PDA

View Full Version : Next Sunday

Hibeesmad
10-08-2014, 09:06 PM
I know it's a week away but I can't wait, how are people feeling about going into the game and how do you think we will get on?

I'm tempted to put £5 on El Alagui to score a hat trick, would prefer to do that than give those charity thieves any more money for their flat juice and burnt pies anyway

The_Exile
10-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Depends if he's the ref, when do we find out who's got the gig?

Haymaker
10-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Depends if he's the ref, when do we find out who's got the gig?

Craig Thomson. NAP

Ronniekirk
10-08-2014, 09:15 PM
I know it's a week away but I can't wait, how are people feeling about going into the game and how do you think we will get on?

I'm tempted to put £5 on El Alagui to score a hat trick, would prefer to do that than give those charity thieves any more money for their flat juice and burnt pies anyway
Well I certainly can't see any player scoring a hat trick .

GreenLake
10-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Well I certainly can't see any player scoring a hat trick .

Would love to see Oxley get one.

Stranraer
10-08-2014, 09:44 PM
We'll win. I just hope I can get a ticket the morn to see it. Oxley first G/S

Nakedmanoncrack
10-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Looking forward to it, hopeful as ever, though they will clearly be favourites- but important to remember its not the end of the world if we lose, its only 2nd game of season.

Eyrie
10-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Craig Thomson. NAP

We're safe from that at least because he won't get two Yam games in a row.

hibbysam
10-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Looking forward to it, hopeful as ever, though they will clearly be favourites- but important to remember its not the end of the world if we lose, its only 2nd game of season.

It's an edinburgh derby! Of course it's the end of the world if we lose! Pish poor attitude that were trying get rid of!!

Hermit Crab
10-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Craig Thomson. NAP

Don't think he'll get the gig. He had them today and dished out 6 yellows to them. Harry potter will see that it's not Thomson. My guess is willie collum

Hermit Crab
10-08-2014, 10:06 PM
The two teams are fairly close in terms of player ability. Their front line consists of sow and king? I expect Stubbs to have had someone at the game watching hearts today. Man mark sow out the game, now he's a big powerful bloke so don't be surprised if Nelson is played solely to do that job. Young boy Nicholson looks decent as well. Prince and gomis will need stopping in midfield. Get right on top of their second choice keeper as well.

We know we can play football and pass the ball well. That might not happen so much next week as the pitch is very narrow. Alagui will have to put in some shift next week as will every player in green and white. I'd like to see Scott Allan get a free reign against them I think he has so much to offer. I'd drop Stanton as he has not been at his best in the last two games, Craig and robbo to sit in the middle and break up play and spray passes about. Also Harris needs to up his game but with Kennedy as an able replacement he might start performing. Oxley still doesn't fill me with confidence hopefully that will come in the coming weeks. Still think we need another striker to make competition for places harder.

It will be a close game with probably not much football played in a game with few chances. Verdict. Narrow home win.

Nakedmanoncrack
10-08-2014, 10:22 PM
It's an edinburgh derby! Of course it's the end of the world if we lose! Pish poor attitude that were trying get rid of!!

It may feel like it, but its not.
This season is about promotion, nothing else- that won't be won or lost on Sunday.

The_Exile
10-08-2014, 10:25 PM
Don't think he'll get the gig. He had them today and dished out 6 yellows to them. Harry potter will see that it's not Thomson. My guess is willie collum

Never underestimate the power of the dark side! Agreed that it's unlikely to be him, although nothing would surprise me less if he did get the gig.

H113EE5
10-08-2014, 10:26 PM
The two teams are fairly close in terms of player ability. Their front line consists of sow and king? I expect Stubbs to have had someone at the game watching hearts today. Man mark sow out the game, now he's a big powerful bloke so don't be surprised if Nelson is played solely to do that job. Young boy Nicholson looks decent as well. Prince and gomis will need stopping in midfield. Get right on top of their second choice keeper as well.

We know we can play football and pass the ball well. That might not happen so much next week as the pitch is very narrow. Alagui will have to put in some shift next week as will every player in green and white. I'd like to see Scott Allan get a free reign against them I think he has so much to offer. I'd drop Stanton as he has not been at his best in the last two games, Craig and robbo to sit in the middle and break up play and spray passes about. Also Harris needs to up his game but with Kennedy as an able replacement he might start performing. Oxley still doesn't fill me with confidence hopefully that will come in the coming weeks. Still think we need another striker to make competition for places harder.

It will be a close game with probably not much football played in a game with few chances. Verdict. Narrow home win.
:top marks Unfortunately, I feel that's about right

Bobby's Cinema
10-08-2014, 10:30 PM

That's one thing I've been saying aswell. It will be hard for us to play that way with them right on top of our first touch closing down quickly.

Stubbs has said that he likes to play football, but his only real philosophy is winning games. I like that. Lets do that :agree:

Thecat23
10-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Spoke to Kenny after today's game! He said we are a better team than Hearts and their midfield was rank and he's raging they lost to them.

yankyhibby
10-08-2014, 10:48 PM
This season is about promotion, nothing else- that won't be won or lost on Sunday.

Losing 3 points at any stage of the season could ultimately prove to be the 3 points that cost us promotion. If we lose out on promotion by the slimmest of margins, that early in the season defeat counts as much as a last day defeat.

Sir David Gray
10-08-2014, 11:02 PM

Of course nothing will be won or lost on Sunday but it will give us a massive psychological boost if we can go to our biggest rivals and one of our main rivals for promotion this season and take the three points.

Losing to them next week would be a huge blow.

For me, it's a must win game.

Gutted I won't be there due to work. :boo hoo:

NadeAteMyLunch!
10-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Thomson may have booked 6 of their players but he could quite easily have sent two of them off. However he chose not to

Haymaker
11-08-2014, 12:13 AM
Never underestimate the power of the dark side! Agreed that it's unlikely to be him, although nothing would surprise me less if he did get the gig.

Exactly! :agree:

lord bunberry
11-08-2014, 12:16 AM
Of course nothing will be won or lost on Sunday but it will give us a massive psychological boost if we can go to our biggest rivals and one of our main rivals for promotion this season and take the three points.

Losing to them next week would be a huge blow.

For me, it's a must win game.

Gutted I won't be there due to work. :boo hoo:

How can the second game of the season be a must win game? What happens if we don't win? Do we just forget about the rest of the season.
If we win next week then great, if we don't we can't afford to feel sorry for ourselves. It may be a derby but it's also just another step towards promotion, nothing else matters this season. I would rather lose 4 times to hearts and get promoted.

Pete
11-08-2014, 05:38 AM
Spoke to Kenny after today's game! He said we are a better team than Hearts and their midfield was rank and he's raging they lost to them.

Kenny knows the score. Prediction: We play them off the park and win by at least two goals.

I spoke to some of their fans who were at ibrox and they are full of it. Its a shoot out between themselves and Sevco and we aren't going to trouble them apparently. We've a nerve to be confident because all we've done is beat Livingston.

False bravado. Deep down they know they're in for a game and dread us playing like we did against Sevco.

greenpaper55
11-08-2014, 05:54 AM
After watching both games i thought we played better than Hearts did against Rangers but lost due to the sending off, if we can replicate that level of performance a draw is the least we should get.

Thecat23
11-08-2014, 07:53 AM
Kenny knows the score. Prediction: We play them off the park and win by at least two goals.

I spoke to some of their fans who were at ibrox and they are full of it. Its a shoot out between themselves and Sevco and we aren't going to trouble them apparently. We've a nerve to be confident because all we've done is beat Livingston.

False bravado. Deep down they know they're in for a game and dread us playing like we did against Sevco.

Spot on. It was "only Livi" was the text I got last night from a guy in work. We are also going to be down for years!!

Mark Sow out the game they have nothing.

Hermit Crab
11-08-2014, 08:09 AM
Spot on. It was "only Livi" was the text I got last night from a guy in work. We are also going to be down for years!!

Mark Sow out the game they have nothing.

Thats just it. Hearts are always going to play a certain way. Give the ball to sow to hold it up waiting on support. They have been sussed already and with no real plan b they may find it difficult to break teams down. They are not rubbish but they are not world beaters. Use the correct tactics next week and we should get something. Now only have 1 experienced keeper. Get alagui on top of him from the word go, make him nervous.

Ronniekirk
11-08-2014, 08:12 AM
After watching both games i thought we played better than Hearts did against Rangers but lost due to the sending off, if we can replicate that level of performance a draw is the least we should get.
During the ninety minutes we didnt win the game when on top because we didn't take our chances .Against livi we should of been more than two goals up in first half but werent because we didn't take our chances.Its early doors yet ,but that is a pattern we don't want to keep repeating in games ,as I don't think we look like a team that will keep a clean sheet too often.
Think it's important we don't loose the game because of the psychology of what's gone before in these fixtures We need to show them we will stay strong mentally and that heads won't go down if we loose first goal .
If they were to beat us it gives them a huge boost but there is a long way to go and we will all drop points at some stage .We still have to find our best starting eleven Alan ,Kennedy and Cummings need game time and not sure Heff and Farid are best partnership Heff is t 100 % but when we play that quick tempo of passing that sees us at our best he will struggle to keep up as pace was never his strong suit .
They will look to hit us down the flanks with king and Nicholson so need someone to double up with Stevenson Also need to be wary of set pieces as Livi rattled the bar from one and scored from another but looking forward to seeing how Stubbs mixes things up in game and tactically how he deploy players to nullify them so we can counter quickly But to win we need to take our chances .

Thecat23
11-08-2014, 08:13 AM
Thats just it. Hearts are always going to play a certain way. Give the ball to sow to hold it up waiting on support. They have been sussed already and with no real plan b they may find it difficult to break teams down. They are not rubbish but they are not world beaters. Use the correct tactics next week and we should get something. Now only have 1 experienced keeper. Get alagui on top of him from the word go, make him nervous.

Yep agree with all that! They aren't rubbish but they do play the same way all the time. Hibs pressed The Rangers and were in their faces. We do that against Hearts then we will take either 3 points or at least a draw.

JeMeSouviens
11-08-2014, 08:18 AM

Tiny isn't especially narrow, but it's pretty short. They seem to have gone back to their tried and tested kick anything that moves strategy yesterday. Pretty brave at Ibrox but maybe not if CT is reffing for them. :rolleyes: We'll need to be extra disciplined. I expect more of the same from them next week, and the danger is several Yam assaults to go unpunished (ref "common sense" in a derby :rolleyes:) before one of our lot loses the rag and gets sent off ("had to go, can't raise your hands in the modern game" :rolleyes: ).

GreenCastle
11-08-2014, 08:28 AM

Share pretty similar views.

Doubt they will let us play how we did against Rangers and try kick us off the park.

You can see it's a typical Levein style team - strong and direct.

The key will be defending crosses - limiting the supply to Sow and not allowing Gomis to run the show - picking up the ball deep and distributing.

Their weaknesses - GK (for once!) and full back areas.

Purehibee_MYB
11-08-2014, 08:33 AM
Share pretty similar views.

Doubt they will let us play how we did against Rangers and try kick us off the park.

You can see it's a typical Levein style team - strong and direct.

The key will be defending crosses - limiting the supply to Sow and not allowing Gomis to run the show - picking up the ball deep and distributing.

Their weaknesses - GK (for once!) and full back areas.

Do we actually know their keeper is a weak point? Didn't have much to do yesterday, possibly could have done better for the goal but I didn't see much to suggest he was a weak link?

lord bunberry
11-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Do we actually know their keeper is a weak point? Didn't have much to do yesterday, possibly could have done better for the goal but I didn't see much to suggest he was a weak link?

