PDA

View Full Version : Heffernan turns down St Johnstone move

Hibs1992
28-08-2014, 11:22 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-striker-saint-for-leaving-1-3523159

Paul Heffernan has knocked back the chance of a quick-fire return to the Premiership to play his part in Hibs’ battle back to the top flight, boss Alan Stubbs revealed today.
St Johnstone, seeking to beef up their strikeforce after top scorer Stevie May’s £800,000 move to Sheffield Wednesday, made an enquiry about the 32-year-old hitman, pictured. It is understood a two-year deal and a higher wage were on offer but the much-travelled Heffernan, a surprise signing by former manager Pat Fenlon when he was released by Kilmarnock last summer, gave them short shrift – much to Stubbs’ delight. The head coach said: “Paul did not want to go. He said he loves it here and wants to stay and fight for his place. I’m happy with that, it’s really great for the club’s point of view and mine that we have players who do not want to leave.
“It tells you that maybe we are doing something right.”

Saints have now turned to Dundee United’s Brian Graham, with the striker set to agree a one-year loan deal at McDiarmid Park.
Stubbs also disclosed he’s hoping to make further additions to his squad before the transfer window closes on Monday, former Bristol City captain Liam Fontaine having become his sixth signing of the summer only hours before the defender made his debut in the dramatic League Cup win over Dumbarton.
The 28-year-old came in to replace veteran stopper Michael Nelson, who moved to Cambridge United after being told he couldn’t be guaranteed a starting place, but today Stubbs insisted any further arrivals wouldn’t be dependent on others leaving. He said: “We are very active behind the scenes, looking at who is available but we’ll have to wait and see.”

Meanwhile, Hibs chief executive Leeann Dempster will host a series of three meetings with fans next week as wide-ranging discussions with supporters regarding the future of the club get underway.

Around 200 fans will have their say each night – Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday – with Dempster promising that “nothing is off the table,” as she expects the debates, being held with the full backing of club owner Sir Tom Farmer, to cover topics such as club ownership, fans’ representation on the board and membership schemes.

Dempster revealed the Hibs directors have been working on the future face of the club for some time and insisted the talks with fans are not as a knee-jerk reaction to the Forever Hibernian campaign being spearheaded by former player Paul Kane or the rejected takeover bid by David Low and his consortium.
She said: “I don’t expect anything will be sorted in two weeks or two months. These will be major changes in direction when we do take them.”

Winston Ingram
28-08-2014, 11:26 AM
:grr:

DC_Hibs
28-08-2014, 11:31 AM

Indeed. Would have told him he'd be training with the kids and not part of plans.

Assuming Stubby la' planned to replace him.

The Harp Awakes
28-08-2014, 11:32 AM

Good. The big question mark over PH is his fitness but if that improves then he can score a barrowload of goals in this league.

Hibs7
28-08-2014, 11:33 AM
Doesn't look like Stubbs wants to let him go ... Must see something we don't .. Also says a lot about Heff not running away ?

Beefster
28-08-2014, 11:34 AM
On the one day that I'm in a good mood, this comes out. I'm ****ing miserable now.

frazeHFC
28-08-2014, 11:35 AM
He's not been very good for a while now. But if he wants to stay so he can fight for his place and try help us recover from the mess then I'm more than happy. A bit of commitment and wanting to play for the badge and not just for money is what we've lacked in recent years.

Keith_M
28-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Good. The big question mark over PH is his fitness but if that improves then he can score a barrowload of goals in this league.

I keep reading that but I'm not convinced. How many of the chances he's had has he put away so far?

Billy Whizz
28-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Maybe after a payout as he's still under contract, or looking for something a bit nearer home

Hibs7
28-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Maybe after a payout as he's still under contract, or looking for something a bit nearer home

Or maybe he is saying it as it is . .... Surprise surprise someone tells the truth . I hope he comes good and makes all you doubters eat your words !

gegs70
28-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Interesting that heff would turn down a move to St Johnstone, I do think hevis a good player but perhaps injuries have been a problem also he has very little pace!

To make a proper impact on this division we need a strong squad one that will be capable of competing inthe premier unfortunately I think we are still a bit away from this, we will see aaas there is still a few days of the transfer market left??

Hibs1992
28-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Think it's fair to say we've not seen the best of Heffernan. I remember he scored in back to back games against St Johnstone and St Mirren and has really struggled with injury since then. Whether or not he is capable of getting back to full fitness is debatable, he certainly looks way off the pace so far this season.

It felt like a deal that would have been beneficial for both parties as sometimes a player just doesn't click at a club and it would have allowed Heffernan to move to a decent SPFL side and would have freed up a wage for us to get another striker in.

Feel pretty disappointed that he has chosen to stay but will obviously give him support and hope that he proves me wrong.

DC_Hibs
28-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Doesn't look like Stubbs wants to let him go ... Must see something we don't .
If that was the case would we have let him speak to them when we were getting brussel sprout in return?

He'd have been happy to free up another wage.

Spike Mandela
28-08-2014, 11:48 AM
We need to get rid of duds like this so that Stubbs can bring in players to improve the squad. Not good news.

Bronson
28-08-2014, 11:56 AM
This is good news IMO, he'll score goals at this level and we're a bit light up top as it is.

allezsauzee
28-08-2014, 12:00 PM
He has a decent scoring record playing in a division higher than we are in at the moment and St Johnstone, a top 6 SPFL club fancy signing him. I think you need differentiate 'Dud' from 'player yet to hit form this season'. We seem to be making a habit of getting rid of 'duds' that go on to be regulars for better teams than Hibs.

Smartie
28-08-2014, 12:02 PM
Tin hat on here....

