PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's Referee John Beaton

Scottie
05-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Got to have a chuckle at the ref's performance tonight I though most if not all his key decisions were shocking.

The standard of refereeing in this country is laughable

John Beaton you are a credit to your profession. Take a boo son. :rolleyes:

Aaron
05-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Got to have a chuckle at the ref's performance tonight I though most if not all his key decisions were shocking.

The standard of refereeing in this country is laughable

John Beaton you are a credit to your profession. Take a boo son. :rolleyes:

What a rough lot we are:

Hibs yellow: 5
Hibs red: 1
The Rangers yellow: 2

Devonhibs
05-08-2014, 09:27 PM
What a rough lot we are:

It wasn't a dirty game either!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigwheel
05-08-2014, 09:39 PM
It wasn't until tonight that I thought "are we actually going to get second tier refs this season ?" How frightening a thought is that...

mca
05-08-2014, 09:42 PM
That's the membership for the Masons - aw paid up.. :wink:

JimBHibees
05-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Quite simply the worst decision I have ever seen. I don't think he even seen the tackle as he had his back to it.

Scottie
05-08-2014, 09:47 PM
It wasn't until tonight that I thought "are we actually going to get second tier refs this season ?" How frightening a thought is that...

:agree: That's the scary part

:greengrin He's keep a lot of the LOYAL PEOPLE happy tonight

iwasthere1972
05-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Wouldn't have surprised me if he plucked a flute from his back pocket instead of a red card.

No way was that a red card.

Lucius Apuleius
05-08-2014, 09:50 PM

Cannae pay it aw up any mair. ;-)

mca
05-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Cannae pay it aw up any mair. ;-)

How noo.. de ye huy ta pay it aw in the wanir noo ???

Bobby's Cinema
05-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Wouldn't have surprised me if he plucked a flute from his back pocket instead of a red card.

No way was that a red card.
:hilarious:hilarious

Argylehibby
05-08-2014, 09:56 PM
worst tackle of the night was the one just on half time that saw Grey being helped off and we didn't even get a free kick.

OsloHibs
06-08-2014, 12:57 AM
Can we appeal? Shocking red card.

matty_f
06-08-2014, 01:10 AM
He certainly did his best for them.

weecounty hibby
06-08-2014, 05:38 AM
The first in a long line of helping hands for them this season i suspect.

Waxy
06-08-2014, 05:43 AM
You have to wonder. Is there a kind of referee base in scottish football? Some kind of lodge they all get taught how to referee Scottish games? That was so blatent last night there should be a criminal investigation.

Flanny boy
06-08-2014, 05:43 AM
The first in a long line of helping hands for them this season i suspect.
:agree::agree::agree:

andyf5
06-08-2014, 06:18 AM
I didn't think the referee was biased - quite a few decisions went against Rangers and he disallowed Boyds goal. I was unhappy with some of his decisions tho and think for a game changing red you have to be very sure.

Onion
06-08-2014, 06:30 AM
I didn't think the referee was biased - quite a few decisions went against Rangers and he disallowed Boyds goal. I was unhappy with some of his decisions tho and think for a game changing red you have to be very sure.

Never a red card. Went for the ball, wasn't high, wasn't dangerous, didn't show studs. Just a typical young striker's tackle. Awful, game-changing decision at Ibrox :)

KeithTheHibby
06-08-2014, 06:56 AM
We would have won the game if that clown hadn't sent off Handling. Never a red card in a million years.

brog
06-08-2014, 07:02 AM
I haven't seen it again but my first impression was Beaton had, as only Scottish refs seem to do, reacted far too quickly without giving the decision any real thought. As usual it appeared he couldn't wait to get the red card out. A shame because after the New Year game I thought we may finally have a decent ref in Scotland.

down-the-slope
06-08-2014, 07:06 AM
as it was a straight red - i hope we appeal (particularly if its cited by ref as dangerous play) - contacts ball, foot on / near ground etc...and while refs often cop out by claiming 'intent' ...... just don't see it - DH not that type anyway

Turkish Green
06-08-2014, 07:14 AM
I do not go along with this Rangers favouritism from so called 'flute playing' officials. It was a very silly tackle by a young forward. It was definitely a yellow card but should not have been a straight red. However Hibs getting 5 yellow cards to Rangers' 1 was always going to make the Hibs' players wary of overstepping the mark. And I did not feel it was that dirty a game.

It will be interesting to see how Craig Thomson handles the huns v yams game on Sunday. Will he be in a quandary?

DaveF
06-08-2014, 07:20 AM
I've always thought Beaton was a decent referee but his failure to book McCulloch for launching the ball into the stands at a Hibs thrown in and then the red card were absolute howlers.

Ahh, it's good to have the football back.

RIP
06-08-2014, 07:24 AM
Three off the ball attacks by Black

Lucius Apuleius
06-08-2014, 07:39 AM
How noo.. de ye huy ta pay it aw in the wanir noo ???

:-) Nut. The highheid yins stopped aw that.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2014, 07:45 AM
Last night decision was a shocker, but its something i feel will carry on all season.

Maybe its a case of paranoia, but the feeling is that Scotland needs The Rangers in the top league, and they do have a real challenge it would appear its not 100% certain they will go up.

The cheats in black will make sure they do. :rolleyes:

Lucius Apuleius
06-08-2014, 07:47 AM
Just coz you are paranoid doesn't mean you are wrong. I can assure you all though, it is NOT a Masonic conspiracy. :-)

The Harp Awakes
06-08-2014, 08:07 AM
Last night decision was a shocker, but its something i feel will carry on all season.

Maybe its a case of paranoia, but the feeling is that Scotland needs The Rangers in the top league, and they do have a real challenge it would appear its not 100% certain they will go up.

Yep, pretty much the way I see it. The game was drifting away from Rangers last night and the ref decided to give them a helping hand - no doubt about it. This cheating has been going on for years and it certainly isn't going to stop now when most in Scottish football are desperate for Rangers to get promoted.

Bishop Hibee
06-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Refereeing policy for this season needs to be made clear. Will they be lenient like in the world cup or continue being strict. Players and fans need to know.

MyJo
06-08-2014, 08:56 AM

If us or hearts do win the league ahead of those mutants expect us to have a 16 team premiership next season with the top 4 from the championship promoted :faf:

JimBHibees
06-08-2014, 08:57 AM

My view also the desperation to get them back in the top league will ensure a season of joke decisions like last night. When Rangers players are admitting it was harsh you know it was a shocker.

JimBHibees
06-08-2014, 08:59 AM
I haven't seen it again but my first impression was Beaton had, as only Scottish refs seem to do, reacted far too quickly without giving the decision any real thought. As usual it appeared he couldn't wait to get the red card out. A shame because after the New Year game I thought we may finally have a decent ref in Scotland.

He wasnt the ref in the new year game it was Madden.

leggeto
06-08-2014, 08:59 AM
If it was ian black who done that foul would he have walked,I don't think so

JimBHibees
06-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Refereeing policy for this season needs to be made clear. Will they be lenient like in the world cup or continue being strict. Players and fans need to know.

The policy was clear they were lenient for Rangers when McCulloch should have been carded for punting the ball away and strict on Hibs when a nothing tackle was given a red. :wink:

Paisley Hibby
06-08-2014, 09:07 AM
I do not go along with this Rangers favouritism from so called 'flute playing' officials. It was a very silly tackle by a young forward. It was definitely a yellow card but should not have been a straight red. However Hibs getting 5 yellow cards to Rangers' 1 was always going to make the Hibs' players wary of overstepping the mark. And I did not feel it was that dirty a game.

It will be interesting to see how Craig Thomson handles the huns v yams game on Sunday. Will he be in a quandary?

Don't see why he'll be in a quandary. Isn't it a Hibs Net FACT that he's a cheating dyed in the wool yam? :wink:

brog
06-08-2014, 09:34 AM
He wasnt the ref in the new year game it was Madden.

That would explain it then! :wink: I did see him have a decent game reffing us last season though, mind you I can't remember what I had for my dinner!

J-C
06-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Shocking ref, couldn't wait to get the cards out for us and let them away with umpteen fouls against us, totally biased performance, another season where we're gonna struggle at Ibrox due to officials.

marti1875
06-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Is there any highlights of the game at all? At the time i thought it was NEVER a red card and on seeing the replay i still thought the same as his leg came in from the side, studs were not up at all and made contact with the ball and it clearly showed that.......

....now i see someone on here and a couple on Facebook saying it was def a red and just a stupid silly tackle etc :confused:

I'd like to see it again, especially as i was not under the influence of any alcohol whatsoever and i thought no way was it ever a red...:confused:

JimBHibees
06-08-2014, 09:49 AM
That would explain it then! :wink: I did see him have a decent game reffing us last season though, mind you I can't remember what I had for my dinner!

LOL can relate to that. Criminally poor decision and pretty sure he was the ref that gave them the hugely debatable equalizer v Albion Rovers in the cup last year. The apparent lack of integrity or bottle at the top ref level in Scotland really is shocking though not that surprising when Thomson is considered the best ref and the role model.

JimBHibees
06-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Is there any highlights of the game at all? At the time i thought it was NEVER a red card and on seeing the replay i still thought the same as his leg came in from the side, studs were not up at all and made contact with the ball and it clearly showed that.......

....now i see someone on here and a couple on Facebook saying it was def a red and just a stupid silly tackle etc :confused:

I'd like to see it again, especially as i was not under the influence of any alcohol whatsoever and i thought no way was it ever a red...:confused:

Never a red in a million years, barely a foul and would have been a harsh yellow. Also think the ref didnt see it properly as he had his back to most of it so how he can get the red out is staggering.

Smartie
06-08-2014, 09:53 AM
I don't think Hibs are always streetwise when it comes to refs.

