PDA

View Full Version : Hull City

Canongatehibs
28-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Knocked out the EL by Lokeren this evening. Quite pathetic when you consider the sending that's gone on and the money they have compared to Lokeren.
Lokeren are hardly the cream of Euro football!

Gus
28-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Hull are hardly the cream of European football

Good professional job by Spurs

weecounty hibby
28-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Good to see in my opinion. Two bit clubs being artificially propped up by vast sums of money from Sky tv. EPL is sickening, there are clubs there no bigger than Hibs spending millions of pounds

CB_NO3
28-08-2014, 09:03 PM
You can't blame Hull tbh. They could go on a good European run, play Thursday, Sunday, Thursday, Sunday and earn about 5 million and have a squad struggling with injuries and so on, and there is a good chance they could get relegated. On the other hand they could keep a fully fit squad and have a better chance of staying in the EPL and make about 30 to 40 million so you can see were the priorities lie.

The whole system is wrong IMO. A team like Hull should be delighted to be in Europe but its not the case. I blame Sky.

worcesterhibby
28-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Rupert Murdoch is the excrement Midas…everything he touches turns to Tom Kite

Michael
28-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Would be better if Europa League was a knockout tournament IMO. Seems there's usually a few teams in it that simply don't have large enough squads to deal with the group stage.

heretoday
28-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Hull are ok. Loyal support. Tidy club.

Hank Schrader
28-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Knocked out the EL by Lokeren this evening. Quite pathetic when you consider the sending that's gone on and the money they have compared to Lokeren.
Lokeren are hardly the cream of Euro football!

Hardly the cream of European football yet they've played in Europe on numerous occasions whilst this is Hulls first ever campaign.

Lokeren are former quarter finalists in the competitions old format.

Bruceb1875
29-08-2014, 12:59 AM
Hull are ok. Loyal support. Tidy club.
Aye hull are Good club... Was at the Hull City v Liverpool game last season and they beat Liverpool 3:1
great day great stadium great fans.

HH81
29-08-2014, 04:49 AM
I remember going to their old ground, they were a poor club back then.

Gus
29-08-2014, 05:53 AM
Good to see in my opinion. Two bit clubs being artificially propped up by vast sums of money from Sky tv. EPL is sickening, there are clubs there no bigger than Hibs spending millions of pounds

No bigger than Hibs? Really

Speedy
29-08-2014, 07:49 AM

I think that's a fair comment.

heretoday
29-08-2014, 07:51 AM

Perhaps not historically, no.

But how long does history last?

They're bigger than us now.

Keith_M
29-08-2014, 08:12 AM

I think the point is that they're only bigger than Hibs now because of the crazy money thrown at them in the last few years. They were a nothing club with very little support, playing in a town obsessed with Rugby League.

Throw the same kind of money at Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen and we'd be playing in front of massive crowds.

NAE NOOKIE
29-08-2014, 08:33 AM
That's the EPL paradox .... qualifying for the Europa league is the aim for the likes of Hull, but the actual competition is a distraction because staying in the league is so vital. The money for doing well in Europe is nothing compared to the losses for relegation. Still a poor show by Hull considering the money they spend on players.

As for Hibs being bigger than Hull City. We are ... if Hull dropped back to the level they were at 10 years ago they would go back to the crowds of a couple of thousand they have historically had. The crowds they get now are attracted by the EPL not by the towns massive loyalty to its football club. No offence to the hard core who have always stuck by them ........ Respect.

Any suggestion that Hibs are bigger than Tottenham Hotspur is ridiculous.

Canongatehibs
29-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Hardly the cream of European football yet they've played in Europe on numerous occasions whilst this is Hulls first ever campaign.

Lokeren are former quarter finalists in the competitions old format.

So what. I could rattle off dozens of old football teams who once were great in Europe. Means nothing. Fact is, Hull have fortunes compared to the team who knocked them out.

green&left
29-08-2014, 10:59 AM

Yes.

Bizarre folk teams actually think Fulham, Wigan and Hull are big clubs in European football due to their average finishes of 17th place in the Barclay's Premier League. Even more bizarre clubs like Hull think they are too big.

Their fans seemed rightly pissed off. A chance off possibly seeing the likes of Feynoord, Celtic, Napoli, Seville, Inter, Beşiktaş etc etc at your ground completely donald ducked so you've got an alleged better chance of drawing 1-1 home to Stoke.

DH1875
29-08-2014, 04:45 PM
No bigger than Hibs? ReallyI agree with him. Infact, IF we played in the EPL we'd be an even bigger club than hull.

