PDA

View Full Version : NHC Tony Pulis Leaves Crystal Palace

R'Albin
14-08-2014, 08:37 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/14/tony-pulis-crystal-palace-leaves

Absolutely nuts after last season, Palace fans must be gutted.

The good part of this news though is that it reminded me of this Vine's existence:

https://vine.co/v/MeaB03x7JWA

3pm
14-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Change the title!!

Hermit Crab
14-08-2014, 08:39 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/14/tony-pulis-crystal-palace-leaves

Absolutely nuts after last season, Palace fans must be gutted.

The good part of this news though is that it reminded me of this Vine's existence:

https://vine.co/v/MeaB03x7JWA

Crystal palace even? :dunno:

R'Albin
14-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Change the title!!

In fairness he did leave Stoke :greengrin

Hermit Crab
14-08-2014, 08:52 PM

:tee hee:

Sir David Gray
14-08-2014, 09:07 PM
No idea of what actually went on behind the scenes but the fans must be gutted.

They would almost certainly have been relegated if he hadn't come in when he did.

Haymaker
14-08-2014, 09:09 PM
My palace mates are spewing!

OsloHibs
14-08-2014, 09:17 PM
Didn't see that coming! :rolleyes:

lucky
14-08-2014, 10:23 PM
That's them down. Southampton & WBA and Palace are 3 that will go down IMHO

3pm
14-08-2014, 10:28 PM
The Liverpool boy who signed today must be pleased.

hfc rd
14-08-2014, 10:35 PM

Think Swansea won't be far off either.

frazeHFC
14-08-2014, 10:40 PM
That's a huge blow for them! They were awful before he joined, and brilliant after he'd joined.

ekhibee
14-08-2014, 11:05 PM
I think Burnley are a certainty to go down. 4/7 with most bookies too.

Scottie
14-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Terrible decision that the Palace will live to regret :agree:

TP has proved over the last few years he's a good manager so wonder where he'll go after this :dunno:

NadeAteMyLunch!
14-08-2014, 11:37 PM
They will regret that one big time

They would also regret giving the job to Neil Lennon!

EdinMike
14-08-2014, 11:51 PM
Terrible decision that the Palace will live to regret :agree:

TP has proved over the last few years he's a good manager so wonder where he'll go after this :dunno:

Next bottom end table team to sack their gaffer, he'll be top of the list. And rightly so !

lord bunberry
15-08-2014, 01:56 AM
After he lost the battle with the board to keep Sow the writing was on the wall

Jpdhfc
15-08-2014, 07:48 AM

Think Stoke sacked him ( mutual agreement )wanted a better style off football

easty
15-08-2014, 09:18 AM
So I've read it's because they wouldn't sign the players he wanted. Surely when he originally took they job he was aware of the restrictions he would have in terms of wages players would be offered? Its saying he wanted to sign Caulker, Michu and Sigurdson, but that they'd want wages above £40k a week and they don't pay that.

I actually think they'd made some decent signings for this season, Campbell, Hangeland and Kelly should all improve the team from last season.

Holmesdale Hibs
15-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Palace are my second team so needless to say I was gutted when I heard this. There's been rumours of unrest in the team and a rift with the chairman for a while so not overly surprising. I'm now looking a lot less forward to the first home game vs West Ham next weekend.

Pulis was unbelievable for us last season. Anyone that had seen the team before he took over would have voted for him as manager of the year. Great job and he'll be missed.

Just when I thought the situation couldn't get any worse, I've just seen Neil Lennon mentioned as a potential replacement. FFS, please no. Bring back Ian Dowie before giving it to that ****. Malky McKay also mentioned and is a bit more palatable.

J-C
15-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Seemingly nothing to do with monies and more to do with there being a DOF and Pullishas little say in some of the signings.

Smartie
15-08-2014, 10:38 AM
I think Burnley are a certainty to go down. 4/7 with most bookies too.

I think it's impossible to predict who will go down.

Promoted teams, regardless who they are will have a bit on confidence about them and if they make a decent start may go on to do well.

There's way too much uncertainty bearing in mind that probably about 80% of teams in with a chance of relegation will sack their manager and not necessarily replace with a better option. I could see any one of about 12 teams going down from that league because all their chairmen are total wallopers.

Palace were about the only team that got a positive change from changing their manager last year, mental that this has been allowed to happen.

He won't be out of work for long, that's for sure.

heretoday
15-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Moyes for Palace?

