PDA

View Full Version : First half passage of play

AngusHibby
10-08-2014, 07:36 AM
There was one passage of play in the first half mainly down the right flankk where we strung about 30 passes together before Harris(I think) forced the keeper into a good save. Made for absolutely glorious watching and I reckon there will be more and more of it as the season goes on.

We were by no means spectacular yesterday, but moves like that give you strong hope that AS is the right captain for this ship.

:gwa:

Tyler Durden
10-08-2014, 07:44 AM
But there was one passage of play in the first half mainly down the right flankk where we strung about 30 passes together before Harris(I think) forced the keeper into a good save. Made for absolutely glorious watching and I reckon there will be more and more of it as the season goes on.

We were by no means spectacular yesterday, but moves like that give you strong hope that AS is the right captain for this ship.

:gwa:

Or the move in the second half which ended with Stanton fluffing his shot from about 10 yards out. We moved the ball from right flank to left, ended with a brilliant composed ball from Harris, unfortunately just wasn't Stanton's day.

It will still take some fans a while to get used to keeping the ball rather than getting it forward ASAP though.

hibsbollah
10-08-2014, 08:09 AM
Or the move in the second half which ended with Stanton fluffing his shot from about 10 yards out. We moved the ball from right flank to left, ended with a brilliant composed ball from Harris, unfortunately just wasn't Stanton's day.

It will still take some fans a while to get used to keeping the ball rather than getting it forward ASAP though.

:agree: it will need a change of perspective from some of our fans. Impatiently screaming at players to 'get rid of it' when we're keeping possession won't disappear overnight.

SunshineOnLeith
10-08-2014, 08:55 AM
:agree: it will need a change of perspective from some of our fans. Impatiently screaming at players to 'get rid of it' when we're keeping possession won't disappear overnight.

Yup, still some audible groans when Liam Craig passed to Hanlon or Forster rather than aimlessly chest and punt like last season.

Hibs Class
10-08-2014, 09:15 AM
Yup, still some audible groans when Liam Craig passed to Hanlon or Forster rather than aimlessly chest and punt like last season.

:agree: Should be a clean slate for all players at the start of the season. Turning up with a "Craig always looks to pass backwards, he's the worst player I've seen in a Hibs jersey" attitude is clearly going to blinker both your opinion and your ability to support the team.

The Leith Dutch
10-08-2014, 09:53 AM

Yup.

I had a lot of issues with Butcher but at a basic level his failure to grasp the importance that having posession of the football was actually more important than the ball spending a few seconds nearer the opposition goal was the kicker.

There's a lot of ways of playing effective winning football but almost none of them work without having the ball.

I think the perspective change will happen as long as we start scoring - a back pass at 0-0 in the 80th minute is a lot easier to scream abuse at where the exact same fan will be merrily chanting "Ole!" to the same pass if we're cruising at 3-0 up.

VivaHiberņa
10-08-2014, 04:26 PM

:agree: I got thinking about this yesterday and now I'm wondering, if these people want to see the ball get belted up the park, did they actually like Butcher and his tactics? It's the only logical conclusion. :confused:

ACLeith
10-08-2014, 04:34 PM
On Tuesday Mark Oxley threw the ball out most of the time, whereas yesterday Livi pressed higher up the pitch (I assumed John McGlynn had done his homework on that game), meaning that he had to kick it long. Much preferred what he could do last Tuesday, however, "route 1" (AKA Hoofball) was a brilliant tactic - repeat next Sunday please Mark
:thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
10-08-2014, 04:38 PM
The 1st half yesterday was the best we have played in bloody months!! Anyone that disagrees is a hearts *******

Stuarty27
10-08-2014, 04:42 PM
The first half was great to watch and Livy were lucky only to be two down.

Of Stanton had scored his sitter we would of been on easy streak but in the end the 2nd half was painful,to watch at times and I was a little concerned that Stubbs didn't change things earlier, I hope to god we don't have a manager who doesn't make subs...

hibsbollah
10-08-2014, 04:43 PM
:agree: I got thinking about this yesterday and now I'm wondering, if these people want to see the ball get belted up the park, did they actually like Butcher and his tactics? It's the only logical conclusion. :confused:

I was thinking about it while watching the world cup. Almost all the teams kept possession in a way that was totally foreign to us (both as a club and as a country). Three or four minutes of controlled possession ending in a shot wasnt uncommon, even when the opposition were right in the teams faces pressing up the pitch. Chile Mexico and Colombia were the best at it. I remember saying at the time that it was like watching a different sport from Butchers tactics, which seemed to be get the attack over with asap so we can get on with defending :dunno:

Islington Hibs
10-08-2014, 04:52 PM
I was thinking about it while watching the world cup. Almost all the teams kept possession in a way that was totally foreign to us (both as a club and as a country). Three or four minutes of controlled possession ending in a shot wasnt uncommon, even when the opposition were right in the teams faces pressing up the pitch. Chile Mexico and Colombia were the best at it. I remember saying at the time that it was like watching a different sport from Butchers tactics, which seemed to be get the attack over with asap so we can get on with defending :dunno:

Agree and it was good to watch. More like chess, trying to break the opposition down, than up 'an at em' over the top of the trench to near certain death. It is the reason the home teams do so poorly in international football- we are playing a different, and inferior, game. If Stubbs can instil possession and passing we should do very well. I think the killer instinct is the only missing ingredient.

Paisley Hibby
11-08-2014, 10:27 AM
The first half was great to watch and Livy were lucky only to be two down.

Of Stanton had scored his sitter we would of been on easy streak but in the end the 2nd half was painful,to watch at times and I was a little concerned that Stubbs didn't change things earlier, I hope to god we don't have a manager who doesn't make subs...

Stubbs doesn't make subs... has a ring to it :greengrin

Seven up
11-08-2014, 11:53 AM
The screaming at Farid when he kept the ball at the corner flag in added on time made me angry.... Perhaps if he'd lost it and they went up the park and scored.... Eh naw.... He kept it there for almost 2 mins.....brilliant!

GlenrothesHibee
11-08-2014, 02:11 PM
The screaming at Farid when he kept the ball at the corner flag in added on time made me angry.... Perhaps if he'd lost it and they went up the park and scored.... Eh naw.... He kept it there for almost 2 mins.....brilliant!

Imagine he did something ridiculous like Hi 5'ing a fan then losing it ;-)