PDA

View Full Version : Liam Fontaine joins Hibs - 1 year contract

Thecat23
25-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Been told tonight he's signed for us and should be announced this week. He's a Centre Half who played with Bristol City.

Aldo
25-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Been told tonight he's signed for us and should be announced this week. He's a Centre Half who played with Bristol City.

250 odd apps for the . 6ft 2 so bit of a presence about him.

Right CF and Creative MF player next please Hibs.

Cheers TC

Haymaker

Pretty sure he played during the ivan years, went to see BC a few times and he was decent.

bingo70
Looks good on paper.

Would be happy with this.

Thecat23
25-08-2014, 08:50 PM

Cheers TC

Exactly what we need. Now a CM and a striker.

SteveHFC
Good player. :thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
That would be a decent signing.

Arguably an improvement if he's a replacement for Nelson.

blackpoolhibs

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11672/9398429/transfer-news-former-bristol-city-defender-liam-fontaine-training-with-bolton

snooky

Hibs have splashed out on a CH at last :cb

Aldo
Exactly what we need. Now a CM and a striker.

Yip couldn't agree more!

Gordy M
25-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Dare i say quality over quantity...:wink:

brog
25-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Funny, I was in Beckenham last night with some ITK Palace fans & I was told we may be getting someone from them. I thought they were just a few months behind on the Sow story but quite possible it was Liam instead given he's a Beckenham boy!

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Dare i say quality over quantity...:wink:

Hopefully. :pray:

greenlex
25-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Dare i say quality over quantity...:wink:Boooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Gordy M
25-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Boooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hahaha im just looking for some positives!! The link that blackpool hibs posted seems to suggest he would be a really decent signing!!

Gordy M
25-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Hopefully. :pray:
:thumbsup: Need something to cheer us up mate, think he would be decent!

B.H.F.C
25-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Left sided centre back. If he signs is there more to Hanlons injury than we are being led to believe?

brog
25-08-2014, 08:59 PM
And another name never mentioned anywhere, to my knowledge, before this! If Stubbsy can stop the defensive leaks as well as he's stopped the transfer leaks we'll be fine!

Billy Whizz
25-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Is he coming in as cover?

3pm
25-08-2014, 09:00 PM
3 at the back, here we come!

portycabbage
25-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Previously played for Kilmarnock on loan according to Wiki-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Fontaine

edit- 3 of his 5 appearances were against *****

J-C
25-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Is he coming in as cover?

I would think he'd be coming is to push for a place and keep the other two on their toes.

ekhibee
25-08-2014, 09:15 PM
I can't see him coming here if Bolton go for him TBH, but that's just my opinion.

Baldy Foghorn
25-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Liam Fontaine looks good on paper, hopefully provides competition for CH places.....

mentalhibee
25-08-2014, 09:23 PM
I can't see him coming here if Bolton go for him TBH, but that's just my opinion.

Bolton didn't offer him a deal after his trial period.

OsloHibs
25-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Has he signed?

Thecat23
25-08-2014, 09:25 PM

Already here.

Thecat23
25-08-2014, 09:26 PM
Has he signed?

I'm told he has.

hibees 7062
25-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Bolton didn't offer him a deal after his trial period.

They've got some good defenders mate

worcesterhibby
25-08-2014, 09:33 PM
This is a fantastic example of why we haven't signed more players yet.

Alan Stubbs knows this guy and rates him. Everton fans know this guy and rate him. By trying to sign him we are aiming to get a very good player indeed…so guess what..said player has other clubs after him…clubs that may be more attractive to them. In this case Bolton, who agree to give him a trail and think about taking him on loan…at this point what should Stubbs do…sign someone who is available but he thinks is not as good a player ? or wait to see if Bolton do offer him a deal and if they don't jump in and grab him ?

Sounds like Stubbs has decided to be patient, (although I bet it's bloody frustrating for him) and in this case it may have worked out to Hibs advantage. It may be a loan, but this is a player who won Everton u21 player of the season in May…we simply don't have anywhere near the money to BUY a player like that, but with Stubbs at the helm we do have a chance to get him on loan. playing the waiting game is hugely frustrating for Manager, coaching staff and Fans alike, but if it get's us Quality players instead of journeyman crap..I'm all for it.

Gordy M
25-08-2014, 09:38 PM

Alan Stubbs knows this guy and rates him. Everton fans know this guy and rate him. By trying to sign him we are aiming to get a very good player indeed…so guess what..said player has other clubs after him…clubs that may be more attractive to them. In this case Bolton, who agree to give him a trail and think about taking him on loan…at this point what should Stubbs do…sign someone who is available but he thinks is not as good a player ? or wait to see if Bolton do offer him a deal and if they don't jump in and grab him ?

Sounds like Stubbs has decided to be patient, (although I bet it's bloody frustrating for him) and in this case it may have worked out to Hibs advantage. It may be a loan, but this is a player who won Everton u21 player of the season in May…we simply don't have anywhere near the money to BUY a player like that, but with Stubbs at the helm we do have a chance to get him on loan. playing the waiting game is hugely frustrating for Manager, coaching staff and Fans alike, but if it get's us Quality players instead of journeyman crap..I'm all for it.

Think ur a bit mixed up with the guy browning, who was mentioned on an earlier thread, however the part about him going on trial with bolton and AS waiting to see is a valid point mate!

B.H.F.C
25-08-2014, 09:39 PM
I'm told he has.

