PDA

View Full Version : Goalkeepers & Hibs

lionrampant63
26-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Don't know if anyone out there agrees,but I come home from a game again tonight where we conceded 2 goals & I think both could have been avoided if the keeper would come & take the crosses in or around the 6 yard box.I reckon we have had this issue with keepers for a while now & think it's killed us on far too many occasions.

ManBearPig
27-08-2014, 02:25 AM
the first one he had a striker on his toes he tried to push out the way. Jury is still out on Oxley but I feel we should be able to defend set pieces better.

yankyhibby
27-08-2014, 06:34 AM
Don't know if anyone out there agrees,but I come home from a game again tonight where we conceded 2 goals & I think both could have been avoided if the keeper would come & take the crosses in or around the 6 yard box.I reckon we have had this issue with keepers for a while now & think it's killed us on far too many occasions.

It would be interesting to see reruns of all the goals we have conceded in order to see what part our goalkeeper has played. I like to think that Alan Stubbs and his staff scrutinise errors and mistakes by all players in order to iron them out and to improve everyone's game.

bingo70
27-08-2014, 06:39 AM
No way the keeper could have done anything about those goals.

I was a bit unsure at first bit I think Oxley looks good. Distribution is excellent as well

Forza Fred
27-08-2014, 06:41 AM
the first one he had a striker on his toes he tried to push out the way. Jury is still out on Oxley but I feel we should be able to defend set pieces better.

No disrespect to Oxley who in all fairness has been reasonable, but I still think we should have signed McDonald.

Pretty Boy
27-08-2014, 06:42 AM
The idea that a keeper should come for everything in the 6 yard box is one of those football myths that has endured for years.

It's just not true.

Ronniekirk
27-08-2014, 06:51 AM
No disrespect to Oxley who in all fairness has been reasonable, but I still think we should have signed McDonald.
We have who we have ,but yes I would of been happy if we had signed him and his display against us just confirmed for me he is a good keeper and will be one of the reasons Falkirk will be in top four this season .

R'Albin
27-08-2014, 06:58 AM
The idea that a keeper should come for everything in the 6 yard box is one of those football myths that has endured for years.

It's just not true.

:top marks:

The Leith Dutch
27-08-2014, 07:05 AM
His distribution is excellent.

Combine it with the overlapping of Kennedy and Booth from the first half on Saturday and Gray's decent crosses and we have a far better platform for an attack than a hoof up the park every single time.

My biggest worry is that his handling looks suspect - catch it cleanly or get it well out the box.
He's been better last couple of games after a few balls got loose after he saved them (the stuff of Hibs keeper nightmares for me).

cocopops1875
27-08-2014, 07:11 AM
I think it's way to early to Judge Oxley, for me he has done little (other than his goal) to warrant either criticism or praise at this point, he has not been to blame for anything in my opinion, maybe could have done a bit better in some situations and has had a few great saves 1 against hearts and a couple against Falkirk. Ps agree with Pretty Boy this a good keeper takes everything in his six yard box chat is a myth

lyonhibs
27-08-2014, 07:59 AM

It's just not true.

:agree::agree:
Perpetuated by eejits who've never even played in nets in a 5 a-side game.

I remember a game vs Rangers (??) when some Hun scored a header from in close in and Stack was crucified by the cognoscenti for not "dominating his 6 yard box". Never mind that the ball into the box was an absolute pearler that spent at most 2 seconds in the air from being crossed to being headed, which would have required reactions of a black belt Jedi to come and collect.

Ronniekirk
27-08-2014, 08:00 AM
I think it's way to early to Judge Oxley, for me he has done little (other than his goal) to warrant either criticism or praise at this point, he has not been to blame for anything in my opinion, maybe could have done a bit better in some situations and has had a few great saves 1 against hearts and a couple against Falkirk. Ps agree with Pretty Boy this a good keeper takes everything in his six yard box chat is a myth
Remember Andy goram in possibly one of his first games for us against st mirren at love street He came way out for two crosses and both times it cost us a goal But what a great keeper he turned out to be .

heretoday
27-08-2014, 08:10 AM
Hibs have been blessed with several world class goalies down the years. There was bound to be a day when the supply dried up.

I think Oxley is a presence, and he scores goals too which is a bonus.

cabbageandribs1875
27-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Hibs have been blessed with several world class goalies down the years. There was bound to be a day when the supply dried up.

