PDA

View Full Version : James collins

Hibby86
09-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Noticed he bagged a couple for Shrewsbury today. Would be interesting to see how he would be under AS.

The Green Goblin
09-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Best to move on entirely imo. He may have been better under AS, but given how he did previously, it was best to part company.

brog
09-08-2014, 07:59 PM
Noticed he bagged a couple for Shrewsbury today. Would be interesting to see how he would be under AS.

My buddie's a Shrews fan. I told him JC would get 20 goals for them this season. I wish him well, he's not the best striker I've ever seen but IMO he always gave 100%.

HoboHarry
09-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Best to move on entirely imo. He may have been better under AS, but given how he did previously, it was best to part company.
So going by that logic, no matter how good a season Liam Craig has, it would have been better for him to go too?

neil7908
09-08-2014, 08:03 PM
I think a lot of last years squad will improve massively under a better manager, be it Stubbs or anyone else.

Some of the stuff that has been mentioned on here but ITK folk who usually have good info paints a shocking picture of a bullying, aggressive and prehistoric style of management last year.

Don't get me wrong, they certainly weren't a squad of world beaters but guys like Collins will probably go on to do fairly well, albeit I dont expect him to sign for Real Madrid anytime soon. Liam Craig is beginning to show his true ability under Stubbs, although its still early days.

.Sean.
09-08-2014, 08:04 PM
He was *****. Absolutely chronic and had more than enough chances. Being absolutely pish in the pishest Hibs team says it all about him. And one of the George Street fannies. Well rid, time to move on.

Jonnyboy
09-08-2014, 08:04 PM
My buddie's a Shrews fan. I told him JC would get 20 goals for them this season. I wish him well, he's not the best striker I've ever seen but IMO he always gave 100%.

I always look out for Shrewsbury's score B, as my Mum was born there. I hope JC bags a bundle :agree:

Pretty Boy
09-08-2014, 08:05 PM
I've got no perosonal grudge against Collins but I don't care how he does elsewhere, he failed to do the business at Hibs and that's all I'm bothered about.

As said above he was one of the George Street regulars so I'm glad he's been moved on.

WestEndHibee
09-08-2014, 08:08 PM
So going by that logic, no matter how good a season Liam Craig has, it would have been better for him to go too?

Not really the same logic...

James collins was absolutely vilified by what seemed to be the majority of Hibs fans and it would have taken a long long time for him to win back the support, if he could at all. Starting fresh allows him to play with more freedom and start afresh and get back to scoring goals without the pressure he would of had here.

The hate for Craig wasn't in the same ball park as he still managed to score a fair few goals last season.

stoneyburn hibs
09-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Gutted he wasn't given another season with us.

Heisenberg
09-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Don't particularly care if he's back scoring in league 2. He was shocking for us and we got rid. No great loss.

brog
09-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Not really the same logic...

James collins was absolutely vilified by what seemed to be the majority of Hibs fans and it would have taken a long long time for him to win back the support, if he could at all. Starting fresh allows him to play with more freedom and start afresh and get back to scoring goals without the pressure he would of had here.

The hate for Craig wasn't in the same ball park as he still managed to score a fair few goals last season.

I believe they scored the same number of league goals though Liam hit 3 vs Stranraer in LC. Supporters are fickle, a couple of goals vs Yams & JC would have been a hero.

Thecat23
09-08-2014, 08:28 PM

Well said! Collins could have banged us many goals under a good manager who believed in their players. Good luck to the lad he did at least give 100% when he played!

gringojoe
09-08-2014, 08:30 PM
I would rather have him up front with with Big Al the the heft.

HoboHarry
09-08-2014, 08:32 PM
You could argue that as a captain LC failed but that is to ignore the fact that neither were in an environment that was geared up for them to succeed. James Collins will do very well this season I would imagine...

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-08-2014, 08:37 PM
When he was upfront alone, that was nonsense tactics by a manager who had lost control. Honest trier. Good luck to the boy.

silverhibee
09-08-2014, 08:37 PM
I believe they scored the same number of league goals though Liam hit 3 vs Stranraer in LC. Supporters are fickle, a couple of goals vs Yams & JC would have been a hero.

Instead he missed a few sitters against them and never become a hero for us, them is the breaks, he had chances and never took them, he might do well else where but he was a pish poor striker for us.