Sound very confident Cat! Should be comfortable at this level having played plenty in the English championship.

Thecat23
25-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Sound very confident Cat! Should be comfortable at this level having played plenty in the English championship.

Yeah guy who told me has given me great info before. I expect it to make tomorrow's paper as well. He should stroll this league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
25-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Yeah guy who told me has given me great info before. I expect it to make tomorrow's paper as well. He should stroll this league.

We still need a forward IMO.:worried:

worcesterhibby
25-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Think ur a bit mixed up with the guy browning, who was mentioned on an earlier thread, however the part about him going on trial with bolton and AS waiting to see is a valid point mate!

Oh crap have I ? :embarrass did he not win player of the season then ? still as you say I think my point is still valid :greengrin

Ronniekirk
25-08-2014, 09:54 PM
According to the cat he has signed so Bolton are too late , but on the other hand some of his previous sources turned out to be wrong so will wait and see on this one

MyJo
25-08-2014, 10:09 PM
According to the cat he has signed so Bolton are too late , but on the other hand some of his previous sources turned out to be wrong so will wait and see on this one

The sky news article was from the end if July, almost 4 weeks ago, if Bolton were going to sign him they would have done it by now

portycabbage
25-08-2014, 10:12 PM
The sky news article was from the end if July, almost 4 weeks ago, if Bolton were going to sign him they would have done it by now

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/11392366.Former_Bristol_City_man_Liam_Fontaine_lea ves_Bolton_Wanderers_after_trial_period/

overdrive
25-08-2014, 10:16 PM

He's never been on Everton's books I don't think.

Hibeesmad
25-08-2014, 10:21 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1022124/Its-just-Fontaine-reveals-Liverpool-boss-Benitez.html

Scenes

Ozyhibby
25-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Looks like a decent signing. Could this be the week that we see some proper movement?
Let's hope so.

worcesterhibby
26-08-2014, 06:38 AM
He's never been on Everton's books I don't think.

yea I know, see above..I'm getting confused with Tyas Browning mentioned in a different thread :greengrin

carnoustiehibee
26-08-2014, 07:01 AM
From Bristol City forum....

According to Twitter it'll be announced tomorrow, 2 year deal.

Good signing for Hibs, if true.

Having watched Partick T a fair bit at that level in the past, I'd suggest that even on bad form, Fontaine is significantly better than your average centre back in that league.

Good luck to him.

bingo70
26-08-2014, 07:37 AM
It's in today's Sun apparently he's signing today.

Good scoop cat.

PeterboroHibee
26-08-2014, 07:51 AM
I remember thinking a few years ago that Fontaine was a good player, although admittedly I havent seen him much since then. Sounds like a good signing though!

Billy Whizz
26-08-2014, 07:56 AM
I remember thinking a few years ago that Fontaine was a good player, although admittedly I havent seen him much since then. Sounds like a good signing though!

Can't remember him at Killie. When and how long did he play there?

Mr White
26-08-2014, 08:00 AM

3 league games in 05 according to wiki

Hibee87
26-08-2014, 08:14 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/liam-fontaine-set-to-make-hibs-debut-today-1-3520540

Welcome to the club, must be official now :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
26-08-2014, 08:16 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/liam-fontaine-set-to-make-hibs-debut-today-1-3520540

Welcome to the club, must be official now :thumbsup:

Nice of them to merge our story with one about Hearts! :bitchy:

Thecat23
26-08-2014, 08:26 AM
It's in today's Sun apparently he's signing today.

Good scoop cat.

Cheers bud.

PeterboroHibee
26-08-2014, 08:32 AM

I dont remember him at Killie, and according to Wikipedia he only played a few games on loan. It was at Bristol City I remember seeing him play.

Hamish
26-08-2014, 08:44 AM
According to the Daily Smail article from 2006 he can play left back and midfield as well so may be an option when Hanlon returns.

nellio
26-08-2014, 08:48 AM
Playing tonight so must be signed up. Look forward to seeing him in action!

Togs91
26-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Welcome to the club!!

Ronniekirk
26-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Cheers bud.
Credit where credit is due I should never have doubted your source . who's next :wink:

brog
26-08-2014, 09:20 AM
Admins, any chance we could get his name spelled correctly in thread title?
Thank you
A pedant!

Green&White
26-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Admins, any chance we could get his name spelled correctly in thread title?
Thank you
A pedant!

*Spelt

spelled is the american way

:greengrin

a fellow pedant

xyz23jc
26-08-2014, 09:39 AM
*Spelt

a fellow pedant

Haha. Excellent stuff, made me laugh that!

R11Loaded
26-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Wondering when this will be announced, if he is set to play tonight...

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

LancsHibs
26-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Looks like a good signing!:thumbsup:

Keith_M
26-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Wondering when this will be announced, if he is set to play tonight...

The article mentioned one piece of paperwork still to sign so maybe waiting till it's 100% then announce it on the website.

If this goes through, it'll make me happy as I felt we were still short in a few positions. Now let's push the boat out and get a/nother* prolific goalscorer please :greengrin

* Trying to avoid any arguments over El Alagui :wink:

R11Loaded
26-08-2014, 09:55 AM
The article mentioned one piece of paperwork still to sign so maybe waiting till it's 100% then announce it on the website.

