PDA

View Full Version : Boo Boys

Pages : 1 [2]

CallumLaidlaw
28-08-2014, 10:12 AM
I think the comments Stubbs makes about the crowd at the end of this interview really has to be listened to. He's not criticising the booing/criticism as such, just saying how much better it is for the players to have the crowd roaring them on.
He also talks about the impact a negative crowd can have on a player, in his book. Basically saying that players can hear individual comments and it's impossible for it not to affect them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujW2Bxsb_PY&list=UUXKLs14yjDc5s7GJ1txkWxw

Whether the players DESERVE cheering on at times isn't the argument to me, it's the fact that getting on their back is only going to be detrimental to the performance. And it's ok to say they need to toughen up etc, but their is not a person I know that thinks that criticising someone is going to help their performance - in ANY line of work.
Some seem quick to criticize Butcher for his bully boy style but then adopt the same attitude from the stands.

J-C
28-08-2014, 10:35 AM
I think the comments Stubbs makes about the crowd at the end of this interview really has to be listened to. He's not criticising the booing/criticism as such, just saying how much better it is for the players to have the crowd roaring them on.
He also talks about the impact a negative crowd can have on a player, in his book. Basically saying that players can hear individual comments and it's impossible for it not to affect them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujW2Bxsb_PY&list=UUXKLs14yjDc5s7GJ1txkWxw

Whether the players DESERVE cheering on at times isn't the argument to me, it's the fact that getting on their back is only going to be detrimental to the performance. And it's ok to say they need to toughen up etc, but their is not a person I know that thinks that criticising someone is going to help their performance - in ANY line of work.
Some seem quick to criticize Butcher for his bully boy style but then adopt the same attitude from the stands.

Against Falkirk when we were 1 down the crowd got behind them and cheered tham off at half time, we continually encouraged them for the 1st 20 mins of the 2nd half until some of the crowd got a bit peed off when there was nothing coming from the players, the pace was pedestrian and our captain was more bothered about passing sideways and back instead of getting the ball forward looking for an equaliser. This all goes both ways for me, I myself don't boo as I don't see any reason to do so, I sit in my seat and have a good old moan with the people around me, if the players show more passion and willingness to win games then the crowd will show more willingness to back them the full 90 mins.

silverhibee
28-08-2014, 12:19 PM
You never have anything constructive to add, do you?

You should hear me at games. :wink:

Put me on ignore if you dislike my posts. :aok:

Eyrie
28-08-2014, 07:01 PM
If booing the players helped then we'd be looking forward to the Champions League group stages with Butcher.

If booing the players is a problem then we'd be looking forward to a trip to Alloa with Stubbs.

I wonder how many on here or in the stands would find it beneficial to be constantly criticised by their employer or customers?

lord bunberry
28-08-2014, 08:02 PM
If booing the players helped then we'd be looking forward to the Champions League group stages with Butcher.

If booing the players is a problem then we'd be looking forward to a trip to Alloa with Stubbs.

I wonder how many on here or in the stands would find it beneficial to be constantly criticised by their employer or customers?
How many on here would still have employers or customers if they were so poor at their job?
Booing and harassing players is never going to do any good, but the fans need to see a team worth supporting.

OsloHibs
28-08-2014, 09:17 PM
Ian Murray said before the game (quote) "I want to get the ER crowd on the Hibs players backs". Well it didn't work this time!

Northernhibee
28-08-2014, 09:25 PM
You should hear me at games. :wink:

Put me on ignore if you dislike my posts. :aok:

Just make sure that when we win your first thought isn't to reply to my posts. I appreciate it and all but it's a bit creepy.

silverhibee
28-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Ian Murray said before the game (quote) "I want to get the ER crowd on the Hibs players backs". Well it didn't work this time!

It's a quote you hear a lot of managers saying when they are going to play bigger teams, most managers in Scotland will normally say this when they play the old firm.

OsloHibs
28-08-2014, 09:41 PM
It's a quote you hear a lot of managers saying when they are going to play bigger teams, most managers in Scotland will normally say this when they play the old firm.

I'll look for the same quote when he goes to Tynecastle in a fortnight. Wonder if he'll say it there?

silverhibee
28-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Just make sure that when we win your first thought isn't to reply to my posts. I appreciate it and all but it's a bit creepy.

You have a high opinion of yourself if you think that, but if i think you are talking nonsense i will say so okay.

It's a message board get used to it, i think you were being a drama queen about our support and highlighted how good our support was last Saturday, you tend to like to have a dig at Hibs fans a lot of times and i defend them by saying they are the best after what we have been put through for a number of years by the players/managers, glad the boo boys stayed away on Tuesday. :aok:

silverhibee
28-08-2014, 10:09 PM
I'll look for the same quote when he goes to Tynecastle in a fortnight. Wonder if he'll say it there?

I wonder if he will, it has been known for the tramps to have a go at there young players and the experienced ones as well, it just doesn't happen at ER.

Danderhall Hibs
28-08-2014, 10:11 PM
I wonder if he will, it has been known for the tramps to have a go at there young players and the experienced ones as well, it just doesn't happen at ER.

What doesn't? Thought you said no one boos at ER? :wink:

tamig
28-08-2014, 10:23 PM
You have a high opinion of yourself if you think that, but if i think you are talking nonsense i will say so okay.

It's a message board get used to it, i think you were being a drama queen about our support and highlighted how good our support was last Saturday, you tend to like to have a dig at Hibs fans a lot of times and i defend them by saying they are the best after what we have been put through for a number of years by the players/managers, glad the boo boys stayed away on Tuesday. :aok:
There was a lot of booing for large parts of the second half on Saturday. A lot of folk heard it and have mentioned it on this thread. Its not a figment of NHs imagination. I thought it was out of order. It happened and was a disgrace.

silverhibee
28-08-2014, 10:35 PM
There was a lot of booing for large parts of the second half on Saturday. A lot of folk heard it and have mentioned it on this thread. Its not a figment of NHs imagination. I thought it was out of order. It happened and was a disgrace.

It happened about the 75th minute when Craig passed the ball back to the goalie, at half time the team were clapped of the park and when Falkirk scored the fans got behind the team and gave them encouragement, the pass back from Craig brought a few boos but over the 90 minutes the fans done there bit by backing the team like they have being doing in all games this season, folk saying players are getting booed and heckled before they have kicked a ball are talking nonsense and being drama queens, there is also folk on this thread who are of the same opinion as me and thought that the players were getting plenty of backing. :aok:

silverhibee
28-08-2014, 10:36 PM
What doesn't? Thought you said no one boos at ER? :wink:

I'm to busy supporting the team to hear it. :wink:

J-C
28-08-2014, 10:46 PM

I sit in the east and there was a lot of moaning and shouting at the players around 75 mins as SH said, no booing from the east just a quite a lot telling certain players to get their fingers out and stop passing either sideways or backwards. If they had shown a bit of spirit and fight, that would never have happened, we are fed up to the back teeth of these overly soft wimps who play for our club and if they don't at least look like they're trying, the fans will get on their backs.

Funny how Kennedy a new player here was never booed or moaned at why?? because he showed us some spirit and fight in his play and attitude, make of that what you will.

matty_f
29-08-2014, 06:28 AM
I sit in the east and there was a lot of moaning and shouting at the players around 75 mins as SH said, no booing from the east just a quite a lot telling certain players to get their fingers out and stop passing either sideways or backwards. If they had shown a bit of spirit and fight, that would never have happened, we are fed up to the back teeth of these overly soft wimps who play for our club and if they don't at least look like they're trying, the fans will get on their backs.

Funny how Kennedy a new player here was never booed or moaned at why?? because he showed us some spirit and fight in his play and attitude, make of that what you will.

When Kennedy tried something and it never came off he got applauded for trying it and some appreciation from the crowd.

Harris, Craig got pelters in the same situation. I witnessed it, it happened on more than one occasion as well.

End result is Kennedy kept at it and got motm, whereas Harris and Craig just focused on not making a mistake.

