PDA

View Full Version : Experienced assistants

Hibs1992
18-08-2014, 08:00 PM
The thing that I have found most difficult to stomach about the defeat yesterday is that it was totally preventable. As has been stated on other threads it was glaringly obvious that a) Robertson was having a poor game and was a red card waiting to happen and b) Stanton is not on his game and is clearly short of confidence at the minute and probably should not have started the match let alone made it to 80 minutes.

Stubbs is new to management and I am not going to have a go at him at such an early stage of his Hibs career when he has done a lot of good work already. What I have a problem with however is that the club have made a big thing about the high standard of coaching staff we have recruited, so surely one of Doolan or Holden should have been able to recognise the weak areas on the pitch and communicate that to Stubbs. I fully believe if we had brought on Allan & Kennedy 10/15 minutes earlier we could have won the game, or at least given Hearts enough to think about to stop them attacking us full tilt like they did.

Hopefully a lesson learnt by the management team yesterday. The ability to make these decisions at the right time can often dictate whether a match is won, lost or drawn. Hearts made positive changes: Hearts won the match. Hibs waited until it was too late: Hibs lost the match.

lord bunberry
18-08-2014, 08:07 PM
I don't think it was down to in expirience, I've never been a manager and I thought he should have changed things. I think he's trying to show the players he trusts them.

bingo70
18-08-2014, 08:14 PM
I don't think it was down to in expirience, I've never been a manager and I thought he should have changed things. I think he's trying to show the players he trusts them.

I get that with Stanton as his was a performance issue, Robertson was clearly always going to get a red yesterday.

The same could have been said for that Prince boy for them as well I suppose, I thought Neilson played a dangerous game by keeping him on the park but it paid off for him, wasn't to be for Stubbs though.

bigwheel
18-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Hindsight management is the easiest game in town ...the game was starting to be stretched ...no team had been creating chances and then Nicholson fires in a worldy ....that's football...it could have as easily been us that got a little break and took the lead ...we will learn from it

We are already a better side than last season , we won't be far away at the end of the season, so let's see how we get on.

Hibs1992
18-08-2014, 08:26 PM
Hindsight management is the easiest game in town ...the game was starting to be stretched ...no team had been creating chances and then Nicholson fires in a worldy ....that's football...it could have as easily been us that got a little break and took the lead ...we will learn from it

We are already a better side than last season , we won't be far away at the end of the season, so let's see how we get on.

Not sure I agree with the hindsight comment because the vast majority of Hibs supporters in the crowd (and I believe watching on the tele) could see that the momentum had swung in Hearts favour and we did nothing to stop it. Robertson had been flying into challenges and over-commiting himself all game and it was this that cost us two goals and the game.

Stanton was virtually a passenger and his lack of attacking threat allowed Hearts to commit players forward down their right hand side, where the opening goal came from. If Kennedy had been brought on to run at the full back and give them something to think about, things may have turned out differently.

NadeAteMyLunch!
18-08-2014, 08:32 PM

As I said on a thread earlier, none of these comments are in hindsight sadly. These were things that I-and everyone around me-were screaming for 20 minutes before the goals and red card. Frightening how obvious it was, yet ignored by our management team. Staggering in fact. It's the thing that's been bugging me most all day. Far more than the penalty miss

JimBHibees
18-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Complete hindsight, another day Nicholson's shot hits row z. Great strike but out of keeping with the game. We lost the game we move on. The endless slating of players and manager's is a joke. We need more players however he is at least trying to get us to play the game in the right way.

emerald green
18-08-2014, 08:39 PM
Not sure I agree with the hindsight comment because the vast majority of Hibs supporters in the crowd (and I believe watching on the tele) could see that the momentum had swung in Hearts favour and we did nothing to stop it. Robertson had been flying into challenges and over-commiting himself all game and it was this that cost us two goals and the game.

Stanton was virtually a passenger and his lack of attacking threat allowed Hearts to commit players forward down their right hand side, where the opening goal came from. If Kennedy had been brought on to run at the full back and give them something to think about, things may have turned out differently.