If this goes through, it'll make me happy as I felt we were still short in a few positions. Now let's push the boat out and get a/nother* prolific goalscorer please :greengrin

* Trying to avoid any arguments over El Alagui :wink:

I think a new central midfielder who won't bottle it to take the game to an opponent

GreenCastle
26-08-2014, 09:57 AM
http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/160187-liam-fontaine/

Stevie Reid
26-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Very pleased.

TRC
26-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Think we need a scott brown type player in the middle. Someone to put their foot on the ball as well as noise up players!

Keith_M
26-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Think we need a scott brown type player in the middle. Someone to put their foot on the ball as well as noise up players!

Maybe we'll just go the whole hog and get Brown himself. He might be announced this week.... when Griffiths is paraded at the press conference :wink:

Borderhibbie76
26-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Cheers bud.
Well done TC never let us down. .can u now give us a scoop on a prolific striker signing please :)

brydekirk
26-08-2014, 10:09 AM
This

bingo70
26-08-2014, 10:11 AM

See Scott Robinson has been released by hearts.

(I'm only half joking, I've actually always thought he was quite good against us)

SanFranHibs
26-08-2014, 10:13 AM
This is a genuine question and in no way am I suggesting that anyone we sign is not given our support but do you consider Liam Fontaine a 'quality' player, the kind that will have the ticket office staff rushed off their feet trying to keep up with the demand for season tickets? Or is he another journeyman? Or indeed someone with no where else to go as it seems that Yeovil are not interested in signing him, let alone Bristol City. Is the quality of player we have been 'holding out' for?

Years Team Apps (Gls)
2004–2006 Fulham 1 (0)
2004 Yeovil Town (loan) 15 (0)
2005 Kilmarnock (loan) 3 (0)
2005 Yeovil Town (loan) 10 (0)
2006 Bristol City (loan) 15 (0)
2006–2014 Bristol City 247 (6)
2013–2014 Yeovil Town (loan) 5 (0)

Source: Wiki

Frankly, if this happens (And according to the Scotsman he is playing tonight, but a more recent report on the BBC claims we are trying to sign him) I will of course be giving him my full support but am just wondering if the board's state of mind is in exactly the same place as the past few years, 'We want them cheap'.

Seems Bristol loaned him out as he endured a torrid relegation season and was low in confidence and a target for the boo boys. Should fit in then. :wink:

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Loaning-Liam-Fontaine-Yeovil-toughest-decision/story-19797844-detail/story.html

This really is not a 'negative' post although some will say it is. It's not!!! The players Stubbs has brought in, especially it seems Allan and Kennedy seem good players so he must have seen enough of this player, although I can't imagine where and when and it seems he did not come for a trial, to feel confident he can tighten up our defence.

And of course he comes to a club where players on a confidence low are given full support from our fans and not a boo boy to be heard! :greengrin

Just a genuine question on the quality of the 'signing' as opposed to the quality of the player. What I mean by that is if LG had somehow signed I think we all would accept it was a 'quality' signing, a show of intent by the board of quality over quantity, even if it somehow went all wrong. Our other signings, which Liam Fontaine seems to fall into, is we sign them and hope for the best that they prove themselves quality signings. We we wont be able to judge Fontaine for at least twenty minutes :wink:

But if he is here, he gets my full support short of running through the streets of Paris shouting 'Vive la Republique', 'Vive la Fontaine', whereas if LG was to sign up soon.....'Vive la qualité'.

:flag:

Stevie Reid
26-08-2014, 10:22 AM
This is a genuine question and in no way am I suggesting that anyone we sign is not given our support but do you consider Liam Fontaine a 'quality' player, the kind that will have the ticket office staff rushed off their feet trying to keep up with the demand for season tickets? Or is he another journeyman? Or indeed someone with no where else to go as it seems that Yeovil are not interested in signing him, let alone Bristol City. Is the quality of player we have been 'holding out' for?

Frankly, if this happens (And according to the Scotsman he is playing tonight, but a more recent report on the BBC claims we are trying to sign him) I will of course be giving him my full support but am just wondering if the board's state of mind is in exactly the same place as the past few years, 'We want them cheap'.

Seems Bristol loaned him out as he endured a torrid relegation season and was low in confidence and a target for the boo boys. Should fit in then. :wink:

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Loaning-Liam-Fontaine-Yeovil-toughest-decision/story-19797844-detail/story.html

This really is not a 'negative' post although some will say it is. It's not!!! The players Stubbs has brought in, especially it seems Allan and Kennedy seem good players so he must have seen enough of this player, although I can't imagine where and when and it seems he did not come for a trial, to feel confident he can tighten up our defence.

And of course he comes to a club where players on a confidence low are given full support from our fans and not a boo boy to be heard! :greengrin

Just a genuine question on the quality of the 'signing' as opposed to the quality of the player. What I mean by that is if LG had somehow signed I think we all would accept it was a 'quality' signing, a show of intent by the board of quality over quantity, even if it somehow went all wrong. Our other signings, which Liam Fontaine seems to fall into, is we sign them and hope for the best that they prove themselves quality signings. We we wont be able to judge Fontaine for at least twenty minutes :wink:

But if he is here, he gets my full support short of running through the streets of Paris shouting 'Vive la Republique', 'Vive la Fontaine', whereas if LG was to sign up soon.....'Vive la qualité'.

Every signing at every level of football carries an element of risk. There are no guarantees.

