PDA

View Full Version : Don't come back

Alan62
24-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Many years ago when I was editor of Hibernian's Matchday Magazine, Alex Miller told me that he hated making comments immediately after the game. His view was that when you're caught up in the emotion of the match you tend to say things that you'll regret in the cold light of the next again day. Nodding in to Hibs.net and the pitiful Hibernian News Facebook page last night and this morning, you can't fail to notice a collective hysteria that confirms Mr Miller's observations of all those years ago.

The signs were there at the game, mind. One nutter near me was so red in the face with anger that a heart attack seemed imminent. And the bams who moaned at every long ball under Butcher, were equally critical of every pass that wasn't in a forward direction yesterday.

And then there was the booing at the end. It's become a ritual at Easter Road. I'm almost certain that one day we'll win handsomely and some kids raised on booing will deliver their customary farewell to the team in a Pavlovian response to the final whistle.

Although the club needs the money, I would say if you're going to be greetin' faced for 90 minutes and explode into a tirade of abuse at every mistake, then don't come back. I am sure that those of us who want to see the team continue to develop the brand of football introduced by our new manager would rather watch from emptier stands than be surrounded by your negativity which does transfer to the pitch and makes the job of our players so much harder.

So there you go. Cut up your season ticket. Join your wife or boyfriend for a trip to Ocean Terminal on Saturday afternoons. Go to the Zoo and stare at the Pandas. Ride back and forward on the tram to the airport. Do whatever you like but don't come to Easter Road and don't come on here or on Facebook moaning about everything to do with Hibernian Football Club. You're dragging us all down and we don't need you.

Forza Fred
24-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Many years ago when I was editor of Hibernian's Matchday Magazine, Alex Miller told me that he hated making comments immediately after the game. His view was that when you're caught up in the emotion of the match you tend to say things that you'll regret in the cold light of the next again day. Nodding in to Hibs.net and the pitiful Hibernian News Facebook page last night and this morning, you can't fail to notice a collective hysteria that confirms Mr Miller's observations of all those years ago.

The signs were there at the game, mind. One nutter near me was so red in the face with anger that a heart attack seemed imminent. And the bams who moaned at every long ball under Butcher, were equally critical of every pass that wasn't in a forward direction yesterday.

And then there was the booing at the end. It's become a ritual at Easter Road. I'm almost certain that one day we'll win handsomely and some kids raised on booing will deliver their customary farewell to the team in a Pavlovian response to the final whistle.

Although the club needs the money, I would say if you're going to be greetin' faced for 90 minutes and explode into a tirade of abuse at every mistake, then don't come back. I am sure that those of us who want to see the team continue to develop the brand of football introduced by our new manager would rather watch from emptier stands than be surrounded by your negativity which does transfer to the pitch and makes the job of our players so much harder.

So there you go. Cut up your season ticket. Join your wife or boyfriend for a trip to Ocean Terminal on Saturday afternoons. Go to the Zoo and stare at the Pandas. Ride back and forward on the tram to the airport. Do whatever you like but don't come to Easter Road and don't come on here or on Facebook moaning about everything to do with Hibernian Football Club. You're dragging us all down and we don't need you.

Judging by season ticket sales, it appears many have already chosen to do that.

DC_Hibs
24-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Have you tried stamp collecting Nigel?

Alan62
24-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Judging by the tone of yesterday's wailing and gnashing of teeth, there's still a way to go.

BoomtownHibees
24-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Yep, stay away. It's not as if the club need the money anyway

TRC
24-08-2014, 09:45 AM
The pavlovian comment is the best thing i have seen on here for a while!

HH81
24-08-2014, 09:45 AM

Even the next day it still shows the club is the one at fault for dragging anyone down.

southsider
24-08-2014, 09:48 AM
So that level of performance is acceptable is it ? We just meekly shake our heads and troop off. We have more coaches than Hunters and more training space than NASA and we still cannot take a bl**dy throw in !

The Green Man
24-08-2014, 09:54 AM

Agree. Stats back it up, we must have one of the poorest home records around and don't do as badly on the road, that surly shows the negativity at ER does effect the team. you can argue that it shouldn't, that they are professionals etc, but it does and if we don't stop then it is only going to make it harder for any chance of promotion.

we only need to finish 4th to have a chance of getting promoted and I totally believe we can do that and if we are starting to find our best form at the end of the season all the better! there is clearly still a lot that needs fixed at ER and I hope that it is getting put right behind the scenes, and everyone has a right to say if they feel that is not happening, but I don't think that booing players is the best way to do that. if you want things to change, support the team and put pressure on the club on non match days.

Stuarty27
24-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Pathetic post

snooky
24-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Hail to the masochistic followers (boo boys, et al) who continue to show up for their weekly scourge.
When they stop going, there'll be nothing left.

B.H.F.C
24-08-2014, 10:03 AM

What an absolute load of garbage. Because people choose to express their feelings in a different way to you they shouldn't come back?

The only thing dragging the club down is our inability to win football matches. All this stuff about it being the fans fault is tiresome.

The Leith Dutch
24-08-2014, 10:05 AM
I think there needs to be a balance - while the match is going on people shouldn't be shouting at players but I think we have to reserve the right as a support to make our feelings clear once the game is over.

Some of the moaning in game is utter negative crap.

There's a guy behind me in the East who has a Season Ticket next to his sister and it's a constant stream of negativity including the classic trailing off in the middle of the expletive as he realises that it's not actually a bad pass.

What the guy knows about football you could write down on the back of a fag packet.
And you wouldn't need a pen.

Some of the reactions to the team performances - such as booing at the end of a poor game - are much more understandable.

Surely as a support we simply cannot accept some of the abysmal "football" and, more significantly, the craven surrender of a team that the whole of Scotland regard as a soft touch without there being some kind of response?

marinello59
24-08-2014, 10:08 AM

:timebomb:
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooo!!!!
Heading to the zoo. I hate ****ing Panda's and they are going to know all about it.

Pretty Boy
24-08-2014, 10:09 AM
I really feel what .net is lacking at the moment is a thread discussing the fans.

