PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight

bobbyhibs1983
07-08-2014, 03:00 PM
(feel free to move if in wrong forum)

Has anyone any tips on losing weight and keep motorivated?

Current trying to lose weight but the old willpower is sorta heading towards zero.
I do quite a bit of walking(not fast/power walking) but sorta like atleast 3miles a day.
I do go to the gym 3/4 times a week but as motorvation is sorta goign downhill so are my workouts it seems.

Has anyone been in this postition and turned it around?

I have tried to eat healthy(honest, i do tend to eat 3/4 postions of fruit a day 5 out of 7 days weekends are hard!) but of course I sometiems snack on a packet of crisps(okay maybe 2!) and a couple of cans of pepsi are a vise too!

any tips,hints would be most welcome!:thumbsup:

The_Exile
07-08-2014, 03:13 PM
I've lost amost a stone since April when I started cycling, nothing major, 25 miles in a day is the furthest I've done so far. The best advice I've had would be "move around more and eat less s***e" :greengrin

Stranraer
07-08-2014, 03:25 PM
I used the Caveman diet and lost 5 stone in 9 months. Not sure if it did my insides any good but I certainly look better.

The_Horde
07-08-2014, 05:17 PM
There's a similar thread on the PM board.

I recommend this.

http://worldtracker.org/media/library/Health/Fitness%20&%20Nutrition%20Books/Additional/Burn%20the%20Fat,%20Feed%20the%20Muscle%20-%20Tom%20Venuto.pdf

HibbyAndy
07-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Try the Juice diet fella..Either that or get the heidphones oan and get oot running 4 times a week like me, Tho im no fat just super fit. :cb

Get yersel a buddy fae the Gym to go running with you for extra motivation.

Pretty Boy
07-08-2014, 05:57 PM
Find an activity you enjoy. If you hate running then trying to pound the pavements for miles at a time will see you fall off the wagon pretty quickly.

I've lost a bit weight lately through swimming and getting back into boxing as well as a bit hill walking and climbing. I enjoy all of those so it doesn't feel like what I'm doing is a chore.

patch1875
07-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Lots of running swimming or cycling diet wise cut the carbs especially bread.

bobbyhibs1983
07-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Ok thank you all for some wonderful advice ,it is very much appreacaited(sp):thumbsup:

over the line
08-08-2014, 09:42 AM
I lost best part of 2 stone a couple of years ago. I was doing quite a bit of hill walking, probably about 2 x 3 hour walks a week and a couple of 1 hr walks up the lane by mine. Nothing too extreme really.

The key to exercise is finding something you really enjoy and or mixing it up, to keep it interesting. Don't get stuck in a rut!

Also set yourself a goal, something challenging but achievable. Maybe a 5 or 10 km charity run, or climb a particular hill/mountain, depending on your fitness level.

I was very strict with not eating junk, no crisps, chocolate etc. Think of your food as your fuel, crisps and chocolate are crap fuel! I cut out beer and wine and replaced it with whisky and water (I'm not a f'in monk after all!). I gave myself one blowout day a week, when I would drink and have a dirty tea!

Stick to it and best of luck! :)

lord bunberry
08-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Cut down on portion sizes and don't miss meals. It's always tempting to miss breakfast or lunch but that only makes things worse.

bobbyhibs1983
08-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Ok thank you agian for eeveryone whom has posted on the trhead and given me some dieas on how to restart.
thank you again :thumbsup:

Onceinawhile
08-08-2014, 10:34 AM
Don't try fad diets, they tend to focus on liquid loss and you put it back on almost straight away. Some things that have helped me previously:

Using smaller plates.
putting the cutlery down between bites at dinner time (your stomach takes 20 minutes to realise it's full so eating slowly helps you eat less)
Drink plenty water, many people assume you are hungry when you are just dehydrated.

On the exercise front:

If you have a spare moment or two, stretch our arms or legs for a minute or two, it won't burn many calories, but they all add up.
If you're watching tv, during the adverts instead of flicking channels get up and walk around or do some sit ups. Turn dead time into something useful.

good luck.

as a further point, there is a free app called noom, helps you track calories etc... I'd recommend it.

gogs_t
08-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Football Fans in Training made a big difference to me

http://www.hibernianinthecommunity.org.uk/health-fitness-and-wellbeing/

I lost 2 stone when I did it a couple of years ago and would recommend to anybody. All about food portions, eating the right food and exercise and it's all at Easter Road with other Hibs fans!

Initially a 12 week programme and there's a follow on Fit for Change programme.

Did the Fit for Change for a while but had to stop for a variety of reasons. Put a bit of weight back on since but exercise every day which I wouldn't have done if it wasn't for FFIT.

There's a lot of things some of these guys have gone on to do that they would never have dreamed of a few years ago.

over the line
08-08-2014, 03:18 PM
A good way to stop you eating crisps, biscuits, chocolate etc, is to go on 'healthstatus.com'. You put your age, weight etc into it, then choose from a big list of what exercise/activities you are doing and for how long. It then calculates how many calories you've burned.

