PDA

View Full Version : Rangers

...WentToMowAnSPL
10-08-2014, 03:33 PM
I think I hate them and their supporters more than hearts. Discuss :)

andrew70
10-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Agreed! Mutants of the highest order. Their wee cousins aren't far behind them though.

#FromTheCapital
10-08-2014, 03:37 PM
I hate hearts more but that's only because I know a lot more hearts fans than rangers fans.
Both clubs are utterly detestable.

Steve20
10-08-2014, 03:37 PM
I dislike Hearts more than any club. Shortly followed by Celtic.

...WentToMowAnSPL
10-08-2014, 03:38 PM
I met a Hun who brought up the Jacobite rebellion .. He turned purple when I enquired if he was voting Yes !

Phil MaGlass
10-08-2014, 03:38 PM
The Rangers

...WentToMowAnSPL
10-08-2014, 03:40 PM
The Rangers

Ha yes this thread should encompass all clubs that have used the 'rangers' label except QPR

Baldy Foghorn
10-08-2014, 03:41 PM
Both sets of fans as equally horrible as the other, both have no class, no morality, and should best be ignored.....

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Hearts, Celtic then Gers for me. The Dons get right on my bosoms too, could be down to the amount of Edinburgh Uni types that seem to love them for some reason though.

VivaHiberña
10-08-2014, 04:02 PM
I've always maintained that Hearts are just our rivals, The Rangers are utter ****. As are Celtc. Very little time for the three of them but very occasionally find myself wanting Hearts to beat one of them.

Didn't mind Aberdeen until I moved up there for uni and saw the delusion and arrogance first hand. Utter fannies.

erin go bragh
10-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Its impossible for me to dislike any team more than Hearts but The Rangers are a close 2nd .

Ggtth

sadtom
10-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Celtc = thrush.
Hertz = syphilis.
Der hun = f***in' cancer!

dave62
10-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Always thought that Hearts were our rivals and the Old Firm were the enemy, but our Gorgie chums have tested that theory to breaking point over the last few seasons and it's a position I find harder to defend.

Hate Kilmarnock too.

Cameron1875
10-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Yes. Hibs and Hearts fans both able to drink together in The Counting House the Scottish cup final.

Could anyone see that being the case if it was Rangers?! :bitchy:

Diclonius
10-08-2014, 04:38 PM
Hearts are our bitter rivals and I want them to lose every game they play. However, I enjoy the rivalry and would rather they weren't wiped out of existence.

Celtic and Rangers are genuinely nasty, horrible clubs who are a cancer to the Scottish game, and I would actively celebrate if both of them ceased to exist permanently.

That's how I see it.

Lewis77
10-08-2014, 04:40 PM
I often have the same dilemma, Which team do I detest more?

I feel like it should be hearts due to some misplaced loyalty of hate as a result of local rivalry. Nevertheless, Rangers and the culture that comes with that club is absolutely abhorrent. I truly believe that club is the cheerleader for bigotry in Scotland.

There is a sinister aspect to that club and it's accompanying culture which historically seeped through to the darker corners of power in Scottish society. There is an undercurrent of true malevolence woven into the fabric of that club.

Then again hearts are just gash.

Stranraer
10-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Hearts are our bitter rivals and I want them to lose every game they play. However, I enjoy the rivalry and would rather they weren't wiped out of existence.

Celtic and Rangers are genuinely nasty, horrible clubs who are a cancer to the Scottish game, and I would actively celebrate if both of them ceased to exist permanently.

That's how I see it.

Same here. I enjoy the football banter with Hearts fans and despise the political bitterness that exists between the OF.

Pretty Boy
10-08-2014, 04:42 PM
It's like deciding whether you prefer Hitler or Stalin really.

southsider
10-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Have been going to football for 50 years and that lot are the worst team in blue from Glasgow i have ever seen. But give them their due as they have only been in existence for two seasons.

Sir David Gray
10-08-2014, 05:38 PM
There's no club I dislike more than Hearts however the Sevco fans, like their pals from the east end of their city, are from a different planet.

I don't get the same satisfaction from beating any other club like I do after a derby victory.

cleanyman
10-08-2014, 05:55 PM
At least Rangers don't hide the fact they are bawbags.

They know it.

Celtic and Hearts on the otherhand...

Onion
10-08-2014, 05:58 PM
:singing: If I had the wings of a sparrow.....

ChrissyG1875
10-08-2014, 06:02 PM
Someone on here a year or 2 ago summed it up perfectly for me. My hatred towards hearts came naturally, the OF earned it.

One Day
10-08-2014, 06:13 PM
It's like deciding whether you prefer Hitler or Stalin really.

Stalin had the better moustache

Keith_M
10-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Stalin had the better moustache

But Hitler was a vegetarian.

hibeejeebies
10-08-2014, 06:55 PM

I like Scottish football purely for my undying love for Hibs. Not too fussed about anyone else really.

:flag:

Franck Stanton
10-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Its impossible for me to dislike any team more than Hearts but The Rangers are a close 2nd .

Ggtth

This 100%

Ronniekirk
10-08-2014, 07:10 PM

Having been penned into that corner midweek and surrounded by the fervent few who were relishing having us there to abuse ,they jump to the top of my list this week ,but by next weekend am sure the Hearts support will be on the pitch when they score and finding other ways to noise us up and they will have overtaken the Rangers

Sir David Gray
10-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Having been penned into that corner midweek and surrounded by the fervent few who were relishing having us there to abuse ,they jump to the top of my list this week ,but by next weekend am sure the Hearts support will be on the pitch when they score and finding other ways to noise us up and they will have overtaken the Rangers

One way to stop that.

weonlywon6-2
10-08-2014, 07:23 PM
Both sets of fans as equally horrible as the other, both have no class, no morality, and should best be ignored.....

This sums it up

Nomeancity
10-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Will always be celtic for me. Many reasons but the main ones being,
paranoia
thinking we are the same as them
they can't spell - remember the banner
cs gas
neil Lennon & Gordon strachan
they always look dirty
invading pitch when they are getting beat
green brigade

southern hibby
10-08-2014, 07:28 PM
There's only one team I'n Glasgow ( Partick Thistle ) the other two are not teams but religious bigots.

Really can't stand either Celtic, The newest team I'n Scotland or Hearts. However The Rangers and their arrogance about hating Scotland and rather wearing England tops than The Rangers tops makes me think they really are Neanderthal Religious Bigots of the highest order.

GGTTH

VPHIBEE
10-08-2014, 07:45 PM

Ggtth
Huns without the bus fares. Never a truer saying. I don't remember the Jambo's being so bigoted when I was younger though. I don't get their utter hatred for everything Celtic. I never could stand the Jambo's, and hold both the soap dodgers in almost equal contempt, with Rangers slightly shading my level of disdain. I have never thought about my support for Hibs being in any way linked to religion.

The Gorf
10-08-2014, 08:01 PM
:singing: If I had the wings of a sparrow.....

Jeez. I've not heard that for a few decades . :thumbsup:

Green Reaper
10-08-2014, 08:05 PM
I Hate hertz and Despise the huns

Holmesdale Hibs
10-08-2014, 08:15 PM
If I wasn't a Hibs fan then Hearts wouldn't bother me but I'd hate The Rangers regardless. Newco win it for me.

emerald green
10-08-2014, 08:37 PM
In no particular order:

Worst sectarian bigots - TRFC
Biggest cheats - toss a coin
Most arrogant supporters - TRFC
Most deluded supporters - HOMFC
Delusions of grandeur - HOMFC
Sh** stadium - HOMFC
Ugliest supporters - toss a coin
Charity thieves - HOMFC
Biggest joke club - HOMFC
Biggest bunch of a***holes - toss a coin

Thecat23
10-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Who do I like more, is like asking if your girlfriend and your mum swapped bodies and only way to get them back would be to bang one!! Who would it be?!!!!

Just can't answer it.

Ronniekirk
10-08-2014, 09:10 PM
One way to stop that.

Indeed and if we won ugly one nil with a jammy deflected own goal I wouldn't mind Next week is all about the result

Jones28
10-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Put it this way, I can be mates with hearts and Celtic fans.

hibbysam
10-08-2014, 09:31 PM
A lot of people say rangers and forget Celtic.. Both horrible horrible clubs and hate them both with a passion... I don't like hearts, I hate them on derby week... But I can be friends with jambos... They know exactly how it feels to support a local side and not go glory hunting through the west... You can take and give the banter with them... Whereas you can't have any banter with the OF fans! Vile the lot of them! Was once in behind the goals before a hibs game and the old firm game was on early... Celtic scored and the place nearly erupted in cheers.. Could not believe my ears and eyes!

gorgie greens
10-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Why do Celtic fans always think we like them,i tar them with the same brush as the Huns,Horrible people from both clubs,i always remind them that we were first to wear the green,and they are not fit to wear it.

