PDA

View Full Version : David Gray Captain Material??

Tom Hart RIP
27-08-2014, 10:29 AM
His work rate and attitude was excellent last night. He looked as though he relished the job of captain as opposed to Liam Craig from whom it seems to be a burden.
Personally I would give him the armband full time. Thoughts???

scoopyboy
27-08-2014, 10:30 AM
His work rate and attitude was excellent last night. He looked as though he relished the job of captain as opposed to Liam Craig from whom it seems to be a burden.
Personally I would give him the armband full time. Thoughts???

Give him it right now.

frazeHFC
27-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Definitely let him keep it!

Thecat23
27-08-2014, 10:33 AM
He's my captain every time. Leads by example something Craig doesn't do!

Weststandwanab
27-08-2014, 10:38 AM
I would say yes all day and I think that may have a positive effect on LC's game by removing pressure.

Tom Hart RIP
27-08-2014, 11:08 AM
I would say yes all day and I think that may have a positive effect on LC's game by removing pressure.

I agree that this could be an added bonus

Argylehibby
27-08-2014, 11:25 AM

A few of us were speaking about this before the game last night and all thought it would be good for both players and the team.

Hiber-nation
27-08-2014, 11:27 AM
Leading by example. Something the present captain has never done. No brainer for me.

leggeto
27-08-2014, 11:53 AM
With him and booth,reminds me of Murphy and Whittaker

Smartie
27-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Not a screamer and shouter but certainly led by example.

Had a quiet first half but a very good second. His game seemed to be enhanced by the extra responsibility.

I still rate Craig but not as captain and not as a defensive midfielder. I think he would benefit from it being passed on to Gray.

They still seem to be a fairly meek bunch though, a lot of "nice boys" and not many potential captains in there. Teams in the past that have been successful have had 6 or 7 potential captains - someone mentioned how many senior pros we had during our last division 1 "adventure" and I think they had a point. Even the golden generation, for all they were young had a bit more of that about them and many have gone on to become captains.

heretoday
27-08-2014, 01:53 PM
I could tell he was captain material as soon as I saw the cut of his jib. Give it him permanently.

Let Craig concentrate on honing his game, which needs it.

Jonnyboy
27-08-2014, 03:03 PM
:agree:

nellio
28-08-2014, 12:17 PM
I would give it to him on a permanent basis. Really looks like he belongs in the role. Stubbs has obviosult seen this in trainnig etc as well as he gave him the captaincy in Craig's absence.

allezsauzee
28-08-2014, 12:19 PM
I like Liam Craig but he ain't a captain. David Gray definitely does so if I was Stubbs I would give Gray the captaincy and tell Liam it's to let him focus on his own game.

DarrenSQH
28-08-2014, 12:38 PM
His tackle at 2-2 on tuesday was superb. Took the ball, the man and a throw in for us. A murphy type challenge.

Nevi_SOL
28-08-2014, 04:36 PM
The man leads by example. That says enough for me.

GGTTH

edwards
28-08-2014, 06:41 PM
A few of us were speaking about this before the game last night and all thought it would be good for both players and the team.

:agree: :top marks

Totaly agree Finaly have someone who looked determined to get the team back in the game at 0-2 and also feel that it would take the strain off Criag and we would see an improvement in his game.

Amit
28-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Said this before... Gray leads by example. Doesn't give up. Should have the armband from now on.

Aldo
28-08-2014, 07:28 PM
I would have no complaints if Gray was indeed to get the armband.

truehibernian
28-08-2014, 07:41 PM
I like Liam Craig but he ain't a captain. David Gray definitely does so if I was Stubbs I would give Gray the captaincy and tell Liam it's to let him focus on his own game.

Craig doesn't pull in the support - as captain or player I'm afraid. Hibs and Craig for me are not a good fit. Another example of Pat Fenlon bringing in a midfielder who was 'safe' and could now and again come up with a game.

I like the way Stubbs is moulding his side - the midfield area, a position I am always keen to follow closely, is one where he obviously wants some energy and some drive. His interviews recently have been good - no rhetoric, just honest, and I liked his interview recently when he said he got frustrated when we had the ball final third and we were not 'more clever'. That's why I honestly think McFadden is still very much in his thoughts - a player who can beat a man and unlock a defence, or indeed, take a chance and score.

For me Liam Craig offers very little - I don't even think he had it in him to raise his game. Another line from Stubbs that was telling was the fact that some players want to play the 'safe pass' - something I noticed last week and posted about (before his interview :greengrin).

I love Scott Robertson though - he hurts when he loses and we lose. Seen it close up a few times. He however needs to have a little bit more belief in his ability too - he is a very good footballer but needs to work on his core strength as he fades badly in games, and he needs to be higher up the pitch. Good player though.

Back to point though, Gray has been excellent - so so reminiscent of Murphy - a very dependable player and good too :aok:

erin go bragh
28-08-2014, 10:22 PM
:agree: :top marks

Totaly agree Finaly have someone who looked determined to get the team back in the game at 0-2 and also feel that it would take the strain off Criag and we would see an improvement in his game.

Defo , its a win win for us ,

Ggtth

Ronniekirk
28-08-2014, 10:34 PM
If he feels he is ready for it and it doesn't affect his normal game I think it could be a good move ,as Craig just loses it and rants at ref instead of galvanising players ,and the fear on his face when he stepped up to take the pen at Tyncastle showed he wasn't handling the pressure .

Humo
28-08-2014, 11:38 PM
Stubbs on David Gray

"It was a very, very easy choice, to be honest,” Stubbs said of that decision. “He’s been very good since he’s come in. He’s *really respected in the dressing room and has a lot of leadership qualities. He’s a leader on and off the pitch and is a great pro. He does everything right and is an example to all the young players in how to train. He’s a winner. I could go on.
“He was surprised when he was told he was the captain [on Tuesday], but it was no surprise for me. Liam’s the captain, and from now on David’ll be the vice-captain."

Scotsman

Tom Hart RIP
29-08-2014, 07:17 AM
I would be happy for Gray to be captain but I should point out that off the field Liam Craig is a fantastic ambassador for the club. When it comes to charity events nothing is ever too much trouble and he goes out if his way to help.

Hiber-nation
29-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Good to hear.