PDA

View Full Version : Our youngsters v Their Youngsters.

Thecat23
17-08-2014, 02:38 PM
For as long as I can remember now we have dominated the under 20's and lower ages against Hearts.

Sadly when our players come through they seem to collapse when they play Hearts. Yet Hearts players Walker, Holt, Nicholson and Smith all look a lot better when stepping up.

Stanton hid all game and couldn't pass wind. Handling again didn't get involved and dropped way to deep. Harris looked alright in little spells but faded big time.

If we are to match them we must start producing players who will when making the step up actually prove their salt and show they are first team players.

Nicholson scored a screamer and has been very good for Hearts since he came in. We simply keep losing to them and always bottle it when facing their kids.

Why is this?

3pm
17-08-2014, 02:40 PM
The boy has scored a good goal but I didn't think their young boys looked that good.

Thecat23
17-08-2014, 02:42 PM
The boy has scored a good goal but I didn't think their young boys looked that good.

Really? I thought they done well. If you didn't think they were that good I'm interested to know what you thought of Harris, Handling and Stanton?

Jpdhfc
17-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Thought there youngsters played without fear unlike ours unfortunately

Judas Iscariot
17-08-2014, 02:45 PM
It's the Hibs way in afraid

The losing mentality & chicken heartedness kicks in once in the 1st team

Thecat23
17-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Thought there youngsters played without fear unlike ours unfortunately

That's what I don't get. They grew up playing these guys and beat them. Yet when it matters they bottle it.

StarMan10
17-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Only one that stood out for me was Nicholson. The rest were nothing to shout about. Harris played well first half but faded. Handling didn't get on the ball enough so was poor, and Stanton looks like Robertson at the minute, non-existent control.

Dublin07
17-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Their youngsters were miles ahead of ours. Dempster and Stubbs have made great changes already but it will take time to change things. Our club has been a shambles for years under Petrie and it won't get better over night.

Jpdhfc
That's what I don't get. They grew up playing these guys and beat them. Yet when it matters they bottle it.

I agree mate just don't know why so frustrating

3pm
Really? I thought they done well. If you didn't think they were that good I'm interested to know what you thought of Harris, Handling and Stanton?

Poor - midfield cost us the game. Rookie move from Stubbs putting his faith in those 3.

Edit - rookie move in as much they are unproven.

yankyhibby
17-08-2014, 02:55 PM
The mental side of our game is what concerned me before the game. We missed a penalty! Straightaway, the Jambos get a lift and those Hibs players from last season are thinking: here we go again! Alan Stubbs recognises the mental side of our game is lacking and has commented time and again on trying to instill self belief. Hearts youngsters appear to pick up on a more positive vibe when they progress to the first team: They truly believe, however weak their side is, or how badly they might play, that they will win against Hibs - as that is what the Hearts first team does as a matter of routine. The psychological edge has, once again, been won by yet another unspectacular Hearts side.
On the positive side: it is early season and we are within 3 points of the Jambos and Alan Stubbs still has time to address the issue of getting in "quality" signings who have no recollections of derby defeat after derby defeat.

Dublin07
17-08-2014, 02:56 PM

That has to be down to the coaching over the last few years. Their young guys have had a year to gel as a team. Due to petrie's failings in picking managers our players have played with constant stress and are terrified on the pitch.
It will take time but we will come good again. Stubbs is trying to play the proper hibs way but we just don't have the players yet. Nicholson is a good player and scored a great goal.
I personally don't think Stanton handling and Harris are good enough to start.

Thecat23
17-08-2014, 02:59 PM
That has to be down to the coaching over the last few years. Their young guys have had a year to gel as a team. Due to petrie's failings in picking managers our players have played with constant stress and are terrified on the pitch.
It will take time but we will come good again. Stubbs is trying to play the proper hibs way but we just don't have the players yet. Nicholson is a good player and scored a great goal.
I personally don't think Stanton handling and Harris are good enough to start.

I agree I don't think they are good enough either. They will play well against the likes of Dunbarton and teams not as good as Hearts or The Rangers. We really need to sign about 8 players but it won't happen.

Unseen work
17-08-2014, 03:04 PM
They were just better today IMO as they had more of the ball in better positions due do the experienced players buaben and gomis dominating and feeding them the ball, Craig and Robertson barely made a pass

I only though Nicholson looked good for them. Harris was good in spells but it was in our half as he was pinned back and can't remember him getting a chance to run at the full back once. Handling was good when he got the ball but rarely got it. Stanton is off his game right now

Septimus
17-08-2014, 03:09 PM
Could it be that their support is right behind them all the time?

