PDA

View Full Version : Pat McGinlay

Hibs History
25-08-2014, 01:32 PM
New player profile online at the Hibernian Historical Trust website

Featuring midfielder Pat McGinlay (http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/player-profiles/item/191-pat-mcginlay)

Link (http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/player-profiles/item/191-pat-mcginlay)

Please leave your memories of Pat below

GGTTH

lord bunberry
25-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Possibly the best scottish midfielder I've ever seen at hibs. If only we had a player like him now.

Stevie Reid
25-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Edwin de Graaf on a Lambretta.

In all seriousness, Pat was great in both spells. Over 100 career goals too.

KeithTheHibby
25-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Never seen his likes since at ER. A proper box to box midfielder who scored a ton of goals.

CRAZYHIBBY
25-08-2014, 01:51 PM
Loved pat...he was one of my favorite hibs players....should have got to the chance to end his career with hibs

scott7_0(Prague)
25-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Loved his Wife's shouts from the old center stand...... she was the original WAG with a mouth.

"Come on PATRICCCCCCCCCCCCCK"

cabbageandribs1875
25-08-2014, 01:57 PM
pat was a fantastic player in both spells for us, now he really WAS a box-to-box midfielder, terrific engine on him

geohibby
25-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Loved pat...he was one of my favorite hibs players....should have got to the chance to end his career with hibs
i remember him scoring against Celtic at parkhead, thonk
it was 2-2 and when he scored he went over to the Celtic end
and just stood and looked at them as if to say look at what
ypur missing, it was after they sold him back to us, was a classic

xyz23jc
25-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Quite simply, A Legend! Brilliant player for Hibs, wish we had his likes today.

southsider
25-08-2014, 02:04 PM
i remember him scoring against Celtic at parkhead, thonk
it was 2-2 and when he scored he went over to the Celtic end
and just stood and looked at them as if to say look at what
ypur missing, it was after they sold him back to us, was a classic
Back in my day we paid a half mill for players like Pat, would you believe ? Now we just get crap players who are free.:confused:

Suburban Hibby
25-08-2014, 02:19 PM
One of my favourite ever Hibs players, scored a bundle, took no ****** from anyone and loved The Cabbage!

johnbc70
25-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Was strange that Celtic sold him as I am sure he was their top goal scorer when we bought him back.

Mikey09
25-08-2014, 02:53 PM
I'm sure he filled in at centre half once and was MOTM.... Am I making that up??!

Off the bar
25-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Scored against Killie from just inside their half, great goal from a great player

Hamish
25-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Loved his Wife's shouts from the old center stand...... she was the original WAG with a mouth.

:greengrin

Remember her sitting behind us in the stand at Dunfermline, didn't know at the time who she was.

Hamish
25-08-2014, 03:23 PM

Got him from Blackpool on a free - this forum would have been on meltdown.

The Harp
25-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Pat was one of my favourites of that era at ER. Along wi' his missus (Margaret) he became a fully paid up member of the Hibs family. Although not always appreciated by some at the time (no accounting for taste then as well as now:rolleyes:).
Wish to God we had someone of his calibre right now, pretty sure we wouldn't be in the mess we're in if we did.

Bostonhibby
25-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Marvellous player, nae hiding from Pat, always wanted to be involved. Great for us both times. Christ we could do with his like now.

Nutmegged
25-08-2014, 03:26 PM
He was like a poor mans Frank Lampard in modern football speak, absolutely loved him in both his spells, very unlucky to be shown the door at Celtic too, finiahed his one and only full season with them as their top scorer with 12 goals, what I'd give ti have a player like him nowadays

Nutmegged
25-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Was strange that Celtic sold him as I am sure he was their top goal scorer when we bought him back.

Tommy Burns just didn't fancy him for some reason, they signed Phil O'Donnell and Pat was as good as gone

The Leith Dutch
25-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Scored against Killie from just inside their half, great goal from a great player

I remember that with great pleasure :)
Didn't Chic Charnely score either the game before or the game after from his own half?

Smartie
25-08-2014, 04:16 PM
He was like a poor mans Frank Lampard in modern football speak, absolutely loved him in both his spells, very unlucky to be shown the door at Celtic too, finiahed his one and only full season with them as their top scorer with 12 goals, what I'd give ti have a player like him nowadays

That's quite a good comparison because I've never seen a player in the flesh as good at arriving late in the box and finishing and it was a joy to behold. We haven't had many goalscoring midfielders and he was ablsolutely the best of these.