Canongatehibs
29-08-2014, 06:55 PM
I agree with him. Infact, IF we played in the EPL we'd be an even bigger club than hull.

Agreed. Half the clubs who are fortunate enough to make it into the EPL are simply in the right league at the right time. Fabulously wealthy people simply investing in these once small clubs for obvious reasons.

LancashireHibby
29-08-2014, 06:59 PM
I remember going to their old ground, they were a poor club back then.
And a horrible set of fans as well. Had to run the gauntlet there and it was only an LDV First Round game!

MWHIBBIES
29-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Yes.

Bizarre folk teams actually think Fulham, Wigan and Hull are big clubs in European football due to their average finishes of 17th place in the Barclay's Premier League. Even more bizarre clubs like Hull think they are too big.

Their fans seemed rightly pissed off. A chance off possibly seeing the likes of Feynoord, Celtic, Napoli, Seville, Inter, Beşiktaş etc etc at your ground completely donald ducked so you've got an alleged better chance of drawing 1-1 home to Stoke.1-1 at home to Stoke after playing 80 minutes with 10 men is a good result tbh.

West Upper
29-08-2014, 11:12 PM
All this talk of as big as Hibs........................Hibs are minnows compared to Hull, like it or not that's the present reality.

CB_NO3
30-08-2014, 12:10 AM
All this talk of as big as Hibs........................Hibs are minnows compared to Hull, like it or not that's the present reality.
Yes we get your point. Hull are currently bigger than Glasgow Celtic. Tom Ince signed for Hull instead of Inter Milan. Get your head round that one. If Sky gave Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen 40 odd million a season we could clearly get 30k a week playing the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal.

NAE NOOKIE
30-08-2014, 02:04 AM

Sorry mate but putting it into present reality is putting it out of context.

Yes Hull are currently bigger than Hibs .... but that's only coz they are in the EPL. The truth is they are way below Hibs status as a football club both in their place in the history of the game and the numbers and loyalty of the support they attract. There was a time that Luton Town could have claimed to be bigger than Hibs ...... where are they now? Hull are in that bracket ... a Johnny come lately who will burn bright for a time and then fade back into obscurity, as will the 90% of their current support who wanted sod all to do with them until their very recent flirtation with the EPL big boys .

In terms of their status as a football club both in stature and past and future supporter loyalty Hull City are not even in the same universe as Hibs, never mind bigger.

HH81
30-08-2014, 05:06 AM
Hull used to be league two playing here..

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/old-grounds-and-stands/boothferry_park_hull.htm

Scouse Hibee
30-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Sorry mate but putting it into present reality is putting it out of context.

Yes Hull are currently bigger than Hibs .... but that's only coz they are in the EPL. The truth is they are way below Hibs status as a football club both in their place in the history of the game and the numbers and loyalty of the support they attract. There was a time that Luton Town could have claimed to be bigger than Hibs ...... where are they now? Hull are in that bracket ... a Johnny come lately who will burn bright for a time and then fade back into obscurity, as will the 90% of their current support who wanted sod all to do with them until their very recent flirtation with the EPL big boys .

In terms of their status as a football club both in stature and past and future supporter loyalty Hull City are not even in the same universe as Hibs, never mind bigger.

Surely you could use the same argument the other way round, Hibs are now in the Championship, we are in obscurity, there is no guarantee we will ever return to bigger things, and our support is no different, it is dwindling and if this slump continues even more of our support will want sod all to do with us.
Hope it doesn't work out that way but..............................

Scouse Hibee
30-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Surely you could use the same argument the other way round, Hibs are now in the Championship, we are in obscurity, there is no guarantee we will ever return to bigger things, and our support is no different, it is dwindling and if this slump continues even more of our support will want sod all to do with us.

As I said!

NAE NOOKIE
31-08-2014, 12:06 AM

My take on it is based on what I know of the history of both clubs. There is evidence that Hibs support ( up and down though it can be ) is always willing to turn out and stick with the club over a number of decades. The same as far as I can see has not applied to Hull City who until very recently were an afterthought in their own city, never mind English football.

Unlike Hibs there is no evidence to suggest that if the time comes when they return to the lower leagues they will not drop back to 2 or 3 thousand crowds they had before, or that they would ever be able to regain their lofty position.

Pete
31-08-2014, 12:30 AM
Hull used to be league two playing here..

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/old-grounds-and-stands/boothferry_park_hull.htm

The only ground in the UK to have it's very own railway station I believe.