PDA

View Full Version : Blessing in Disguise??

Cameron1875
24-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Was yesterdays result a kick up the backside the board and Stubbs needed in order to increase their efforts in bringing in new players.

A fluky 2-1 win/late draw against Falkirk could have had people wrongly thinking we'd came away from a tough start doing relatively ok.

Now sitting near the bottom with 3 losses out of 4 in all comps seems disasterous.

Surely to christ Hibs now realise that the current squad has absolutely no chance of contesting for the championship.
I know its clutching at straws a bit but hopefully long term that result yesterday might not be too bad a thing.

SMAXXA
24-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Equally I believe the game at ibronx could be seen as a faulted dawn that has papered over so many cracks it's unreal. We still need to improve the squad with another 2 or 3 minimum and as delighted as I was from what I've seen at ibronx I have been disappointed since then.

lots of time yet and if Stubbs believes he can get us promoted with what. We have well all we can do is trust his judgment. He will fall on his own sword if that's not the case.

greenlex
24-08-2014, 09:02 PM
No. Had we scored one or even two goals at any time in the game the draw or win would not have been a fluke as it would have been fully merited. I reckon there will be a good few Falkirk fans that were delighted to getaway with 3 points.

Ronniekirk
24-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Was yesterdays result a kick up the backside the board and Stubbs needed in order to increase their efforts in bringing in new players.

A fluky 2-1 win/late draw against Falkirk could have had people wrongly thinking we'd came away from a tough start doing relatively ok.

Now sitting near the bottom with 3 losses out of 4 in all comps seems disasterous.

Surely to christ Hibs now realise that the current squad has absolutely no chance of contesting for the championship.
I know its clutching at straws a bit but hopefully long term that result yesterday might not be too bad a thing.

Yep you are clutching at straws IMO Whatever transfer money is still in the kitty will be used but it won't be added to based on yesterday's result We are a work in progress and Stubbs knew what he was taking on and presumably thought through he possibility we might not come up in one season .
Like everyone else I thought there surely has to be another three or four players coming in but have now accepted that won't be the case unless we move some players on hence the announcement that Nelson can go if he can find a club .Heff may be next based on his performance yesterday But if you think the Board have had some sort of crisis meeting and Sir Tom has sanctioned funds to be spent on new players in hope that we come straight back up I think you are going to be disappointed .

Stevie Reid
24-08-2014, 09:08 PM
A win yesterday would have been thoroughly deserved, not flukey in any way.

MWHIBBIES
24-08-2014, 09:11 PM
A win yesterday would have been thoroughly deserved, not flukey in any way.This. We were shocking second half but could easily have been out of site at half time. El Alagui also missed 2 1vs1 in the second half.

yankyhibby
24-08-2014, 09:16 PM
I recall hearing similar sentiments last season - one blessing in disguise followed another -lots of cheap talk and no walking the walk from those wearing the shirt or behind the scenes. If relegation is not the wake up call and kick up the back side our club needed, then God knows what is.

greenlex
24-08-2014, 09:21 PM
I recall hearing similar sentiments last season as we capitulated game after game after game. One blessing in disguise followed another -lots of cheap talk and no walking the walk from those wearing the shirt.

We hardly capitulated yesterday. In fact we hardly capitulated last week either truth be known. Are you saying it's just the same old same old and there has been no change from last season ?

B.H.F.C
24-08-2014, 09:27 PM
No defeat is ever a blessing. I was quite encouraged after Ibrox but I still knew we needed more bodies and still thought there was plenty of room for improvement. If I could see it I'm sure Stubbs could.

yankyhibby
24-08-2014, 09:28 PM
We hardly capitulated yesterday. In fact we hardly capitulated last week either truth be known. Are you saying it's just the same old same old and there has been. I change from last season ?
I agree, we did not capitulate in the games you rightly refer to. My point was that the term " blessing in disguise" was oft used last season to no avail. Yes, we have improved in terms of we are now capable of playing 'pretty football' , but the results, sadly, have not improved. This said, it is early days and I remain hopeful that the purse strings will be loosened and Alan Stubbs will get the 4 new quality faces we are crying out for. Positive results, I feel are just around the corner.

