PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on ground sharing with Edinburgh Rugby ?

Earl of Currie
09-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Following the announcement that Scotland are to play Tonga on an artificial turf at Kilmarnock, do you think it would be an idea to set up a partnership with Edinburgh Rugby?

Hypothetically, if Hibs were to lay an artificial turf and adjust the dimensions of the pitch/stands they could accommodate the extra rugby matches.

Ground sharing between sports is already achieved in England and France and would allow Easter Road to be used for other sports.
It would create a long term income stream and should open the club to more commercial opportunities. Additionally it may lead to additional shared arrangements, such as sharing training facilities, sport sciences, etc.

I would be interested to hear other supporters thoughts.

Keith_M
09-08-2014, 08:04 AM
More Infrastructure work? Not for me, thanks.

One Day
09-08-2014, 08:04 AM
NO

Pretty Boy
09-08-2014, 08:10 AM
Was rugby not played at ER regularly a few years ago?

Might have been about the time Edinburgh Rugby 1st came into existence.

Golden Bear
09-08-2014, 08:10 AM
Following the announcement that Scotland are to play Tonga on an artificial turf at Kilmarnock, do you think it would be an idea to set up a partnership with Edinburgh Rugby?

Hypothetically, if Hibs were to lay an artificial turf and adjust the dimensions of the pitch/stands they could accommodate the extra rugby matches.

Ground sharing between sports is already achieved in England and France and would allow Easter Road to be used for other sports.
It would create a long term income stream and should open the club to more commercial opportunities. Additionally it may lead to additional shared arrangements, such as sharing training facilities, sport sciences, etc.

I'd not be adverse to the idea but much would depend on the suitability of the playing surface. I wouldn't at all be surprised if our maroon chums and David Murray are having similar thoughts. Murray seems to be heavily involved with the SRU and he may already be looking for something to be built across on the dark side of the city.

Hibbyradge
09-08-2014, 08:12 AM
Yes from me.

We need income and this would supply some.

Scouse Hibee
09-08-2014, 08:13 AM
No not for me, the thought of an artificial pitch is enough to put me off.

Golden Bear
09-08-2014, 08:14 AM

:agree:

I seem to remember a couple of floodlit games but no more than that.

BroxburnHibee
09-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Why do we need an artificial pitch?

They started this team at Easter Road - I worked there at the time.

Wilson
09-08-2014, 08:16 AM

Yes. Edinburgh Reivers. No artificial pitch either.

Bostonhibby
09-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Maybe we could bore 18 holes and lay a few bunkers here and there as well?

None of its for me, I know there might be income involved but recent history has shown how easily distracted from the team on the pitch those who ran the club can be when another objective comes along.

Golden Bear
09-08-2014, 08:20 AM
Why do we need an artificial pitch?

They started this team at Easter Road - I worked there at the time.

Presumably to prevent to wear and tear on the pitch? Edinburgh Rugby play a lot of their games on a Friday night so I'd imagine the grass pitch would be more or less unplayable if we were at home on the Saturday.

Wilson
09-08-2014, 08:21 AM
Maybe we could bore 18 holes and lay a few bunkers here and there as well?.

Hopefully we don't have the capacity to bore under Stubbs! :)

stu in nottingham
09-08-2014, 09:36 AM
There's an example here in this city with Notts RFC sharing a pitch with Notts County FC at Meadow Lane. I don't know of any County fan who is happy with it as regular rugby games over the course of the winter make a real mess of the playing surface and make playing passing football a difficulty for long periods of time. In my experience, the Notts pitch is more resilient than what I've seen of the ER surface in recent years too.

Notts County engaged with the rugby club who had become homeless if recall, at a time when the football club were extremely cash-strapped. One can't ignore the modest income it brings in, one stand only is opened up for Notts RFC games, but for a long term arrangement it really needs to be an artificial pitch. For that reason, and whilst Hibs can 'afford' not to, I'm out as I want to see Hibs play on real grass. I accept that one day they may not be able to sustain that.

Jack
09-08-2014, 09:39 AM
If it could happen without detriment to our football operation then yes, it would make sense.

