PDA

View Full Version : Nelson told he can leave

Hibeesmad
15-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Sky Sports understands Hibernian are open to offers for experienced defender Michael Nelson.

Nelson has held talks with new Hibs boss Alan Stubbs to discuss his future and both parties have come to an agreement he can move on if a suitable offer is made.

The 34-year-old joined Hibs last summer from Bradford, but was unable to prevent the side from suffering relegation from the Scottish Premiership.

Nelson, who made 34 appearances last season, has been informed he might find his first-team opportunities limited this term and that the club will not stand in his way if he wants to leave Easter Road in search of regular action.

Nelson's agent, Clive Hart, confirmed the former Hartlepool and Norwich defender was weighing up his options.

"Alan [Stubbs] has spoken to Michael and told him his opportunities are likely to be limited this season and that the club won't stand in his way if the right opportunity comes along," Hart told Sky Sports.

"Hibs have been very understanding in the whole thing and Alan has told Michael he is happy to have him around the club if nothing arises as he is very good to have around the place."

sleeping giant
15-08-2014, 04:26 PM
"Open to offers"

Jeez ! Are we expecting a fee ?:greengrin

Hibeesmad
15-08-2014, 04:27 PM
"Open to offers"

Would be a bit cheeky but didn't we pay a small fee for him? 😐

SMAXXA
15-08-2014, 04:27 PM
:agree:

He appreciates the honesty from Stubbs and it won't be a case of a bitter player slating the manager and decision. Fully expect he will move on or have his contract terminated by mutual consent by the end of this window.

Golden Bear
15-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Sky Sports understands Hibernian are open to offers for experienced defender Michael Nelson.

Nelson has held talks with new Hibs boss Alan Stubbs to discuss his future and both parties have come to an agreement he can move on if a suitable offer is made.

The 34-year-old joined Hibs last summer from Bradford, but was unable to prevent the side from suffering relegation from the Scottish Premiership.

Nelson, who made 34 appearances last season, has been informed he might find his first-team opportunities limited this term and that the club will not stand in his way if he wants to leave Easter Road in search of regular action.

Nelson's agent, Clive Hart, confirmed the former Hartlepool and Norwich defender was weighing up his options.

"Alan [Stubbs] has spoken to Michael and told him his opportunities are likely to be limited this season and that the club won't stand in his way if the right opportunity comes along," Hart told Sky Sports.

"Hibs have been very understanding in the whole thing and Alan has told Michael he is happy to have him around the club if nothing arises as he is very good to have around the place."

If he does leave then I wish the guy all the best.

Let's hope this announcement doesn't lead to a spate of "undignified posts" - I'm sure we're better than that.

:rolleyes:

Hibeesmad
15-08-2014, 04:30 PM
:agree:

He appreciates the honesty from Stubbs and it won't be a case of a bitter player slating the manager and decision. Fully expect he will move on or have his contract terminated by mutual consent by the end of this window.

With a defender coming in on loan from Everton?

Hibeesmad
15-08-2014, 04:32 PM

Let's hope this announcement doesn't lead to a spate of "undignified posts" - I'm sure we're better than that.

I agree, he was another player who was solid until Butcher came in, leave the guy move on and just concentrate on the team we have now taking us to the top of the league 👍

JeMeSouviens
15-08-2014, 04:32 PM
"Open to offers"

More likely how much compo we have to pay him for the remainder of his contract.

weecounty hibby
15-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the efforts big man. Always a tried and gave his best. Not the best we've ever had but by no means the worst. Good luck for the future.

Scottie
15-08-2014, 04:35 PM

Fully agree GB

Has showed dignity and class in connection with the keyboard warriors on here twitter and Facebook incident's.

Good luck in your search for a new club Michael.

StarMan10
15-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Interesting to see as he's our only other first team cb option at the minute. Booth has been playing on the left of 3 during pre season but not sure about him in a 2. The young lad Gardiner, Stubbs might think he can step up. Would expect at least one cb brought in if Nelson leaves though.

IanM
15-08-2014, 04:37 PM

Well said that bear

Winston Ingram
15-08-2014, 04:37 PM
Anyone know any taxidermists?

Hibeesmad
15-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Interesting to see as he's our only other first team cb option at the minute. Booth has been playing on the left of 3 during pre season but not sure about him in a 2. The young lad Gardiner, Stubbs might think he can step up. Would expect at least one cb brought in if Nelson leaves though.

I saw Stubbs mention in an interview about 2 weeks ago he still wants another defender so maybe something will come of this. A decent centre back who can play right back would be perfect as it could also count as cover for Gray

trev the hat
15-08-2014, 04:43 PM
"Open to offers"

Open to offers is can a club pay his wage to me, a player I'd like to see move on & who's wage could be the reason he's still here.

Winston Ingram
15-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Open to offers is can a club pay his wage to me, a player I'd like to see move on & who's wage could be the reason he's still here.

I suspect he'll be one of the higher earners. We'll most likely have to sub his wages

Smartie
15-08-2014, 04:52 PM
I'm a wee bit disappointed about this.

I've always thought he was unfairly singled out by our fans and nowhere near as bad as people may have made out. Ok he's slow, very slow but I reckon the hoofball that he was castigated for was merely what Butcher wanted him to do. He's solid enough to be cover at the level we're at (albeit I think we'd need better if we went up) and has the kind of experience that our younger lads could really benefit from having around. By all accounts he's a good pro and you could never accuse him of not giving his all.

That said, there will always be casualties when a new manager comes in. Stubbs has impressed me with his early actions and if this is what he thinks then I'm fully behind him.

hibsbollah
15-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Am I allowed to say 'good move Hibs, im pleased to see the back of his shocking distribution', or does that qualify as 'undignified'?

Bronson
15-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Honest pro, not a good footballer. Never his biggest fan but I appreciate the fact he always gave his all. Pleased to see he's being allowed to move on as I'd much rather have Forster and Hanlon form a solid partnership.

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2014, 04:55 PM
It must mean we have another central defender coming in, unless Stubbs is getting his boots back on.

PISTOL1875
15-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Am I allowed to say 'good move Hibs, im pleased to see the back of his shocking distribution', or does that qualify as 'undignified'?

I for one echo that statement. Never in my life have I seen a central defender be squared up so many times..

Gerard
15-08-2014, 05:00 PM
It must mean we have another central defender coming in, unless Stubbs is getting his boots back on.

Perhaps AS wants a return to football as a PM:wink::greengrin

SMAXXA
15-08-2014, 05:02 PM
With a defender coming in on loan from Everton?

Not guaranteed there's another player on the radar for that position but he's not from Everton. Think Stubbs isn't putting all his eggs I'm one basket and quite rightly so.

Pretty Boy
15-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Couldn't ever fault Nelson for effort.

I think this is a sensible decision but I wish him well if and when he leaves.

Saturday Boy
15-08-2014, 05:15 PM
All the best to him if he leaves. Never a world beater, but a solid centre half form August to December, who chipped in with 3 goals, before the whole team imploded.

emerald green
15-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Probably best for all concerned if Nelson moves on. Hibs are now trying to develop a passing game and that style of play IMO does not suit Michael Nelson.

Best of luck at your new club when that happens. Could never fault the guy for lack of effort.

dp00
15-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Looking on twitter it looks like Nelsons family stay down south while he is up here. Could there be a bit of him wanting to get closer to his family aswell

DTS
15-08-2014, 05:46 PM
At the start of last season he was hailed as exactly what we needed a no nonsense centre half who just clears his lines, as the season wore on he became a scapegoat and he perhaps got a lot more abuse than deserved including from myself. I think he's a good enough defender to have as cover at this level, but if he does leave I wish him all the best in the last few years of his career

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-08-2014, 05:53 PM
A defender of limited ability but unlimited effort roundly hounded after every game for not being Bobby Moore. Not sure why that is worse than plenty ability but no effort?

hibee6
15-08-2014, 05:57 PM

well said GB

Sir David Gray
15-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Can't argue with this decision but we absolutely must have a couple of centre halves in mind over the next couple of weeks.

If Nelson does go, it only leaves Hanlon and Forster in that position.

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Can't argue with this decision but we absolutely must have a couple of centre halves in mind over the next couple of weeks.

If Nelson does go, it only leaves Hanlon and Forster in that position.

Yip, if not its football suicide to only leave yourself with 2 centre halves, unless Stubbs feels the kids are good enough?

snooky
15-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Yip, if not its football suicide to only leave yourself with 2 centre halves, unless Stubbs feels the kids are good enough?

Whatever happened to centre half & sweeper? :hmmm:

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Whatever happened to centre half & sweeper? :hmmm:

One of them got injured. :wink:

Winston Ingram
15-08-2014, 08:45 PM

Tom Gardiner is supposed to be very highly thought of. Saying that. 3 isn't enough. saying that, other than at CM our squad is very thin:agree:

Albanian Hibs
15-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Pleasing

lord bunberry
15-08-2014, 09:22 PM
I seem to remember some people in the stands telling him he could leave last season, or words to that effect.

