PDA

View Full Version : First round of matches

Green Cabbage 7
10-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Well after the first round of matches, nothing to fear from what we have seen of the 2 favourites, let's see how the officiating goes in the matches though, I think the three bigger clubs will all drop points, but if we are more consistent I'm fairly confident of winning this league, especially as I think we are going to get better as the season goes on!

HibbyAndy
10-08-2014, 05:00 PM
I think injurys and suspensions will be the deciding factor..Huns lose Miller boyd for any length of time and they are done, Hearts Lose Wilson or Sow, Finito.

Moulin Yarns
10-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Same could be said about us. Lose El Alagui and we will struggle up front.

Green Cabbage 7
10-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Yes but plenty time for additions, think them and the rangers have done all there business!

Borderhibbie76
10-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Were der hun not missing miller and boyd for the last 2 matches?? I dont recall seeing them against us or poppy thieves???

Steve20
10-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Hearts look quite impressive and have put together a not too bad team. Rangers look poor but will improve. We are definitely getting better but do need a few more players in if we want to be up the top.

yankyhibby
10-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Far too early for me to come to any conclusions. Form is yet to be determined. Once we have played everyone once, then a clearer picture will emerge.

Baldy Foghorn
10-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Far too early for me to come to any conclusions. Form is yet to be determined. Once we have played everyone once, then a clearer picture will emerge.

This weekend sees every team having played one game. I always thought a round of matches, was when everyone had played each other?

yankyhibby
10-08-2014, 06:08 PM
This weekend sees every team having played one game. I always thought a round of matches, was when everyone had played each other?

That's how I see it. The first round being when every team has played every other team before the 2nd round kicks off.

Keith_M
10-08-2014, 06:12 PM

:agree:

I agree that we'll have a better idea of how the season will go after the first round of matches, but so far there's only been one.

Let's see where we are on October 12th.

DH1875
10-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Plenty time for all 3 teams to sign new players. Once the transfer window has been and gone we should all have a better idea. Still think we need another striker to have a chance of winning it.

Humo
10-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Fat Sally to lose his job by Christmas for being behind hibs and hearts (hoping hibs first but could be hearts you dont know) new manger giving a bucket lode of cash for Jan transfer window and that sends Rangers up to first as the new manager will have a clue what hes doing and bring in some new players. You heard it here first

It will definitely be close for the duration of the season

:gwa::gwa:

silverhibee
10-08-2014, 11:26 PM
Good result for Raith Rovers at the weekend, will be a hard team to beat.

Liberal Hibby
10-08-2014, 11:50 PM
Fat Sally to lose his job by Christmas for being behind hibs and hearts (hoping hibs first but could be hearts you dont know) new manger giving a bucket lode of cash for Jan transfer window and that sends Rangers up to first as the new manager will have a clue what hes doing and bring in some new players. You heard it here first

It will definitely be close for the duration of the season

:gwa::gwa:

I think that's the problem everyone in the division faces. Sally will be sacked as soon as it's clear he can't get them promoted - they absolutely have to be in the top division next year as they are financially goosed if not.

But they (and Hearts) don't have a big transfer budget - but a half decent manager ought to be able to get the current group of Rangers players playing like a team who ought to win the league. They don't have money to spend - but shouldn't need to.

NAE NOOKIE
10-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Hard to tell anything from the first weekend, but as I see it.

Hibs ............... Decent start, but these are the games we must win to have any hope. We must take more of our chances.

The Rangers .... Disaster start for them against a team they will see as their main threat. Boyd & Miller have hardly had a kick in 2 games.

Yams .............. Couldn't have asked for a better start in their hardest away fixture as they will see it. Big confidence boost IMO.

Falkirk ............ Would have hoped to win at Cowdenbeath, but an away point aint a disaster at this stage.

QotS .............. Good result, but a game they would expect to win more often than not.

Raith Rovers ... Dumbarton was a tough fixture last season so a great win for them .... top of the league.

Livingston ...... Looked not too bad in patches against us and stuck with it. They wont be a walkover, but a bit to find to be a challenger.

Dumbarton ..... Bad start, but no doubt will be competitive on their own patch.

Cowdenbeath ... A point against Falkirk is an OK start, and they looked decent brushing Dunfermline aside in last years play off.

Alloa ............... Bad start, but Palmerston is never easy. Don't know much about them, but unlikely for top 4 I would guess.

In short .......... Far too early to tell, but I have a feeling nobody is going to get to the new year unbeaten.

PeeJay
11-08-2014, 05:06 AM
Well after the first round of matches, nothing to fear from what we have seen of the 2 favourites, let's see how the officiating goes in the matches though, I think the three bigger clubs will all drop points, but if we are more consistent I'm fairly confident of winning this league, especially as I think we are going to get better as the season goes on!

Seems to me that the Rangers' simple problem is that of having played in extremely low-level leagues, with all the lack of pace and quality that that involves for two seasons. Now they are in a league with better teams, more quality and more pace, i.e. much tougher opposition - they are finding it difficult to adapt - it's only a matter of time before they do. Writing them off at the moment is just plain silly. We and Hearts will raise our games for the big matches, but what happens in terms of consistency when we play the "smaller" teams is open to question. Our squads are not big enough to cope with injuries, suspensions, losses of form - how we will cope with these matters and how we apply ourselves to taking as many points of the "lesser" teams will determine our final standing. Livingstone showed we are frail at the back - and our goalie won't score that often .... think we're a long way from being in a position to say we will "win the league" or even gain promotion. Enjoy your optimism while it lasts! :greengrin

Pete
11-08-2014, 05:43 AM
Good result for Raith Rovers at the weekend, will be a hard team to beat.

Lack of depth seems to effect them and they always have dips in form.

QOS are my dark horses to trouble the top three (hibs, hearts and falkirk) this season.

Borderhibbie76
11-08-2014, 08:42 AM
Far too many people over estimating the Yams after yest. They were nothing great against a poor Huns side. ..its far too early for any bold predictions. ..including us!!

Keith_M
11-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Seems to me that the Rangers' simple problem is that of having played in extremely low-level leagues, with all the lack of pace and quality that that involves for two seasons. Now they are in a league with better teams, more quality and more pace, i.e. much tougher opposition - they are finding it difficult to adapt - it's only a matter of time before they do.

Plus the fact that they've been playing part-time teams for two years meant they've (theoretically) had an advantage as they should be fitter than the opposition. Sunday's game was the perfect example of the probelms they'll face against a full-time team that can actually play for the full 90+ minutes.

However, I'm not convinced that they necessarily will adapt. That would mean having a decent coaching team that know a little more than just throwing money at the problem.

Onion
11-08-2014, 09:15 AM

Really encouraging start. Winning the first few games and getting some momentum could be key. Last time we were down, we went on a few winning runs which heaped pressure on those around us (Falkirk, Raith) and drove the team on.

New Huns will have had a bit of a wake up call from the 2 games with us and Yams - both at Hunbrox and lucky to get anything. Failing to win this league is unthinkable for them, so would not be surprised to see them knee-jerk back into the market.

SlickShoes
11-08-2014, 09:20 AM
Walter Smith will be Rangers manager by the end of October, if Hibs and Hearts hadn't been relegated Ally may not have been found out just yet and had another year but with his tactical nous The Rangers are there for the taking by anyone in this league.

jdships
11-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Interesting aside from Huns V Slum Dwellers game yesterday
Despite taking their own Ref , Thomson, with them they picked up SIX ( One newspaper said seven) Yellow Cards and THE Rangers two
:rolleyes:
Go on like that and suspensions are just around the corner :greengrin

SanFranHibs
11-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Far too many people over estimating the Yams after yest. They were nothing great against a poor Huns side. ..its far too early for any bold predictions. ..including us!!

Can't be a bold prediction half way through the season or even a quarter of the way through :wink:

But I think most would agree with you. Not too much to be learned after only one game.

I still feel we need another couple of good players to get us through the season as a challenger. A couple of injuries and we would we screwed and I still think there are question marks about a couple of players effectiveiness.

Just my opinion of course.

However, the Hearts game to me is at this point of the season obviously important but is another yardstick. If we win we had better not beleive we are assured promotion and if we lose not give up hope.

Of course, if it ends in a draw it probably means we were the 'better' team but did not put away our chances :wink:

I am hopeful we will get another decent player or two.

Keith_M
11-08-2014, 09:42 AM
What worries me is that, after all the talk of Hibs adopting the attractive Tika-Taka style football, we're still just a hoofball team at heart, as evidenced by our second goal..........

:duck:

TowerHibs
11-08-2014, 09:56 AM
Alloa wont be as good as they have been in the last few years. Liam Buchanan up front - although a decent player, he dropped down to East Fife last year who got relegated down to League 2. He would have counted his lucky chickens when being offered a deal into the Championship

BoomtownHibees
11-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Alloa wont be as good as they have been in the last few years. Liam Buchanan up front - although a decent player, he dropped down to East Fife last year who got relegated down to League 2. He would have counted his lucky chickens when being offered a deal into the Championship

Was he at Hibs as a laddie?