Canongatehibs
09-08-2014, 09:40 AM

Think they're already in a partnership with Meggetland, Boroughmuir RFC.

southsider
09-08-2014, 09:52 AM
No not for me, the thought of an artificial pitch is enough to put me off.
Agree, fitba should be played on grass an' no plastic. End off.

SanFranHibs
09-08-2014, 09:53 AM
I accept I am not speaking with any figures before me, but on the financial side, how much do we really think we could get from renting ER out as a venue for a rugby club? Not just the wear and tear on the field, but you would pretty muich need a full staff to do all the things that happens at a Hibs games. stewards, cleaners, police, turnstile operators etc and although they would be expected to cover it all, I just don't think there would be a big margin for profit and it would not be worth the hassle and again the wear and tear on the pitch.

Just my tuppence worth.

Bill Milne
09-08-2014, 10:01 AM
No. Bristol Rovers share their ground with Bristol RFC and, as a result, their pitch is a tattie field. No coincidence that they were relegated to the Conference last season.

SunshineOnLeith
09-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Easter Road isn't in the right part of the city for Edinburgh Rugby to play, they'd get lower crowds than they do at Murrayfield - which they don't have to pay rent on - so it wouldn't make sense for them.

While the Murrayfield pitch was getting fixed they played at Meggetland and that was really successful, so I suspect that's where any move away from using Murrayfield would take them.

GlenrothesHibee
09-08-2014, 10:06 AM

Rugby was regularly played at ER last season too. Certainly wasn't football

stu in nottingham
09-08-2014, 10:08 AM
I accept I am not speaking with any figures before me, but on the financial side, how much do we really think we could get from renting ER out as a venue for a rugby club? Not just the wear and tear on the field, but you would pretty muich need a full staff to do all the things that happens at a Hibs games. stewards, cleaners, police, turnstile operators etc and although they would be expected to cover it all, I just don't think there would be a big margin for profit and it would not be worth the hassle and again the wear and tear on the pitch.

Just my tuppence worth.

Agree with your general point about margin of profit. It wouldn't be the same amount of staff though I wouldn't imagine as only part of the ground would be opened for games.

tamig
09-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Easter Road isn't in the right part of the city for Edinburgh Rugby to play, they'd get lower crowds than they do at Murrayfield - which they don't have to pay rent on - so it wouldn't make sense for them.

While the Murrayfield pitch was getting fixed they played at Meggetland and that was really successful, so I suspect that's where any move away from using Murrayfield would take them.

They did ok crowd wise when they played at Meadowbank for a few years.

Baader
09-08-2014, 10:50 AM
No. Rugby just messes up a playing field and would not want a plastic pitch.

Might have worked last season where anything outside the penalty boxes was superfluous...

weecounty hibby
09-08-2014, 10:51 AM
In answer to a few of the posts above. It costs the SRU aprox £5m per year to run Edinburgh rugby. This includes the cost of Murrayfield, this is not free as stated above and I'm sure that a fee could be agreed for rent that would be agreeable to both parties. If we could lay a hybrid pitch that could take the wear and tear then it is a great idea. More revenue. Average crowd is probably about 3/4 thousand but for big games such as the Heineken cup quarter final there were over 20 thousand. I think it is something that could be worthwhile looking at

SunshineOnLeith
09-08-2014, 11:05 AM
In answer to a few of the posts above. It costs the SRU aprox £5m per year to run Edinburgh rugby. This includes the cost of Murrayfield, this is not free as stated above and I'm sure that a fee could be agreed for rent that would be agreeable to both parties. If we could lay a hybrid pitch that could take the wear and tear then it is a great idea. More revenue. Average crowd is probably about 3/4 thousand but for big games such as the Heineken cup quarter final there were over 20 thousand. I think it is something that could be worthwhile looking at

The charge for Murrayfield included in that though is essentially a recharge from one SRU company to another, it doesn't leave the Group.

The crowd for the Heineken Cup Quarter final was 38,000, games like that would have to be at Murrayfield. Their other big draw is the Boxing Day game against Glasgow which, again, works best at Murrayfield given it's proximity to Haymarket for the weegies coming through, and the fact you can stand pitchside with a beer. Since football is often played on Boxing Day as well, ground sharing wouldn't work here.

The only complaint with Murrayfield really is that it's far too big for their usual 6,000ish crowds, but they've made it work quite well in recent seasons by opening up the trackside for standing, it's good fun.

The Pointer
09-08-2014, 11:09 AM
I'd be delighted. Playing Edinburgh games at Murrayfield is a disaster and if a similar pitch such as they've just laid there was to be installed at ER it would work very well. Remember Glasgow played very successfully on Friday evenings at Firhill over several years before pitching up at Scotstoun and played a major part in them building up a decent fan base. The stands at Murrayfield are too shallow and distant from the pitch for any kind of atmosphere, especially when games have smaller crowds, whereas the likes of football grounds generally have steeper stands creating a better atmosphere. It'd also be nice to sit watching a game at ER with a bevvy - which would mean more revenue for the club.

Steve-O
09-08-2014, 11:31 AM
It can be done - I've regularly attended football here in Wellington on the same pitch that Super Rugby was played on the same weekend - pitch was perfect. Nae idea how they managed it, but they did.

LancashireHibby
09-08-2014, 12:03 PM
As long as we got the SRU to pay for an upgrade to a hybrid pitch and maintain it, and we got a a decent rental agreement, then I don't see any reason not to, personally. Of course the likes of Bristol (who are actually moving to Bristol City from Bristol Rovers), Nottingham at Notts County and when Saracens were at Watford are examples of how much damage rugby union can do to a pitch, they can generally cope fine with a bit of investment and upkeep with London Irish at Reading being a good example of that.

nellio
09-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Interesting thread. I'm a Cardiff fan and the Cardiff blues rugby team rented our ground off us for home games. For the first 2 years of the stadium opening. Ruined the pitch and thus our chances of playing any decent footie on the deck. Their problem was that a lot of their fans didn't want to leave the arms park in the first place and simply stopped going! Cardiff city enjoyed the extra income as we needed it at the time but the pitch was awful. The blues went back to the arms park and fitted an artificial pitch.

monktonharp
09-08-2014, 01:00 PM

rugby ay the Holy Ground ? nae chance! use of our fine training facilities,? ate, nae probs but dinnae dig up big divots on the pitches,and provide your own transport, bring a pack lunch, as we don't want ate oot o' hoose and hame.

NAE NOOKIE
10-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Nah .... The pitch at ER has been a bone of contention for a few years, we don't need a load o' bufters messing it up.

gillythehibby
10-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Absolutely NOT. Keep Rugger well away from the Holy Ground. Can you imagine the state of the pitch in winter ? Nah, sacrilege. Rugby should stick to it's own. Played beside Murrayfield or Tynecastle for that matter. !

J-C
10-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Edinburgh rugby struggle to get more than 4k crowds and the atmosphere in Murrayfield is a joke, we had the team here at ER before and my only concern would be the state of the pitch, don't really want to go down the srtificial pitch route but this all depends if the income gained is worth all the changes that would happen.

Hermit Crab
10-08-2014, 10:31 AM
I think the extra money could be useful. Maybe Edinburgh rugby would share the cost of converting the F5L to safe standing. :aok:

macd123
10-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Absolutely NOT. Keep Rugger well away from the Holy Ground. Can you imagine the state of the pitch in winter ? Nah, sacrilege. Rugby should stick to it's own. Played beside Murrayfield or Tynecastle for that matter. !

It wouldn't affect the pitch at all. But you need a desso grassmaster pitch which is hybrid grass with reinforced roots. It works well at swansea and reading fc who both share with rugby teams. Man united and arsenal both use it. The pitch would actually be better than it currently is even with the rugby.

The issue is cost. It would cost 800k so it would have to be a long term arrangement for it to be worthwhile.

--------
11-08-2014, 02:32 PM
There's an example here in this city with Notts RFC sharing a pitch with Notts County FC at Meadow Lane. I don't know of any County fan who is happy with it as regular rugby games over the course of the winter make a real mess of the playing surface and make playing passing football a difficulty for long periods of time. In my experience, the Notts pitch is more resilient than what I've seen of the ER surface in recent years too.

Notts County engaged with the rugby club who had become homeless if recall, at a time when the football club were extremely cash-strapped. One can't ignore the modest income it brings in, one stand only is opened up for Notts RFC games, but for a long term arrangement it really needs to be an artificial pitch. For that reason, and whilst Hibs can 'afford' not to, I'm out as I want to see Hibs play on real grass. I accept that one day they may not be able to sustain that.

It would have to be the sort of pitch a lot of EPL teams like Arsenal play on. IIRC, these are expensive to lay down, and expensive to maintain. Most likely the cost would outweigh the advantages?

cocopops1875
12-08-2014, 04:44 AM
Anyone who attended the Hamilton away match would probably agree that the ball just doesn't move right for a game at our level so it's a no from me

LancashireHibby
12-08-2014, 06:42 AM
Anyone who attended the Hamilton away match would probably agree that the ball just doesn't move right for a game at our level so it's a no from me

I doubt we'd go all out for a full 3G, it'd be a blend between the two. The outlay for that from the SRU would still be cheaper than operating at Murrayfield.

The players didn't seem to mind about the 3G at Hamilton btw ;)

cocopops1875
12-08-2014, 07:22 AM
In what way did the players not mind ? Because we won ? Or because they have said it's a good surface ?. As for a hybrid surface I'm not sure the outlay would be cheaper but to be honest I don't know the figures

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2014, 07:34 AM

I was all for Hibs putting one of these 4g pitches or whatever they are called, but after witnessing it first hand at Hamilton i'm dead against it now.

If thats the best there is at the moment, then its not good enough in my opinion.

Posh Swanny
12-08-2014, 08:16 AM
No need for a plastic pitch these days. Desso is the future for grass pitches and will be the technology that allows football pitches to be used almost continually, without losing the natural "feel". Basically a mesh of plastic fibres are spiked into the ground and then you grow the grass from seed as normal over the top. The fibres keep the sub-surface knitted together by giving the natural grass roots something to hold on to and thus preventing the pitch from "cutting up".

The only issue at the minute is cost as I'm pretty sure it's north of £500,000 to lay one and they've just done that at Murrayfield so I'd be amazed if the SRU will be up for forking out a good chunk of that again to help get Easter Road or Tynie up to scratch.

leithsansiro
12-08-2014, 08:42 AM
No need for a plastic pitch these days. Desso is the future for grass pitches and will be the technology that allows football pitches to be used almost continually, without losing the natural "feel". Basically a mesh of plastic fibres are spiked into the ground and then you grow the grass from seed as normal over the top. The fibres keep the sub-surface knitted together by giving the natural grass roots something to hold on to and thus preventing the pitch from "cutting up".

The only issue at the minute is cost as I'm pretty sure it's north of £500,000 to lay one and they've just done that at Murrayfield so I'd be amazed if the SRU will be up for forking out a good chunk of that again to help get Easter Road or Tynie up to scratch.

Having been pitch side at Murrayfield last week for an event I was at, the hybrid pitch they have is beautiful. Nobody would look at it and say it was plastic.

Posh Swanny
12-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Having been pitch side at Murrayfield last week for an event I was at, the hybrid pitch they have is beautiful. Nobody would look at it and say it was plastic.

They are very good. And you only see the real grass anyway.

http://www.plastix-world.com/files/2013/10/erba.jpg

LancashireHibby
12-08-2014, 09:39 AM
In what way did the players not mind ? Because we won ? Or because they have said it's a good surface ?. As for a hybrid surface I'm not sure the outlay would be cheaper but to be honest I don't know the figures
Wasn't being completely serious, but yes we had a much better win ratio on 3G last season than natural grass :greengrin

macd123
12-08-2014, 12:50 PM

3G wouldn't happen. It would be desso like man united and arsenal. It costs 800k.