Keith_M
26-08-2014, 10:26 AM
This is a genuine question and in no way am I suggesting that anyone we sign is not given our support but do you consider Liam Fontaine a 'quality' player, the kind that will have the ticket office staff rushed off their feet trying to keep up with the demand for season tickets? ............

No, and I think Dempster and Stubbs made a rod for their own back when they used the phrase 'quality over quantity'. A journeyman footballer probably describes him quite well.

That doesn't mean that I think he's a bad signing, as I think he'll probably do well in the league we're in, but I think the management have raised the expectations of the fans to an unrealistic level by using that unfortunate phrase.

sambajustice
26-08-2014, 10:28 AM
http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/160187-liam-fontaine/

The boy is getting slated in there!

Iain G
26-08-2014, 10:30 AM
No, and I think Dempster and Stubbs made a rod for their own back when they used the phrase 'quality over quantity'. A journeyman footballer probably describes him quite well.

That doesn't mean that I think he's a bad signing, as I think he'll probably do well in the league we're in, but I think the management have raised the expectations of the fans to an unrealistic level by using that unfortunate phrase.

Played most of his career with Bristol City, hardly a description of a journeyman.

SanFranHibs
26-08-2014, 10:31 AM

Exactly Keekaboo. I am not saying it is a bad signing. Anyone we sign will get my support.

And I had actually started saying the same thing about LD's phrase but dropped it.

I still think we are missing a 'spark' in the team, though. (Not a 'Sparkie' :wink:)

Now I am having to think about my choice of words. A new direction for me :greengrin

Keith_M
26-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Played most of his career with Bristol City, hardly a description of a journeyman.

You're probably right.

I think it's more the standard of player that was being hinted at in his case. I'm not saying though that he's in any way a bad signing, as we all know how well Jones did at Hibs and I would love it if he was of a similar standard.

SanFranHibs
26-08-2014, 10:35 AM

I was asking how others felt about the signing!

10 years ago a junior English player, some good times with Bristol, then some bad times, loaned out to Yeovil and now evidently wanted by neither and coming to a Scottish lower division.

If we are honest hardly on the way up though, is it?

Iain G
26-08-2014, 10:36 AM
You're probably right.

I think it's more the standard of player that was being hinted at in his case. I'm not saying though that he's in any way a bad signing, as we all know how well Jones did at Hibs and I would love it if he was of a similar standard.

Once got sacked by Hibs and got picked up as manager by Bristol City in Footy Manager, Fontaine was the cornerstone of my defence :greengrin

Anyway, in the real world, I suspect he is a better option than Nelson at the back, plenty of decent league experience and he is 6 years younger.

Ronniekirk
26-08-2014, 10:37 AM

Think we can take it as read that some players he would have liked to entice to the club have had in thier view better options .We now find ourselves heading to wards the window shutting ,and apart from maybe a loan deal for one of the Everton lads he wants ,Stubbs may be prepared to wait up to the last minute to see if that materialises He rightly won't want to leave everything to that last day ,just look what happened with T B s last three deadline day signings that proved futile .
Is he quality I don't know till I see him play but some folk that saw him at Bristol think he will be an assett in this current division.Is he a box office draw no ,but no one IMO is expecting that kind of signing now I don't think ( we can wish though ) Butfor the league we are currently in I think all his permanent signings will do well for us Althogh wish Oxley would catch tha ball more he parries shots back into danger zone a bit too Mutch for my likening and he was punching it away a lot v Falkirk But so far you would have to give Stubbs credit He and Leeann have put in place a Thorough vetting process so he won't just have signed him on basis of watching some old video montage that's for sure .
Two more quality players one being a striker are needed Just coz Heff won't move on ,doesn't mean we should play him if he isn't scoring and to date he looks like he has lost a bit of confidence in front of goal and will struggle when we up the tempo and think Stubbs wants more of that once he settles on his first eleven . We know we could sell Craig and if he is going to play him deep and negate his goal scoring threat there must be a deal waiting to be done to bring in someone else .But maybe Stubbs likes the fact he gives him options

Iain G
26-08-2014, 10:39 AM

10 years ago a junior English player, some good times with Bristol, then some bad times, loaned out to Yeovil and now evidently wanted by neither and coming to a Scottish lower division.

A Central defender who has played 300 odd games in his career, decent experience at a level on par with the SPL never mind Championship.

An improvement on what we have and seems a step in the right direction to developing a spine down the middle of the team.

J-C
26-08-2014, 10:40 AM

It looks that way but sometimes a player gets himself lost football wise and just needs a bit of guidance, he's played at a very decent level and hopefully Stubbs can get him firing on all cylinders again.

HappyHibby93
26-08-2014, 10:43 AM

Totally agree, we need somebody with a bit of bite. We need someone with a bit of attitude and a bit of a nasty side. I think we're to soft at the moment.

Lee Marvin
26-08-2014, 10:52 AM

An what exactly is ur definition of 'quality'. My guess is that's it's players that are out of our reach and we realistically can't sign.

Quality is relevant to team, budget, division etc. Id say someone who scored 29 goals in this season 2 years ago is quality, someone who was at man utd until 24 and played 46 games for Preston athletic in the championship is quality, someone that southampton where willing to pay £1m for 3 years ago only for guy to fail medical sounds like quality.

What, REALISTICALLY, constitutes quality to you sir?

Keith_M
26-08-2014, 10:55 AM
An what exactly is ur definition of 'quality'. My guess is that's it's players that are out of our reach and we realistically can't sign.