J-C
29-08-2014, 07:27 AM
When Kennedy tried something and it never came off he got applauded for trying it and some appreciation from the crowd.

Harris, Craig got pelters in the same situation. I witnessed it, it happened on more than one occasion as well.

End result is Kennedy kept at it and got motm, whereas Harris and Craig just focused on not making a mistake.

In Harris's case, I think it all stemmed from when he bottled it in the 50-50 challenge with the keeper, he started to bet pelters from the East after that and Craig started getting it when he came far too deep and was passing the ball sideways and back like an extra defender instead of moving it forward looking for a goal. As I said no booing heard where I was just players getting it tight for seemingly no urgency and always playing the safe option.

hibsbollah
29-08-2014, 08:39 AM
It happened about the 75th minute when Craig passed the ball back to the goalie, at half time the team were clapped of the park and when Falkirk scored the fans got behind the team and gave them encouragement, the pass back from Craig brought a few boos but over the 90 minutes the fans done there bit by backing the team like they have being doing in all games this season, folk saying players are getting booed and heckled before they have kicked a ball are talking nonsense and being drama queens, there is also folk on this thread who are of the same opinion as me and thought that the players were getting plenty of backing. :aok:

I heard booing well before the 75th minute, so did Northern, sunshine on leith, jane says, tamig and others on this thread. Just because you didnt hear it doesnt mean it didnt happen. You seem to have a personality clash with northern but just calling other people liars and drama queens because they dont fit your agenda is out of order, in my opinion.

It sounds like the Dumbarton atmosphere was much better, which is encouraging. It wouldnt be the first time a smaller attendance has weeded out the moaners and left the 'better' supporters.

cmcd
29-08-2014, 08:50 AM
In Harris's case, I think it all stemmed from when he bottled it in the 50-50 challenge with the keeper, he started to bet pelters from the East after that and Craig started getting it when he came far too deep and was passing the ball sideways and back like an extra defender instead of moving it forward looking for a goal. As I said no booing heard where I was just players getting it tight for seemingly no urgency and always playing the safe option.
Where i sit in the FF lower there were fans moaning early on about passing sideways and backwards WHY Some of the best teams in the world do it to keep a hold of the ball until they see an opening These same supporters slated Butcher for hoofball

J-C
29-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Where i sit in the FF lower there were fans moaning early on about passing sideways and backwards WHY Some of the best teams in the world do it to keep a hold of the ball until they see an opening These same supporters slated Butcher for hoofball

problem being they were still playing like that with 10 mins to go and 0-1 down, needed urgency and forward passing, that's when I heard a lot of people getting on their backs.

Hibbyradge
29-08-2014, 09:24 AM
problem being they were still playing like that with 10 mins to go and 0-1 down, needed urgency and forward passing, that's when I heard a lot of people getting on their backs.

What's needed in those circumstances is patience, professionalism and guile. Just like our aproach before the first goal on Tuesday.

Urgent up and at 'email football keeps the fans happy, but is usually predictable and straightforward enough to defend against.

silverhibee
29-08-2014, 09:39 AM
I heard booing well before the 75th minute, so did Northern, sunshine on leith, jane says, tamig and others on this thread. Just because you didnt hear it doesnt mean it didnt happen. You seem to have a personality clash with northern but just calling other people liars and drama queens because they dont fit your agenda is out of order, in my opinion.

It sounds like the Dumbarton atmosphere was much better, which is encouraging. It wouldnt be the first time a smaller attendance has weeded out the moaners and left the 'better' supporters.

What agenda do i have, I'm not the one slating the fans at every turn.

Yeah Dumbarton was much better but it still had a few bams, but they were drowned out by the drummer and the folk getting behind the team.

Our fans are no worse than any other supporters in the football world.

cmcd
29-08-2014, 09:48 AM
What's needed in those circumstances is patience, professionalism and guile. Just like our aproach before the first goal on Tuesday.

