PDA

View Full Version : Under the Radar

rcarter1
23-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Its not looking particularly encouraging for competing for the title, but, even if Hearts and Rangers take the title to the wire, and we finish miles behind in fourth we could end up being promoted. Im fairly convinced this is the clubs strategy, as we have clearly stated our intent to show no threat to our rivals in the transfer stakes.

Flying under the radar with a small squad, we must be keeping money back. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the two ugly monkeys find themselves in a spot of financial trouble should they not get promoted. As miserable as it sounds, the club are probably going with the most sensible (albeit frustratingly unambitious) route on this. The way we are (not spending) means we would survive another season in the Championship, Im less convinced about the other two.

In short we might need to sneak under the radar, bide our time, and hope we can nick it from under the noses of either Hearts or Rangers.

yankyhibby
23-08-2014, 11:00 PM
I don't believe for a second that Alan Stubbs would be happy having a 2nd rate squad for the whole season in the hope that we might nick flukey wins in a vague play off situation months down the line.

Ronniekirk
23-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Its not looking particularly encouraging for competing for the title, but, even if Hearts and Rangers take the title to the wire, and we finish miles behind in fourth we could end up being promoted. Im fairly convinced this is the clubs strategy, as we have clearly stated our intent to show no threat to our rivals in the transfer stakes.

Flying under the radar with a small squad, we must be keeping money back. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the two ugly monkeys find themselves in a spot of financial trouble should they not get promoted. As miserable as it sounds, the club are probably going with the most sensible (albeit frustratingly unambitious) route on this. The way we are (not spending) means we would survive another season in the Championship, Im less convinced about the other two.

In short we might need to sneak under the radar, bide our time, and hope we can nick it from under the noses of either Hearts or Rangers.
If we are flying under the radar ,Stealth is the word .:wink:

One Day Soon
23-08-2014, 11:02 PM

A promotion strategy akin to betting on 00 on a roulette wheel. Utterly mental and irresponsible if true.

emerald green
23-08-2014, 11:08 PM

What, it's our strategy to go out and lose matches so as to (hopefully/maybe) finish fourth? Have I got that right? If so, what has convinced you that's the club's strategy?

No offence intended mate but I find that quite ridiculous.

rcarter1
23-08-2014, 11:14 PM
A promotion strategy akin to betting on 00 on a roulette wheel. Utterly mental and irresponsible if true.

I agree with the first part - i.e. its hoping for a miracle. As for mental or irresponsible, it would take a lot of money to do anything else. Problem is both Rangers and Hearts have more money to build a squad. Trying to compete would require investment which at the moment isn't likely. I just feel that they have decided to accept defeat, with the hope that enough fans stick by the club the following season to make a move.

For the record, I have believed for the last few years that an ambitious move to invest in the squad could have kick started the team, and hence the fans, and payed dividends (as well as meaning we weren't relegated). My point is that the board have clearly decided that now is a particularly difficult time to try and buy our way out of trouble.

rcarter1
23-08-2014, 11:23 PM
What, it's our strategy to go out and lose matches so as to (hopefully/maybe) finish fourth? Have I got that right? If so, what has convinced you that's the club's strategy?

No offence intended mate but I find that quite ridiculous.

No worries! Im sure the club wants to win as many games as it can. However I think they are deliberately trying to cut costs by keeping a small squad, in spite of the knowledge that it will likely prevent us from mounting a real challenge for the title.

The upside to doing this, is that by finishing third or fourth still gives you a shot of promotion. Its a long shot, but low risk in terms of financial outlay.

To be fair Im underwhelmed by our rebuilding process for this season, and I think it is showing the clubs hand - i.e. hope for a miracle keep costs down.

emerald green
23-08-2014, 11:30 PM
No worries! Im sure the club wants to win as many games as it can. However I think they are deliberately trying to cut costs by keeping a small squad, in spite of the knowledge that it will likely prevent us from mounting a real challenge for the title.

The upside to doing this, is that by finishing third or fourth still gives you a shot of promotion. Its a long shot, but low risk in terms of financial outlay.

To be fair Im underwhelmed by our rebuilding process for this season, and I think it is showing the clubs hand - i.e. hope for a miracle keep costs down.

OK thanks for clarifying that for me. I sincerely hope you are wrong though! Especially the bit in bold.