DTS
09-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Instead he missed a few sitters against them and never become a hero for us, them is the breaks, he had chances and never took them, he might do well else where but he was a pish poor striker for us.
People allowed Ross Caldwell to live on one winning goal against hearts some suggesting he should have got another chance this season because he was young, Collins also scored a winner against hearts and was only 22

Scottie
09-08-2014, 09:39 PM
People allowed Ross Caldwell to live on one winning goal against hearts some suggesting he should have got another chance this season because he was young, Collins also scored a winner against hearts and was only 22

:agree: Totally agree

Would have liked JC to have stayed this year as I think AS would have got the best out of him

Good luck JC

stu in nottingham
09-08-2014, 09:41 PM
I always look out for Shrewsbury's score B, as my Mum was born there. I hope JC bags a bundle :agree:

You're an oracle with a coracle, John. :)

Saint Hibee
09-08-2014, 09:55 PM
The killer for me was that he just never ever won headers. He would jump literally yards from where the ball ended up landing having completely failed to make contact. So refreshing today to actually see a Hibs striker (Farid) winning headers!

silverhibee
09-08-2014, 09:56 PM

Out the two of them i would rather have kept Caldwell.

Caldwell didn't miss sitters against them.

Peace

Nando™
09-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Why do people develop resentment for footballers that are not very good? Even the ones that gave everything they had in every match they played. I personally have the utmost respect for James Collins as a footballer, far more than I will ever have for the likes Derek Riordan and Garry O'Connor.

How is it a player's fault for not being good enough to play for us? And how does launching tirades of abuse at players (like Colin Nish) help them improve? Some people are ****ing morons. Surely their anger would be better aimed at the people responsible for bringing them here.

This post isn't entirely relevant, but the talk of James Collins reminded about how ****-witted humans can be.

davcar
09-08-2014, 10:04 PM
8 of today's starting 11 were here last season and AS has made a difference to the way we play, yes others would have benefitted from him IMHO but the fact remains he's only here because of the hole TB got us in, it's early days yet but signs are improvement

hibeesjoe
09-08-2014, 10:07 PM
I would rather have him up front with with Big Al the the heft.
I think there the same type of player. Now Leigh Griffith up front with either one would be a different matter

.Sean.
09-08-2014, 10:13 PM
I can't actually believe folk are debating wether or not he'd have turned out a player for us. He was rotten and for a striker his finishing was woeful. He had no real pace, he wasn't the strongest, his movement was awful, (see Heff dropping deep, picking the ball up and bringing the midfield into the game - brilliant) he was nothing special in the air and he couldn't run the channels.

I was right behind the guy as I thought there must've been a player in there, until it dawned on me how much of a wasted jersey he was. Goes to show that the lower English leagues which so many rave about really are over hyped when you've got donkeys like him hitting double figures.

Allan45
09-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Good for him. He could fit in this team under Stubbs. He worked his socks off,did not click under that clown Butcher, would like him here tbh, but he's no longer at Hibs. I wish him well.
:wink:

DH1875
09-08-2014, 10:44 PM
I can't actually believe folk are debating wether or not he'd have turned out a player for us. He was rotten and for a striker his finishing was woeful. He had no real pace, he wasn't the strongest, his movement was awful, (see Heff dropping deep, picking the ball up and bringing the midfield into the game - brilliant) he was nothing special in the air and he couldn't run the channels.

I was right behind the guy as I thought there must've been a player in there, until it dawned on me how much of a wasted jersey he was. Goes to show that the lower English leagues which so many rave about really are over hyped when you've got donkeys like him hitting double figures.

While your 100% spot on with what your saying, I'm pretty sure that given the chance he'd have scored goals in this division along with all the other donkeys.

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2014, 11:10 PM
He could definitely have done a job IMO. The only reason he's away and the heffs still here is that someone else wanted Collins.

Glory Lurker
10-08-2014, 02:41 AM
Why do people develop resentment for footballers that are not very good? Even the ones that gave everything they had in every match they played. I personally have the utmost respect for James Collins as a footballer, far more than I will ever have for the likes Derek Riordan and Garry O'Connor.

How is it a player's fault for not being good enough to play for us? And how does launching tirades of abuse at players (like Colin Nish) help them improve? Some people are ****ing morons. Surely their anger would be better aimed at the people responsible for bringing them here.

This post isn't entirely relevant, but the talk of James Collins reminded about how ****-witted humans can be.