Dalkeith Hibee
15-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Cant believe its taken this long for this to happen. He is one of the reasons we are now in this league. If it was true that McPake was fit for the last 10 weeks of the season, then Im shocked Butcher played Nelson ahead of him

Borderhibbie76
15-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Cant believe its taken this long for this to happen. He is one of the reasons we are now in this league. If it was true that McPake was fit for the last 10 weeks of the season, then Im shocked Butcher played Nelson ahead of him
Im not one of Nelsons greatest fans and wont be sorry to see him go but Butcher is the main reason we r in this league...so not shocked at all! FWIW mcpake wasn't the answer either imo...

Cameron1875
15-08-2014, 11:19 PM
Comes across well on twitter and seems to be good family man so don't want to slate the guys football ability.

All i'll say is, its pleasing that Stubbs identifies he's not good enough rather than the previous manager who made him vice captain.

J-C
15-08-2014, 11:59 PM
Honest pro, not a good footballer. Never his biggest fan but I appreciate the fact he always gave his all. Pleased to see he's being allowed to move on as I'd much rather have Forster and Hanlon form a solid partnership.

This.

ManBearPig
16-08-2014, 12:08 AM
ill be sorry to see him leave. nice guy and he and hanlon were good together. and as much as everyone had lots to say about him and mcgivern the biggest preoblem last season was at the other ensd of pitch. good luck to him.

JJP
16-08-2014, 12:24 AM
ill be sorry to see him leave. nice guy and he and hanlon were good together. and as much as everyone had lots to say about him and mcgivern the biggest preoblem last season was at the other ensd of pitch. good luck to him.

Agree with everything you say. All the best to MN if he is leaving.

Winston Ingram
16-08-2014, 06:32 AM

I'm not. Butcher's an ********

Winston Ingram
16-08-2014, 06:35 AM

You have very low standards. Hanlon was decent. Nelson :bitchy:

DC_Hibs
16-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Would be a bit cheeky but didn't we pay a small fee for him? 😐

That's right loon. I paid good money for a triple pack of (jumbo sized obviously) french letters that were all used (vigorously) last night when I double dipped a couple of supermodels up for the fest (oh lordy).

I paid good money for them so I want a fee when I sell them on.

Sucker?

we are hibs
16-08-2014, 08:15 AM
Goodbye.

marinello59
16-08-2014, 08:18 AM

Well said. It was our inability to score that lead to relegation.
Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

One Day
16-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Agree with everything you say. All the best to MN if he is leaving.

Yes,, Goodbye and good luck

Aldo
16-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Hopefully freeing up some wages for further additions to the squad.

basehibby
16-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Honest tryer and I've no doubt that the comments about him being a good presence about the place are true. But with his hit and hope approach to distribution from the back he is not the kind of player who will get us into the top half of the SPL which is what we should be building for NOW. Good move Stubbs - confirms to me that he knows exactly what he's doing and is leaving no stone unturned in his quest to improve the team.

HFC 0-7
16-08-2014, 09:55 AM
At the start of last season he was hailed as exactly what we needed a no nonsense centre half who just clears his lines, as the season wore on he became a scapegoat and he perhaps got a lot more abuse than deserved including from myself. I think he's a good enough defender to have as cover at this level, but if he does leave I wish him all the best in the last few years of his career

Clear lines when needed, unfortunately he didn't want to make an easy pass when one was on. I think we all thought he would come in and organise our defence, be a leader and command the defence. It never panned out that way and he added to the issues we had. If you look at the way we play now he just doesn't fit in. IMO, if he played in this team now he would come in for even more abuse from the stands as his style of play would look even more at odds with the rest of the team.

Turkish Green
16-08-2014, 10:33 AM
At present there is only a first team squad of ni-ni-ni-ni-nineteen players. If Nelson goes then that leaves a defence of five players of which three are full backs.

There is no cover should Hanlon or Forster get injured or suspended. Maybe AS has now to work under a revolving door policy of "one out, one in".

Whatever, I had no confidence in Nelson anyway.

cmcd
16-08-2014, 12:34 PM
You just answered your own question

le bill
16-08-2014, 12:44 PM

Thank god for that
Truluu

silverhibee
16-08-2014, 12:50 PM

They may well be good enough BH but they may pick up injuries and there will be suspensions to worry about as well, we need another CH in as cover for them, it would be madness not to get another CH in before the window closes.