His finishing last Saturday was woeful and a major part in us going on to lose the game and after all scoring is the main thing that strikers are paid to do.

I actually thought his play was otherwise excellent in the first half. He has a good touch and when he dropped off I thought he played an integral part in getting Booth and Kennedy involved down our left and helping to get us into positions to create the chances that we ultimately missed.

I always hated playing against him when he was at Killie as he seemed a clever player that got into good positions to cause us problems.

I wouldn't be against him staying but we've definitely not seen the best of him at Hibs. I worry that he's another of those players tainted so much by his association with our relegation that our fans just aren't going to give him a fair crack of the whip, unlike Stubbs who seems to be able to judge players on merit.

Paloschi
28-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Gutted.

He has been a failure and should go. If there is a 1 in 1 out policy then this is terrible news.

Craig, Robertson and OTJ fall into this bracket. Harsh on Robertson as he gives 100% but they have failed to improve us. These 4 must go with 4 replacements: A striker, A playmaker, A holding midfielder x2.

leggeto
28-08-2014, 12:13 PM
He wants to stay,he's not hiding, it would have been the easy option to run

tamig
Glad Heff is staying. I still reckon he's the best finisher we have although he has missed a few in the games he's played to date this season. He's not been alone there though. Hoping the new fitness coach can have a positive impact on him.

Franck Stanton
I, for one am pleased with this news, Heff has proven he can score goals given service. No, he won't pick up the ball at the half-way line, dribble past the entire defence and score from 20 yards, that is not his forte, he will however thrive on balls played across the penalty box, be in the right place for Farids knock-downs, poke the ball home in a "goalmouth stramash", takes all types of player to make a team. Good to see a player not jump ship just because there is more money on the table.

tamig
28-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Tin hat on here....

His finishing last Saturday was woeful and a major part in us going on to lose the game and after all scoring is the main thing that strikers are paid to do.

I actually thought his play was otherwise excellent in the first half. He has a good touch and when he dropped off I thought he played an integral part in getting Booth and Kennedy involved down our left and helping to get us into positions to create the chances that we ultimately missed.

I always hated playing against him when he was at Killie as he seemed a clever player that got into good positions to cause us problems.

I wouldn't be against him staying but we've definitely not seen the best of him at Hibs. I worry that he's another of those players tainted so much by his association with our relegation that our fans just aren't going to give him a fair crack of the whip, unlike Stubbs who seems to be able to judge players on merit.
Totally agree bud.

Paloschi
28-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Glad Heff is staying. I still reckon he's the best finisher we have although he has missed a few in the games he's played to date this season. He's not been alone there though. Hoping the new fitness coach can have a positive impact on him.

So you reckon he is a better finisher than Farid who has scored 4 in 5 games? Heffernan has hardly managed that!

I'm not having a go and respect your opinion but surely Farid is proving to be a better striker?

Edit: according to Wiki Heff has 4 in 20 appearences.

tamig
28-08-2014, 12:18 PM
So you reckon he is a better finisher than Farid who has scored 4 in 5 games? Heffernan has hardly managed that!

I'm not having a go and respect your opinion but surely Farid is proving to be a better striker?
And how many good chances has Farid also blown? I do think he's a better finisher. Farid is a better all round player. Imo of course.

Paloschi
28-08-2014, 12:20 PM
And how many good chances has Farid also blown? I do think he's a better finisher. Farid is a better all round player. Imo of course.

Fair do's!

Winston Ingram
28-08-2014, 12:21 PM

There is more than a question mark about his fitness. I'm struggling to think of an aspect of his game which hasn't got a question mark on it.

blackpoolhibs
28-08-2014, 12:30 PM
He's been a complete failure from day 1, there may be mitigating circumstance but deary me we need much more than what he offers.

JimBHibees
28-08-2014, 12:36 PM
On the one day that I'm in a good mood, this comes out. I'm ****ing miserable now.

I would take what has been said with a pinch of salt. I would assume given his record in England lower league teams will be options also. Lets see if he is still here after Monday, I think he wont be. In many ways I think he has played the last 2 home league games to be put in the window for a move.

DarrenSQH
28-08-2014, 12:36 PM
More money in a higher league and he says no.

Nightmare, We could have used his wage for a decent forward.

MWHIBBIES
28-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Needs a goal to get going, he hasn't had much luck but gets himself into good positions and could easily score 15 this season if he can stay fit. Has also shown he can have an impact from the bench in the past so is certainly worth keeping around.

J-C
28-08-2014, 12:41 PM
I still think it was absolutely shocking that 30+ year old players were getting 2 year deals at ER, Nelson another who should've had 1 year only at his age and level.

JimBHibees
28-08-2014, 12:46 PM
I still think it was absolutely shocking that 30+ year old players were getting 2 year deals at ER, Nelson another who should've had 1 year only at his age and level.

Depends how strong your bargaining position is.

bigwheel
28-08-2014, 12:48 PM
I think it's great that a player is choosing to stay with us . I can't recall a player in recent times doing this - a real endorsement of what's happening at the club - last season they would have been running for the door !

greenpaper55
28-08-2014, 12:49 PM
I think it's great that a player is choosing to stay with us . I can't recall a player in recent times doing this - a real endorsement of what's happening at the club - last season they would have been running for the door !

Or the other team are paying less wages !.

MWHIBBIES
28-08-2014, 12:53 PM
I still think it was absolutely shocking that 30+ year old players were getting 2 year deals at ER, Nelson another who should've had 1 year only at his age and level.I find it shocking that people are so ignorant as to believe 30+ year old players shouldn't get 2 or more year deals at Easter Road if they are good enough. What if a 30 year old comes in and scores 25 goals for us this season? Do we just have to accept losing him at the end of the season when someone else comes in for him because of our new 1 year deals for over 30s policy?