Brilliant post.

The_Horde
10-08-2014, 03:02 AM

You know what's worse than people who get on the players' backs?

People who don't attend the matches, despite having the capability to attend and then have the nerve to have a go at people who don't support players.

Russ
10-08-2014, 03:09 AM

And how did he do previously in your opinion? It's not as if he missed countless sitters, the chance against the yams aside. This opinion sums up the mentality of a fair few on here. I'm amazed there's not a thread on Matthew Kennedy already and how he is not good enough.

SMAXXA
10-08-2014, 03:42 AM
Honest....I couldn't care if he scored ten. He was pish poor and has moved on, let's not keep brinigning threads about things like this. We as fans need to say it as it is and he was hopeless, we have moved on, he has moved on and good luck to both party's.

Russ
10-08-2014, 03:51 AM
Honest....I couldn't care if he scored ten. He was pish poor and has moved on, let's not keep brinigning threads about things like this. We as fans need to say it as it is and he was hopeless, we have moved on, he has moved on and good luck to both party's.

You spelt bringing and parties wrong, does that mean we should dismiss you as illiterate, or just a bad speller . The laddie tried his heart out and if he was played regularly and in an attack minded team I'm sure he would have scored goals. I'm sure it was the game after he scored his first goal Fenlon dropped him to play 1 up front. Let's not be so ignorant as to dismiss players as hopeless when we don't know what we're talking about.

How many people dismissed Torres as pish when he couldn't hit the side of a barn for Liverpool. The greatest players in the world have all hit slumps in form and missed sitters, doesn't make them pish players.

wynnie1875
10-08-2014, 04:26 AM
Was wondering how long this thread would take to come up. The guy was useless. Couldn't win a header, no first touch and bottled it in front of goal. Glad he's away.

HH81
10-08-2014, 06:57 AM

Agree to a point, however, in terms of been good enough to play for Hibs he is now playing at a higher overall standard then Hibs.

I think James will score loads this season, in fact I have a bet with someone from here that he will score 15 or more.
I think Mr Collins would have been a better option than Heff this year.

3pm
10-08-2014, 07:10 AM
Gone and forgotten.

hibbydog
10-08-2014, 07:23 AM
Was wondering how long this thread would take to come up. The guy was useless. Couldn't win a header, no first touch and bottled it in front of goal. Glad he's away.

Agreed.

The points about butcher's management style not getting te best out of him might be fair, but don't really explain his shocking technique, lack of pace and general lack of football skills.

Respect the guy? Yes I do. But we deserve more than a team of honest tryers.

Juice-Terry
10-08-2014, 07:26 AM

Liam Craig.... ****ing hell. Has he EVER had a good game for Hibs?

Danderhall Hibs
10-08-2014, 07:55 AM

Apart from yesterday?

eebsie
10-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Brilliant post.

This!

Pretty Boy
10-08-2014, 08:11 AM

Tuesday and yesterday for starters.

allezsauzee
10-08-2014, 08:26 AM
;4123087']You know what's worse than people who get on the players' backs?

People who don't attend the matches, despite having the capability to attend and then have the nerve to have a go at people who don't support players.

I disagree. As far I'm concerned, if you're there just to moan at the players then I'd prefer you'd stay away. I go to the games to SUPPORT the Hibees, been going for more than 30 years and fans getting on players back is far more likely to stop me going than the team under performing.

Dashing Bob S
10-08-2014, 08:32 AM
I liked Collins. he had a tough time of it at Hibs, but i believe had have bagged absolutely stacks of goals in the championship for us. This would, in turn, have given him traction for a strong season in the Premiership. But it's all about opinions and he's gone now, so we move on.

Still think Riordan and O'Connor could do a job for us at that level.

And it would be good to see Ivan back.

hfc-1875
10-08-2014, 08:39 AM
He was minging! Had loads of chances to score and missed a fair few sitters. Doesn't matter what league its in any decent striker given half a chance will score 9/10. Collins missed 9/10. Rotten player glad to see the back of him.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-08-2014, 08:51 AM

What did the two far superior players to Collins do as football players that lead you to post this? At the current stage of his career there is no comparison.

since90plustwo
10-08-2014, 08:56 AM
I always tried to give collins the best possible chance, thinking that there was a player in there somewhere, and came up with the end result that there wasn't. He was piss poor under fenlon and was even worse under butcher. These threads are utterly pointless and it happens every time a player leaves us and does well elsewhere, rewind the clock back to the end of the season and every hibs fan thought he was a complete and utter donkey and a complete waste of money, which he was. Good luck to the boy but he was one of the main reasons we were relegated last year. Strikers are meant to score goals and he, quite simply, didn't. People will go on about how he never got the service, which is right in a sense, but when he did he normally fluffed his lines.

allezsauzee
10-08-2014, 09:00 AM
What did the two far superior players to Collins do as football players that lead you to post this? At the current stage of his career there is no comparison.