Quality is relevant to team, budget, division etc. Id say someone who scored 29 goals in this season 2 years ago is quality, someone who was at man utd until 24 and played 46 games for Preston athletic in the championship is quality, someone that southampton where willing to pay £1m for 3 years ago only for guy to fail medical sounds like quality.

What, REALISTICALLY, constitutes quality to you sir?

Wow, I'm Sir now, I must have been promoted :greengrin

Actually, I think you're possibly over-reacting to my post as I didn't at any point criticise the quality of this signing. If you'd care to read my post(s) again, you'll see that I felt the management had unduly raised the expectations of some Fans with the phrase they used. That's all, nothing sinister.

Ach, stuff it, here you go. That'll save you trawling through all the posts....

If this goes through, it'll make me happy as I felt we were still short in a few positions. Now let's push the boat out and get a/nother* prolific goalscorer please http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/greengrin2.gif

* Trying to avoid any arguments over El Alagui http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/winky.gif

I'm not saying though that he's in any way a bad signing, as we all know how well Jones did at Hibs and I would love it if he was of a similar standard.

Lee Marvin
26-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Wow, I'm Sir now, I must have been promoted :greengrin

Actually, I think you're possibly over-reacting to my post as I didn't at any point criticise the quality of this signing. If you'd care to read my post(s) again, you'll see that I felt the management had unduly raised the expectations of some Fans with the phrase they used. That's all, nothing sinister.

Ok that's fine. But you didn't answer my question. I believe we are going down the route of quality over quantity, within the realistic boundaries we have. You and many others disagree we me, which is fine. So, if you disagree with me, what and who do you class as realistic quality?

Keith_M
26-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Ok that's fine. But you didn't answer my question. I believe we are going down the route of quality over quantity, within the realistic boundaries we have. You and many others disagree we me, which is fine. So, if you disagree with me, what and who do you class as realistic quality?

I've updated my post, please have a read though it again.

Thanks

:thumbsup:

Golden Bear
26-08-2014, 11:07 AM
We're till "closing in" on this signing according to the midday news on Radio Scotland.

Lee Marvin
26-08-2014, 11:09 AM
I've updated my post, please have a read though it again.

Thanks

This is going to be my last effort at asking you why you think Leanne and Stubbs 'made a rod fir their owns backs' by saying quality over quantity, as you are not answering this. I realise you said he may do ok, but you clearly don't think we are adopting the policy they said and I'd like to know why and who we could sign that would satisfy this for you and many others?

CRAZYHIBBY
26-08-2014, 11:16 AM
Not coming according to my works pet yam

Keith_M
26-08-2014, 11:19 AM
This is going to be my last effort at asking you why you think Leanne and Stubbs 'made a rod fir their owns backs' by saying quality over quantity, as you are not answering this. I realise you said he may do ok, but you clearly don't think we are adopting the policy they said and I'd like to know why and who we could sign that would satisfy this for you and many others?

I'm sorry, I don't really understand what it is you want. My view, as I so clearly stated, is that I welcome the signings we've made so far.

:confused:

The other point on "quality over quantity" was a reply to SanFranHibs question about whether this is a signing that will have people buying Season tickets in droves and I said no. I don't see how you can argue with that. It's also no criticism of the guy that just signed, just a fact.

I also mentioned that some Fans (I at no point said that includes me) now have unrealistic expectations on the level of signings we should be making and quote the "quality over quantity" mantra to criticise the signings we make. If you read through the previous comments on this thread about our latest signing, you'll see that's the case.

---------------------

I've started to get the feeling that some people come on here looking for an argument and start one even where there's no actual disagreement. It would be nice if people started reading the whole point a poster is trying to make and also stopped reading things into it that aren't there.

MyJo
26-08-2014, 11:19 AM
deary me, the guy has spent 8 years at Bristol City and he is a "journeyman".

He has also spent the majority of his career playing in the championship and League 1 in England, David Gray spent the last few years playing in League 2 before we signed him and he's done more than alright.

Argylehibby
26-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Just asked a Bristol city supporter about him and this is his response.....

When we first signed him he was quality and had a good few seasons. Unfortunately, in our relegation season from the championship he had a mare and the fans got on his back. In the first half on last year he was loaned out to Yeovil and did OK.

We then got a new manager in who questioned why our club captain was on loan. We recalled ham and only played 1 more game for us.

He should do a good job for you.

SanFranHibs
26-08-2014, 11:35 AM
A Central defender who has played 300 odd games in his career, decent experience at a level on par with the SPL never mind Championship.

An improvement on what we have and seems a step in the right direction to developing a spine down the middle of the team.

Firstly, the number of games he has played in itself is not a recommendation. Quite a few of the players we have recently let go have a lot of games on their CV. Secondly, the spine down the middle might be contradicted by Bristol loaning him out because his confidence had gone and even the team he went to did not want him to return.

I did give Stubbs credit in my post for bringing in decent looking players, even if Kennedy is on loan and am hopeful Fontaine will play well at this level. Is playing in the Scottish Championship against Rangers, Hearts, Falkirk etc as high a quality as English League 1? (Some big names in that division). Probably not!

I was only questioning the signing in the context of the quality over quantity. It has been asked on this thread that we 'define quality', I will be honest and say I do not equate 'quality' to some one low on confidence and as suggested here who is lost and just needs guidance.