Leith Green
16-08-2014, 12:58 PM
Good luck to the guy, his nickname of Admiral Hoofball made me laugh though!

Leith Green
16-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Im not one of Nelsons greatest fans and wont be sorry to see him go but Butcher is the main reason we r in this league...so not shocked at all! FWIW mcpake wasn't the answer either imo...

Butcher is the main reason we are in this division, and Fenlons signings are a big factor as well. Put together they are the formula no football fan wants for their team

My_Wife_Camille
16-08-2014, 01:10 PM
:agree: Michael Nelson is a perfect embodiment of all that was wrong with the Hibernian squad last season. Slow, cumbersome and completely lacking in any sort of quality.

I am delighted that our manager feels that players of Michael Nelsons standard are not good enough to play for Hibernian.

Billy Whizz
16-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Stubbs said there could be comings and goings, wonder who else may move on?

Stevie Reid
16-08-2014, 01:23 PM

Well said. Was unfortunate to get a nasty injury just as he was showing his best form for us, and was far from the only one culpable in our inexorable decline under the idiots that were Butcher and Malpas.

I wish him well.

Borderhibbie76
16-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Stubbs said there could be comings and goings, wonder who else may move on?
Id hazard a guess Tudor Jones may be shown the exit before the end of the month also...

J-C
16-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Id hazard a guess Tudor Jones may be shown the exit before the end of the month also...

doesn't offer anything as far as i can see, we need better.

Borderhibbie76
16-08-2014, 01:39 PM
doesn't offer anything as far as i can see, we need better.
Agreed

NAE NOOKIE
16-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Good luck Michael wherever you end up. Effort was never in doubt, though skill was a bit of an issue unfortunately, got a lot of stick for that in front of better players who tried a hell of a lot less. Think we would be pushed to get a fee for him, unless it was 10K or less.

Agree with other posters about OTJ .... The previous two managers didn't appear to rate him and under Stubbs he looks like being a fringe player too. By the looks of it if there is a player in there its never going to be for us. He's only 29 so perhaps it time for him to try his luck elsewhere.

yankyhibby
16-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Good luck to the guy. I like to think that no professional player deliberately sets out to play badly. He, unfortunately, found himself exposed time and again in a rear guard that lacked confidence and belief.

Smartie
16-08-2014, 03:58 PM
I reckon Stubbs may be looking at the "value" that our remaining players offer when he's considering some late wheeling and dealing. Nelson was a panic buy and OTJ came from another Premier League team so you would imagine they'd be on decent wages. Probably too much to not be first picks for a First Division team whilst I think they're both handy to have around as squad players.

truehibernian
16-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Good luck Michael wherever you end up. Effort was never in doubt, though skill was a bit of an issue unfortunately, got a lot of stick for that in front of better players who tried a hell of a lot less. Think we would be pushed to get a fee for him, unless it was 10K or less.

Agree with other posters about OTJ .... The previous two managers didn't appear to rate him and under Stubbs he looks like being a fringe player too. By the looks of it if there is a player in there its never going to be for us. He's only 29 so perhaps it time for him to try his luck elsewhere.

Tudur Jones offers absolutely nothing, defensively or offensively - he's a good wage we could use far far better.

I'd place him in the Ed de Graaf category of a player who spent so long on the pitch yet offered zero in any footballing sense.

Awful player, zero pace, heart the size of a pea as well - jeez I'm getting angrier and angrier as I think of him still here !!!

bingo70
16-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Tudur Jones offers absolutely nothing, defensively or offensively - he's a good wage we could use far far better.

I'd place him in the Ed de Graaf category of a player who spent so long on the pitch yet offered zero in any footballing sense.

Awful player, zero pace, heart the size of a pea as well - jeez I'm getting angrier and angrier as I think of him still here !!!

I try to look for something positive in him when he plays, he surely must have something to get in the wakes squad.

I just don't see it either though, he's utter gash.

EdinMike
16-08-2014, 04:34 PM
I try to look for something positive in him when he plays, he surely must have something to get in the wakes squad.

I just don't see it either though, he's utter gash.

And for a man his size I think I won more headers playing basketball...

patch1875
17-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Defended well I thought but usual woeful distribution don't understand if he's 3rd choice CB why say he can go!?

Hopefully someone coming in.

Brightside
17-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Thought he had a very decent day today. Sow stood next to him seeing him as the weak link by Sow did nothing all day. His distribution was still poor tho.

