PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Kinloch 1935-2014 RIP

big-mo
27-08-2014, 02:17 PM
For those of an older generation who might remember Bobby Kinloch playing with Hibs, it is with regret that I have to let you know that Bobby passed away this morning in the Western General, he had been receiving treatment for cancer.

Robert Kinloch was born in Govan, Glasgow in 1934 but his family soon moved to Forres in Moray. He joined the RAF and played football for them and Forres Mechanics. He signed for Hibs in 1959 as an inside-forward. He made his Hibs début on the 13th Aug 1960 in a League Cup game against Kilmarnock. Bobby scored 10 goals on 11 league games that season. He played 34 games for Hibs scoring a total of 22 goals, including the one he will be most remembered for, the penalty against Barcelona on the 22nd January 1961 in the 3-2 win in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup Quarter Final.

Hibs sold Bobby to Greenock Morton in September 1962, he then moved to Berwick Rangers in 1964. He and his wife then emigrated to Canada, where he played for Toronto City and Hamilton Steelers. While in Canada he joined the police and after being involved in a 'shoot-out' his wife handed him a newspaper and told him to find a new job, the job he got was in the new world of computing. They returned to Scotland in 1967 where he also had spells played for Raith Rovers and then Dunfermline Athletic. He ended up heading up the IT dept of a major bank here in Scotland.

Bobby's grandson, Max Todd, is currently on Hibs books in the under 20's squad. His other grandson is also a fine footballers as is his grand-daughter who moved from Hibs ladies to play with Hearts.

One of Bob's favorite anecdotes, is that he survived three different plane crashes. He also scored 6 goals in an international match for Malaya but still lost the game 7-6.

Bobby was a real character and a true gent, he was always willing to talk with fans about football but nearly always ended up with him telling you about his life. A great loss and a good friend.

Jonnyboy
27-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Deeply saddened by the passing of this great Hibs legend

RIP Bobby

mim
27-08-2014, 02:22 PM
He provided my most thrilling moment ever watching Hibs.

R.I.P. Bobby

Bostonhibby
27-08-2014, 02:25 PM
A Hibby who played against and scored against Barcelona at a competitive level, something they probably took for granted at a time when a more level playing field existed - what a legacy - RIP Bobby Kinloch, part of the fabric that ties us all into Hibs.

Golden Bear
27-08-2014, 02:28 PM
RIP Bobby, yet another sad loss.

Bobby was a member of one of the Hibernian teams that I recollect watching as a very young lad.

roryg
27-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Never to be forgotten RIP Bobby

RoryG

offshorehibby
27-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Sorry to hear this,RIP Bobby. My condolences to the family.

Weststandwanab
27-08-2014, 02:35 PM
R. I. P.

plhibs
27-08-2014, 02:57 PM
I remember playing kick around with him and my uncle in the back garden in Woodburn Loan Dalkeith. Recall him being a very nice man. R I P.

phoenixfire
27-08-2014, 02:58 PM
Very sad news indeed
The old codgers like myself will never
Forget that penalty
I also seem to recall that hue swapped
Jerseys with joe. Baker against. Roma
And the Italians put two men on him
To match his blistering pace
Fond memories of great servant to Hibs
R. I. P

matty_f
27-08-2014, 03:03 PM
R.i.p.

FranckSuzy
27-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Very sorry to hear this. RIP Bobby.

NAE NOOKIE
27-08-2014, 03:09 PM
Too young to have seen him play, but like a lot of Hibbies was aware of his part in the Barcelona game.

It seems that he had an eventful life ... certainly not a wasted one anyway.

RIP Bobby.

scuttle
27-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Always sad to read these threads, RIP Bobby

Fife-Hibee
27-08-2014, 03:13 PM
R.i.p.

cmcd
27-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Too young to have seen him play, but like a lot of Hibbies was aware of his part in the Barcelona game.

It seems that he had an eventful life ... certainly not a wasted one anyway.

RIP Bobby.
What was going on round about him did not faze him at all V Barcelona So cool taking the penalty RIP

bigwheel
27-08-2014, 03:20 PM
one of my Dad's favourite players....sad news...respect to Bobby and his family...

Mr White
27-08-2014, 03:23 PM
RIP Bobby. A name I've known from an early age from reading about famous games from hibs history. The passing of another legend.

stu in nottingham
27-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Bobby's career at Easter Road was before my time but he's a player whose exploits in the Green and White I've read about many times.

I'd like to extend my condolences to Bobby's family and friends and respect to his memory.

Ireallywasthere
27-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Met him by chance a few years ago and he was an absolute gentleman. RIP

mim
27-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Very sad news indeed
The old codgers like myself will never
Forget that penalty
I also seem to recall that hue swapped
Jerseys with joe. Baker against. Roma
And the Italians put two men on him
To match his blistering pace
Fond memories of great servant to Hibs
R. I. P

The swapping of the 8 and 9 shirts in Rome was a master stroke, especially when Bobby scored and Baker's name flashed up on the electric scoreboard. The same happened when Bobby scored again and, with two or three defenders now marking Bobby, Joe scored the third.
It should never be forgotten that this was a European semi final and Hibs would have won on away goals, but that rule had not yet come in.

franks
27-08-2014, 03:51 PM
Was just to the right of the goals when he scored That penalty and although fairly young will always remember it.

