PDA

View Full Version : Clarke Carlisle....

Mikey09
11-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Just back ma holidays and read his book "You don't know me, but...... A Footballers Life.

Talks about battling the drink, gambling etc but also his work with the PFA and Kick It Out campaign. Also gives a real good insight of playing in the lower leagues in England and the difference he sees in young apprentices now to when he was one at Blackpool. The story re when he played Newcastles kids in the reserves one night summed up those differences. Anyway, just thought it was worth letting the guys and girls who like a wee football auto biography know it's well worth a read.....:nerd:

Scottie
11-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Just back ma holidays and read his book "You don't know me, but...... A Footballers Life.

Talks about battling the drink, gambling etc but also his work with the PFA and Kick It Out campaign. Also gives a real good insight of playing in the lower leagues in England and the difference he sees in young apprentices now to when he was one at Blackpool. The story re when he played Newcastles kids in the reserves one night summed up those differences. Anyway, just thought it was worth letting the guys and girls who like a wee football auto biography know it's well worth a read.....:nerd:

What were the differences between Newcastle Reserves and his Reserves ?
Talks a lot of sense when I've seen him on the telly.

HappyHibby93
11-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Need to check that out. Sounds like a good read. Am I right in saying he attempted suicide after a bad injury as a young player at QPR? Spoiler alert! Haha

CropleyWasGod
11-08-2014, 02:05 PM
He's on at the Book Festival this year.

Mikey09
11-08-2014, 02:08 PM
What were the differences between Newcastle Reserves and his Reserves ?
Talks a lot of sense when I've seen him on the telly.

It was when he was at York playing in a reserve game against Newcastles 20's. It basically came down to there attitude. He comes across as a guy who no matter the game he played to win. The young Geordie lads didn't like this as there fancy flicks and tricks weren't working and they started ripping him with the likes of "I probably earn more money than you". And "You play for York cos you're ****". After the game he witnessed the biggest difference when these young lads plonked themselves on one of those luxury coaches listening to there i pods and gadgets. Behind them, pushing all the kit bags all by himself was Peter Beardsley!! He said when he was a YT he would have done all that and probably carried Beardsley onto the coach!! I think his point is that level of respect isn't there anymore. Young lads, spoiled, played some reserve games thinking they've made it. Loads of good wee stories in it mate. Well worth the 5 quid I paid.

Mikey09
11-08-2014, 02:26 PM
Need to check that out. Sounds like a good read. Am I right in saying he attempted suicide after a bad injury as a young player at QPR? Spoiler alert! Haha

Yeah he did. Just makes you wonder why some people shout horrible obscenities towards players as you never know what's going on in there private lives.

Mikey09
11-08-2014, 02:27 PM
He's on at the Book Festival this year.

Is he?? Do you know when and where CWG??

Scottie
11-08-2014, 02:33 PM
It was when he was at York playing in a reserve game against Newcastles 20's. It basically came down to there attitude. He comes across as a guy who no matter the game he played to win. The young Geordie lads didn't like this as there fancy flicks and tricks weren't working and they started ripping him with the likes of "I probably earn more money than you". And "You play for York cos you're ****". After the game he witnessed the biggest difference when these young lads plonked themselves on one of those luxury coaches listening to there i pods and gadgets. Behind them, pushing all the kit bags all by himself was Peter Beardsley!! He said when he was a YT he would have done all that and probably carried Beardsley onto the coach!! I think his point is that level of respect isn't there anymore. Young lads, spoiled, played some reserve games thinking they've made it. Loads of good wee stories in it mate. Well worth the 5 quid I paid.

Thanks Mikey

He always comes across as a decent fella. It's sounds like a good read so will pop out and get one. :aok:

Craig_HFC
11-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Seems a decent guy but he is a horrific pundit/summariser.

Mikey09
11-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Thanks Mikey

He always comes across as a decent fella. It's sounds like a good read so will pop out and get one. :aok:

Nice one. Gonna get myself to the book festival as CWG says he's at it. No idea what happens at it!! Is it a Q & A session??

Scottie
11-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Nice one. Gonna get myself to the book festival as CWG says he's at it. No idea what happens at it!! Is it a Q & A session??

He's appearing between 8.30-9.30 on Friday 22nd of August at The Royal Bank of Scotland Theatre in Charlotte Square Gardens. Tickets are priced £10 or £8 for concession's.

He is talking about all aspects of his life and sure at the end there will be a Q&A session.

Hope you get to it and enjoy it. :aok:

Mikey09
11-08-2014, 02:50 PM
He's appearing between 8.30-9.30 on the 22nd of August at The Royal Bank of Scotland Theatre in Charlotte Square Gardens. Tickets are priced £10 or £8 for concession's.

He is talking about all aspects of his life and sure at the end there will be a Q&A session.

Gonna book tickets now. Thanks for the info. Hope you enjoy the book. Let me know what you think of it.

Scottie
11-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Gonna book tickets now. Thanks for the info. Hope you enjoy the book. Let me know what you think of it.
Will do Mikey.

CropleyWasGod
11-08-2014, 03:33 PM

Normally, these things take the form of a few readings from the book, some discussion with the presenter, and then questions from the audience.

PS I'll be there too :)

tamig
11-08-2014, 04:28 PM
He did a fantastic narration of the story of Walter Tull - the first black player in English top flight football - and his heroics during World War 1. It was on 5 Live a few days ago and the podcast is well worth a listen.

Baader
11-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Met him at a Football League end of season awards when I worked on it a couple of years ago. Good guy who is more in touch with the fans than most and not scared to point out where football has gone wrong.

schinkenotto
12-08-2014, 03:56 PM
I think that Pat Nevin is chairing the session at the Book Festival.

CropleyWasGod
12-08-2014, 03:58 PM
I think that Pat Nevin is chairing the session at the Book Festival.

I hope not.

When he chaired one about Robert Enke a few years ago, it turned into the Nevin show rather than about the author.

Mikey09
12-08-2014, 10:37 PM
I hope not.

When he chaired one about Robert Enke a few years ago, it turned into the Nevin show rather than about the author.

Read the book about Robert Enke as well just last year. Really sad and again showed the pressure some pros put on themselves re performance. As someone who lives with Bi Polar I can only wonder how the likes of Clarke Carlisle have coped over the years with the pressure football brings. Too much for some like Enke who sadly took his own life....

Jamesie
13-08-2014, 06:09 AM
He's appearing between 8.30-9.30 on Friday 22nd of August at The Royal Bank of Scotland Theatre in Charlotte Square Gardens. Tickets are priced £10 or £8 for concession's.

Irvine Welsh is on 9.30 - 10.30 the same evening. Shame there isn't a gap between the two events.

Canongatehibs
13-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Probably end up getting this book once I've read the others sitting in queue.
About to read Oliver Reeds biography.