PDA

View Full Version : Why did you not make a substitution earlier when you saw the game turning against us

VPHIBEE
17-08-2014, 01:15 PM
DearMr Stubbs

i am utterly sick of walking away from a derby with my head held low. Lots of Hibs supports could see what needed done. Why could you not see that.

you have got us playing better football, but I am still left feeling gutted.

if you are half the man I hope you are, why don't you post an answer.

VPHIBEE

Stringer
17-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Can we not crucify him after 3 competitive games. If Craig put the pen in, things would have been different

Steve20
17-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Yeah, give Stubbs a chance as he needs time to get his team together. No point people giving him abuse before he's had a chance to sort it.

What I will say is, we've known all summer we are pish in the final third and not enough has been done to sort that out. And we're already trailing Hearts by three points.

SaulGoodman
Can we not crucify him after 3 competitive games. If Craig put the pen in, things would have been different

People would've crucified him after his first game if they had a chance.

07BigD
Christ

One Day Soon
17-08-2014, 01:25 PM

But he didn't. If my aunty had baws she'd be my uncle.

I'm not interested in anything about Hibs any more other than results - another derby, another defeat and another three points gone. This is a do or die season and that result simply isn't good enough.

MWHIBBIES
17-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Fail

patch1875
Always going to be a hard game lack imagination as before el alagui is a goalscorer but no decent support.

Northernhibee

VPHIBEE

He probably has better things to be doing.

18Craig75
17-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Same problems as last year, it's just we are playing nicer football.

It's not Stubbs' fault, although I thought he could've made a couple positive changes whilst we were clearly on top before they scored.

The problem is above him. Today was so predictable.

Sergio sledge
17-08-2014, 01:29 PM

:agree: He made a mistake today not taking Robertson off far sooner and it was one of the major factors in the loss, but people saying he's as clueless as Calderwood, Fenton and Butcher are being ridiculous.

Also those that have written off our chances already need to get a grip, from what I've seen we were better than Rangers and Hearts were the same standard as us. 34 league games to go, no point in giving up yet.

Poor performance and result today without a doubt though.

bingo70
17-08-2014, 01:29 PM
I like Stubbs but he's not immune from criticism.

Robertson should have been subbed long before the first goal, he was scared to tackle. We had Allan on the bench who would be a ready made replacement.

Kennedy should have been on earlier, their full backs are *****.

Stanton should never have started.

We barely had a shot on goal against a young, nervous rookie keeper.

Stubbs ****ed up here, he needs to learn from this.

Heisenberg
17-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Not surprised we lost. Central midfield of Craig and Robertson got us relegated. Defence of Forster, Nelson and Stevenson got us relegated. So much for a summer of change.

VPHIBEE
17-08-2014, 01:33 PM
He probably has better things to be doing.

Like what? I would like an explanation why he did not see what all us Amateurs could plainly see!

R'Albin
17-08-2014, 01:33 PM
That was so utterly avoidable. It was blatantly obvious that Robertson needed taken off long before they scored.

Winston Ingram
17-08-2014, 01:35 PM
We were carrying Stanton & Handling for most of the game. He should have subbed them 5-10 mins in the 2nd half. It was the same last week as well. Heffernan & Stanton contributed the square route of f all & went off around the 80th minute.

blackpoolhibs
Like what? I would like an explanation why he did not see what all us Amateurs could plainly see!

We said the very same thing watching on the telly, both wide players did nothing all game. Why they were not hooked well before they scored is beyond me?

AgentDaleCooper
Same problems as last year, it's just we are playing nicer football

It's not Stubbs' fault, although I thought he could've made a couple positive changes whilst we were clearly on top before we scored.

The problem is above him. Today was so predictable:

:top marks

let's not contribute negatively - save that for if we don't go up. IMO there's more of a chance of forcing petrie out before the end of the season than there is stubbs, so if we absolutely need to vent our anger at someone, it's best for all parties if that person is petrie. it is genuinely his fault that we're in this position anyway.

bingo70
17-08-2014, 01:36 PM
We said the very same thing watching on the telly, both wide players did nothing all game. Why they were not hooked well before they scored is beyond me?