And I think Fontaine might very well be an improvement on what we had and that in itself would constitute a 'good' signing but after last year that should not be too difficult. It seems to me that signings such as these are only trying to get us to a level that most other teams have at least attained, possessed of solid if not exceptional, professional players who do their job week in week out.

I still think we are missing the vital ingredient that will lift us above most Scottish Championship teams. I just think we need more 'quality' in the attacking half. Probably not going to uncover a Latapy or an LG by next Monday evening but I still think we need more and I don't mean another short term loan from Everton.

I am not being negative or pessimistic....I just want quality ! :boo hoo:

Our defence has been, well let's say not great, but Griffiths apart, our goalscoring has been pitiful for quite some time.

Oh and I forgot to say, Welcome Liam !!! I just hope you are not always trying to preserve a 0-0 scoreline :wink:

Iain G
26-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Firstly, the number of games he has played in itself is not a recommendation. Quite a few of the players we have recently let go have a lot of games on their CV. Secondly, the spine down the middle might be contradicted by Bristol loaning him out because his confidence had gone and even the team he went to did not want him to return.

I did give Stubbs credit in my post for bringing in decent looking players, even if Kennedy is on loan and am hopeful Fontaine will play well at this level. Is playing in the Scottish Championship against Rangers, Hearts, Falkirk etc as high a quality as English League 1? (Some big names in that division). Probably not!

I was only questioning the signing in the context of the quality over quantity. It has been asked on this thread that we 'define quality', I will be honest and say I do not equate 'quality' to some one low on confidence and as suggested here who is lost and just needs guidance.

And I think Fontaine might very well be an improvement on what we had and that in itself would constitute a 'good' signing but after last year that should not be too difficult. It seems to me that signings such as these are only trying to get us to a level that most other teams have at least attained, possessed of solid if not exceptional, professional players who do their job week in week out.

I still think we are missing the vital ingredient that will lift us above most Scottish Championship teams. I just think we need more 'quality' in the attacking half. Probably not going to uncover a Latapy or an LG by next Monday evening but I still think we need more and I don't mean another short term loan from Everton.

Our defence has been, well let's say not great, but Griffiths apart, our goalscoring has been pitiful for quite some time.

Oh and I forgot to say, Welcome Liam !!! I just hope you are not always trying to preserve a 0-0 scoreline :wink:

I think he will improve the overall quality of the squad.

AinsterHibs
26-08-2014, 11:51 AM
Hmm... is this guy a cheese quaver or anything in this?

Inside The SPFL ‏@AgentScotland 7m

Liam Fontaine has agreed a two year contract with Hibernian, not signed yet, there is an "escape clause" that can be triggered in July 2015

Golden Bear
26-08-2014, 11:55 AM

Liam Fontaine has agreed a two year contract with Hibernian, not signed yet, there is an "escape clause" that can be triggered in July 2015

Is the "escape clause" designed to safeguard him or the Club?" That is the question.

:hmmm:

TowerHibs
26-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Rob Jones - Grimsby Town

Lee Marvin
26-08-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm sorry, I don't really understand what it is you want. My view, as I so clearly stated, is that I welcome the signings we've made so far.

:confused:

The other point on "quality over quantity" was a reply to SanFranHibs question about whether this is a signing that will have people buying Season tickets in droves and I said no. I don't see how you can argue with that. It's also no criticism of the guy that just signed, just a fact.

I also mentioned that some Fans (I at no point said that includes me) now have unrealistic expectations on the level of signings we should be making and quote the "quality over quantity" mantra to criticise the signings we make. If you read through the previous comments on this thread about our latest signing, you'll see that's the case.

---------------------

I've started to get the feeling that some people come on here looking for an argument and start one even where there's no actual disagreement. It would be nice if people started reading the whole point a poster is trying to make and also stopped reading things into it that aren't there.

After reading back through the thread it appears I made a mistake and picked you up incorrectly on one of your posts. It's my mistake made from frustration at the constant negativity towards the club on this board - which I now realise you were not part of. Apologies.

IanM
26-08-2014, 12:12 PM

It's a weird one. We were told that we're only getting players who want to play for Hibs. Unless he's only wanting to play with is until the summer this doesn't make sense

I see nothing wrong in the clause though, happens sometimes, just think it goes against the type of player we've been promised

From what I've heard though from a few BC mates, this guy will shine for is, especially in this league so looking forward to seeing him!

hibs0666
26-08-2014, 12:13 PM

I don't see how a player that spent 8 years at one club can be described as a journeyman.

Niffy
26-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Escape clause for non promotion.

CRAZYHIBBY
26-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Matty jack on a harley

Keith_M
26-08-2014, 12:35 PM
After reading back through the thread it appears I made a mistake and picked you up incorrectly on one of your posts. It's my mistake made from frustration at the constant negativity towards the club on this board - which I now realise you were not part of. Apologies.

Could I just say it's when I read comments like that, that my faith in humanity is restored.

Keith_M
26-08-2014, 12:36 PM
I don't see how a player that spent 8 years at one club can be described as a journeyman.

Don't blame me, SanFranHibs started it.

I just noticed that was my 10,000th post. I really need to get a life...............

Diclonius
26-08-2014, 12:39 PM
Escape clause for non promotion.

That would be my guess.

Smartie
26-08-2014, 12:45 PM

Confidence and quality are different things though. If he's been linked with Liverpool in the past you'd think he'd have enough quality about him for the Scottish Championship.

