PDA

View Full Version : my life as a hibby

one day maybe...
26-08-2014, 09:56 PM
I remember going to Easter Road as a wee boy in the mid to late 70’s and I would roar on Mickey Edwards and stand googly eyed at Alex Cropley (my hero at that age). The crowds were huge or so I thought, a scary mix of drunken men and young boys swaying back and forward as Hibs attacked. I fell in love with the men in Green & White.
As I grew older I went by myself, my dad no longer required to come with me. It was the eighties the excitement off the pitch far more appetising than the garbage on it. Year after year I yearned for Hibs to turn Hearts over in derby games, I hated getting beat in those games and went home from many a game gutted, but still passionately in love with the Hi-bees. That era being a Hibs fan was the worst in derby history, but still I went in hope of turning them over, still I loved the Hi-bees.

My first final was great even though we lost to Aberdeen, 85-86 season. I couldn’t wait to return to Hampden as an expectant Hibby, I had to wait 7 more seasons. A league cup win in the 91-92 season was ace even though I was one of thousands locked out of Hampden. I’d never seen so many Hibs fans.

Further visits to the league cup final in 93-94 and 03-04 didn’t go as planned, but hey I’m a Hibby things don’t always go to plan. The final in 06-07 saw us play exceptionally well on a snowy Sunday in Glasgow, the first and only time I have seen Hibs lift a trophy.
My first Scottish Cup final was in 00-01, I arrived like many others praying we could end the hoodoo, alas we never turned up on the day and Celtic waltzed away with the trophy. We were not to appear again until that fated final in 2011-12 and then again a year later, we were teased with the opportunity to grasp history, we came up short.

Over the last few season my heart has grown heavier and heavier being a Hibs fan. I have watched our team become weaker and weaker. I am at a loss as to what has happened to that little boy who screamed at Mickey Edwards every home game on a Saturday, what has happened to the club he loves?

I don’t recognise Hibs anymore.

I was writing this as we were 2-0 down to Dumbarton and swithered as to whether to post it. Well I have, as you can read.

I will say well done on retrieving the situation, but we should never be 2-0 down at home to a team of part timers.

So for the management and players, I ask. please give us back the pride I once felt as a wee boy pulling on my freshly washed strip. Please wear our colours with pride, passion and commitment and I will still love you. That can’t be too much to ask surely.
GGTTH

Hibbyradge
26-08-2014, 10:08 PM
If you gave Mickey Edwards abuse when you were little, I can't imagine what you're like these days! :wink:

andymcc1875
26-08-2014, 10:22 PM
Great post sums it up perfectly for alot of hibs fans

yankyhibby
26-08-2014, 10:32 PM
Touching wee post and one a great many of us can relate to.

Stantons Angel
27-08-2014, 07:19 PM
I remember going to Easter Road as a wee boy in the mid to late 70’s and I would roar on Mickey Edwards and stand googly eyed at Alex Cropley (my hero at that age). The crowds were huge or so I thought, a scary mix of drunken men and young boys swaying back and forward as Hibs attacked. I fell in love with the men in Green & White.
As I grew older I went by myself, my dad no longer required to come with me. It was the eighties the excitement off the pitch far more appetising than the garbage on it. Year after year I yearned for Hibs to turn Hearts over in derby games, I hated getting beat in those games and went home from many a game gutted, but still passionately in love with the Hi-bees. That era being a Hibs fan was the worst in derby history, but still I went in hope of turning them over, still I loved the Hi-bees.

My first final was great even though we lost to Aberdeen, 85-86 season. I couldn’t wait to return to Hampden as an expectant Hibby, I had to wait 7 more seasons. A league cup win in the 91-92 season was ace even though I was one of thousands locked out of Hampden. I’d never seen so many Hibs fans.

Further visits to the league cup final in 93-94 and 03-04 didn’t go as planned, but hey I’m a Hibby things don’t always go to plan. The final in 06-07 saw us play exceptionally well on a snowy Sunday in Glasgow, the first and only time I have seen Hibs lift a trophy.
My first Scottish Cup final was in 00-01, I arrived like many others praying we could end the hoodoo, alas we never turned up on the day and Celtic waltzed away with the trophy. We were not to appear again until that fated final in 2011-12 and then again a year later, we were teased with the opportunity to grasp history, we came up short.

Over the last few season my heart has grown heavier and heavier being a Hibs fan. I have watched our team become weaker and weaker. I am at a loss as to what has happened to that little boy who screamed at Mickey Edwards every home game on a Saturday, what has happened to the club he loves?

I don’t recognise Hibs anymore.

I was writing this as we were 2-0 down to Dumbarton and swithered as to whether to post it. Well I have, as you can read.

I will say well done on retrieving the situation, but we should never be 2-0 down at home to a team of part timers.

So for the management and players, I ask. please give us back the pride I once felt as a wee boy pulling on my freshly washed strip. Please wear our colours with pride, passion and commitment and I will still love you. That can’t be too much to ask surely.
GGTTH

I guess i count myself lucky to have been able to watch the best Hibs team in my lifetime, Turnbulls Tornadoes! The feelings you express so well in your post i have felt often as ive watched a once great club hit the slide in a downward angle.

Thoughts of Edwards pin point crosses all over the park with Arthur running down the left wing ably assisted by a marauding Erich Schaedler. The elegance of "God" spreading passes all over and supporting Gordon & and Orourke as they surged forward, are never far from my thoughts.

What we have now is an experimental side of young players who individually have their own talent to show us. It will take time for them to gel and look like a team but i can honestly say i am confident that Stubbs will turn it around.
He needs a couple of other experienced players to cajole the youngsters along. The main thing though is he needs the support of posters like you!
The pride and the passion in supporting Hibs will return but not overnight. The Hibs support are due some decent football and results from the team and club but need us along with them.

Money is tight all around and no one want to pay to watch a substandard team but we cant afford to keep changing managers and personnel time after time. This is a young team and needs to feel the confidence coming from the terraces.

Lets help them grow into the game and give them the confidence to express themselves on the park. Support your team!

Bruceb1875
28-08-2014, 05:11 AM
Brilliant post.... A nice refreshin change from the usual. Aye the Dumbarton game was for me very similar to Falkirk in the cup ..although we weren't 3down.. Who would of thought 3goals..
i really believe that what is happenin just now at Hibs is MASSIVE on our Great Clubs Future.
its ONLY NOW that I can Accept and Nod that gettin beat from Hamilton last day... Was Actually A Blessin in disguise. If We Can Hang on to Our players for 2seasons instead of 6mnth loans..
i truly Believe we will become Great. I Love Lovin Hibs too bud. GGTTH
:flag: