PDA

View Full Version : Performance

loanhead hibs
05-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Thought we out played the rangers in large spells and looked dangerous on the break. Defence solid against miller and Boyd. Could do with a bit more creativity in midfield but hopefully that will come.

Fans superb. With that backing and that performance well not be far away.

NOLA
05-08-2014, 09:58 PM
still lacking a cutting edge, early days though, upwards and onwards, will we be knackered come saturday is my concern, also how disinterested does OTJ look?

yankyhibby
05-08-2014, 09:59 PM
I said beforehand that the manner of any defeat would be of more interest and reveal much, much more. Our boys can hold their heads high, knowing that they performed well and can perhaps count themselves unfortunate to have lost in the way they did. Well done.
Livingston, I suspect, will be a bigger challenge in that they will not give Hibs the space to tip tap around as The Rangers did.

lord bunberry
05-08-2014, 10:04 PM
If we play like we did tonight when we had 11 players we will be challenging at the right end of the league

truehibernian
05-08-2014, 10:07 PM
still lacking a cutting edge, early days though, upwards and onwards, will we be knackered come saturday is my concern, also how disinterested does OTJ look?

Pace - keep banging on and on and on about it. Hibs will not get anywhere threatening unless we add searing pace. We played nice football at times, created chances, but we are in desperate need of players who can inject pace and get in behind a defence. We don't have that.

As for Tudur Jones - totally agree and I think if somone came in or comes in for him before deadline he will be off. I hope so anyway. Offers zilch and is taking a good wage that would be better spent on a far more creative and dynamic player.

DaveF
05-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Pace - keep banging on and on and on about it. Hibs will not get anywhere threatening unless we add searing pace. We played nice football at times, created chances, but we are in desperate need of players who can inject pace and get in behind a defence. We don't have that.

Cummings will give us some of that, but not sure if Stubbs fancies 2 up front.

We are short and if we could find a creative midfielder (maybe Allan is that man) then that would be a big help in supplying the goals we need.

truehibernian
05-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Cummings will give us some of that, but not sure if Stubbs fancies 2 up front.

We are short and if we could find a creative midfielder (maybe Allan is that man) then that would be a big help in supplying the goals we need.

I'd rather see JC central striker feeding off chances created from wide areas by pacy wingers Dave - Hibs have never bought into width these last few years and for me that has been a huge failing and neglecting an area of the pitch that is vital. Strikers are lazy bar stewards and want chances laid on a plate, not going hunting for the ball and wasting energy.

We need speed up front. Look at Aberdeen, Dundee United and 'Well - they score plenty of goals because they have wide players who can take men on and get past them, also getting in behind defenders and full backs. Hibs sadly look pretty but rather one paced over 90 minutes in my view.

The huge positive from tonight was 1) Stubbs sounding disappointed to playing well and losing, in the sense that he wants the win first and foremost.....and 2) he is keen to add two more players.

I personally think we are 4 players short of a very good squad to challenge - this season we will skirt around 3rd or 4th place. Hearts, for me, have the best squad - I know that won't sit well with many but for me it's true. They will beat The Rangers comfortably on Sunday.

DaveF
05-08-2014, 10:28 PM
I'd rather see JC central striker feeding off chances created from wide areas by pacy wingers Dave - Hibs have never bought into width these last few years and for me that has been a huge failing and neglecting an area of the pitch that is vital. Strikers are lazy bar stewards and want chances laid on a plate, not going hunting for the ball and wasting energy.

We need speed up front. Look at Aberdeen, Dundee United and 'Well - they score plenty of goals because they have wide players who can take men on and get past them, also getting in behind defenders and full backs. Hibs sadly look pretty but rather one paced over 90 minutes in my view.

The huge positive from tonight was 1) Stubbs sounding disappointed to playing well and losing, in the sense that he wants the win first and foremost.....and 2) he is keen to add two more players.

I personally think we are 4 players short of a very good squad to challenge - this season we will skirt around 3rd or 4th place. Hearts, for me, have the best squad - I know that won't sit well with many but for me it's true. They will beat The Rangers comfortably on Sunday.

