PDA

View Full Version : Today It Has Dawned On Me

Lewis77
09-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Today it's just dawned on me we're in the same league as Cowdenbeath, the blue Brazils! Anyone for stokecar racing?

Pretty Boy
09-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Probably the away trip I'm looking forward to most.

Easy to get to, drinks in the pubs around are ridiculously cheap and the stadium is a real lower league ground. So many of the ground we visit this year will be the same as Premiership grounds (Raith, Falkirk, hun, diets, Livi etc) I'm looking forward to Alloa and Cowdenbeath most.

Lewis77
09-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Most of my extended family are from Cowdenbeath, as is my father so I have a soft spot for the place. Should be a good day, a good laugh. Have a real sympathy for the town as it's suffered more than most.

Keith_M
09-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Wait till you visit Alloa or Dumbarton, then it'll REALLY sink in.

:wink:

down-the-slope
09-08-2014, 10:36 AM

Easy to get to, drinks in the pubs around are ridiculously cheap and the stadium is a real lower league ground. So many of the ground we visit this year will be the same as Premiership grounds (Raith, Falkirk, hun, diets, Livi etc) I'm looking forward to Alloa and Cowdenbeath most.

You must have never been in Raith's 'Main Stand' then....its a real throw back......and I remember when it was all there was in way of seating...back when I first went in the 70's

silverhibee
09-08-2014, 10:37 AM
QOTS should the away game of the season, i keep saying this but folk will struggle to get tickets for Dumbarton, Alloa will be able to take 2000 max away fans for there home games, the rest will be okay.

Rossco1875
09-08-2014, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=Lewis77;4121840]Today it's just dawned on me we're in the same league as Cowdenbeath, the blue Brazils! Anyone for stokecar racing?[

that's my plan

weecounty hibby
09-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Wait till you visit Alloa or Dumbarton, then it'll REALLY sink in.

:wink:
Oi!!!! Alloa is the centre of the known universe. Fact!! Not many wee towns like ours outwith the Edinburgh area that has a Hibs supporters club that has run a bus for decades and still going strong.

whiskyhibby
09-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Alloa is just 10 minute drive for me......so looking forward to going to these away matches

Ray_
09-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Today it's just dawned on me we're in the same league as Cowdenbeath, the blue Brazils! Anyone for stokecar racing?

Went there for a league game around 1970, pouring rain, but we won 4-1, think Kenny Davidson got a couple that day, if my memory serves me right! that means he was unlikely to be even playing :greengrin

Keith_M
09-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Oi!!!! Alloa is the centre of the known universe. Fact!! Not many wee towns like ours outwith the Edinburgh area that has a Hibs supporters club that has run a bus for decades and still going strong.

There is a theory that the centre of the Universe contains a black hole, so you could be right :wink:

Oh and I've been on the Alloa bus a couple of times, many moons ago when I used to live nearby. I even worked in Blackgrange at one point.

Sir David Gray
09-08-2014, 05:15 PM

I was there for the Scottish Cup game a couple of years ago.

It was certainly an experience but I wouldn't necessarily say it was a positive one.

Can't believe it still gets a certificate.

I know a lot of people like that sort of setting for a football ground but it's not for me.

Pretty Boy
09-08-2014, 05:17 PM

It was certainly an experience but I wouldn't necessarily say it was a positive one.

I know a lot of people like that sort of setting for a football ground but it's not for me.

My abiding memory of that day is the cold. It was absolutely freezing.

Sure that was the day the Sparky was born.

sleeping giant
09-08-2014, 05:17 PM
There is a theory that the centre of the Universe contains a black hole, so you could be right :wink:

Oh and I've been on the Alloa bus a couple of times, many moons ago when I used to live nearby. I even worked in Blackgrange at one point.

Is it not that every galaxy has a black hole ?
I also don't think its a theory.

Sir David Gray
09-08-2014, 05:20 PM
My abiding memory of that day is the cold. It was absolutely freezing.

Sure that was the day the Sparky was born.

Yep it was indeed.

It was also memorable for us being a goal down after about 20 seconds.

Keith_M
09-08-2014, 05:21 PM

Could you explain what you mean by the bit in bold?

Surely the only reason they could turn it down would be on safety grounds and it always seemed safe enough to me. For instance the Stand, as small as it is, is actually only about twenty years old.

I realise it's not a modern stadium but that's just a reflection of the league we're in now.

Keith_M
09-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Is it not that every galaxy has a black hole ?
I also don't think its a theory.