He's obviously viewed by them as being weaker than Alexander

EH54
11-08-2014, 08:40 AM

I have been told by a few hearts fans that they aren't confident in Scott Gallacher... but never seen him play myself and it seems everytime we go into a game like this and slate a player or think there a weak link they always seem to come up with the goods against us, with an exception to Ngoo

my prediction is 1-1

truehibernian
11-08-2014, 08:42 AM
The way to beat Hearts will be to do and try the right things - keep the ball circulating and stretch them, particularly wide where their full backs are rash and often out of position. For me it's a game for both Kennedy and Alex, with Farid through the middle. Really occupy all their defenders.

Sow looks decent, good feet for a big man - we press and play high we can win the game. We do what Rangers did and allow Hearts too much of the ball, like any game, you're inviting trouble.

Might also be a game for Scott Allen this one - need someone in the centre to really create and again occupy little Gomis.

SanFranHibs
11-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Several on here saying it is a must win game !!! So, if we don't win next Sunday our season is over? Even if we draw it's over? If we don't take three points agaisnt them all confidence in Stubbs is gone? Lose and it's 'See you next year!'?

It is important but a win does not assure promotion and if we lose we should not give up hope. And what about a draw? As I said on another thread probably means we will have just missed a few good chances.

I am hopeful of victory but it is a derby. They will try and set a frantic pace and we will be trying to play more controlled football.

Not going overboard on Sow but he might be a handful especially as our keeper has not looked overly confident with crossballs, but if we can keep Sow quiet around the box, defend set pieces well, I think we have a decent chance of coming away with 3 points. I don't see any great football threat from the middle of their team. I think they will be direct and maybe play a long game trying to put pressure on our central defenders and keeper and also see what they can pick up from corners and free kicks.

But whatever the result I am not going to go overboard, other than go out and celebrate a victory by getting merrily drunk. But it will be the game I will be celebrating not a successful season and should we lose and I go out and get miserably drunk it will be the game I am rueing and not the season.

1-2 Hibs.

:flag:

Sir David Gray
11-08-2014, 10:14 AM
How can the second game of the season be a must win game? What happens if we don't win? Do we just forget about the rest of the season.
If we win next week then great, if we don't we can't afford to feel sorry for ourselves. It may be a derby but it's also just another step towards promotion, nothing else matters this season. I would rather lose 4 times to hearts and get promoted.

It's a "must win" from the point of view of laying down a statement of intent to Hearts and Sevco that we mean business and will hopefully be challenging throughout the season for the title.

Many people have sort of written us off and suggested that the title race is between the other two. Going to Tynecastle and winning on Sunday would make people sit up and take notice of us.

Obviously if we lose on Sunday then we can still win the title and get promoted but, psychologically, a win on Sunday will be massive for the whole club.

SanFranHibs
11-08-2014, 10:26 AM
It's a "must win" from the point of view of laying down a statement of intent to Hearts and Sevco that we mean business and will hopefully be challenging throughout the season for the title.

Many people have sort of written us off and suggested that the title race is between the other two. Going to Tynecastle and winning on Sunday would make people sit up and take notice of us.

Obviously if we lose on Sunday then we can still win the title and get promoted but, psychologically, a win on Sunday will be massive for the whole club.

So it's not a must win !

Purehibee_MYB
11-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Is it a 'must-win' or not!?

:confused:

SanFranHibs
11-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Is it a 'must-win' or not!?

:confused:

:greengrin

I hope it's not a must-win game, otherwise should we lose then what?

And what about a draw? Have both teams failed to make a "statement of their intent"?

It is of course a game we dearly would love to win but all I am saying is the aim of promotion is not dead should we not win it !

Keith_M
11-08-2014, 10:48 AM
It's obvous it's not a Must Win game from the PoV of promotion but that's not what people are getting at.