Great post TH and you are spot on re wingers and our lack of. Even Hearts do better in that area with the likes of Templeton, Walker, Suso :greengrin

Hopefully Stubbs can find one or two before Deadline day.

Jonnyboy
05-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Great post TH and you are spot on re wingers and our lack of. Even Hearts do better in that area with the likes of Templeton, Walker, Suso :greengrin

Hopefully Stubbs can find one or two before Deadline day.

Thought Harris did ok tonight but wish he'd run at defenders like Templeton did :agree:

Gordy M
05-08-2014, 10:35 PM

Agree with some of what you say, the bit about more pace would be a must for me, but i think if harris can regain some form then he can provide some width. I disagree that hearts have the strongest squad, the rangers do. The problem they have is mccoist who their own terry butcher, he is the leveller. Decent manager in charge of them and they would win the league. Hearts have a worse squad than last year imo, however there seems to be a wave of sympathy/optimism towards them, which i dont understand? They have done nothing at all to show that they are better than us. I certainly wouldnt swap any of their players for ours? Would you?

Ross89
05-08-2014, 10:42 PM
Thought Harris did ok tonight but wish he'd run at defenders like Templeton did :agree:

Totally agree :top marks

Unseen work
05-08-2014, 10:57 PM
Think we need another central midfielder who can dictate the game and influence it. Don't think Craig and Robertson is a great pairing tbh. Would quite like to see Allan replace Robertson in centre mid

truehibernian
05-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Agree with some of what you say, the bit about more pace would be a must for me, but i think if harris can regain some form then he can provide some width. I disagree that hearts have the strongest squad, the rangers do. The problem they have is mccoist who their own terry butcher, he is the leveller. Decent manager in charge of them and they would win the league. Hearts have a worse squad than last year imo, however there seems to be a wave of sympathy/optimism towards them, which i dont understand? They have done nothing at all to show that they are better than us. I certainly wouldnt swap any of their players for ours? Would you?

Yes, I would - I'd happily have Jamie Walker, Patterson and little Gomis. And Sam Nicolson as he will be a very good player for them this season now he has games and goals under his belt.

Hearts, as Craig Paterson rightly said, now have to prove they can win games when every one matters. They won games at the latter stages last season when the pressure was off and other sides were cutting throats - they played with a freedom. They have a bit of pace about them, and they always retain an arrogance. Levein will add to that arrogance because that is the nature of the man also. They certainly don't have a worse squad than last year in my view - that is what makes it more irritating that they won games easily v ourselves.

You are right about The Rangers though - their support are divided and many don't like or rate McCoist as manager. That makes Ibrox an easier place to play them. That's why we must get behind Hibs at Easter Road this year and not be so quick to turn on the guys - positivity from the stands will reflect on the pitch and vice versa.

Depending on the couple of players Stubbs alludes to, I'll still say we will play decent football but end up 3rd/4th, behind The Rangers, Hearts and Falkirk and get into the play offs. It'll be a season of weird and wonderful results though. I'm looking forward to it.

southern hibby
06-08-2014, 05:26 AM
If we play like we did tonight when we had 11 players we will be challenging at the right end of the league

I would love to agree but I think we will struggle with our squad when suspensions and injuries kick I'n. For me we have no depth I'n the squad and to be challenging at the end of the season that needs to be addressed, especially with another striker, fast winger and another creative midfield player. GGTTH

weecounty hibby
06-08-2014, 05:28 AM
Why do people think that we will end up behind Falkirk? Rangers and them i can kind of understand but where is the thinking behind Falkirk. They are a 1st div club who will at best be the best of the rest. They will finish well behind the top 3. They were behind Dundee and Hamilton last year remember and then got well beaten in the playoffs

southsider
06-08-2014, 05:42 AM
Thought we did ok. Missed 3 great chances at 1-1. Did not take them and once ref took a hand we were in trouble. Robertson sold the goal by failing to go wholehartitedly into his challenge. Pacy forward please Mr Stubbs.

MrRobot
06-08-2014, 07:30 AM
We looked very comfortable on the ball last night with some good passing, just need to find that final ball. Promising that we have a striker getting on the end of things, just need to keep his headers down :greengrin

Biggest positive for me was Harris. For the first time since his injury, I saw him lose the ball, sprint back and win it back. Looks like his confidence is getting better. Really hope he continues on from this performance. Not the best but a massive step forward.