greenlex
24-08-2014, 09:33 PM
I agree, we did not capitulate in the games you rightly refer to. My point was that the term " blessing in disguise" was oft used last season to no avail. Yes, we have improved in terms of we are now capable of playing 'pretty football' , but the results, sadly, have not improved. This said, it is early days and I remain hopeful that the purse strings will be loosened and Alan Stubbs will get the 4 new quality faces we are crying out for. Positive results, I feel are just around the corner.
:aok:

Ozyhibby
25-08-2014, 12:24 AM
Yet another blessing in disguise. I can't take much more of them.

Forza Fred
25-08-2014, 02:04 AM
I recall hearing similar sentiments last season - one blessing in disguise followed another -lots of cheap talk and no walking the walk from those wearing the shirt or behind the scenes. If relegation is not the wake up call and kick up the back side our club needed, then God knows what is.

This multiplied by 12.

If we fail to heed the wake up call, and I think we are in danger of doing that, it won't be just a COUPLE of seasons we will languish in the lower divisions, we can look forward to doing it on a semi permanent basis.

Maybe we go from the Hibees to the YoYos.:rolleyes:

Forza Fred
25-08-2014, 02:09 AM
No. Had we scored one or even two goals at any time in the game the draw or win would not have been a fluke as it would have been fully merited. I reckon there will be a good few Falkirk fans that were delighted to getaway with 3 points.

They ALL would be, surely?

Turkish Green
25-08-2014, 06:02 AM
If nothing else, Saturday's game showed the level that the current Hibs squad are at. It clearly killed off any lingering illusion that they will be winning the Championship.

With the Huns and Yams likely vying for the top spot, and Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton & Alloa the relegation places, it will be down to Hibs, Falkirk, Raith QoS and Livi to fight it out for the 2 remaining play-off places. Even with no new players coming in I just cannot see Hibs finishing lower than 4th.

But again. as I have mentioned before, it is a long season and injuries and suspensions will take their toll over the winter and with little to no cover this will be a crucial period. Already we have the injury prone Hanlon injured yet again.

This is the last week of the window, maybe there will be some action. Maybe.

Nutmegged
25-08-2014, 06:35 AM
Relegation was the kick up the backside the club needed, it's impossible to believe losing a couple of Championship matches will makr a difference to the mindset

db03
25-08-2014, 06:55 AM
By all accounts we were by far the better team on Saturday and 3 points were deserved, this was against a Falkirk team that The Rangers struggled against and got a lucky break with that deflected goal. We badly need a goal scorer as El Alagui is not the answer in my opinion. Liam Craig constantly puts us under pressure with his bad passes and lack of football. People are getting abit too carried away here, we have come on a lot since last season so let Stubbs continue his rebuilding job. I still think we are 3 players short which im sure Stubbs can see too.
Allan, Kennedy and Gray all look like good footballers so I trust in him to sort us out and get us up the right end of the table.

WHUHibs
25-08-2014, 07:09 AM
We hardly capitulated yesterday. In fact we hardly capitulated last week either truth be known. Are you saying it's just the same old same old and there has been no change from last season ?

Non capitulation, unlucky not scoring goals against Falkirk,,4 competitive games this season and only 1 win! Same old results just a different season.

Not sure if we have spent more money that Hearts but they have already laid a marker with performances and wins,,,well do you feel short changed?

greenlex
25-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Non capitulation, unlucky not scoring goals against Falkirk,,4 competitive games this season and only 1 win! Same old results just a different season.

Not sure if we have spent more money that Hearts but they have already laid a marker with performances and wins,,,well do you feel short changed?
Certainly don't feel short changed this season. I have witnessed as good football as I've seen in years. I am confident results will come. We are less than a handful of games into the season and folk are writing it of whilst gnashing their teeth. Folk need to get it into their heads that we won't spend money we don't have. There will be mire signings as they are needed for sure but they need to be the right ones. It's probably well worn as a phrase but Stubbs needs time and the support needs a bit of patience.