Nelly070
25-08-2014, 10:17 AM
As title says !

Billy Whizz
25-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Well done Danny and Hibs

SlickShoes
25-08-2014, 10:24 AM
Find it hard to get excited about a contract extension of an existing player when we are in desperate need of new players.

smurf
25-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Confused by this to be honest...

Mark79
25-08-2014, 10:29 AM
He isnt even a regular and has been on the fringes for what seems like a lifetime. Odd one.

lucky
25-08-2014, 10:29 AM
I hope he proves he worth this level of commitment by the club. Can't say I've seen him play well enough to get this length of contract.

Borderhibbie76
25-08-2014, 10:31 AM
I like Danny but bit surprised at this...would have given him an extra year but 4 years is bizarre for a guy who has never really been a 1st team regular!!

Gatecrasher
Well done Danny!

Callum_62
Stubbs must see something in him

remember Butcher raving about Danny when he 1st came in too

Cant say ive seen anything to get excited about so far

Billychaotic182
Can see him working well over the nxt four years and becoming a dean Sheils type player

SeanWilson
25-08-2014, 10:33 AM
I like Danny but bit surprised at this...would have given him an extra year but 4 years is bizarre for a guy who has never really been a 1st team regular!!

I too am a bit perplexed... however, i am no Alan Stubbs. Obviously Stubbs see's a player in him. G'luck Danny!

J-C
Pretty decent player who has shown early doors under Stubbs that there is a good player in there just needs to show it more regularly.

cabbageandribs1875
i'm absolutely astonished, 4 years ? i'l be delighted if he proves me wrong though

scott7_0(Prague)
25-08-2014, 10:34 AM
4 year deal... he might get to play in the top flight of Scottish football.... might!

Borderhibbie76
25-08-2014, 10:35 AM
I too am a bit perplexed... however, i am no Alan Stubbs. Obviously Stubbs see's a player in him. G'luck Danny!
Absolutely mate...I do trust Stubbs despite our poorish start, I think we have the right man so happy to trust his judgement on this one. Now its up to Danny to show he is worth this level of commitment from the club!

PeterboroHibee
25-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Im surprised at the length of the contract but Stubbs seems to rate him, so heres hoping he can deliver on the faith put in him. I do like that we are committing long term to the guys coming through the academy at the moment.

JimBHibees
25-08-2014, 10:38 AM

Got to agree he seems to have started the season well however surely a 4 year deal should be held back for promising kids who play well for the first team over a prolonged spell say 4 - 6 months or so.

Certainly a massive vote of confidence in Danny, up to him to show he is worth it.

SeanWilson
25-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Absolutely mate...I do trust Stubbs despite our poorish start, I think we have the right man so happy to trust his judgement on this one. Now its up to Danny to show he is worth this level of commitment from the club!

:agree: He has all the energy to be a cracking attacking midfielder, i just never really seen the ability. Clearly this is something he shows in training and needs nurtured on to the pitch. I am of the opinion that hibs will come good this season, we are a result away from a nice wee run of wins....... :duck: I hope :greengrin

Brightside
25-08-2014, 10:42 AM
So everyone was knocking one off about his performance against Rangers and a few games later he's gash. Hibs.net in full effect. He is a decent young player who will develop into an excellent footballer.

IanM
25-08-2014, 10:44 AM
I wonder what the fans reaction would have been if this was announced the day after the rangers cup game. Everyone raving about how well he played, 2 weeks later and I've just been reading some comments on social media about how gash this guy is and how he shouldn't even be given an extra year

CapitalGreen
25-08-2014, 10:45 AM
As I mentioned on the Alex Harris thread. At 20 years old, Riordan was a only fringe player and had scored 7 professional goals, Handling has scored 10. Some players take longer to establish themselves, especially the slighter, more technical players. If Stubbs reckons he is worth a contact extension, that's good enough for me.

SaulGoodman
So everyone was knocking one off about his performance against Rangers and a few games later he's gash. Hibs.net in full effect. He is a decent young player who will develop into an excellent footballer.

It's because we got beat on Saturday, so on the Hibs.net bi-polar scale we're currently at chronically depressed.

A win tomorrow night and we'll be back up to Utterly Euphoric, and we'll be the next Barca

Dirkster23

Who's saying he's gash? You're being a drama queen.

SlickShoes
25-08-2014, 10:51 AM

He's not gash but after having 1 pretty good performance, that's 1 in a long while, a 4 year deal may come as a bit of a shock to some people.

Borderhibbie76
25-08-2014, 10:51 AM
:agree: He has all the energy to be a cracking attacking midfielder, i just never really seen the ability. Clearly this is something he shows in training and needs nurtured on to the pitch. I am of the opinion that hibs will come good this season, we are a result away from a nice wee run of wins....... :duck: I hope :greengrin
Lets hope so bud. ..as this forum is bloody depressing right now :)

johnbc70
25-08-2014, 10:52 AM
As I mentioned on the Alex Harris thread. At 20 years old, Riordan was a only fringe player and had scored 7 professional goals, Handling has scored 10. Some players take longer to establish themselves, especially the slighter, more technical players. If Stubbs reckons he is worth a contact extension, that's good enough for me.

Good point, when you look at it like that then maybe the best is to come.

Brightside
25-08-2014, 10:54 AM
He's not gash but after having 1 pretty good performance, that's 1 in a long while, a 4 year deal may come as a bit of a shock to some people.

He's not put in many bad performances in the last 2 years. Shows great work rate. Closes down well. Holds the ball well. And can play in 4 different positions. I'd say he's exactly the type of player we need to be keeping a hold of.

3pm
25-08-2014, 10:56 AM

I think that's a fair point but he's done very well for himself to get a 4 year deal.

SlickShoes
He's not put in many bad performances in the last 2 years. Shows great work rate. Closes down well. Holds the ball well. And can play in 4 different positions. I'd say he's exactly the type of player we need to be keeping a hold of.

I dont think any players have put in many good performances in the last 2 years. I don't think any player at hibs in the last 2 years has done anything to deserve a 4 year deal. (excluding Leigh)

Keith_M
That's very good news. Glad to see him commiting to Hibs for the long haul.

:thumbsup:

bighairyfaeleith
25-08-2014, 10:57 AM
4 years may be very sensible, if he has a good season he will suddenly be worth some money and we will have him tied up long term on probably not too much money either. I reckon he will be good for us.

mutley
25-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Can see him working well over the nxt four years and becoming a dean Sheils type player

I agree with you, he may blossom into that typed of player, however we need players now, not in 4 yrs time

HibernianJK
25-08-2014, 11:02 AM

I understand where you are coming from. But from what we saw from Deeks at that age and what we have seen from Handling, to suggest that Danny has a chance of becoming anywhere as good as Riordan is a far cry IMO

erin-go-bragh87
25-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Great. Another average player milking the club for another 4 years. We really are completely Donald ducked.

SaulGoodman
25-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Great. Another average player milking the club for another 4 years. We really are completely Donald ducked.