It'll soon put you off those sneaky bags of crisps, when you realise it takes 50 mins or something of running to burn them off! :eek:

HibbyAndy
08-08-2014, 04:25 PM
If all else fails bud get your jaws wired :aok:

:greengrin

over the line
08-08-2014, 06:44 PM
If all else fails bud get your jaws wired :aok:

:greengrin

Or smoke yourself thin! ;)

Hibby Bairn
09-08-2014, 07:07 AM
Definitely try and do exercise in the company of others. It helps maintain motivation. I am just off to do the weekly Edinburgh Parkrun along Silverknowes prom. 5km and 500 people. All free and all ages and abilities. Doing that will give you the motivation to do a bit of running midweek as well.

And as others have said eat less sh&$ e. Chippies...fizzy juice...burgers...etc. If you are eating that then unfortunately the weight will probably never come off.

Good luck.

bobbyhibs1983
10-08-2014, 09:28 AM
ok thank you all for your feedback.

I tend to struggle on the weekends mostly,!
however i have bought alot of fruit and am determined to snap on fruit,
thank you all agian for your feedback!!

MSK
10-08-2014, 10:54 AM
ok thank you all for your feedback.

I tend to struggle on the weekends mostly,!
however i have bought alot of fruit and am determined to snap on fruit,
thank you all agian for your feedback!!Train the brain ..think positive ..I never ate a breakfast before work ..I never ate anything at break time at work but I made up for that for my tea when I got home ..

Now I have porridge in the morning before work, have an apple & a snack bar at break time & I eat a healthy tea when I get home ..as a result Ive lost half a stone in a week ..:agree:

I don't do a lot of exercise, although I do cover a lot of ground as Im on my feet all day at work in the RIE ..:agree:

Be positive, you can do it ..:aok:

Thief
10-08-2014, 11:15 AM
I pretty much do what happyhibbie does as well - it's amazing how quick your body and brain get used to the idea. I can't be bothered with calorie counting, so I basically have one full meal a day at tea time. I have a healthy cereal in morning and just eat fruit or yoghurt in between times. Try to avoid feeling hungry tho, so as soon as possible after a hunger pang, have a apple or similar or a yoghurt. Surplus weight will soon disappear. If you combine it with a gym membership, consider a protein shake as well :-)

Mikey09
11-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Get yer self on the Heroin Bobby.... You seldom see a fat smack head!!!! That's a joke obviously.... Eating the right food is obvious but I found having breakfast, slice of toast and tea, then fruit and a yoghurt for lunch then something you enjoy, (within reason!!) for tea is great. But after 6pm it was nothing to eat. All that is fairly easy... Motivation is harder. If you enjoy walking download those audio books, get one on and off you go. I walked for hours at a time doing that. Worked for me.... Was 17 stone and now down to 12 and a half. Give it a go pal and the best of luck.... :aok:

sleeping giant
11-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Train the brain ..think positive ..I never ate a breakfast before work ..I never ate anything at break time at work but I made up for that for my tea when I got home ..

Now I have porridge in the morning before work, have an apple & a snack bar at break time & I eat a healthy tea when I get home ..as a result Ive lost half a stone in a week ..:agree:

I don't do a lot of exercise, although I do cover a lot of ground as Im on my feet all day at work in the RIE ..:agree:

Be positive, you can do it ..:aok:

Hi HH , can you confirm that you lost half a stone in a week !! Or was that a typo.
I'm starting back at the gym tonight but I have bad habits.
I normally miss breakfast and have a subway at lunchtime , have my tea and then cheese on toast later.

That's all stopping now.
Going to try the Nowt after 6 thing.

cocopops1875
11-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Lost a fair bit of weight a few years back, diet was simply plenty water and only fruit or small sushi portion during the day then what I wanted for dinner (to a point) portion control is a big thing for me I will demolish everything, also eating earlier 5-6pm as I was bad for playing football and getting a chippy on route home at like 10pm and go to bed. The other thing is that you can eat pretty much from anywhere in terms of take aways just try and make better choices replace a King rib supper with a grilled chicken kebab, chicken korma with a chicken dansak (no cream) and as others have said try and do more fitness stuff, I got up early and ran 3 miles ish 4-5 days a week felt amazing when I got to work at 8 am properly awake 😃. Sadly I've let it slip since I just love my scran

Jay
11-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Just back from bootcamp - love it. Fitter than ever and made loads of new friends, outdoor fitness is definitely better than the gym. Not bad for an auld woman :)

MSK
11-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Hi HH , can you confirm that you lost half a stone in a week !! Or was that a typo.
I'm starting back at the gym tonight but I have bad habits.
I normally miss breakfast and have a subway at lunchtime , have my tea and then cheese on toast later.

