PDA

View Full Version : Alan Stubbs post Dumbarton win

yankyhibby
28-08-2014, 12:07 AM
Another honest assessment from the boss.
Alan also talks about the frustration of fans spilling over onto the pitch and affecting players, who then go into their shells. Another wee dig at the boo boys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujW2Bxsb_PY

ekhibee
28-08-2014, 01:06 AM
Another honest assessment from the boss.
Alan also talks about the frustration of fans spilling over onto the pitch and affecting players, who then go into their shells. Another wee dig at the boo boys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujW2Bxsb_PY
Interesting interview, I actually got the impression that, even though he didn't actually say it, he's well aware that we need to strengthen the team. I hope we do obviously, but if we don't, because of financial constraints, it'll be interesting to see his approach to interviews in the future, and the people on here's reaction to them. Looks like it's going to be a long haul, but hopefully he can build on what he's learnt about the players as regards their abilities and shortcomings, and at least make them a team that are hard to beat, if nothing else in the short term.

Ozyhibby
28-08-2014, 01:21 AM
Don't see it as a dig. Just a statement of fact. Constant abuse from the sidelines is not good for the team.
The cycle needs to be Broken.

heretoday
28-08-2014, 06:30 AM
This image of the team as shrinking violets upset at abuse from the crowd doesn't impress. Stubbs should be drilling some hardness into them. Sod the boo boys.

matty_f
28-08-2014, 06:33 AM
This image of the team as shrinking violets upset at abuse from the crowd doesn't impress. Stubbs should be drilling some hardness into them. Sod the boo boys.

Down with emotional reactions!

bingo70
28-08-2014, 06:40 AM
I like the interviews with stubbs, I think he talks sense and enjoy listening to how passionate he clearly is.

That said though, he's still in his early stages of management and most are pretty positive about him, I think once his honeymoon period is over abd we have an inevitable dip in form, as all teams do, he needs to watch he doesn't get caught up in arguments with our own support.

Yes, our fans can be harsh and demand higher standards than we should probably expect but considering all that's happened I'm sure we can be forgiven for that. Imo Stubbs would be well advised to just forget the fans for a bit in the interviews.

Once we're winning games the support will take care of itself.

marinello59
28-08-2014, 06:51 AM

It's the fact we still have fans who think that shouting abuse during matches helps that doesn't impress. I don't think Stubbs needs to be given any advice about mental hardness.
Aye, sod the boo boys.

lyonhibs
28-08-2014, 06:53 AM
I like the interviews with stubbs, I think he talks sense and enjoy listening to how passionate he clearly is.

That said though, he's still in his early stages of management and most are pretty positive about him, I think once his honeymoon period is over abd we have an inevitable dip in form, as all teams do, he needs to watch he doesn't get caught up in arguments with our own support.

Yes, our fans can be harsh and demand higher standards than we should probably expect but considering all that's happened I'm sure we can be forgiven for that. Imo Stubbs would be well advised to just forget the fans for a bit in the interviews.

Exactly. Turn in a few 90 minute performances worthy of the shirt and the boo boys will soon STFU.

At Hibs, after the past few seasons, it's now the team that has to prove themselves as worthy of the mostly excellent support they receive. The relative quality of the contributions of team and support has been heavily skewed at Hibs for far too long.

Hibbyradge
28-08-2014, 06:56 AM
He acknowledged that the fact fans stayed behind the team helped us.

He also tried to explain what happens when they get on the player's backs.

Basically, he's asking us to help, not hinder.

I'm delighted he's said this. About time.

Dashing Bob S
28-08-2014, 07:12 AM

Sodomising boo boys is probably a little extreme. Surely watching Hibs is evidently uncomfortable enough punishment for them already?

As for Stubbs drilling some hardness into the team, well certain things are best left in the dressing room.

db03
28-08-2014, 07:16 AM
the boo boys really do need to give it a rest, we will win more away games than home games purely because the players will not be under so much pressure from the fans while playing away.

Most of us here will have played football and there is nothing worse than getting criticized, you don't want to do the things you would have normally done and its no different for these guys just because they are professionals.
They are young boys who need encouraged not abused.

We as fans played a part in our relegation with our constant abuse towards the players so lets try to change that and encourage these young boys.

Mikey09
28-08-2014, 07:28 AM

i think he's just trying to point out the fact the massive difference it makes to the players when the fans stick with the team and don't get on there backs and shout abuse.... As I posted somewhere else you would be surprised how this can have an affect on players mental attitude.

SanFranHibs
28-08-2014, 07:41 AM
He acknowledged that the fact fans stayed behind the team helped us.

He also tried to explain what happens when they get on the player's backs.

Basically, he's asking us to help, not hinder.

I'm delighted he's said this. About time.

True HR, however it is still a little worrying that one of the players he is talking about retreating into his shell and scared to make a positive pass and takes the easy option is our captain (suspension aside). He may not have said it but let's not delude ourselves, we know who he is talking about....the players from last season.