Urgent up and at 'email football keeps the fans happy, but is usually predictable and straightforward enough to defend against.
Couldn`t agree more

SunshineOnLeith
29-08-2014, 10:33 AM

Let me preface this by saying I wasn't one of these people and don't advocate their behaviour. But the way Hibs were passing sideways and backwards on Tuesday night so incredibly slow and laboured, and every player off the ball was walking rather than running into space. It bore absolutely no resemblance to the way top teams retain possession.

Hibbyradge
29-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Couldn`t agree more

Try. :greengrin

Hibbyradge
29-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Let me preface this by saying I wasn't one of these people and don't advocate their behaviour. But the way Hibs were passing sideways and backwards on Tuesday night so incredibly slow and laboured, and every player off the ball was walking rather than running into space. It bore absolutely no resemblance to the way top teams retain possession.

This is what Alan Stubbs was referring to in his interview.

Players are lacking confidence so they play the easiest, safest pass.

With more support from the fans, and less criticism, confidence will rise and players will be less and less afraid to try things.

J-C
29-08-2014, 10:38 AM

I never said up and at em football, I said more urgent and more forward thinking, the ball being passed side or back with almost zero pace when we're wanting a goal to get back into the game will get the fans annoyed and on their backs, they did the slow patient stuff for 80 mins and it didn't work, sometimes a change in tact is needed to unlock a defence.

WhileTheChief..
29-08-2014, 11:07 AM

Spot on. And yet reading through this you would think we are the only ones that ever boo their own team.

We probably have more fans that like to blame their own fans for everything than any other supporters in the world!

emerald green
29-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Spot on. And yet reading through this you would think we are the only ones that ever boo their own team.

We probably have more fans that like to blame their own fans for everything than any other supporters in the world!

:agree: What is this fixation that some posters on these forums have about criticising their fellow supporters? I just don't get it.

I'll say it one more time. Hibs fans are no better, and no worse, than football fans anywhere. If and when there is booing, it's because some fans simply get frustrated that things are not going well for the team they genuinely want to see doing well.

This isn't something unique to ER. I sometimes wonder if these posters have ever attended a football match, as a neutral perhaps, at other grounds around the country. If they have, they will be aware surely that all club's fans - at least a percentage of them - will and do give their own club's players criticism when they are not playing well and losing football matches. Celtic fans were doing it the other night FFS.

In recent seasons in particular, the quality of football on the pitch and the run of disastrous and embarrassing results at ER, has resulted in some fans booing. Why on earth are they in the least bit surprised about this?

Before I get slaughtered, no I don't condone booing, but I know it happens everywhere and understand the reasons for it. If Hibs were playing great football and winning all the time there would be no booing, but that's living in la-la land.

lord bunberry
29-08-2014, 11:41 AM
What agenda do i have, I'm not the one slating the fans at every turn.

Yeah Dumbarton was much better but it still had a few bams, but they were drowned out by the drummer and the folk getting behind the team.

Pish, we're the worst fans in the world, I read it on here from people who go to Easter Road at least 4 times a season. Fact.

Northernhibee
29-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Pish, we're the worst fans in the world, I read it on here from people who go to Easter Road at least 4 times a season. Fact.

Well, I've not said that we're the worst fans in the world but we are bad for getting on the players backs.

I go to more games than four a season (in fact, it costs me a lot of money for travel to games, tickets and all the things that come with it each time) and work a job which involves weekends because it's well paid and I want my kids to have a more comfortable upbringing than I ever did but maybe it's that that allows more of a perspective - by not getting used to the surroundings perhaps it's easier to see the atmosphere get tense quickly and so forth.

I want to see Hibs at their very best at the highest level, just like anyone else. This sarcastic nonsense helps nobody.

tamig
29-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Well, I've not said that we're the worst fans in the world but we are bad for getting on the players backs.

I go to more games than four a season (in fact, it costs me a lot of money for travel to games, tickets and all the things that come with it each time) and work a job which involves weekends because it's well paid and I want my kids to have a more comfortable upbringing than I ever did but maybe it's that that allows more of a perspective - by not getting used to the surroundings perhaps it's easier to see the atmosphere get tense quickly and so forth.

