PDA

View Full Version : failure to prepare

erskine-hibby
17-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Is preparing for failure.
Every year, without fail, we are always well behind in our preparations for the season ahead.
This year, with the sacking of TB, the mass shipout of players (maybe not enough) and the time it took to get AS in, has left us, yet again, lagging behind our rivals when we needed to hit the ground running. OK it is only the second game of the season and there is a long way to go, but why, oh why, do we manage to do this EVERY season? Hearts, Rangers and others have brought in players early and have prepared them with a good preseason. Us? We are still talking about bringing a team together. It is quite clear that the 'spine' of the team is not there, a strong center back,midfielder and striker. If we really want to progress this needs to be sorted...fast! Or we will, very quickly, find ourselves playing catch up all season again!!!

jax67
17-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Is preparing for failure.
Every year, without fail, we are always well behind in our preparations for the season ahead.
This year, with the sacking of TB, the mass shipout of players (maybe not enough) and the time it took to get AS in, has left us, yet again, lagging behind our rivals when we needed to hit the ground running. OK it is only the second game of the season and there is a long way to go, but why, oh why, do we manage to do this EVERY season? Hearts, Rangers and others have brought in players early and have prepared them with a good preseason. Us? We are still talking about bringing a team together. It is quite clear that the 'spine' of the team is not there, a strong center back,midfielder and striker. If we really want to progress this needs to be sorted...fast! Or we will, very quickly, find ourselves playing catch up all season again!!!

Only bit of this I disagree with is the strong CM. I think we need two. Spot on with the prep though. I do think Stubbs is the man for us though.

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Agreed. We always leave it to the last minute. Said weeks ago that we'd be scrambling about on 31/8 trying to get bodies in on loan. Or worse on trial on 1/9.

erskine-hibby
17-08-2014, 04:33 PM
We spent more time getting in backroom staff (not that it wasn't needed also) than getting players on the pitch, prepared and ready to go.

Borderhibbie76
17-08-2014, 04:37 PM
Spot on...this is why we were all so anxious on here all summer and sadly we have been proven right. Squad is not strong enough and still too many flops from last season, craig, robertson, nelson and tudor jones to name a few...

Pretty Boy
17-08-2014, 04:38 PM
I think there is probably an excuse this season, although this isn't really a defence as it's a problem that stretches back further than that.

We had started to prepeare for a Premiership campaign. No one foresaw how much a a disaster that **** Butcher would be. We basically had to rip up the whole plan and start again and that meant spending time looking for a new manager, identifying new targets etc.

We also have a new CEO who has found a club being run in a shocking way and that all needs addressed as well. Don't get me wrong I am seriously ****ed off at how paper thin our squad is but there are mitigating circumstances, this year at least.

It should never have got to such a sad state of affairs in the 1st place of course.

erskine-hibby
17-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Spot on...this is why we were all so anxious on here all summer and sadly we have been proven right. Squad is not strong enough and still too many flops from last season, craig, robertson, nelson and tudor jones to name a few...

Yeah, agree, though I still think Craig is a player, just not captain. Take that pressure away from him, add another decent midfielder and I think we would see a different, better, player.

Baldy Foghorn
17-08-2014, 04:45 PM
I think there is probably an excuse this season, although this isn't really a defence as it's a problem that stretches back further than that.

We had started to prepeare for a Premiership campaign. No one foresaw how much a a disaster that **** Butcher would be. We basically had to rip up the whole plan and start again and that meant spending time looking for a new manager, identifying new targets etc.

We also have a new CEO who has found a club being run in a shocking way and that all needs addressed as well. Don't get me wrong I am seriously ****ed off at how paper thin our squad is but there are mitigating circumstances, this year at least.

It should never have got to such a sad state of affairs in the 1st place of course.

Another reason why there should have been a Boardroom cull as well as the players.....Petrie, Langham, Houston, Jones all as culpable as everyone else who has been binned

erskine-hibby
17-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Another reason why there should have been a Boardroom cull as well as the players.....Petrie, Langham, Houston, Jones all as culpable as everyone else who has been binned

Totally!

gegs70
17-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Really in terms of players not much has changed midfield is the same and defence bar Gray is much the same.

yankyhibby
17-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Like many others, I had hoped we'd hit the ground running, despite the severe handicap our club has faced this summer in getting a whole new management structure in place and the coming and going of players. Well, this has not happened, and in hindsight, perhaps such thoughts were more fanciful than realistic. Despite good/ok performances against The Rangers and Hearts, 1 win and 2 defeats from our first 3 competitive games is not the start we would have wanted.
This said, Alan Stubbs has 2 weeks left to bring in the necessary players for the key positions mentioned. Should he succeed in this the issue then is one of gelling, which takes time. His side, I feel will not find it's flow or balance until November-ish. Until then I hope that our league results keep us within touching distance of our rivals.

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2014, 04:59 PM

:agree: And the smell of Petrie still lingers, while we are dreadfully short of players, QUALITY players.

Pretty Boy
17-08-2014, 05:01 PM

You won't get any argument from me there.