Canongatehibs
10-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Celtc = thrush.
Hertz = syphilis.

Hertz also Smegma (the really cheesy variety).

Canongatehibs
10-08-2014, 09:47 PM
A lot of people say rangers and forget Celtic.. Both horrible horrible clubs and hate them both with a passion... I don't like hearts, I hate them on derby week... But I can be friends with jambos... They know exactly how it feels to support a local side and not go glory hunting through the west... You can take and give the banter with them... Whereas you can't have any banter with the OF fans! Vile the lot of them! Was once in behind the goals before a hibs game and the old firm game was on early... Celtic scored and the place nearly erupted in cheers.. Could not believe my ears and eyes!

It's not new pal.
If you are being totally honest, hibs fans have always utterly detested the people from Govan way, WAY more than celtic. No question.

Stranraer
10-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Will always be celtic for me. Many reasons but the main ones being,
paranoia
thinking we are the same as them
they can't spell - remember the banner
cs gas
neil Lennon & Gordon strachan
they always look dirty
invading pitch when they are getting beat
green brigade

Sevco's "Blue Order" or whatever the 14 year old group of neds call themselves are the worst. Not one of them made an effort to watch the game last Tuesday. I despise Sevco. more than any other team on the planet.

hibsbollah
10-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Hate Rangers more.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
10-08-2014, 10:02 PM
The Rangers

Correct, they should only be referred to as The Rangers.

And that shower of sheets across the city should be referred to as "The Poppy Thieves"

Lest we forget.

silverhibee
10-08-2014, 11:30 PM
I don't like any team we play against.

Bring on the tramps next weekend.

:gwa:

JJP
10-08-2014, 11:34 PM
Tend to hate whichever one we are playing at the time more. Very little between the two of them and Celtic for me.

Lucius Apuleius
11-08-2014, 07:51 AM
Dont like the word, but my dislike for celtc transcends everything. I thankfully do not know many hertz fans. I am however surrounded by hun fans and believe it or not the majority of them are not bad. Pretty selective in what they say publicly but get one or two of them together and their dislike of sally and the board comes spewing out and is really rather comical.

HibbySpurs
11-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Hate Hearts the most - Simply because they are Hearts and I want them hammered every single time they play. They do have a fiar section of support who are totally deluded, however most of the yams I know are actually pretty sane people apart from their obvious yam leanings.

Hate Celtic with a passion - Despise everything the club stands for and their supporters. I could go on all day about how this mob are totally and utterly deluded and are the **** of the earth!!!

Simple examples though -

Their belief that we are somehow cousins/brothers :confused:
Their belief that they created everything to do with football supporters (A celtic fan once told me that You'll never walk alone WAS a Celitc song, not a Liverpool one (and yes this person was 100% serious)).
Their belief that they are uber fans when in fact they are generally brain dead ********s
The fact they slate Rangers for secteranisim and yet it's OK for them to wave Irish Tricolours, pictures of Bobby Sands, Sing songs about the IRA and to belittle the efforts of the British Army by havings something against poppy's
Their belief that English football really needs the OF "Blockbuster"......

Rangers - I hate Rangers and their moronic fans with their secterian ideals and totally lack of brain power, also their belief that as saidn above they believe the EPL would be a better league because of the OF "Blockbuster"

However, all Rangers fans have one redeeming feature, they do not try to hide their bigoted ways or hatred of Roman Catholics and the Irish. They are quite clear that theydont give a flying what anyone thinks of them and have no desire to dress themselves up as some sort of Uber Fans.... With a hun what you see/hear is wht you get.

Celtic on the other hand!!!!!!!!

It's a very close run thing for me between Hearts/Celtic with the yams just edging it because if it was a Celtic V Hearts cup final I'd want Celtic to win everytime.....

Crazyhorse
11-08-2014, 01:09 PM
:top marks
Celtc = thrush.
Hertz = syphilis.

blackpoolhibs
11-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Celtc = thrush.
Hertz = syphilis.

Reminds me of a joke i heard from a comedian in Tenerife. There's a new disease out now called gash, its a combination of gonorrhea aids syphilis and herpes. Anyone who has it is kept in a prison cell and fed ryvita and cheese slices.

Its not a cure, but its the only thing they can get under the cell door. :greengrin

Lewis77
11-08-2014, 01:31 PM
I'm amazed there are some here saying they prefer rangers over Celtic. Have they forgotten what club they actually support?

There is a sizable section of the rangers support who would have Hibernian supporters that hail from the traditional fan base of the club (lets call it that for want of a better description) hung from gallows simply because of their background.

Our Club does share a historical/cultural bond with Celtic. There may be some who wish to ignore that fact but it's true. I may be wrong but it's my understanding Celtic were originally going to be called Glasgow Hibernian?

The insipid culture which is woven into the fabric of rangers would have Edinburgh Hibernian wiped off the face of the earth. Of course there are good folk who support rangers, I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about the sizable chunk who would see us burn! Celtic doesn't have that issue with us, rather there is a chunk of their support who feel a kinship.

As for hearts, well words like pathetic, deranged and unpleasant spring to mind.

hibs0666
11-08-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm amazed there are some here saying they prefer rangers over Celtic. Have they forgotten what club they actually support?

There is a sizable section of the rangers support who would have Hibernian supporters that hail from the traditional fan base of the club (lets call it that for want of a better description) hung from gallows simply because of their background.

Our Club does share a historical/cultural bond with Celtic. There may be some who wish to ignore that fact but it's true. I may be wrong but it's my understanding Celtic were originally going to be called Glasgow Hibernian?

The insipid culture which is woven into the fabric of rangers would have Edinburgh Hibernian wiped off the face of the earth. Of course there are good folk who support rangers, I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about the sizable chunk who would see us burn! Celtic doesn't have that issue with us, rather there is a chunk of their support who feel a kinship.

As for hearts, well words like pathetic, deranged and unpleasant spring to mind.

The huns have never fired CS gas into a packed Hibs end - that honour goes to our Cetic cousins. It was the scariest football-watching moment of my life and i will never forgive them for it.

The_Horde
11-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Who do I like more, is like asking if your girlfriend and your mum swapped bodies and only way to get them back would be to bang one!! Who would it be?!!!!

Just can't answer it.

One match taken in with Aldo and you've already turned into a sick ba***** :greengrin

Thecat23
11-08-2014, 01:50 PM
;4124820']One match taken in with Aldo and you've already turned into a sick ba***** :greengrin

😄 I know I really need to stop hanging about with him 😁

Kato
11-08-2014, 02:07 PM
The huns have never fired CS gas into a packed Hibs end - that honour goes to our Cetic cousins. It was the scariest football-watching moment of my life and i will never forgive them for it.

It was one guy and it was Celtc fans who ID'd the culprit to send him to jail.

ryanthehibby
11-08-2014, 02:11 PM
The old firm have the classic 'always cheated, never defeated' attitude where no matter the score either the referee, assistant or the SFA themselves have a hand in the result against them.

Hearts fans have an overinflated sense of grandeur yet they have one of the worst kept stadiums in Scotland, ****my players and alumni.

They're all as bad as each other.

Smartie
11-08-2014, 02:27 PM

That "historical/cultural" bond with Celtic started with them nicking all our players and effectively sending us to the wall. We are the original Newco as a result. Forgive me if I see beyond Irish roots and the same colour of strip and prefer to focus on all the other deeply unpleasant aspects of our "relationship" with Celtic which imo only ever gets as good as being hopelessly patronised by them.

I bitterly dislike Rangers but at least you know where you stand with them.

Hearts are just rivals, albeit I think we have a nastier relationship with them than ever. I have good mates that are Jambos and I respect the old guys that were taken to Easter Road one week and Tynecastle the other and just chose one to support. I wish we'd get back to being a bit more like that. More than anything, this season I'm relishing having a decent rivalry with them again on a level playing field without any financial doping for the first time in 20+ years.

HibbySpurs
11-08-2014, 02:31 PM

Your point about Rangers fans is taken and well understood but as I said before at least they are honest about it!

Didnt Celtic nick all our players and then steal our strips if my history serves me correctly?

Some Celtic fans perhaps feel "kinship" as you say but it is most definetley a very condescending and patronising one IMO....

they can go and ram it as far as I'm concerned.

Kato
11-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Your point about Rangers fans is taken and well understood but as I said before at least they are honest about it!

Didnt Celtic nick all our players and then steal our strips if my history serves me correctly?

Some Celtic fans perhaps feel "kinship" as you say but it is most definetley a very condescending and patronising one IMO....

I, and I suppose many people on here, get the occasional line from Celtic fans when one of Hibs results affects them adversely (win or lose) - "thought Hibs would do us a favour there".

Stock answer from me is "When have Celtic ever done us any favours?"

Yet to get any decent answers for that one.

SanFranHibs
11-08-2014, 02:57 PM
That "historical/cultural" bond with Celtic started with them nicking all our players and effectively sending us to the wall. We are the original Newco as a result. Forgive me if I see beyond Irish roots and the same colour of strip and prefer to focus on all the other deeply unpleasant aspects of our "relationship" with Celtic which imo only ever gets as good as being hopelessly patronised by them.

I bitterly dislike Rangers but at least you know where you stand with them.

Hearts are just rivals, albeit I think we have a nastier relationship with them than ever. I have good mates that are Jambos and I respect the old guys that were taken to Easter Road one week and Tynecastle the other and just chose one to support. I wish we'd get back to being a bit more like that. More than anything, this season I'm relishing having a decent rivalry with them again on a level playing field without any financial doping for the first time in 20+ years.

I will always be up for Celtic over Hearts ! I want them to do well in Europe and recently said on this forum that I am being a hypocrite as I would not want Hearts to do well anywhere. Indeed, if Hearts fans are stuck at traffic lights I don't even want the lights to turn green for them. The only place I want to see Hearts as club is just opposite the Diggers pub.

I know some Hibs fans will say they don't care about any team other than Hibs and some might not, but I know if Hearts are playing Celtic who I want to win and I recall last year we were all celebrating a 0-7 at Tynecastle. Well, maybe not celebrating but I was probably happier than some Celtic fans.

And I am no closet Celtic fan I can assure you. But against Hearts and in Europe they will get my best wishes if not actual support.

I just don't think Celtic fans are as bad. You are right that they can be a little partonising but if we keep selling our players or letting them go to bigger clubs then I think it is to be expected. I think that is the case in most countries. Maybe it is just the ones I have ment and I know quite a lot but they are not as bigoted in the religious sense. Some might be much more firm in their beliefs but not bigoted in the discriminatory way that the Orange Orders are. Rangers fans just seem to be getting worse, not only in football but even their attitude to being Scottish. When I worked in Glasgow the Cetic fans at work were much friendlier and right away asked if I wanted to play fives with them and one other and I became good mates and we would hit the pubs on a Friday night. One Rangers fan hardly spoke to me for 6 months, not because I was a Hibs fan, but because he assumed I was a Catholic because I was a Hibs fan. I know this might seem like the same thing but when he found out I was not a Catholic he did not care that I was a Hibs fan and started trying to be friendlier. And my best mate in L.A. is a Celtic fan and I landed up rooming in his house when I needed a place. He was always wanting Hibs to win except against them of course. And here in Paris my mate, a Celtic fan and bartender, puts on any Hibs game he can for me and I just found out recently that the day we lost to Hamilton, which was the same day that Raja Casablanca (in fact at the same time), who also play in green, were playing for the Moroccan title he had a bottle of champagne in the cooler for me and a Moroccan Raja fan who is also a regular. Because we were both sitting there depressed after it he kept it quiet. It was only someone else told me later. Indeed, I will be going there to watch the game this Sunday.

The only point that I am trying to make and I am not saying what I have seen is universal but I just do not find the same level of bigotry anywhere else that one sees at Ibrox.

Others might have had far different experiences.

Lewis77
11-08-2014, 03:49 PM

I'm not saying Celtic are perfect by any stretch of any imagination and their fans obviously have an idiotic element that is vile. However I stand by the fact that there is a sizable chunk of the rangers support that would have a sizable chunk of our support literally dead and our club wiped of the face of the earth, whereas Celtic fans do not share that point of view.

Kato
11-08-2014, 03:59 PM
I'm not saying Celtic are perfect by any stretch of any imagination and their fans obviously have an idiotic element that is vile. However I stand by the fact that there is a sizable chunk of the rangers support that would have a sizable chunk of our support literally dead and our club wiped of the face of the earth, whereas Celtic fans do not share that point of view.

I agree with your main point re-The Rangers fans.

Another point is though is that there is a weirdo, small percentage among Celtc fans who would rather we had never existed.

Scottie
11-08-2014, 04:05 PM

Lewis don't kid yourself mate.
A chunk of Celtic fans are no different than their OF brothers in the hate they have for us.

This so called love in for Celtic by some on here makes my blood boil. They are 1 of 2 clubs from Glasgow that have pillaged and shamed the game in Scotland here for the last 50 years or so in one way or another. :grr:

Bostonhibby
11-08-2014, 04:11 PM
I agree with your main point re-The Rangers fans.

Another point is though is that there is a weirdo, small percentage among Celtc fans who would rather we had never existed.

Right on the money, if they could lift and shift our pre celtc history they really would be able to lay claim to the roots they envy us having, sadly they romanticise around an ill informed and frozen in time view invented around the time they alienated their founder and became a mercenary business focussed on the "biscuit tin" and what's in it.

The only difference between them and the new boys is the colour of their shirts and their choice of toothpaste;-)

The_Horde
11-08-2014, 04:39 PM
😄 I know I really need to stop hanging about with him 😁

Damn right you do! I don't think I'll ever recover from that visual. A mood killer if ever I saw one.. I can't blame it on the bevvy now :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
11-08-2014, 05:22 PM

That's how I see it.

Sums it up for me. Love to see Hearts lose to anybody, including OF, but would never wish them not to exist. Would love OF not to exist.

Deansy
11-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Absolutely despise and loathe 'The rangers' - s*um, low-life, vermin,filth and much, much more !. A national embarrassment and disgrace to the country. Neither the club or it's fans have any redeeming qualities whatsoever. Their 'Partners-in-Grime', Septic ? - ditto !

Hearts ? - I wasn't brought up to consider them at all (I'm 54), they were nothing, just another club in Edinburgh who were no threat to Hibs whatsoever, just easy points whenever we played them. As far as I was concerned, they were the East-Coast version of Partick Thistle - only grannies supported them. However, since Merger took them over and started their 30+ years sojourn of using (other people's) money to gain an unfair advantage, gradually they started to register on my 'Hate-list' - not so much for the defeats over that period but for the fact that their fans actually believe the change in their derby fortunes was purely down to football and that it was all honestly achieved !. Now these muppets actually believe that they're superior to us on all-levels !. Thankfully their days of 'Finance Football' are over and the future for them is 'Playing within their means' for the first time since the late 70's/80's (which will eventually come as an enormous shock to a large percentage of their fans). It won't happen overnight but in time, I fully expect them to revert to their 'Pre Wallet Merger' levels, their true-level, both in football and number of supporters (just google their results/attendances 60's/70's). Then my list can go back to just containing the 2 clubs who rely on religion for their continued existence !

Iggy Pope
11-08-2014, 06:01 PM
Dont like the word, but my dislike for celtc transcends everything. I thankfully do not know many hertz fans. I am however surrounded by hun fans and believe it or not the majority of them are not bad. Pretty selective in what they say publicly but get one or two of them together and their dislike of sally and the board comes spewing out and is really rather comical.

Has a Celtic fan (to paraphrase your good self) '****ged yer burd'?
You away and enjoy your wee selective comedy with the singularly most despicable set of 'fans' anywhere.

They must love you.

Iggy Pope
11-08-2014, 06:08 PM
Hate Hearts the most - Simply because they are Hearts and I want them hammered every single time they play. They do have a fiar section of support who are totally deluded, however most of the yams I know are actually pretty sane people apart from their obvious yam leanings.

Hate Celtic with a passion - Despise everything the club stands for and their supporters. I could go on all day about how this mob are totally and utterly deluded and are the **** of the earth!!!

Simple examples though -

Their belief that we are somehow cousins/brothers :confused:
Their belief that they created everything to do with football supporters (A celtic fan once told me that You'll never walk alone WAS a Celitc song, not a Liverpool one (and yes this person was 100% serious)).
Their belief that they are uber fans when in fact they are generally brain dead ********s
The fact they slate Rangers for secteranisim and yet it's OK for them to wave Irish Tricolours, pictures of Bobby Sands, Sing songs about the IRA and to belittle the efforts of the British Army by havings something against poppy's
Their belief that English football really needs the OF "Blockbuster"......