I want to see Hibs at their very best at the highest level, just like anyone else. This sarcastic nonsense helps nobody.

Spot on. :agree:

emerald green
29-08-2014, 06:50 PM

No we are not. We are no better, and no worse, than any other club's fans IMO. See my post above.

Northernhibee
29-08-2014, 07:08 PM
No we are not. We are no better, and no worse, than any other club's fans IMO. See my post above.

You see, you have your opinions and I have mine. But Stuart McCall was reported on here to be in a position where he wouldn't consider the Hibs job because of it and we've seen reported also that many opposition managers instruct that stifling the game early on works to the oppositions advantage.

Irrelevant of how much impact the booing and heckling has, wouldn't it be nice to make Easter Road a more fun and enjoyable place to go and support Hibs again anyway?

emerald green
29-08-2014, 07:32 PM
You see, you have your opinions and I have mine. But Stuart McCall was reported on here to be in a position where he wouldn't consider the Hibs job because of it and we've seen reported also that many opposition managers instruct that stifling the game early on works to the oppositions advantage.

Irrelevant of how much impact the booing and heckling has, wouldn't it be nice to make Easter Road a more fun and enjoyable place to go and support Hibs again anyway?

Absolutely agree we have different opinions on this. Not a problem. It's what the forum is for.

What you say about opposition managers instructing their players could be said about many clubs, not just Hibs. I've heard umpteen managers over the years saying that's what they try to do when they go to Celtic Park and/or Ibrox for example, and this would get their fans on their backs. Hibs fans are no different from any other club's fans in this regard IMO.

I agree. I long for the day when nobody ever feels the need to ever boo, criticise, or heckle any Hibs player, but I simply don't believe that's realistic. Some supporters go over the score, some sit and say nothing. In a crowd of thousands of different individuals at a football match, that's what happens.

cmcd
29-08-2014, 08:48 PM
For my reply see post 271 We have a much better chance of getting a result by passing the ball (at any pace) than punting the ball up the park in hope We will probably never agree on this but having watched Hibs for many years i can assure you the Tornadoes did not always pass the ball forward at pace They were patient and willing to hold on to the ball until an opportunity arose

Hiber-nation
29-08-2014, 08:52 PM

Says more about Stuart McCall. It's the expectation levels. No other club has underachieved like Hibs have done. I absolutely hate to hear it but it was hard to blame folk booing last season considering the position we found ourselves in. Let's hope Tuesday night is the shape of things to come.

Argylehibby
29-08-2014, 09:53 PM

Why are you happy to accept that we are no better than fans of other clubs? Should we not strive to be better than the rest? Many on here don't accept that lack of ambition from players and management so why should we accept it from the fans?

emerald green
30-08-2014, 11:14 AM
Why are you happy to accept that we are no better than fans of other clubs? Should we not strive to be better than the rest? Many on here don't accept that lack of ambition from players and management so why should we accept it from the fans?

See the last sentence of my last post above.

Regarding your question in bold above, what is it you are suggesting? Are you saying any views expressed by other supporters that you don't approve of shouldn't be allowed? How do you propose it (booing and/or criticising players) should be stopped?

PS: I'm not saying booing is good, or condoning it. I'm just saying that it happens, especially whenever a team is playing badly and getting beat week after week, and I understand why it happens.

Phil D. Rolls
30-08-2014, 11:33 AM

Is it because players and management get paid, whereas other fans don't?

The Green Goblin
30-08-2014, 05:33 PM
So basically, we have LOST:

AWAY to Rangers
AWAY to Hearts
AWAY to Alloa

We have WON:

HOME against Livingston
HOME against Dumbarton

But according to a good number on here, it`s the negative attitude of many fans at ER which is contributing to our poor results.

:hmmm:

superbam
30-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Support sounded superb today on the commentary, even after the Alloa equalizer. The club don't deserve it.

hibsbollah
30-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Support sounded superb today on the commentary, even after the Alloa equalizer. The club don't deserve it.