This site cracks me up

Sir David Gray
25-08-2014, 11:07 AM
Strange one.

Not so much that he's been given a new contract but a new contract of four years is rather odd.

Peevemor
4 years for Stanton, 3 for Cummings and 4 for Handling.

Looks like there's intent to construct a settled squad, together with the chance of cashing in if one of them comes (consistently) good.

greenlex
Great. Another average player milking the club for another 4 years. We really are completely Donald ducked.:hilarious

bingo70
25-08-2014, 11:09 AM
Can't say I'm pleased with this, dint think he's ever looked that good Tbh, obviously had the odd moment like against the rangers and that semi against falkirk but the good games are few and far between.

We've made a big deal about quality over quantity, that doesn't fit the bill here imo.

H18Y GW
25-08-2014, 11:10 AM

Much like Ross Caldwell is..

Brightside
25-08-2014, 11:11 AM
Think I'll give the main board a miss for a while. Full of total trumpets that wouldn't know a player in a million years.

Keith_M
25-08-2014, 11:11 AM
I understand where you are coming from. But from what we saw from Deeks at that age and what we have seen from Handling, to suggest that Danny has a chance of becoming anywhere as good as Riordan is a far cry IMO

TBF, Riordan was a once in a generation* type of player. That lad had (has?) sublime skills and was a joy to watch when he was on his game. Handling might not be at that level but he's still worth hanging on to.

As for the four year contract, it does seem quite long but it could be considered evidence of a commitment in youth by the management
:dunno:

* I'm not counting Griffiths in this, just players that came through the ranks at ER.

Up The Bracket
25-08-2014, 11:12 AM

Unless you're including a loan spell, Handling has only scored 1 league goal, 3 including goals in the cup.

bingo70
25-08-2014, 11:12 AM
:hilarious

Easy to laugh at the post but imo he's right.

We've rewarded a young player here for being completely bang average.

Is this the standard we're looking for? I hope not.

Handling may come good abd prove me wrong but surely 1 or 2 years would give him the opportunity to do that.

3pm
25-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Think I'll give the main board a miss for a while. Full of total trumpets that wouldn't know a player in a million years.

Underscore, you must understand why folk are a bit surprised at a four year deal?

H18Y GW
25-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Can't say I'm pleased with this, dint think he's ever looked that good Tbh, obviously had the odd moment like against the rangers and that semi against falkirk but the good games are few and far between.

We've made a big deal about quality over quantity, that doesn't fit the bill here imo.

Your right if there isn't going to be better quality than Handling about for the next four years , I'm going to be sick of the sight of Alloa , Livi etc

The Leith Dutch
25-08-2014, 11:15 AM
While on the face of it it looks like a lengthy deal he's had a good start to the season.

Suspended for Livingston and got a couple of minutes in the Falkirk game.

Was good at Ibrokes and scored a goal before a harsh sending off.
Not great at the Pink Bus shed but did win a penalty running on to El Alagui's flick.

Given how poor we've been I reckon a goal and winning a penalty against our two rivals represents a good return.

Single biggest thing he needs to do for me is get a wee bit stronger - he's never going to be a physical player but he's a bit too easy to knock off the ball right now.

H18Y GW
25-08-2014, 11:16 AM

👋

What you really mean is no one has agreed with me and your all wrong and I'm spitting the Dummy

SMAXXA
25-08-2014, 11:17 AM
I think from what I've seen so far he's a poor mans Wotherspoon and look where that went. Very surprised at this, well if Stubbs thinks it's right the we have to stick by him and buy into this as much as anything else.

well done handling for getting such a lengthy contract.

greenlex
25-08-2014, 11:18 AM
Easy to laugh at the post but imo he's right.

We've rewarded a young player here for being completely bang average.

Is this the standard we're looking for? I hope not.

Handling may come good abd prove me wrong but surely 1 or 2 years would give him the opportunity to do that.Milking the club? What sort of wages will he be commanding? There's a player in there. I reckon Stubbs will get him out. If he does the investment in Handling will be paid back and then some. If he doesn't I reckon we have a squad player for relative peanuts. I think the last year or so can be wiped clean. Fenlon and Butchers style will have done football players no favours whatsoever so being bang average when the ball is above your head should be viewed a wee bit different. I would give Handling a jersey before Harris at the moment.

HibernianJK
25-08-2014, 11:23 AM
TBF, Riordan was a once in a generation* type of player. That lad had (has?) sublime skills and was a joy to watch when he was on his game. Handling might not be at that level but he's still worth hanging on to.

As for the four year contract, it does seem quite long but it could be considered evidence of a commitment in youth by the management
:dunno:

* I'm not counting Griffiths in this, just players that came through the ranks at ER.

I suppose you are right if we get a player with half the natural ability as Riordan we have done well. I just done believe what he has done at Hibs merits a 4 year contract. Of course I hope I am proved wrong but I cant see it at the moment.

Brightside
25-08-2014, 11:27 AM

What you really mean is no one has agreed with me and your all wrong and I'm spitting the Dummy

Nah - just sick of the negativity on here. A decent lad, good player. Recent scotland u21. Rated highly by everyone in the game and the majority of this message board qn giving him a 4yr deal on sweetie money. All these players highly rated by proper coaches and managers (Stanton, Harris, Handling, Cummings) Yet our in house experts slate them at every single opportunity. If i was a young player i wouldnt want to be anywhere near Hibs right now.

scoopyboy
25-08-2014, 11:29 AM

True, but you probably should have mentioned he scored seven of them for Berwick Rangers.

I must confess I'm surprised he has got as long as four years but he has obviously impressed the right people.

I hope he makes a go of it.

Smartie
25-08-2014, 11:30 AM
"Promising youngster who is potentially a very good player and has had a decent start to the season commits his future to the club after being rewarded for his progress with a new contract from his promising young manager who knows a thing or 2 about good young players based on his experience at his previous club".

Nah, not around here. Clearly he's pish.

With friends like these who needs enemies.

greenlex
25-08-2014, 11:30 AM
In the games I have seen this pre season and to date Handling has been very good. He's been like a new player to be honest. I wasn't at Berwick but there was praise for his performance. He was good against Stirling and excellent against Dundee Utd. Very good against Rangers and also very good against Livingston. Decent enough in the Derby where we were playing the world champions. Stubbs sees him in training every day so with all that in mind Ill give the laddie and Stubbs the benefit of any doubt I may have. 4 years could work well for the club whether he moves on during that spell or not.

scoopyboy
25-08-2014, 11:31 AM
4 years for Stanton, 3 for Cummings and 4 for Handling.

Looks like there's intent to construct a settled squad, together with the chance of cashing in if one of them comes (consistently) good.

I agree with the principle, downside however if they turn out to be duds then we are stuck with them for the duration of their contracts which might stop others being offered contracts.

Ronniekirk
25-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Pretty decent player who has shown early doors under Stubbs that there is a good player in there just needs to show it more regularly.

