PDA

View Full Version : Danny Handling

since90plustwo
18-08-2014, 02:34 PM
No idea what the deal is with this player. Complete standout for the youth teams for years, but when he gets on the pitch at senior level, seems to contribute absolutely nothing. 3 first team goals in 43 games is shocking, even forster has managed more and he plays at centre half! Really optimistic about him this year, always been a critic but was surprisingly impressed with him at ibrox but yesterdays performance was back to his old ways. Definately think he needs to toughen up, would 6 months in the third/second division do the job to get a bit of confidence back?

lord bunberry
18-08-2014, 02:39 PM
No idea what the deal is with this player. Complete standout for the youth teams for years, but when he gets on the pitch at senior level, seems to contribute absolutely nothing. 3 first team goals in 43 games is shocking, even forster has managed more and he plays at centre half! Really optimistic about him this year, always been a critic but was surprisingly impressed with him at ibrox but yesterdays performance was back to his old ways. Definately think he needs to toughen up, would 6 months in the third/second division do the job to get a bit of confidence back?

He won the penalty for us and got stuck in, I didn't think he was any worse than the rest of his team mates.

Jones28
18-08-2014, 02:40 PM
I don't think we were terrible yesterday. Individually there were a few poor performances but we are actually playing football yesterday.

Danny was one of the better players I felt. Won the pen and was constantly wanting the ball.

Purehibee_MYB
18-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Danny Handling was our standout player against Rangers and certainly wasn't our worst player yesterday. Been much improved recently and I think he'll continue to get better under Stubbs as time goes on

Alex Trager
18-08-2014, 03:06 PM
Danny Handling was our standout player against Rangers and certainly wasn't our worst player yesterday. Been much improved recently and I think he'll continue to get better under Stubbs as time goes on

This.

By an absolute mile.

CallumLaidlaw
18-08-2014, 03:10 PM
I've been a critic of Danny. Found him to be invisible in games. But he's been a lot more impressive in his 2 games so far this season and deserves a chance.

Scooter
18-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Danny was terrible against rangers until he scored then he got sent off abt 15 mins later. Again yesterday he was terrible he won't make it with us and should be dropped.

I k ow this is the wrong thread but I see lots of people saying we played good football yest but if u watch the whole game back it's was a lot of long ball stuff there was times we tried to play but on the whole the football wasn't great

Elephant Stone
18-08-2014, 03:22 PM
I've been a critic of Danny. Found him to be invisible in games. But he's been a lot more impressive in his 2 games so far this season and deserves a chance.

This is kind of where I'm at as well, think he needs to do a lot more but deserves a chance to show he can do it.

MrRobot
18-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Danny seems to be one of those players who lots of fans like cause he has come through the Hibs ranks. Personally, I dont think he is good enough. However I do wish to be proven wrong but I don't think I will be. We have seen other players who were a standout in the reserves who never made it, ie Damon Gray and Kurtis Bryne.

Sadly, I think Danny will fall into that category.

Purehibee_MYB
18-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Danny was terrible against rangers until he scored then he got sent off abt 15 mins later. Again yesterday he was terrible he won't make it with us and should be dropped.

I k ow this is the wrong thread but I see lots of people saying we played good football yest but if u watch the whole game back it's was a lot of long ball stuff there was times we tried to play but on the whole the football wasn't great

Sorry, which Rangers game were you watching?? Handling wasn't playing in the Hearts vs. Rangers game...

BSEJVT
18-08-2014, 03:25 PM

Unfortunately Callum not everyone is quite as open minded as you.

Its the Hibs supporters way, one bad game or bad touch has you branded a dud for evermore with no chance of redemption.

Pretty Boy
18-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Needs to find a bit consistency.

Was outstanding for large spells against Rangers and had a decent pre season. But the number of misplaced passes by him yesterday was bordering on ridiculous.

Much improved but still need a bit more imo.

Greenworld
18-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Played a much deeper role pre season and against rangers......he was very good in these games ....i agree not as good playing up top

The_Horde
18-08-2014, 03:29 PM

Agree with this.

If someone had told me weeks before that Handling would start against rangers in the first game of the season I'd have been spewing. But he had a fantastic game and he's still only 20 so he will improve.

He deserves his chance. Hopefully stubbs has realised you can't play a man 'in the hole' at tynecastle because it's far too crowded in there. Put him up front or drop another man into the middle.

Scooter
18-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Sorry, which Rangers game were you watching?? Handling wasn't playing in the Hearts vs. Rangers game...

When did I say hearts v rangers?

I said he was terrible against rangers until he scores and was terrible yesterday

The_Horde
18-08-2014, 03:31 PM

I said he was terrible against rangers until he scores and was terrible yesterday

He was by far our stand out player against rangers until he was sent off. Dunno what game you were watching mate?