It's an Edinburgh Derby and we want to beat them at every opportunity. For that reason, of course it's a Must Win game!

Sir David Gray
11-08-2014, 10:55 AM
So it's not a must win !

Any game against them is a "must win".

Greenworld
11-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Its a must not loose game I expect three changes...

StarMan10
11-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Hope Stubbs has got them doing fast passing and moving drills in small areas. That dump and it's tiny pitch is something they'l try and take advantage of.

we are hibs
11-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Want to win every single time we play them but I'd take two draws from tynecastle this season just as long as we beat them twice at ER. Hopefully we beat them all 4 times though.

Mikey09
11-08-2014, 12:48 PM
A must win game??? Really?? Of course it would be fantastic to win the game but "must win"?? It's the 2nd game of the season..... Must win games are when you're fighting it out to be champions the 2nd LAST game of the season!!

ScottB
11-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Seems like the Beeb, after universally declaring Rangers as league champions elect, are now bigging up Hearts.

Of course if we beat them, no chance will they start creaming themselves over us...

Hearts are there for the taking, as Rangers were last week. If we play well and keep it tight for the whole game, we can win.

ScottB
11-08-2014, 12:54 PM
A must win game??? Really?? Of course it would be fantastic to win the game but "must win"?? It's the 2nd game of the season..... Must win games are when you're fighting it out to be champions the 2nd LAST game of the season!!

Frankly, every game against them is must win.

You can be damn sure that's how they approach it, and they tend to win more of them than we do.

lord bunberry
11-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Frankly, every game against them is must win.

You can be damn sure that's how they approach it, and they tend to win more of them than we do.

Promotion is a must, nothing else matters. When games start getting labeled as must win all we are doing is heaping unnecessary pressure on the team. It's not a must win game it's the next step towards promotion, we need to go there and be professional and play the way we played in the second half at ibrox.

ancient hibee
11-08-2014, 06:10 PM
If we play like we did on Saturday we won't beat Hearts.We didn't create many chances and were careless with those we did have even if our retention of the ball was pretty good.Although Livingston were poor finishers they made too many chances for themselves for my liking.It'll be a good midfield battle as these are the strongest part of each team.It's not a must win game -it is much more importantly a must not lose game.

HibbyAndy
11-08-2014, 06:17 PM
If we play like we did on Saturday we won't beat Hearts.We didn't create many chances and were careless with those we did have even if our retention of the ball was pretty good.Although Livingston were poor finishers they made too many chances for themselves for my liking.It'll be a good midfield battle as these are the strongest part of each team.It's not a must win game -it is much more importantly a must not lose game.

Sorry but i really do beg to differ. 1st half we created quite a few wee chances and had a few pot shots, 2nd half Heffernan should have buried a guilt edged chance at 2-1..Cummings shot wide and Gray put one over the bar.

Livingston, Ehmm im struggling to actually think what they created?.. At 2-1 down and after said Heffernan missed they should have made it 2-2..But no danger am i buying they had more chances than us.

ancient hibee
11-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Sorry but i really do beg to differ. 1st half we created quite a few wee chances and had a few pot shots, 2nd half Heffernan should have buried a guilt edged chance at 2-1..Cummings shot wide and Gray put one over the bar.

Livingston, Ehmm im struggling to actually think what they created?.. At 2-1 down and after said Heffernan missed they should have made it 2-2..But no danger am i buying they had more chances than us.

As i said -we were careless with chances we created.Considering the amount of ball, we had we didn't really work their goalie.As you say they should have made it 2-2.That kind of form won't do against Hearts.

HibbyAndy
11-08-2014, 06:25 PM
As i said -we were careless with chances we created.Considering the amount of ball, we had we didn't really work their goalie.As you say they should have made it 2-2.That kind of form won't do against Hearts.

Aw aye and Farid should have made it 1-0 just before he scored with that header :greengrin

We wont get many chances at Pinkcastle so we need to be more clinical for sure.