That's the key for me needs to show he can produce more consistently Surprised at length of contract though but clearly Stubbs has given him a massive vote of confidence which makes me wonder why didn't he bring him on earlier against Falkirk .

bingo70
25-08-2014, 11:48 AM
Milking the club? What sort of wages will he be commanding? There's a player in there. I reckon Stubbs will get him out. If he does the investment in Handling will be paid back and then some. If he doesn't I reckon we have a squad player for relative peanuts. I think the last year or so can be wiped clean. Fenlon and Butchers style will have done football players no favours whatsoever so being bang average when the ball is above your head should be viewed a wee bit different. I would give Handling a jersey before Harris at the moment.

Whether it's a pound a week or a grand a week it's still a wage going out the club to a poor player unless there's a considerable improvement.

I don't disagree with you regarding the fact he might come good in the end and he does deserve a fresh start, but 4 years to prove that is far too long.

Stevie Reid
25-08-2014, 11:51 AM
In the games I have seen this pre season and to date Handling has been very good. He's been like a new player to be honest. I wasn't at Berwick but there was praise for his performance. He was good against Stirling and excellent against Dundee Utd. Very good against Rangers and also very good against Livingston. Decent enough in the Derby where we were playing the world champions. Stubbs sees him in training every day so with all that in mind Ill give the laddie and Stubbs the benefit of any doubt I may have. 4 years could work well for the club whether he moves on during that spell or not.

I have liked what I have seen from Danny this season - but he was suspended for the Livi game.

bingo70
25-08-2014, 11:53 AM
"Promising youngster who is potentially a very good player and has had a decent start to the season commits his future to the club after being rewarded for his progress with a new contract from his promising young manager who knows a thing or 2 about good young players based on his experience at his previous club".

Nah, not around here. Clearly he's pish.

With friends like these who needs enemies.

He's played 2 games is it? One good, one not very good.

Think it's a bit early to say he's had a decent start to the season and I don't think there's anything wrong with questioning a 4 year deal for a player that up to now has quite frankly looked pretty pish.

Brightside
25-08-2014, 11:58 AM
He's played 2 games is it? One good, one not very good.

Think it's a bit early to say he's had a decent start to the season and I don't think there's anything wrong with questioning a 4 year deal for a player that up to now has quite frankly looked pretty pish.

Im sure people are fishing again... but I'll bite. Do you think he was poor against Hearts? The penalty came from his run and he worked his socks off in the role given to him by the coach. I dont know what we expect from our players tbh. We are Hibs in the 2nd teir of Scottish football and some of our fans seems to think we should have Messi playing for us. Again he was good enoguh to be picked for the Scotland u21 team this year. Now do those coaches also know nowt about football?

bingo70
25-08-2014, 12:05 PM
Im sure people are fishing again... but I'll bite. Do you think he was poor against Hearts? The penalty came from his run and he worked his socks off in the role given to him by the coach. I dont know what we expect from our players tbh. We are Hibs in the 2nd teir of Scottish football and some of our fans seems to think we should have Messi playing for us. Again he was good enoguh to be picked for the Scotland u21 team this year. Now do those coaches also know nowt about football?

Yes I thought he was poor against hearts and was fortunate to win that penalty. Other than that he was anonymous, I don't care if he works hard, so would I.

We're in the 1st division this year but I hope we're not here for four years, it's the length of the deal and the timing of it that's baffling.

There was an under 21 squad announced today and don't think he's in it, despite this decent start you think he's had, does that not mean that maybe these coaches you talk about don't actually agree with you or do they not know anything either?

Brightside
25-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Yes I thought he was poor against hearts and was fortunate to win that penalty. Other than that he was anonymous, I don't care if he works hard, so would I.

We're in the 1st division this year but I hope we're not here for four years, it's the length of the deal and the timing of it that's baffling.

There was an under 21 squad announced today and don't think he's in it, despite this decent start you think he's had, does that not mean that maybe these coaches you talk about don't actually agree with you or do they not know anything either?

He was in the last squad Bingo in may (and played against Hungary). He's decent player and its good that we are getting these young lads on decent long term deals. It's time to rebuild the club not just hand out 1 yr deals all over the place.

MWHIBBIES
25-08-2014, 12:10 PM
The negativity within out support is embarrassing. Don't even see why any of our players try doing anything right, all that is ever focused on is what they do wrong.

Pretty Boy
25-08-2014, 12:10 PM
He's shown flashes of what he could he in the early parts of this season, time to kick on and prove he's worth this deal.

SteveHFC
25-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Handling has done well this season but a 4 year deal? :faf:

greenlex
25-08-2014, 12:14 PM
I have liked what I have seen from Danny this season - but he was suspended for the Livi game. So he was. I am actually thinking about the Dundee Utd game . There were newbies around me genuinely asking each other who the player was with the orange boots as his performance was that good. Like I said its like having a new player.:greengrin That strengthens my point as he performed against one of the SPL better teams and not a Championship side. :wink:

bingo70
He was in the last squad Bingo in may (and played against Hungary). He's decent player and its good that we are getting these young lads on decent long term deals. It's time to rebuild the club not just hand out 1 yr deals all over the place.

We're not going to agree on this one, I hope you end up being right but there'll need to be a big improvement from him, hopefully this will be the confidence boost he needs.

Smartie

He was good pre-season. Rangers and Hearts away are going to be our toughest fixtures this season, he was excellent vs Rangers, fair enough he was a bit average against Hearts but still made a very meaningful contribution winning us the penalty. I'd say that's a decent start, not blistering, amazing, honking or average but decent.

More importantly it's an improvement and the contract has been awarded by someone who imo knows about young players having worked with some very good ones at Everton and whose early transfer dealings at Hibs suggest he can spot a player.

I'm happy enough with this news. Not gutted, raging, delighted but happy enough. I'm more than happy to give people like Handling and Stubbs the benefit of the doubt on matters such as this. Fair enough if you want to question it, and to be fair to you you have done so in a reasonable manner. I just think it's the least of our worries right now and folk getting worked up about it and being overly negative about it are just looking for reasons to get at the club right now.

lord bunberry
25-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Handling has done well this season but a 4 year deal? :faf:

That's what I was thinking, he was brilliant against The Rangers but a 4 year deal is a huge risk. I really like him and am glad he's signed a new deal, but I would have thought a 2 year deal would have been more appropriate. He's signed now so let's hope he shows us what he capable off.

Stevie Reid
25-08-2014, 12:19 PM
So he was. I am actually thinking about the Dundee Utd game . There were newbies around me genuinely asking each other who the player was with the orange boots as his performance was that good. Like I said its like having a new player.:greengrin That strengthens my point as he performed against one of the SPL better teams and not a Championship side. :wink:

I have faith in Stubbs decision to award a long contract.

greenlex
25-08-2014, 12:20 PM

There was an under 21 squad announced today and don't think he's in it, despite this decent start you think he's had, does that not mean that maybe these coaches you talk about don't actually agree with you or do they not know anything either? Were all Hibs players not left out the last squad as they were thinking they would have enough on their plate dealing with the fallout of they way relegation happened rather than concentrating on u21 internationals? (Maybe I made that up but sure I read that somewhere :greengrin)Maybe they feel that is still the case after the start we've made as there are no Hibs players in it at all.