I've never been in an away Hibs support that hasn't been noisy and up for it. Its completely irrelevant to the dire atmosphere at recent home games.

SlickShoes
30-08-2014, 05:43 PM
I was at the game today and the players fully deserved every single boo they got

basehibby
30-08-2014, 05:51 PM
I was at the game today and the players fully deserved every single boo they got

:agree: I am never usually a fan of the booing contingent but hope that shower of imposters were booed to the rafters at FT today - shower of spineless *****bags that they are :fuming:

cabbageandribs1875
30-08-2014, 05:56 PM

AWAY to Rangers
AWAY to Hearts
AWAY to Alloa

We have WON:

HOME against Livingston
HOME against Dumbarton

But according to a good number on here, it`s the negative attitude of many fans at ER which is contributing to our poor results.

strange one ain't it :agree:

Stax
30-08-2014, 06:15 PM
I thought we backed the team brilliantly today. One of the few positives today was the atmosphere and my 11 year old experiencing a terrace / behind the goals away day. The team were booed at the end only, and rightly so IMO. Even then it wasn't ottp.

Sir David Gray
30-08-2014, 06:25 PM

AWAY to Rangers
AWAY to Hearts
AWAY to Alloa

We have WON:

HOME against Livingston
HOME against Dumbarton

We also lost at HOME to Falkirk.

Not trying to prove a point either way but just saying.

Pretty Boy
30-08-2014, 06:32 PM
Support was excellent today until the final whistle when every single boo was justified and then some.

Our problems are on the pitch not in the stands.

The Green Goblin
30-08-2014, 06:37 PM
We also lost at HOME to Falkirk.

Not trying to prove a point either way but just saying.

Quite right Trig, but looking at our results so far this season, I would argue that that result is an exception to the overall rule of the point I was making.

Blackfordhibby
30-08-2014, 08:18 PM

AWAY to Rangers
AWAY to Hearts
AWAY to Alloa

We have WON:

HOME against Livingston
HOME against Dumbarton

How about the Falkirk game at home,(selective amnesia)? That was the game that caused me to start this thread. It looks as though you either do or don't boo the players. A case of you pays your money and makes your choices. I really don't see the point in booing players who are neither capable nor good enough to be Hibs players. It surely isn't their fault that they aren't good enough, lots of people get paid for doing a crap job. You need to look at who gave them the job, if some twat offered me a shed load of dosh to traipse around ER I'd do it. These guys may be brilliant in the Third Division or **** hot for Auchterarder Primrose everyone has a level. If someone gives you the chance at a higher level it's human nature to take it till your found out.

Peter

The Green Goblin
30-08-2014, 08:48 PM
How about the Falkirk game at home,(selective amnesia)? That was the game that caused me to start this thread. It looks as though you either do or don't boo the players. A case of you pays your money and makes your choices. I really don't see the point in booing players who are neither capable nor good enough to be Hibs players. It surely isn't their fault that they aren't good enough, lots of people get paid for doing a crap job. You need to look at who gave them the job, if some twat offered me a shed load of dosh to traipse around ER I'd do it. These guys may be brilliant in the Third Division or **** hot for Auchterarder Primrose everyone has a level. If someone gives you the chance at a higher level it's human nature to take it till your found out.

Peter

I acknowledged the Falkirk game when Trig pointed it out to me (see above). It doesn`t change the fact that our results away from home this season (3 defeats in 3 games) have been worse than our results at home (1 defeat and 2 wins), suggesting that it is not the case that Hibs playing in front of their own fans at home is a disadvantage because the crowd are not supportive enough. The results bear that out. It`s a very straightforward and clear point I am making.

The rest of your post seems to be an acknowledgement that many of our current team are not good enough and goes on to suggest that this is not their own fault, therefore we shouldn`t let them know what we think when they let us down. I find that a very strange argument. Are we meant to shrug our shoulders meekly after yet another defeat, smile and say "ach well, the lads on the park aren`t very good are they, so there`s no point in getting upset about it"? :confused:

To be clear, and as I haven`t stated this on the thread before now, I agree that booing or shouting abuse at our own players during the game doesn`t help anyone and I am dead against it. Personally, I have never booed Hibs players during a game. Ever. But I do think that if a performance has been really poor, as many have been of late, and if the players have let the playing public down, then the fans have the right to express that at the final whistle.