It makes me think of when we signed Jim Leighton. His confidence was so shot everyone thought the quality was gone. He just needed to join the right club, have a manager show a bit of faith in him and he did the rest.

I like the sound of the guy. A good age too in that if he got it together again we could see his best years.

ekhibee
26-08-2014, 12:46 PM
I've not seen him play, so it would be unfair of me to judge him in that respect, and obviously he'll get my full support when he's playing for us. It's difficult to draw too many conclusions from his time at Bristol City; they've swapped between League 1 and the Championship on a pretty regular basis. They conceded a lot of goals when they were relegated, and so did Yeovil, the team he was loaned out to, before they were relegated as well. From the Bristol City forum it sounds like he was a great player with a lot of potential at one time, but he's been crap for some time now, possibly down to a confidence issue. If, and it is quite a big if, he can regain the confidence that he seems to have lost he could be a big player for us, and I sincerely hope he does. The quality over quantity thing that seems to be popular on here is subjective; everybody seems to have their own definition of quality on this board. Right now, at least we've got another player in that will, at the very least, provide cover in one of the positions that we are weak.

Lucius Apuleius
26-08-2014, 12:48 PM
That would be my guess.

Cannae be. We are planning to stay here for at least two years!!!! :greengrin

brog
26-08-2014, 01:00 PM
*Spelt

a fellow pedant

Not true I'm afraid, language is a living thing & both spellings ( or speltings :greengrin) have been acceptable per the OCD for at least 30 years. You're spot on re the US origins but strangely Scotland is only place now where spelt is more regularly used. Along with "outwith" of course! :wink:

R11Loaded
26-08-2014, 01:37 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/26/0fcd9b21c830ea8226435e0940cf5c1d.jpg

J-C
26-08-2014, 01:38 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/4763

Now official :thumbsup::greengrin

Billy Whizz
26-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Welcome Liam

SteveHFC
26-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Cheers Cat for the info. :thumbsup:

Nevi_SOL
26-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Welcome to Hibs Liam, well done cat on the scoop

silverhibee
26-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Can he play tonight.?

Billy Whizz
26-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Can he play tonight.?

Report says waiting on international clearance

hibby67
26-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Welcome to Hibernian Liam ......:flag:

Onion
26-08-2014, 01:56 PM
Looks like a decent signing :aok:

scuttle
26-08-2014, 02:01 PM
How much did we pay for him ? ....two coins for a Fontaine

dangermouse
26-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Looks like a decent signing :aok:

Looks a bit like Tom Taiwo :greengrin

Purple & Green
26-08-2014, 02:08 PM
It's really a 9 month contract isn't it? Which is 75% of a 1 year contract, I suppose.

Peevemor
26-08-2014, 02:16 PM
It's really a 9 month contract isn't it? Which is 75% of a 1 year contract, I suppose.

Unless it's a one year contract like it says? :dunno:

Hibby Gav
26-08-2014, 02:22 PM
welcome Liam !

ggtth

erin go bragh
26-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Welcome LF . Captain for tonight , then hopefully for the rest of the season . Some players handle the captaincy , some dont . Liam Craig falls into the latter . I dont think its a coincidence that his form went downhill when he was made captain .

Ggtth

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Uh oh...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JWCeY7ymVcA#

CallumLaidlaw
26-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Uh oh...

I take nothing from youtube any more. You could make a player look like messi if you are selective enough, and also, you could make Thiago Silva look like Michael Nelson by selecting his errors over a number of years.

marinello59
26-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Uh oh...

Well done you. I guess welcome to Hibs is a bit hard for you to say.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Well done you. I guess welcome to Hibs is a bit hard for you to say.

It was meant as a joke, keep your hair on, jeez. I've already said welcome to Hibs. :aok:

Hannah_hfc
26-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Welcome to Hibs, Liam! Nearly keeled over when I saw the words 'Hibs' and 'new signing' on Facebook. Feels like we've been waiting ages for another

Gatecrasher
26-08-2014, 02:48 PM
I take nothing from youtube any more. You could make a player look like messi if you are selective enough, and also, you could make Thiago Silva look like Michael Nelson by selecting his errors over a number of years.
:agree:
Ed De Graaf comes to mind.

Keith_M
26-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Now that he's officially signed, I'd like to officially say Welcome

Franck Stanton
26-08-2014, 02:53 PM
Welcome to the Hibbies Liam, sure with Stubbs guidance you will regain your confidence and form that prompted Liverpool to offer £1mil for you. Lets face it, you wouldn't have to be a world beater to be an improvement on Nelson

frazeHFC
26-08-2014, 02:53 PM
Very pleased with this signing. :agree:

trev the hat
26-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Welcome Liam
GG

LeithBoozy
26-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Looks a bit like Tom Taiwo :greengrin

As soon as I saw his photo, I wondered who he reminded me of. He does look like Tom a bit. :agree:

sesoim
26-08-2014, 03:40 PM

Cheers TC

:agree: Sounds like a decent signing. A bit surprised it isn't longer considering the contract we have just handed to Handling. Personally, I would like another CB, so we can push Hanlon into midfield (where he would do better than Craig and Robertson in my opinion).

