PDA

View Full Version : Queen of the South

Brighton Hibee
27-08-2014, 02:35 PM
It's been a while since I posted on here!

My mate and I are coming up from Brighton, and London, for the game in Dumfries.

Can anyone recommend any decent pre-match boozers?

Not seen Hibs since the Leigh Griffiths goal-that-never-was in the derby.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Hermit Crab
27-08-2014, 02:39 PM

My mate and I are coming up from Brighton, and London, for the game in Dumfries.

Cheers.

Beware as the match is all ticket. Sort that out first. :aok:

Dumfrieshibs
27-08-2014, 02:47 PM

Cheers.

I am at work just now but will PM you this evening , BH :wink:

Brighton Hibee
27-08-2014, 03:05 PM
I am at work just now but will PM you this evening , BH :wink:

Thanks mate, and thank you Mr Crab.

HH81
27-08-2014, 03:49 PM
I am coming up from Yorkshire for this. Any idea how many tickets we will get? I need 2.

Hermit Crab
27-08-2014, 03:53 PM
I am coming up from Yorkshire for this. Any idea how many tickets we will get? I need 2.

1100 allocated to away fans. Maybe more if demand is there.

HH81
27-08-2014, 03:55 PM

Lets hope i get two then.

Billy Whizz
27-08-2014, 03:57 PM

I presume that's for the seated stand?
Is there a standing area behind the goals available as well?

Hermit Crab
27-08-2014, 04:07 PM
I presume that's for the seated stand?
Is there a standing area behind the goals available as well?

This was reinstated for der Hun last season in a cup game however I doubt they would give us that as the whole seated stand can be allocated to us which is 2200 seats. More than enough for our travelling support.

Hermit Crab
27-08-2014, 04:09 PM
This was reinstated for der Hun last season in a cup game however I doubt they would give us that as the whole seated stand can be allocated to us which is 2200 seats. More than enough for our travelling support.

They terrace behind the goals and the small terraces at the front of the main stand are home fans only.

HH81
27-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Just checked and as ground holds over 6000 you would think Hibs would get as many as we need.

Iggy Pope
27-08-2014, 07:36 PM

I don't see any details on the club site yet.
You'll have a shot at priority for at least one as a HIBERNIAN though surely?

Dinkydoo
27-08-2014, 07:41 PM
The Robert Burns (Wetherspoons) at Burns Statue is quite good. No music or anything though.

Dumfrieshibs
27-08-2014, 07:53 PM
The Robert Burns (Wetherspoons) at Burns Statue is quite good. No music or anything though.

Dont they have a sign on the door about No Football Colours , Dinkydoo ??

Dinkydoo
27-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Dont they have a sign on the door about No Football Colours , Dinkydoo ??
Maybe they do. I've been in before Queens games and colours were allowed but it might be best to give it a miss then. I can't even check because thier next home game is against us.

HH81
27-08-2014, 09:01 PM
I don't see any details on the club site yet.
You'll have a shot at priority for at least one as a HIBERNIAN though surely?

Yes will get one but as bring my nephew would need to be sat together. Will ring them see what they can do :greengrin

Billy Whizz
27-08-2014, 09:22 PM

If be surprised if we get the full seated stand. Queens have a number of season ticket holders in this stand, including a relative of mine

Brunswickbill
27-08-2014, 09:40 PM
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=205541565262831954890.0004dc9cef473887d859 e&msa=0&dg=feature

All real ale pubs. Cavens is good for food . The Robert Bruce is a Weathersoons Pub so you'll know what you get there. Reasonable value for money. The Ship used to be owned by a Jambo but he has now gone. I hate to say it but the pub isn't as good now as when he was in charge....wash my mouth out. It's a bit out of the way so probably better sticking to the ones nearer to the centre of the town. All the pubs shown are worth a visit. Dumfries is a nice we town and has always had a good range of pubs.