I think that's the point the poster is trying to make. In terms of natural ability Riordan and O'Connor were in a totally different class. However both of them chose to waste it. Collins is a limited player who grafts. I think he'll be a better player at 28/29 than either of those 2 were. Don't get me wrong, in terms of how they all rate in my book, Riordan is still one of my favourite Hibs players but I respect JC for his effort and wish him all the best at Shrewbury.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-08-2014, 09:06 AM
If some posts on here are to be believed Collins "enjoys" himself off the pitch just as much as the other two did/do.

SanFranHibs
10-08-2014, 09:28 AM

Always amazes me how people can bear anyone who played for Hibs such ill will. These players were signed by us, not forced upon us and tried their best and though in our opinion it might have been woefully short of what we had hoped, they do not deserve such animosity.

However, I am surprised you said you had a lot more respect for Collins as a footballer than you do for Riordan and O'Connor. Now if you had been talking about lifestyle I am sure the Riordan and O'Connor haters will be on to back you up. But as footballers....no chance.

I do put down some of the statements aimed at ex-players and especially current players to frustration, but when it lingers on and the sentiment seems real it is sad indeed.

We don't like to see them come back and bite us but generally it is good to see ex-Hibs players and managers doing well. But maybe that is because I just like to see people do well and enjoy a bit of good fortune.

P.S. Of course I prefer it when they do even better whilst at Hibs :greengrin

Nando™
10-08-2014, 01:24 PM
;4123087']You know what's worse than people who get on the players' backs?

At least some of those people have season tickets, willing to part with cash in return for nothing.

Those two pissed and snorted their careers up the wall. They could have been held in higher regard than the Famous Five but they chose the easy option. I respect the fact that it's their choice and they can do whatever they like with their lives, but as footballers they don't deserve one iota of respect from me. If I was born with such gifts as they were, you can bet your bottom dollar I would have made much more of that potential than they did. As would be the case with many others on here.

At this point, I have no reason to doubt James Collins and, as such, hold him in as high regard as I do the likes of John Rankin.

Hibeesmad
10-08-2014, 01:44 PM
If you want to talk about ex players then talk about Eoin Doyle, ripping the English leagues to shreds

silverhibee
10-08-2014, 02:05 PM
At least some of those people have season tickets, willing to part with cash in return for nothing.

Those two pissed and snorted their careers up the wall. They could have been held in higher regard than the Famous Five but they chose the easy option. I respect the fact that it's their choice and they can do whatever they like with their lives, but as footballers they don't deserve one iota of respect from me. If I was born with such gifts as they were, you can bet your bottom dollar I would have made much more of that potential than they did. As would be the case with many others on here.

At this point, I have no reason to doubt James Collins and, as such, hold him in as high regard as I do the likes of John Rankin.

You think they were born with these gifts do you, they worked very hard as young lads to become football players and made it in the game, Riordan wasn't born two footed, that was something he learned to do when he was out with a injury to his right leg, it didn't come natural it was something he had to work on, and he wasn't born to score goals, once again that is something he worked on, you might find this hard to believe but Riordan had this piss poor attitude that he would stay back and practice his shooting after training sessions just for the sake of it.

So i don't believe they were born to be footballers, but that is what they wanted to be when they got older, now a wee question for you, what stopped you making it in football, piss poor attitude or just pish at football, you were never born with these gifts like no footballer is, so what stopped you and how do you know that you would have been a goodie and done all the right things, FFS you didn't even make it in football.

As for JC, a pish poor striker for Hibs who was part of a team who got Hibs relegated because he probably never stayed behind to work on his shooting, the way you are chatting you would think JC was some angel/roll model, the two you don't respect who may have had a few nights out still did the damage on the pitch for Hibs, more than Collins ever did and he liked the bevvy too.