Brightside
25-08-2014, 12:24 PM
That's what I was thinking, he was brilliant against The Rangers but a 4 year deal is a huge risk. I really like him and am glad he's signed a new deal, but I would have thought a 2 year deal would have been more appropriate. He's signed now so let's hope he shows us what he capable off.

it would be a risk if he was given a 2k a week 4yr deal....but thats not happening.

bingo70
25-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Were all Hibs players not left out the last squad as they were thinking they would have enough on their plate dealing with the fallout of they way relegation happened rather than concentrating on u21 internationals? (Maybe I made that up but sure I read that somewhere :greengrin)Maybe they feel that is still the case after the start we've made as there are no Hibs players in it at all.

Maybe

(Or maybe the players just aren't that good and none of them warrant being called up?)

lord bunberry
25-08-2014, 12:29 PM
it would be a risk if he was given a 2k a week 4yr deal....but thats not happening.

It's not the amount of money that's the risk it's the fact that him having been given a 4 year deal will on current form mean he will have about 4 different managers by the time his deal finishes.

greenlex
25-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Maybe

(Or maybe the players just aren't that good and none of them warrant being called up?) Very possible.

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2014, 12:42 PM

I would, i have your prediction for league winners safely stored. Best you keep your head down for a while matey. :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
25-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Think I'll give the main board a miss for a while. Full of total trumpets that wouldn't know a player in a million years.Pretty much.

Matt92
25-08-2014, 01:05 PM
Everton Head Youth Coach for 6 years and interviewed for the full Everton management position...if Stubbs can see a player in Handling as a young prospect then I am right behind this decision- have faith in our new gaffer!!!

smurf
25-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Folk appear to confuse negativity with honesty.

Handling impressed me at Ibrox. However, more times than not including Tynecastle I've not seen much to merit a starting position let alone a four year deal. Therefore I'm astounded by the length given.

KeithTheHibby
25-08-2014, 01:45 PM
The lad has talent and works very hard when in the team. I just don't know what his best position is? I am not convinced he is an out and out striker, nor capable of playing in the hole behind the main striker. He didn't strike me as a right midfielder either.

It is a long deal in comparison to what is offered these days, I really hope he justifies it.

Franck Stanton
25-08-2014, 01:48 PM
He was good pre-season. Rangers and Hearts away are going to be our toughest fixtures this season, he was excellent vs Rangers, fair enough he was a bit average against Hearts but still made a very meaningful contribution winning us the penalty. I'd say that's a decent start, not blistering, amazing, honking or average but decent.

More importantly it's an improvement and the contract has been awarded by someone who imo knows about young players having worked with some very good ones at Everton and whose early transfer dealings at Hibs suggest he can spot a player.

I'm happy enough with this news. Not gutted, raging, delighted but happy enough. I'm more than happy to give people like Handling and Stubbs the benefit of the doubt on matters such as this. Fair enough if you want to question it, and to be fair to you you have done so in a reasonable manner. I just think it's the least of our worries right now and folk getting worked up about it and being overly negative about it are just looking for reasons to get at the club right now.

Good post mate.

H18Y GW
25-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Were all Hibs players not left out the last squad as they were thinking they would have enough on their plate dealing with the fallout of they way relegation happened rather than concentrating on u21 internationals? (Maybe I made that up but sure I read that somewhere :greengrin)Maybe they feel that is still the case after the start we've made as there are no Hibs players in it at all.

Or you play 4 games for Celtic (2 guys not 1) and get in the full squad lol

Not sure playing for Scotland is an ability thing tbf

H18Y GW
25-08-2014, 02:00 PM

Handling impressed me at Ibrox. However, more times than not including Tynecastle I've not seen much to merit a starting position let alone a four year deal. Therefore I'm astounded by the length given.

My thoughts also, if they are taking plaudits the other side must follow ..
Would Handling, Stanton ,Harris or Cummings get in the G unt team at present , I'd guess not .

flash
25-08-2014, 02:01 PM
We're not going to agree on this one, I hope you end up being right but there'll need to be a big improvement from him, hopefully this will be the confidence boost he needs.

Magnificent irony saying you hope he gets a confidence boost in the middle of a thread basically ripping him up.

jdships
25-08-2014, 02:05 PM
BIG GRIN

Given the amazing knowledge displayed by a large number of posters on this thread re a players ability et al next time we need a manager there should be no shortage of candidates right in our backyard !!!!!!!!!!!
:greengrin:wink::aok:

Beefster
25-08-2014, 02:07 PM

That's where I am.

erin-go-bragh87
25-08-2014, 02:11 PM
This site cracks me up

Why? Do you think im wrong that a 4 year deal for a completely average player is not the direction we want Hibs to be moving in. 4 years is a huge contract regardless of how much we are paying him. I'm not saying he's terrible but it's just another in a long line of average players. I see this as a statement from Hibs saying this is what we have and that's what we are getting. If you disagree maybe voice your opinion rather than leaving a snidy reply to my post. If really like to hear what you think Danny has done to warrant a 4 year deal???

MSK
25-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Why? Do you think im wrong that a 4 year deal for a completely average player is not the direction we want Hibs to be moving in. 4 years is a huge contract regardless of how much we are paying him. I'm not saying he's terrible but it's just another in a long line of average players. I see this as a statement from Hibs saying this is what we have and that's what we are getting. If you disagree maybe voice your opinion rather than leaving a snidy reply to my post. If really like to hear what you think Danny has done to warrant a 4 year deal???Stubbs has obviously saw a player there for him to offer him such a deal ..but hey ..what would Stubbs know eh ..?

erin-go-bragh87
25-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Stubbs has obviously saw a player there for him to offer him such a deal ..but hey ..what would Stubbs know eh ..?

I didn't ask for Alan Stubbs opinion though. I want to know the poster I directed my comment at's opinion and why he found my post so laughable. If ANYONE thinks this is the sort of player that will take us back up you are kidding yourself. Look who clubs around us have signed compared to Danny. They are a improving and we are being forced to put up with more of the same.

MSK
25-08-2014, 02:30 PM
I didn't ask for Alan Stubbs opinion though. I want to know the poster I directed my comment at's opinion and why he found my post so laughable. If ANYONE thinks this is the sort of player that will take us back up you are kidding yourself. Look who clubs around us have signed compared to Danny. They are a improving and we are being forced to put up with more of the same.I never said he was the sort of player to take us up ..but I trust Stubbs judgement, early days but he has a good bit of experience in working with youth players at a big club like Everton so I trust he will try to get the best out of Handling ..

