PDA

View Full Version : NHC Money before football

H18sry
28-08-2014, 09:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lpee5iaZRg

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

lord bunberry
28-08-2014, 09:52 PM
That should be the fans theme at every game played. Money rules the game, there's no longer a level playing field.

leggeto
They keep moaning but they broke the rules

My_Wife_Camille
The greeting an moaning from Legia is getting tiresome. They broke the rules by fielding an ineligible player and forfeited the match. What's that got to do with money? They have nobody to blame but themselves:rolleyes:

Michael
28-08-2014, 09:54 PM
While football's governing bodies do seem to be primarily concerned with lining their own pockets...I don't see the link in this instance. Whether Celtic are in the tournament or not doesn't really matter to anyone other than their own fans. They're not Real Madrid.

Still, pretty impressive display.

Time For Heroes
28-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Impressive display but they broke the rules.

worcesterhibby
28-08-2014, 10:03 PM
great crowd..great banner…those who are saying they are "Greeting" would be apoplectic if it happened to Hibs. Money has ruined football. Teams Like Hearts and Rangers cheat by spending money they don't have and end up better off with trophies and no debt. Teams like Legia make a tiny clerical error and are punished severely.

Unlike some on here, I'm no Celtic hater, but they were well and truly thumped and should never have been allowed to progress in the CL. The Authorities get all would up and introduce goal line technology that very few leagues can afford in case some darling team like England or Real Madrid have a goal wrongly disallowed, yet the Poles put 6 past celtic and they get chucked out for fielding a player that DID serve his two match ban because someone filled the paperwork in wrong.

Do you really think the same would happen if it had been Real Madrid or Barcelona or Chelsea ? No chance.

lord bunberry
28-08-2014, 10:09 PM
great crowd..great banner…those who are saying they are "Greeting" would be apoplectic if it happened to Hibs. Money has ruined football. Teams Like Hearts and Rangers cheat by spending money they don't have and end up better off with trophies and no debt. Teams like Legia make a tiny clerical error and are punished severely.

Unlike some on here, I'm no Celtic hater, but they were well and truly thumped and should never have been allowed to progress in the CL. The Authorities get all would up and introduce goal line technology that very few leagues can afford in case some darling team like England or Real Madrid have a goal wrongly disallowed, yet the Poles put 6 past celtic and they get chucked out for fielding a player that DID serve his two match ban because someone filled the paperwork in wrong.

Do you really think the same would happen if it had been Real Madrid or Barcelona or Chelsea ? No chance.

Well said.

edinburghhibee
28-08-2014, 10:09 PM
great crowd..great banner…those who are saying they are "Greeting" would be apoplectic if it happened to Hibs. Money has ruined football. Teams Like Hearts and Rangers cheat by spending money they don't have and end up better off with trophies and no debt. Teams like Legia make a tiny clerical error and are punished severely. Unlike some on here, I'm no Celtic hater, but they were well and truly thumped and should never have been allowed to progress in the CL. The Authorities get all would up and introduce goal line technology that very few leagues can afford in case some darling team like England or Real Madrid have a goal wrongly disallowed, yet the Poles put 6 past celtic and they get chucked out for fielding a player that DID serve his two match ban because someone filled the paperwork in wrong. Do you really think the same would happen if it had been Real Madrid or Barcelona or Chelsea ? No chance.

Great post agree 100%

Celtic were humped and didn't deserve to progress. Had that player done anything during the match to alter the course of the result eg score or get a penalty fine but it was an error on the paperwork side of things. In fairness the boy missed the first two games and the first leg of the Celtic game that's his three suspensions.

The Pointer
28-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Impressive display and makes a statement against (I suppose I have to say 'alleged') UEFA corruption in general, not just about Legia's recent travails. I'd like to see that draped from the top of the FF down to the bottom, but it's never going to happen when we can't handle a couple of fans with a wee home made protest banner. As for the flares, PS will have chickens watching that video.

My_Wife_Camille
28-08-2014, 10:29 PM

The rules are rules. They broke them and were punished according to the rules. Nothing to do with money or goal line technology.

As for the last line, we will only know if those teams are ever stupid enough to make the same mistake.

Bronson
28-08-2014, 10:34 PM
Cracking display that, they're spot on as well.

Anyone who thinks their punishment was fair, answer me this: had that been barca who fielded an intelligible player in the last 5 mins when 6-1 up on aggregate, do you seriously think they'd have been given the same treatment? They'd have got a fine and a slap on the wrist and everyone knows it.

Feel for Legia because I think they'd have beaten Maribor and qualified for the CL which would be huge for them, both financially and historically.

NAE NOOKIE
28-08-2014, 10:51 PM

This 100%

Well done the Legia fans .......... As you said this is about the fact that Legia got punted in circumstances a bigger club probably wouldn't have.

