PDA

View Full Version : Appreciation of Russell Smith

oregonhibby
27-08-2014, 06:50 AM
I was saddened to hear that Russell Smith is leaving the club next month. Russell had taken on the mantle of running all things commercial after Fyfe left the Club and against a difficult background he has worked tirelessly to deliver some excellent commercial deals for the Club. We tend to focus on the Board, the manager and the team, not always positively, but there are a number of unsung heroes at the Club who work away and who deserve credit such as Russell and John Nicol.

There are many changes going on at the Club hopefully to improve things but the loss of Russell is a set back. Even as late as last night he sought me out in the ground and did me a favour. One of the reasons I renewed my Edinburgh Suite ticket was the ideas, customer service and the friendship of Russell. I wish him well in the future and I know the job he is going to is an exciting development for him. It will also give him a bit of his life back.

Today giving praise is not always easy, but he for one, deserves some.

Hibeesmad
27-08-2014, 06:52 AM
I've met him on a few occasions and he's been brilliant, I know he's been here for a few yeas too. Wish him all the best

DoonTheSlope
27-08-2014, 07:00 AM
Ageee 100% with your post. I have had dealings with Russell over many years via my business Commsworld and can state without fear of contradiction that he is a top bloke and he will be a very difficult person to replace.

To be honest Russell leaving concerns me somewhat.

Russ if you read this best wishes with youe new job going forward and many thanks for the work you have done for our club.

matty_f
27-08-2014, 07:17 AM
Good luck to him when he goes. Only had a few interactions with him but have always been impressed to be fair. I wish him all the best as well.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-08-2014, 07:20 AM
Had the pleasure of meeting Russell and others through LWT. What folks might not be aware of is the hours these guys put in and before criticising forget the constraints they often operate under. Russell does a phenomenal job and will be hard to replace with one person. A passionate Hibee too well be hard placed to find such a combination I'd imagine.

Glasgow Hibee
27-08-2014, 07:43 AM
Had the pleasure of meeting Russell and others through LWT. What folks might not be aware of is the hours these guys put in and before criticising forget the constraints they often operate under. Russell does a phenomenal job and will be hard to replace with one person. A passionate Hibee too well be hard placed to find such a combination I'd imagine.

Never come across Russell, but I wanted to say it's great to read such a heartfelt, positive, appreciative thread. It really sounds like we have lost a very worthwhile member of the organisation.

Thanks for taking the time to post this guys. It's an refreshing example showing we are not all cynical idiots :-)

Weir7
27-08-2014, 08:04 AM
I was saddened to hear that Russell Smith is leaving the club next month. Russell had taken on the mantle of running all things commercial after Fyfe left the Club and against a difficult background he has worked tirelessly to deliver some excellent commercial deals for the Club. We tend to focus on the Board, the manager and the team, not always positively, but there are a number of unsung heroes at the Club who work away and who deserve credit such as Russell and John Nicol.

There are many changes going on at the Club hopefully to improve things but the loss of Russell is a set back. Even as late as last night he sought me out in the ground and did me a favour. One of the reasons I renewed my Edinburgh Suite ticket was the ideas, customer service and the friendship of Russell. I wish him well in the future and I know the job he is going to is an exciting development for him. It will also give him a bit of his life back.

Hibs should be trying to keep him. The hours etc these guys have to put in atER are Iincredible its a 24/7 job. Too much is asked of these guys.

Hibs lose is the homeless world cups gain.

Billy Whizz
27-08-2014, 08:17 AM
Where is he off too?

Cabbage Lad
27-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Russell is a top, top man. Took it upon himself to speak to LD on my behalf regarding an idea I had about Hibs coaching in my school in West Lothian. He's a guy who genuinely cares about the club and it's supporters. Good luck in the future. You will be extremely difficult to replace. Ggtth

Mikey
27-08-2014, 08:21 AM
Very sorry to see him go. He should be on the board, not heading out the door.

legends of 73
27-08-2014, 08:28 AM
Always found Russell very easy to deal with and nothing was a problem for him. He will be missed going to be very difficult to replace

Weststandwanab
27-08-2014, 08:38 AM
I would like to add my thanks and appreciation for all Russell has done for our club and wish him all the best for the future.

johnbc70
27-08-2014, 08:52 AM
So an all round good guy who gives his all for the club and is widely respected by the fans. Should the club not be looking to keep this type of employee? Maybe even give him a higher profile role? Unless he is off to a better and higher paid job then seems a strange one. Although you never know what goes on behind the scenes these days at ER.

PatHead
27-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Just spoken to Russell and found out the news before I came on here. Really good guy and will be an asset to his new company. Always approachable with ideas and asked opinion on things. Worked his socks off as well.

Will be missed. Good luck in your new job Russell

overdrive
27-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Is it his choice or is this part of the reorganisation/cuts?

Mr Pants
27-08-2014, 11:09 AM
A real loss to the Club. Worked with him on matchdays for years and is a top, top bloke. Loves his work and loves the Club.

yankyhibby
27-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Never come across Russell, but I wanted to say it's great to read such a heartfelt, positive, appreciative thread. It really sounds like we have lost a very worthwhile member of the organisation.

Thanks for taking the time to post this guys. It's an refreshing example showing we are not all cynical idiots :-)

My sentiments too.

FranckSuzy
27-08-2014, 11:27 AM
All the best, Russell and you will be sorely missed.

Sorry to bring a negative slant to a positive thread but I personally am rather worried about the good calibre of employees leaving the club of late. Especially when you consider they are good Hibby's too. IMHO, it's as if the baby is being thrown out with the bath water....

Leith Mo
27-08-2014, 11:58 AM
Hibs lose is the homeless world cups gain.