The 3 threads already dealing with it just weren't enough.

Steve20
24-08-2014, 10:09 AM

I'll moan about things that are wrong if I want because for the past 6-7 years, alot (not everything) of what's went on has been a disgrace. And the people in charge don't give a toss. If they did, we'd have better players than the shower of pish that got us relegated.

Club doesn't wanted treated like a joke? Then they shouldn't behave like a joke club.

Hamish
24-08-2014, 10:10 AM
What an absolute load of garbage. Because people choose to express their feelings in a different way to you they shouldn't come back?

The only thing dragging the club down is our inability to win football matches. All this stuff about it being the fans fault is tiresome.

Tiresome it may be, does't stop it being true though. Don't think anyone is saying its all the fans fault, but the abuse I have witnessed in the last few seasons and those detailed in the OP certainly doesn't help.

ackeygraham
24-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Let's all just sit back and watch the steady decline both off and on the pitch then shall we?

Both second halves at home this season have failed to live up to their first halves, but lucky we had been two goals up in the Livingston game. Yesterday was shocking , especially at the side and back slow tempo passing. The last couple of minutes was how we should be playing every game until hopeful were in a commanding lead, as from results the two main rivals are doing now already.

9000 odd people back hibs today by turning up giving hard earned cash by walk up or ST, was that worth 22 quid? Don't think so...hence the vocal unrest as we deserve better and have done for many seasons. We need to show the board that we need to get out this league at first shot, if not the already dwindling support will all end up at the zoo, ocean terminal or elsewhere.

Petrie needs to sell his 10 percent as he is killing this club and putting his own sfa agenda before the club itself. Selfish.

emerald green
24-08-2014, 10:32 AM

:top marksIt's not the fans fault. I'll say it for the umpteenth time. It's just a smokescreen blaming the fans for what has gone on at this club for years, ultimately ending up in the club being relegated in the most embarrassing manner imaginable.

The finger of blame should be getting pointed at those ultimately charged with running the club. Step forward the board of directors led by Rod Petrie. I exclude LD from this criticism. Why wasn't Petrie getting it tight yesterday?

Eyrie
24-08-2014, 10:33 AM
:timebomb:
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooo!!!!
Heading to the zoo. I hate ****ing Panda's and they are going to know all about it.
Isn't that the reason pandas are going extinct - they're just not doing it enough? Deserve every boo they get.

But judging by the normal .net attitude, booing them will have a more positive effect than playing Barry White on loop.

Hibrandenburg
24-08-2014, 10:38 AM

You fail to recognise the group of people who mainly go to bump their gums. There's an element of our support who obviously find it therapeutic to scream abuse at their own players. They've always been there and always will be there. Long after the last supporter has nailed his season ticket to the East Stand turnstile and taken up tiddlywinks for his Saturday thrills, they'll still be enthusiastically turning up in numbers to let off steam by undermining the team.

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2014, 10:39 AM
If the team started winning for a change, and managed to actually play football in the top league challenging for Europe and punched their weight, i wonder if the boo's would stop?

Its a novel idea i suppose, has anyone at the club thought of trying this? :rolleyes:

NAE NOOKIE
24-08-2014, 10:43 AM
The end came for Pat Fenlon after a 0 - 1 League cup home defeat to hearts. In that game Hibs played as well as they had for months, they utterly outplayed the Yams pretty well from start to finish. On any other day the fans would have left the game bemoaning Hibs luck and shaking their heads at what was a travesty of footballing justice.

But following months of disappointment all that mattered that night was the result and Fenlon was gone weeks later.

Yesterday Hibs in reality didn't play badly at all. We made a number of chances which were squandered as a result of poor finishing or a poor final ball from good positions ... the display by Kennedy was very encouraging, he beat his man time and again even though he was 'double teamed' at times. Yes the ball was played across the pitch a lot, but more often than not it ended up with Kennedy on the left or Gray / Harris on the right, so at least it was being done with purpose.

But as the game wore on the results were filtering through from elsewhere that our two biggest rivals for promotion were winning, especially the Yams who were stuffing Raith away, a club who had made a good start to the season .......... the realisation was dawning amongst our support that here was Hibs huffing and puffing to salvage a draw at home to a club considered our 3rd main rival for top spot.

It is clear now after only 3 games that Hibs don't have what it takes to challenge for top spot in this league .... that leaves the play offs but even then the fans will need to be convinced that if we get there we will have a chance of winning through. If we cant win our home games where is the evidence we are capable of doing that.

After years of disappointment Hibs need to produce results to keep the fans onside .... Like in the Fenlon situation the fans willingness to accept hard luck stories or club statements about new dawns and new approaches has worn paper thin. You are asking fans to stay away if they are going to boo the team off. As far as I'm concerned the folk there on Saturday were true Hibbies whose frustration got the better of them.

I for one would rather that fans still care enough to go to ER and boo from the stands at full time than not go at all.

Spike Mandela
24-08-2014, 10:46 AM
I have honestly never booed a Hibs team or a player at a Hibs game, held my head in my hands in despair on a few occasions but never booed.

Is there anyone on .net brave enough to admit they have booed the team or a Hibs player at a game and to explain their thinking at the time. I genuinely am interested in why they do it?

emerald green
24-08-2014, 10:49 AM
The end came for Pat Fenlon after a 0 - 1 League cup home defeat to hearts. In that game Hibs played as well as they had for months, they utterly outplayed the Yams pretty well from start to finish. On any other day the fans would have left the game bemoaning Hibs luck and shaking their heads at what was a travesty of footballing justice.

But following months of disappointment all that mattered that night was the result and Fenlon was gone weeks later.

Yesterday Hibs in reality didn't play badly at all. We made a number of chances which were squandered as a result of poor finishing or a poor final ball from good positions ... the display by Kennedy was very encouraging, he beat his man time and again even though he was 'double teamed' at times. Yes the ball was played across the pitch a lot, but more often than not it ended up with Kennedy on the left or Gray / Harris on the right, so at least it was being done with purpose.

But as the game wore on the results were filtering through from elsewhere that our two biggest rivals for promotion were winning, especially the Yams who were stuffing Raith away, a club who had made a good start to the season .......... the realisation was dawning amongst our support that here was Hibs huffing and puffing to salvage a draw at home to a club considered our 3rd main rival for top spot.

It is clear now after only 3 games that Hibs don't have what it takes to challenge for top spot in this league .... that leaves the play offs but even then the fans will need to be convinced that if we get there we will have a chance of winning through. If we cant win our home games where is the evidence we are capable of doing that.

After years of disappointment Hibs need to produce results to keep the fans onside .... Like in the Fenlon situation the fans willingness to accept hard luck stories or club statements about new dawns and new approaches has worn paper thin. You are asking fans to stay away if they are going to boo the team off. As far as I'm concerned the folk there on Saturday were true Hibbies whose frustration got the better of them.

I for one would rather that fans still care enough to go to ER and boo from the stands at full time than not go at all.

Good post and well said.

Steve-O
24-08-2014, 10:55 AM
We had a few chances yesterday and should've won.

Some of the utter GUFF I was hearing from the stands was just ridiculous.

At one point we passed back to the keeper and there were boos all round. It was embarrassing.

We just needed a break yesterday and it didn't happen. Some of the stuff I've read bears no resemblance to the game I watched.

These moaners are not helping IMO.

DaveF
24-08-2014, 10:59 AM
If the team started winning for a change, and managed to actually play football in the top league challenging for Europe and punched their weight, i wonder if the boo's would stop?

Its a novel idea i suppose, has anyone at the club thought of trying this? :rolleyes:

ha, that'll never catch on. It's us pesky loyal fans who are the root cause.

Imagine wanting your team to do well, paying top money in the hope it will happen only to be shat on time and time again by a board who doesn't care.

Aye, that's some post Alan62. I don't boo, but I'm frustrated as **** and I take out that frustration on here. If you want me to withdraw my ST of 25 years plus and all will be well, then fine, let's see how that goes.

The Leith Dutch
24-08-2014, 11:00 AM

The fact that we're hopeful of just punching our weight is the bit that hits the nail on the head.

The budget may have been used poorly, we may have signed the wrong players and we may not have been prepared to pay the wages we possibly should have to attract or to keep certain players but the fact remains we have had one of the bigger budgets in Scotland.

I don't have the numbers to hand but I'd put money on the fact that only the ugly sisters and the pre meltdown yams were definitively more than us and that only Aberdeen and possibly Dundee Utd would be around our level if that.

Since the SPL began we've finished lower than 6th in 7 of the 15 seasons with an average finish of 7th.

wookie70
24-08-2014, 11:01 AM
I boo'ed them off yesterday. I supported them throughout the game but felt I needed to let them know how I felt at the end of the game and to vent some of my own frustration. If they continued to play the second half in the same fashion as the first I would have been fine. The second half was pathetic though. No urgency shown at all. I can't see the problem with showing our displeasure after the game it tells the players that the performance was unacceptable to us and at some point they must take a look to see how they redress the situation.

I was generous with my applause at half time to show them how I felt of the first half display which should have seen them wrap the game up.

If you think this affects the players then I will disagree. The piece of bad play they are involved in is what loses them their confidence. Liam Craig fell to bits after his penalty miss last week and it has continued into this week. The fans at Tynie could not have been more supportive but his poor play made his head drop and there was no way the fans could lift him after that.

silverhibee
24-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Agree. Stats back it up, we must have one of the poorest home records around and don't do as badly on the road, that surly shows the negativity at ER does effect the team. you can argue that it shouldn't, that they are professionals etc, but it does and if we don't stop then it is only going to make it harder for any chance of promotion.

we only need to finish 4th to have a chance of getting promoted and I totally believe we can do that and if we are starting to find our best form at the end of the season all the better! there is clearly still a lot that needs fixed at ER and I hope that it is getting put right behind the scenes, and everyone has a right to say if they feel that is not happening, but I don't think that booing players is the best way to do that. if you want things to change, support the team and put pressure on the club on non match days.

Could you show me these stats that we play better away from home and get better results away than home, you obviously didn't attend many away games last season or the season before that etc etc, and two away games so far this season and lost both, so fire the stats up to prove your point.

DaveF
24-08-2014, 11:05 AM
We had a few chances yesterday and should've won.

Some of the utter GUFF I was hearing from the stands was just ridiculous.

At one point we passed back to the keeper and there were boos all round. It was embarrassing.

We just needed a break yesterday and it didn't happen. Some of the stuff I've read bears no resemblance to the game I watched.

These moaners are not helping IMO.

With respect Steve (which of course means no respect :greengrin) I think it helps looking at things from 20,000 miles away and not having suffered another derby defeat so recently in meek fashion. It's not as if the whole stadium is in uproar - which from reading some of the posts on here you would think was the case. I sit in the WU and hear no boo's. I see plenty of people of around me with their head in their hands though.

The crowd yesterday were behind the team, appreciated a good 1st half - finishing apart - but DID get very agitated and frustrated towards the end when playing the ball back and across the back 4 when a goal down wasn't getting us anywhere. That is perfectly understandable IMO.

Yes, there will be idiots. Every support has them so its not exclusive to us. Get it right on the park and this nonsense debate will not even exist.

bingo70
24-08-2014, 11:09 AM
With respect Steve (which of course means no respect :greengrin) I think it helps looking at things from 20,000 miles away and not having suffered another derby defeat so recently in meek fashion. It's not as if the whole stadium is in uproar - which from reading some of the posts on here you would think was the case. I sit in the WU and hear no boo's. I see plenty of people of around me with their head in their hands though.

The crowd yesterday were behind the team, appreciated a good 1st half - finishing apart - but DID get very agitated and frustrated towards the end when playing the ball back and across the back 4 when a goal down wasn't getting us anywhere. That is perfectly understandable IMO.

Yes, there will be idiots. Every support has them so its not exclusive to us. Get it right on the park and this nonsense debate will not even exist.

Steve is in the country the now so I'm assuming he was there yesterday.

His post was certainly spot on imo. I'd also say the fact he doesn't go to the games every week may give yesterday's performance some perspective. Everyone is sick to the back teeth of getting beat but looking at yesterday's game in isolation we played quite well for long spells and should have won the game comfortably.

Ross89
I have honestly never booed a Hibs team or a player at a Hibs game, held my head in my hands in despair on a few occasions but never booed.

Is there anyone on .net brave enough to admit they have booed the team or a Hibs player at a game and to explain their thinking at the time. I genuinely am interested in why they do it?

I'll answer you on that one Spike

At the semi final against Falkirk we were lucky to be only 3-0 down at HT.

I (along with thousands of other hibs fans) actually boo'd the hibs players when they came back on to the pitch for the 2nd half.

Was it right - probably not

Did it work - well we won 4-3 !!!!!

Explain that one !!!!!

heretoday
Anyone who boos Hibs is lower than a cur in my opinion.

I've been supporting this club since 1963 and at that time they were bottom of the old first division. They narrowly avoided relegation. Nobody booed them then and nor should they now.

This thing called football is a game. It's supposed to be about enjoyment but sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Never mind what the Hearts are up to. They have their own problems for sure and they will have problems in the future.

One thing is certain - we will look back on all this and laugh. It's swings and roundabouts.

Like life.

DaveF
24-08-2014, 11:13 AM

His post was certainly spot on imo. I'd also say the fact he doesn't go to the games every week may give yesterday's performance some perspective. Everyone is sick to the back teeth of getting beat but looking at yesterday's game in isolation we played quite well for long spells and should have won the game comfortably.

Ah, fair enough, didn't know he was back in Scotland.

OK, we'll agree to disagree. We certainly played well in the first half, no doubt. Second, I'm not convinced.

I'm going to bow out on this one. Folk can blame long suffering, loyal fans all they like. I think it's a flawed case but it polarises opinion so I'm out.

leggeto
24-08-2014, 11:21 AM
I don't blame the folk who boo,time for the players to man up and get on with it,play bad get bood play good get applause, easy fix

wookie70
24-08-2014, 11:22 AM
Could you show me these stats that we play better away from home and get better results away than home, you obviously didn't attend many away games last season or the season before that etc etc, and two away games so far this season and lost both, so fire the stats up to prove your point.

I have posted a couple of times regarding the stats. We generally have a better record at Easter Road but unfortunately that doesn't suit the fan hater arguments. The support, from the games I have attended, tends to be better away from home. The record is worse. I would argue the support has a marginal affect on the performance with the exception of the revenue it brings in to buy better players.

SlickShoes
24-08-2014, 11:24 AM
"we are hibs, we don't need fans, please stay away"

Spike Mandela
24-08-2014, 11:45 AM

I (along with thousands of other hibs fans) actually boo'd the hibs players when they came back on to the pitch for the 2nd half.

Explain that one !!!!!

Leigh Griffiths:wink:

Interesting though. Do you think a player hears booing and says to himself better buck up my ideas or do they disappear in to their shell for fear of making a mistake and attracting the boos.

Can also see why when a performance is so abject like the one you describe above the only way the fans can voice their displeasure is by this universally recognised sound.

By the same token when we got one or two goals back in that game the tidal wave of encouragement that came from the stands to the team swept them on to victory. I don't remember anyone booing when Griffiths missed the penalty, it was encouragement all the way.

Seems to be a fine balance between team performance and fans encouragement.

cabbageandribs1875
24-08-2014, 11:51 AM

aye ok Boss :faf:

Ross89
24-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Leigh Griffiths:wink:

Interesting though. Do you think a player hears booing and says to himself better buck up my ideas or do they disappear in to their shell for fear of making a mistake and attracting the boos.

Can also see why when a performance is so abject like the one you describe above the only way the fans can voice their displeasure is by this universally recognised sound.

By the same token when we got one or two goals back in that game the tidal wave of encouragement that came from the stands to the team swept them on to victory. I don't remember anyone booing when Griffiths missed the penalty, it was encouragement all the way.

Seems to be a fine balance between team performance and fans encouragement.

There is no doubt that positive encouragement is better than booing the players.

However I'd be lying if I said I had never boo'd the players, hence my example of the semi vs Falkirk.

For the record, I never even mustered up a boo when we got relegated against the mighty Hamilton Accies. I think all of the life had been sucked out of me by then.

It really is " death by a thousand cuts" being a Hibs fan!

Iain G
24-08-2014, 12:03 PM

Quite fond of a pavlova too :wink:

Iain G
24-08-2014, 12:12 PM

Boo to, Boo to be, Boo to be a Hibee? Maybe some of the fans have just got the wrong lyrics? :greengrin

Big Frank
24-08-2014, 12:18 PM

oh dear.

you dont moan yer head off at the match, just on Hibs.net!

Hibernian are *****. Constantly *****.

Once we get over the hurdle of being constantly *****, the fans wont boo.

Personally pig sick of everything falling back on the fans. It won't be too long till Hibs fans are responsible for the middle east.

Sorry mate, but gash OP.

Eyrie
24-08-2014, 12:27 PM

Explain that one !!!!!

If abusing the players worked, then Butcher and Malpas would have been preparing us for the Champions League :wink:

kaisersmith
24-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Booing is one thing but the some of the abuse that comes out peoples mouths is vile.

Stranraer
24-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Booing is one thing but the some of the abuse that comes out peoples mouths is vile.

:agree: the guy next to me at the derby was a bit of a nutcase, shouting vile abuse at Craig the whole game.

H18 SFR
24-08-2014, 03:25 PM

Utter rubbish, more chance of the negativity transferring from the pitch to the stand than the stand to the pitch.

Hermit Crab
24-08-2014, 03:33 PM

This includes the guy who decided to shout abuse at the ticket office girls when they were dealing with my request at the end of the game. Shouting "get someone that can work the ****ing computer" will not get you served by the way. Way out of order and one of the girls was visibly upset about this and actually said she was sick fed up of people like this. If you're reading this then you should have apologised for being an arse of the highest order.

Hibby 2005
24-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Utter rubbish, more chance of the negativity transferring from the pitch to the stand than the stand to the pitch.

You could add apathy to the negativity. In the 2nd half the Hibs players only seemed to realise that some urgency was needed with about 10mins to go.

greenlex
24-08-2014, 03:46 PM

Kin Booooooooooo

Winston Ingram
24-08-2014, 03:50 PM

:top marks

Some of the pant wetting going on here and the game was embarrassing.

Phil MaGlass
24-08-2014, 04:21 PM

I've been supporting this club since 1963 and at that time they were bottom of the old first division. They narrowly avoided relegation. Nobody booed them then and nor should they now.

This thing called football is a game. It's supposed to be about enjoyment but sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Never mind what the Hearts are up to. They have their own problems for sure and they will have problems in the future.

One thing is certain - we will look back on all this and laugh. It's swings and roundabouts.

Like life.
Its people like you who are happy to sit on their hands, bend over and take a royal shafting from an uncaring, ungrateful excuse for a football club. Good for you for having the great experience and stamina of supporting them since 63. This club has turned into a f, n joke of a club with too many of our so called supporters like you whom sit on their ar5es every week and applaud or accept mediocrity, if I wish to boo a team of over paid, underskilled, oxygen theives that are not giving their all or not capable of giving their all, that, my dear cur is my f, n perogative not yours. You can by all means sit on yir ar5e and accept mediocrity I sir cur wont. Funny thing is, idont know of any other team that does accept mediocrity and as for lookint back on this and having a laugh, nah dont think so, times have changed, people have changed and attitudes have changed, its not f, n 1963 anymore its 2014 and were not accepting pi5h anymore, thats why were staying away. Cur

Pretty Boy
24-08-2014, 04:29 PM
You know whats quite amusing.

A lot of people on here still using the 'bedwetters' term or a variant thereof where the same people calling anyone who dared suggest we might be relegated last season the same thing.

Maybe those who are a bit negative about our current situation are actually correct, just like they were last season.

hibs4life
24-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Would be quite happy if the plank next to me at yesterday's game, who ran a commentary for the whole game in as loud a voice as he could, liberally peppered with expletives and player abuse, decided Easter Road wasn't for him any more.
There are those fans who are only vocal criticising and who you don't hear commenting positively on any good play. Sitting near those types at a game is hard to bear, especially if you are already feeling down with events on the pitch...

Dalkeith Hibee
24-08-2014, 04:37 PM
I think the boos and moans should be directed at the board as once again its their fault. If it isnt Petrie appointing numpties as managers.....he hasnt got it right since Mowbray.....or Dempster not giving Stubbs enough funds to add to the signings he has made. Its the same old story. I can see us playing better football but we still have the ***** players left over from last season

Hibbyradge
24-08-2014, 05:22 PM
I sit in the WU and hear no boo's. I see plenty of people of around me with their head in their hands

As you know, I had a season ticket in the West Upper for years. Before that, the FF, and before that, the old East terrace.

One of the main reasons I don't have one now is because of the poisonous atmosphere.

If the atmosphere at Easter Road is so bad that it deters long term loyal fans like me from attending, what must it be like for the players we're supposed to support?

You may not like threads which criticise the fans, Dave, but they're here for a reason.

Dismissing them would be folly.

The Green Goblin
24-08-2014, 05:36 PM

A lot of people on here still using the 'bedwetters' term or a variant thereof where the same people calling anyone who dared suggest we might be relegated last season the same thing.

Maybe those who are a bit negative about our current situation are actually correct, just like they were last season.

My thoughts too. There were so many posts slamming posters on here who expressed increasing concern as last season played out. I find it incredible that even now, having been beaten by all three of our nearest rivals, being able to count on one hand the number of players we have signed and loaned, sitting at 8th in the Scottish 2nd division and with Petrie still involved in the club and still sitting watching it all from his corporate seat, that posters and fans who still express their unhappiness and fear that we are still travelling in a downwards direction, are called 'pathetic', 'bedwetters' and all the rest. It's like there's a collective blindness, as if some people are in a state of denial. Look where we are. Look at our squad. Look at ST sales. Look at our "rivals". Does anyone on here really think that enough has been done to challenge for the league this year? And yet folks are getting pelters for saying so. I find it really bizarre.

NAE NOOKIE
24-08-2014, 05:44 PM

Like life.

Utterly correct sir.

In fact I would describe them as Blaggards, poltroons and acting in a way which is beyond the Pale. They swan about Easter Road like strutting Popinjays ..... popinjays I say sir.

I apologise to any ladies reading this for posting in such an ungentlemanly manner.

Itsnoteasy
24-08-2014, 05:45 PM

Yes I have had a wee boo on a few occasions, but explain to you why? You some sort of psychologist that is going to give me a lecture.

Turkish Green
24-08-2014, 05:58 PM
I agree. I love meringues.

Bishop Hibee
24-08-2014, 06:04 PM

Great post. The slow decline of our club has already led thousands to give up there STs. I'm sick of the 'but we palyed alright, we were unlucky" rubbish. We are staying down with performances like the second halves v Livi, Hertz and Falkirk.

I was the one shouting "PETRIE OUT" at the end. Our club is dying under his and Farmer's watch.

Frogga
24-08-2014, 06:07 PM
I don't think anyone is saying fans should never boo. The problem is how quick sections of our home crowd are to get on the team's back. We have one poor performance in 5 or 6 games and some fans are already panicking and looking for answers. It's not behaviour to be proud of. Also, some of the singling out of players is horrendous. I mean would you use some of that language towards staff in a restaurant or on a train if the service wasn't good enough?

B.H.F.C
24-08-2014, 06:15 PM
I don't think anyone is saying fans should never boo. The problem is how quick sections of our home crowd are to get on the team's back. We have one poor performance in 5 or 6 games and some fans are already panicking and looking for answers. It's not behaviour to be proud of. Also, some of the singling out of players is horrendous. I mean would you use some of that language towards staff in a restaurant or on a train if the service wasn't good enough?