Rangers - I hate Rangers and their moronic fans with their secterian ideals and totally lack of brain power, also their belief that as saidn above they believe the EPL would be a better league because of the OF "Blockbuster"

However, all Rangers fans have one redeeming feature, they do not try to hide their bigoted ways or hatred of Roman Catholics and the Irish. They are quite clear that theydont give a flying what anyone thinks of them and have no desire to dress themselves up as some sort of Uber Fans.... With a hun what you see/hear is wht you get.

Celtic on the other hand!!!!!!!!

It's a very close run thing for me between Hearts/Celtic with the yams just edging it because if it was a Celtic V Hearts cup final I'd want Celtic to win everytime.....

This is a redeeming feature?

Iggy Pope
11-08-2014, 06:17 PM

While not really being the Pope I would (marginally) rather be stuck in a pub full of hertz ***** than Huns. And I would (marginally) rather be in a pub full of Celtic ***** than either of the above.

Preferably not any of the above, but I have been stuck in all three circumstances following the Hibs (unlike it might seem, some on here), so I will stick with my judgement on this.

hibees 7062
11-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Hearing Billy Davies will be back in Scottish football soon :wink:

Eyrie
11-08-2014, 07:28 PM
After due consideration, I have come to the following conclusions:

I hate Hearts more than every other club except Sevco Huns.
I hate Sevco Huns more than every other club except Septic.
I hate Septic more than every other club except Hearts.
etc

rcarter1
11-08-2014, 07:33 PM
While not really being the Pope I would (marginally) rather be stuck in a pub full of hertz ***** than Huns. And I would (marginally) rather be in a pub full of Celtic ***** than either of the above.

Preferably not any of the above, but I have been stuck in all three circumstances following the Hibs (unlike it might seem, some on here), so I will stick with my judgement on this.

Interesting way of putting it. It would depend on the fans, and whether I was the only one wearing a Hibs top, with no clear access to the exit.

Rangers - I would fear for my life

Hearts - I would fear for my sanity

Celtic - I would fear for my a***.

Either way, I laugh in all of their general directions..:flag::flag:

Lucius Apuleius
11-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Has a Celtic fan (to paraphrase your good self) '****ged yer burd'?
You away and enjoy your wee selective comedy with the singularly most despicable set of 'fans' anywhere.

They must love you.

Do yerself a favour mate, put me on ignore. Getting a wee bit fed up with you.

theonlywayisup
12-08-2014, 07:40 AM
A thread comparing and contrasting Celtic, Rangers and Hertz fans:hmmm:

Have not read all the contributions, but for me there is only one set of fans that came to Easter Road and threw a CS gas canister into the old East. Then when Hibs fans had to escape to the pitch to get away from the gas, the Celtic fans en-masse started to sing "we are Celtic supporters....".

To that day, my hatred of Celtic FC has never diminished. Yes, there are a lot of good Celtic fans, but as a group of supporters they are anything but the "best supporters in the world".

Fans of The Huns are (probably) just as bad, it's just that I have never experienced it.

The fans of Hertz, well it is all really harmless banter and we give it out as much as they do.

emerald green
12-08-2014, 10:43 AM

:agree: Absolutely not. It's appalling and absolutely disgraceful. How that club and its so called supporters have got away with it for decades is a national scandal. Scotland's shame.

If they acted in this manner against any other religious grouping or nationality they would be prosecuted, and rightly so.

Stranraer
12-08-2014, 12:09 PM

I was in a Celtic pub after the 2013 cup final... it was a grim experience.. Glaswegians kept saying "tiocfaidh ar la" it was horrible. That being said I still think it's safer than a Hun pub.

AndyM_1875
12-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Hearts are our city rivals and the banter is often fierce and unforgiving with them but they are miles below the Old Firm in my table of dislike.

I don't ever recall Hearts ganging up on the city and provincial clubs to lay down the law in terms of TV revenue (we'll take 80%) nor vote down plans for change. The Old Firm (and they always were and always will be) rely on simpletons to buy their sectarian agenda and support them. I don't either recall Hearts fans disgracing Scotland by rioting in European cities (Manchester, Amsterdam). They go abroad, usually get hammered on the pitch and in bars and try to have a good time same as us.

And whilst the fans of Celtic might say different the truth is they have missed their sectarian fixes. The Board at Celtic are desperate for Rangers to win the Championship this year as well. Lawell wants Parkhead filled and needs to get the revenue in. Those £50 match briefs and £600 a head corporate tables don't sell against Killie/Hertz/Hibs you know.

HibbySpurs
12-08-2014, 12:38 PM

Well aye in a very twisted sort of way :greengrin

At least they dont hide the fact they are ****bags behind some guise of "caring".....

erin go bragh
12-08-2014, 03:13 PM

But they have hammered nails through a golf ball and threw it into the East.
Hit a man square in his forehead and stayed there . Mid 80s . 2 cheeks of the same pigs arse .

Ggtth

vanNISHtelroy
12-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Always thought that Hearts were our rivals and the Old Firm were the enemy, but our Gorgie chums have tested that theory to breaking point over the last few seasons and it's a position I find harder to defend.

Hate Kilmarnock too.

Aww gonna cry now. :)

greenginger
12-08-2014, 03:23 PM
But they have hammered nails through a golf ball and threw it into the East.
Hit a man square in his forehead and stayed there . Mid 80s . 2 cheeks of the same pigs arse .

Ggtth

Stop insulting pigs ! :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
12-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Hearing Billy Davies will be back in Scottish football soon :wink:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Ally must stay!

Stringer
12-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Have more mates who are hearts fans, like most of the people on here probably. Old firm fans are a disgrace. The scenes after the uefa cup final in Manchester... Horrible bunch

Flanny boy
12-08-2014, 03:37 PM
:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

lobster
12-08-2014, 03:41 PM
Come independence Scotland will be like a Heineken advert and all football supporters will have a good solid rivalry with all the toxicity of the past erased.

Diclonius
12-08-2014, 04:03 PM

McCoist could single-handedly get both Hearts and Hibs promoted. :agree:

shetlandhibee
12-08-2014, 05:25 PM
I enjoy the rivalry with hearts where as I don't like rangers

Glorious St Pat
12-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Been in various Celtic pubs and always had a pretty good reception. Been amongst Rangers and Hertz supporters and have not felt comfortable. Maybe it's because I am a 'traditional' historical Hibby - doesn't make me a Celtic sympathiser though. In a village pub on Sunday watching the Huns game after our golf was rained off and a bear asked pointing at me "who the Fenian bar steward was?" all because I was wearing a green jacket and St Pats badge. Also had to suffer a smokers dinner at a Masonic lodge and the Catholic hatred was palpable. Never felt so uncomfortable in all my life. Despise them and all they stand for.

Iggy Pope
12-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Been in various Celtic pubs and always had a pretty good reception. Been amongst Rangers and Hertz supporters and have not felt comfortable. Maybe it's because I am a 'traditional' historical Hibby - doesn't make me a Celtic sympathiser though. In a village pub on Sunday watching the Huns game after our golf was rained off and a bear asked pointing at me "who the Fenian bar steward was?" all because I was wearing a green jacket and St Pats badge. Also had to suffer a smokers dinner at a Masonic lodge and the Catholic hatred was palpable. Never felt so uncomfortable in all my life. Despise them and all they stand for.

:greengrin
You might need to get a few on 'ignore'!

connerg
12-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Absolutely despise and loathe 'The rangers' - s*um, low-life, vermin,filth and much, much more !. A national embarrassment and disgrace to the country. Neither the club or it's fans have any redeeming qualities whatsoever. Their 'Partners-in-Grime', Septic ? - ditto !

Hearts ? - I wasn't brought up to consider them at all (I'm 54), they were nothing, just another club in Edinburgh who were no threat to Hibs whatsoever, just easy points whenever we played them. As far as I was concerned, they were the East-Coast version of Partick Thistle - only grannies supported them. However, since Merger took them over and started their 30+ years sojourn of using (other people's) money to gain an unfair advantage, gradually they started to register on my 'Hate-list' - not so much for the defeats over that period but for the fact that their fans actually believe the change in their derby fortunes was purely down to football and that it was all honestly achieved !. Now these muppets actually believe that they're superior to us on all-levels !. Thankfully their days of 'Finance Football' are over and the future for them is 'Playing within their means' for the first time since the late 70's/80's (which will eventually come as an enormous shock to a large percentage of their fans). It won't happen overnight but in time, I fully expect them to revert to their 'Pre Wallet Merger' levels, their true-level, both in football and number of supporters (just google their results/attendances 60's/70's). Then my list can go back to just containing the 2 clubs who rely on religion for their continued existence !

