PDA

View Full Version : Top Signings

Septimus
06-08-2014, 07:20 AM
Due to streaming problems I was unable to see all of the match last night. What I did see, however, made me glad that we did not splash out large amounts of wages for either of the two much hyped internationalist forwards that Rangers have.

We are still apparently looking for that quality signing to boost our chances of promotion but lets hope that it is not some has been whose best days are well behind him.

Hibs will not have to play 12 men in every match. Neither will Rangers continue to look as clueless as they did last night but I still think that we are in with a real chance to win the league.

Nutmegged
06-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Kris Boyd scored 22 League goals in 35ish games in Premiership last season and was a breath of fresh air, he has transformed his game and is a big plus for his team now, he thrived on being the elder statesman of that Kilmarnock side, if you don't think he would have been a huge plus to our chances this Season I think you're neing disingenuous mate.

PeterboroHibee
06-08-2014, 08:55 AM
Boyd will always be a threat because hes such a lethal finisher. Games can pass him by yet he can still pop up at the right moment and win the game. Id certainly have him at Hibs, and I imagine he would thrive more with the style we are playing than what Rangers produced last night. Miller looks past his best now though (although similarly, the style of football wont help).

SanFranHibs
06-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Kris Boyd scored 22 League goals in 35ish games in Premiership last season and was a breath of fresh air, he has transformed his game and is a big plus for his team now, he thrived on being the elder statesman of that Kilmarnock side, if you don't think he would have been a huge plus to our chances this Season I think you're neing disingenuous mate.

Agreed. And I feel confident that if he was in our team last night he would have been on the score sheet. Like him or not, he can score goals. 20+ last season. I am not saying we should be spending our post match nights at the Wailing Wall because we did not get Boyd or Miller but last night we were crying out for someone just to put the ball in the net. We got one but it should have been more. Hopefully young Cummings will step up this year.

Borderhibbie76
06-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Agreed. And I feel confident that if he was in our team last night he would have been on the score sheet. Like him or not, he can score goals. 20+ last season. I am not saying we should be spending our post match nights at the Wailing Wall because we did not get Boyd or Miller but last night we were crying out for someone just to put the ball in the net. We got one but it should have been more. Hopefully young Cummings will step up this year.
If as rumoured he is on 7 to 8k at the currant buns...along with Miller if u seriously believe we ever had a chance of signing either you are deluding yourselves! ! Get real...way out with iur budget as an SPL team...never mind the fact we are newly relegated! We all want quality signings but I think a healthy doze of realism is required here...

greenlex
06-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Boyd will always be a threat because hes such a lethal finisher. Games can pass him by yet he can still pop up at the right moment and win the game. Id certainly have him at Hibs, and I imagine he would thrive more with the style we are playing than what Rangers produced last night. Miller looks past his best now though (although similarly, the style of football wont help).Disagree about Miller. I thought he looked sharp and eager to have the ball. I think you are spot on he was let down by the pedestrian nature of his team mates. I bet he is wishing he had had the opportunity to sign for us more money or not.

SanFranHibs
06-08-2014, 11:51 AM
If as rumoured he is on 7 to 8k at the currant buns...along with Miller if u seriously believe we ever had a chance of signing either you are deluding yourselves! ! Get real...way out with iur budget as an SPL team...never mind the fact we are newly relegated! We all want quality signings but I think a healthy doze of realism is required here...

Actually I never said we should have signed him if we cannot afford him. In fact I don't think I have ever said we should sign him. My post was a response to people saying that after one game he looks sh*t. My point was that it is diffcult to slag him off and had he been in our team and he was given the chances that we had last night I am confident he would have scored. If he plays like he did last season he will probably score 20 again. I don't know what he is being paid but if Rangers can afford him I don't care. I never said we should break the bank to get anyone. I don't require a healthy dose of realism and I think we are all aware of our situation. There are just different views on how we should proceed or at least how far we should be willing to go to acquire quality signings and indeed some very interesting posts recently on how we handled relegation last time.

Quality signings don't come cheap. You can be lucky and pick up a player that maybe has struggled and finds a new lease of life but then that is not a 'quality' signing. That is just a low cost option that turns out well. The fact that a player is rated a quality signing means he has proved it and will be priced accordingly.

We don't need a dose of realism to tell us that, healthy or otherwise.