If we had won more than once in those 5 or 6 games people may be more understanding. At the moment we are doing the same thing as we were last year, losing. Stubbs said at the end of last week on his Hibs TV interview that it was up to them to get the trust of the fans back. They haven't done nearly enough in that regard yet.

FWIW I'm behind Stubbs. I think he's doing the right things. But it's him that said it was all about results and he hasn't had enough of them so far. If we got off to a slow start this year there was always going to be elements of the crowd unhappy.

And having worked in a contact centre in the past I can confirm it's definitely not just football players that get abused by members of the public!

Nutmegged
24-08-2014, 06:20 PM

And the award for the most self righteous post of the year goes too...

Steve-O
24-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Ah, fair enough, didn't know he was back in Scotland.

OK, we'll agree to disagree. We certainly played well in the first half, no doubt. Second, I'm not convinced.

I'm going to bow out on this one. Folk can blame long suffering, loyal fans all they like. I think it's a flawed case but it polarises opinion so I'm out.

Indeed, I was there.

First half was better than second definitely, but we still had 3-4 good chances in second half.

I'm not saying the fans are 100% to blame, but as has been said many times, it's no wonder the players are bottlers when they only have to do something like pass the ball to the keeper to get booed / abused by absolute doughnuts in the stand.

madsen5
24-08-2014, 06:29 PM
I'll moan about things that are wrong if I want because for the past 6-7 years, alot (not everything) of what's went on has been a disgrace. And the people in charge don't give a toss. If they did, we'd have better players than the shower of pish that got us relegated.

Club doesn't wanted treated like a joke? Then they shouldn't behave like a joke club.
Haven't been back for 6 years along with
About another 3 thousand folk who had
Season tickets, took me almost 60 yrs to
Realise the club have no ambition.
When they show some myself and others
Will return. That is if there's still a club to
Return to .

Hibby 2005
24-08-2014, 06:57 PM
Yes I have had a wee boo on a few occasions, but explain to you why? You some sort of psychologist that is going to give me a lecture.

Me too had a boo, better than having a square go with someone sitting next to you.

GreenOnions
24-08-2014, 09:58 PM
I have to say I have changed my season ticket seat several times in recent seasons solely because there's always at least one person (and usually more) right beside me who spends the entire game criticising the club, complaining and moaning about everything that's happening, loudly abusing our players/managers etc etc. I haven't yet been able to find a seat where there isn't someone trying to drain every last ounce of enthuisiasm and positivity out of me.

I understand the sentiment of the OP but clearly everyone has a right to attend if they want to.

However, for me - I genuinely find many Hibs supporters more depressing than our results. It's a grim experience sitting listening to moaning and complaining and constant negativity for the duration of a game.

The frustration is entirely understandable but I always feel we need to ask ourselves whether or not our behaviour is actually helping the team or not.

I don't know what the solution is - perhaps we should have segregation for happy-clappers and doom and gloomers? ;-)

Stax
24-08-2014, 10:12 PM
I have to say I have changed my season ticket seat several times in recent seasons solely because there's always at least one person (and usually more) right beside me who spends the entire game criticising the club, complaining and moaning about everything that's happening, loudly abusing our players/managers etc etc. I haven't yet been able to find a seat where there isn't someone trying to drain every last ounce of enthuisiasm and positivity out of me.

I understand the sentiment of the OP but clearly everyone has a right to attend if they want to.

However, for me - I genuinely find many Hibs supporters more depressing than our results. It's a grim experience sitting listening to moaning and complaining and constant negativity for the duration of a game.

The frustration is entirely understandable but I always feel we need to ask ourselves whether or not our behaviour is actually helping the team or not.

I don't know what the solution is - perhaps we should have segregation for happy-clappers and doom and gloomers? ;-)
Why do do you thnk everywhere you've moved your seat you've been confronted with the same negativity?

GreenOnions
24-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Why do do you thnk everywhere you've moved your seat you've been confronted with the same negativity?

:tee hee: That's quite good I have to admit

CentreLine
24-08-2014, 10:28 PM
If people were wanting to make a statement that carries some credibility then they should give full and unwavering vocal support to the players wearing our jersey. But get coordinated enough to have a short one minute period of applause with a predetermined point. So for example if people know in advance that the point is Petrie Out and the whole home support joins in then The point is made with the minimum fuss and maximum effect. The whole of Scottish football would sit up and take note. As it is people shouting abuse in an inane way are just seen us a bunch of dafties with no credibility.

For best of both world get coordinate, make the point but get behind the team, win lose or draw

HFC 0-7
24-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Let's not forget that it's what the fans have been subjected too for so many years that has created the booing. The people need to take responsibility for that and they need to do something about it.

Every year we have threads like this at the start of the season, 'FFS give them a chance they are just in the door, it's not his team, they need time to gel, we never got our first choice signings'. The outcome has been that the season was a disappointment and the fans that were slated at the start of the season for criticising turned out to be correct in their assessment.

Hibs have created this, this, not the fans. The lack of ambition on the footballing side was only ever going to create this sort of apathy and annoyance in the fans. Hibs fans are tired of seeing other clubs overcome difficulties quicker and more effectively than us, most of the time with smaller budgets.

If we showed ambition, intent to win the league with signings of quality etc it would transfer to the stands. Instead we are left to watch hibs being 'unlucky' which really translates to not having good enough players to take chances. We are left watching a hibs side captained by a player who also captained a side, and contributed to an embarrassing season ending in relegation.

We we have been fed rubbish from various managers about changing cultures, mentality of the players etc but nothing changed. You can see what Stubbs is trying to do, trying to pass instead of hoof, but when the chips are down the players start reverting to old ways. Let's not forget we are in a league with poorer sides, we should expect us to win these games and not get intimidated.

Iain G
24-08-2014, 10:48 PM
Let's not forget that it's what the fans have been subjected too for so many years that has created the booing. The people need to take responsibility for that and they need to do something about it.