PeterboroHibee
28-08-2014, 12:56 PM
I like his commitment to the club, and I hope he can start scoring goals, but based on what weve seen over the last year and a bit, I cant say I would have been disappointed had he gone and we were in the position to sign someone else. Seems a daft decision from his point of view though, I thought he would have jumped at another couple of years on more money and at a higher level, especially given that hes 33 in a couple of months.

Phil MaGlass
28-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Or the other team are paying less wages !.

I think they were offering more from what one of the articles said??

HappyHibby93
28-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Fair play to the guy, he seems to want to put things right after last season. We can't knock him for that. Hopefully he gets himself a bit sharper. I could see him scoring 10-15 goals for us this year. Double that up with Farid's total, well not be to bad in the goals department

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibiza
28-08-2014, 01:07 PM
High time he started scoring some goals.

Steve20
28-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Fair play to him for wanting to stay and try to help us get back up. I don't think he's good enough and I still don't know where people get the idea he'll score lots of goals from. Ideally, he'd pick a club up somewhere and we could bring in a better replacement.

yankyhibby
28-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Fair play to him for wanting to stay and try to help us get back up. I don't think he's good enough and I still don't know where people get the idea he'll score lots of goals from. Ideally, he'd pick a club up somewhere and we could bring in a better replacement.

I want to believe that he still has it in him to score goals regularly, especially in this division, but he has a lot of work to do to convince me that he is the player of old. If he scores 15-20 goals then I'll be more than happy to sing his praises!

ekhibee
28-08-2014, 01:31 PM
He's hardly set the world alight since he signed for us. Even allowing for injuries and one or two games to get him up to full speed, he's not really produced it on the park. I say full speed, he's not really that speedy anyway. We do need another striker, and IMO Heffernan staying makes that look unlikely.

J-C
28-08-2014, 01:39 PM
I find it shocking that people are so ignorant as to believe 30+ year old players shouldn't get 2 or more year deals at Easter Road if they are good enough. What if a 30 year old comes in and scores 25 goals for us this season? Do we just have to accept losing him at the end of the season when someone else comes in for him because of our new 1 year deals for over 30s policy?

These two ( Heff and Nelson ) were/are past there best and were panic buys at the end of the window, a 1 year deal should've been all they got but no, we've been lumbered with them for 1 more year ( at least Nelson is gone ). Nothing against 30+ players as long as these playersare of a decent quality, McFadden etc.

MWHIBBIES
28-08-2014, 01:45 PM
These two ( Heff and Nelson ) were/are past there best and were panic buys at the end of the window, a 1 year deal should've been all they got but no, we've been lumbered with them for 1 more year ( at least Nelson is gone ). Nothing against 30+ players as long as these playersare of a decent quality, McFadden etc.And what if they had both been brilliant for us and walked away to somewhere else on frees?

ekhibee
28-08-2014, 01:49 PM
And what if they had both been brilliant for us and walked away to somewhere else on frees?
but they weren't.

truehibernian
28-08-2014, 01:50 PM
I'd rather he left and we got a more mobile, energetic striker.

marinello59
28-08-2014, 01:55 PM
These two ( Heff and Nelson ) were/are past there best and were panic buys at the end of the window, a 1 year deal should've been all they got but no, we've been lumbered with them for 1 more year ( at least Nelson is gone ). Nothing against 30+ players as long as these playersare of a decent quality, McFadden etc.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We were crying out for some experienced pro's to be added to our side and those two both met the criteria. It's unfortunate that Heffernan has had his problems with injuries but Nelson had far more good games than many here would give him credit for. There was nothing wrong with offering them 2 year deals at the time, many here were crying out for a bit of stability and less loans and 1 year deals.

bigwheel
28-08-2014, 01:57 PM
we've spent years with players heading for the doors at the first opportunity - let's just celebrate he wants to stay!

silverhibee
28-08-2014, 02:00 PM
He's been a complete failure from day 1, there may be mitigating circumstance but deary me we need much more than what he offers.

Just staying fit for a couple of months would be a bonus, he seems to have been injured for most of his time with us.

greenlex
28-08-2014, 02:04 PM
He's a striker. We need goals. A fully fit Heff will score goals.OK he has hardly been prolific but his appearances have been limited. Yes he has missed good chances but every striker does. Some go months without scoring before the touch returns. I'm glad he wants to stay to be honest and if he is doing it for less money then that says an awful lot about the guy. Let's get behind him and not make him the latest in a long line of scapegoats when things go wrong.

Zazu62
28-08-2014, 02:05 PM
C'mon Heff start banging them in son

HappyAsHellas
28-08-2014, 02:18 PM
Heff was always more prolific in a 4-4-2 starting line up and it may take him a bit to get used to new formations and style of play. After we switched to 4-4-2 on Tuesday, we scored the goals so maybe AS will switch to this in the future. He has got goals in him, and if fully fit I hope he starts getting them in sooner rather than later. Turning down money to stay? Brilliant. Well done Heff.

macd123
28-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Just staying fit for a couple of months would be a bonus, he seems to have been injured for most of his time with us.

Agreed. He is 33 but not a fit 33.

Winston Ingram
28-08-2014, 02:31 PM
High time he started scoring some goals.

i'd settle for him getting a couple of touches of the ball first:aok:

Tyler Durden
28-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Heff was always more prolific in a 4-4-2 starting line up and it may take him a bit to get used to new formations and style of play. After we switched to 4-4-2 on Tuesday, we scored the goals so maybe AS will switch to this in the future. He has got goals in him, and if fully fit I hope he starts getting them in sooner rather than later. Turning down money to stay? Brilliant. Well done Heff.