:thumbsup::top marksBrilliant and accurate.

One Day
12-08-2014, 07:13 PM

While not having much time for either I have been in a Celtic pub prior to a game at Parkhead and a Rangers pub prior to a game at Ibrox and I know what one I felt safer in

Smartie
12-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Come independence Scotland will be like a Heineken advert and all football supporters will have a good solid rivalry with all the toxicity of the past erased.

I know a fair few Huns and all of the most odious ones have said they would leave Scotland if we became independent.

If that's not a reason to vote yes then I don't know what is.

I should also say that I've always found Huns on their own fine. The more of them you get together at any one time the worse they get, culminating in Ibrox. I bet the UEFA cup final in Manchester was a joy.

rcarter1
12-08-2014, 07:45 PM
I know a fair few Huns and all of the most odious ones have said they would leave Scotland if we became independent.

If that's not a reason to vote yes then I don't know what is.

I should also say that I've always found Huns on their own fine. The more of them you get together at any one time the worse they get, culminating in Ibrox. I bet the UEFA cup final in Manchester was a joy.

:faf:

At last, a clear and well thought out reason to vote yes. Do Celtic fans feel the same?

Glorious St Pat
12-08-2014, 08:38 PM

You at the windup?

Lucius Apuleius
12-08-2014, 08:38 PM

Nodding head smiley.

Obviously don't know what lodge you were in Mr Pat but religion should not be discussed in a masonic lodge. As an aside I also have been in pubs in the Parkhead area and their hatred for everything protestant is a heck of a lot more palpable than anything I have ever experienced. Not nice at all. If we are going down the route of old firm preference ( if that is indeed even possible) depending upon our own religion then I think we are as bad as the OF. I dislike celtc more than hertz or the hun simply because I detest their patronising little jibes. I detest the way they appear, according to our history, to have taken half our team, taken our strips and all the rest of the baggage. I detest the way they cling to paddiness. Our roots can be celebrated in a modern society without trying to be something we are not.

Stranraer
12-08-2014, 08:50 PM
:faf:

At last, a clear and well thought out reason to vote yes. Do Celtic fans feel the same?

I'd say Celtic fans are more likely to support independence... anyway, if someone told me a Yes vote would mean a substantial amount of Huns moving away I would be more than happy.

Stranraer
12-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Nodding head smiley.

Obviously don't know what lodge you were in Mr Pat but religion should not be discussed in a masonic lodge. As an aside I also have been in pubs in the Parkhead area and their hatred for everything protestant is a heck of a lot more palpable than anything I have ever experienced. Not nice at all. If we are going down the route of old firm preference ( if that is indeed even possible) depending upon our own religion then I think we are as bad as the OF. I dislike celtc more than hertz or the hun simply because I detest their patronising little jibes. I detest the way they appear, according to our history, to have taken half our team, taken our strips and all the rest of the baggage. I detest the way they cling to paddiness. Our roots can be celebrated in a modern society without trying to be something we are not.

Very well said Sir. I'm proud of the fact that Hibs don't sing sectarian songs of any sort at football matches. Most OF fans don't have a clue what they are singing about.

Iggy Pope
12-08-2014, 09:23 PM
You at the windup?

No and I can't see why you think I would be. I'm sure if you look at the thread closely you'll see why. Soon you'll need a number to sign in on the thread........I took the Brothers advice and ignored him.

Leith Mo
12-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Sorry on my phone and not sure how to post a quote from a previous post but "Paddiness" from Lucius Appelius? Surely with a Latin moniker you should understand the importance and origin of the name of the club?

Glorious St Pat
12-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Nodding head smiley.

Religion in the lodge was discussed and laughed at for more than an hour. Anti-Catholicism throughout and I had to sit on my hands throughout. I am a practising Catholic and Hibby and it was not nice. Been in many Celtic pubs and nothing but I guess that is because of common roots. Our club was persecuted from establishment forces from the beginning and fought and struggled to be accepted into mainstream society. It wasn't that long ago that Catholics in this country and especially those of Irish descent who were denied their rightful place in employment and housing due to bigoted views from landlords and employers. This there is no denial. Thankfully our club, a Scottish club with proud Irish roots prevailed. Delighted that the St Pats branch remember and honour our proud past. I think a few others should at least acknowledge the prejudice and second class citizenship they faced!

Mixu62
12-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Tic fans see us as "cousins" etc right up until we take points off them. Then the façade drops faster than Vlad's overdraft.
Huns (new hun and old hun, it's the same species of fan even if the club is new) are indeed a poison in Scotland and beyond. Even the ones I meet here on the opposite side of the world can't leave their bigotry behind. And nobody cares about "Norn Iron" over here, it's a world away.
Jambo's on an individual basis can be ok, but collectively R-soles. I think a distinction has to be made between the ones who condone the actions of their club over the last 10 years and those embarrassed by it.

Iggy Pope
12-08-2014, 09:51 PM
Sorry on my phone and not sure how to post a quote from a previous post but "Paddiness" from Lucius Appelius? Surely with a Latin moniker you should understand the importance and origin of the name of the club?

I can't quote it either as I'm now ignoring him, but wish to buggery I hadn't seen this. Soon we shall all consist of 'Paddys' 'Declan's' ad nauseum.

Glorious St Pat
12-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Very well said Sir. I'm proud of the fact that Hibs don't sing sectarian songs of any sort at football matches. Most OF fans don't have a clue what they are singing about.

Surprised at your name - Morrisey considering his own Irish roots. What is paddiness? Am I not allowed to celebrate our proud Irish roots? Is our original moot and flag Erin Go Bragh not allowed?

Glorious St Pat
12-08-2014, 10:22 PM
Nodding head smiley.

So will take patronising jibes over outright bigoted hatred? Jesus!

Lucius Apuleius
13-08-2014, 08:51 AM

Please don't take the paddiness out of context, it was used to describe celtc supporters who have never been to Ireland in their life yet somehow cling to it desperately. As I have said before I appreciate our roots as much as anyone, I just do cling to Ireland as a crutch to beat people with.

Religion in the lodge was discussed and laughed at for more than an hour. Anti-Catholicism throughout and I had to sit on my hands throughout. I am a practising Catholic and Hibby and it was not nice. Been in many Celtic pubs and nothing but I guess that is because of common roots. Our club was persecuted from establishment forces from the beginning and fought and struggled to be accepted into mainstream society. It wasn't that long ago that Catholics in this country and especially those of Irish descent who were denied their rightful place in employment and housing due to bigoted views from landlords and employers. This there is no denial. Thankfully our club, a Scottish club with proud Irish roots prevailed. Delighted that the St Pats branch remember and honour our proud past. I think a few others should at least acknowledge the prejudice and second class citizenship they faced!

Then what was done in the Lodge was wrong and on behalf of Freemasonry I apologize. If you let me know which Lodge it was I would contact them. I am a practicing Protestant which is why I hate 12.30 Sunday kick offs. We Proddies only get one church service a week:wink: There is also a fair bit of Protestant persecution in our history. I can acknowledge that without getting upset about it. I cannot speak for Roman Catholic persecution in the modern world. At the end of the day we are all part of the Catholic church. Possibly I feel more dislike for celtc because of their anti-protestant songs? I don't know. I don't think so. I do not feel intimidated in a pub full of Rangers supporters and have often walked into a local pub just before the hun bus is about to leave and never felt threatened even wearing a Hibs strip or scarf. I do not in any way at all condone what they sing and shout and without a doubt it is disgusting but as I said it is not my religion they are abusing so any outrage on my part would be for others. I think everyone else is capable of being outraged themselves without mine. I should say there are one or two St Pats members who know me pretty well and would not question my hibbiness. There certainly appears to be an anti masonic "clique" on here. Maybe they do not like the fact that the five Brethren in my avatar were Masons? perhaps they don't like the fact that there are also many masons on here. I don't know but I certainly feel more upset at being called a Masonic B****** than anything else I have ever been called on here.

Surprised at your name - Morrisey considering his own Irish roots. What is paddiness? Am I not allowed to celebrate our proud Irish roots? Is our original moot and flag Erin Go Bragh not allowed?

