PDA

View Full Version : NHC Landon Donovan announces retirement

JohnStephens91
07-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Landon Donovan, fresh from scoring the winning goal for the MLS All-Stars against Bayern Munich, announced his retirement from football (or soccer :greengrin) earlier today. His career saw him play for Bayer Leverkusen II, San Jose Earthquakes, Bayer Leverkusen, LA Galaxy, Bayern Munich and Everton - and of course the United States national team.

He is the leading goalscorer in MLS history and the leading assister in MLS history too, as well as the most capped USMNT player and the highest scorer in the history of the side too. In 156 games for the USA he scored or assisted a staggering 114 goals!

He is one of my favourite players of all time, but does anyone here have any opinions on him? I know some think that he should have played in a league with a higher standard than the MLS to prove himself, but I think he performed a vital role in the development of the sport in the States.

Five MLS Cups, two MLS Supporters' Shields, one US Open Cup, four CONCACAF Gold Cups - one legend!

blackpoolhibs
07-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Thought he was poor when Fenlon brought him in on loan, apart from that goal in the cup at Ayr, never did enough for me.

Sir David Gray
07-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Thought he was poor when Fenlon brought him in on loan, apart from that goal in the cup at Ayr, never did enough for me.

He was definitely better in Neighbours.

Scouse Hibee
07-08-2014, 07:38 PM
He was definitely better in Neighbours.

Highway to Heaven was his best

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-08-2014, 07:59 PM
Best thing about him is ex-wife Bianca Kajlich. Google is your friend, be careful though! ;-)

HibbyAndy
07-08-2014, 08:02 PM
This the guy that came on for Matty Jack in the 6-2 game?

Jonnyboy
07-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Landon Donovan, fresh from scoring the winning goal for the MLS All-Stars against Bayern Munich, announced his retirement from football (or soccer :greengrin) earlier today. His career saw him play for Bayer Leverkusen II, San Jose Earthquakes, Bayer Leverkusen, LA Galaxy, Bayern Munich and Everton - and of course the United States national team.

He is the leading goalscorer in MLS history and the leading assister in MLS history too, as well as the most capped USMNT player and the highest scorer in the history of the side too. In 156 games for the USA he scored or assisted a staggering 114 goals!

He is one of my favourite players of all time, but does anyone here have any opinions on him? I know some think that he should have played in a league with a higher standard than the MLS to prove himself, but I think he performed a vital role in the development of the sport in the States.

Five MLS Cups, two MLS Supporters' Shields, one US Open Cup, four CONCACAF Gold Cups - one legend!

I always rated him as a player S&S and agree he has done a lot to help develop 'soccer' in the US :agree:

blackpoolhibs
07-08-2014, 08:03 PM
This the guy that came on for Matty Jack in the 6-2 game?

No, that was his brother. :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Is he any relation to the guy that lead the resistance on the original series of "V"?

sleeping giant
07-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Is he any relation to the guy that lead the resistance on the original series of "V"?

:not worth

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-08-2014, 08:18 PM
There were too many broken hearts in the world after those bloody aliens turned up!

JohnStephens91
07-08-2014, 08:20 PM
I always rated him as a player S&S and agree he has done a lot to help develop 'soccer' in the US :agree:

Finally a serious response! The flippant ones made me laugh though. His most famous goal will always be the one against Algeria, but this goal against New England Revolution is my favourite!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaDap-tUwGg

HibbyAndy
07-08-2014, 08:21 PM
No, that was his brother. :greengrin

:thumbsup:

:greengrin

SanFranHibs
07-08-2014, 08:27 PM

And I thought I had trouble keeping a job !!!

Jonnyboy
07-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Finally a serious response! The flippant ones made me laugh though. His most famous goal will always be the one against Algeria, but this goal against New England Revolution is my favourite!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaDap-tUwGg

Stunning strike!! Riordanesque in its execution :greengrin

Billy McKirdy
07-08-2014, 08:40 PM
I liked Mellow Yellow :-)

JohnStephens91
07-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Stunning strike!! Riordanesque in its execution :greengrin

I can't do smilies on my phone. If I could it would get a thumbs up!

JohnStephens91
07-08-2014, 08:56 PM
And I thought I had trouble keeping a job !!!

San Jose Earthquakes, Bayern Munich and Everton were all loans, the latter two were to keep him fit and to test his skills in other leagues. The one with the Earthquakes was to get him ready for first-team football in Germany.