I have a theory that you're over thinking flippant/cheeky comments on a message board

sleeping giant
09-08-2014, 05:25 PM
I have a theory that you're over thinking flippant/cheeky comments on a message board

:greengrin
First time I have ever been accused of OVER thinking :greengrin

Sir David Gray
09-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Could you explain what you mean by the bit in bold?

Surely the only reason they could turn it down would be on safety grounds and it always seemed safe enough to me. For instance the Stand, as small as it is, is actually only about twenty years old.

I realise it's not a modern stadium but that's just a reflection of the league we're in now.

I've no idea about how these things work so it probably fulfils all the criteria.

I just don't think professional football grounds should be in that condition in 2014.

It's just a personal opinion though. As I've said, I know that these grounds are pretty popular with a lot of fans.

iwasthere1972
09-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Went there for a league game around 1970, pouring rain, but we won 4-1, think Kenny Davidson got a couple that day, if my memory serves me right! that means he was unlikely to be even playing :greengrin

I was there that day. The result aside it was miserable. The lasting impression that it was a dump has stayed with me all those years. I believe it hasn't changed much in 40 odd years.

Keith_M
09-08-2014, 05:31 PM
I've no idea about how these things work so it probably fulfils all the criteria.

I just don't think professional football grounds should be in that condition in 2014.

It's just a personal opinion though. As I've said, I know that these grounds are pretty popular with a lot of fans.

Fair enough, everybody's entitled to their opinions. The thing is I'm sure they would probably like a more modern stadium but clubs that size just don't have the money. They suffer the same as everybody else from having myriads of Rankers/Celtc supporters in the area.

I agree though that places like 'The Recs' are an acquired taste :greengrin

Keith_M
09-08-2014, 05:33 PM
:greengrin
First time I have ever been accused of OVER thinking :greengrin

There's a first time for everything (he says while dreaming of Rihanna taking him off to live to a life of luxury, sin and debauchery)

Lewis77
09-08-2014, 06:33 PM
I was there that day. The result aside it was miserable. The lasting impression that it was a dump has stayed with me all those years. I believe it hasn't changed much in 40 odd years.

The reality is Cowdenbeath is more run down than it was 40 years ago. Cowdenbeath High street still had a wee bit of bustle about it when I was a kid but even that's gone now. Cowdenbeath is one of these Fife towns built on the back of mining and it breaks my heart to look at the state of it now. Cowdenbeath the team got thousands when my auld man was a kid (he's the one from there).

weecounty hibby
09-08-2014, 08:05 PM

I too used to work in Blackgrange! Still work for same company but in Darkest Fife. Not worked there since 2000 when were you there and any clue as to your real identity?

Jonnyboy
09-08-2014, 08:08 PM

Ah the old memory might just be playing up Ray :greengrin

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_games.php?playerid=6203&page=2

Sas_The_Hibby
09-08-2014, 08:09 PM

Alloa Athletic MUST be dire if folk voluntarily leave the town to watch Hibs instead! :greengrin:wink:

IWasThere2016
09-08-2014, 08:14 PM

My family are from Cowden - my folks met there and it will be the highlight of my season also :thumbsup:

NAE NOOKIE
10-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Its an adventure :greengrin

stormchild
10-08-2014, 03:46 PM
I go to the stock cars every now and again, last time I was there I was talking to a couple of regular stock car/Cowdenbeath fans. They were telling me of a time not so long ago, Morton visited and brought a support thinking they were hardmen fi glesga (you know the type). It ended up a brawl in the car park behind the stand.
Some of they boys over there are pretty clued up and there is a big travelling community over that area. Just something to be aware of.
i'll be going over anyway and staying for the racing aswell as it's a good Saturday night if a little freezing.
GGTTH

Keith_M
10-08-2014, 06:39 PM
I too used to work in Blackgrange! Still work for same company but in Darkest Fife. Not worked there since 2000 when were you there and any clue as to your real identity?

It was a veeeerrrrry long time ago (92/93) and only for one year. I worked in the Disgorging Unit*. Oh and I lived in Fishcross at the time.

* For those that have never heard of that, it's not as disgusing as it sounds :wink:

Turkish Green
10-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Talking of going to sc"mmy sh**holes we are off to visit one next Sunday. I hate the smell of Marmite.

Nomeancity
10-08-2014, 07:20 PM

I thought they just call themselves the blues now cos they don't want to be associated with Brazil anymore.