We have played 4-4-2 in both league home games and he's started both, missing 3 or 4 sitters over the piece.

Hopefully he is waiting on a better offer.

macd123
28-08-2014, 02:40 PM
They don't do biscuits on a Friday at St Johnstone

BSEJVT
28-08-2014, 02:45 PM

Other than past performance ( which is no guarantee) I am not sure why quite so many folk are creaming themselves that McFadden might join us.

I saw nothing last season to suggest that he would be the saviour we all desire

I think it speaks volumes for his attitude / present ability that the window is nearly closed and he still hasn't signed for anyone.

We have had more than our fair share of guys here to take the money rather than contribute and I don't see anything different in McFadden

By the way I am gutted Heffernan is staying, whatever was once there is long gone. do the names Kuqi or Johannson(sp) ring any bells?

SanFranHibs
28-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Was an offer actually made? If so, am I right in thinking we might have even got a little cash out the deal?

If AS is happy he is staying does anyone think that it may be because he knows that we will not be getting anyone else in before Monday or at least anyone that might contribute to the goals tally?

We have been linked with a couple of other players but no forwards or attacking midfielders yet unless I have missed something.

A question to those that have seen him playing, does he look as if he getting near a fitness level that he had when he first came to ER.

If I got to choose I would have Cummings starting before him. Cummings needs a run of a few games as a starter. Younger with more upside to him than Heffernan in my opinion.

ekhibee
28-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Was an offer actually made? If so, am I right in thinking we might have even got a little cash out the deal?

If AS is happy he is staying does anyone think that it may be because he knows that we will not be getting anyone else in before Monday or at least anyone that might contribute to the goals tally?

We have been linked with a couple of other players but no forwards or attacking midfielders yet unless I have missed something.

A question to those that have seen him playing, does he look as if he getting near a fitness level that he had when he first came to ER.

If I got to choose I would have Cummings starting before him. Cummings needs a run of a few games as a starter. Younger with more upside to him than Heffernan in my opinion.
In answer to your question, no.

JimBHibees
28-08-2014, 03:10 PM
I still think he will move and will go to a lower league English club prior to the window ending. This story coming out will more than likely increase the interest in him IMO.

sesoim
28-08-2014, 03:12 PM
I still think he will move and will go to a lower league English club prior to the window ending. This story coming out will more than likely increase the interest in him IMO.

Hopefully. We need his wages to put towards somone who can actually score goals for us.

lucky
28-08-2014, 03:31 PM
How can StJ afford to pay more than Hibs even allowing for us being in a lower league?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
28-08-2014, 03:32 PM
How can StJ afford to pay more than Hibs even allowing for us being in a lower league?

Top six, Cup final, Europe = £.

Ozyhibby
28-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Let's hope he still moves on. It's clear that Stubbs wanted the wage freed up so hopefully the deal can be resurrected.

bigwheel
28-08-2014, 04:01 PM

Stevie May Sale...

blackpoolhibs
28-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Stevie May Sale...

Surely not, players sales don't go back in the pot for purchasing players, have they not got a helipad or a sex swing that needs buying? :confused:

Baldy Foghorn
28-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Surely not, players sales don't go back in the pot for purchasing players, have they not got a helipad or a sex swing that needs buying? :confused:

Why have I got an image in my mind, of RP swinging on swing, like a scene from the Stud?? You are a bad man BH......:greengrin

Sir David Gray
28-08-2014, 04:40 PM
I'm happy with this.

I know he's not been great for us but he's not had a massive run in the team either.

I think he'll score goals for us this season and it's good that we have players there who have the attitude that they want to stay.

offshorehibby
28-08-2014, 04:48 PM
I always thought he'd score goals for us as well but he hasn't. I'd rather he moved on and fresh options brought in.

we are hibs
28-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Aye he's our best finisher right enough, El alagui has managed in 5 games what heffernan has done in a whole year.

marti1875
28-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Let's hope he still moves on. It's clear that Stubbs wanted the wage freed up so hopefully the deal can be resurrected.

Eh? :confused: Stubbs has said he's very happy he's staying so unless i'm missing something that is certainly not indicating that Stubbs has made it clear he wants his wage freed up? :confused:

Ozyhibby
28-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Eh? :confused: Stubbs has said he's very happy he's staying so unless i'm missing something that is certainly not indicating that Stubbs has made it clear he wants his wage freed up? :confused:

You don't give a player permission to talk to another club unless you are happy to see him go. Especially when there is no fee involved.

southsider
28-08-2014, 05:06 PM
He just did not look interested last saturday. Best for all if he moved on.

emerald green
28-08-2014, 05:18 PM
We need someone other than Farid to score goals on a regular basis. Pity help us if he gets injured. I just don't see Heffernan doing that with Hibs.

What I find annoying is that a club like St Johnstone (no disrespect meant here) are in a position to offer higher wages than Hibs. I have been led to understand they are a well run club, will have earned a bit of money from winning the Scottish Cup, and will get money when they sell May.

However, they are a club with an average home attendance of 3,806 in season 2013/14; 3,712 in 2012/13; and 4,169 in 2011/12. Wow!

patch1875
28-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Can't be on much at us, St J pay Max of 1k a week apparently

JimBHibees
28-08-2014, 05:24 PM
You don't give a player permission to talk to another club unless you are happy to see him go. Especially when there is no fee involved.