That's all stopping now.
Going to try the Nowt after 6 thing.Yip ..I can confirm I lost a magical 07 lbs in a week SG ..:agree:..I don't have a problem shifting weight ..I have a problem sticking to it ..:greengrin

sleeping giant
11-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Yip ..I can confirm I lost a magical 07 lbs in a week SG ..:agree:..I don't have a problem shifting weight ..I have a problem sticking to it ..:greengrin

I used to be able to run 10k in 58mins about 3 months ago. Stopped going for some reason (didnt need much of an excuse) and tonight i only managed 15 minutes.

I was on the weights too so my arms are burning and now i'm starving :faf:

Still , nowt after 6.......

sleeping giant
11-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Just back from bootcamp - love it. Fitter than ever and made loads of new friends, outdoor fitness is definitely better than the gym. Not bad for an auld woman :)

My missus done that boot camp thing and loved it.

Done through West Calder community centre and trained in Almondale park.

MSK
11-08-2014, 08:17 PM
I used to be able to run 10k in 58mins about 3 months ago. Stopped going for some reason (didnt need much of an excuse) and tonight i only managed 15 minutes.

I was on the weights too so my arms are burning and now i'm starving :faf:

Still , nowt after 6.......I was about 10 stone & built like the side o a fag paper for years ...became a Scaffolder & muscled up a bit ...started wi Tennents brewers then the muscle went from a 6 pack tae a keg then onto a barrel ...so ..14 years as a Drayman wi the brewery took its toll physically..then 9 years Nursing at the Royal Ed took its toll mentally ..been at the RIE for almost two years so gradually my sanity & health are coming back ..:greengrin

Jay
11-08-2014, 08:28 PM
My missus done that boot camp thing and loved it.

Done through West Calder community centre and trained in Almondale park.

We are at Howden park twice a week. I've done it on and off depending on injury for 18 months. My weight ballooned due to steroid meds and then I had an Achilles injury but been back 8 weeks and lost a stone already. It's tough but I love it, especially when it's raining.

Sweep
13-08-2014, 09:41 PM
I'm about 6 stones overweight and I'm worried about exercising. I want to lose weight as I'm now feeling the effects of obesity. I'm breathless after going up the stairs in my house. It scares me that I will just keel over if I started to exercise. I suffer from health anxiety so this doesn't help.

Jay
13-08-2014, 09:58 PM
I'm about 6 stones overweight and I'm worried about exercising. I want to lose weight as I'm now feeling the effects of obesity. I'm breathless after going up the stairs in my house. It scares me that I will just keel over if I started to exercise. I suffer from health anxiety so this doesn't help.

Just start by walking, doesn't have to be a power walk or even very far, just walk as far as your comfortable and go a little bit further each day. Find out from a professional what your calorie Intake should be as not eating enough isn't good for fat loss. Stick to the cals and slowly build up your walk distance and you'll notice a difference fairly quickly.

over the line
14-08-2014, 06:47 AM

Have you seen that "Biggest Loser" tv programme ? (the US version is the best). The contestants on there shift loads of weight, really inspiring. They have a website as well with loads of good advice for diet and exercise.

H18sry
14-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Football Fans in Training made a big difference to me

http://www.hibernianinthecommunity.org.uk/health-fitness-and-wellbeing/

I lost 2 stone when I did it a couple of years ago and would recommend to anybody. All about food portions, eating the right food and exercise and it's all at Easter Road with other Hibs fans!

Initially a 12 week programme and there's a follow on Fit for Change programme.

Did the Fit for Change for a while but had to stop for a variety of reasons. Put a bit of weight back on since but exercise every day which I wouldn't have done if it wasn't for FFIT.

There's a lot of things some of these guys have gone on to do that they would never have dreamed of a few years ago.
Just completed the recent course where l lost 2 stone, which is now a 2 and a half stone loss through healthier eating, portion control and exercise, l play 7's twice a week and golf at least once a week, l dropped from a 36 waist in jeans to a 32 waist in jeans and l feel a whole lot better for it. :greengrin

TheReg!
14-08-2014, 09:09 PM
One word, Insanity! It's a workout DVD you do at home, if you stick to it with a reasonable diet, you will lose the weight, hand on my heart garentee mate!! It's hard, but the rewards are awesome! It's a wee bit expensive though, but the way to look it is, you would pay every time you went to the gym or a class but this is in your house. Give it a google. Good luck !!

H18sry
14-08-2014, 09:15 PM
One word, Insanity! It's a workout DVD you do at home, if you stick to it with a reasonable diet, you will lose the weight, hand on my heart garentee mate!! It's hard, but the rewards are awesome! It's a wee bit expensive though, but the way to look it is, you would pay every time you went to the gym or a class but this is in your house. Give it a google. Good luck !!

£99 are you on commision :greengrin

TheReg!
15-08-2014, 05:48 AM
Ha, no mate, I wish I was. Like I said, it's expensive, but so is forking out £40 a month gym fees to go on a tread mill or crosser.

Pretty Boy
15-08-2014, 07:37 AM
It's also available on Youtube and several torrent sites.