Argylehibby
30-08-2014, 11:28 PM
See the last sentence of my last post above.

Regarding your question in bold above, what is it you are suggesting? Are you saying any views expressed by other supporters that you don't approve of shouldn't be allowed? How do you propose it (booing and/or criticising players) should be stopped?

PS: I'm not saying booing is good, or condoning it. I'm just saying that it happens, especially whenever a team is playing badly and getting beat week after week, and I understand why it happens.

Absolutely not. My opinion is that booing the team is wrong, it doesn't help the team in any way and is more likely to aid the opposition but others seem to think it's OK. That's their opinion and their entitled to it and to express it, just as I am entitled to mine and to express mine.

My point earlier was simply what was written, no hidden messages. You say our fans are no better and no worse than any others. That may be right, it may be wrong, however being no worse than the rest is not a particularly high target to set yourself is it? If the board came out with that as a target for the team we would be going mental and quite rightly so. I don't know how to stop the boo boys, asking politely doesn't work, giving reasoned (again in my opinion) arguments doesn't work so perhaps suggesting that we aim to be better than the rest might. :wink:

As someone said before it's small margins and if positive crowds can help Olympic and Commonwealth Games athletes produce personal best performances surely the same could work for Hibs? I've never heard anyone say their own fans booing encouraged them to perform better.

Todays performance was one of the worst I have witnessed from a Hibs team in many a year and in fairness to those at the game there were relatively few boos or negative shouts directed at individual players. Of course I can understand the frustration and I'm not saying it's easy to channel that frustration to encourage rather than criticise but our team needs all the help it can get just now.

Argylehibby
30-08-2014, 11:36 PM
The rest of your post seems to be an acknowledgement that many of our current team are not good enough and goes on to suggest that this is not their own fault, therefore we shouldn`t let them know what we think when they let us down. I find that a very strange argument. Are we meant to shrug our shoulders meekly after yet another defeat, smile and say "ach well, the lads on the park aren`t very good are they, so there`s no point in getting upset about it"? :confused:

I think the point that is being made is that the players may indeed not be good enough but if they are the best we have and their playing to the best of their ability the fault lies with the people who brought them to the club and those that play them not with the player. If the Hibs manager wants to sign me, give me £3k a week and ask me to play right wing for Hibs I'd play. I wouldn't be good enough (by a long way!) but is it my fault or the managers fault that I am on the pitch?

portyhibernian
30-08-2014, 11:54 PM
If the stadium was empty we'd still be losing. We are football fans no different or any more or less fickle than any other teams fans. Anyone who thinks WE the fans are to blame for the team playing poorly, please open your ****ing eyes.

buktapurple79
31-08-2014, 10:25 AM
If the stadium was empty we'd still be losing. We are football fans no different or any more or less fickle than any other teams fans. Anyone who thinks WE the fans are to blame for the team playing poorly, please open your ****ing eyes.

Couldn't agree more. Not one for booing players but they are the ones paid well to represent our club and do the business.

J-C
31-08-2014, 10:28 AM
Players react differently to being either booed or shouted at from the stands, Griffiths for instance decided to shut up the boo boys by playing better and scoring goals and when he did, he gave them all the GIRUY sign which he got into trouble for. Personally that's the type of player I want at ER, one who says sod you lot, I'll show you what I can do and shuts up the boo boys with actions.

emerald green
31-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Absolutely not. My opinion is that booing the team is wrong, it doesn't help the team in any way and is more likely to aid the opposition but others seem to think it's OK. That's their opinion and their entitled to it and to express it, just as I am entitled to mine and to express mine.