Is he involved with Homeless World Cup? A few years ago when I came back to Edinburgh I did some voluntary transaltion for them via the Club who were giving office space to the guys involved with Scotland's team when the competition was played in Italia. Can't remember the names of the people I dealt with at the Club but if this gent is one of them then he did a fantastic job for an excellent cause (as did the Club in giving use of facilities pro bono).

All the best for the future.

Boris
27-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Can only reiterate what other posters are saying. Had a number of dealings with Russell over the years on things like player sponsorship & when I had an Edinburgh Suite membership & then shared one of the F5 boxes for a couple of years. Always found Russell (and his colleague Amanda) a pleasure to deal with & very professional. Said brief hello to him last night in the shop before the game - if I'd known he was moving on I would have wished him all the best. Think he left for a while before (to Scottish Rugby I think).

Disappointed he's going as he was most definitely a great asset at Easter Road but best of luck to him & a big thanks for his efforts over the years.

Jonnyboy
27-08-2014, 02:32 PM

Agree with all of this. As others too have said, he's a top bloke and I wish him well in his new venture while wishing even harder that he wasn't leaving

Nameless
27-08-2014, 02:34 PM
I had hospitality for my birthday, and Russell was the most memorable part of the day. His kindness, and commitment to providing a special experience mark him out among his peers.

Jack
27-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Awe Russell!

Good luck :-)

ancient hibee
27-08-2014, 05:35 PM
So an all round good guy who gives his all for the club and is widely respected by the fans. Should the club not be looking to keep this type of employee? Maybe even give him a higher profile role? Unless he is off to a better and higher paid job then seems a strange one. Although you never know what goes on behind the scenes these days at ER.

Why don't you believe the truth-boy is going to a better job and one he wants to do.

hibees 7062
27-08-2014, 05:42 PM
All the best, Russell and you will be sorely missed.

Sorry to bring a negative slant to a positive thread but I personally am rather worried about the good calibre of employees leaving the club of late. Especially when you consider they are good Hibby's too. IMHO, it's as if the baby is being thrown out with the bath water....

:top marks:agree:

Stantons Angel
27-08-2014, 05:51 PM
id just like to echo the sentiments expressed on here and also like to thank Russell for everything he has done so well for our club.

When Russell left to take up a position with the Scottish Rugby Union i personally was sad he was going. He always had the club at heart and portrayed professionalism all the way through his transactions with both supporters and suppliers.

I was speaking with him at last nights game and he was so enthusiastic about his new venture. The Homeless World Cup is an awesome charity that needs someone like Russell to extend its remit further both locally and globally too.

Its sure to prosper even more with Russell doing his best to engage the public with the ethics of the charity and giving investors the chance to enrich the lives of others.

In the current situation the club finds itself in though, it is pretty worrying in that many people have lost their jobs or had to reapply for their jobs and been turned down or offered unacceptable decreases in salary.

You can say its all part and parcel of the club being relegated and the lack on income from season tickets but thats another respected member of staff leaving the sinking ship. The last time they tried to replace Russell twice and brought him back to steady the ship again?

Just what are they going to do now? Good luck Russell the Maudettes will defo miss you I really hope things work out with the HWC and that you enjoy Chile as much as i did Mexico with them at the finals!.

WhileTheChief..
27-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Crikey, reading this you would think the poor man has died! He's only changed jobs!!

ancient hibee
27-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Crikey, reading this you would think the poor man has died! He's only changed jobs!!

:top marks

johnbc70
27-08-2014, 06:07 PM
Why don't you believe the truth-boy is going to a better job and one he wants to do.

When I posted there was no mention of him going to a better job so please forgive me for not knowing that. If you read my post I say UNLESS he is going to another job then seemed strange, as he is going to a better job by the sounds of it and one he wants to do then thanks and good luck in the new role.

Stantons Angel
27-08-2014, 07:04 PM

Just goes to show you how highly the man is thought of by the club's supporters and how good he is at his job!

In this time of turmoil its good to have a familiar face that the fans know is approachable.

Gerard
27-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Russell is a dedicated employee of Hibs and a fan. I have enjoyed my dealings with him . Good luck in your next job.

RIP
27-08-2014, 10:34 PM
I hope he comes back when he is older to be our CEO.

Sorry LD not wishing you away quite yet.

dp00
28-08-2014, 07:01 PM
Think folk sometime forget the guys and girls behind the scenes at hibs who put in a tremendous amount of hours.. All for the love of the club.. Good example being tam McCourt who I saw leave club at 11:30 on Tuesday night.

Guys like Russell will be missed, as is Amanda who left before him , hopefully we get someone else in who is equally as passionate

JIm
28-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Think folk sometime forget the guys and girls behind the scenes at hibs who put in a tremendous amount of hours.. All for the love of the club.. Good example being tam McCourt who I saw leave club at 11:30 on Tuesday night.

Guys like Russell will be missed, as is Amanda who left before him , hopefully we get someone else in who is equally as passionate

I miss Amanda :thumbsup:

Good luck Russell.

I do fear that we are going to lose a few more good people behind the scenes. LD and GC are showing no mercy. Although change was clearly needed not happy with the way some of their dealings have been conducted.

Gerard
28-08-2014, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE=JIm;4145419]I miss Amanda :thumbsup:

Good luck Russell.

I do fear that we are going to lose a few more good people behind the scenes. LD and GC are showing no mercy. Although change was clearly needed not happy with the way some of their dealings have been conducted.[/Q
Sometimes change can be very hard to accept. In our case change was needed and because change to the way our club is run did not take place until a new CEO was hired the changes now appear to be hard. I know that LAD and her senior MT will make our club successful again:wink: