PDA

View Full Version : Hibs in The Guardian...

neil7908
22-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Featured (rather briefly I thought) in the regular series 'The Joy of Six'. This weeks is looking at high scoring football draws. Guess which match their focusing on...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/aug/22/joy-of-six-high-scoring-football-draws

Bronson
22-08-2014, 07:26 PM
That Jutkiewicz goal still sends a shiver down my spine. Some game that, was a right kick in the balls but you've got to admire that goal at the end, incredible finish.

WestEndHibee
22-08-2014, 07:31 PM
That Jutkiewicz goal still sends a shiver down my spine. Some game that, was a right kick in the balls but you've got to admire that goal at the end, incredible finish.

He would never have scored that in any other game. There was just something in the air. Sublime finish.

SteveHFC
22-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Remember being "Delighted" to being "Seething" in the space of 20 mins.

Billy Whizz
22-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Featured (rather briefly I thought) in the regular series 'The Joy of Six'. This weeks is looking at high scoring football draws. Guess which match their focusing on...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/aug/22/joy-of-six-high-scoring-football-draws

Be thankful it ended 6-6. They missed a penalty, could easily have 7-6 to Well

Leith Green
22-08-2014, 07:38 PM
Remember it being one of the major factors i lost confidence in yogi as manager

neil7908
22-08-2014, 07:39 PM
This piece could really have been devoted purely to Hibs games.

The 4-4 draw with Hearts in 2003 when they scored 2 in the last 2 minutes of injury time and the game against Dundee at ER in 2004 when we were absolutely all over them and up 4-1 but it also finished 4-4. Think Dundee got relegated that season as well and we had the likes of Whitakker, Murphy, Boozy, Brown, Riordan and O'Connor playing.

FranckSuzy
22-08-2014, 07:40 PM

:agree: I still think that Smith chucked it, allegedly :wink:

Mr White
22-08-2014, 07:42 PM
we had the likes of Whitakker, Murphy, Boozy, Brown, Riordan and O'Connor playing.

Aye but we had colin murdock in defence :grr:

weecounty hibby
22-08-2014, 08:29 PM
This piece could really have been devoted purely to Hibs games.

The 4-4 draw with Hearts in 2003 when they scored 2 in the last 2 minutes of injury time and the game against Dundee at ER in 2004 when we were absolutely all over them and up 4-1 but it also finished 4-4. Think Dundee got relegated that season as well and we had the likes of Whitakker, Murphy, Boozy, Brown, Riordan and O'Connor playing.
The 4-4 Tynecastle game summed up being a Hibs fan to me. Utter elstion to utter despair in about 220 seconds. I actually burst out laughing when the equaliser went in. You've really got to be a masochist to be a Hibby. Its the reason that the good times feel so good when they occasionally come along

Spudster
22-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Remember it being one of the major factors i lost confidence in yogi as manager
:confused: Confidence in him was long LONNNNNNG gone by then. We were terrible from Christmas

Canongatehibs
22-08-2014, 10:21 PM

Funny, I remember listening to this game and even though we were so far ahead I just knew Well would get level (or win).

neil7908
22-08-2014, 10:28 PM
The 4-4 Tynecastle game summed up being a Hibs fan to me. Utter elstion to utter despair in about 220 seconds. I actually burst out laughing when the equaliser went in. You've really got to be a masochist to be a Hibby. Its the reason that the good times feel so good when they occasionally come along

Yup, it was almost literally impossible for us to lose 2 goals in the length of time left. And we managed it.

erin go bragh
22-08-2014, 10:51 PM
Winning 6-2 but lucky to draw . Aye its a rollercoaster being a Hi Bee . But wouldnt change it for the world .

Ggtth

Sir David Gray
22-08-2014, 11:04 PM

You wouldn't think it would be humanly possible to go from scoring two goals yourself in the last couple of minutes of the match and go 4-2 up and then lose two goals in under a minute to draw the match 4-4.

It's quite incredible that we've been involved in three crazy matches like that in the past decade or so.

The Dundee game wasn't quite as bad, although we were 4-2 up with 11 minutes left there too.

The Motherwell match was just silly. To be 6-2 up with 23 minutes left and almost lose the match 7-6 is just ridiculous.

LaMotta
22-08-2014, 11:07 PM

Well said. The 4 all was worse than wayne foster , mark de vries and 5 -1 combined.

ekhibee
22-08-2014, 11:14 PM
You wouldn't think it would be humanly possible to go from scoring two goals yourself in the last couple of minutes of the match and go 4-2 up and then lose two goals in under a minute to draw the match 4-4.

It's quite incredible that we've been involved in three crazy matches like that in the past decade or so.

The Dundee game wasn't quite as bad, although we were 4-2 up with 11 minutes left there too.

The Motherwell match was just silly. To be 6-2 up with 23 minutes left and almost lose the match 7-6 is just ridiculous.
All I remember about the Motherwell game is how dreadful a goalie Smith was.

All I remember about the Hearts game is that Hearts were given a couple of minutes after the allotted injury time. As far as I'm concerned the game should have finished 4-2, but that was never ever going to happen at Tynecastle.

SJNB Hibby
23-08-2014, 12:30 AM

AND in the knowledge----re: Oxley scoring on his debut

Gettin' Auld
23-08-2014, 09:13 AM
That was a crazy game and quite a few Motherwell fans must have regrets about it too, as i'm sure i remember seeing hoardes of them heading for the exits when we scored the 6th goal...........Nae luck.

As for Graeme Smith.........He must have had a huge wedge on the game being a draw.

G-Reg
23-08-2014, 09:40 AM
I bought a signed pair of Riordan's boots at a charity auction a few years ago and had to laugh when they chucked in Smith's signed top for free as nobody wanted it.

Broken Gnome
23-08-2014, 09:45 AM
All I remember about the Motherwell game is how dreadful a goalie Smith was.

All I remember about the Hearts game is that Hearts were given a couple of minutes after the allotted injury time. As far as I'm concerned the game should have finished 4-2, but that was never ever going to happen at Tynecastle.

Ian Murray vodka bottle incident + an age to award penalty + an age to take penalty.... wasn't really a routine stoppage-free injury time.

Think Hibs pretty safely can take the blame for that game not finishing 4-2.

emerald green
23-08-2014, 11:03 AM

:agree: A mate was texting me the scores as they went in. I thought he was at it TBH.

It was so unprofessional and embarrassing.

LancashireHibby
23-08-2014, 11:28 AM

I'd completely forgotten that he was the goalscorer....even when watching him most weeks playing for Bolton for 6 months last season!

Green Man
23-08-2014, 11:55 AM
I got on a plane thinking we had beaten Motherwell 6-5. It was only hours later, having arrived in Greece, that I found out it finished 6-6.

Hillsidehibby
23-08-2014, 12:07 PM
I remember leaving ER after Dundee Utd had just gone 2-0 up with 15 mins to go. Got into the Golden Gates and found out Hibs had won 3-2.:rolleyes: