PDA

View Full Version : Safe standing area

HappyAsHellas
27-08-2014, 12:09 PM
The fans in section 43 were brilliant last night, but how much better would it be if they were behind the goals? It would generate more noise and therefore entice more people to join in, giving more encouragement to the team. It cannot be the lower of the FF, as at half time last night when I looked over there, the people stretching their legs are quite clearly obstructing the view of those in hospitality. That leaves the FF upper, which in my opinion would be ideal. The front barrier would have to be modified, but as I say, the benefits to the team and club would be a positive. If the club got behind this they could buy and supply the large banners that are seen all over European stadiums.
We really need to get the best from our long suffering support, by supporting them, so will the club actually do something about it?
Thoughts anyone?

MartinfaePorty
27-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Before the new East Stand was built, I suggested, on a running thread here, having a safe standing area at the bottom half of where Section 43 now is or, if that was deemed too close to the away fans and rejected for safety reasons, then the same position at the other end of the stand. I received little or no encouragement for this and, indeed, some folk were very quick to rubbish it. Having followed the safe standing debate closely, getting regular updates from the Football Supporters' Federation (which covers England and Wales) who have been promoting this very actively, I remain convinced that this can be done. Whether Hibs will want to do it is another matter entirely.

Keith_M
27-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Celtc just got turned down in their application for a Safe Standing Area, so I couldn't see us being successful...

...if we put in an application, which we won't.

This has also been discussed on here a lot previously and nobody ever agrees, so there's not even a unanimous (or majority) backing from the fans. I would quite like to see it but we simply don't have money to spare. We've spent enough on infrastructure already and the team has to be the priority for the foreseeable future.

dangermouse
27-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Before the new East Stand was built, I suggested, on a running thread here, having a safe standing area at the bottom half of where Section 43 now is or, if that was deemed too close to the away fans and rejected for safety reasons, then the same position at the other end of the stand. I received little or no encouragement for this and, indeed, some folk were very quick to rubbish it. Having followed the safe standing debate closely, getting regular updates from the Football Supporters' Federation (which covers England and Wales) who have been promoting this very actively, I remain convinced that this can be done. Whether Hibs will want to do it is another matter entirely.

I was always of the opinion (and still am) that the East should have been a two tier job like the rest of the stands but nobody that was in the East agreed with me. The lower tier,or part of it, could easily have been converted to safe standing as the rake would not be as steep as it is now but that opportunity has gone and the East will never have a standing area due to the current rake of the stand.

That reason also applies to the upper FF no matter what sort of barrier is put in place leaving only the lower FF. As pointed out this would obstruct hospitality boxes. But let's for a moment put winning on the park (which will put bums on seats) first. Forget about hospitality in the FF and get the atmosphere back at Easter Road to roar the team onto victory like last night. How about a compromise and make just the lower half of the FF lower standing which would still allow hospitality to be used.

Burger me! that sounds a sensible suggestion so no hope of the club taking it forward then :grr:

FranckSuzy
27-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Saw this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26149790) on the BBC News at the weekend. Seems like a good compromise to me :agree:

silverhibee
27-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Seems the soapdodgers were turned down from having a safe standing area.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/celtic-told-no-over-safe-standing-proposal-1-3508571

marti1875
27-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Seems the soapdodgers were turned down from having a safe standing area.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/celtic-told-no-over-safe-standing-proposal-1-3508571

I was much the same in thinking that they had been turned down so it was finished and no point in other teams even bothering.
Now, on reading that link it's all very confusing :confused: this Safety Advisory Group, chaired by the Glasgow City Council said a resounding NO to safe standing..........but then went on to also say that possibly it should be decided at Government level, not council level......but then the Government have said no, it's up to local authorities to make the decision:confused:

So, it seems about as clear as mud but interestingly still gives hope that indeed Edinburgh Council could possibly be the ones who can make any decision if the Scottish Govt's stance is that it is indeed to be decided by a local authority.
Mind you, knowing their track record with things regarding us it would be turned down anyway, and, maybe Hibs would not even be interested in looking at it? who knows :confused:

DC_Hibs
27-08-2014, 12:59 PM
:confused:

Not a factor for us as we will never rip out fit for purpose seating and install far more expensive rail seats when the money would be better spent on the team which people have been clamouring to see investment in.

Just waiting for someone to tell us crowds would rise with the automatic assumption hibs would charge less for people to stand in this new improved section that cost them a fortune to "build".

Do people have calendar notes every 3-6 months to raise this........

DarrenSQH
27-08-2014, 01:02 PM
We are in the championship. we could surely have terracing if we liked?

the put the seats back in when we go up

frazeHFC
27-08-2014, 01:08 PM
There's others on here who'll know the ins and outs better than me, but my understanding is that Hibs want the singing section to remain where it is. Proposals were made for us to move but it was turned down mainly due to the proposed area having season ticket holders there. Safe Standing was also proposed but the club would not want to pay anything towards it. Can't remember the exact figure but if safe standing was granted at ER the fans would have to raise the money.

silverhibee
27-08-2014, 01:08 PM
We are in the championship. we could surely have terracing if we liked?

the put the seats back in when we go up

Never thought of that, if other clubs in this league are allowed standing areas then why not Hibs for this season or for how many seasons we are down here. :wink: :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
27-08-2014, 01:10 PM
I think you will have to wait for me to take over the club for this to happen mate.

It needs to be done, it should be done, but the club are more focused on the few folk ( last night about 2 folk from where I was at the back of the bottom deck ) who use FF hospitality getting their view spoiled than taking this simple step which would almost certainly improve the grounds atmosphere.

It just needs to be standing like sect 43 is now .. who needs rail seats & all that?