Of course you can celebrate your roots, as we all should, but do you consider yourself Irish? Unless of course you were born there.

So will take patronising jibes over outright bigoted hatred? Jesus!

As I said I do not like the bigoted part however it is not addressed at me or my religion. I can still disagree with it though. Again to be fair, the vast majority of the hun fans I do know, and as I said I am surrounded by them (and a few Falkirk supporters I suppose) have never been of the up to their knees brigade. They do exist you know, much as it goes against what some of us would hope.

Lewis77
13-08-2014, 09:18 AM
I sometimes get the feeling that there is a section of our support who'd rather ignore/forget our proud Irish roots. I sometimes get the feeling even the name of our great club bothers them.

Rangers are the absolute poplar-opposite of our club, culturally/historically. Except theirs is a polar-opposite which would have us wiped off the face of Scottish (or as they'd put it, British) society. Let's just say Celtic doesn't have the same kind of vibe about the club.

As for those saying rangers and Celtic fans are as bad as each other, I'm sorry that's utter poppycock (just wanted to use that word). OK Celtic have an idiot element which we all well know. However, on the whole they're no where near as bad as rangers.

Just look what those idiots did to Manchester a few years back. Which was a perfect example of how ridiculous our media can be, as there were reports saying it was all 'english troublemakers' who'd infiltrated the poor wee good and respectful rangers fans! It still amazes me there were some in the media who attempted to blame it on 'english casuals'. If there was any english people involved I'll bet you they were rangers fans and being far from casual. How many english folk do you know who'd truly have the baws to cause trouble in the middle of that midden mob?

Hearts are our local rivals who don't deserve that honor!

Smartie
13-08-2014, 09:45 AM
I sometimes get the feeling that there is a section of our support who'd rather ignore/forget our proud Irish roots. I sometimes get the feeling even the name of our great club bothers them.

Rangers are the absolute poplar-opposite of our club, culturally/historically. Except theirs is a polar-opposite which would have us wiped off the face of Scottish (or as they'd put it, British) society. Let's just say Celtic doesn't have the same kind of vibe about the club.

As for those saying rangers and Celtic fans are as bad as each other, I'm sorry that's utter poppycock (just wanted to use that word). OK Celtic have an idiot element which we all well know. However, on the whole they're no where near as bad as rangers.

Just look what those idiots did to Manchester a few years back. Which was a perfect example of how ridiculous our media can be, as there were reports saying it was all 'english troublemakers' who'd infiltrated the poor wee good and respectful rangers fans! It still amazes me there were some in the media who attempted to blame it on 'english casuals'. If there was any english people involved I'll bet you they were rangers fans and being far from casual. How many english folk do you know who'd truly have the baws to cause trouble in the middle of that midden mob?

I think one thing that this thread shows is that we are a fairly broad church - we draw fans from a number of backgrounds and for a number of reasons.

Most people's dislike of other teams seems to built on their own personal sense of identity and object to things that grate with that, not necessarily anything linked to our club.

Personally I think that this is to be applauded - I hate that particularly with the OF you have to buy a set of beliefs when you follow your club. I particularly like that we have had political figures of all the main parties as fairly well-known fans over the years.

You choose to focus more on the Irish part of our roots and feel less animosity with Celtic than Rangers - fair enough, your call. But when I consider our identity as a club I prefer to focus on the fact that we shunned sectarianism very early on in our history. Those 2 clubs still trade off it to this day, so I actually see them and what they stand for as the enemy, equally.

As for the Irish roots stuff - fine, I respect it but it's just not really something that means much to me. I think we should be careful with comments such as the "Declans" one simply because our Irish history does mean a lot to some people.

When you are 10 years old playing football in the park pretending you are Steve Archibald though, Irish politics and history are nowhere to be seen.

leggeto
13-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Rangers,can't stand the sight of them

Lewis77
13-08-2014, 10:34 AM
I think one thing that this thread shows is that we are a fairly broad church - we draw fans from a number of backgrounds and for a number of reasons.

Most people's dislike of other teams seems to built on their own personal sense of identity and object to things that grate with that, not necessarily anything linked to our club.

Personally I think that this is to be applauded - I hate that particularly with the OF you have to buy a set of beliefs when you follow your club. I particularly like that we have had political figures of all the main parties as fairly well-known fans over the years.

You choose to focus more on the Irish part of our roots and feel less animosity with Celtic than Rangers - fair enough, your call. But when I consider our identity as a club I prefer to focus on the fact that we shunned sectarianism very early on in our history. Those 2 clubs still trade off it to this day, so I actually see them and what they stand for as the enemy, equally.

As for the Irish roots stuff - fine, I respect it but it's just not really something that means much to me. I think we should be careful with comments such as the "Declans" one simply because our Irish history does mean a lot to some people.

When you are 10 years old playing football in the park pretending you are Steve Archibald though, Irish politics and history are nowhere to be seen.

I don't focus on our Irish roots, I merely alluded to the fact they are there are can't be ignored! I celebrate our club, all of our club's culture and history from the beginning until now. I celebrate the fact that our fans come from a broad spectrum of Scottish society, that's something to be proud of.

Nevertheless, there is a large section of our fans who come from an element of Scottish society that produced our traditional support. The very ethos of a large element of rangers fans dictates that those of our fans from the afore mentioned section of Society be wiped off the face of the earth!

When you claim our Club/colours (fall in love with), you claim it all including the culture/history. Believe me, those rangers fans wouldn't give a Leith lemon what your background was if they saw you in those colours! Once you wear our colours and club in your heart you are open to a certain kind of bigotry, like it or not! No matter how much you may wish not to focus on it.

You and I clearly find bigotry a vile abhorrent thing. However no matter how much you may ignore it, unfortunately bigotry does not ignore you and rangers have bigotry running through the very culture and history of the club and boy can those fans run with it!

Once again, hearts simply don't deserve the honor to be called our local rivals.

Stranraer
13-08-2014, 11:13 AM

I have nothing against our Irish roots - I, like Mozza support Irish unification.

BUT

The Boys of the Old Brigade, Joe McDonnell and other Celtic songs are singing about the PIRA and that in my view is not welcome at football grounds.

EDIT: I have no problem with the Erin go Bragh flag - I have one myself, but my political views are completely separate from the football team I support.

AndyM_1875
13-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Aww gonna cry now. :)

I like Killie. **Waves**

Goes back to my having three steak and haggis pies during a particularly turgid 1-1 draw at Rugby park one year.

Iggy Pope
13-08-2014, 12:18 PM
I like Killie. **Waves**

Goes back to my having three steak and haggis pies during a particularly turgid 1-1 draw at Rugby park one year.

I like Killie as well.
Season won't be the same without a trip there.
And we have April 24th 1965 to thank them for too.

emerald green
13-08-2014, 03:41 PM
I like Killie as well.
Season won't be the same without a trip there.
And we have April 24th 1965 to thank them for too.

I was at Tynecastle that day. Hee haw. :greengrin

Iggy Pope
13-08-2014, 04:38 PM
I was at Tynecastle that day. Hee haw. :greengrin

For a Hibby attending a non-Hibs appearance at the place that must be a topper. Amazed that you are not supporting Killie. Talk about booting them right in the nuts! Twice!

Keith_M
13-08-2014, 04:45 PM
When I was 14, I took the 12 year old son of an Orangeman to a Hibs match and he thoroughly enjoyed himself.

He's probably in The Ludge himself now and would prefer to forget all about it. :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-08-2014, 06:10 PM
For a Hibby attending a non-Hibs appearance at the place that must be a topper. Amazed that you are not supporting Killie. Talk about booting them right in the nuts! Twice!

I went to a Jambos Euro match v Dnipro in the early nineties as I was waiting on the Russians for a tenner treble, IIRC both Forest and Villa had won away from home in the afternoon so I was waiting for Dnipro for about 5 or 6 ton, the outcome wasnae as good as the Killie game unfortunately. To make it worse just about every Yam I knew seemed to spot me at the game! :-(

emerald green
14-08-2014, 09:56 AM

Yep, believe it or not, a pal of mine back then was a Jambo and he and his big brother talked me into going to that match.

When I think back over all those years I suspect they were hoping I would become a Jambo, especially as they thought they only had to turn up to win the league and become champions.

Well, they blew it big-style, and there was never any chance of me ever supporting that shower. I really had to struggle to stop p****** myself laughing.