Robertson was always getting sent off, completely ridiculous he wasn't subbed earlier

VPHIBEE
17-08-2014, 01:38 PM

Thanks Blackpool, many posters saw this, Stubbs, why didn't you?

Greenblood70
17-08-2014, 01:38 PM
He's on the right lines, he needs more backing in the transfer market. Worrying that he seems so reticent to make changes, I hope he's learned fm that as it cost us against Rangers and didn't help today.

He'll get it right more often than get gets it wrong imo and will develop the good young players at the club. It was our experienced midfield pair who let us down (again) today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Robertson was always getting sent off, completely ridiculous he wasn't subbed earlier

Robertson and Craig had no help all game from Stanton and Harris, i agree Robertson was walking a fine line from his first booking. :agree:

Yuillsy
17-08-2014, 01:41 PM

Totally agree. An absolute joke not subbing him. The 1st goal was a wonder strike but Robertson still sold himself then the penalty was a complete joke.

SMAXXA
17-08-2014, 01:42 PM
We are gona go there and have a go, well if that's what you call having a go I'm ****ed if I know what not having a go is.

as has been said why he waited so long to make subs is beyond me, Stanton off for Kennedy, handling off for Cummings and Allan on for Robertson who was a stick on to get sent of as all he done all game was foul.

really disappointed today but we move on and focus on the next game.

matty_f
Doe the fact that you have posted more times than me give you the right to rubbish what I say?

You'll not be posting much more if that's the level of debate.

One Day Soon
He's on the right lines, he needs more backing in the transfer market. Worrying that he seems so reticent to make changes, I hope he's learned fm that as it cost us against Rangers and didn't help today.

He'll get it right more often than get gets it wrong imo and will develop the good young players at the club. It was our experienced midfield pair who let us down (again) today.

That is what Dempster is banking on but it is a strategy predicated upon aiming to be promoted in season two or three.

Northernhibee
17-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Doe the fact that you have posted more times than me give you the right to rubbish what I say?

Not a comment on amount of posts, it's just we seem to have a problem with trolling on here.

Narrow loss - if the penalty had gone in or El Alagui's header then it could have been a totally different story. To be demanding personal answers from our manager already? Seems a bit fishy to me.

Borderhibbie76
17-08-2014, 01:45 PM
No way we will go up with this current squad...just not good enough. We might get into play offs but not good enough to come thru them imo...we need 3 or 4 quality additions before end of August...over to you LD and AS...

bingo70
17-08-2014, 01:46 PM

He's git a point imo.

Doing it in open letter style was wrong but the points he's made are perfectly valid.

If he's got a hundred or a thousand posts is neither here nor there.

Greenblood70
17-08-2014, 01:47 PM
That is what Dempster is banking on but it is a strategy predicated upon aiming to be promoted in season two or three.

Agreed, I've said all along we need to strengthen the spine of the team with quality ( within our budget) and experience so we' re not over reliant on the youngsters. We lack an organiser still and Craig and Robertson run about a lot but actually contribute very little in terms of influencing a game.

VPHIBEE
17-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Why? Because I am frustrated at the Hibs.net mafia? You don't agree with what we say, so me and my pals will rubbish what you say. If that is the true spirit of hibs.net you can keep it.

I am hibs mad, I have been a Hibee for over 40 years, I am a Hibee till I die. Don't tell me I am not allowed to challenge nonsense, or you may as well close the site down and go and support the other team in Edinburgh.

lord bunberry
17-08-2014, 01:52 PM
At 0-0 the game was there to be won, why he didn't change it I'll never know. It was the same old rubbish from us.

Billy McKirdy
17-08-2014, 01:53 PM
We lost today, that's tough to take especially because it's the derby, but we're only 2 games into the season.
We all know that Stubbs has only just started the rebuilding of the team and that is far from finished, I can understand the frustrations of fans today but give it time and hopefully by the next derby we'll be in a much better state on the pitch.
Keep the faith.
GGTTH

oneone73
17-08-2014, 01:54 PM

Robertson should have been subbed long before the first goal, he was scared to tackle. We had Allan on the bench who would be a ready made replacement.

This.

GreenLake
17-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Stubbs has done a great job transforming how we play but it is a work in progress. He should have made subs earlier but I think he will learn from this game. If he trusts his players it must include the subs who deserve more than a few minutes in a game. I hate the result today but we were not entirely without misfortune, as habitual as it may be to say that. With Allan and Kennedy yet to make an impact I see light at the end of a shorter tunnel.

sesoim

:agree: Absolutely agree. The fact that we barely threatened, or even tried to threaten their goal, is the thing that annoys me most. The five midfielders were all culpable in different ways. At least Allan looked more direct when he came on.

LaMotta
Handling worked hard but was starting to tire, and give the ball away. He should have been subbed first. It was too late though as he gave the ball away in the run up to their 1st goal.

northern-hibee
17-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Why? Because I am frustrated at the Hibs.net mafia? You don't agree with what we say, so me and my pals will rubbish what you say. If that is the true spirit of hibs.net you can keep it.

I am hibs mad, I have been a Hibee for over 40 years, I am a Hibee till I die. Don't tell me I am not allowed to challenge nonsense, or you may as well close the site down and go and support the other team in Edinburgh.

Stubbs absolutely has to explain his decision not to sub Robertson. He can't tackle, he's been garbage for ever. Hibs support is on the edge he needs to start giving assurances that we don't have to put up with this crap for another season. Craig needs to be stripped of captaincy and this decision explained. If Stubbs doesn't address these two immediately then he's going to be in for a very hard time

HibeeHendo
17-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Second game of the season and it's like I've been transported to the aftermath of the Hamilton play off.

Get a grip.

sleeping giant
17-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Even my 14 year old was saying Robertson needed subbed or he was going to get sent off.

McKenzie
17-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Not a lot you can do with the players he has and the money he doesn't. Draw would've been a fairer result considering the penalty miss and El Alagui's header.

MSK
17-08-2014, 02:01 PM

I am hibs mad, I have been a Hibee for over 40 years, I am a Hibee till I die. Don't tell me I am not allowed to challenge nonsense, or you may as well close the site down and go and support the other team in Edinburgh.Debate isn't the issue ..telling someone to **** off is an issue ..

Bostonhibby
17-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Stubbs absolutely has to explain his decision not to sub Robertson. He can't tackle, he's been garbage for ever. Hibs support is on the edge he needs to start giving assurances that we don't have to put up with this crap for another season. Craig needs to be stripped of captaincy and this decision explained. If Stubbs doesn't address these two immediately then he's going to be in for a very hard time

:agree: We've had the statements about quality etc so here's a chance to prove we are moving in that direction surely. We can't have a place for what Robertson in particular contributed today?

loanheadhibby
17-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Not surprised we lost. Central midfield of Craig and Robertson got us relegated. Defence of Forster, Nelson and Stevenson got us relegated. So much for a summer of change.

agreed. What other job keeps rewarding failure. I cannot believe 8 players from last season started today. The club has no balls. I wish butcher had emptied the lot of them.

scuttle
17-08-2014, 02:06 PM
We were carrying Stanton & Handling for most of the game. He should have subbed them 5-10 mins in the 2nd half. It was the same last week as well. Heffernan & Stanton contributed the square route of f all & went off around the 80th minute.