Indeed :agree: releasing the news is to interest other teams also IMO. He will be gone by Monday I reckon.

marti1875
28-08-2014, 05:36 PM

Right, so he's happy to get rid of him but states he delighted/happy he's turned it down and is indeed staying at E.R. :confused:

Oh, and also, Stubbs has said he doesn't need anyone to leave before bringing anyone else in thus the "freeing up wages" just so he can. ring someone else in is just a myth born somewhere. :agree:

ancient hibee
28-08-2014, 05:38 PM

You think Stubbs should have done a Butcher and said he wasn't wanted at the club?

marti1875
28-08-2014, 05:46 PM
You think Stubbs should have done a Butcher and said he wasn't wanted at the club?

Errrmm..no, for all you or i or anyone knows maybe he is quite ok with him staying at the club now that he has turned down a move away as are some others judging by reading on here. Nowhere did i suggest he does a "Butcher" :confused:

Unless you know exactly what Stubbs is really thinking and exactly what is going on in his mind then it's all just total complete speculation and guesswork so i just prefer to go on what he has publicly stated as i am not qualified in mind reading peoples statements.

ancient hibee
28-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Maybe he is maybe he's not who knows?Stubbs is good at dealing with the press and will say what he wants to whether it's true or not.

DC_Hibs
28-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Right, so he's happy to get rid of him but states he delighted/happy he's turned it down and is indeed staying at E.R. :confused:

Oh, and also, Stubbs has said he doesn't need anyone to leave before bringing anyone else in thus the "freeing up wages" just so he can. ring someone else in is just a myth born somewhere. :agree:

How naïve are you pal FFS.

SMAXXA
28-08-2014, 06:04 PM
See my previous posts re Nelson and him but seems he's had a change of heart. OTJ will be away next, despite what Stubbs says in the media he was planning on getting rid of Heff and that's changed a few things re targets. For me I wish he had gone.

Ozyhibby
28-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Errrmm..no, for all you or i or anyone knows maybe he is quite ok with him staying at the club now that he has turned down a move away as are some others judging by reading on here. Nowhere did i suggest he does a "Butcher" :confused:

Unless you know exactly what Stubbs is really thinking and exactly what is going on in his mind then it's all just total complete speculation and guesswork so i just prefer to go on what he has publicly stated as i am not qualified in mind reading peoples statements.

If you are correct then I'm a bit worried that Stubbs may not be cut out for management. He will have to learn quickly that you don't give clubs permission to speak to players you want to keep. Let's hope he hasn't given St. Mirren's permission to speak to Farid or something.
That's if you are correct of course.

Kato
28-08-2014, 06:16 PM

He's doing his job as manager by saying so as PH may still be here after the window closes. Or do you want him to come out and slate a player publicly like our last manager did.

CallumLaidlaw
28-08-2014, 06:19 PM
See my previous posts re Nelson and him but seems he's had a change of heart. OTJ will be away next, despite what Stubbs says in the media he was planning on getting rid of Heff and that's changed a few things re targets. For me I wish he had gone.

Kinda thought that would be the case. Shame. I am yet to see enough from Heffernan to convince me he's gonna add anything to the team this year

truehibernian
28-08-2014, 06:29 PM

Exactly what I was thinking when I read Stubbs ' quotes' - I would hate to think that this puts pay to a far more mobile, youthful and 'something to prove' EPL young player :rolleyes:

Bishop Hibee
28-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Heff can't play the role behind the lone striker. Suspect he'll be cover for Farid.

Billy Whizz
28-08-2014, 06:48 PM
The more I think about it, seems bizarre at his age, to turn down a 2 year deal, when he only has one year left at Hibs. Maybe more to it than meets the eye

blackpoolhibs
28-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Why have I got an image in my mind, of RP swinging on swing, like a scene from the Stud?? You are a bad man BH......:greengrin

Admit it matey, that's just one of your many fantasy's involving Rod. :wink:

GreenArmy1875
28-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Did Heff not take a wage cut to join us?
Might be totally wrong

Billy Whizz
28-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Did Heff not take a wage cut to join us?
Might be totally wrong

Don't think so, thought we took over his contract from Killie

Baldy Foghorn
28-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Admit it matey, that's just one of your many fantasy's involving Rod. :wink:

:devil::blushie:

truehibernian
28-08-2014, 07:18 PM
My worry (and to be honest I've not much against Heffernan) is that we need cover for David Gray (proper cover) and I do think we need a very mobile striker, not that Jason Cummings isn't, but I think we need real energy up top......

I still have a sneaky suspicion that McFadden is well on Stubbs's radar, no sources to say for sure, just bizarre how a player of his quality is still unattached. I know we were in for Hope however - and to be honest I think a player like that would burn up this league.

Going to throw a wee poser out there too.......if Hibs went for Scott Robinson would people cut him slack ?

Aldo
28-08-2014, 07:32 PM
My worry (and to be honest I've not much against Heffernan) is that we need cover for David Gray (proper cover) and I do think we need a very mobile striker, not that Jason Cummings isn't, but I think we need real energy up top...... I still have a sneaky suspicion that McFadden is well on Stubbs's radar, no sources to say for sure, just bizarre how a player of his quality is still unattached. I know we were in for Hope however - and to be honest I think a player like that would burn up this league. Going to throw a wee poser out there too.......if Hibs went for Scott Robinson would people cut him slack ?

Not seen enough of Robinson to comment. If he came in.... Did a decent job and took responsibility then I''d be ok with it.

What you hearing TH??

Eyrie
28-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Very strange - a player of his age gets the chance of a longer deal on more money in a higher league and turns it down? Either the reported facts are wrong or there's something else going on, because I don't believe Heffernan is staying just for the facilities at East Mains.

That said, if he can produce commitment on the pitch to match the spin in the article then we'll be pleased that he's still here regardless of the true reason.

truehibernian
28-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Not seen enough of Robinson to comment. If he came in.... Did a decent job and took responsibility then I''d be ok with it.

What you hearing TH??

Only hearing that he would be keen (Hibs fan despite his press stuff last year) and that he is peed off getting released (or told he is no longer required) - he is tidy as a player, decent as a holding type in front of the central pairing - has a wee nasty streak in him. Knows Scottish football and where we are in a league with Hearts, he may want to prove something - I like players who have something to prove and are still young enough to want it.

DC_Hibs
28-08-2014, 07:49 PM
My worry is that we need cover for David Gray (proper cover)

if Hibs went for Scott Robinson would people cut him slack ?

Forget about "cover". We will add 1 or 2 max and these need to be first picks as there are still plenty glaring deficiencies to address. Thankfully Stubbs won't be looking for cover.

That also applies to the second suggestion of signing a laddie released by Hertz????????????????

Aldo
28-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Only hearing that he would be keen (Hibs fan despite his press stuff last year) and that he is peed off getting released (or told he is no longer required) - he is tidy as a player, decent as a holding type in front of the central pairing - has a wee nasty streak in him. Knows Scottish football and where we are in a league with Hearts, he may want to prove something - I like players who have something to prove and are still young enough to want it.

If AS thinks he's good enough to do a job then I'd be happy with that.

Not ITK but I do think there are a few comings and goings prior to the end of the window.

lord bunberry
28-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Good on him, he could've taken the money and run but he's shown a desire to stay and fight for his place, and hopefully right a few wrongs. If the whole squad is happy to do the same then that's half the battle

truehibernian
28-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Forget about "cover". We will add 1 or 2 max and these need to be first picks as there are still plenty glaring deficiencies to address. Thankfully Stubbs won't be looking for cover.

That also applies to the second suggestion of signing a laddie released by Hertz????????????????

I'd suggest we need 'cover' for right back, as we have Hanlon/Gardiner/Forster/Fontaine for CH's and we have Booth/Stevenson for left back.

When I said cover perhaps I should have said 'competition'. I still think if DG gets injured, we need a player who can get up the flank and defend properly.

truehibernian
28-08-2014, 07:59 PM
If AS thinks he's good enough to do a job then I'd be happy with that.

Not ITK but I do think there are a few comings and goings prior to the end of the window.

I'm not saying AS is keen Aldo mate, only that SR is keen - I only posed the question because last year he said some things about Hibs (media promptings) that may make it hard for him to connect with the fans - he reminds me of Michael Stewart - good player, arrogant bar steward, could actually be a 'Hibs gain'

Beefster
28-08-2014, 08:05 PM
Stevie May Sale...

That would be a right kick in the stanes if you were a St Johnstone fan. Sell Stevie May and use some of the money to sign Heffernan.

truehibernian
28-08-2014, 08:09 PM
That would be a right kick in the stanes if you were a St Johnstone fan. Sell Stevie May and use some of the money to sign Heffernan.

St Johnstone always have me scratching my head beefster......Preston always always waxes lyrical about them being well run, yet I often see who they have signed and wonder 'how on earth are they affording that' - not sure what incentives are offered, if any, but certainly based on crowds and merchandising they are a club that are not only punching above their weight, but they must be offering other incentives........good club, delighted that they beat Aberdeen :aok: but their board must invest a fair bit surely :confused:

Green Fish
28-08-2014, 08:15 PM
St Johnstone always have me scratching my head beefster......Preston always always waxes lyrical about them being well run, yet I often see who they have signed and wonder 'how on earth are they affording that' - not sure what incentives are offered, if any, but certainly based on crowds and merchandising they are a club that are not only punching above their weight, but they must be offering other incentives........good club, delighted that they beat Aberdeen :aok: but their board must invest a fair bit surely :confused:

From what I heard from a mate who supports them is that the owner is a very shrewd businessman. Owns a fair bit of land and buys and sells it when needed

Hfc_Since1875
28-08-2014, 08:20 PM

I know someone at st johnstone and they are very well run, really do live within their means and dont spend what they dont have!

They invested VERY little this summer, infact cut their wage bill, one thing they do is plan short term and with the exception of a few players they keep contracts to 1-2 years so that should they be relegated then they can quickly downsize accordingly

Was delighted when they won the cup!

Scott Allan Key
28-08-2014, 08:23 PM

I'm pretty sure the 'incentives' may include housing. Geoff Brown was a property developer.

truehibernian
28-08-2014, 08:29 PM
I'm pretty sure the 'incentives' may include housing. Geoff Brown was a property developer.

I've heard that but if true I've often wondered why Hibs don't do that - Sir Tom owns a lot of residential property in Edinburgh, a lot !

There's some good players signed for St Johnstone and some used to good pay - like you say though, like them as a club and I know two or three Saintees so it was only a curiosity - often thought we could do with Dave MacKay at the back too - nails !

Stuarty27
28-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Can't believe this, gutted tbh!

Hefferman can't run and offers very little in general play. The guy who sits next to me keeps telling me he is a penalty box player, but does he even score that many, what's his Hibs ratio??

truehibernian
28-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Can't believe this, gutted tbh!

Hefferman can't run and offers very little in general play. The guy who sits next to me keeps telling me he is a penalty box player, but does he even score that many, what's his Hibs ratio??

Hibs ratio = injured more often than not, usually in the warm up !

JimBHibees
28-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Very strange - a player of his age gets the chance of a longer deal on more money in a higher league and turns it down? Either the reported facts are wrong or there's something else going on, because I don't believe Heffernan is staying just for the facilities at East Mains.

