PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon Injury

Keith_M
22-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Alan Stubbs has discussed Paul Hanlon's injury in the News (http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hanlon-s-knee-injury-nothing-too-serious-1-3517807)

"the latest injury was “nothing too serious” and was totally unrelated. “It’s nothing to do with the operation,” said Stubbs. “It’s completely separate, not a recurrence of the old injury and it’s really about when Paul feels ready to come back in.” "

Good News as he's an integral part of our team.

Leithenhibby
22-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Alan Stubbs has discussed Paul Hanlon's injury in the News (http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hanlon-s-knee-injury-nothing-too-serious-1-3517807)

"the latest injury was “nothing too serious” and was totally unrelated. “It’s nothing to do with the operation,” said Stubbs. “It’s completely separate, not a recurrence of the old injury and it’s really about when Paul feels ready to come back in.” "

Good News as he's an integral part of our team.

:agree:

Brightside
22-08-2014, 11:43 AM

He will miss Falkirk but should be back after that game.

Franck Stanton
22-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Player who is much maligned on .net but when he is out injured we really do miss him.

Stevie Reid
22-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Player who is much maligned on .net but when he is out injured we really do miss him.

Yep, I think our decline last season without him proved beyond doubt that Hanlon is an important player for us.

We lost 14 of the 34 matches that he played in - and lost 8 of our last 10 matches of the season without him.

Viva_Palmeiras
22-08-2014, 02:04 PM

Strange one that...
Just wonder how much of the criticism (such as Hanlon) that goes on on Hibs.net translates to the pubs and stands?

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Certainly wouldn't be in this minging championship if he hadn't got injured at the end of last season

S4uzee
22-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Certainly wouldn't be in this minging championship if he hadn't got injured at the end of last season

Calm down, he's no that good!!

_hucks_
22-08-2014, 03:50 PM

The stats Stevie Reid posted above suggest that maybe, in terms of our results, he actually is.

West hamBERNIAN
22-08-2014, 03:53 PM
I think he's right, we were far better when he was in the team. As soon as he was injured we went mid table to hopeless.

crash
22-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Yep, I think our decline last season without him proved beyond doubt that Hanlon is an important player for us.

We lost 14 of the 34 matches that he played in - and lost 8 of our last 10 matches of the season without him.

Actually the 10 games we played before Hanlon got injured we conceded 22 goals, when he was out for the last 10 we only conceded 15 goals,so I don't think the defence is.weakened when he isn't there.

HappyAsHellas
22-08-2014, 05:25 PM
He will be an important member of our squad this season, so the sooner he's back fit, the better. Nelson knew he had to put in a shift to have a chance of getting back in, and he did it, with considerable aplomb. I'm sure Hanlon will feel the urge to do the same when he's fit again which bodes well for the team. Bugger last seasons stats - onwards and upwards.

Smartie
22-08-2014, 05:26 PM
He's a cracking player and it was his first injury that really derailed our season. He'd struck up a decent partnership with Nelson, the team had had a mini-revival and things were looking up.

I'm looking forward to getting him back.

KeithTheHibby
22-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Actually the 10 games we played before Hanlon got injured we conceded 22 goals, when he was out for the last 10 we only conceded 15 goals,so I don't think the defence is.weakened when he isn't there.

We also got relegated due to our honking form in the last 10 games. Hanlon being out was a bit part in our relegation for sure.

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-08-2014, 05:50 PM

I'm very calm thanks. He's good enough to ensure that we wouldn't have lost some of the atrocious goals we did in our run in, such as away to St Mirren, home to Hearts, Killie and against Hamilton. Forster and McGivern were comically bad at times but having to play each week.

My opinion is that we would have picked up the extra couple of points we needed with our best defender playing. The stats for the entire season would back my opinion up. You can have your own opinion obviously, that's just mine

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-08-2014, 05:51 PM
The stats Stevie Reid posted above suggest that maybe, in terms of our results, he actually is.

Correct

crash
22-08-2014, 05:59 PM

portycabbage
22-08-2014, 06:21 PM

It's only 18 conceded in Hanlon's last 10, or 15 if just counting his last ten league games. Perhaps we should look at goals scored due to his better distribution. If there was a way, and I wasn't getting nagged to bath the kids, I might go and look!:greengrin

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_games.php?playerid=6504&page=2

Northernhibee
22-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Our best player.

erin go bragh
22-08-2014, 06:43 PM

If we had stayed up we would still imo be stuck with the gruesome twosome , playing eye bleeding hoofball .