When sect 43 were doing their thing last night there were a few in the FF trying to join in. If sect 43 were in the FF lower and the family section was in the north end of the East I'm sure the family section would be more inclined to get involved as would the north end of the main stand, which many moons ago was the noisiest part of the ground ...... and that was standites, not east terrace dudes.

As I've said before .... If they want hospitality in the FF whats wrong with using the hundreds of posh seats in the upper deck which go unused every Saturday ..... Anyway freezing your John Daws off is part of the football experience, if you want to watch a game through glass watch it on the telly. Apart from that, for my money the top deck of the FF gives the best view in the stadium.

Anfield has .................................................. ... 'THE KOP'

Easter Road has .............................................. section 43.

Aye mate, ye go into the East Stand, now if you walk past the first couple of pie stalls and last set of womens bogs the entry point is just there. If you see a sign saying 'disabled' your at the wrong end ...... Don't go too far the other way though coz that's section 44 and they don't use that ... its section 43 you want. You can always ask a steward, but be prepared to be frisked for smoke bombs or pencils and paper which could be used to make a Petrie out banner.

Once you do find the right entry point don't get confused when you get into the stand if you don't immediately see anyone ... look up, you will see your fellow Ultras about half way up the stand.

Good luck :gwa: ...... :flag:

marti1875
27-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Not a factor for us as we will never rip out fit for purpose seating and install far more expensive rail seats when the money would be better spent on the team which people have been clamouring to see investment in.

Just waiting for someone to tell us crowds would rise with the automatic assumption hibs would charge less for people to stand in this new improved section that cost them a fortune to "build".

Well, for a start i never raised this and only contributed a view about a link that you have chose to ignore.

Secondly, i don't think anyone is expecting it to happen right now or tomorrow so it would have no bearing on transfers so that notion is just silly.

Thirdly, there always does seem to be plenty interest in this subject when it crops up so if people wish to talk about then that's up to them ok.

HappyAsHellas
27-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Growing up I remember the atmosphere and noise in the old "cow shed" which was brilliant as memories often are. My daughter likes me to get tickets for section 43 as there's more atmosphere there. The vast amount of young fans willing to sing the team on also congregate there.
The club should be taking a much more pro active role in this issue. AS said he wants ER to be "bouncing", full of happy fans, as do most people who go to the games, although understandably not everyone wants to be next to it. If the topic seems to be brought up every few months, then that to my mind would say that there are more than just a few fans seeing the benefits this could bring. As for costs, I don't think it would be overly expensive. Unbolt some seats, and fit some barriers utilising the pre drilled holes already there. Wouldn't have thought it was beyond the wit of man to accomplish this. I feel it is something the club should prioritise (after funding the team obviously), and will try to bring the subject up in the meetings to be held in the near future.

NAE NOOKIE
27-08-2014, 02:54 PM

Its a bigger deal to some than others I suppose DC.

For me the atmosphere inside ER is a big deal and anything which improves it ( and nobody can deny it needs improving ) has to be given serious consideration ands why it should be kept on the agenda. I don't get the rail seat stuff and all that. Yes it would be ideal to install them .... but the truth is folk stand in section 43 now which is actually steeper than the FF so why not just have the same deal in the FF lower at no cost.

I don't think the price has to change for tickets either ..... the going rate for an FF 'standing' ticket should be the same as an East ticket, after all its the fans who want a standing area so it would be unfair to ask Hibs to reduce prices for it. The view from the lower FF though not bad doesn't compare to up in the gods in the East, but as I recall the view from the old East was appalling but it didn't stop folk going there because the atmosphere was better and to them creating a good atmosphere was as ( or more ) important than an unrestricted view .... I doubt that has changed.

Keith_M
27-08-2014, 03:06 PM
Can't we just knock down the East Stand and rebuild it as covered terracing?

SunshineOnLeith
27-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Maybe the people in S43 like it there and don't want to move?

The 'standing in the FF' suggestion seems to always come from people who at present sit in neither S43, nor their suggested tier of the FF.

HappyAsHellas
27-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Maybe the people in S43 like it there and don't want to move?

The 'standing in the FF' suggestion seems to always come from people who at present sit in neither S43, nor their suggested tier of the FF.

I sit in section 43 as stated before, I just think more could be done on this issue. We can hope for a better atmosphere as things are, or try to engage with the fans to see what is best for them. We pay our money year in, year out, so a little consultation isn't too much to ask for is it? If proof were needed, look at the noise generated at the PBS the other week. We could have that at ER, so why not?

Viva_Palmeiras
27-08-2014, 04:45 PM
If I recall correctly there was a thread on here within the timeframe of LWT and this was brought up but there was no one coming forward despite that willing to take up the baton.

Changed personnel since then but who is willing to pick up the baton now?

portycabbage
27-08-2014, 05:03 PM
I was always of the opinion (and still am) that the East should have been a two tier job like the rest of the stands but nobody that was in the East agreed with me. The lower tier,or part of it, could easily have been converted to safe standing as the rake would not be as steep as it is now but that opportunity has gone and the East will never have a standing area due to the current rake of the stand.

That reason also applies to the upper FF no matter what sort of barrier is put in place leaving only the lower FF. As pointed out this would obstruct hospitality boxes. But let's for a moment put winning on the park (which will put bums on seats) first. Forget about hospitality in the FF and get the atmosphere back at Easter Road to roar the team onto victory like last night. How about a compromise and make just the lower half of the FF lower standing which would still allow hospitality to be used.

Burger me! that sounds a sensible suggestion so no hope of the club taking it forward then :grr:

I'm not sure the rake of the stand is an issue with safe standing areas like in Germany, as they have rails. I think some of them in Germany are actually on quite steep stands, although there are probably others on here who have experienced them first hand and will know better than me.