CyberSauzee
29-08-2014, 01:09 AM
Just remember Legia missed two penalties in the first leg. Two sitters that would have made it 6-1 in the first leg; thus rendering the 3-0 'win' to Celtic in the second leg to take them through on away goals irrelevant.

Nothing to do with money, but then I'm not a Sheffield United supporter and Carlos Tevez wasn't playing for Legia.

Sylar
29-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Draw for the Europa League group stages is today.

Oh how I hope that Celtc get drawn against Legia Warsaw...

R11Loaded
29-08-2014, 09:35 AM
If anything Maribor should have got a bye!

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

bod
29-08-2014, 09:41 AM
money will soon matter to them when the hefty fine from uefa drops through their letterbox

Hibbyradge
29-08-2014, 09:48 AM

That would be great!

However, it was Legia's own fault they were given a 3-0 loss, no-one else's.

MrSmith
29-08-2014, 09:57 AM

Like your thinking :)

For me, Celtic were humped on the field and should have declined the invitation back in!! They simply were and aren't good enough.

cmcd
29-08-2014, 09:59 AM
That would be great!

However, it was Legia's own fault they were given a 3-0 loss, no-one else's.
Very harsh for me Could understand if the guy had played even half an hour or the game had been in the balance or Celtic had lost 2-1 If this had happened to Hibs i would be ashamed to be in the next round

Mikey09
29-08-2014, 10:24 AM
To everyone saying yeah but they broke the rules.... Correct. But did they really deserve THAT punishment?? It's like getting a jail term for parking on a double yellow line. Common sense should have been used by UEFA here..... But since when did they ever use that!!!

WhileTheChief..
29-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Why would Barca or Chelsea etc be treated differently? That's just conspiracy theory pish.

They weren't kicked out the CL for the offence, they had a 3-0 score awarded against them. Big difference.

They should stop their greeting.

And aye, I would be raging if it was Hibs. Raging at Hibs for ****** it up!

Newry Hibs
29-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Like your thinking :)

For me, Celtic were humped on the field and should have declined the invitation back in!! They simply were and aren't good enough.

I suspect they were 'told' they were in it. Could have been punished themselves if they refused?

Not sure that Celtc can be blamed here tbh.

emerald green
29-08-2014, 11:37 AM
The banner is spot on. 100% correct. Impressive display. Well done. :aok:

Hibbyradge
29-08-2014, 11:48 AM
What should the rules say about teams fielding ineligible players?

Should there be a rule?

Or are people really wanting to leave it to UEFA's discretion?

Sylar
29-08-2014, 11:53 AM
What should the rules say about teams fielding ineligible players?

Should there be a rule?

Or are people really wanting to leave it to UEFA's discretion?

It was a shame as it was clearly bureaucratic rather than a deliberate attempt to break the rules but I can understand why a) Warsaw were punted and b) Celtc were never going to decline the offer to continue.

Sadly, I didn't get my wish - Celtc got Salzburg, Dinamo Zagreb and Astra Giurgiu (Romanian)

lord bunberry
29-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Why would Barca or Chelsea etc be treated differently? That's just conspiracy theory pish.

They weren't kicked out the CL for the offence, they had a 3-0 score awarded against them. Big difference.

They should stop their greeting.

And aye, I would be raging if it was Hibs. Raging at Hibs for ****** it up!
The champions league without Barcelona would be less appealing to sponsors and TV audiences, L Warsaw not being in it makes little difference. UEFA have got history in moving the goalposts to get bigger teams into competitions.

emerald green
29-08-2014, 12:02 PM
The champions league without Barcelona would be less appealing to sponsors and TV audiences, L Warsaw not being in it makes little difference. UEFA have got history in moving the goalposts to get bigger teams into competitions.

Yep, money talks as they say. It applies in football just like anywhere else.

OK Legia broke the rules. "Rules are rules" I've heard it said. :rolleyes: It's just a shame there's no room for common sense and/or discretion when it comes to matters like this.

Celtic and others were very big on "sporting integrity" fairly recently. That goes right out the window when they were looking after number one of course.

One Day Soon
29-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Superb protest beautifully executed.

They were naive to think that their minor infringement would be overlooked and even more naive to think that Celtc and/or UEFA would play to the spirit of the game. Both institutions have shown a long track record of trampling over the interests of others to grub money for themselves. UEFA in respect of sucking up to any sponsor and coming very late to issues like racism. Celtc in their role as one half of the Ugly Sisters happily reaping the Scotland wide dividend which they and The Rangers get from that revolting divide that fuels the size of their supports - never mind conspiring to slant the rules and the finances in their favour over decades.