Ross89
17-08-2014, 03:11 PM

Another cracker - it's the fans fault again.

Get a grip!

HappyAsHellas
17-08-2014, 03:15 PM

In the second half you never heard the Yam fans at all until they went 2 up - FACT

Dave-O
17-08-2014, 03:16 PM

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?288580-The-Hibs-Fans

Alfred E Newman
17-08-2014, 03:20 PM

That comment is an insult to the 3500 who were there today.

erin go bragh
17-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Thought our younsters done ok . Wish one of them took the pen .

Ggtth

BH Hibs
17-08-2014, 03:41 PM
I think it's because their senior players give them the platform to go out and play with freedom as they have their backs. Whereas ours are relying on the young boys to do it on their own putting them under pressure.

Carheenlea
17-08-2014, 04:09 PM

Can only assume you were not there today?

Pretty Boy
17-08-2014, 04:11 PM

What a strange comment.

Hibs support was immense today, last week and at Ibrox.

Heisenberg
17-08-2014, 04:13 PM
What today showed is we definitely need new players all over the pitch. Lacked creativity and real pace/cutting edge again. Been a main problem for ages.

inglisavhibs
17-08-2014, 05:14 PM
For as long as I can remember now we have dominated the under 20's and lower ages against Hearts.

Sadly when our players come through they seem to collapse when they play Hearts. Yet Hearts players Walker, Holt, Nicholson and Smith all look a lot better when stepping up.

Stanton hid all game and couldn't pass wind. Handling again didn't get involved and dropped way to deep. Harris looked alright in little spells but faded big time.

If we are to match them we must start producing players who will when making the step up actually prove their salt and show they are first team players.

Nicholson scored a screamer and has been very good for Hearts since he came in. We simply keep losing to them and always bottle it when facing their kids.

Why is this?
For whatever reason their youngsters are hungrier than ours. Football players have a job to do on the park and that includes working to close down players and running behind defences etc. Danny Handling played in second gear and then started trying harder when we went behind.Where is the intent to get forward and get in the opposition box? It's just not there and until our youngsters show real commitment things won't change.On another note, our two experienced midfield players have that commitment but are too slow and ponderous to be effective and Stanton is never a wide player. Hearts deserved to win simply because they had more goal threat, although they are not a team without problems either.

Purehibee_MYB
17-08-2014, 05:21 PM
I thought bar Nicholson's quality goal, Harris was the best youngster on the pitch today, he's starting to get confidence back and wanting the ball skipping past players and finding a pass. Handling is a completely different player this season so far and is really a handful, even the commentary alluded to that at one point.

Stanton is still to find his feet under Stubbs but I don't think their youngsters are any better than ours at senior level, perhaps we sometimes just expect a bit too much from them, but then I don't know how much yams expect of their youngsters...

we are hibs
17-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Can't be just me who thinks the hearts young laddies look physically stronger than ours, Harris, Stanton and handling are skinny and easily pushed of the ball and Most of their boys look bigger built.

silverhibee
17-08-2014, 05:53 PM

Stop it eh.

GreenLake
17-08-2014, 06:20 PM
What a strange comment.

Hibs support was immense today, last week and at Ibrox.

Hibs support sounded fantastic on TV coverage here and particularly loud for a period of time when I thought our subs should have come on. I only heard the yams after they scored.

Gatecrasher
17-08-2014, 06:27 PM
I don't think there's much between the two teams to be honest, hearts seem to be the better team but not by much. Also I'm glad we saw our shortcomings now when there's 2 weeks of the transfer window left and hopefully we will do something snout them.

emerald green
17-08-2014, 06:37 PM

Not true. They are happy as long as they are beating Hibs. If not, they will turn on them so quickly it will make your head spin.

It's a myth that they support their team better than the Hibs support. I remember their crowds were down below 3,000 at some games when HOMFC were a laughing stock in the days when they were relegated three times in 1976/7, 1978/9 and 1980/81 (staying down for two seasons with no Hibs or Rangers to contend with).

We used to call them the yo-yo club in those days. Lucky if they had a couple of thousand season ticket holders then.

I'm sick and tired of the Hibs supporters being criticised when the blame for the situation the club is in lies elsewhere.

erin go bragh
17-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Well said EG . When they were down for 2 seasons ,am i right in saying they came up as runners up , as St Mirren won the league .

Ggtth

emerald green
17-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Well said EG . When they were down for 2 seasons ,am i right in saying they came up as runners up , as St Mirren won the league .

Ggtth

Yes mate, they came up as runners up in 1982/3 after they were down for two seasons. It was actually St Johnstone who won the old first division though, not St Mirren. :aok: