PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for playing with ten men against Rangers

The Hibee Harp
07-08-2014, 07:22 AM
There are very interesting comments from Robbie Neilson in today's papers saying that Hearts have, as part of their preparations for playing Rangers, been practicising playing with ten men.

I thought it was very clever of Neilson. On one hand he is actually preparing his side for a very likely scenario whilst on the other hand he is putting pressure on the referee not give soft decisions in Rangers favour like the Handling red card.

What's everyone's view on this? Should we have done this before Tuesday's game?

Keith_M
07-08-2014, 07:25 AM
They've had players sent off in 3 of the last 6 games they've played at Ibrox, so maybe wise.

However, they've got the advantage of having Thomson as Ref this time.

PeterboroHibee
07-08-2014, 07:50 AM
There are very interesting comments from Robbie Neilson in today's papers saying that Hearts have, as part of their preparations for playing Rangers, been practicising playing with ten men.

I thought it was very clever of Neilson. On one hand he is actually preparing his side for a very likely scenario whilst on the other hand he is putting pressure on the referee not give soft decisions in Rangers favour like the Handling red card.

Managers should do training with teams down to 10 men anyway, so nothing unusual there. Id say its good management to make it public for this game in particular though, especially with us suffering from a dodgy decision at Ibrox in the same week.

Bostonhibby
07-08-2014, 07:53 AM
To be fair, maybe thomson will be under pressure from the new boys so he may well have to send off a yam to even things up. Nae way the new boys would ever settle for the 12 against 11 that the rest of us have to put up with when Thomson plays for the yam.

GreenCastle
07-08-2014, 08:16 AM

Most coaches with half a brain prepare for different scenarios. 10 players etc.

This is nothing new - just happens Neilson was asked about it and gave a response.

It's not just as simple as 10 players though as different positions getting sent off can have different scenarios plus depends when the sending off may occur and what the score is.

NAE NOOKIE
07-08-2014, 10:53 AM

Shot across the bows from the Yams and not a bad attempt at pre match psychology.

LeithBoozy
07-08-2014, 11:13 AM
It is a f£$%^&g disgrace that anyone needs to think along those lines, because refs in this country are so biased in favour of one team. I think its a smart move by Hearts to put pressure on the ref. No appeal from us for the sending off, what is that all about, who makes these decisions.

NAE NOOKIE
07-08-2014, 11:28 AM
It is a f£$%^&g disgrace that anyone needs to think along those lines, because refs in this country are so biased in favour of one team. I think its a smart move by Hearts to put pressure on the ref. No appeal from us for the sending off, what is that all about, who makes these decisions.Utterly agree ....... Its time for this club to stop pussying about, a clear case for an appeal IMO ....... we should fight tooth and nail for stuff off the park as well as on it .............. Change of attitude Hibs remember ? ...... get a grip and FFS practice what you preach.

allezsauzee
07-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Does it not cost money to appeal if the ban is upheld? Also if it was upheld presumably we wouldn't have Danny available for the derby instead of losing him against Livvy. Maybe Hibs are better off picking and choosing their fights and even though it was the most ridiculous straight red most people will have ever seen, it might be good tactics to let it slide.

SanFranHibs
07-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Does it not cost money to appeal if the ban is upheld? Also if it was upheld presumably we wouldn't have Danny available for the derby instead of losing him against Livvy. Maybe Hibs are better off picking and choosing their fights and even though it was the most ridiculous straight red most people will have ever seen, it might be good tactics to let it slide.

But I thought it was a 2 match ban. Is it not Livi and then Hearts? Or is there a game in between and LD did not call me to let me know.

SanFranHibs
07-08-2014, 12:08 PM

This is nothing new - just happens Neilson was asked about it and gave a response.

It's not just as simple as 10 players though as different positions getting sent off can have different scenarios plus depends when the sending off may occur and what the score is.

What about coaches with a full brain?

Still was a nice little fig though as he said (if I have the quote correctly) that he is preparing to play with 10 men against Rangers. Just a nice little dig. In the grand scheme of things....very little but a little comment on the referees without putting himslef in a position where he can be pulled up for it.

Diclonius
07-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Smart move by Neilson. Every club in Scotland should be doing this when they play Old Firm FC. :agree:

Geo_1875
07-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Don't be surprised if he's asked to explain his comments by the GFA.

Hertz can easily get around playing with 10 men by gifting TRFC 2 soft early goals and not looking dangerous.

Franck Stanton
07-08-2014, 01:07 PM
But I thought it was a 2 match ban. Is it not Livi and then Hearts? Or is there a game in between and LD did not call me to let me know.

He automatically misses the next game [Livingston], the second game he misses is the next game we play in Petrofac Cup [hopefully never], so is available for the derby.

Ozyhibby
07-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Smart move by Neilson to put pressure in the ref.

BH Hibs
07-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Sounds like a Potter idea to me.

Off the bar
07-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Sounds like a Potter idea to me.

he's practised playing without a striker before so there could be something in that!

soupy
07-08-2014, 02:52 PM
he's practised playing without a striker before so there could be something in that!

Haha :-)

Nutmegged
07-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Neilson will be sorry he said that when his team are down to 9 men on Sunday... :greengrin

Deek9
07-08-2014, 03:04 PM
2 game ban, misses Livi and Derby

Aldo
07-08-2014, 03:21 PM
2 game ban, misses Livi and Derby

He misses the Livi game and the next game played in the Petrofac Cup

emerald green
07-08-2014, 04:25 PM
I don't think he needs to put too much pressure on this particular referee.

Besides that, the Yaks have got the worst disciplinary record in Scotland over the last ten years as I posted yesterday.

SunshineOnLeith
07-08-2014, 04:32 PM
We were scunnered in this regard because we'd not long before made the positive change to bring Heffernan on and go for it, then Handling was sent off. I'm sure all teams prepare for these eventualities but agree with others that it's a good idea for Neilson to make it public this time.

Jonnyboy
07-08-2014, 06:51 PM

That rules Neilson out then :greengrin

Sir David Gray
07-08-2014, 07:13 PM

It would bring a whole new meaning to his infamous 4-6-0 formation.