PDA

View Full Version : Hibs in BBC Arts programme

Saturday Boy
10-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Hibs just got a quick name check in BBC4's Edinburgh Extra. The police box at the corner of Easter Road and Albion Road has a mini art installation; it's full of tiny fans replicating the weather around the work. That's small electrical devices, not football supporters!

FranckSuzy
10-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Hibs just got a quick name check in BBC4's Edinburgh Extra. The police box at the corner of Easter Road and Albion Road has a mini art installation; it's full of tiny fans replicating the weather around the work. That's small electrical devices, not football supporters!

I saw that yesterday :greengrin Looked pretty bizarre, TBH!

Golden Bear
10-08-2014, 09:34 PM

I saw that when I passed it yesterday. Hadn't a clue what it was all about though!

Saturday Boy
10-08-2014, 09:45 PM
I think anybody who saw this yesterday can tell the grandkids they took part in the a Festival. Honest.

Canongatehibs
10-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Just watched this too.
Bizarre concept. Friggin weird **** in there.

Eyrie
10-08-2014, 09:55 PM

Maybe I'm missing the point, but how is that "art"?

heretoday
10-08-2014, 10:52 PM
We just have to take the artist's word for it.

Ronniekirk
11-08-2014, 08:40 AM
It's Art for Arts Sake .

CropleyWasGod
11-08-2014, 08:42 AM

By default, the minute one starts questioning whether something is art, that automatically qualifies it as art. :cb

Geo_1875
11-08-2014, 09:46 AM

Art has no function other than being. If you can't use something it is art or garbage.

Keith_M
11-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Art has no function other than being. If you can't use something it is art or garbage.

Does that make me a Work of Art?

Tracey Emin eat your heart out :thumbsup:

CropleyWasGod
11-08-2014, 09:49 AM

The word "use" is subjective as well, though.

Personally, I "use" art.

Man, I love these discussions on a Monday morning. :cb

lord bunberry
11-08-2014, 09:57 AM
The word "use" is subjective as well, though.

Personally, I "use" art.

Man, I love these discussions on a Monday morning. :cb

But art can have no other purpose than being art, you may use it as art but nothing else. I think :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
11-08-2014, 10:02 AM
But art can have no other purpose than being art, you may use it as art but nothing else. I think :greengrin

I use it for comfort, for emotional uplift and, as we are doing just now, for discussion.

("disappearing up one's own art" smiley)

Keith_M
11-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Art is paintings of serious looking rich men, large breasted ladies and jolly faced fat children. It also only counts if it was painted before 1850.

FACT, ENDOFF, etc.

lord bunberry
11-08-2014, 10:17 AM
I use it for comfort, for emotional uplift and, as we are doing just now, for discussion.

("disappearing up one's own art" smiley)

The first two are emotional responses to art so not really uses. Discussing art can't really be seen as using art as talking about something is generally a precursor to a use. I'm away for a lie down.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Willie Miller said that defenders tackling properly in the penalty box is an art, or at least a dying one. Does that help?

easty
11-08-2014, 10:33 AM
There was an "art" installation at the Edinburgh College of Art degree show this year. It was loads of busts of Lionel Ritchies head, sitting facing a TV of his video for Hello. That was it. If your neighbour put that in his garden he'd probably get sectioned, but because it was at the art school it's "art".

Keith_M
11-08-2014, 10:37 AM
When the misus gets home today and finds I haven't yet made the bed, I shall refer her to Ms Emin and tell her in no uncertain terms that I'm merely following my artistic instincts.

The same shall apply to the dirty laundry, messy bathroom and last night's Indian Take Away on the Living Room Table.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-08-2014, 11:33 AM
I'm a piss artist. That statement is open to interpretation.

Golden Bear
11-08-2014, 11:40 AM
There was an "art" installation at the Edinburgh College of Art degree show this year. It was loads of busts of Lionel Ritchies head, sitting facing a TV of his video for Hello. That was it. If your neighbour put that in his garden he'd probably get sectioned, but because it was at the art school it's "art".

:tee hee:

Philistines rule ok.

Geo_1875
11-08-2014, 12:09 PM

I agree. A "beautiful" painting may be bought to look at and admired, but when you move it to cover a stain on the wall it has a different function and ceases to be art (if you know there is a stain on the wall behind it).

heretoday
15-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Art is Expression, purely.

It took me ages to work that out.