John Rankin is tee-total and you cannot compare him to Mr respected JC.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-08-2014, 02:49 PM
It makes you wonder eh SH. Maybe we're just ****-witted though.

SMAXXA
10-08-2014, 02:55 PM
You spelt bringing and parties wrong, does that mean we should dismiss you as illiterate, or just a bad speller . The laddie tried his heart out and if he was played regularly and in an attack minded team I'm sure he would have scored goals. I'm sure it was the game after he scored his first goal Fenlon dropped him to play 1 up front. Let's not be so ignorant as to dismiss players as hopeless when we don't know what we're talking about.

How many people dismissed Torres as pish when he couldn't hit the side of a barn for Liverpool. The greatest players in the world have all hit slumps in form and missed sitters, doesn't make them pish players.

I couldn't care how hard he tried or how regular he should have played....in his spell at hibernian he was hopeless and I stand by that. I watched him closely about his all round play it it was very poor and I'm not just judging him on goals scored. Let's not get into comments about don't know what were talking about, it really is pointless.

brog
10-08-2014, 03:24 PM
If you want to talk about ex players then talk about Eoin Doyle, ripping the English leagues to shreds

If you call roughly 1 goal in 4 games last season in the lowest tier of English league football, ripping them to shreds, then I agree with you. FWIW I respect & envy every player who ever wore our jersey & almost without reservation I wish them well in their future career.

silverhibee
10-08-2014, 03:34 PM

Who are the two.?

eezyrider
10-08-2014, 06:13 PM
James Collins would still have been here if he hadn't been costing us so much in wages.

EZ

Nando™
10-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Would have been easier to just delete the one word like usually happens on here instead of deleting the entire post.

Won't be typing it out again.

Jonnyboy
10-08-2014, 09:34 PM
You're an oracle with a coracle, John. :)

:greengrin Coracle grounded now Stu, since the Shrews moved to their new stadium :agree:

silverhibee
10-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Would have been easier to just delete the one word like usually happens on here instead of deleting the entire post.

Won't be typing it out again.

Pity.

Hibeesmad
10-08-2014, 09:53 PM
If you call roughly 1 goal in 4 games last season in the lowest tier of English league football, ripping them to shreds, then I agree with you. FWIW I respect & envy every player who ever wore our jersey & almost without reservation I wish them well in their future career.

They were raving about him on the Football League Show last night, he scored 1 and hit the post 3 times. It's not just goals he offers, it's also his work off the ball, if it wasn't for Griffiths then Doyle would have been our star man

The_Horde
11-08-2014, 01:00 AM

What if the club needs more than mere cash? Bums on seats mean everything. If everyone bought season tickets and didn't show how would the players and staff react? Would there be any point?

What if someone who actually had an interest in supporting the side through the non big games wanted that seat?

Surely if you want to give to your club (and want nothing back) but have no intention of supporting the side then you should buy shares or some such? Donate to kicks for kids?

Nando™
11-08-2014, 04:45 AM
;4124503']What if the club needs more than mere cash? Bums on seats mean everything. If everyone bought season tickets and didn't show how would the players and staff react? Would there be any point?

What if someone who actually had an interest in supporting the side through the non big games wanted that seat?

Surely if you want to give to your club (and want nothing back) but have no intention of supporting the side then you should buy shares or some such? Donate to kicks for kids?

But that's not the case, people do show. It's the people that do nothing for the club whatsoever and claim to be supporters that need rousing.

I have bought kicks for kids tickets already, by the way ;)

My_Wife_Camille
11-08-2014, 07:19 AM
But that's not the case, people do show. It's the people that do nothing for the club whatsoever and claim to be supporters that need rousing.

I have bought kicks for kids tickets already, by the way ;)
Basically it all comes down to 3 points

1. James Collins was rank at Hibernian. I don't care who's fault that is, the fact is that he was rank and he can GTF.

2. If I had wasted my career by scoring over 100 goals for Hibs the I'd be ****ing cheesing

3. You are a Crust-Munching Bung Scrot who has ditched his mates

Nando™
11-08-2014, 07:53 AM

1. James Collins was rank at Hibernian. I don't care who's fault that is, the fact is that he was rank and he can GTF.

2. If I had wasted my career by scoring over 100 goals for Hibs the I'd be ****ing cheesing

I agree with all of that.

The_Horde
11-08-2014, 08:11 AM

Aaaabsofrickinlutely.