Although having said that, I do agree that the squad as it currently stands has got no chance of winning the title IMO.

rcarter1
23-08-2014, 11:34 PM
OK thanks for clarifying that for me. I sincerely hope you are wrong though! Especially the bit in bold.

Although having said that, I do agree that the squad as it currently stands has got no chance of winning the title IMO.

I suppose that while the window is still open, it is difficult to call, but Stubbs himself has already commented on us having a small squad this season. Meanwhile Im hoping for a miracle!!

Deansy
23-08-2014, 11:36 PM

The 'Big Ugly Monkey' got away with approx £100m fraud/scam etc - their 'Lesser Ugly Monkeys' got away with approx £30-40m. Once the dust settled, both have continued as if nothing hadhappened and have signed enough players to field 2 teams. The only difference this time is that these clubs portrayed themselves as 'The Victims' (with help from the SMSM) which galvanised their supports.

So NO - I don't think financial problems will affect the 'Two Ugly Monkeys' as they're experts at them now.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-08-2014, 08:16 AM

Straw clutching at its best, or worst I suppose!

Forza Fred
24-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Straw clutching at its best, or worst I suppose!

:top marks

Pretty Boy
24-08-2014, 08:22 AM
I don't believe for a second that Alan Stubbs would be happy having a 2nd rate squad for the whole season in the hope that we might nick flukey wins in a vague play off situation months down the line.

I don't think Stubbs has much of a choice.

Financial constraints are dictating our transfer activity imo. It's the only explanation for the lack of it. Surely no one with the benefit of their eyesight can believe this squad is anywhere near good enough to compete for the title.

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-08-2014, 08:29 AM
More like a strategy for a two year stay in this league, hoping that both the diet and full fat Huns go up.

Septimus
24-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Problem with a strategy which accepts mediocrity during this season in the hope of sneaking promotion at the playoffs is that the support will refuse to accept it. Our base support is slowly leaching away and we will end up like East Fife, Dunfermline, Falkirk etc who were once teams who competed well at the top end of the league structure.

We may not be financially able to compete with Hearts or Rangers but Livingstone and Falkirk should be easy meat for us. If not, why not?

jacomo
24-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Perhaps this is an 'unseen' promotion bid? By cleverly losing some early games, Hibs will stay out of the limelight until a late charge to a play off place. :aok:

Alternatively, we could try and compete and win this eminently winnable league and get the crowds back. I guess that's just too obvious.

Spike Mandela
24-08-2014, 10:10 AM
My analysis of the current situation regarding the playing side at the moment is that Rangers and Hearts look like Premiership teams playing in the Championship. We look like a Championship team.

Eyrie
24-08-2014, 10:12 AM
More like a strategy for a two year stay in this league, hoping that both the diet and full fat Huns go up.

And if only one does then we're left to compete with the other next season which could mean a three year stay at minimum.

Last year I was looking forward to a financially hamstrung Hearts being stuck in the lower leagues for a few years with their fans losing interest and the resultant loss of income helping to keep them down.

Sad to say we're the ones being financially hamstrung by an unwillingness to spend money precisely when we need to, whilst the pub team's supporters have rallied to help get them out of here at the first attempt.

Sas_The_Hibby
24-08-2014, 10:26 AM

Suspect this may well be true and, in the current circumstances, sadly realistic.

IF this is the case, would it be better for the club just to come out and say "We hope to get promotion this year but can't afford to spend beyond our means and have to prepare for the possibility of being in the Championship for two seasons"? Would they then get slaughtered by the fans for lack of ambition or would fans appreciate being told it as it is? I suspect the first.

I'm definitely expecting to be in the Championship next season (not just because of a few early results) but I do fear for our future if we don't get back up after that, seeing us go the way of clubs like Dunfermline or Dundee (who, ironically, are at least in the SPL for now!). The fact that Hearts have got to walk away from £25m of debt or so, pretty well scot free is, of course totally unfair, but life isn't fair and we've only got ourselves to blame for now being in a worse situation than them.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-08-2014, 11:02 AM
What's the point in the loan signings if were "planning" for a 2 year stay?!

ekhibee
24-08-2014, 11:30 AM
I agree with Sas The Hibby regarding this. I fully expect us to remain in the Championship for at least another season if, as has widely been suggested, there is no more cash to improve the team. Although the small amount of new players have shown definite promise, our deficiences are already there for most of us to see. I don't blame Stubbs at all, but I'm really not interested in any more of those upbeat messages from Dempster until we can strengthen up the team. Just my opinion though.