PDA

View Full Version : Away goals rule

poolman
27-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Does anybody think this is a bit outdated ?

Had a blether in the pub about this

I think it is,football has changed so much over the years since it was brought in

Time to be scrapped methinks

KirkyK
27-08-2014, 08:18 PM
I think it adds another tactical dimension to cup competitions which is a positive, whether or not the positive of that outweighs the heavy favour it can give to a team is what could be questioned

basehibby
27-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Why would you scrap it??? It was brought in as a means of encouraging the away team to attack rather than sit in for two legged cup ties - and it works to some extent from what I can see. It also provides another way of separating teams if they're all square after 180 minutes - what's the alternative?

poolman
27-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Why would you scrap it??? It was brought in as a means of encouraging the away team to attack rather than sit in for two legged cup ties - and it works to some extent from what I can see. It also provides another way of separating teams if they're all square after 180 minutes - what's the alternative?

Well I'm watching the Arsenal game and if Besiktas score they will go through, wrongly in IMO

I know there is nothing better but extra time and penalties would do me

BVB Hibs
27-08-2014, 08:24 PM
I like it. Teams which are playing in competitions with away goals really don't need another 30 minutes on top of what is already a massively tight schedule, and another way to break the tie is always a good thing.

I would put a caveat on that though. Once it does finish square after 180 minutes, scrap away goals. Nothing more frustrating than when the away team score in extra time and suddenly the home team need two, nothing fair in that at all. The League Cup situation in England, where away goals only count at the end of 120 minutes of the second leg, but not after 90 is ridiculous also.

Boyle89
27-08-2014, 09:05 PM
I like it. Teams which are playing in competitions with away goals really don't need another 30 minutes on top of what is already a massively tight schedule, and another way to break the tie is always a good thing.

I would put a caveat on that though. Once it does finish square after 180 minutes, scrap away goals. Nothing more frustrating than when the away team score in extra time and suddenly the home team need two, nothing fair in that at all. The League Cup situation in England, where away goals only count at the end of 120 minutes of the second leg, but not after 90 is ridiculous also.
Gives an advantage to the team that plays the 2nd leg at home. Never understood that myself.

jgl07
27-08-2014, 09:11 PM
It has become an excuse for the home team to be defensive.

Penalty shoot out is far better.

Keith_M
28-08-2014, 09:41 AM
Haven't British Clubs suffered the most from the away goals rule? I'm sure Hibs have.

SanFranHibs
28-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Haven't British Clubs suffered the most from the away goals rule? I'm sure Hibs have.

no, Hibs just suffer from the goals rule !!!

Green Man
28-08-2014, 10:21 AM

I suppose the thinking is that if it goes to extra time, the team at home in the 2nd leg have an extra 30 minutes of home advantage so the away goals rule balances it out.

alloahibby
28-08-2014, 11:16 AM
Just do away with the two legs and have an all in straight cup tie...
Take your chances on a home draw

1two
28-08-2014, 11:22 AM

This for me too. The away goal should be cancelled for any extra time

Haymaker
28-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Just do away with the two legs and have an all in straight cup tie...
Take your chances on a home draw

Would clear up fixture congestion!

DH1875
28-08-2014, 04:34 PM
I like it and dont think its out dated at all. Its a good rule :)

ancient hibee
28-08-2014, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=Boyle89;4144468]Gives an advantage to the team that plays the 2nd leg at home. Never understood that myself.[/QUOTE

Think you might have a job convincing Celtic-they didn't have the first idea in how to deal with it.

1987kev
28-08-2014, 06:25 PM
The only thing I would change is if it went to extra time away goals shouldn't count in extra time.