Nevi_SOL
25-08-2014, 02:56 PM
I didn't ask for Alan Stubbs opinion though. I want to know the poster I directed my comment at's opinion and why he found my post so laughable. If ANYONE thinks this is the sort of player that will take us back up you are kidding yourself. Look who clubs around us have signed compared to Danny. They are a improving and we are being forced to put up with more of the same.

I disagree with you there mate. Danny has good potential and he isn't a signing, I am a fan of dannys but I am a bit shocked with the length of contract, I think he will be a great player this season.

erin-go-bragh87
25-08-2014, 03:23 PM
I disagree with you there mate. Danny has good potential and he isn't a signing, I am a fan of dannys but I am a bit shocked with the length of contract, I think he will be a great player this season.

I hope your right mate. All I'm saying is 4 years is a huge deal for a player who's had maybe 2 good games at most!

cmcd
25-08-2014, 03:40 PM
No you did not ask for AS opinion Why ask a poster Surely its AS opinion that counts and not a keyboard manager I have said on other threads we have to leave the manager to get on with the improvements he is making to the team AS sees DH in training every day so if he is happy to give him a 4year deal then so am i

Gala Foxes
25-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Must admit I can't get excited about this news, haven't yet seen anything special in Handling, looks a pretty average player, hopefully he will continue to develop + mature as it is early days and he is young to be fair/balanced

sesoim
25-08-2014, 04:16 PM
As title says !

:confused: I am shocked by this. Handling has done next to nothing and hasn't really improved in the two years he has been in and out of the team. I don't even know what his role is meant to be - he barely score or creates anything.

sesoim
25-08-2014, 04:19 PM

Erm , I don't know where you got those stats from, but he has scored one league goal, one Scottish Cup goal and one against Rangers in that other Cup recently. Two of them were unmissable.

sesoim
25-08-2014, 04:31 PM

What, and you're an expert are you? If people don't rate someone who has barely done a thing in 30+ appearances, surely that is their right? What did you think of him up at Ross County last season when we desperately needed a lift and apart from a couple of lazy flicks that didn't come off he did NOTHING.

We are in the Championship now so to justify a long term contract like this he is going to have to start producing regularly from now on.

steviehibsleith
25-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Im happy with Handling signing a new deal with Hibs but I am not sure why a four year deal. Apart from good for the players stability for the next four years it doesn't have any impact on what Hibs will get if he leaves early.

sesoim
25-08-2014, 04:35 PM
Stubbs has obviously saw a player there for him to offer him such a deal ..but hey ..what would Stubbs know eh ..?

The jury's still out on that one. He hasn't been a successful manager anywhere yet, has he?

Smartie
25-08-2014, 04:45 PM
The jury's still out on that one. He hasn't been a successful manager anywhere yet, has he?

Not as a manager yet, but I'd imagine that from his role at Everton and having seen players like Barkley, Coleman, Rooney and Stones come through that he'd have a fair idea of the attributes that a player should have at Danny's age if he was going to make it.

MWHIBBIES
25-08-2014, 04:46 PM
The jury's still out on that one. He hasn't been a successful manager anywhere yet, has he?Nope, still knows more than any of us though.

My_Wife_Camille
25-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Erm , I don't know where you got those stats from, but he has scored one league goal, one Scottish Cup goal and one against Rangers in that other Cup recently. Two of them were unmissable.
Must be from the same place I got them from because I also count 10

ps I also think that James Collins proved last season that no chances, no matter how easy, are unmissable

CapitalGreen
25-08-2014, 05:09 PM

Both Riordan and Handlings totals include goals whilst on loan.

He also had to put himself in the right positions to make them unmissable.

Eyrie
25-08-2014, 05:26 PM
No problem with Handling getting a new deal for a couple of years, but he hasn't shown enough on a regular basis to justify a four year deal. The pressure is now on him to do just that.

MSK
25-08-2014, 05:32 PM
The jury's still out on that one. He hasn't been a successful manager anywhere yet, has he?I didn't say he had...he has a good bit of experience working for an English premiership club with young players so I will trust him on that basis .. whether the deal is good or bad remains to be seen..

jax67
25-08-2014, 05:36 PM
As title says !

Well done Hibs!! One of the best young players in Scotland.

Smartie
25-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Going a wee bit off-topic but did Whittaker not make his debut quite a while before he made his real breakthrough? I seem to remember him playing at Fir Park when he was about 17/18 and thinking he was very average. He seemed to only appear very sporadically for a while before settling in at fullback and going on to become a very good player under Mowbray.

The last few years can't have been great for the young lads with so many players and managers coming and going and some managers allegedly having less than impressive people skills.

Hopefully Danny is responding to an improved managerial style and will go on to achieve what some of our other youngsters have.

erin-go-bragh87
25-08-2014, 06:04 PM
No you did not ask for AS opinion Why ask a poster Surely its AS opinion that counts and not a keyboard manager I have said on other threads we have to leave the manager to get on with the improvements he is making to the team AS sees DH in training every day so if he is happy to give him a 4year deal then so am i

If you read it right you'd see I asked for his opinion as he obviously finds mine ridiculous. This would be a really bad forum if everyone just made a snidy comment rather than putting their point across though? Surely that's a fair thing to ask when someone belittles your post with a one liner??

Jonnyboy
25-08-2014, 06:06 PM

Don't know why, K.

From the fishy site

Danny said “I’m really excited about the future here at Hibs and being part of helping the club to climb back into the Scottish Premiership.

“I’ve enjoyed every minute of working with the new Head Coach – he has shown faith in me and hopefully I’ve repaid that with some decent performances.

“I want to continue to build on that and I believe he (Alan Stubbs) will develop me into becoming a better player.”

Head Coach Alan Stubbs welcomed the news and says Handling is a key part of his plans at Hibernian.

Stubbs said: “We’re really pleased that Danny has agreed a new deal – he is an important member of the squad.

“We believe his best years are ahead of him and we look forward to seeing him continue his development at Hibernian.”

Maybe with proper coaching he'll become a stalwart?

B.H.F.C
25-08-2014, 06:18 PM
I don't think he's done anywhere near enough to warrant that kind of deal. Hope he proves me wrong though.

He now needs to start delivering. We've got to see a decent goal return. The type of return that'll make a difference to our season.

Spike Mandela
25-08-2014, 06:20 PM
This has the feel of when Sauzee became manager at Hibs and gave Tam McManus a five year deal. I think Handling's agent has played a blinder just like McManus's must have.

It may be a sign of Stubbs' inexperience as a manager but no way has Handling been exceptional enough to get a four year deal.

J-C
25-08-2014, 06:31 PM
This has the feel of when Sauzee became manager at Hibs and gave Tam McManus a five year deal. I think Handling's agent has played a blinder just like McManus's must have.

It may be a sign of Stubbs' inexperience as a manager but no way has Handling been exceptional enough to get a four year deal.

Pretty sure Dempster will be doing all the negotiating, Stubbs will have just recommended he signed a longer term deal.