I wonder.

ekhibee
15-08-2014, 10:57 AM
I think it's impossible to predict who will go down.

Promoted teams, regardless who they are will have a bit on confidence about them and if they make a decent start may go on to do well.

There's way too much uncertainty bearing in mind that probably about 80% of teams in with a chance of relegation will sack their manager and not necessarily replace with a better option. I could see any one of about 12 teams going down from that league because all their chairmen are total wallopers.

Palace were about the only team that got a positive change from changing their manager last year, mental that this has been allowed to happen.

He won't be out of work for long, that's for sure.
Fair points, but I still think Burnley will go down. I've got them in a double with St Mirren (9/1).

J-C
15-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Moyes for Palace?

I wonder.

Malky Mackay being bigged up for it by the bookies, it all depends if they can work with a DOF and have little say in the signings.

Stranraer
15-08-2014, 11:03 AM

:agree: West Brom / Aston Villa for me. This is a huge loss for Palace, Pulis is a cracking manager.

easty
15-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Burnley, Leicester and West Brom to go down in my opinion.

heretoday
15-08-2014, 12:09 PM
:agree: West Brom / Aston Villa for me. This is a huge loss for Palace, Pulis is a cracking manager.

He certainly is. I wonder what his tactic will be now. Que faire?

Whether to go down a division to a sleeping giant or wait around for the next Prem vacancy e.g. Aston Villa or West Ham.

J-C
15-08-2014, 12:13 PM

Whether to go down a division to a sleeping giant or wait around for the next Prem vacancy e.g. Aston Villa or West Ham.

West Ham looks a good bet to be vacant soon but again you have interfeing owners who dictate to managers, something Pullis wouldn't like.

Aston Villa would be a better team for Pullis, an owners who lets you get on with the running of the team with no interference.

heretoday
15-08-2014, 12:20 PM
West Ham looks a good bet to be vacant soon but again you have interfeing owners who dictate to managers, something Pullis wouldn't like.

Aston Villa would be a better team for Pullis, an owners who lets you get on with the running of the team with no interference.

That's it sorted then!

It is funny that Pulis is never quoted for the really big jobs. Given the amount of cash that, say, Man Utd or Arsenal have at their managers' disposal, you would think that Pulis could put together a very powerful outfit indeed.

J-C
15-08-2014, 12:32 PM
That's it sorted then!

It is funny that Pulis is never quoted for the really big jobs. Given the amount of cash that, say, Man Utd or Arsenal have at their managers' disposal, you would think that Pulis could put together a very powerful outfit indeed.

He seems to come over as a bit old school as was said today on Talksport, he is very opinionated in his comments and doesn't suffer fools gladly.

heretoday
15-08-2014, 01:24 PM
He seems to come over as a bit old school as was said today on Talksport, he is very opinionated in his comments and doesn't suffer fools gladly.

I suppose he doesn't have a "vision" as they say. The various managers of the top clubs - Wenger, Ferguson, Clough etc - are seen to know the way to win the big trophies by their almost intellectual mastery of the game.

It would be interesting to see how the likes of Pulis got on though given flipping great wodges of cash.

I'm willing to bet that his defence would contain the best pine trees and whippets in the world.

Lewis77
15-08-2014, 02:36 PM
However, may I add, I don't give a f***!

Stranraer
15-08-2014, 02:50 PM

Something makes me think he will take up a Championship position. Have Huddersfield Town replaced Robins yet? Mind you that would be a big step down for him.

J-C
15-08-2014, 03:02 PM

We thank you for your contribution, and for that we don't give a **** either :bye:

R'Albin
15-08-2014, 04:01 PM

You could always try not opening the thread.

jacomo
28-11-2016, 11:31 PM
This story is now out in the open.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/28/tony-pulis-crystal-palace-appeal

Pulls seems mostly focused on making money for himself.

Thecat23
28-11-2016, 11:46 PM
Another crook and **** manager!

heretoday
29-11-2016, 12:08 AM
Another crook and **** manager!

He's a good manager. Ask the Baggies' fans.

Haymaker
29-11-2016, 12:21 AM

My mates a baggies fan, he gave up his season ticket when he was announced. Wouldn't watch a pullis team

Thecat23
29-11-2016, 12:54 AM

No danger! He was the last guy they wanted in.

leither17
29-11-2016, 02:04 AM
They will regret that one big time

They would also regret giving the job to Neil Lennon!

