PDA

View Full Version : Change of Mentality

thebausburst
23-08-2014, 06:17 PM
The main issue with Hibs for as long as I can remember is the mentality of the players. This is never so obvious than when we play Hearts, even when we have (in the past) had a superior team they have almost always had the mental strength / winning mentality.

We all know the OF have it, much as it pains me to admit it Hearts have it also, that play to the whistle we will get a goal approach. We can all go on about players and signings but the key thing that needs addressed is the weak/loser/settle for the draw or narrow defeat mentality around the club/players.

IMHO I don't think signing LG would transform all our problems, its the mentality that needs to change, we need to not be scared to lose and really attack this league if we're to have any serious impact. At present we're still tippy tapping around more in hope than expectation that something will happen, until that changes I sadly don't see us offering a serious challenge.

Alfred E Newman
23-08-2014, 06:27 PM
Hearts management and supporters genuinely think of themselves as a "big club" we don't. We ridicule them for that but I am afraid it is us that seem to be destined to be figures of fun .

hibbydog
23-08-2014, 07:04 PM
The main issue with Hibs for as long as I can remember is the mentality of the players. This is never so obvious than when we play Hearts, even when we have (in the past) had a superior team they have almost always had the mental strength / winning mentality.

We all know the OF have it, much as it pains me to admit it Hearts have it also, that play to the whistle we will get a goal approach. We can all go on about players and signings but the key thing that needs addressed is the weak/loser/settle for the draw or narrow defeat mentality around the club/players.

IMHO I don't think signing LG would transform all our problems, its the mentality that needs to change, we need to not be scared to lose and really attack this league if we're to have any serious impact. At present we're still tippy tapping around more in hope than expectation that something will happen, until that changes I sadly don't see us offering a serious challenge.

Agreed.

We should have a team packed full of blood thirsty animals who will give 100% effort, 100% of the time. Win at all costs. Push themselves beyond their limits.

That's what were up against. Teams who don't necessarily have better players, but they want it more. That's why we're in this mess.

bobbyhibs1983
23-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Alot of fair and good points Made by the O.P and i feel the mentality has went downhill since 2007 and the john collings , going to rod.

Imo it seemed that people at the club did not want to better themself.And this is a mega problem ,I feel things at hibs are just accepted, weather its bad decisions against heartz which instead of doing something about it, we as a club accepted it.

It just seems , people running our club just accept things, Okay we got relegated, we sacked the manager but how many people from last season are still here?

It seems to me quite a few of the players and that says to me, ""ah dont worry got related, ah well i ll get paid at the end of the week(or month)

I tihnk someone must stand up and say ok these are the standards at our club accept them and you ll do ok
dont accept them ok you leave the club we rip up your contract(though how easy that is is prob a problem to be fair!)

ian omand
23-08-2014, 08:03 PM

TBB if I can relay a comparison to you that might sum up the difference between us and them and I have no reason to doubt it bearing in mind our recent success. It is this on the eve of the cup final between us hertz had a film show where they showed all the players goals scored against against us then backed this up with former players telling them how important it was for them to win. In our hotel the players were arguing with the club owners about bonuses, don't swear but consider how you have been conned by these charlatans for so long.

LaMotta
23-08-2014, 08:23 PM

Basically, all you are saying is we need to buy better players.

thebausburst
23-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Basically, all you are saying is we need to buy better players.

No i'm not, its the attitude/mentality at the club that needs to change. Yes every club wants/needs good players, but surely we are massive underachievers even with what we have had at our disposal in recent years. Did we have the worst SPL side last season, no yet look where we finished, repeated managers have criticised the attitude/mentality at the club, as have outside pundits and managers despite this nothing has changed. We've all said in the past Hibs sign players who were performing well before they came to us and then under-perform or are just poor Liam Craig being the most obvious recent example. IMHO it won't matter a huge amount who we sign unless Stubbs and staff can address the attitude/mentality, until this is addressed I fear we will still be on these forums discussing the same moans and groans season in season out.

LaMotta
23-08-2014, 09:41 PM
No i'm not, its the attitude/mentality at the club that needs to change. Yes every club wants/needs good players, but surely we are massive underachievers even with what we have had at our disposal in recent years. Did we have the worst SPL side last season, no yet look where we finished, repeated managers have criticised the attitude/mentality at the club, as have outside pundits and managers despite this nothing has changed. We've all said in the past Hibs sign players who were performing well before they came to us and then under-perform or are just poor Liam Craig being the most obvious recent example. IMHO it won't matter a huge amount who we sign unless Stubbs and staff can address the attitude/mentality, until this is addressed I fear we will still be on these forums discussing the same moans and groans season in season out.

But players with a weak mentality are just poor players. Sign better players we will get better results. Liam Craig as a superstar before he came to Hibs is a myth. I thought Butcher hired a sports psychologist? Didn't do much good.

Do you really think attitude/mentality has been our downfall since 2007? Its just a lack of investment in quality players, and the board is to blame.

Alfred E Newman
23-08-2014, 09:55 PM
But players with a weak mentality are just poor players. Sign better players we will get better results. Liam Craig as a superstar before he came to Hibs is a myth. I thought Butcher hired a sports psychologist? Didn't do much good.

Do you really think attitude/mentality has been our downfall since 2007? Its just a lack of investment in quality players, and the board is to blame.

As has been stated many times, plenty money has been made available to managers and they have all squandered it on poor signings.
I heard the St Johnstone manager after today's game singing the praises of Steven McLean saying that he thinks he is the best leader of a forward line in the Premier . When McLean was a free agent he was desperate to sign for Hibs but Fenlon did not fancy him. He goes and buys Collins for 150k.