Billy Whizz
25-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Pretty sure Dempster will be doing all the negotiating, Stubbs will have just recommended he signed a longer term deal.

Exactly, and I bet its not a straight 4 year deal either. Probably a 2 year deal with options for both parties dependent on appearances etc, to trigger year 3 and 4.
I like Handling, there's a player in there. I believe Stubbs can get the very best out of him. My only question is where is his best position?

jdships
25-08-2014, 07:19 PM
Exactly, and I bet its not a straight 4 year deal either. Probably a 2 year deal with options for both parties dependent on appearances etc, to trigger year 3 and 4.
I like Handling, there's a player in there. I believe Stubbs can get the very best out of him. My only question is where is his best position?

:agree:
" Probably a 2 year deal with options for both parties dependent on appearances etc, to trigger year 3 and 4."

That's exactly what I heard about 30 minutes ago from an old Hibs player , makes sense surely !!

bawheid
25-08-2014, 07:32 PM
a 4 year deal for a player that up to now has quite frankly looked pretty pish.

Aye, nice one.

bingo70
25-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Aye, nice one.

I've made quite a few posts on this thread and I've stated I'm not against the idea of him getting a new deal, I just think the length and timing of it is crazy.

I think to pick up one sentence from my posts is a bit unfair.

I'll live like so dinnae worry about it, just wanted to point out I wasn't being as much of a **** about him as you've made it look like.

bawheid
25-08-2014, 07:42 PM
I've made quite a few posts on this thread and I've stated I'm not against the idea of him getting a new deal, I just think the length and timing of it is crazy.

I think to pick up one sentence from my posts is a bit unfair.

I'll live like so dinnae worry about it, just wanted to point out I wasn't being as much of a **** about him as you've made it look like.

Your posts are so so negative. Why not just give the boy a chance?

DH1875
25-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Unbelievable Jeff :shocked::shocked::shocked:

bingo70
25-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Your posts are so so negative. Why not just give the boy a chance?

I'm not the manager so it's not about me giving him a chance. Thus is a message board to express opinion and that's what I've done.

I don't boo him or shout abuse at games but questioning somebody being given a 4 year deal when they've not impressed in the first team is reasonable I'd have thought.

That's twice now I've been given **** about being negative and it's nonsense, I'm normally pretty positive.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Take the emotion out the equation.
AS has come in and made a (relatively) objective call and will take the consequences either way.
We should be backing our youth rather than journeymen maybe this is a form of speculation?

bawheid
25-08-2014, 07:56 PM
That's twice now I've been given **** about being negative and it's nonsense, I'm normally pretty positive.

Fair enough. I've not seen it recently.

bingo70
25-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Fair enough. I've not seen it recently.

Have a peek in the Stubbs post match interview thread from Saturday, I was in the minority of people praising how we played and that I think it'll come good under Stubbs as we're doing the right things and playing the right way.

You're probably right in terms of criticising individuals though, there's not many I rate in the current squad tbh so there's probably a fair chance you've seen me moaning about a few of them.

Jonnyboy
25-08-2014, 09:00 PM
If people would think back to the lengthy deals given to Fletcher, Brown, Thomson etc it was insurance that if the player was being sought by another club, Hibs would get a good return for their investment in developing him. Now I know that Danny splits opinion (no surprise as just about every one of our players does) but the coaching staff must see something in the laddie, otherwise LD would not have sanctioned such a long contract

truehibernian
25-08-2014, 09:28 PM
If people would think back to the lengthy deals given to Fletcher, Brown, Thomson etc it was insurance that if the player was being sought by another club, Hibs would get a good return for their investment in developing him. Now I know that Danny splits opinion (no surprise as just about every one of our players does) but the coaching staff must see something in the laddie, otherwise LD would not have sanctioned such a long contract

Danny is a very intelligent footballer, one I'm on record here saying time and time again hasn't been used correctly by previous managers JB - for me DH is a second striker, played in a two up top, due to him having really good game awareness.......he is not a back to goal player and not a wide man. He certainly isn't a 'No 10' that Butcher saw him as :rolleyes:

I'd play him beside Farid for next two games, with Kennedy wide. Allan playing the 'behind the strikers' midfield role.

Chuffed for Handling, he will become a very good player for Hibernian :agree:

cmcd
25-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Your comments are laughable because you think you know better than the manager We all have opinions and only time will tell if AS has made the correct call Your second paragraph is the sort of comment that has annoyed certain posters Me included

portycabbage
25-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Danny is a very intelligent footballer, one I'm on record here saying time and time again hasn't been used correctly by previous managers JB - for me DH is a second striker, played in a two up top, due to him having really good game awareness.......he is not a back to goal player and not a wide man. He certainly isn't a 'No 10' that Butcher saw him as :rolleyes:

I'd play him beside Farid for next two games, with Kennedy wide. Allan playing the 'behind the strikers' midfield role.

Chuffed for Handling, he will become a very good player for Hibernian :agree:

I'd quite like to see him play as a striker also, given that's what he's supposed to be. Although I think he's done quite well as an attacking midfielder at times.

NadeAteMyLunch!
25-08-2014, 09:39 PM
4 years does seem a strange one. Hope it works out.
If his contract had run out 12 months earlier he would have been gone the morning after the Hamilton game. Who knows what level he would be playing at this season. Hopefully he sees this break he's had and kicks on.
We're all desperate for him to consistently show what he's capable of

smurf
25-08-2014, 11:35 PM
Don't know why, K.

From the fishy site

Danny said “I’m really excited about the future here at Hibs and being part of helping the club to climb back into the Scottish Premiership.

“I’ve enjoyed every minute of working with the new Head Coach – he has shown faith in me and hopefully I’ve repaid that with some decent performances.

“I want to continue to build on that and I believe he (Alan Stubbs) will develop me into becoming a better player.”

Head Coach Alan Stubbs welcomed the news and says Handling is a key part of his plans at Hibernian.

Stubbs said: “We’re really pleased that Danny has agreed a new deal – he is an important member of the squad.

“We believe his best years are ahead of him and we look forward to seeing him continue his development at Hibernian.”

Maybe with proper coaching he'll become a stalwart?

I hope so J. Nothing against the lad just surprised by the length of the deal. Great though that the manager and coaching staff see such potential. They know much much more than me! GGTTH.

BroxburnHibee
26-08-2014, 06:00 AM

Couldn't agree more John.

Thinking that the club is 'Donald ducked' and that a 4 year deal is side splittingly funny shows a total lack of respect for the club and player IMO.

Yet we're all 'supporters eh?

marinello59
26-08-2014, 06:35 AM

Exactly.
We have had plenty on here moaning about the amount of players we have had on loans and one year deals in recent years. Now it's moans because this deal is too long.

erin-go-bragh87
26-08-2014, 06:44 AM
Your comments are laughable because you think you know better than the manager We all have opinions and only time will tell if AS has made the correct call Your second paragraph is the sort of comment that has annoyed certain posters Me included

Haha, where did I say I know better than the manager. You're the only one getting annoyed pal. Funny you say we all have opinions then slate me and call me laughable for sharing mine?

erin-go-bragh87
26-08-2014, 06:47 AM
Couldn't agree more John.