Iggy Pope
11-08-2014, 06:27 PM

He would know mind, he seemed to spend a lot of time in midfield.

ancient hibee
11-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Aw aye and Farid should have made it 1-0 just before he scored with that header :greengrin

We wont get many chances at Pinkcastle so we need to be more clinical for sure.

I can't make up my mind whether their change of goalie is a good thing or not.We might catch them unawares with through balls to get them turning rather than the hump up the middle we entertained them with last season.

HibbyAndy
11-08-2014, 07:15 PM
I can't make up my mind whether their change of goalie is a good thing or not.We might catch them unawares with through balls to get them turning rather than the hump up the middle we entertained them with last season.

:agree:

Ill take a flukey last minute own goal as long as we beat these cretins .

BOB MARLEYS DUG
11-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Have to say I'm not too confident about it to be honest.

HibbyAndy
11-08-2014, 09:19 PM

We have one of the shabbiest derby records in the world...Our record v Hearts is nothing short of cringeworthy..Utterly embarrassing actually , But ken what?.. Aye Hearts beat the rangers but they are nae great shakes and im taking hibs 2-1.

I can virtually guarantee if we dont beat hearts it will be down to the referee.

portyhibernian
11-08-2014, 09:20 PM
they beat The Rangers, big deal. The Rangers are ****, Hearts are **** aswell. If the tactics are right and the players turn up its a comfortable Hibs win. 4-0 Hibs.

Ronniekirk
11-08-2014, 09:23 PM
It's a new season a new division and we have a complete new coaching staff and a handful of new players .So here s hoping it's the Dawning of a New Era where we dominate Derbies for a change.However you can see why they won't be short of confidence and I would of ideally liked this fixture in another months time ,but we will play better than last couple of times we went there am certain of that .

truehibernian
11-08-2014, 09:39 PM
They were never in the game v The Rangers, didn't create much, yet won - we have NOTHING to fear from Hearts, absolutely nothing. Rangers missed gilt edged chances and only allowed Hearts the ball at certain times in the game and like v us they played poorly. Did I watch the same game as you guys..........you'd think we were about to play Atletico.......it's Hearts, they're garbage, let's get into them from the off !

matty_f
11-08-2014, 10:02 PM
3 points on Sunday are as important as 3 points later in the season. I think it's safe to say that if we want to consider ourselves title contenders then our main competition is most likely to come from the Rangers and the Yams.

On Sunday we have the chance to get 3 points on a weekend that, if we do, at least one of our two competitors doesn't pick up any points.

Of course, there's a long, long way to go and dropped points now can potentially be made up over the season, however they could also be the three points that decide the league come the final day.

We are in the toughest second tier there probably ever has been. If we genuinely want to come up right away then we need to get in the mindset that every game is a must win because the other teams going for the league will be treating them that way.

Crossgates Hibs
12-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Promotion is a must, nothing else matters. When games start getting labeled as must win all we are doing is heaping unnecessary pressure on the team. It's not a must win game it's the next step towards promotion, we need to go there and be professional and play the way we played in the second half at ibrox.

Folk need to remember how rank rotten we were last season. We are a work in progress and are constantly improving time will tell if this game has come too soon but I believe if we keep on improving as we are we will be more than a match for them. Despite the points won against us last season only one game in the five played were they the better side and we were awful. Our biggest threat to going up is McCoist getting the boot IMO.:cb

The_Exile
12-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Ref is Willie Collum, feel a tad better about our chances now.

JimBHibees
12-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Ref is Willie Collum, feel a tad better about our chances now.

Why last 2 derbies he has let a Hearts off with a red in the first half?

The_Horde
12-08-2014, 12:46 PM
I'd love us to totally school them like we did against rangers until handling got sent off. But this time no sending offs and a hibs win.

The_Exile
12-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Why last 2 derbies he has let a Hearts off with a red in the first half?

Stevie Wonder would be an improvement on Craig Thomson.