Was very impressed with David Grays link up play and overlapping aswell.

brog
06-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Thought we did ok. Missed 3 great chances at 1-1. Did not take them and once ref took a hand we were in trouble. Robertson sold the goal by failing to go wholehartitedly into his challenge. Pacy forward please Mr Stubbs.

TBF to Robertson it's pretty hard to do anything when you're hit by cramp. He was a tad unlucky that the ball broke straight to an opponent. FWIW I think OTJ is one of the poorest players I've seen at ER but I thought he did ok in his brief appearance last night.

MrRobot
06-08-2014, 07:50 AM
TBF to Robertson it's pretty hard to do anything when you're hit by cramp. He was a tad unlucky that the ball broke straight to an opponent. FWIW I think OTJ is one of the poorest players I've seen at ER but I thought he did ok in his brief appearance last night.

TBH, I don't think OTJ has had a fair shot at all. He's played bit part since he came and struggled with injuries. It's a fresh for everybody, he has to be given a chance.

hibspayne
06-08-2014, 07:51 AM
The

Woke up this morning, and for the first time in a while was proud in our performance. Red card aside (very harsh decision), I thought Handling was excellent, Harris put a shift in, he does need to take on the full backs but looking good.

Craig and Robertson looked like new players, Stevenson played some really nice stuff, in fact all four at the back kept looking up and playing the ball. Night and Day from last season.

Stanton missed some chances but he wanted the ball, he tried stuff. El Aguia (however you spell it) looked shattered after 60 minutes however he won headers, and I lost count of how many times he won a header and directed it at a Hibs player not a pointless flick on :)

Liked Stubbs interview after the game, Fans were emense as always :) Final point, we lost a goal last season heads down ball punted, yesterday we lost a goal, we played football :)

Lots to look forward too, lots of work to be done but I for one feel the Sun will be shining on Leith again week in, week out

:flag:

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2014, 07:59 AM
The best thing for me was our ability to pass the ball to each other, and for them to actually want it under pressure and keep the ball when under pressure, and retain possession for good periods of time.

Night and day. :top marks

HibbySpurs
06-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Wasnt at the game but watched it on ALBA.

Thought we were the better team and at no point was I concerned that Rangers would go onto win the game until we were (harshly, typical Ibrox decision) reduced to 10 men. Was a yellow but never a red.

We passed better than them, kept the ball well, defended well (mostly) and looked to create chances with players taking shots from range. We should have been in front when El Alagui should have wrapped his foot round the ball from 12 yards out but could only put it over and he should have done better with the header as well. The positive from that though is that he was getting into the right position to recieve the ball in very dangerous positions, on another day both would have hit the back of the net.

When you consider that the Hibs squad was ripped apart not 3 months ago and then the manager was sacked we've been miles behind the curve in terms of preperation apparently. Last night we ran the supposed favourites for the title ragged and our team still needs time to get it together and a couple of more signings wouldnt go amiss either to bolster what we already have.

Quietly confident about the season ahead after last night and if I was a Rangers fan (or worse a yam) I'd be more than a little nervous about their chances after that performance.

GGTTH..... We've played our one and only ever game in that joke of a cup, I'm not at all dissapointed we're out as we have far bigger fish to fry IMO.

Hibs7
06-08-2014, 08:16 AM
As I said after the training session " they couldn't hit a barn door " and so it was proved last night, clear cut chances missed.. We cannot afford to do that but apart from that and OTJ I thought Hibs were the better team, a win on Saturday and Hearts beating the Rangers ( which I think they will ) gives is a 3 point start on them ..

MrRobot
06-08-2014, 08:32 AM
As I said after the training session " they couldn't hit a barn door " and so it was proved last night, clear cut chances missed.. We cannot afford to do that but apart from that and OTJ I thought Hibs were the better team, a win on Saturday and Hearts beating the Rangers ( which I think they will ) gives is a 3 point start on them ..

How long was he on and what exactly did he do wrong?

jdships
06-08-2014, 08:45 AM
The best thing for me was our ability to pass the ball to each other, and for them to actually want it under pressure and keep the ball when under pressure, and retain possession for good periods of time.