I remember him having a stormer at CH too and reckon he could probably have played all positions on the park and played well.

Smartie
25-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Oh, and on a slightly bizarre note, my brother reckoned he saw him sat in the studio audience for that late night programme during the Commonwealth games. Did anybody else spot him?

BroxburnHibee
25-08-2014, 04:26 PM
Got him from Blackpool on a free - this forum would have been on meltdown.

:greengrin

And if I remember rightly it took him a wee while to settle in.

Can you imagine what this place would be like :tee hee:

mentalhibee
25-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Loved his celebration at ibrox after he scored, had a wee cheeky look over his shoulder for the ref then kissed the Hibs badge in front of the Huns!

Aldo
25-08-2014, 04:28 PM
After the Livi game I spoke with Alex Miller for bout 20 mins and about Hibs in general. He said McGinley was the best bet of business he ever did.

On a free and when we bought him back from Smellic we made a profit.

What I'd give for a box to box player like Pat.

Gmack7
25-08-2014, 04:41 PM
brilliant player for us
he scored against liege/lierse in Belgium which would have put us through but was wrongly flagged offside if my hazy memory serves me right(anyone confirm?)

leggeto
25-08-2014, 05:12 PM
One of the best we've had,if only we have one like him now

CraigHibee
25-08-2014, 05:16 PM
pat was a quality player, always gave his all and was annoyed when we sold him to the tic, was delighted when we brought him back :aok:

Eyrie
25-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Probably my favourite player from that era for his sheer commitment to Hibs.

Think he managed a double against Huns RIP when playing centre half, but he was a goal threat from anywhere as borne out by finishing top scorer at Septic (despite being played on the right of midfield) and that goal against Kilmarnock.

erin go bragh
25-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Possibly the best scottish midfielder I've ever seen at hibs. If only we had a player like him now.

Best goal scoring midfielder ive seen play for us . John Collins is the best ive seen playing in midfield (classing Sauzee as a defender )

Ggtth

stoneyburn hibs
25-08-2014, 05:59 PM
As others have said, he was a cracking player for us. Remember being at ER for his halfway line goal.
What is he doing these days ? Is he involved in football ?

Pretty Boy
25-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Brilliant player, one of my favourites as a youngster.

Scottie
25-08-2014, 06:03 PM
100%er Gave everything for the team. Great player and engine

I wouldn'y pick a fight wi him either :casper:

Peevemor
25-08-2014, 06:08 PM
pat was a quality player, always gave his all and was annoyed when we sold him to the tic, was delighted when we brought him back :aok:

Hibs had no choice. He signed for Celtic under freedom of contract with the fee being decided by the transfer tribunal.

I'll never forget his last game for Hibs (which was at Tynie). He was inconsolable at FT.

superfurryhibby
25-08-2014, 06:10 PM
As others have said, he was a cracking player for us. Remember being at ER for his halfway line goal.
What is he doinvg these days ? Is he involved in football ?

Nae idea but I saw him in Morningside recently,lopking fit and well"

Gteat player, great attitude.

Jamesie
25-08-2014, 06:14 PM
After the Livi game I spoke with Alex Miller for bout 20 mins and about Hibs in general. He said McGinley was the best bet of business he ever did.

What was Lexo doing at the Livi game?

Aldo
25-08-2014, 06:20 PM
What was Lexo doing at the Livi game?

He's there every week by all accounts. He loves watching football.

Has been looking for a coaching/managers job but says he made enough money in the Far East to keep him and his family happy.

Billy Whizz
25-08-2014, 06:26 PM
He's there every week by all accounts. He loves watching football.

Has been looking for a coaching/managers job but says he made enough money in the Far East to keep him and his family happy.

He was at the Stirling Albion friendly as well

scott7_0(Prague)
25-08-2014, 07:30 PM
says he made enough money in the Far East to keep him and his family happy.

I doubt very much he said that!

But as am aware he is at Easter Road a lot, with Greg since he has returned to Edinburgh.

Col2
25-08-2014, 07:33 PM

But as am aware he is at Easter Road a lot, with Greg since he has returned to Edinburgh.

They were both sitting beside me at Falkirk SC Semi 2013.

Aldo
25-08-2014, 07:42 PM
I doubt very much he said that! But as am aware he is at Easter Road a lot, with Greg since he has returned to Edinburgh.

He did actually... Maybe not those exact words. Why would I lie about it or make it up??

He loves football

Thecat23
25-08-2014, 07:57 PM

He did say that. He walked from ER to the high street with Aldo and myself. Said when he went out there it set them up for life. But he still isn't happy as he wants to pass on what he knows to others. He wants involved and to help clubs out with the experience he has gained.

Thecat23
25-08-2014, 07:59 PM
He also watches Hearts as well and thinks they can win the league after I'd said I'd backed them at 7/2.

Thinks their squad as it stands is better and they had longer to set a plan in motion.

3pm
25-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Dedicated guy is Miller. I've seen him at the Pure gym at Lauriston a few times.

mca
25-08-2014, 08:08 PM
My Late Father always said back in the 80`s - " yon Pat puts in mair of a shift for 90 minutes - than the council boys dae all week.. " :greengrin

allezsauzee
25-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Hibs Legend.

truehibernian
25-08-2014, 09:38 PM
He also watches Hearts as well and thinks they can win the league after I'd said I'd backed them at 7/2.

Thinks their squad as it stands is better and they had longer to set a plan in motion.

Wonder if he is doing some scouting for us :wink:

Thecat23
25-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Wonder if he is doing some scouting for us :wink:

I asked if he's working at all for us in any capacity and he said no. But would love too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

truehibernian
25-08-2014, 09:43 PM
I asked if he's working at all for us in any capacity and he said no. But would love too.

I'd say he was being cagey TC.....I think him and Greg have been going to a few games recently.

For those doubting Alex saying the Far East set him up, it is very true - Greg was also his assistant across there. The team he managed had owners like Romanov too, in the sense they would take training and players would be on the pitch they had no knowledge of nor had they signed.......the owners had though :greengrin

Thecat23
25-08-2014, 09:49 PM
I'd say he was being cagey TC.....I think him and Greg have been going to a few games recently.

For those doubting Alex saying the Far East set him up, it is very true - Greg was also his assistant across there. The team he managed had owners like Romanov too, in the sense they would take training and players would be on the pitch they had no knowledge of nor had they signed.......the owners had though :greengrin

Yeah after being at Liverpool his stake was high. He's defo made for life. He said he spends hours watching games of football on tv. He records and watches taped games from all over he said.

Maybe he has thrown Hibs a few bones and wants to keep it on the down low.

Pretty Boy
25-08-2014, 10:19 PM

Miller is a hugely respected coach, not so hot as a manager right enough.

If he wanted to do a bit work for Hibs and the manager felt it was useful then it would be looking a gift horse in the mouth to turn it down imo.

Thecat23
25-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Miller is a hugely respected coach, not so hot as a manager right enough.

If he wanted to do a bit work for Hibs and the manager felt it was useful then it would be looking a gift horse in the mouth to turn it down imo.

I agree mate. If he wants to offer his advice surely for a young coach like Stubbs could learn from him?

Baader
26-08-2014, 01:38 AM
Back to Pat he is one of my all time favourites. What we'd give for a midfielder with a goals return like that nowadays...

One of his best games I remember was against Raith at Stark's Park in November 1998 having been relegated the previous season. McLeish was manager. Pat started out playing his usual position, got moved to left back and still managed to open the scoring with a second half header - from a move, not a corner - which paved the way for a hard fought 3-1 win. He was everywhere. 13 goals that season which was 1 in 3 - a fantastic return.

Great player for us - easily in my all time 11 of Hibs players I've seen.

Auckland Hibs
26-08-2014, 08:07 AM
Hibs had no choice. He signed for Celtic under freedom of contract with the fee being decided by the transfer tribunal.

I'll never forget his last game for Hibs (which was at Tynie). He was inconsolable at FT.

Great player - as stated before, we wouldn't be in our current position if he had a player like Pat now.

Heard from a relative many moons ago that he didn't fit into life at celtic park (although I'm sure he was their top scorer that season) - not sure on the specific details or reasons but his Mrs was apparently part of the issue that he ended up back at ER.

Stonewall
26-08-2014, 10:45 AM
Fabulous player. More effective in his first spell when he had Brian Hamilton alongside him in midfield imo.:worms:

E10 Rifle
26-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Fabulous player. More effective in his first spell when he had Brian Hamilton alongside him in midfield imo.:worms:

Agree totally. Great player and surprised he didn't at least get a sniff into some full Scotland squads.

Nutmegged
26-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Agree totally. Great player and surprised he didn't at least get a sniff into some full Scotland squads.

He was unlucky that it was a time when we had the likes of McAllister, Collins, McStay, McCall all in their prime years then around the later half of the mid 90s Lambert and Burley became big players for us