Ggtth

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-08-2014, 07:03 PM
If we had stayed up we would still imo be stuck with the gruesome twosome , playing eye bleeding hoofball .

Ggtth

We'll never know tbh. I've got a feeling LD would have seen through their bull and emptied them anyway. She's an astute woman and would have spoken to a number of people before emptying them IMO.

Boyle89
22-08-2014, 07:40 PM

Who were the last 10 games against? Bottom 6 teams and 2 games against Hamilton so it would make sense to assume we would concede less. Hanlon missing was a big reason we went down. Did you seen hanlon pass a ball to the opposing teams stirker for them to get a scoring chance 2 weeks in a row? Whether some like it or not hanlon is our best defender and we missed him big time.

Viva_Palmeiras
22-08-2014, 08:40 PM
http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/overrated-or-underrated-paul-hanlon-hibernian-1-3518447

Certainly doing the number on this. Wonder if this is a one-off or sets the precedent...

i see see the Scotsman folks have decamped from their Holyrood orifice to sit in with the company the Budgie sold out to. Hardened times for what used to be quality now looking for mass market and IMO quality has gone out the window.

Who needs football phone-in when you've got the EEN and Scotsman.

portycabbage
22-08-2014, 09:20 PM

We also kept clean sheets more often with Hanlon in the team - 9 with/1 without (game at Hamilton).

Bleeds green
23-08-2014, 08:02 AM
Future captain, player if the season and genuinely hope is here to have a testimonial most underrated player at hibs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broken Gnome
23-08-2014, 08:08 AM
I'd wager we wouldn't have been losing goals inside 14 seconds at St Mirren if Hanlon had been fit.

SanFranHibs
23-08-2014, 08:18 AM
We'll never know tbh. I've got a feeling LD would have seen through their bull and emptied them anyway. She's an astute woman and would have spoken to a number of people before emptying them IMO.

I can't attest to LD's astuteness but I said a while back that even had we beaten Hamilton and stayed up she was going to get rid of Butcher. No evidence at all to back that up but I think she could see that TB was not the right guy and probably Petrie knew this but he probably was dreading having to say farewell to another manager.

I agree with you. Had we stayed up ALL the personnel that left would still have departed.

steviehibsleith
23-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Paul Hanlon is playing football at Hibs in the second tier of Scottish football .

Regardless of what everyones opinion on here is off his ability no SPL manager came in for him in the summer so in all their opinions he isn't better than what they have.

The Leith Dutch
23-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Paul Hanlon is playing football at Hibs in the second tier of Scottish football .

Regardless of what everyones opinion on here is off his ability no SPL manager came in for him in the summer so in all their opinions he isn't better than what they have.

I get the point you're making but worth considering that Hanlon's contract runs to 2016 which would almost certainly have meant Hibs seeking a transfer fee significantly north of what anyone in the SPL outside celtic could pay.

Also worth bearing in mind that his debut was what 2008? From that perspective his individual performances have been good in teams that were otherwise mediocre in defence at best.

I think Hanlon is a very good defender with decent distribution that could easily play Championship level in England.
If he was a little more physically imposing then possibly a higher level.

Just an opinion mind ;)

Blaster
23-08-2014, 09:02 AM

Who in the spl do you think hanlon would leave Hibs for? Hanlon was close to leaving due to butcher saying he could find another club and was close to doing so till Stubbs put a stop to it.

Hanlon is a good player and underestimated. As usual most will only realise that if or when he leaves

Smartie
23-08-2014, 09:16 AM

Is the only reason than Hanlon didn't leave that no manager came in for him?

Like you and I Hanlon is a Hibs fan. What do the names Andy Dow, Willie Miller and Darren Dods mean to you?

steviehibsleith
23-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Is the only reason than Hanlon didn't leave that no manager came in for him?

Like you and I Hanlon is a Hibs fan. What do the names Andy Dow, Willie Miller and Darren Dods mean to you?

Are you implying There we're offers but he decided to play in the Championship because he is a Hibs fan ? Bearing in mind only one team are guaranteed promotion so this could be for more than one season.

And sorry I have no idea what you are asking , what does Dow Dodds and Miller mean to me ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silverhibee
23-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Is it bone bruising on the knee he has. ?

Smartie
23-08-2014, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE=steviehibsleith;4137135]Are you implying There we're offers but he decided to play in the Championship because he is a Hibs fan ? Bearing in mind only one team are guaranteed promotion so this could be for more than one season.

And sorry I have no idea what you are asking , what does Dow Dodds and Miller mean to me ?

I am saying that there are many reasons why he might still be here - settled in Edinburgh, likes the club, fancies the challenge of the Championship scrap. Not necessarily because he's not good enough to play at a higher level and no manager came in for him.

Dods, Miller and Dow were the 3 who jumped the last time we were relegated and I've always thought less of them for doing so, like I would have done with Hanlon if he'd left.

The window is still open and I'd be surprised if there weren't vultures circling. Imo he's our best player and we'd be screwed if we lost him.

Niffy
23-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Big Tweedie as well.

steviehibsleith
23-08-2014, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=steviehibsleith;4137135]Are you implying There we're offers but he decided to play in the Championship because he is a Hibs fan ? Bearing in mind only one team are guaranteed promotion so this could be for more than one season.

I am saying that there are many reasons why he might still be here - settled in Edinburgh, likes the club, fancies the challenge of the Championship scrap. Not necessarily because he's not good enough to play at a higher level and no manager came in for him.

Dods, Miller and Dow were the 3 who jumped the last time we were relegated and I've always thought less of them for doing so, like I would have done with Hanlon if he'd left.

The window is still open and I'd be surprised if there weren't vultures circling. Imo he's our best player and we'd be screwed if we lost him.
Ok i see your views and reference the Dodds Miller and Dow for some reason i was seeing the Dons tache Miller forgot all about the one you were meaning .

Smartie
23-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Big Tweedie as well.

Did Tweedie go when we were relegated too? I thought he left earlier.

Ah well, maybe I'll need to step up my grudge against him too. I'd always thought it was just the other 3.

Argylehibby
23-08-2014, 10:31 AM
I can't attest to LD's astuteness but I said a while back that even had we beaten Hamilton and stayed up she was going to get rid of Butcher. No evidence at all to back that up but I think she could see that TB was not the right guy and probably Petrie knew this but he probably was dreading having to say farewell to another manager.

I agree with you. Had we stayed up ALL the personnel that left would still have departed.

Pretty sure that Butcher would have been sent packing even if we had stayed up. Petrie was in a no win situation though. Sack him before LD arrived and he's undermining her before she even starts or do as he did and hope Butcher did enough to keep us up. I think LD has said she probably should have come to us earlier but at the time she agreed to join us there was no threat of relegation.

Keith_M
23-08-2014, 10:37 AM
How did this thread deteriorate from an article on Hanlon's injury to a discussion over whether or not he's the new Messi?

:greengrin

scoopyboy
23-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Is it bone bruising on the knee he has. ?

Yes, on the same knee as he had the op.

scoopyboy
23-08-2014, 11:02 AM

And you know that for a fact?

Could it possibly be that someone did in fact come in for him but their offer was lower than what he is on at Hibs?

The vast majority of the top league couldn't afford to match Paul Hanlon's wages.

silverhibee
23-08-2014, 11:07 AM
Yes, on the same knee as he had the op.

Had heard that bud, not good. :aok:

Brightside
23-08-2014, 12:17 PM

Utter garbage. Hanlon could have left no problem in the close season. I honestly wish some Hibs fans would find another club.

Aldo
23-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Paul Hanlon is playing football at Hibs in the second tier of Scottish football . Regardless of what everyones opinion on here is off his ability no SPL manager came in for him in the summer so in all their opinions he isn't better than what they have.

Opinions eh!

I think the word your looking for is 'loyalty'

Eyrie
23-08-2014, 01:01 PM
How did this thread deteriorate from an article on Hanlon's injury to a discussion over whether or not he's the new Messi?

:greengrin

He's not the Messi, he's just a very good defender :greengrin

I think Miller and Dods were out of contract when we were relegated last time, so Hanlon wasn't in a comparable situation which I'm relieved about. He's our best centre half and will hopefully develop a good partnership with Forster over the course of this season.

Keith_M
23-08-2014, 01:04 PM
He's not the Messi, he's just a very good defender :greengrin

I wondered how long it would be before somebody came up with that one :greengrin

He's our best centre half and will hopefully develop a good partnership with Forster over the course of this season.

Eyrie
23-08-2014, 01:26 PM
I wondered how long it would be before somebody came up with that one :greengrin

It always takes me longer to wake up at the weekend ...