--------
14-08-2014, 10:58 AM

I don't want to forget or ignore where Hibernian FC came from, but I DO know enough about our history to know that only two other clubs in Scotland have made serious attempts to destroy us - Hearts under Mercer, and Celtic back in 1888, so you'll pardon me if I don't feel a warm glow of Oirish good-fellowship with our 'friends' from the East End.

I also know that after much heart-searching (pardon the expression), the club committee of those days concluded that the way forward for Hibernian FC was to become the local team of Leith, the eastern end of Edinburgh, and the surrounding area of the Lothians. They therefore decided to recruit players from the local area regardless of religion or ethnic background. That was in 1890-91, and Hibs have been supported by all sorts of odd individuals since then, including Lucius and yours truly.

We've had many players from an Irish background over the years, and not a few from a Catholic background. But we've also had many many players who were just Scots boys who were good (or not so good) at football and wanted the chance to play professionally, and a number from other parts of the UK, and some glorious memories of guys from Europe or even the Caribbean and South America from time to time.

What set Hibs apart when I was a boy was that Hibs fans, unlike either side of the Old Firm or Heart of Midlothian, didn't worry about what school you had gone to or what foot you kicked with. Scotland, Ireland, Tristan da Cunha, it didn't matter where you came from, you were welcome.

Then Celtic won the European Cup and the Civil Rights movement started in Ulster, which rapidly escalated into what was effectively a civil war, and all the Plastic Paddies in Scotland re-discovered their irish roots and Rebel Songs were the order of the day at both Parkhead and Easter Road.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation in Northern Ireland, the songs and chants that echoed round ER in those days were nothing more than the ignorant and mindless glorification of terrorist murder, just as bad in its own way as the mindless and ignorant singing and chanting that went on at Ibrox, (increasingly) Tynecastle, and Rugby Park and elsewhere.

This was something many Hibs fans didn't like, and they distanced themselves from it. I went along with it for a while, but now I wish I hadn't. Those songs and chants and attitudes were the unthinking and ignorant validation of terrorist murder.

I follow Hibs because I respect a tradition rooted in the idea that people who were being excluded from a growing element in Scottish life for racial and ethnic and religious reasons were given the opportunity to come in from the cold by a group of people - mainly Catholic, but assisted by Protestants and people who weren't bothered about religion or denomination at all - who set up a football club and by simply playing the best football in the country forced the powers-that-were to let them in and welcome them.

Let's be honest - Scottish football's crap. There are NO 'great clubs' in Scottish football right now, and the last couple of decades at ER hardly qualify to my reckoning as 'proud history'.

What I AM proud of is the fact that Hibernian's roots lie in a challenge to prejudice and bigotry nearly 150 years ago now.

That transcends nationality, religion, and race. There are minoroty communities in the Edinburgh area right now whom the club barely touches, and we won't touch them if we bang the 'Oirish' drum in a poor imitation of the 'big' team who stole our players, our strip, and our place in 1888.

Our roots may be in the Irish Catholic community of the Southside of the 1870's - I have no argument with that - but this is the second decade of the 21st century and Hibs, like a whole lot of others in Scottish football, need to grow up and move on and put the game in order for the future.

--------
14-08-2014, 11:23 AM

You don't know who Lucius Apuleius was, do you?

He was the second-century author of a book called "The Golden Ass", which my Latin teacher didn't allow us to read because it was VERY VERY NAUGHTY.

Nothing whatever to do with the Church in any shape or form, that's for sure. :faf:

Weststandwanab
14-08-2014, 11:27 AM

He was the second-century author of a book called "The Golden Ass", which my Latin teacher didn't allow us to read because it was VERY VERY NAUGHTY.

Nothing whatever to do with the Church in any shape or form, that's for sure. :faf:

Brilliant ! http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

Bad Martini
14-08-2014, 11:49 AM
They are ALL bawbags.

"The rangers" always hold a special low place...they probably are the worst. Vile, racist, sectarian and manky to boot. However, hearts and celtic are ever harder to separate and those "we hate ye aw ya bams" looneys from Pittodrie are not much better. They really do hate everyone :agree::greengrin

Thus, I reckon I'm going with my ammended thinking; I despise them aw, unequivocally and reserve my right to call them all total and utter wallopers.

ENDOF :thumbsup:

Leith Mo
14-08-2014, 12:14 PM

Doddie (is "the Sneaky Proddie" bit really necessary?) at no point did I mention that I did or didn't know who the author was but you assume that I didn't - very good. At no point did I mention the Church either. What I did mention was a not so veiled attack on Irish people and/or people of Irish descent who have also been referred to as "Declans" on here in the last few days.

From your age you probably remember tales of the 1930s when one third of voters in Edinburgh selected John Cormack's Protestant Action as their chosen political force - an organisation that wanted to bring in anti-Catholic legislation reminiscent of the Nuremberg Laws the Nazis imposed against Jews. Albeit that was the 1930s, but trust me bigotry in its purest form, ie anti-Catholic sentiment, is alive and well in this day and age and is still enshrined in legislation (Act of Succession; Catholic Marriages Act etc). Comments referring to "Paddiness" "Plastice Paddies" and "Declans" are sadly confirmation of this and actually very offensive to those of us of a different persuasion who are proud and mindful of our roots and history and that of our all-inclusive Club in 21st century Scotland.

JimBHibees
14-08-2014, 12:15 PM
I don't want to forget or ignore where Hibernian FC came from, but I DO know enough about our history to know that only two other clubs in Scotland have made serious attempts to destroy us - Hearts under Mercer, and Celtic back in 1888, so you'll pardon me if I don't feel a warm glow of Oirish good-fellowship with our 'friends' from the East End.

I also know that after much heart-searching (pardon the expression), the club committee of those days concluded that the way forward for Hibernian FC was to become the local team of Leith, the eastern end of Edinburgh, and the surrounding area of the Lothians. They therefore decided to recruit players from the local area regardless of religion or ethnic background. That was in 1890-91, and Hibs have been supported by all sorts of odd individuals since then, including Lucius and yours truly.

We've had many players from an Irish background over the years, and not a few from a Catholic background. But we've also had many many players who were just Scots boys who were good (or not so good) at football and wanted the chance to play professionally, and a number from other parts of the UK, and some glorious memories of guys from Europe or even the Caribbean and South America from time to time.

What set Hibs apart when I was a boy was that Hibs fans, unlike either side of the Old Firm or Heart of Midlothian, didn't worry about what school you had gone to or what foot you kicked with. Scotland, Ireland, Tristan da Cunha, it didn't matter where you came from, you were welcome.

Then Celtic won the European Cup and the Civil Rights movement started in Ulster, which rapidly escalated into what was effectively a civil war, and all the Plastic Paddies in Scotland re-discovered their irish roots and Rebel Songs were the order of the day at both Parkhead and Easter Road.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation in Northern Ireland, the songs and chants that echoed round ER in those days were nothing more than the ignorant and mindless glorification of terrorist murder, just as bad in its own way as the mindless and ignorant singing and chanting that went on at Ibrox, (increasingly) Tynecastle, and Rugby Park and elsewhere.

This was something many Hibs fans didn't like, and they distanced themselves from it. I went along with it for a while, but now I wish I hadn't. Those songs and chants and attitudes were the unthinking and ignorant validation of terrorist murder.

I follow Hibs because I respect a tradition rooted in the idea that people who were being excluded from a growing element in Scottish life for racial and ethnic and religious reasons were given the opportunity to come in from the cold by a group of people - mainly Catholic, but assisted by Protestants and people who weren't bothered about religion or denomination at all - who set up a football club and by simply playing the best football in the country forced the powers-that-were to let them in and welcome them.

Let's be honest - Scottish football's crap. There are NO 'great clubs' in Scottish football right now, and the last couple of decades at ER hardly qualify to my reckoning as 'proud history'.

What I AM proud of is the fact that Hibernian's roots lie in a challenge to prejudice and bigotry nearly 150 years ago now.

That transcends nationality, religion, and race. There are minoroty communities in the Edinburgh area right now whom the club barely touches, and we won't touch them if we bang the 'Oirish' drum in a poor imitation of the 'big' team who stole our players, our strip, and our place in 1888.

Our roots may be in the Irish Catholic community of the Southside of the 1870's - I have no argument with that - but this is the second decade of the 21st century and Hibs, like a whole lot of others in Scottish football, need to grow up and move on and put the game in order for the future.

Fantastic post. The best thing about Hibs is the inclusivity of the club.