Ringothedog
27-08-2014, 09:46 PM
If be surprised if we get the full seated stand. Queens have a number of season ticket holders in this stand, including a relative of mine

What will they do when the Huns turn up ?

Hermit Crab
28-08-2014, 06:50 AM

Open the uncovered terracing behind the goals. I doubt we will take 1000+ down there

Taz_hibee
28-08-2014, 08:50 AM
Thinking about bring the wife, are there any shopping centres in Dumfries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dumfrieshibs
28-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Thinking about bring the wife, are there any shopping centres in Dumfries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taz , the shopping centre isn`t the biggest but it would fill a couple of hours . Carlisle is about 35 mins further down the road . There is a decent train service to and from Carlisle for about £6 return.

Dinkydoo
28-08-2014, 09:28 AM
+1 for Cavens. I havent ever had a bad meal in there and they have a good selection of beer on tap.

Taz_hibee
28-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Taz , the shopping centre isn`t the biggest but it would fill a couple of hours . Carlisle is about 35 mins further down the road . There is a decent train service to and from Carlisle for about £6 return.

Thanks for that, does it have the usual high street stores ie M&S, Next

Dumfrieshibs
28-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Thanks for that, does it have the usual high street stores ie M&S, Next

Yeah Dumfries has them....Debenhams as well . There are loads of coffee shops and Cafes around the main precinct as well .

LancsHibs
28-08-2014, 09:47 AM
Looking forward to this one, got overnight accommodation booked already:thumbsup: What's the Waverley Bar like DumfriesHibs? Looks OK on the net:cheers:

Dumfrieshibs
28-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Looking forward to this one, got overnight accommodation booked already:thumbsup: What's the Waverley Bar like DumfriesHibs? Looks OK on the net:cheers:

I`ve been in the bar a few times but mainly getting a couple of beers before getting the train.... It seems ok and its just a few minutes walk from the main boozer area .

blackpoolhibs
28-08-2014, 09:52 AM

Overnight, Its a bloody home game for us Al? :confused:

Taz_hibee
28-08-2014, 09:56 AM
Yeah Dumfries has them....Debenhams as well . There are loads of coffee shops and Cafes around the main precinct as well .

That's great, plenty to keep her occupied for a few hours while I'm at the game :greengrin:agree::wink:

LancsHibs
28-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Overnight, Its a bloody home game for us Al? :confused:

Heading North on the Sunday mate. Have you regained your enthusiasm and fancy this one:wink:

blackpoolhibs
28-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Heading North on the Sunday mate. Have you regained your enthusiasm and fancy this one:wink:

Be daft not to pal, 90 minutes away i'm sure we will be there. :agree:

LancsHibs
28-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Be daft not to pal, 90 minutes away i'm sure we will be there. :agree:

This has the makings if a good wee trip:agree: GGTTH

Dinkydoo
28-08-2014, 10:27 AM
The bar is ok but like others, I've only ever been in whilst waiting on a train - I wouldnt drink there out of choice. Also, the hotel bit of The Waverly is used for homeless accommodation. So if you're planning on staying the night you might want to look elsewhere. I cant comment on the facilities as i have never stayed there but just thought I'd make you aware of that, since its not clear from the outside that the council use it for this too.

LancsHibs
28-08-2014, 10:41 AM
. Also, the hotel bit of The Waverly is used for homeless accommodation. So if you're planning on staying the night you might want to look elsewhere. I cant comment on the facilities as i have never stayed there but just thought I'd make you aware of that, since its not clear from the outside that the council use it for this too.

Ha ha that would have been fantastic:eek:Unfortunately I'm in a B&B round the corner:cb

Albanian Hibs
28-08-2014, 10:44 AM
What is the train situ to Dumfries like from Edinburgh?

Keith_M
28-08-2014, 11:02 AM
What is the train situ to Dumfries like from Edinburgh?