Purehibee_MYB
18-08-2014, 03:38 PM

I was being sarcastic saying you must have watched a different team playing Rangers because when we played Rangers Handling was our best player

bigwheel
18-08-2014, 03:40 PM

Handling's movement and link up play against Rangers was excellent..to say he was terrible makes me wonder what you see in a game. One of the issues Handling has is that he doesn't really contribute when we don't have the ball, and when we have the ball, actually a lot of his good work is also off the ball...run's and movement are excellent..often taking defenders with him, or creating space for himself and others. He isn't a typical Scottish (sleeves rolled up) player. He needs to do a lot more, but players won't like playing against him that's for sure..as we saw yesterday with his sharp run for the penalty .

marleyhib
18-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Though he's looked much better this season, was disappointed he wasn't available against Livi after his performance against Rangers.

Hope Stubbs sticks with him, he has talent IMHO

RoslinInstHibby
18-08-2014, 03:58 PM
needs more of an end product for me, like that he always wants the ball but think he needs to do more with it. big season for him

mmmmhibby
18-08-2014, 04:04 PM

I agree, Danny is tactically aware, has good positional sense and can spot a pass. He's miles in front of the majority of the team in my opinion. He doesn't run about like a headless chicken, that's standard criteria for a few of our senior players.

truehibernian
18-08-2014, 04:11 PM
I agree, Danny is tactically aware, has good positional sense and can spot a pass. He's miles in front of the majority of the team in my opinion. He doesn't run about like a headless chicken, that's standard criteria for a few of our senior players.

Danny has great game intelligence and like others is slowly getting his confidence back. I've always maintained we don't see the best of him because we've never played him in his best position, striker. He is a very very good finisher. His awareness on the pitch is good - watch him closely next time he plays, watch the positions he gets into but more importantly the areas he runs into - sadly our midfielders are never switched on enough to see it and he has to drop deep to collect.

I've always rated him, always will - a very good footballer and if we get a run of results he will flourish, and bag a few. Actually thought he would step up and take the penalty after winning it yesterday.

Nutmegged
18-08-2014, 05:08 PM
I don't get the hate for Handling, he hasn't burst onto the scene like Brown/Riordan/Tam McManus etc... he was a stand out in the youths but is a victim of circumstances in my opinion, his break-through into the first team coincided with a period of time when we've been unbelievably negative in our set-up, first under Fenlon then under Butcher, its not conducive to a player like Handling.

I feel under Stubs he has been OK, I felt he was our best player against Rangers at Ibrox and while he didn't get much joy yesterday, who did? Although he did win the penalty, he really has to rely on our midfield getting him the ball and for our wide men to gove him options when he has the ball, I think a year or two in this Division, and lets face it 2 years is a genuine possibility, could do him the World of good in terms of getting regular game time in a side that should hopefully be winning a lot more than we lose.

Danny has a long way to go but I genuinely feel there's a player in there and with boys like Hanlon, Harris, Stanton and Forster in the team the familiarity could be beneficial to him, maybe not, I might be wrong but I'd like to see him get a run of 15+ games to see how his confidence will effect his game

ancient hibee
18-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Leigh Griffiths would have been howled out of ER in his first season loan if a lot of people on here had had their way.Give the young players a chance.

sahib
18-08-2014, 05:59 PM
I don't get the hate for Handling, he hasn't burst onto the scene like Brown/Riordan/Tam McManus etc... he was a stand out in the youths but is a victim of circumstances in my opinion, his break-through into the first team coincided with a period of time when we've been unbelievably negative in our set-up, first under Fenlon then under Butcher, its not conducive to a player like Handling.

I feel under Stubs he has been OK, I felt he was our best player against Rangers at Ibrox and while he didn't get much joy yesterday, who did? Although he did win the penalty, he really has to rely on our midfield getting him the ball and for our wide men to gove him options when he has the ball, I think a year or two in this Division, and lets face it 2 years is a genuine possibility, could do him the World of good in terms of getting regular game time in a side that should hopefully be winning a lot more than we lose.

Danny has a long way to go but I genuinely feel there's a player in there and with boys like Hanlon, Harris, Stanton and Forster in the team the familiarity could be beneficial to him, maybe not, I might be wrong but I'd like to see him get a run of 15+ games to see how his confidence will effect his game

If I recall correctly there were plenty on here and in the stands, who wanted rid of Gary O'Connor. Mowbray raised a few eyebrows, when he said that far from getting shot of Gary, that he was exactly the standard of player he hoped to attract.
Young players can be inconsistent and form can dip, but if they have got "it", then we should be taking the long view here. I have not seen enough to judge whether Harris, Stanton or Handling have got what it takes but many people can't distinguish between poor form and real talent. I have said this on a few occasions, so I am probably for the chop.:slipper:

Billychaotic182
18-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Very harsh I thought he was one of few that got pass marks yesterday

macd123
18-08-2014, 07:19 PM
I was worried this might be a bashing thread but glad it's not

PeterboroHibee
18-08-2014, 07:29 PM
I was impressed with Handling against Rangers, but cant say I noticed him much yesterday (other than getting clattered for the penalty). I think he is much more suited to us playing it on the ground, holding onto the ball and it going through him, which didnt really happen against Hearts.

The one thing I would like to see from him is offering more of a threat in front of goal. His stats are slightly misleading as he has been played all over the place, but its still not great for someone who is a forward. Hopefully we see that improve this season.