Go along with that 100% !!
Was impressed with the commitment and the the concentration ( odd lapses !!) and felt we had a better balanced side than THE Rangers
Quite pleased even with a loss !!

leggeto
06-08-2014, 09:02 AM

Good summary,thought we were the better team and passed it better than them with 10 men,we will be challenging up the top if we play like that

Diclonius
06-08-2014, 09:41 AM
We battered Rangers last night but couldn't make the most of our chances. Sound familiar?

I was very impressed with our play but we NEED another striker. Just one is not going to cut it. We need someone who provides the link between midfield and attack cause if we put all the expectation on El Alagui's shoulders then I really fear he'll become our next scapegoat.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2014, 10:02 AM
We battered Rangers last night but couldn't make the most of our chances. Sound familiar?

I was very impressed with our play but we NEED another striker. Just one is not going to cut it. We need someone who provides the link between midfield and attack cause if we put all the expectation on El Alagui's shoulders then I really fear he'll become our next scapegoat.

No, when did we last do that? :confused:

JimBHibees
06-08-2014, 10:05 AM

Disagree one striker does cut it if he is able to link and hold the ball up for the 3 runners supporting him which happened last night. Stanton should have scored as so should have Farid also.

greenlex
06-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Extremely harsh. He was suffering from cramp.

SanFranHibs
06-08-2014, 11:07 AM
Extremely harsh. He was suffering from cramp.

I was shouting at the tv 'Go down...go down'. Not his fault but should have had the presence of mind to go down and that is on the assumption that his cramp was that severe. You notice the Rangers player later on had no problem dropping down when he cramped up.

Still, can't hang the man for trying to play through it.

Cocohibby
06-08-2014, 12:00 PM
I am encouraged by the performance last night. There is a clear desire to play football, a marked change from last year. Disappointing that we didn't go on to win - sending off was a naughty foul, but not red material imo and we still played when down to 10. Thought the fans were immense throughout the 120 minutes.

Don't like losing, but the silver lining is we wont have the distraction of this competition during the league campaign - a blessing in disguise.

Would like to see a couple more creative players in the team, but I saw enough last night to think that we are going to see some good stuff this year.

:flag::gwa:

SanFranHibs
06-08-2014, 12:12 PM
I am encouraged by the performance last night. There is a clear desire to play football, a marked change from last year. Disappointing that we didn't go on to win - sending off was a naughty foul, but not red material imo and we still played when down to 10. Thought the fans were immense throughout the 120 minutes.

Don't like losing, but the silver lining is we wont have the distraction of this competition during the league campaign - a blessing in disguise.

Would like to see a couple more creative players in the team, but I saw enough last night to think that we are going to see some good stuff this year.

:flag::gwa:

Except, if the cup is deemed worthy the more games our first team play together the better they will become. Plus the more this team wins in any competition then the more confidence will grow. However, it also would have allowed Stubbs to use it to get players match fit for the League campaign or put in more youngsters to give them a run out.

But we're out. And you are right in a way...the real stuff starts on Saturday.

I know...I seem to be backtracking but as Richard Brier's said 'It's the principle of shifting principles :wink:.

Cocohibby
06-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Except, if the cup is deemed worthy the more games our first team play together the better they will become. Plus the more this team wins in any competition then the more confidence will grow. However, it also would have allowed Stubbs to use it to get players match fit for the League campaign or put in more youngsters to give them a run out.

But we're out. And you are right in a way...the real stuff starts on Saturday.

I know...I seem to be backtracking but as Richard Brier's said 'It's the principle of shifting principles :wink:.

You make a fair point, but 3 cup competitions is too many imo, especially as we'll find ourselves playing earlier rounds of the League and Scottish Cups this year - too much risk of suspensions and injuries for a cup that, if I'm honest and no disrespect to the teams involved, I couldn't care less about.

Expecting Rain
06-08-2014, 01:04 PM
We need players that are superior to Stevenson, Craig and Robertson, they are good enough as squad players and that is over watching them over a period of time. Agree with TH, pace, energy and creativity are essential.