As for that absolute fool with the comment beneath the you tube vid which says: "****in weans. No respect for the rules and expect to be treated as the victim. Perfect example of what's wrong with the world right there". Do you think he's ever heard of irony coming from a follower of that club?

Hibbyradge
29-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Yep, money talks as they say. It applies in football just like anywhere else.

OK Legia broke the rules. "Rules are rules" I've heard it said. :rolleyes: It's just a shame there's no room for common sense and/or discretion when it comes to matters like this.

I agree, it is a shame, and Legia must feel hard done to.

Where should UEFA draw the line?

In what circumstances should a team be allowed to field an ineligible player? How many ineligible players can a team field before the rules kick in? How many minutes can they play? What happens if they score? What if an opposition player is marking them when another player scores? How many goals does a team need to win by to be excused for fielding an ineligible player?

Football lawyers would love UEFA to go down that road. Not to mention Celtc's.

As it stands, Legia Warsaw broke the rules, deliberately or not. The folk arguing that UEFA should have allowed them to qualify anyway, are wanting them to break the rules too.

WhileTheChief..
29-08-2014, 06:11 PM

Ok, i take your point. However, taking that theory to extremes, why are Man Utd or AC Milan not in Europe this year?? Is there a list of special clubs that can get these benefits from UEFA? Who decides?

I just don't buy it. Folk are complaining cause it's Celtic that benefited. If Malmo or whoever had gone through at Warsaw's expense would anyone care?

It's too easy just to blame money. Warsaw need to take it on the chin and learn. Bet it won't happen to them or anyone else again!!

emerald green
29-08-2014, 06:38 PM
I agree, it is a shame, and Legia must feel hard done to.

Where should UEFA draw the line?

In what circumstances should a team be allowed to field an ineligible player? How many ineligible players can a team field before the rules kick in? How many minutes can they play? What happens if they score? What if an opposition player is marking them when another player scores? How many goals does a team need to win by to be excused for fielding an ineligible player?

Football lawyers would love UEFA to go down that road. Not to mention Celtc's.

As it stands, Legia Warsaw broke the rules, deliberately or not. The folk arguing that UEFA should have allowed them to qualify anyway, are wanting them to break the rules too.

These are all good, and relevant, questions you raise. I sure don't have the answers to all of them that's for sure!

I'm not really wanting EUFA to "break the rules" as such. What I'm suggesting is that in clear-cut cases like this where a team has won both legs, and by such a convincing margin, can there never be any room for an independent adjudicator to look at the situation and assess how significant the breach of the rules has been, and come up with a ruling binding on both clubs?

It's a difficult one this, I agree. I don't know in this case whether Legia broke the rules deliberately, or not. Has that ever been established? That's something an adjudicator could look at as part of his/her investigation perhaps?

blackpoolhibs
29-08-2014, 07:05 PM
These are all good, and relevant, questions you raise. I sure don't have the answers to all of them that's for sure!

I'm not really wanting EUFA to "break the rules" as such. What I'm suggesting is that in clear-cut cases like this where a team has won both legs, and by such a convincing margin, can there never be any room for an independent adjudicator to look at the situation and assess how significant the breach of the rules has been, and come up with a ruling binding on both clubs?

It's a difficult one this, I agree. I don't know in this case whether Legia broke the rules deliberately, or not. Has that ever been established? That's something an adjudicator could look at as part of his/her investigation perhaps?

I cant believe anyone wants the rules to be that vague anything could happen if a team flout the rules? That would leave it open to all those who say it would never happen to Barcelona to actually happen?

Playing an illegal player gives the opposition team a 3-0 win. If they had put away just one of their 2 missed penalty's it wouldn't have mattered.

This has nothing to do with money before football, just rules before idiot administrators like the one who works for Warsaw.

emerald green
29-08-2014, 07:18 PM
I cant believe anyone wants the rules to be that vague anything could happen if a team flout the rules? That would leave it open to all those who say it would never happen to Barcelona to actually happen?

Playing an illegal player gives the opposition team a 3-0 win. If they had put away just one of their 2 missed penalty's it wouldn't have mattered.

This has nothing to do with money before football, just rules before idiot administrators like the one who works for Warsaw.

I'm not saying EUFA should rip up the rule book, or the rules to be in any way vague.

The thing here was that Legia didn't put away any of their two penalties, still won the tie 6-1, and fielded an illegible player as a very late substitute I think? It didn't make any difference to the outcome of the tie whatsoever.

I'm just suggesting an independent adjudicator might be an option to look at cases like this. I agree though that it's difficult to know where to draw the line, and I accept that it will probably never happen.

Being the naïve romantic that I am I just like to see justice being done. :wink:

Eyrie
29-08-2014, 07:24 PM
The player was under contract to Legia who didn't include him in their squad for the previous round because he was suspended.

Common sense would dictate that is a very different scenario to him featuring in their home game against Septic, which was one of the three games that he was ineligible for.

A rule that requires a suspended player to take up a spot in a squad so that he can serve a suspension needs fixed.

lord bunberry
29-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Ok, i take your point. However, taking that theory to extremes, why are Man Utd or AC Milan not in Europe this year?? Is there a list of special clubs that can get these benefits from UEFA? Who decides?

I just don't buy it. Folk are complaining cause it's Celtic that benefited. If Malmo or whoever had gone through at Warsaw's expense would anyone care?

It's too easy just to blame money. Warsaw need to take it on the chin and learn. Bet it won't happen to them or anyone else again!!

Rules are rules except when the rules don't suit UEFA, remember when Liverpool won the champions league, they didn't qualify for the next seasons competition so UEFA changed the rules to allow them in. A few years ago France ended up in the playoffs for the World Cup, up until that point the playoffs were unseeded, but that was changed to give France an easier game.

ScottB
30-08-2014, 12:27 AM
Legia played a player who wasn't eligible, they got the punishment the rulebook specifies. I have to say, I'm at a loss as to how that's corrupt.

Whether it's an overly harsh punishment or not is neither here nor there. What some people are suggesting here is that the rulebook should have been ignored to the benefit of Legia. Isn't that corrupt?

I suspect this is more a reflection of some people having a strong dislike for Celtic, than anything else. In any case, Celtic are an utter irrelevance in the grand scheme, you could make a case for UEFA trying to bend the rules to save a Real Madrid, but nobody outside of Scotland and maybe Ireland is going to care one jot if the lesser greens are there or not.

weonlywon6-2
30-08-2014, 01:10 AM

Great post

blackpoolhibs
30-08-2014, 06:50 AM
I'm not saying EUFA should rip up the rule book, or the rules to be in any way vague.

The thing here was that Legia didn't put away any of their two penalties, still won the tie 6-1, and fielded an illegible player as a very late substitute I think? It didn't make any difference to the outcome of the tie whatsoever.

I'm just suggesting an independent adjudicator might be an option to look at cases like this. I agree though that it's difficult to know where to draw the line, and I accept that it will probably never happen.

Being the naïve romantic that I am I just like to see justice being done. :wink:

Never going to happen, one persons independent adjudicator is another persons corrupt got at judge. Rules need to be there so everyone knows them from the very start.

lord bunberry
30-08-2014, 07:55 AM
Never going to happen, one persons independent adjudicator is another persons corrupt got at judge. Rules need to be there so everyone knows them from the very start.

I agree but do you think that if it had been Barcelona that had committed the same offence they would have been kicked out. The player served his 3 game ban.

blackpoolhibs
30-08-2014, 08:01 AM
I agree but do you think that if it had been Barcelona that had committed the same offence they would have been kicked out. The player served his 3 game ban.

Legia Warsaw were not kicked out, the rule is if you do what they did the opposition are awarded a 3-0 win, had they won 4-0 at home they'd have gone through.

If Barcelona had done the same thing, they would be on the receiving end of a 3-0 defeat, and may be eliminated depending on the score overall from the 2 games played home and away.

lord bunberry
30-08-2014, 08:07 AM
Legia Warsaw were not kicked out, the rule is if you do what they did the opposition are awarded a 3-0 win, had they won 4-0 at home they'd have gone through.

If Barcelona had done the same thing, they would be on the receiving end of a 3-0 defeat, and may be eliminated depending on the score overall from the 2 games played home and away.

I think the rules would have been bent to allow them another chance, or it would have been hushed up. The player in question missed 3 games that he was banned for.

Caversham Green
30-08-2014, 08:36 AM
I think the rules would have been bent to allow them another chance, or it would have been hushed up. The player in question missed 3 games that he was banned for.

I think that's a valid point. Since he didn't play for three games after his sending off it could be argued that his suspension was served and the crime was filing incorrect team sheets for those three games rather than fielding a suspended player. He wasn't ineligible - if he had been the punishment would more likely have been a fine based on the Peter Mate precedent. Of course, in domestic club football a suspended player may not be listed in the team sheet whereas it appears that he must be in international club football - that maybe makes Legia's error a bit more understandable.

The real point here is that the punishment is unjustly heavy for the crime committed (whether that was incorrect team sheets or fielding a suspended player for two minutes when the tie had already been won and lost). That means that on the face of it the law is badly written, or not intended to cover this sort of misdemeanour. I would argue that there should always be scope for each case being considered on its merits, probably at the Court of Arbitration for Sport - even murderers have that privilege - but it appears there was no such scope here. The fault does appear to lie with the legislators rather than the administrators though.