Cr*p. You have to go via Glasgow. It's quite a long journey on the train for the distance it is from Edinburgh.

I don't know if they still run the same routes but the bus used to get there much quicker. It's also a really nice journey.

Billy Whizz
28-08-2014, 11:07 AM
Cr*p. You have to go via Glasgow. It's quite a long journey on the train for the distance it is from Edinburgh.

I don't know if they still run the same routes but the bus used to get there much quicker. It's also a really nice journey.

Or go to Carlisle and connect to Dumfries

Keith_M
28-08-2014, 11:09 AM
Or go to Carlisle and connect to Dumfries

Good advice, that looks much shorter

:thumbsup:

Billy Whizz
28-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Good advice, that looks much shorter

:thumbsup:

Or train to Lockerbie and taxi/bus to Dumfries is probably quickest route

Keith_M
28-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Or train to Lockerbie and taxi/bus to Dumfries is probably quickest route

TBF, I've already got a flight from Munich to Edinburgh to factor in, so half an hour either way is neither here nor there.

:wink:

Billy Whizz
28-08-2014, 11:22 AM
TBF, I've already got a flight from Munich to Edinburgh to factor in, so half an hour either way is neither here nor there.

Good for you, see you there

LancsHibs
28-08-2014, 12:00 PM

If you've not already booked your flight it would probably be quicker to fly to Manchester and train from Manchester Airport > Carlisle > Dumfries (probably cheaper flights too)

Albanian Hibs
29-08-2014, 02:18 PM
£32 for the day return. Bit steep. Looking to see how much stagecoach will be.

Dumfrieshibs
29-08-2014, 02:22 PM
£32 for the day return. Bit steep. Looking to see how much stagecoach will be.

The bus from St Andrews Sq is a lot cheaper but it takes about 3hrs if its not the express - not even sure if there is an express bus !! Check MacEwans bus timetable !!

Albanian Hibs
29-08-2014, 02:57 PM
The bus from St Andrews Sq is a lot cheaper but it takes about 3hrs if its not the express - not even sure if there is an express bus !! Check MacEwans bus timetable !!

The 102 stagecoach takes just under 3 hours but the train inc connections was taking that as well. Cant see prices of tickets on their website so have emailed them.

Dumfrieshibs
29-08-2014, 06:43 PM
The 102 stagecoach takes just under 3 hours but the train inc connections was taking that as well. Cant see prices of tickets on their website so have emailed them.

Just spoke to my daughter who has used the bus to edinburgh quite a bit and she reckons it's £12 odds return.....

LancashireHibby
29-08-2014, 06:57 PM
Will have my lad in tow so boozing, but very tempted to travel up.

darwenhibby
29-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Might check prices to run a bus!
Any hibbies in north west up for it??

Albanian Hibs
29-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Just spoke to my daughter who has used the bus to edinburgh quite a bit and she reckons it's £12 odds return.....

Good stuff!👍

kev1875
29-08-2014, 07:50 PM

Count me in!

Brunswickbill
29-08-2014, 10:49 PM

A lot of the Huns will be locals. Save them the trip up the M74. A relation of mine used to live beside the ground during 50s to 70s and said, without prompting from me, that that the Jamfarts were by far the worst fans who came to Palmerston.

blackpoolhibs
29-08-2014, 11:15 PM

Is it going via Hartlepool?

darwenhibby
30-08-2014, 05:02 AM
Is it going via Hartlepool?

Oh very funny Blackpool!!
Read the thread it says north west!

But we will be picking up in Ullapool!! If that helps you!

blackpoolhibs
30-08-2014, 06:44 AM
Oh very funny Blackpool!!
Read the thread it says north west!

But we will be picking up in Ullapool!! If that helps you!

:greengrin Count me in then.

HH81
31-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Is this bus going ahead?

buktapurple79
31-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Cavens has great food and great beers. We'll get a great welcome, Hearts used to wreck the place when they came down.