Thinking that the club is 'Donald ducked' and that a 4 year deal is side splittingly funny shows a total lack of respect for the club and player IMO.

Yet we're all 'supporters eh?

We are all supporters but your obviously a better supporter than me. If your going to quote me do it properly. Tired of complete mediocrity and the constant acceptance of it by some people. Sorry if I want better than Danny's quality for Hibs.

marinello59
26-08-2014, 06:50 AM
We are all supporters but your obviously a better supporter than me. If your going to quote me do it properly. Tired of complete mediocrity and the constant acceptance of it by some people. Sorry if I want better than Danny's quality for Hibs.

So are you saying you a better supporter than some people then? :greengrin

erin-go-bragh87
26-08-2014, 07:26 AM
So are you saying you a better supporter than some people then? :greengrin

Aye!!! Haha, Nah, I guess it's just easy for us all, me included, to forget that we only argue because we are passionate about the club and all just want it to be back where it belongs sooner rather than later. The opinions come in when we try to agree the best way to do that I suppose!! Sorry if I've offended anyone guys that wasn't my intention!

Hibbyradge
26-08-2014, 07:38 AM
You're the only one getting annoyed pal.

No he's not. :wink:

BroxburnHibee
26-08-2014, 09:18 AM

Where did I say I was a better supporter? I was on my phone so couldn't multi quote by the way.

I respect your right to form an opinion on Danny 's merits of his deal and ability. I'm just utterly sick of the over the top way some people try to outdo each other in an effort to get noticed and by no means am I saying it's only you.

As I've said for me it shows a total disrespect to the club - apologies if that offends

lord bunberry
26-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Exactly.
We have had plenty on here moaning about the amount of players we have had on loans and one year deals in recent years. Now it's moans because this deal is too long.

I don't think people are moaning that the deal is too long, it's more that people are surprised by the length of the deal. Good luck to the guy, let's hope he becomes the next big thing, my god do we need it.

silverhibee
26-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Good luck to the lad, big season ahead for him and the other young lads in the team, they need to shine this season.

cmcd
26-08-2014, 11:14 AM
Haha, where did I say I know better than the manager. You're the only one getting annoyed pal. Funny you say we all have opinions then slate me and call me laughable for sharing mine?
I think you should look back over your posts You say DH is an average player who is Milking the club Im sure DH never asked for a 4 year deal It is the managers decision an thats good enough for me AS for me being the only person annoyed with your posts LOOK BACK

greenlex
26-08-2014, 12:21 PM
I think you should look back over your posts You say DH is an average player who is Milking the club Im sure DH never asked for a 4 year deal It is the managers decision an thats good enough for me AS for me being the only person annoyed with your posts LOOK BACK
Probably looking for the five years.

ALF TUPPER
26-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Well done Danny. Now prove your worth and show us what you can do :aok:

southern hibby
26-08-2014, 03:13 PM
4 years is a massive gamble. However I fully expect that Stubbs sees his potential I'n training and feels 4 years is justified.

Also the lad must feel that he can achieve his aspirations I'n football with Hibs for the next 4 years or he obviously wouldn't have signed. How-many times have we said that a player should stay another season to develop and we are gutted when they eventually leave. Maybe just maybe we have a young player who has his head screwed on, knows what he wants from his career and feels we are the best option for him to achieve his goals.

GGTTH

Smartie
26-08-2014, 04:28 PM
These long deals for youngsters do seem to be a bit hit or miss.

IIRC they seemed to be introduced after Riordan and Murray walked for nowt.

They certainly saw us get decent wedge for Brown, Fletcher, Thomson, Whittaker, Murphy and O'Connor.

But of the other ones, certainly most recently the long contracts given to Stevenson, Booth and Hanlon haven't really provided what they were probably intended to do - raise as large a fee as possible when the player was sold on. By all accounts Booth and Hanlon are on decent contracts at Hibs and this may have contributed to their reluctance to move on this summer.

When the contracts were agreed were Brown et al considered any better than Stevenson et al and for that matter Danny now?

The Harp Awakes
26-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Danny has ability and definite potential and I really hope this deal works out for Club and player.

He needs to work on his weaknesses though to be a success. I've watched Danny closely in the last few seasons and his biggest problem is his application and not working hard enough when he has had an opportunity in the 1st 11. In the modern game it's not acceptable for an attacking player to stand around with his hands on his hips when the opposition are pressing forward.

If he can sort out his work rate he could have a big future in the game.

greenlex
27-08-2014, 02:29 AM
It was a racing cert that he was going to be poor last night.

bingo70
27-08-2014, 04:38 AM
It was a racing cert that he was going to be poor last night.

Yup, I certainly wasn't surprised.

H18Y GW
27-08-2014, 05:07 AM

I think his posts are bang on, im also certain and im not a manager either that even if he was and i doubt it good enough to help.us back up, he simply isnt good enough to help us to the top 4 where we aspire to be..

Id ask this simple question and it hurts to do so.

Would our 4 year deal one for the future get a look in at the Gvnts and the" Kids" they have??

MSK
27-08-2014, 06:54 AM
I think his posts are bang on, im also certain and im not a manager either that even if he was and i doubt it good enough to help.us back up, he simply isnt good enough to help us to the top 4 where we aspire to be..

Id ask this simple question and it hurts to do so.

Would our 4 year deal one for the future get a look in at the Gvnts and the" Kids" they have??That's neither here nor there ..hearts have retained & developed youngsters through the levels who are now performing in the first team, or are on the peripherals, to a standard set by the club ..hopefully Handling will get the same support & assistance to develop under our experienced coaching staff .. as I said on a previous post on this thread, it remains to be seen whether he does develop into a better player, he needs to up the ante, yes, but Im sure with the right coaching support & given time he could do us a turn...

Winston Ingram
27-08-2014, 06:59 AM
I think that's a fair point but he's done very well for himself to get a 4 year deal.

I'm struggling to think of a decent performance from him. Not a good decision IMO. He needs motivated not security.

It's an absolute certainty this deal is getting paid up early.

basehibby
27-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Well I'd be lying if I didn't admit to being surprised - not at the offer of an extension - just at it being 4 years. Presumably Danny has shown with some consistency behind the scenes the promise which most of us have only seen in flashes thus far on the field of play. I seem to remember both Fenlon and Butcher saying very positive things about Handling and Stubbs has evidently also been impressed to offer him such a deal.

Congratulations Danny! Please show us all what a good decision this is!!! :thumbsup:

cameronw-hfc
06-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Personally I rate Danny, and think he has the potential to be very very good, however is inconsistent, like most young players and lacks confidence, just wondering others opinions?