Obviously a forward and a creative midfielder/RW must be on their way by the end of the week. If we get them all in and the team can gel, we have a chance in the play-offs (and the Cups). Whoever we sign now though, they need to be able to add another 20+ goals to the team through scoring/creating.

sesoim
26-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Left sided centre back. If he signs is there more to Hanlons injury than we are being led to believe?

Every football team needs at the very least three CBs.

emerald green
26-08-2014, 03:46 PM
I would like to welcome Liam to HFC.

TheFamous1875
26-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Surely it's safe to say that Fontaine will be starting tonight? Hanlon's still out and the Admiral's just left the building...

Billy Whizz
26-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Stubbs saying he's fast, strong and a good footballer

Franck Stanton
26-08-2014, 04:01 PM
:agree: Sounds like a decent signing. A bit surprised it isn't longer considering the contract we have just handed to Handling. Personally, I would like another CB, so we can push Hanlon into midfield (where he would do better than Craig and Robertson in my opinion).

Obviously a forward and a creative midfielder/RW must be on their way by the end of the week. If we get them all in and the team can gel, we have a chance in the play-offs (and the Cups). Whoever we sign now though, they need to be able to add another 20+ goals to the team through scoring/creating.

Obviously ?

Ronniekirk
26-08-2014, 04:13 PM
It was meant as a joke, keep your hair on, jeez. I've already said welcome to Hibs. :aok:
Sometimes jokes backfire

MSK
26-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Stubbs saying he's fast, strong and a good footballerAnd what did he say about Fontaine ..?...:greengrin

HFC 0-7
26-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Just spoke with a Bristol City fan I work beside. He described him as being amazing when he is playing well makes defending look effortless and makes time for distribution. He then said he went through a couple of periods when he had howler after howler and that he reckons he has a confidence problem and struggles to forget mistakes he makes. He never tries to hide and always gives 100%.

I asked him if he would have been happy if he was a city player this season and he said no, he thinks his confidence is too shot at city or, he is past it or a bit of both. Apparently a team tried to sign him for a million a while back as well. Not sure which team though.

NadeAteMyLunch!
26-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Just spoke with a Bristol City fan I work beside. He described him as being amazing when he is playing well makes defending look effortless and makes time for distribution. He then said he went through a couple of periods when he had howler after howler and that he reckons he has a confidence problem and struggles to forget mistakes he makes. He never tries to hide and always gives 100%.

I asked him if he would have been happy if he was a city player this season and he said no, he thinks his confidence is too shot at city or, he is past it or a bit of both. Apparently a team tried to sign him for a million a while back as well. Not sure which team though.

Liverpool

rcarter1
26-08-2014, 05:34 PM
Welcome Liam, all the best for the season!

hibees 7062
26-08-2014, 05:38 PM
Stubbs saying he's fast, strong and a good footballer

Has he got a motorbike ?

http://www.makeanentrance.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/458x458/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/w/e/weclomemat.jpg (http://www.makeanentrance.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/w/e/weclomemat.jpg)

Keith_M
26-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Has he got a motorbike ?
http://www.makeanentrance.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/458x458/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/w/e/weclomemat.jpg (http://www.makeanentrance.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/w/e/weclomemat.jpg)

Still Game rules!

The Leith Dutch
26-08-2014, 05:59 PM

Ach that's no problem - he'll have the warm, fuzzy comfort blanket of our ever patient and understanding home crowds to keep his confidence up :greengrin

Spike Mandela
26-08-2014, 06:01 PM
What an overeaction to this player it's not like he's some legendary French striker or anything, it's just Fontaine.:cb

Keith_M
26-08-2014, 06:10 PM
What an overeaction to this player it's not like he's some legendary French striker or anything, it's just Fontaine.:cb

:offski:

crewetollhibee
26-08-2014, 06:13 PM

Brilliant

The Leith Dutch
26-08-2014, 06:33 PM

hibees 7062
26-08-2014, 06:39 PM
Still Game rules!

:aok:

yankyhibby
26-08-2014, 06:52 PM
The boy is getting slated in there!

Hope this proves that hibs fans are no different to any other set. The comments on this thread could have been lifted from Hibs.Net

yankyhibby
26-08-2014, 07:00 PM

Quality is certainly something we do not have in abundance. Let's hope that Alan Stubbs has made a shrewd signing who will prove to be....like we say..Quality!
I wish the guy well. He has evidently had a hard time in terms of performances and the negative feedback that this engenders among elements of the home support.
Many a player has left Hibs and gone on to rediscover good form, so fingers crossed for Liam Fontaine that he rediscovers his early Bristol City form.

yankyhibby
26-08-2014, 07:06 PM

I agree. I recall our legend, Frank Sauzee, in his last season as a player for us, being caught out for pace and struggling to impact in games as much as he initially did. Anyone recording such performances could have made him look awkward and that he had little to offer.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-08-2014, 10:13 PM
How did he do tonight?

bingo70
26-08-2014, 10:22 PM
How did he do tonight?

I thought he looked good.

Had a few rusty looking moments but I think that's to be expected considering he only joined today.

Peevemor
26-08-2014, 10:27 PM
I thought he looked good.

Had a few rusty looking moments but I think that's to be expected considering he only joined today.

His wife 'liked' the photo Hibs have just posted on Facebook. She doesn't look too shabby either.

SteveHFC
26-08-2014, 10:40 PM
His wife 'liked' the photo Hibs have just posted on Facebook. She doesn't look too shabby either.

http://i.imgur.com/JzSmg2z.gif