I'm glad they never haha

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2016, 08:02 AM
He's not the only one who's wanting extra payments added to his basic wage for one thing or another. There will be managers getting extra for making the top half, or for making the europa league or even the champions league.

They are all greedy *******s, with next to no morals or loyalty to their employer. Although why would they, when the current norm for a premier league manager is just over 2 years apparently?

Crystal Palace wanted him at their club because he virtually guaranteed them Premier league football, because thats where the big money is, nobody was complaining when he gave them that.

His style of football is agricultural, but he gives these smaller clubs premiership football, if the WBA fans are happy with the type of football Tony mowbray provided but championship football then good on them, but i know which type the WBA board want.

Of course it would be much better to have the type of football Tony Mowbray provided and premiership football, but thats the gamble that faces the board at WBA, and in the cut throat business they are in, where one bad season can cost them upwards of £120-£150m who can blame them for taking the safer option?

Pretty Boy
29-11-2016, 08:47 AM
Was it the 'secret footballer' who wrote the piece about Pulis trying to force Berahino out of West Brom then allegedely failing to sign the players many felt West Brom needed unless they were represented by the right agent? The insinuation was he only liked dealing with a couple of agents because he got a better deal out of it. I think he said the chairman was very aware of this so blocked the sale of Berahino as he knew the money would essentially end up in the wrong place.

It was a pretty serious allegation and it's apparently pretty well known in football circles that he's as crooked as they come.

jacomo
29-11-2016, 09:35 AM
Was it the 'secret footballer' who wrote the piece about Pulis trying to force Berahino out of West Brom then allegedely failing to sign the players many felt West Brom needed unless they were represented by the right agent? The insinuation was he only liked dealing with a couple of agents because he got a better deal out of it. I think he said the chairman was very aware of this so blocked the sale of Berahino as he knew the money would essentially end up in the wrong place.

It was a pretty serious allegation and it's apparently pretty well known in football circles that he's as crooked as they come.

Yes it was.

Also, Pulis at Gillingham. The guy's got form.

A cosy relationship with an agent certainly helps feather the nest, it seems.

JDHibs
29-11-2016, 10:45 AM
Oh my god!!!

I cant believe someone in football has tried to make more money for themselves!! What sort of monster does that?!?!

OH wait, all of them, all of them negotiate bigger and better contracts, all of them negotiate clauses and bonus' into their contracts.

Of course some take it too far but it happens all the time, people taking advantage of their employers.

CropleyWasGod
29-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Oh my god!!!

I cant believe someone in football has tried to make more money for themselves!! What sort of monster does that?!?!

OH wait, all of them, all of them negotiate bigger and better contracts, all of them negotiate clauses and bonus' into their contracts.

Of course some take it too far but it happens all the time, people taking advantage of their employers.

In this case, though, he lied at a tribunal. That's the issue.

JDHibs
29-11-2016, 11:00 AM
I get that, but all im saying is, has nobody here ever lied to an employer etc to save their ass?

Even if its a small lie?

As i said, people take advantage of employers everyday including lying to them, may not seem it it, but they do.

Not condoning what he done in the slightest, just think some of these comments are a tad over the top.

jacomo
29-11-2016, 11:06 AM
I get that, but all im saying is, has nobody here ever lied to an employer etc to save their ass?

Even if its a small lie?

As i said, people take advantage of employers everyday including lying to them, may not seem it it, but they do.

Not condoning what he done in the slightest, just think some of these comments are a tad over the top.

Not surprised at your response. A similar conversation on managers taking bungs went the same way. Plenty of fans seemingly don't care.

We - the fans - are paying for guys like this to line their pockets.

If that is no concern of yours, fair enough, but I am glad that some people at least are doing what they can to highlight endemic corruption in the sport.

Iain G
29-11-2016, 11:15 AM
Not surprised at your response. A similar conversation on managers taking bungs went the same way. Plenty of fans seemingly don't care.

We - the fans - are paying for guys like this to line their pockets.

If that is no concern of yours, fair enough, but I am glad that some people at least are doing what they can to highlight endemic corruption in the sport.

I seem to remember a story about Pullis wanting to sell Beharino but the Baggies owner / chairman not willing to sell him as he knew Pullis was on a cut from the agent...

JDHibs
29-11-2016, 11:24 AM
There's caring about something then there's taking it too far. Its all relative to each individual person.

Pulis has nothing to do with us (Hibs) in a way that it will affect us as fans, probably the reason im not lambasting him and calling him a greedy *******. English football is on another planet to us in terms of finances and something like this wouldn't affect the fans in the slightest.

Is it wrong what he done? Yes. Just trying to put it into perspective. He lied and thought he could get away with it and get millions of pounds, very few people wouldnt try and tell a lie if it meant walking away with a few million in their back pocket. Que a ton of people highlighting this and claiming they wouldn't. I happily admit i would if it meant giving my family a better lifestyle.

Money does strange things to people, makes them always want more, greed takes over. Footballers are the worst for it, no loyalty, jump ship for more money when every knows its a daft choice, like most players who go to the Old firm from us or out neighbours such as Riordan.

Im certain there are more worrying and shocking things happening in football than a man trying to get a few million quid out of a football team that spend £30m on a single player. Such as the child abuse thats came around recently, id rather spend my effort lambasting the people involved in that. Each to their own.

brog
29-11-2016, 02:30 PM
There's caring about something then there's taking it too far. Its all relative to each individual person.

Pulis has nothing to do with us (Hibs) in a way that it will affect us as fans, probably the reason im not lambasting him and calling him a greedy *******. English football is on another planet to us in terms of finances and something like this wouldn't affect the fans in the slightest.

Is it wrong what he done? Yes. Just trying to put it into perspective. He lied and thought he could get away with it and get millions of pounds, very few people wouldnt try and tell a lie if it meant walking away with a few million in their back pocket. Que a ton of people highlighting this and claiming they wouldn't. I happily admit i would if it meant giving my family a better lifestyle.

Money does strange things to people, makes them always want more, greed takes over. Footballers are the worst for it, no loyalty, jump ship for more money when every knows its a daft choice, like most players who go to the Old firm from us or out neighbours such as Riordan.

Im certain there are more worrying and shocking things happening in football than a man trying to get a few million quid out of a football team that spend £30m on a single player. Such as the child abuse thats came around recently, id rather spend my effort lambasting the people involved in that. Each to their own.

The difference is TP's already being paid millions & yet he's trying to steal millions more. That fits my description of a greedy b×××××d! It fits the current narrative though. Captains of industry & football managers fiddling millions is ok. Someone cheating a few quid on benefits (not defending that) is demonised & possibly jailed.

jacomo
29-11-2016, 03:12 PM

Didn't realise it is only permissible to be concerned about one issue at a time.

Please go express your moral outrage elsewhere then.

CockneyRebel
29-11-2016, 06:13 PM

They simply swapped one player for another - Bolasie to Everton for £32m and Benteke in from Liverpool for £32m. Pulis tried a con that did not work - which is the more shocking! Addressing one topic at a time is probably best.

ancient hibee
29-11-2016, 06:15 PM

Quite common for manager's contracts to have a clause regarding percentages on transfer fees.Not being crooked,no need.

Pretty Boy
29-11-2016, 06:19 PM
Quite common for manager's contracts to have a clause regarding percentages on transfer fees.Not being crooked,no need.
I think the allegation was this was on top of what he was entitled to.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
29-11-2016, 06:40 PM
I think the allegation was this was on top of what he was entitled to.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
The two million quid was in the contract but he had to stay on past a certain date.He asked for it early and was given it but then left.Didn't want to give it back but went to court when he was clearly in breach.Twerp.All he had to do was stay for a couple more months.He and Allardyc just show how greedy these people are.

allezsauzee
29-11-2016, 07:48 PM
The two million quid was in the contract but he had to stay on past a certain date.He asked for it early and was given it but then left.Didn't want to give it back but went to court when he was clearly in breach.Twerp.All he had to do was stay for a couple more months.He and Allardyc just show how greedy these people are.

I'm not sure footballers or managers are necessarily any more greedy than other people. There just happens to be an obscene amount of money swilling about in the sport and the opportunity to grab millions is much greater. the vast majority of people don't have the opportunity to do so.

jacomo
29-11-2016, 11:45 PM
I'm not sure footballers or managers are necessarily any more greedy than other people. There just happens to be an obscene amount of money swilling about in the sport and the opportunity to grab millions is much greater. the vast majority of people don't have the opportunity to do so.

To an extent I agree with you, but only because the whole game is bent.

Sure, there is little direct link between Pulis and Hibs, but ultimately our club is part of the same food chain. At some point, we've ended up with players not because the manager thought they were the best option to improve the team, but because someone has taken a bung to make the transfer happen.

That disgusts me, but it seems fans don't care enough to demand change.