Every year we have threads like this at the start of the season, 'FFS give them a chance they are just in the door, it's not his team, they need time to gel, we never got our first choice signings'. The outcome has been that the season was a disappointment and the fans that were slated at the start of the season for criticising turned out to be correct in their assessment.

Hibs have created this, this, not the fans. The lack of ambition on the footballing side was only ever going to create this sort of apathy and annoyance in the fans. Hibs fans are tired of seeing other clubs overcome difficulties quicker and more effectively than us, most of the time with smaller budgets.

If we showed ambition, intent to win the league with signings of quality etc it would transfer to the stands. Instead we are left to watch hibs being 'unlucky' which really translates to not having good enough players to take chances. We are left watching a hibs side captained by a player who also captained a side, and contributed to an embarrassing season ending in relegation.

We we have been fed rubbish from various managers about changing cultures, mentality of the players etc but nothing changed. You can see what Stubbs is trying to do, trying to pass instead of hoof, but when the chips are down the players start reverting to old ways. Let's not forget we are in a league with poorer sides, we should expect us to win these games and not get intimidated.

New season, new manager, new coaches. Are you saying we shouldn't give them a chance? Just because we have been let down recently doesn't mean we should be writing off players/the manager/LD after only three league games, one of which we actually won!!

They need a chance and they need our support right now. :agree:

Thecat23
24-08-2014, 11:31 PM

How dare you speak sense like this. You better fall back into line and clap you you've never clapped before this Tuesday no matter what the score! Then come on here and praise the board or else. ;-)

HFC 0-7
24-08-2014, 11:46 PM
New season, new manager, new coaches. Are you saying we shouldn't give them a chance? Just because we have been let down recently doesn't mean we should be writing off players/the manager/LD after only three league games, one of which we actually won!!

They need a chance and they need our support right now. :agree:

Thats not what I am saying. The op is talking about the people that boo should stay away. My point is that there is a reason the fans are booing, years of utter rubbish on the pitch has taken its toll. There is still no intent being shown from the current board and owners. As per usual hibs are not ready for the start of the season whilst our rivals seem far better prepared. Fans have seen a change yes, but it's going to take more than a slight change to convince fans of a better future. There are a few constants at hibs, the owner, Petrie, some of the players but the mentality. Fans hope for change for the better, we are promised change for the better but there are never any real signs that change is about to happen.

We we must have cut the wage bill dramatically yet we see little activity in the transfer window. Again, our competitors doing more. The fans have sat back and waited on the performances, we have accepted poor seasons whilst stands and training facilities were built via borrowing and player sales all in the hope that money will now be spent on the team. It's just not happened and the fans now need a big gesture of intent from the club about how to progress. Not a faltering start to the season with little activity in the transfer window and having to watch a team still largely featuring players that were part of a relegated side.

The Green Goblin
25-08-2014, 01:09 AM
Was just watching the Sportscene highlights just now and Accies - Partick was on. Was that a chorus of boos I heard from the home stands when Accies scored their first AND second goals?? Surely not. It`s only our fans that do such things...and that`s why we are where we are etc. etc. etc.

The Green Goblin
25-08-2014, 01:10 AM
Thats not what I am saying. The op is talking about the people that boo should stay away. My point is that there is a reason the fans are booing, years of utter rubbish on the pitch has taken its toll. There is still no intent being shown from the current board and owners. As per usual hibs are not ready for the start of the season whilst our rivals seem far better prepared. Fans have seen a change yes, but it's going to take more than a slight change to convince fans of a better future. There are a few constants at hibs, the owner, Petrie, some of the players but the mentality. Fans hope for change for the better, we are promised change for the better but there are never any real signs that change is about to happen.

We we must have cut the wage bill dramatically yet we see little activity in the transfer window. Again, our competitors doing more. The fans have sat back and waited on the performances, we have accepted poor seasons whilst stands and training facilities were built via borrowing and player sales all in the hope that money will now be spent on the team. It's just not happened and the fans now need a big gesture of intent from the club about how to progress. Not a faltering start to the season with little activity in the transfer window and having to watch a team still largely featuring players that were part of a relegated side.

100% my thoughts word for word (except you wrote it better than I could have).

Iain G
25-08-2014, 01:43 AM

We need to try and support the changes that Stubbs and Leeann are promising, criticising and booing and vitriolic attacks during the game at Craig, Stubbs, Lewis are not productive right now. Yes confidence in the team is still fragile, Stubbs can't work miracles in 2 months, especially if Butcher and Fenlon have failed to instill a winning mentality or even confidence in this lot over the last two seasons.

By all means vent at the end of the game, but targetting it at our own players during the match is not productive or supportive, that should be targetted at the opposition players!

We as a fans need to support this team right now, they need a bit of help and encouragements and getting on their backs is only going to make Stubbs job harder to turn it around from last year.

GreenOnions
25-08-2014, 09:33 AM
This thread is as depressing as listening to the negativity in the stands during games. It saps the will to live almost more than our team's continued poor results.

One final point from me though - what I think some here are missing is that it seems to me we all agree that we have very good reason to be pissed-off and that our slide over the last few years has been painful to witness. The thing we disagree about is what's the most effective way for fans to help facilitate improvement.

JimBHibees
25-08-2014, 10:33 AM
We need to try and support the changes that Stubbs and Leeann are promising, criticising and booing and vitriolic attacks during the game at Craig, Stubbs, Lewis are not productive right now. Yes confidence in the team is still fragile, Stubbs can't work miracles in 2 months, especially if Butcher and Fenlon have failed to instill a winning mentality or even confidence in this lot over the last two seasons.

By all means vent at the end of the game, but targetting it at our own players during the match is not productive or supportive, that should be targetted at the opposition players!

We as a fans need to support this team right now, they need a bit of help and encouragements and getting on their backs is only going to make Stubbs job harder to turn it around from last year.

That is basically it. We need to support and have patience with the manager and the players in trying to develop a better more attractive style of play. This will take time. Please listen to the sort of timeline World class coaches like Van Gaal are talking about. Getting on players backs because they pass the ball back the way is beyond stupidity. We werent great in the second half on Saturday that is for sure however the fans IMO played their part in making it more difficult than it may have been.

vahibbie
25-08-2014, 10:52 AM

I remember the Tornadoes tried it. Seemed to work and hardly a boo in sight :)

Keith_M
25-08-2014, 11:05 AM
I totally get what the OP has said about abuse from the Stands. Expressions of dissapointment, moans and stuff are totally understandable but I think he's right that some people take it too far and create what can only be described as a poisonous atmosphere. I've had STs next to people like that in both the East and FF and they really were a pain in the neck for the other fans, never mind the players.

I disagree about coming on here to moan though. I think this is a much better place to let off steam than at the game. There's also no evidence to suggest that people whinging on here about our latest failure are necessarily abusing the players, they may well be getting behind them when actually at the game (a number of posters have said that's exactly what they do)

As for telling the minority of nutters not to come back, I'm not sure about that. Maybe Hibs could offer free therapy instead. :wink:

Mikey09
25-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Before I stopped going to Easter road you could set your watch for the first idiotic shout at the fandans scapegoat for that particular season..... Some think they are funny, some think they are experts and tactical geniuses. Most however are shouted with absolute venom. Football fans are the lifeblood of there club, everyone knows that. But some really need to think about the effect there negative ramblings have on there OWN PLAYERS during games. Instead of blowing a gasket if a player dares to miss a chance or mis place a pass, take a deep breath and encourage them.... You would be surprised at how such a small thing can pick a player up knowing they are being encouraged by there supporters rather than barracked and humiliated..... Mikey's opinion only!!! :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
25-08-2014, 12:07 PM
Before I stopped going to Easter road you could set your watch for the first idiotic shout at the fandans scapegoat for that particular season..... Some think they are funny, some think they are experts and tactical geniuses. Most however are shouted with absolute venom. Football fans are the lifeblood of there club, everyone knows that. But some really need to think about the effect there negative ramblings have on there OWN PLAYERS during games. Instead of blowing a gasket if a player dares to miss a chance or mis place a pass, take a deep breath and encourage them.... You would be surprised at how such a small thing can pick a player up knowing they are being encouraged by there supporters rather than barracked and humiliated..... Mikey's opinion only!!! :thumbsup:

It's not only your opinion, Mikey. :aok:

Alan62
25-08-2014, 12:49 PM
And the award for the most self righteous post of the year goes too...

Thank you, sir, always nice to be recognised by your peers.

And a nice healthy discussion too with lots of varying opinions along the way.

To reiterate my point, I believe that the whole atmosphere at home games would improve without the boo boys and the abusers. I think the players would respond better to positive encouragement and I think it would reduce the fear factor that does have an impact on performance. I also think it would be a more enjoyable experience for the majority who aren't hurling abuse at every slack pass or missed opportunity.

I also think that the reaction to the weekend's result was way out of kilter with the actual performance on the pitch. Anyone who can't see the progress that the team is making compared to last season's dross doesn't know anything about football.

And so, I stand by my post, self-righteous though it may be, if you're only going to abuse the team, don't come back.

HFC 0-7
25-08-2014, 01:10 PM
Let's not forget that this isn't just hibs where booing occurs, any team not getting results will have the booing. Football fans are passionate and the excitement to win and the hope for change easily boils over to disappointment. IMO, it's not unreasonable that we end up booing after what we have gone through. This is rectified by success on the pitch or real intent that can be seen from the owners in the form of funds to build a better team.

To say that these people should stay away is crazy, there was probably a thousand or so fans booing, take there £400 away each season and it won't help matters.

The Leith Dutch
25-08-2014, 05:05 PM

Wouldn't have used the 'bedwetter' term but last year I would have been likely to disagree with those suggesting we might be relegated and I'd stand by that - our relegation needed a run of results that was world class awful: the 18 league games following the derby win was W1 D5 L12 and even then we still had to blow a 2-0 lead at home in the play off.

The fact that we did get relegated - as deserved as it was - was not something that shows insight on the part of those who predicted it in my opinion.

The negativity this season for me is very well justified.

We're already adrift of the top clubs, our first XI isn't too bad by the standards of the division but also isn't great and the squad depth is frighteningly poor - an injury to El Alagui or David Gray would have a big effect particularly as the latter would probably mean moving Forster to RB and further weakening the centre.

jax67
25-08-2014, 05:19 PM
many years ago when i was editor of hibernian's matchday magazine, alex miller told me that he hated making comments immediately after the game. His view was that when you're caught up in the emotion of the match you tend to say things that you'll regret in the cold light of the next again day. Nodding in to hibs.net and the pitiful hibernian news facebook page last night and this morning, you can't fail to notice a collective hysteria that confirms mr miller's observations of all those years ago.

The signs were there at the game, mind. One nutter near me was so red in the face with anger that a heart attack seemed imminent. And the bams who moaned at every long ball under butcher, were equally critical of every pass that wasn't in a forward direction yesterday.

And then there was the booing at the end. It's become a ritual at easter road. I'm almost certain that one day we'll win handsomely and some kids raised on booing will deliver their customary farewell to the team in a pavlovian response to the final whistle.

Although the club needs the money, i would say if you're going to be greetin' faced for 90 minutes and explode into a tirade of abuse at every mistake, then don't come back. I am sure that those of us who want to see the team continue to develop the brand of football introduced by our new manager would rather watch from emptier stands than be surrounded by your negativity which does transfer to the pitch and makes the job of our players so much harder.

So there you go. Cut up your season ticket. Join your wife or boyfriend for a trip to ocean terminal on saturday afternoons. Go to the zoo and stare at the pandas. Ride back and forward on the tram to the airport. Do whatever you like but don't come to easter road and don't come on here or on facebook moaning about everything to do with hibernian football club. You're dragging us all down and we don't need you.

brilliant post!!

RedHibby
25-08-2014, 05:43 PM
I think all the supporters need to vent their anger at a board that is driving the club into oblivion.