I think Oxley is a presence, and he scores goals too which is a bonus.

but none of them home grown, Alan Rough, Jim Leighton and Andy Goram are the only ones i can remember being 'world' class, going further back i can just remember Thomson Allan, Jim Herriot, Mike McDonald but once again they weren't 'home grown' even further back was Tommy Younger and Tommy Preston(from Newtongrange star) and in recent years Andy Mcneil is probably the only 'home grown' keeper i think, and although he was a good shot stopper he certainly wasn't world class, the gimps have the monopoly on pretty decent keepers over the last few decades, although they seem to have ran out of them this season at least :)

BH Hibs
27-08-2014, 09:11 AM

It's just not true.

Agree with this especially with the changes in the make up of the ball in recent years as the seem to travel faster and move in the air a lot more. I also think this is why the modern keeper seems to punch rather than attempt to hold the crossed ball now as previously the flight of the ball stayed truer. A difference of microseconds I know but so are reactions.

MSK
27-08-2014, 09:11 AM
but none of them home grown, Alan Rough, Jim Leighton and Andy Goram are the only ones i can remember being 'world' class, going further back i can just remember Thomson Allan, Jim Herriot, Mike McDonald but once again they weren't 'home grown' even further back was Tommy Younger and Tommy Preston(from Newtongrange star) and in recent years Andy Mcneil is probably the only 'home grown' keeper i think, and although he was a good shot stopper he certainly wasn't world class, the gimps have the monopoly on pretty decent keepers over the last few decades, although they seem to have ran out of them this season at least :)Don't forget Jim McArthur ..:greengrin

J-C
27-08-2014, 09:16 AM
Good distribution but looks a bit shaky at crosses, he came out a couple of times on saturday and punched the ball but it didn't really go far enough and once he wiped out Forster and the ball at the same time, maybe he's still settling in.

cabbageandribs1875
27-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Don't forget Jim McArthur ..:greengrin

aaargh !!!! i'm positive i forgot about Jim the last time i mentioned past keepers on here as well :lips seal still not home grown though :greengrin

bingo70
27-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Good distribution but looks a bit shaky at crosses, he came out a couple of times on saturday and punched the ball but it didn't really go far enough and once he wiped out Forster and the ball at the same time, maybe he's still settling in.

I don't see that as a negative that he wiped out forster. That was the keepers ball and he made sure he got to it No matter what.

We've had keepers in the past that Tip toed round defenders trying not to hurt anyone, when that happens braver strikers nip in there and score. Any striker thinking about trying to bully Oxley in that game would have thought twice after that challenge.

monarch
27-08-2014, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=cabbageandribs1875;4143710]but none of them home grown, Alan Rough, Jim Leighton and Andy Goram are the only ones i can remember being 'world' class, going further back i can just remember Thomson Allan, Jim Herriot, Mike McDonald but once again they weren't 'home grown' even further back was Tommy Younger and Tommy Preston(from Newtongrange star) and in recent years Andy Mcneil is probably the only 'home grown' keeper i think, and although he was a good shot stopper he certainly wasn't world class, the gimps have the monopoly on pretty decent keepers over the last few decades, although they seem to have ran out of them this season at least :)[/QUOTE

Although Andy McNeill is a local lad he was signed from Southampton. Tommy Preston was an old fashioned inside forward not a goalie. Despite me being pedantic I agree with the point you made.:agree:

cabbageandribs1875
27-08-2014, 09:38 AM
[QUOTE=cabbageandribs1875;4143710]but none of them home grown, Alan Rough, Jim Leighton and Andy Goram are the only ones i can remember being 'world' class, going further back i can just remember Thomson Allan, Jim Herriot, Mike McDonald but once again they weren't 'home grown' even further back was Tommy Younger and Tommy Preston(from Newtongrange star) and in recent years Andy Mcneil is probably the only 'home grown' keeper i think, and although he was a good shot stopper he certainly wasn't world class, the gimps have the monopoly on pretty decent keepers over the last few decades, although they seem to have ran out of them this season at least :)[/QUOTE

Although Andy McNeill is a local lad he was signed from Southampton. Tommy Preston was an old fashioned inside forward not a goalie. Despite me being pedantic I agree with the point you made.:agree:

:doh: who the heck am i thinking of then :confused: ronnie simpson ? just too far back for me although i really should have known Tommy Preston was a striker :whistle: P.S. K obviously didn't notice my deliberate faux pas either :greengrin

MSK
27-08-2014, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=monarch;4143750]

:doh: who the heck am i thinking of then :confused: ronnie simpson ? just too far back for me although i really should have known Tommy Preston was a striker :whistle: P.S. K obviously didn't notice my deliberate faux pas either :greengrinI did ...Monarch beat me to the bell though ...:tee hee:

Septimus
27-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Kerr deserves a mention.

ManBearPig
27-08-2014, 05:14 PM

It's just not true.

this. couldnt agree more.

erin go bragh
27-08-2014, 05:23 PM

Im glad we didnt sign Mcdonald . He sold the goals against The Rangers a week past Fri . He always plays out his skin against us , but spills more balls than a toddler in a soft play .

Ggtth

ancient hibee
27-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Tommy Younger from Hutchie and Lawrie Leslie from Nitten were both excellent goalies and both would count as home grown-Leslie should have got far more caps than he did.

jdships
27-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Kerr deserves a mention.

Absolutely another local lad ( Ormiston) and don't let's forget George Farm !!
Sadly Kerr never was capped probably due to Rangers' Bobby Brown and Celtic's Willie Miller being around at that time.

Kerr was the first Hibs player I was introduced to by my uncle back in 1940 and was always " my favourite " !!

:flag:

The_Exile
27-08-2014, 07:30 PM

It's just not true.

Completely agree mate, the art of goalkeeping has certainly evolved somewhat from the days of Budgie, Goram and Leighton. The onus is firmly on the centre back pairing (if playing 4 at the back) to deal with high balls into the box these days. That's not to say the keeper isn't capable, most are relatively competent at it, but with the emergence of the offside trap and the exploitation of it, centre backs tend to play a bit deeper these days, therefore to avoid GK's and CB's coming together it's widely accepted that the responsibility to deal with your average high ball into a busy penalty box is largely the centre backs.

Having said that, there are some quite good examples of exceptions to this rule. If you've watched a Chelsea game any time Cech played he went up for everything, same with Courtois, he's effin excellent at plucking a ball out the air, Neuer is another great example. Come to think of it, Chelsea probably have 2 of the best 3 or 4 keepers in the world at the moment.

Peevemor
27-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Completely agree mate, the art of goalkeeping has certainly evolved somewhat from the days of Budgie, Goram and Leighton. The onus is firmly on the centre back pairing (if playing 4 at the back) to deal with high balls into the box these days. That's not to say the keeper isn't capable, most are relatively competent at it, but with the emergence of the offside trap and the exploitation of it, centre backs tend to play a bit deeper these days, therefore to avoid GK's and CB's coming together it's widely accepted that the responsibility to deal with your average high ball into a busy penalty box is largely the centre backs.

Having said that, there are some quite good examples of exceptions to this rule. If you've watched a Chelsea game any time Cech played he went up for everything, same with Courtois, he's effin excellent at plucking a ball out the air, Neuer is another great example. Come to think of it, Chelsea probably have 2 of the best 3 or 4 keepers in the world at the moment.

It's funny you mention Budgie in your post. In the Keith Keith Keith league cup semi (still one of my favourite Hibs matches), Geebsie and Tommy McIntyre played had the best game I can remember from a Hibs CH pairing, leaving budgie to do what he did best - stopping shots.

Septimus
28-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Sadly Kerr never was capped probably due to Rangers' Bobby Brown and Celtic's Willie Miller being around at that time.

Kerr was the first Hibs player I was introduced to by my uncle back in 1940 and was always " my favourite " !!

I had forgotten George Farm. I,m getting old! Kerr was the first Hibs goalkeeper I saw.

jdships
28-08-2014, 12:45 PM
I had forgotten George Farm. I,m getting old! Kerr was the first Hibs goalkeeper I saw.

:hibees
Thanks for that
Glad there is someone still around who like me remembers the " Glory days" of the " Famous Five" although it is getting harder and harder to really bring it back into focus !!

Been a real " Roller Coaster " ride this last 60 odd years but wouldn't have missed it for anything :top marks

wookie70
28-08-2014, 02:13 PM
I think Oxley has settled in pretty well and apart from the goal against the Huns I don't think I would point the finger at him for any we have conceded. The last 3 goals all came from back post corners that were knocked down one way or another. It is a big gamble for the Keeper to back peddle into a crowd to punch or catch a ball beyond his back post imo. I can see why he left all three to his Centre Halves. I would say those goals were bad defending by the defender involved in the initial knockdown and the one who was marking the scorer. Not much the keeper could have done in my view.

ancient hibee
28-08-2014, 05:45 PM

You'll remember Willie Miller came to Hibs for a short while at the end of his career.I saw him play against Arsenal 2-2 I think and he let in a soft one from Tommy Lawton.

cocopops1875
29-08-2014, 07:08 AM

My Grandfather played in the same school team as Jimmy, as the Alzheimer's took hold he continually recounted the story of Jimmy's Debut for Hibs sometimes 3-4 times an evening, it's funny the things they hold clear in their minds when unable to remember 5 minutes ago. For that reason I have always held Jimmy in high regard even though I am far too young to have ever seen him