Slightly off message, but what is wrong with Sam Stanton? Is there something going on we don't know about? Is he another bright young prospect that too much was/is expected of too soon, or what?

Bye the way, this is not an attack on Sam. We all want to see him playing well, but it just isn't happening just now for some reason.

erin go bragh
18-08-2014, 08:51 PM
Slightly off message, but what is wrong with Sam Stanton? Is there something going on we don't know about? Is he another bright young prospect that too much was/is expected of too soon, or what?

Bye the way, this is not an attack on Sam. We all want to see him playing well, but it just isn't happening just now for some reason.
Wasted out on the right imho . Never a winger in a million years .

Ggtth

emerald green
18-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Wasted out on the right imho . Never a winger in a million years .

Ggtth

:agree: Something else for the coaching staff to add to their list of things to get sorted out. The squad is threadbare, so they have to utilise the players we do have properly and play them in their best positions.

bigwheel
18-08-2014, 09:13 PM
As I said on a thread earlier, none of these comments are in hindsight sadly. These were things that I-and everyone around me-were screaming for 20 minutes before the goals and red card. Frightening how obvious it was, yet ignored by our management team. Staggering in fact. It's the thing that's been bugging me most all day. Far more than the penalty miss

Yet actually the first goal was in a period were we had started to grab a bit more balance to be game . Hearts hadn't created a chance worthy of note during the second half , and just before the goal, we had almost broken through on their right hand side. The game was going into a new phase , with the match becoming stretched ...and they stepped up with a great goal ..it would have been a defining phase wright way. We were unfortunate to find ourselves behind at that stage ..

NadeAteMyLunch!
18-08-2014, 10:32 PM
Yet actually the first goal was in a period were we had started to grab a bit more balance to be game . Hearts hadn't created a chance worthy of note during the second half , and just before the goal, we had almost broken through on their right hand side. The game was going into a new phase , with the match becoming stretched ...and they stepped up with a great goal ..it would have been a defining phase wright way. We were unfortunate to find ourselves behind at that stage ..

I agree that we were unfortunate to fall behind, however we weren't unfortunate to go down to 10 men. Robertson should have been sent off earlier and for him still to be on the pitch was criminal from Stubbs. We also weren't creating a huge lot ourselves and bringing on the likes of Allan, Kennedy or Cummings would have given them something to think about at the back. Even without his yellow and continuous final warnings from Collum, Robertson was having a poor half and should have been replaced for fresh legs

bigwheel
19-08-2014, 06:06 AM
I agree that we were unfortunate to fall behind, however we weren't unfortunate to go down to 10 men. Robertson should have been sent off earlier and for him still to be on the pitch was criminal from Stubbs. We also weren't creating a huge lot ourselves and bringing on the likes of Allan, Kennedy or Cummings would have given them something to think about at the back. Even without his yellow and continuous final warnings from Collum, Robertson was having a poor half and should have been replaced for fresh legs

The Robertson point is well made . I wonder if Stubbs was happy with how the game was going , perhaps happy with a point ...as he wasn't making any attempt to make a change prior to their goal ...

The Leith Dutch
19-08-2014, 06:16 AM
Wasted out on the right imho . Never a winger in a million years

This.

Stanton should be in the centre of the park.

It is unfortunately an area in which we're actually quite well covered but that either means we rotate him with others or he sticks his hand up and becomes undroppable.

We have options wide with Kennedy and the possibility of Craig playing Left Mid where he played for St Johnstone with Harris moving to the right.
Personally prefer Harris on the left but we need to make the best of what we have.

Would be surprised if Kennedy doesn't start on Saturday and I'd have it down to whether Allan is match fit enough for a central start or whether we move Stanton in to replace Robertson.

tamig
19-08-2014, 07:28 AM
I've been saying since pre-season that Sam is no wide player. Stubbs seems determined to accommodate him but that must surely be central. Why does he not play him in the Handling role?