That said, if he can produce commitment on the pitch to match the spin in the article then we'll be pleased that he's still here regardless of the true reason.

Would be amazed if Heff wasn't away prob to England by Monday.

JimBHibees
28-08-2014, 08:34 PM

He would be a reasonable fit IMO.

GreenArmy1875
28-08-2014, 08:39 PM

Defo not a hibs fan, Celtic fan. Played with at Hutchison Vale and Hearts.

heretoday
28-08-2014, 08:47 PM
He must be getting more money here.

I'm too cynical to believe that he wants to stay and fight for his place etc etc.

s.a.m
28-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Maybe he's got family / personal reasons for wanting to stay in Edinburgh.:dunno: Does he have children?

truehibernian
28-08-2014, 08:58 PM

Not what I'm hearing :confused:

leggeto
28-08-2014, 09:01 PM

Everyone got their wage cut in half after relegation

GreenArmy1875
28-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Not what I'm hearing :confused:

Unless he changed to being a hibby while at Hearts then he was a Celtic fan

truehibernian
28-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Unless he changed to being a hibby while at Hearts then he was a Celtic fan

Hey if you know him mate, fair doos - just not what I was told this week. Saying that, I played with Hutchie and trained with them......and look at me :greengrin

scoopyboy
28-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Everyone got their wage cut in half after relegation

nonsense

leggeto
28-08-2014, 10:05 PM
nonsense

Was told even the young lads had it cut in half

Kato
28-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Was told even the young lads had it cut in half

Bloke in pub?

leggeto
28-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Bloke in pub?

Bloke I know who's girlfriends brother played in the under 20s had his halved,got released don't know the players name

erin go bragh
28-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Was more than happy when we first signed Heff . but now after watching him ,id be more than happy for him to leave . Far too injury prone and never looks anything near fit .

Ggtth

Kato
28-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Bloke I know who's girlfriends brother played in the under 20s had his halved,got released don't know the players name

"Mate's girlfriends brother" is always more unreliable than "bloke in pub".

leggeto
28-08-2014, 10:22 PM
"Mate's girlfriends brother" is always more unreliable than "bloke in pub".

Yeah probably, I suppose unless someone knows a player to confirm it we won't know,apparently he was on 300 and was told it was getting halved,he asked for an extra 50 for travel expenses and told no

Kato
28-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Yeah probably, I suppose unless someone knows a player to confirm it we won't know,apparently he was on 300 and was told it was getting halved,he asked for an extra 50 for travel expenses and told no

Nup, the added detail just makes it sound even more fishwifey.

scoopyboy
28-08-2014, 10:37 PM

Some players and generally speaking the younger guys who signed in the early part of 2014 had relegation clauses written into their deals.

Guys who were on longer contracts had no such clause therefore they retained their salary.

leggeto
28-08-2014, 10:40 PM
Some players and generally speaking the younger guys who signed in the early part of 2014 had relegation clauses written into their deals.

Guys who were on longer contracts had no such clause therefore they retained their salary.

Its a shame they let good young players go for the sake of few hundred quid,especially the wages some of the players are on who were responsible for the drop in the first place

ekhibee
28-08-2014, 11:38 PM
I heard ages ago that he was indeed a Hibs fan, knew he played at Hutchie too.

Ronniekirk
29-08-2014, 08:15 AM
I still can't get my head round why he wouldn't move for more security and more money.at his age he could well struggle to a two year deal next summer in the top league . He surely can't have been guaranteed first team football by Stubbs or he wouldn't of been given permission to speak to them in first place Unless his injuries are completely behind him then it's a risk keeping him ., he has technical ability and good game awareness and can hold the ball well but some of the chances he has missed you would of expected him to put away if on form .Buts it's his lack of pace that is biggest issue as that isn't going to change and him and Farid haven't looked like a pairing in the two games they have played so far

J-C
29-08-2014, 08:26 AM
I still can't get my head round why he wouldn't move for more security and more money.at his age he could well struggle to a two year deal next summer in the top league . He surely can't have been guaranteed first team football by Stubbs or he wouldn't of been given permission to speak to them in first place Unless his injuries are completely behind him then it's a risk keeping him ., he has technical ability and good game awareness and can hold the ball well but some of the chances he has missed you would of expected him to put away if on form .Buts it's his lack of pace that is biggest issue as that isn't going to change and him and Farid haven't looked like a pairing in the two games they have played so far

Who says it's more money, if he's on £1k at Hibs and St Johnstone only offer say £700 then he'd be better staying at Hibs, even tho he's been offered 2 years.

PeterboroHibee
29-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Who says it's more money, if he's on £1k at Hibs and St Johnstone only offer say £700 then he'd be better staying at Hibs, even tho he's been offered 2 years.

Im sure in the Scotsman it suggested he was offered more money from St Johnstone.

J-C
29-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Im sure in the Scotsman it suggested he was offered more money from St Johnstone.

Well then more fool him, or maybe something else lined up down south.

SanFranHibs
29-08-2014, 09:24 AM

That was suggested yesterday but whatever the figures, had an offer been made I doubt they would have offered less. Even given speculative figures mentioned, 1,000*52 = 52,000, whereas 700x104 = 72,800. Appreciate that I used 52 weeks but hardly the sort of offer to make Heffernan rush up the M9.

This story seems bizarre to me. St Johnstone were given permission to approach an under contract player, planning to make an offer without any compensation to Hibs (apart from the obvious, 'he'd be gone' and a freed wage compensation), with rumours of a better deal for the player (more money and a longer term deal) and he turns it down and Hibs manager says he is delighted.

If Hibs/Stubbs would have preferred him gone then Stubbs should have gone public as in the Nelson case, 'Heffernan can't be guaranteed first team football', or in his case 'can't be guaranteed sole possession of the physio's table'.

Can it be as simple as Stubbs doing the decent thing and not blocking a potential better deal for Heffernan and allowing him to make the decision and Heffernan genuinely wanting to stay at 'cost' to himself just to help Hibs get back to the SPL? Maybe it is.

If so, then it shows mutual respect between manager and player, something that was missing under our previous management team. Of course Hibs fans might applaud this new relationship between manager and player but still be disappointed in the end result.

Anyone else think this is somewhat bogus? I have googled 'St Johnstone Heffernan' and the only reference to an offer/move is on fan sites with Hibs.net straight in at number one on the Google top 4 million. :wink: That's right pop-pickers. No 1.

:flag::flag:

tamig
29-08-2014, 10:58 AM

I'd disagree with that. Both have had - and scorned - plenty of chances in both those games. Chances are being made - just not finished. Yet.

J-C
29-08-2014, 11:03 AM
I'd disagree with that. Both have had - and scorned - plenty of chances in both those games. Chances are being made - just not finished. Yet.

They seemed to take up the same spaces on saturday, no connection between them most of the game.

tamig
29-08-2014, 11:13 AM
They seemed to take up the same spaces on saturday, no connection between them most of the game.

They were getting on the end of chances individually though so I'd say there is potential for them to work together. I do hope this new fitness coach guy can get to work on Heff. A fit Heff would be an asset to this team in this league imo.

J-C
29-08-2014, 11:16 AM
They were getting on the end of chances individually though so I'd say there is potential for them to work together. I do hope this new fitness coach guy can get to work on Heff. A fit Heff would be an asset to this team in this league imo.

Don't think he'll be here come monday tbh.

BSEJVT
29-08-2014, 11:56 AM
I rather suspect that Hibs wanted to offload Heffernan to make way for someone.

If that someone comes Heffernan will go, but probably wants a sweetener from Hibs which isn't presently on the table do so.

I would be very surprised if he was still here come Monday night.

hopefully with OTJ, Craig & Robertson with him.

I am afraid these guys will always be damaged goods as far as the Hibs support are concerned.

J-C
29-08-2014, 12:08 PM
I rather suspect that Hibs wanted to offload Heffernan to make way for someone.

If that someone comes Heffernan will go, but probably wants a sweetener from Hibs which isn't presently on the table do so.

I would be very surprised if he was still here come Monday night.

hopefully with OTJ, Craig & Robertson with him.

I am afraid these guys will always be damaged goods as far as the Hibs support are concerned.

I still like Robertson because he has energy and directness to his game, Craig has went backwards drastically in the past 9 months it's quite frightening.

Ronniekirk
29-08-2014, 05:19 PM
I tend to agree with that but above poster is correct in that they both had good chances and both should of ended up on score sheet but that in a nutshell was one of our bif failings last season ,not taking chances .Yes we made far fewer chances which was a concern it itself but bit to make the chances we are is sep in right direction and once transfer window closes hopefully we have added to squad to help address that issue

macd123
29-08-2014, 06:24 PM
I still like Robertson because he has energy and directness to his game, Craig has went backwards drastically in the past 9 months it's quite frightening.

Craig should play off farid. He has a great shot on him. Might as well get rid if we see him as defensive midfielder though.

Dashing Bob S
30-08-2014, 12:01 AM
Heff's decent but at his age and with his recent injury record he's past his best and won't get better. Like him but would have preferred to see him go to Saints. I think the reason he didn't was because he knows he'd struggle to get games there in the Premier even more than here.

Keith_M
30-08-2014, 05:29 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-striker-saint-for-leaving-1-3523159

Paul Heffernan has knocked back the chance of a quick-fire return to the Premiership to play his part in Hibs’ battle back to the top flight, boss Alan Stubbs revealed today.

“Paul did not want to go. He said he loves it here and wants to stay and fight for his place. I’m happy with that, it’s really great for the club’s point of view and mine that we have players who do not want to leave.

Thanks for that, Paul, I'm sure you're a big asset in our fight for promotion

:rolleyes:

kevo1875
30-08-2014, 05:31 PM
We need a bit steel in the middle of the park...Craig spends half the game slowing everything down n turning the wrong way and the other half shouting at the ref

Aldo
30-08-2014, 05:38 PM
Craig should play off farid. He has a great shot on him. Might as well get rid if we see him as defensive midfielder though.

Craig should be nowhere near the team let alone club Capt. He should of been binned during per season.

If I was as bad at my job as he is at his then I would be sacked plain and simple.

Empty jersey, spineless and should be out on his arse before Monday.

It's like playing with ten men every week when he is in the team.

DaveF
30-08-2014, 05:40 PM

Lucky escape for Saints!

Gala Foxes
30-08-2014, 05:58 PM
guy looked out his depth against Alloa - no pace, can't jump

cabbageandribs1875
30-08-2014, 06:00 PM

arguably more worrying is that the stubbster is saying he's happy with that.....please say he's just being nice

Gala Foxes
30-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Did Heffernan pass up on the move to St Johnstone or did he :

(1) Miss the dotted line on the contract with his pen

(2) Take so long to get to the table to sign the contract that St Johnstone gave up onhim

Aldo
30-08-2014, 06:52 PM
guy looked out his depth against Alloa - no pace, can't jump

Can't score

blackpoolhibs
31-08-2014, 08:07 AM
Thanks for that, Paul, I'm sure you're a big asset in our fight against relegation

Sorted that for you.