My point earlier was simply what was written, no hidden messages. You say our fans are no better and no worse than any others. That may be right, it may be wrong, however being no worse than the rest is not a particularly high target to set yourself is it? If the board came out with that as a target for the team we would be going mental and quite rightly so. I don't know how to stop the boo boys, asking politely doesn't work, giving reasoned (again in my opinion) arguments doesn't work so perhaps suggesting that we aim to be better than the rest might. :wink:

As someone said before it's small margins and if positive crowds can help Olympic and Commonwealth Games athletes produce personal best performances surely the same could work for Hibs? I've never heard anyone say their own fans booing encouraged them to perform better.

Todays performance was one of the worst I have witnessed from a Hibs team in many a year and in fairness to those at the game there were relatively few boos or negative shouts directed at individual players. Of course I can understand the frustration and I'm not saying it's easy to channel that frustration to encourage rather than criticise but our team needs all the help it can get just now.

I take on board the points you are making, but we could debate this point until the cows come home and never entirely agree I suspect. I've posted repeatedly on this point and I'm bowing out on this now.

At the end of the day Hibs problems are on the pitch, and in the boardroom, not in the stands IMO. The fans have done as much as could reasonably be expected.

silverhibee
31-08-2014, 11:21 AM
Players react differently to being either booed or shouted at from the stands, Griffiths for instance decided to shut up the boo boys by playing better and scoring goals and when he did, he gave them all the GIRUY sign which he got into trouble for. Personally that's the type of player I want at ER, one who says sod you lot, I'll show you what I can do and shuts up the boo boys with actions.

:top marks

Most of our squad are feared of there own shadow, we need players like Griffiths who won't be affected by some booing, yes i know he reacted the last time it happened but so what, it didn't affect him on how he performs on the pitch. Mental toughness, something our players are lacking.

J-C
31-08-2014, 11:25 AM
:top marks

Most of our squad are feared of there own shadow, we need players like Griffiths who won't be affected by some booing, yes i know he reacted the last time it happened but so what, it didn't affect him on how he performs on the pitch. Mental toughness, something our players are lacking.

See, I knew we'd agree about something sooner or later :na na::greengrin

silverhibee
31-08-2014, 03:06 PM
See, I knew we'd agree about something sooner or later :na na::greengrin

It had to happen some day. :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
31-08-2014, 03:08 PM
Quite right Trig, but looking at our results so far this season, I would argue that that result is an exception to the overall rule of the point I was making.

I know, I just wanted to cause a bit of mischief! :greengrin

The Green Goblin
31-08-2014, 04:51 PM
I know, I just wanted to cause a bit of mischief! :greengrin

:greengrin

Hibbyradge
31-08-2014, 06:31 PM
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t1.0-9/10418354_10152606931715513_1085860817800217334_n.j pg

hibsbollah
31-08-2014, 06:53 PM
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t1.0-9/10418354_10152606931715513_1085860817800217334_n.j pg

Are you saying our predicament is all the fans fault?

:dizzy:

emerald green
31-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Are you saying our predicament is all the fans fault?

:dizzy:

Just not going there. :no way:

Eyrie
31-08-2014, 09:22 PM

Could someone pin this to Liam Craig's locker to illustrate how not to behave towards referees? Didn't surprise me that he got booked for dissent yesterday.

Lucius Apuleius
01-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Hmmmm?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/motherwell-star-paul-lawson-warns-4141554

CallumLaidlaw
01-09-2014, 08:05 PM
@rowanvine: “@danielwhite1875: @rowanvine strikers are needed at Easter road, you fancy it?? #signthevine”why not..loved hearing those boos every game

The Green Goblin
01-09-2014, 08:26 PM
@rowanvine: “@danielwhite1875: @rowanvine strikers are needed at Easter road, you fancy it?? #signthevine”why not..loved hearing those boos every game

Good to see he's moved on anyway.

The Green Goblin
01-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Hmmmm?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/motherwell-star-paul-lawson-warns-4141554

St mirren fans gave their players boos and pelters after goals 2 and 3 at the weekend. And that was against a decent dundee utd side

The Green Goblin
01-09-2014, 08:28 PM

Maybe the boy should have specified strikers that can actually score goals