PDA

View Full Version : Boerrigter served, and use of video evidence

CallumLaidlaw
15-08-2014, 02:56 PM
@TyroneSTV: Celtic winger Dirk Boerrigter has been served with an SFA Notice of complaint for diving to win a penalty against St Johnstone in midweek

Interesting that FIFA have brought up the idea of video replays again today, with the idea that each manager would get 2-3 challenges a game. Personally I like this idea. It wouldn't delay the game much. You probably would find that not all 6 challenges would be used as it would only be for penalties/red cards/ goal line clearances.

The problem with retrospective action like Boerrigter is that it was St Johnstone that lost out, and even although they're saying Boerrigter dived, St Johnstone are just having to put up with losing the penalty.
If it had been dealt with at the time, St Johnstone were still well involved in that game and could have got something out of it

JimBHibees
15-08-2014, 02:58 PM
@TyroneSTV: Celtic winger Dirk Boerrigter has been served with an SFA Notice of complaint for diving to win a penalty against St Johnstone in midweek

Interesting that FIFA have brought up the idea of video replays again today, with the idea that each manager would get 2-3 challenges a game. Personally I like this idea. It wouldn't delay the game much. You probably would find that not all 6 challenges would be used as it would only be for penalties/red cards/ goal line clearances.

The problem with retrospective action like Boerrigter is that it was St Johnstone that lost out, and even although they're saying Boerrigter dived, St Johnstone are just having to put up with losing the penalty.
If it had been dealt with at the time, St Johnstone were still well involved in that game and could have got something out of it

And also a man for the rest of the game.

R11Loaded
15-08-2014, 03:07 PM
A system similar to tennis' hawk eye where each player gets three challenges would work for me

ballengeich
15-08-2014, 03:16 PM
The only way I can see to deal with diving is by punishing the team. If points were deducted when a player's found to have dived then peer pressure from teammates and managerial wrath would soon put an end to it.

KeithTheHibby
15-08-2014, 03:19 PM

Based on that is it safe to assume that the clown of referee is punished too?

CropleyWasGod
15-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Based on that is it safe to assume that the clown of referee is punished too?
Can't agree with that.

The ref gets one shot at it. The video review gets as many as he needs.

Arch Stanton
15-08-2014, 03:27 PM
The only way I can see to deal with diving is by punishing the team. If points were deducted when a player's found to have dived then peer pressure from teammates and managerial wrath would soon put an end to it.

For me, this also applies to the professional foul where someone is taken out and the culprit is lauded for 'taking one for the team'. Better if that team could be penalised during the match - so many cards during a game and they lose a substitution - something like that.

Waxy
15-08-2014, 03:34 PM
A system similar to tennis' hawk eye where each player gets three challenges would work for me

Spot on. You don't lose a challenge if found to be correct.

GreenLake
15-08-2014, 04:11 PM

Or six challenges if it's Beaton or Thompson.

HibsMax
15-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Works in the NFL. Refs make mistakes. Not all calls can be challenged. The challenge has to be made before play restarts (within reason). Two challenges per game but if you make two and they are both correct, you get a bonus challenge. What's different is that in the NFL if the coach screws up the team loses a timeout. I can't quite see how the same punishment can be given out in football.

weecounty hibby
15-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Works in the NFL. Refs make mistakes. Not all calls can be challenged. The challenge has to be made before play restarts (within reason). Two challenges per game but if you make two and they are both correct, you get a bonus challenge. What's different is that in the NFL if the coach screws up the team loses a timeout. I can't quite see how the same punishment can be given out in football.

Why does there need to be a punishment for a wrong challenge? There is no punishment in tennis for a wrong challenge. And also no punishment for refs when they are wrong. The team should just lose the challenge

HibsMax
15-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Why does there need to be a punishment for a wrong challenge? There is no punishment in tennis for a wrong challenge. And also no punishment for refs when they are wrong. The team should just lose the challenge
There doesn't have to be a punishment. I just think that the possibility of losing a challenge is enough to make coaches think twice about using one. I know that a failed challenge means you have one less challenge but challenges are not as important as timeouts and can therefor be abused e.g., a coach could make a timeout just to break up the play which in a game like American football can be pivotal if your D needs a breather. The loss of timeout is something that I think works very well in American football. I don't think that part of the rule can be applied to football though.

Jack Hackett
15-08-2014, 05:07 PM

Spot on :agree:

With the current system, the team on the end of the wrong decision get punished, often losing a player for part of the game. Retrospective punishment of a player benefits other teams, not the offended team. There's no balance

emerald green
15-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Can't agree with that.

The ref gets one shot at it. The video review gets as many as he needs.

I often wonder why it is that the referee's assistant usually fails to see these blatant dives too. Are both of them "unsighted"? :cb

sbell1875
15-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Watch this Mackay's red card won't get rescinded now such is the moronic nature of the powers that be.

Sir David Gray
15-08-2014, 06:29 PM
I would make it three unsuccessful appeals per team, the appeals can only be made by the team manager or team captain and in cup ties, if the game goes to extra time, each team gets one additional appeal.

I would also change the rules so that anyone found guilty of cheating/diving is punished with a red card instead of the yellow card that they get just now.

Diclonius
15-08-2014, 06:55 PM

I've thought for a while now that a straight red card for diving in the box would be the best solution.

snooky
15-08-2014, 07:02 PM
I've thought for a while now that a straight red card for diving in the box would be the best solution.
:agree: .....and up to one yard outside the box (for those with 'Thomson's Line-Blind Syndrome')

frazeHFC
15-08-2014, 08:05 PM
Spot on. You don't lose a challenge if found to be correct.

That would be terrible, game would go on for hours stop start.

ballengeich
15-08-2014, 08:13 PM

I wouldn't object, but my suggestion for points deductions was more directed against the ones which aren't caught during the game, like the Boerrigter case that started this thread.

Waxy
15-08-2014, 10:34 PM
That would be terrible, game would go on for hours stop start.I'd rather that than let the officials help their employees win.