PDA

View Full Version : An outsiders view

TrinityHibs
24-08-2014, 12:22 PM
I took an English guy along to ER yesterday. He is very keen on football following Arsenal and local Southern Football League Premier Division team in Dorset.

His views on the game were as follows

It was an enjoyable game of football.
Gray was continually in space and was ignored.
Allan was easily the best player on the park. Really surprised he did to get MOM.
Craig started okay but dropped deeper and deeper until he he was playing central defence but did accept that we might have been trying to play 3 at the back at that point. More noticeably in the second half he collected the ball with his back to the goal so ended up playing backwards.
He thought Nelson did okay but had limited passing skills.
El Aguir struggled to bring players into the game but that might have been lack of support
Harris seemed too keen to move the ball on and again was receiving the ball with his back to the goal.
He thought Kennedy played well and seemed to be the get out player going forward.
Booth looked good going forward in the first half but held back more in the second.
Oxley did very little wrong.
No comments on Forster and genuinely didn't know that Heffernan was on the pitch until I reminded him he was the guy who missed what seemed an open header.
Interestingly he thought the support was passionate, frustrated and funny.

He thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would go back. Opinions huh!!!

Spike Mandela
24-08-2014, 12:25 PM
I took an English guy along to ER yesterday. He is very keen on football following Arsenal and local Southern Football League Premier Division team in Dorset.

Allan was easily the best player on the park. Really surprised he did to get MOM.
Craig started okay but dropped deeper and deeper until he he was playing central defence but did accept that we might have been trying to play 3 at the back at that point. More noticeably in the second half he collected the ball with his back to the goal so ended up playing backwards.
El Aguir struggled to bring players into the game but that might have been lack of support
Harris seemed too keen to move the ball on and again was receiving the ball with his back to the goal.
He thought Kennedy played well and seemed to be the get out player going forward.
Booth looked good going forward in the first half but held back more in the second.
No comments on Forster and genuinely didn't know that Heffernan was on the pitch until I reminded him he was the guy who missed what seemed an open header.

I'll swap him my season ticket for an Arsenal one, in fact might swap him for the Dorset one:greengrin

Keith_M
24-08-2014, 12:26 PM

He's a neutral and only been to one game. I wonder how long he'd watch Arsenal for if they continually played like Hibs.

:wink:

Iain G
24-08-2014, 12:28 PM

A satisfied customer? We should have him stuffed!

Stringer
24-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Wouldn't mind switching to a back three. Stevenson would be a useful wingback, he would push harris further up the park. Would need Jones to drop into defence though, Nelson's distribution is not good enough

Forster. Tudor Jones. Hanlon

Gray. Stevenson.

BoomtownHibees
24-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Wouldn't mind switching to a back three. Stevenson would be useful wingback, he would push harris further up the park. Would need Jones to drop into defence though, Nelson's distribution is not good enough

Gray. Stevenson

Stevenson offers nothing going forward so wouldn't be a good choice as wing back. Booth would be my pick in there

matty_f
24-08-2014, 12:31 PM
I think his assessment is pretty accurate.

Scouse Hibee
24-08-2014, 01:34 PM

I posted the very same last night on the ratings thread.

southern hibby
24-08-2014, 01:44 PM
What team I'n Dorset does he support GGTTH

NAE NOOKIE
24-08-2014, 01:52 PM

Brilliant ..................... :faf:

J-C
24-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Stevenson offers nothing going forward so wouldn't be a good choice as wing back. Booth would be my pick in there

Don't know about that, when pushed forward last season he looked as good a wing back as any in the league, rememeber you need a wing back to also come back and cover to make the 5 at the back when needed, Booth forgets to come back and the space behind him is there for all to see, you have to know when to go forward and when to stay back.

BoomtownHibees
24-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Don't know about that, when pushed forward last season he looked as good a wing back as any in the league, rememeber you need a wing back to also come back and cover to make the 5 at the back when needed, Booth forgets to come back and the space behind him is there for all to see, you have to know when to go forward and when to stay back.

His final ball lets him down time and time again. Seen that last week at the dump

emerald green
24-08-2014, 07:09 PM

And yet there was one poster on another thread who called his fellow Hibs supporters the worst in the country. Truly unbelievable eh?

Iain G
25-08-2014, 01:36 AM
Brilliant ..................... :faf:

Nicked from Fawlty Towers, but thought it was pretty appropriate :greengrin

Forza Fred
25-08-2014, 06:08 AM

We're ALL stuffed!:hibees

Turkish Green
25-08-2014, 06:22 AM
Neutrals can watch games objectively. His summary was probably correct.

On the other hand we see games through bottle green spectacles which pick up all the flaws.

Congruence
25-08-2014, 06:29 AM
very good assessment from a neutral, and spot on regarding Craig

TrinityHibs
25-08-2014, 06:41 AM
What team I'n Dorset does he support GGTTH

Dorchester.

southern hibby
25-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Dorchester.

Was only asking because I was at the Weymouth v Frome town game fortnight ago and was very impressed with Weymouths number 11. Played on the Right wing was very very fast good first touch especially the 3 times he brought the ball down. Had a good cross and cut I'n 2 or 3 times.
I really do believe he will go on to be a big player for them this season and if he keeps developing will undoubtedly go on to bigger things.

Trust me if I had money I would buy him for Hibs because there really is potential there. I'n all the games I watched down south I'n my 22 years living down here he's the one player who I feel was completely wasted at the team he's at. Problem is it's only one game I seen him playing I'n so not sure about consistency.

GGTTH

Ray_
25-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Neutrals can watch games objectively. His summary was probably correct.

On the other hand we see games through bottle green spectacles which pick up all the flaws.

The league we are playing in and our position in that league also picks up the flaws.:greengrin

I'm glad your friend enjoyed the game.

Deansy
25-08-2014, 10:20 AM

Said this before, when TB played him there when he first arrived, Lewis was like a new player. Far better in midfield than in defence !

Speedy
25-08-2014, 10:28 AM
Wouldn't mind switching to a back three. Stevenson would be a useful wingback, he would push harris further up the park. Would need Jones to drop into defence though, Nelson's distribution is not good enough

Gray. Stevenson.

Had to read that twice...was thinking "eh, he's got 4 in his back 3". :greengrin

Leith_Hibee
25-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Hope his teams wins the big derby in Weymouth today. Up the magpies.