That game was there for the taking, we sat far too deep second half and Allan and Kennedy should have been on for Stanton and Handling 15 mins before Stubbs eventually made his changes. All he early football this season so far went out the window today and we reverted to type. And ill ay it again ONE UP FRONT DOES NOT WORK ,Farid was far too isolated. Unless we sign some creativity a centre half and another striker then md table mediocrity awaits us

VPHIBEE
17-08-2014, 02:07 PM
I have received a warning for upsetting another member. Boo Hoo I say. When did Football start being a game for Jessie's who hide behind their forum and complain to the administrators.

i for one hope that Stubbs is the man for us. We are playing much nicer football than we have for years, but we still have many failings. Stubbs failed by not making the right substitutions at the right time today. I disagree with the people who say Robertson should not have started today, I thought he was great to a point, but it became apparent to many that his time to go had come.

i disagree wholeheartedly with the Hibs.net culture, that because I have typed more pieces of text than you, My opinion holds more weight nonsense. If that culture is the norm, we don't only need change on the pitch.

what is wrong wit a bit passion? That is what our team has lacked for many years, and this should not be derided.

cabbageandribs1875
17-08-2014, 02:08 PM
agreed. What other job keeps rewarding failure. I cannot believe 8 players from last season started today. The club has no balls. I wish butcher had emptied the lot of them.

Butcher was booted before he could finish the cull unfortunately, we should have kept him on as the cullivator :(

Glasgow Hibee
17-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Robertson and Craig had no help all game from Stanton and Harris, i agree Robertson was walking a fine line from his first booking. :agree:

That's what I took from the game too. I hate to say it as youth must be given their chance, but playing all three of Stanton, Harris and Handling is a mistake. They are all forward thinking players but are contributing very little on that front at the moment. Harris was very poor towards the end of last season and should have been given a rest then. He has improved a bit at the start of this season but Stanton (who was excellent at times last season) has taken a step back and looks like he needs to be withdrawn for a while. Young players tend to be like that, they start and are dynamic and confident for a month or two then go off the boil. That's why good managers start them for a while then withdraw them for a while again. If they are just kept in the team regardless the pressure gets to them and they rarely get back to their best.

Hibs1992
17-08-2014, 02:13 PM
Butcher was booted before he could finish the cull unfortunately, we should have kept him on as the cullivator :(

Jesus.

MSK
17-08-2014, 02:13 PM
I have received a warning for upsetting another member. Boo Hoo I say. When did Football start being a game for Jessie's who hide behind their forum and complain to the administrators.

i for one hope that Stubbs is the man for us. We are playing much nicer football than we have for years, but we still have many failings. Stubbs failed by not making the right substitutions at the right time today. I disagree with the people who say Robertson should not have started today, I thought he was great to a point, but it became apparent to many that his time to go had come.

i disagree wholeheartedly with the Hibs.net culture, that because I have typed more pieces of text than you, My opinion holds more weight nonsense. If that culture is the norm, we don't only need change on the pitch.

what is wrong wit a bit passion? That is what our team has lacked for many years, and this should not be derided.You were warned for personal abuse ..no-one reported it ..I just happened to read it ..if you are not happy with the forum rules then I suggest you go post somewhere else..

Ronniekirk
17-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Thanks Blackpool, many posters saw this, Stubbs, why didn't you?
He did see it but inexperience made him cautious and he was suckered into thinking we were heading for a draw and in his first derby having not created a lot of chances and seeing Craig miss the penalty he made the mistake of trying to settle for the draw.But agree even if he had replaced Robertson with Allan it may have been enough to avoid the defeat .Allan played in mid week and is being talked about as our best signing so why not give him more game time as that's the only way he will now get match fit

LancsHibs
17-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Another hugely disappointing derby defeat. Let's hope AS learns from this one. Subs were far too late and a huge reason for our defeat today.

VPHIBEE
17-08-2014, 02:20 PM
You were warned for personal abuse ..no-one reported it ..I just happened to read it ..if you are not happy with the forum rules then I suggest you go post somewhere else..

Do you have a problem with my level of passion? Maybe that is what is wrong with our club as a whole! Get a grip. The players were better than usual today, but still let us down. Stubbs let us down by not substituting when he should have. I am quite rightly an angry supporter. If you can't handle that, maybe you should go and administer Grennock Morton's website. I am a Hibee, I am proud, I am Upset. what part of that are you not getting!

paul_hfc3
17-08-2014, 02:21 PM

Put the crack pipe down

Thecat23
17-08-2014, 02:26 PM
I'm now convinced when a manager signs he's told by the board not to use subs before 80 mins to save money Incase they score and have to pay a goal bonus!!

Yes that is tongue in cheek btw! But I am baffled how we don't use subs when a player or players are playing poor. I'm all for building confidence but how is Stanton getting a game weekly and Robbo not subbed after his 1000000th foul?

VPHIBEE
17-08-2014, 02:30 PM
I'm now convinced when a manager signs he's told by the board not to use subs before 80 mins to save money Incase they score and have to pay a goal bonus!!

Yes that is tongue in cheek btw! But I am baffled how we don't use subs when a player or players are playing poor. I'm all for building confidence but how is Stanton getting a game weekly and Robbo not subbed after his 1000000th foul?

Thank god some sense!

Northern Hibby
17-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Like Stubbs, like the football we're playing but everybody saw the changes that should have been made, I'll give Stubbs the benefit of the doubt just pisses me off that it had to be against them!

MSK
17-08-2014, 02:31 PM
Do you have a problem with my level of passion? Maybe that is what is wrong with our club as a whole! Get a grip. The players were better than usual today, but still let us down. Stubbs let us down by not substituting when he should have. I am quite rightly an angry supporter. If you can't handle that, maybe you should go and administer Grennock Morton's website. I am a Hibee, I am proud, I am Upset. what part of that are you not getting!You are obviously spoiling for trouble aren't you .. I think you are struggling to work out the concept between debate & personal abuse ...the latter of which why you received your warning ..I would advise you to wind your neck in a bit though..you aint doing yourself any favours ..

Glasgow Hibee
17-08-2014, 02:37 PM
You are obviously spoiling for trouble aren't you .. I think you are struggling to work out the concept between debate & personal abuse ...the latter of which why you received your warning ..I would advise you to wind your neck in a bit though..you aint doing yourself any favours ..

Obviously personal abuse helps no-one but I don't think VPHIBEE has done anything particularly wrong. He is obviously upset about the result as we all are and I actually don't think your veiled threats are helping.

Winston Ingram
17-08-2014, 02:39 PM

Really. That twat got us relegated

cabbageandribs1875
17-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Put the crack pipe down

i'l let you put it down for me

cam2644
17-08-2014, 02:41 PM
After years of disappointment, there is no patience left among the supporters and that's so understandable. However what option is there other than give the new set up time to build things up within the obvious financial restraints they are under.To fire bullets after just the second game is not going to help. Hearts and Rangers are not that impressive and we will have plenty of chances as the season goes on. Don't jump off the cliff yet!

cabbageandribs1875
17-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Really. That twat got us relegated

yes really, at least he had the guts to get shot of a load of dross, dross that would otherwise still be at this club

Glasgow Hibee
17-08-2014, 02:44 PM
After years of disappointment, there is no patience left among the supporters and that's so understandable. However what option is there other than give the new set up time to build things up within the obvious financial restraints they are under.To fire bullets after just the second game is not going to help. Hearts and Rangers are not that impressive and we will have plenty of chances as the season goes on. Don't jump off the cliff yet!

Of course you're right. But straight after a defeat is a difficult time to have a clear head :-)

tamig
17-08-2014, 02:55 PM
That's what I took from the game too. I hate to say it as youth must be given their chance, but playing all three of Stanton, Harris and Handling is a mistake. They are all forward thinking players but are contributing very little on that front at the moment. Harris was very poor towards the end of last season and should have been given a rest then. He has improved a bit at the start of this season but Stanton (who was excellent at times last season) has taken a step back and looks like he needs to be withdrawn for a while. Young players tend to be like that, they start and are dynamic and confident for a month or two then go off the boil. That's why good managers start them for a while then withdraw them for a while again. If they are just kept in the team regardless the pressure gets to them and they rarely get back to their best.

Harris did nothing wrong today imo and was one of the positives for us. I've said for months that Stanton is no wide player. If he has to play him it must be centrally. He contributes nothing from wide left.