Now, I am not having a go at our players. Indeed I can honestly say I have never shouted at, screamed at or given abouse to one of our players. I am sure I have booed a team off at the end several times but never at our players as individuals. I have no problem with fans needing to boo the team off at then end, just to let them know that the performance that has just been witness is unacceptable.

But I still find it worrying that at the first sign of discontent from the fans our players might retreat into their shells and be too scared to play the way AS wants them to. It is up to the manager to drill into them, 'just keep playing the way we have been talking about, the way we have been doing in training, the way I want you to play. If it does not work I will take the heat. If you try to play the way I tell you and keep doing so until I tell you not to, then you will get my support and I will deal with the fans.'

Whatever I think of any of our players, if they run out in that Hibs jersey they will get my support even if at the end of the game I am shuffling off to the pub, shaking my head, thinking, 'Not again'.

With respect to Craig, it looks to me that he is not a captain. If he is going to play let him just concentrate on his game. Captaincy brings out the best in some but not in others. People at Tuesdays game said we have someone who seems more suited to the role.

A few good games with positive results will work wonders for everyones confidence and hopefully playing well and winning will become the norm and a bad result will be just a minor setback in the grand scheme.

:flag:

QMU-1875
28-08-2014, 09:20 AM
Some of the nonsense people shout abuse for is unbelievable, convinces me half the hibs support don't have a clue what they are talking about. People moaning because we were passing the ball and not being direct enough? Haven't we been crying out for years for passing football?

silverhibee
28-08-2014, 11:08 AM
It's the fact we still have fans who think that shouting abuse during matches helps that doesn't impress. I don't think Stubbs needs to be given any advice about mental hardness.
Aye, sod the boo boys.

It is nothing new though, it has been happening at ER and other grounds around the world since i was taken to games when i was a lad, it is nothing compared to how our fans treated Nishy when he was at Hibs, and we were finishing in the top six then and doing okay, maybe if the players start games with a high tempo like they finished the game on Tuesday the so called boo boys will have nothing to moan about, but i still think it is a bit of a kop out blaming the fans for the players deficiencies.

Only the players can shut the boo boys up by putting in good performances from the first minute to the last and I'm sure Stubbs will be telling them that.

Sas_The_Hibby
28-08-2014, 11:22 AM
Sodomising boo boys is probably a little extreme. Surely watching Hibs is evidently uncomfortable enough punishment for them already?

As for Stubbs drilling some hardness into the team, well certain things are best left in the dressing room.

Oh DBS, you ARE a one! :greengrin

Keith_M
28-08-2014, 11:24 AM
I don't consider myself a Boo Boy but I must confess to having given in to my dark side when we went 3-0 down in the Semi-Final.

My punishment was that I lost a perfectly good scarf as a result (it's probably still blowing around the track at Hampden :wink: )

Aside from occassions like that, I've never seen the sense in getting on players backs and screaming abuse at them every time they make a mistake.... or as is the case with some Fans, even if they don't.

lord bunberry
28-08-2014, 11:26 AM
the boo boys really do need to give it a rest, we will win more away games than home games purely because the players will not be under so much pressure from the fans while playing away.
Most of us here will have played football and there is nothing worse than getting criticized, you don't want to do the things you would have normally done and its no different for these guys just because they are professionals.
They are young boys who need encouraged not abused. We as fans played a part in our relegation with our constant abuse towards the players so lets try to change that and encourage these young boys.

We've had 2 away games this season and lost both, we've won 2 of our 3 home games. If that continues the crowds will rise and be more positive, it's a two way street.

silverhibee
28-08-2014, 11:28 AM
They are young boys who need encouraged not abused. We as fans played a part in our relegation with our constant abuse towards the players so lets try to change that and encourage these young boys.

And yet the two games we have played this season away from home we have been beaten in both games where the fans backed them to the hilt in the derby game and at ibrox, the fans can only do so much, it's down to the players on the pitch to respond, at the PBS in the 2nd half while 0-0 the fans were f***ing superb and that should have gave the players a wee lift to drive on and try and win the game, not retreat and be feared to come out of there own half, it's not all the fans fault.

db03
28-08-2014, 12:19 PM
We've had 2 away games this season and lost both, we've won 2 of our 3 home games. If that continues the crowds will rise and be more positive, it's a two way street.

And yet the two games we have played this season away from home we have been beaten in both games where the fans backed them to the hilt in the derby game and at ibrox, the fans can only do so much, it's down to the players on the pitch to respond, at the PBS in the 2nd half while 0-0 the fans were f***ing superb and that should have gave the players a wee lift to drive on and try and win the game, not retreat and be feared to come out of there own half, it's not all the fans fault.

over the course of the season! just my opinion.
both of those games might have been different results had we not had players sent off etc