ArmadaleHibs
06-09-2014, 03:58 PM
You better get ready to hide, this has been done several times

bingo70
06-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Had 2 good games for hibs in his career so far.

I know he's young but I don't know how anyone can rate him as good based on his career to date. Absolutely astounded he got a 4 year deal.

Sorry for the negative response but you did ask.

Billychaotic182
06-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Do we really need another thread on this issue. No offence to the OP but sick of reading about how some of your players are not good enough. Let's be positive guys!!

Viva_Palmeiras
06-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Do we really need another thread on this issue. No offence to the OP but sick of reading about how some of your players are not good enough. Let's be positive guys!!

If we can merge other threads fail to see why this shouldn't be any different. Each to own but personally I find it all a bit tedious.

I wonder if other teams put such detailed scrutiny on their young players? We're too quick to pigeon hole - "One trick ponies"/"still living off"/"waster"/"lazy","never a football player" some dudes could be tabloid sub-headline writers. It's like ghostbusters with all the negative energy building up over ER. Time to break free...

macd123
06-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Had 2 good games for hibs in his career so far.

I know he's young but I don't know how anyone can rate him as good based on his career to date. Absolutely astounded he got a 4 year deal.

Sorry for the negative response but you did ask.

He has had at least 2 very good games in the last month! 4 years is alot but whats the point exaggerating how bad you think he is?

The Green Goblin
06-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Think AS has done very well so far with what must be a very limited budget. If he sees something in DH, then I`m happy to go along with that. Good luck to Handling and I hope he proves his doubters wrong.

bingo70
06-09-2014, 05:01 PM
He has had at least 2 very good games in the last month! 4 years is alot but whats the point exaggerating how bad you think he is?

No he's not.

Assuming we're talking about competitive games of course.

RIP Bestie
06-09-2014, 05:17 PM
No he's not.

I'm afraid this is now the level of player we are trading at. The worrying thing is the length of the deal.

Viva_Palmeiras
06-09-2014, 05:35 PM
I'm afraid this is now the level of player we are trading at. The worrying thing is the length of the deal.

I presume you missed our latest permanent signing ?

TrinityHibby
06-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Young danny is a very lucky young man to have such faith shown in him by the management team. Like many hibs fans I remain surprised but look forward to him proving us wrong:flag:

QUOTE=RIP Bestie;4160167]I'm afraid this is now the level of player we are trading at. The worrying thing is the length of the deal.[/QUOTE]

macd123
06-09-2014, 06:35 PM
No he's not.

Assume that means you know he was our best player against dunfermline. Not arguing about the contract, maybe 2 years would have been about right. But going a bit far to say only two good games in his career.

RIP Bestie
06-09-2014, 10:44 PM
Don't get your point.

Moon unit
06-09-2014, 11:01 PM
I Remember a time before .net and other sites when young players were'nt subjected to daily abuse. They were judged only on a Saturday afternoon and given a chance to develop. Sadly fans now demand instant success. I used to feel that fans would be behind their young guns, willing them on. Now if they have 2 poor games we hear cries to get rid!....Not every young guy will make it, but let's get behind our young players and give them a bloody fighting chance!...:)

B.H.F.C
06-09-2014, 11:44 PM
I Remember a time before .net and other sites when young players were'nt subjected to daily abuse. They were judged only on a Saturday afternoon and given a chance to develop. Sadly fans now demand instant success. I used to feel that fans would be behind their young guns, willing them on. Now if they have 2 poor games we hear cries to get rid!....Not every young guy will make it, but let's get behind our young players and give them a bloody fighting chance!...:)

People still judge them on what they see on a Saturday. It's just that due to modern technology it's easier to express an opinion to a wider audience. I personally don't think the young players get abuse. I think they get criticism which is different all together IMO. Handling is the perfect example for me. 3 goals in about 50 games. People don't think that he offers enough and express that opinion. Rightly IMO.

lord bunberry
07-09-2014, 12:27 AM
Think AS has done very well so far with what must be a very limited budget. If he sees something in DH, then I`m happy to go along with that. Good luck to Handling and I hope he proves his doubters wrong.

As I'm I, but if I'm being honest a 4 year deal for Danny is a real surprise to me. Let's hope he repays the faith shown in him.

DH1875
07-09-2014, 12:40 AM
Sorry but I just don't see it. 4 year contract in this day and age is just crazy. 1 or 2 years with an option then maybe but I honestly cant see how anyone can justify a 4 year contract.

macd123
07-09-2014, 12:53 AM

Good post.

The Green Goblin
07-09-2014, 04:30 PM
As I'm I, but if I'm being honest a 4 year deal for Danny is a real surprise to me. Let's hope he repays the faith shown in him.

4 years surprised me too, but like yourself I`m hoping it all turns out well. :wink: If he progresses and it does turn out well, then it`s only a good thing for us.

ekhibee
07-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Just out of curiosity, what length of contract do Stanton and Cumming have?

theonlywayisup
07-09-2014, 07:35 PM

I remember hearing one radio commentator referring to the woefully inadequate David Fellinger. Thank goodness, he wasn't around in the internet age.

Billy Whizz
07-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Just out of curiosity, what length of contract do Stanton and Cumming have?

3 year deals I think

Stevie Reid
07-09-2014, 07:56 PM
People still judge them on what they see on a Saturday. It's just that due to modern technology it's easier to express an opinion to a wider audience. I personally don't think the young players get abuse. I think they get criticism which is different all together IMO. Handling is the perfect example for me. 3 goals in about 50 games. People don't think that he offers enough and express that opinion. Rightly IMO.

Handling has started 20 games for Hibs, with 26 appearances from the bench - so to say that he has had about 50 games is incorrect, and unfair.

I was surprised that Handling got a 4 year deal also, and whilst I take heart from the fact that every manager he has played under clearly rated him, I would definitely like to see more from him. I agree with the posters who have stated that young players are written off far too early by many these days though.

Handling had a decent run of games when Liam Craig was suspended last season IIRC - but was then sacrificed by Butcher when Craig became available again, despite us picking up 4 points in the previous two games. That didn't help him very much.

In the latter half of last season, when we were horrendous, Handling and Stanton were the amongst the few players brave enough to get on the ball and try things IMO.

I'm yet to be convinced, but 20 starts is too few to make a judgement either way.

RIP Bestie
13-04-2015, 01:37 AM
It really wasn't worth replying to your question at the time and I assume you were talking about Malonga. Bold statement given that you or I had never seen him play (that I can recall). Wonder if you still stand by your reply?

Ronniekirk
13-04-2015, 06:49 AM
It really wasn't worth replying to your question at the time and I assume you were talking about Malonga. Bold statement given that you or I had never seen him play (that I can recall). Wonder if you still stand by your reply?

I have posted a few strange posts in my time ,but what's made you dig this one back out the archive when we are all on here celebrating a great performance.:confused:

Stokesy's on fire
13-04-2015, 06:54 AM

You didn't half wait your time for this one haha