Lewis77
14-08-2014, 02:52 PM

I celebrate the fact our support now comes from a broad spectrum of Scottish society. Nevertheless, our Irish heritage is a fact and due to that part of our club's heritage/culture the kind of bigotry which is ingrained in the culture of rangers will always be leveled at us.

Ergo, once you support our club and wear our colours you instantly become a target of said bigotry because those rangers fans I allude to, don't give a toss what your background is or what your own personal interpretation of our club is! They see Hibernian fans wearing green & white and attack. Once you wear our club in your heart and colours, you wear our history and become a target of bigotry whether you like it or not.

14-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Both two vile, arrogant, bigotted clubs that have robbed, thieved and cheated their way to success over recent years. **** the both of them, two truly truly despicable, grotty clubs.

As for celtic, they are again full of low life bigots yet somehow seem to think they are angels and seem to be highly confused as to why people hate them.

brog
14-08-2014, 03:46 PM

I was there too & spent the last 10 minutes in the company of King Pat! Beat that! :thumbsup:

danhibees1875
14-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Celtic and rangers are just two cheeks of the same arse.

And hearts? Well... somewhere in the middle you could say.

Glorious St Pat
14-08-2014, 10:35 PM

Decent post Doddie but paragraph two is partially correct according to Lugton's book. Preference was to be given to local Cathic schools as a means of player recruitment. The presence of local priests was all too prevalent right up until the Swan years with Monsignor Miley of St Ninian's the club's chaplain.

We are a broad church I agree and you touch on a good point about tapping into the minority community. Maybe Kano's bid might do just that !

Glorious St Pat
14-08-2014, 10:40 PM

Apart from the bigots though! In my face songs about Fenian blood and called likewise....I really need to get better 'friends'!

Leith Mo
14-08-2014, 10:57 PM

Yes I agree that the "Gorgie Boys" as they will sing with passion on Sunday are the equivalent of a crack between glutious maximus. However why is it that only when playing either Hibs or Celtic they sing anti Catholic songs proscribed by the laws of Scotland which when asked to enforce the local constabulary (be it Ibrox or Gorgie) refuse to enforce? And they have a "Heart of Midlothian Flute Band" marching in Orange Order parades which when finished strolling enters supporters clubs to applause and standing ovations? Wait until Sunday they are bigoted s***

Glorious St Pat
14-08-2014, 11:56 PM
Both two vile, arrogant, bigotted clubs that have robbed, thieved and cheated their way to success over recent years. **** the both of them, two truly truly despicable, grotty clubs.

As for celtic, they are again full of low life bigots yet somehow seem to think they are angels and seem to be highly confused as to why people hate them.

Maybe the confused reason is perhaps because we do live in a bigoted society - the archbishop of Edinburgh and St Andrews said so in an article not that long ago. Imagine for a minute I feel in love with one of Liz's princesses, I would be denied the right to throne. The EU through Human Rights legislation are scratching their head at this one. Bigotry and prejudice in my opinion is still legislatively and constitutionally alive in Britain today.

greenginger
15-08-2014, 12:09 AM
Maybe the confused reason is perhaps because we do live in a bigoted society - the archbishop of Edinburgh and St Andrews said so in an article not that long ago. Imagine for a minute I feel in love with one of Liz's princesses, I would be denied the right to throne. The EU through Human Rights legislation are scratching their head at this one. Bigotry and prejudice in my opinion is still legislatively and constitutionally alive in Britain today.

You would'nt have have got the Throne even if you were a proddy. Phillip only got a Dukedom . :greengrin

Brizo
15-08-2014, 07:47 AM
Ive been patronised and lectured about Hibs giving up their "birthright" (whatever that's meant to mean) in Celtc Gallowgate boozers. Ive also been chased down Paisley Road West by a tooled up sticky bun. I can assure people that while the former was annoying id take it over the latter every day of the week :greengrin.

The CS gas incident was a disgrace but in the same era "we" set off a ships flare type device in the old wooden Ibrox stand. If it hadn't been caught in the netting it could have caused similar mayhem to the CS gas canister. An element of our support were just as likely as their Celtc counterparts to indulge in mindless behaviour.

Celtc pond life and The Rangers pond life are interchangeable. The The Rangers pond life view all Hibs fans as fenian bs. If the Moderator of the COS turned up at Ibrox in a Hibs scarf theyd be called a fenian b because of the colours.... and probably because the average "defender of the faith" wouldn't recognise John Chalmers from Judith Chalmers.

I find expressions like "Paddiness" and "Declans" quite disappointing in 21st century Scotland. While I believe anti Irish and anti Catholic sentiment is nothing like it was, theres stiil an ambivalence and acceptance of these types of terms. Arsenal have a very large black support. I wonder what the backlash would be in England if people started to refer to their supporters as "Leroys" ?

People are people. Ive got mates from both sides of the OF. However when it comes to groups of them I will always feel safer among a group of Celtc fans than a group of The Rangers fans.

Lucius Apuleius
15-08-2014, 08:08 AM
Ive been patronised and lectured about Hibs giving up their "birthright" (whatever that's meant to mean) in Celtc Gallowgate boozers. Ive also been chased down Paisley Road West by a tooled up sticky bun. I can assure people that while the former was annoying id take it over the latter every day of the week :greengrin.

The CS gas incident was a disgrace but in the same era "we" set off a ships flare type device in the old wooden Ibrox stand. If it hadn't been caught in the netting it could have caused similar mayhem to the CS gas canister. An element of our support were just as likely as their Celtc counterparts to indulge in mindless behaviour.

Celtc pond life and The Rangers pond life are interchangeable. The The Rangers pond life view all Hibs fans as fenian bs. If the Moderator of the COS turned up at Ibrox in a Hibs scarf theyd be called a fenian b because of the colours.... and probably because the average "defender of the faith" wouldn't recognise John Chalmers from Judith Chalmers.

I find expressions like "Paddiness" and "Declans" quite disappointing in 21st century Scotland. While I believe anti Irish and anti Catholic sentiment is nothing like it was, theres stiil an ambivalence and acceptance of these types of terms. Arsenal have a very large black support. I wonder what the backlash would be in England if people started to refer to their supporters as "Leroys" ?

People are people. Ive got mates from both sides of the OF. However when it comes to groups of them I will always feel safer among a group of Celtc fans than a group of The Rangers fans.

You are probably right and even though my use of the word paddiness has been taken totally out of the context it was intended to represent there are obviously intelligent people as well as some numpties with pretty bigoted views themselves. I therefore apologise for the use of the word to said intelligent persons. Just as an aside my maternal great grandfather came from Dublin so I have Irish in me too even though I feel zero affinity to Ireland except politically.

AndyM_1875
15-08-2014, 08:27 AM

Is it?

Celtic have no reason to be confused about anything, they are very much the team of the Establishment in Scotland, and have been since the New Labour days where being a Rangers fan incorrectly labeled that person a bigot. Unfortunately for Celtic the decline of the Scottish game and recent displays of behavior involving puerile banners and unacceptable IRA chanting from the infantile Green Brigade plus rioting and thuggery in Amsterdam have tarnished their allure too.

So for Celtic fans to say "Aye it's pure cos we is kaffliks" just does not wash.
We are now firmly on the way to a post-religious society with religion's influence firmly on the decline. The overwhelming majority of people in Scotland do not attend churches of any sort.

Like most Hibs fans, the bigotry peddled by the Old Firm disgusts me. It is lowest common denominator, brain dead crap that has held our country back for years.

Lucius Apuleius
15-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Is it?

Celtic have no reason to be confused about anything, they are very much the team of the Establishment in Scotland, and have been since the New Labour days where being a Rangers fan incorrectly labeled that person a bigot. Unfortunately for Celtic the decline of the Scottish game and recent displays of behavior involving puerile banners and unacceptable IRA chanting from the infantile Green Brigade plus rioting and thuggery in Amsterdam have tarnished their allure too.

So for Celtic fans to say "Aye it's pure cos we is kaffliks" just does not wash.
We are now firmly on the way to a post-religious society with religion's influence firmly on the decline. The overwhelming majority of people in Scotland do not attend churches of any sort.

Like most Hibs fans, the bigotry peddled by the Old Firm disgusts me. It is lowest common denominator, brain dead crap that has held our country back for years.

Unfortunately pretty much true. Add to that, certainly in the Church of Scotland, the lack of Ministers, and it is certainly worrying, in my opinion. Our Minister decided to leave Denny and head to the wilds of Paisley to preach. He was actually an Airdrie supporter but a good guy even if his weekly hymn choice was rubbish. No idea when we can even contemplate getting another one.