Pray4Marc
17-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Nelson was solid today. Kept Zlatan Ibrohmivic quiet.

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Thought he was excellent today

JimBHibees
17-08-2014, 05:10 PM

Yep very solid and defended well.

Phil MaGlass
17-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Nelson, my Hibs motm today, sorry

Pretty Boy
17-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Done what I expected today. Won almost everything in the air against Sow and frustrated him.

HibeeHendo
17-08-2014, 05:25 PM
The whole defence had Sow in their back pocket.

Pray4Marc
17-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Took a right sore one from Zlatan Ibrahomivic in the 1sr half. Zlatans lucky he wasn't sent off for the 1st elbow

CraigHibee
17-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Took a right sore one from Zlatan Ibrahomivic in the 1sr half. Zlatans lucky he wasn't sent off for the 1st elbow

He should have been emptied for the 1st elbow, not sure why he wasnt even booked tbh, glad it got spotted the 2nd time and he got sent off.

I thought nelson had a decent game today

Holmesdale Hibs
17-08-2014, 06:51 PM
He did ok today and our squad is too thin to empty him. I don't have a problem with him staying and he is good enough to be a squad player in the first division.

emerald green
17-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Hands up here! I've criticised Michael Nelson a lot on these threads, and I still think that he is unsuited to the style of play AS is trying to introduce.

However, credit where it's due, he never shirks a tackle or header and he can't be accused of lack of effort. The squad is so threadbare, Hibs need to keep him at least until a replacement (who is better) can be brought in.

Whether Hibs can afford to pay the sort of wages to get a good CB in is what worries me.

Judas Iscariot
17-08-2014, 07:13 PM
One of his biggest cirrus but had a decent game

Must mention just how hard a ****er he must be, took another sore one and played on just like the fractured cheek against Celtc

After today, I'd keep him

SMAXXA
17-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Credit where it's due I thought he was excellent today defensively but distribution was poor. We are so thin we need him to stay unless we get someone else in. Thought him and Forster dealt with that big sow very well.

Bishop Hibee
17-08-2014, 07:48 PM
He'd get in my worst ever Hibs XI but he played well today given his limitations. Sow is worse than Ngoo on that performance though. Thug right out of the Hertz school that brought us Busby, Walter Kidd, Ian Black, Neil Berry etc.

If we do move him on, we need an experienced better quality CH to replace him. That costs money which will come from where exactly :confused:

scoopyboy
17-08-2014, 08:00 PM
He'd get in my worst ever Hibs XI but he played well today given his limitations. Sow is worse than Ngoo on that performance though. Thug right out of the Hertz school that brought us Busby, Walter Kidd, Ian Black, Neil Berry etc.

If we do move him on, we need an experienced better quality CH to replace him. That costs money which will come from where exactly :confused:

I would keep Nelson and use whatever money is available to strengthen elsewhere.

Billy Whizz
17-08-2014, 08:01 PM
I would keep Nelson and use whatever money is available to strengthen elsewhere.

Does he want to stay anyway Scoopyboy?

One Day
17-08-2014, 08:09 PM

He was

scoopyboy
17-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Does he want to stay anyway Scoopyboy?

My info is he is more than happy to stay.

Guy seemingly loves playing football and could play in the 20s to help the laddies progress.

First to admit he is limited but I would prefer to keep him and use the money for other areas in the team.

bob12345
17-08-2014, 08:16 PM
He was good today because the same was perfectly suited to him.

- Playing against a striker of a similar physique to himself. It was a battle, no great skill involved.
- Defending was all about making tackles, blocks and winning headers. No players running at him (with the exception of Hearts' first goal) and no space for any balls to be played in behind him. At no stage was our line anywhere near the halfway line, we were always deep.
- Because of the pace of the game, no player had time on the ball, so there was no expectation for them to do anything other than play it long.

All of this suited him perfectly. It's unlikely this style of game will happen against anyone other than Hearts. We'll be pushed up and relying on our defenders starting attacks. The opposition will look to spring us on the counter and get our defence turned.

Because of this, he needs to go.

dp00
17-08-2014, 09:21 PM
If say we keep him and use money elsewhere .. ... Team needs experience and he is good cover

Boyle89
17-08-2014, 10:20 PM
He was very good today. Can't remember sow winning a single header (except maybe the 2 where he elbowed Nelson). Have to commend the guy for still throwing himself into every challenge after what looked like a really sore one. I think he's poor but if he keeps playing like he did today we must keep him especially with how thin we are at the back.