PDA

View Full Version : Central midfielder

Unseen work
17-08-2014, 06:01 PM
IMO this is one of if not they key position we need to fill, that or put Scott Allan in there asap.

To play the football we are trying to play we need someone to come deep and get the ball and dictate play like buaben does for them, always available for a pass and finds room.

Also someone that has discipline to hold the midfield and not chase the ball, Robertson chases the ball too much and it leaves a ton of space in behind for us to get passed through and he runs into people when trying to tackle them.

I think if we get one of these, like a Thomson, Claros buaben type we would full click. Handling has been brilliant in the whole when he gets the ball, the problem is getting the ball to him, if we get a midfielder demanding the ball of the centre half and starts spraying passes and opening up the play we will see a lot more creative chances IMO

Eyrie
17-08-2014, 06:17 PM
We had one.

But we let our soon-to-be-deservedly-fired manager tell him he had no future with us so Thomson took the best offer he could. If Butcher had been fired immediately then I'm sure Thomson could have been persuaded to wait for the replacement to be appointed before accepting an offer elsewhere.

TheFamous1875
17-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Both posts spot on IMO.

I think that our new style of play would've suited Thomson to a tee had he stayed on with us.

Having said that, from what little I've seen of Scott Allan, he could be the answer. He's very composed on the ball, and he has a reputation for being creative and good with the ball at his feet, so we could see him either behind the striker, or in the centre splitting defences from deep.

I think Stanton has earned his break form the first team. He has great potential and ability and we need to make sure that we rest him and protect him as all during the pre season and the first three matches, he's looked out of sorts. It's only natural that it happens to young players. We need a player who can step up and show him how it's done and take the heat off him and I think Scott Allan is going to be that player.

Robertson's main quality is his energy, but his mistakes today overwrote that. Too rash, not enough thought and in my opinion should've been off at half time. I'd have brought Kennedy on at the left and brought Stanton in alongside Craig in the centre. If his performance didn't improve, then he'd be swapped for Allan.

Craig, again shirked his captain responsibilities in preference for finger-pointing and shouting at everyone but himself. Again, it's a lack of leaders in the squad that holds capable players back. We've not got a Sauzee, a Jones or a Brown in the team. A talented player who can also drive and inspire his team mates through big matches like a derby, or a cup final. Not one player has those leadership qualities and today it undeniably showed.

I think that as the season gets going we'll see our squad bonding and adapting to Stubbs' ethos and with that trust and inspiration that Stubbs provides, we may well see our players showing the qualities required.

Stanton as understudy to Allan and rotating with each other, Craig improving and taking responsibility as captain of our club, and Robertson being enabled to get at the opposition with his energy and drive and we may well see our midfield and our squad gelling and getting the results needed to get out of this league.

southern hibby
18-08-2014, 07:00 AM
Said yesterday after the game thought Hertz did better I'n midfield than us I'n as much as they played the easy ball always tried to play little triangle formations and at times ( tin hat on here ) walked right through us.

However we never rested or stopped battling or at least never tracked back. I'n my opinion we just need a player who can make a killer pass / open up a team. If it is Scott for this roll play him or if it's not him we need one I'n fast.

GGTTH

Greenblood70
18-08-2014, 07:51 AM
I think we desperately need a Claros type in there to break up play, preferably someone with a bit of experience and who can organise. I'm also hoping Allan will provide the creative spark that we lack. The midfield needs rethought completely imo as too many players look as if they're uncomfortable in their current positions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
18-08-2014, 08:04 AM
I'm worried how long it's taking Allan to break into the team?

J-C
18-08-2014, 08:11 AM
It's funny that we've seen 2 managers think that Craig is suited to a deep playmaking role, which tbh doesn't work but Fenlon seen him more of an attacking midfilder playing on the left as an inside forward, whwere he was creative and scored goals. Even at Falkirk and St Johnstone Craig was seen as an attacking midfielder, where he was very successful.

If stubbs wants to play a deep lying playmaker, then he needs one who can lead and create and beside him that creative deep playmaker needs an enforcer to clean up around him. Robertson isn't a defensive midfielder, he is box 2 box and his tackling is poor, so we have 2 players who are poor tacklers and are out of position a fair bit and you wonder why we don't control the midfield agaist other teams.