NAE NOOKIE
17-08-2014, 03:27 PM
After a 50/50 first half in which neither team made a chance worth the name .... soft penalty not withstanding I had hoped we would come out and go for it. Instead of that we dropped back and did nothing at all ...... the Yams utterly dominated the second 45 and as a result deserved to win the game.

Robertson was 2nd to every challenge from 30 minutes in and it was a bad error by Stubbs not to sub him. Stanton was doing nothing and Harris was no threat at all in the final 3rd .... all 3 should have been subbed well before the first change was made.

Well done to El Alagui for a super goal .... deserved it for playing the whole game with little or no back up .... James Collins will sympathise.

Well done to Oxley for a brilliant save in the first half.

For all of their possession after half time I didn't think the Yams were anything to get excited about ....... luckily for them the ref equalled things up with a 2nd soft penalty and Hibs made it easy for them by being utterly pish in the 2nd half.

Not good enough from us ............. we have a long way to go.

erin go bragh
17-08-2014, 03:28 PM

Spot on Bingo .

Ggtth

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2014, 03:29 PM
After a 50/50 first half in which neither team made a chance worth the name .... soft penalty not withstanding I had hoped we would come out and go for it. Instead of that we dropped back and did nothing at all ...... the Yams utterly dominated the second 45 and as a result deserved to win the game.

Robertson was 2nd to every challenge from 30 minutes in and it was a bad error by Stubbs not to sub him. Stanton was doing nothing and Harris was no threat at all in the final 3rd .... all 3 should have been subbed well before the first change was made.

Well done to El Alagui for a super goal .... deserved it for playing the whole game with little or no back up .... James Collins will sympathise.

Well done to Oxley for a brilliant save in the first half.

For all of their possession after half time I didn't think the Yams were anything to get excited about ....... luckily for them the ref equalled things up with a 2nd soft penalty and Hibs made it easy for them by being utterly pish in the 2nd half.

Not good enough from us ............. we have a long way to go.

Sums the game up perfectly. :top marks

The Gorf
17-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Who's crucifying him? The posters only asking him the same question thousands of other Hibs fans are asking in their heads.

MrRobot
17-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Think I would rather he spent his time looking for new players and going over the game with the players than come on here and answer questions.

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-08-2014, 05:01 PM
I've been very impressed with Stubbs so far but leaving Robertson on that park was one of the worst and most baffling decisions I can remember for a long time. On four occasions I literally screamed to get him off before he got sent off. I mean it was so glaringly obvious it was actually ridiculous. He wasn't even having a good game! Kennedy should have been on the second McHattie got booked as well to run at him.
I get that Stubbs is inexperienced and these things will happen, however it worries me that he didn't make these decisions

Sweet Left Peg
17-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Robertson was chasing tails long before his red. He should have been subbed as he was already booked. Whether that would have changed the outcome of the match is not known but it was glaringly obvious.

For what it's worth, I thought on balance and especially on the second half showing that Hearts deserved to sneak it. Harris was good first half and Oxley had an awesome save too first half. But we need more cohesion and link up play in the final third.

Phil D. Rolls
18-08-2014, 07:15 AM
DearMr Stubbs

i am utterly sick of walking away from a derby with my head held low. Lots of Hibs supports could see what needed done. Why could you not see that.

you have got us playing better football, but I am still left feeling gutted.

VPHIBEE

Open letters are so transparent. That, and "Mr. Stubbs".

Franck Stanton
18-08-2014, 01:04 PM

This exactly sums up what I thought as well.

HappyAsHellas
18-08-2014, 01:18 PM
AS said everyone would get a chance, like a new start if you will. Perhaps he's going to wait a few games before making changes. If he wants to see a player 6 or 8 times before thinking about signing him, then he may want to see most of his own players bedding in as it were. I think the substitutions may well have been made earlier as they had to double up on Kennedy as soon as he came on. It's hard to think about giving everyone a bit more time, but I think we will have to. The turn around at our club will not happen in a week or two, and losing to them again doesn't make it any easier, but when I look over the hill, I do not, as yet, see famine and pestilence. Keep the faith people, this will turn out good in the end.