Had the pleasure of meeting him several times a gentleman with some great stories.

Always remembered R.I.P. Bobby

oconnors_strip
27-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Really saddened to hear this, was a true gent any time I met him at games.

Thoughts are with his family

chinaman
27-08-2014, 04:11 PM
For those of an older generation who might remember Bobby Kinloch playing with Hibs, it is with regret that I have to let you know that Bobby passed away this morning in the Western General, he had been receiving treatment for cancer.

Robert Kinloch was born in Govan, Glasgow in 1934 but his family soon moved to Forres in Moray. He joined the RAF and played football for them and Forres Mechanics. He signed for Hibs in 1959 as an inside-forward. He made his Hibs début on the 13th Aug 1960 in a League Cup game against Kilmarnock. Bobby scored 10 goals on 11 league games that season. He played 34 games for Hibs scoring a total of 22 goals, including the one he will be most remembered for, the penalty against Barcelona on the 22nd January 1961 in the 3-2 win in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup Quarter Final.

Hibs sold Bobby to Greenock Morton in September 1962, he then moved to Berwick Rangers in 1964. He and his wife then emigrated to Canada, where he played for Toronto City and Hamilton Steelers. While in Canada he joined the police and after being involved in a 'shoot-out' his wife handed him a newspaper and told him to find a new job, the job he got was in the new world of computing. They returned to Scotland in 1967 where he also had spells played for Raith Rovers and then Dunfermline Athletic. He ended up heading up the IT dept of a major bank here in Scotland.

Bobby's grandson, Max Todd, is currently on Hibs books in the under 20's squad. His other grandson is also a fine footballers as is his grand-daughter who moved from Hibs ladies to play with Hearts.

One of Bob's favorite anecdotes, is that he survived three different plane crashes. He also scored 6 goals in an international match for Malaya but still lost the game 7-6.

Bobby was a real character and a true gent, he was always willing to talk with fans about football but nearly always ended up with him telling you about his life. A great loss and a good friend.thanks for that mo and r.i.p bobby

Bishop Hibee
27-08-2014, 04:33 PM
A Hibs great for the pen v Barca. I remember as a kid loving hearing my dad and uncles recalling that game and the winning goal.

RIP.

trev the hat
27-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Very sad news & condolences to Bobby's family & friends.
Born same year as my old man who would have seen him many times I'm sure.
RIP

Pretty Boy
27-08-2014, 04:35 PM
Played in the same Hibs team as my Grandad. Wins over Barcelona, Real Madrid et al.

What a time to be a Hibby.

RIP.

brog
27-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Really sad to hear about the passing of Bobby. Everyone ( rightly ) remembers the Barcelona game but we started that season by losing our first 8 league games, inc 6-0 at home to Celtc!! Imagine if Hibs Net had existed then! :wink: In mid October IIRC we played St M at home & finally won, 4-3 with Bobby scoring a hat trick, think we were 3-0 up then 3-3 before Bobby's winner. That game revolutionised our season, 2 months later we scored 4 in the Nou Camp, think I'll bold that, & 6 weeks after that we beat Barca at ER. What a legacy Bobby left us & his family.

LeithBoozy
27-08-2014, 04:47 PM
God bless you Bobby.

Berwickhibby
27-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Bobby was a real character and attended a couple of Berwick Hibs Supporters Burns Nights....... R.I.P Bobby

ancient hibee
27-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Met him in his days in banking where he turned out regularly for the team-with very variable results:greengrin-when he took the penalty he looked the coolest guy in the place-certainly a lot cooler than any of us on the terracing.

yankyhibby
27-08-2014, 05:56 PM
RIP Bobby and thank you for what you did in our Hibernian shirt.

Alfred E Newman
27-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Another of my boyhood heroes passes on. RIP.

Stantons Angel
27-08-2014, 06:06 PM
So sorry to hear about Bobby's passing Maurice, my condolences to his family. RIP sir!

emerald green
27-08-2014, 06:17 PM
It took great composure to put that penalty away against Barcelona, considering all the nonsense that went on from the Barcelona players that night. RIP.

jdships
27-08-2014, 06:38 PM
An absolute gentleman in every way , unasumming and a credit to himself.
RIP

TomTheHibbyBev
27-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Met him a few times spoke honestly about the Hibs Lovely Manel R.I.P

basehibby
27-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Never spoke but saw him around a few times at ER in recent years and there's no doubt THAT goal against Barca gave him a certain aura amongst all Hibs fans. RIP Bobby and thank you for your cool and decisive part in one of our most treasured and legendary results.
:hibees:flag:

Lucius Apuleius
27-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Just a wee bit before my time unfortunately.

RIP Bobby and condolences to his friends and family.

Forza Fred
27-08-2014, 08:38 PM
I was 9 at the time of the Barcelona game and not allowed to go to the match, so can't say I was there to this one, but watched Bobby regularly when he played.

I was also fortunate enough to have been introduced to him by Jimmy O'Rourke at a former players meeting I was invited to when back on holiday in 2008

Bobby had Been designated to act as my host at the next Hibs home game, but I had already purchased tickets so never got the chance to take him up on the date.

A fine person and a fine player.

As someone earlier said, another of my boyhood heroes gone.

My respects to any family and friends reading this, but obviously unlike many of us, Bobby will be remembered, always.

Ricky Bobby
27-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Condolences to family and friends. RIP Bobby

The Harp
27-08-2014, 08:57 PM
So very sad to hear of Bobby's passing. His coolness in slotting that penalty away against Barcelona will rightly never be forgotten but there was more to Bobby's football career than that one goal.
Thanks for some wonderful memories Bobby.
Sincere condolences to Bobby's family and friends. God bless him.

RIP

Capt Mainwaring
27-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Sad news. Condolences to Bobby's family and friends . RIP

PatHead
27-08-2014, 09:22 PM
RIP Condolences to his family and friends.

schinkenotto
27-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Remember that famous night well!Also so him playing for Forres Mechanics and Inverness Caley,when he was in the RAF.A true legend-RIP.

The Harp Awakes
27-08-2014, 09:51 PM
What was going on round about him did not faze him at all V Barcelona So cool taking the penalty RIP

Before my time but I feel as though I was at the game that night as my Dad used to tell me the story of Bobby's penalty against Barcelona so many times. There was mayhem around him as the Barcelona players surrounded the ref. I'm sure my Dad said that Bobby actually sat on the ball to let the mayhem subside before coolly slotting the spot kick home. Maybe one of the guys who was at the game can confirm this?

God bless you Bobby and sincere condolences to his family.

R.I.P Bobby

sadtom
28-08-2014, 12:02 AM
Heard the sad news earlier.
Friendly with Bobby's son Mark and used to play in the same amateur side.
Had the pleasure of meeting Bobby on a number of occasions, a gentleman and a bone fide Hibs legend.

R.I.P. Bobby

bodoglimt
28-08-2014, 06:37 AM
Before my time but I feel as though I was at the game that night as my Dad used to tell me the story of Bobby's penalty against Barcelona so many times. There was mayhem around him as the Barcelona players surrounded the ref. I'm sure my Dad said that Bobby actually sat on the ball to let the mayhem subside before coolly slotting the spot kick home. Maybe one of the guys who was at the game can confirm this?

God bless you Bobby and sincere condolences to his family.

R.I.P Bobby
Yes my dad told me that Bobby sat on the ball prior to coolly slotting it in. Surprised that none of the others mentioned this?
:not worth

ACLeith
28-08-2014, 06:59 AM
IIRC Sammy Baird, our captain, got all the players to sit down in the centre circle until the mayhem subsided. And BK sat on the ball!

So many memories of that night that I will hold forever. Including telling my dad that it was unfair that the ref added on time for the mayhem, Barca caused it so should suffer for it! The innocence of youth!

BK is a big part of my boyhood memories, all I can think of to say is "thanks"

IWasThere2016
28-08-2014, 08:11 AM
Rest In Peace Bobby.

I have passed this info on to Alan Gilzean (ex Dundee/Spurs). When I met Alan recently his face lit up when he spoke of the Hibs and Bobby in particular.

Roxyhibee
28-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Just before my time too, but my dad used to mention his name in revered tones about a footballer who was quiet, tough and cool under pressure. Obviously a great man.

Thanks for giving my dad and fellow Hibbies treasured memories Bobby.

GGTTH.

JimBHibees
28-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Rest In Peace Bobby.

I have passed this info on to Alan Gilzean (ex Dundee/Spurs). When I met Alan recently his face lit up when he spoke of the Hibs and Bobby in particular.

Was it Alan Gilzean who said he supported Hibs when growing up in his book?

RIP Bobby. Met him once in a business meeting and a nice guy with a large infectious personality.

allezsauzee
28-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Legend! I'm too young to have seen him play but there can't be too many players who have scored a seventh goal against Barca over a two legged European match. Just him and Thomas Mueller maybe!

kaimendhibs
28-08-2014, 04:47 PM
R.I.P Bobby.

weststandhibby
28-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Sad loss. Watched several matches as his guest in box in FF and he loved the Hibs. Condolences to Mark and the rest of the family.

RIP Bobby

erin go bragh
29-08-2014, 10:25 AM
12 mins wait before he scored our pen that ko Barca .
Nerves of steel . RIP Bobby

Ggtth