Danny gave him an opportunity to send him off. Whilst imo it was never a red card it was a clumsy, silly tackle from behind at a critical point in the match. He gave him an opportunity to send him off and he did. The ref was way too quick to send him off, went straight for the card when he should have whistled, bought himself a bit of time then made his decision but if Danny hadn't made the challenge then he wouldn't have had the chance to send him off.

I don't think we play Craig Thomson as well as we should either. In "that" game, I think that Ian Black set the tone for the game with the elbow on Griffiths. He was the first to ask the question of the referee, and in a game that size the referee was always going to be lenient early. It settled them and had our backs up and we know what happened from there. I want to see Hibs be the team that asks the questions of the referees in these games a la Murray on Black at Tynecastle that time. How often has Thomson booked Craig? Just about every time, late in the game, for dissent. Our captain spends way too much time running after referees moaning.

Football isn't a sporting game. You seek every advantage you can. You dive, you shout for everything, you put the referee on the spot. It's not nice but it's the way it is. I can tell you I felt much better after the "Matty Jack" game than any of the games we have been done by the referee in recent years and there have been many. I don't for a second believe there is a "vendetta" against us or that refs favour other teams. I just think we could play referees better.

Not a big deal last night imo as there is so much we can take from the game. But I'd love to see us learn from our weaknesses from last night and none more so than Danny's silly tackle.

marti1875
06-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Never a red in a million years, barely a foul and would have been a harsh yellow. Also think the ref didnt see it properly as he had his back to most of it so how he can get the red out is staggering.

Yes, that's exactly my thinking too then on seeing a couple of posts this morning saying it was def a red from Hibs fans, albeit a small minority, had me thinking i was finally losing the plot as they seemed to see it in a completely opposite way...:greengrin

khib70
06-08-2014, 10:16 AM
LOL can relate to that. Criminally poor decision and pretty sure he was the ref that gave them the hugely debatable equalizer v Albion Rovers in the cup last year. The apparent lack of integrity or bottle at the top ref level in Scotland really is shocking though not that surprising when Thomson is considered the best ref and the role model.
:agree:Indeed Beaton was the man that made that utterly ridiculous decision in favour of the Evil Empire in the Albion Rovers game.

busby7062
06-08-2014, 10:16 AM

wait till he gets hold of the hibs

PatHead
06-08-2014, 10:27 AM
What a rough lot we are:

and one of them was for timewasting

Turkish Green
06-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Outside of football Beaton started his career as a journalist before becoming Communications Officer for Strathclyde Police (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strathclyde_Police). He is currently Communications Officer for the University of Strathclyde (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Strathclyde).

Strathclyde Police? Feckwit Bluenose Brines was in the Strathclyde Police.

If you could referee a match between any two teams and at any venue, which teams and where?
It wouldn’t get any better than the Old Firm match at Hampden. It is a fantastic rivalry and refereeing with a full house at the national stadium would be an amazing experience.

The Old Firm, eh? Well that is a surprise.

LeithBoozy
06-08-2014, 10:42 AM
13 fouls from Gers, 18 fouls from Hibs. 2yellows to gers, 5 yellows and 1 red for us ? ???????????????. welcome to non biased referees, ayebrokes style. :confused:

Geo_1875
06-08-2014, 10:56 AM
Robertson got booked for a handball on the halfway line, yet Boyd escapes punishment for his handball on the edge of the penalty area when trying to gain an advantage. Forster and Stevenson are booked for blocking players or pulling them back yet Black escapes punishment for a dangerous lunge into the back of El Alegoui (and numerous other infringements). I notice Black is still a fan of the stamping challenge which is dangerous play every time he does it. I'd also love to see a replay of the offside call on Harris in the first half. He looked well onside to me when the pass was made.

I don't know if the referee is a cheat or incompetent but he is one or the other and as such should be booted out. But he won't be.

SuperAllyMcleod
06-08-2014, 01:09 PM
I've always thought Beaton was a decent referee but his failure to book McCulloch for launching the ball into the stands at a Hibs thrown in and then the red card were absolute howlers.

Ahh, it's good to have the football back.

I can never understand why refs give players a warning for that - McCulloch in particular has been playing professional football for over 15 years, unless he has the attention span of a goldfish then he knows that is a booking and should not need a warning.

Inconsistency!!! It's the most frustrating thing about referees. :fuming:

Turkish Green
06-08-2014, 01:21 PM
13 fouls from Gers, 18 fouls from Hibs. 2yellows to gers, 5 yellows and 1 red for us ? ???????????????. welcome to non biased referees, ayebrokes style. :confused:

Stats do not show everything. A referee can be seen to be unbiased by awarding a similar amount of fouls to either team, But in reality he awards them to one team in non-dangerous positions: in their own half, out wide, etc. while to the other team he awards the fouls in dangerous positions: in opposition half, in middle of field, in front of goal, etc. Ian Brines was a master of this.

Nutmegged
06-08-2014, 01:32 PM

He didn't "Disallow" Boyd's goal, thats disingenuous mate, he blew for a handball well before Boyd turned and shot, the game had stopped well before Boyd had a shot let alone scored a goal

07BigD
06-08-2014, 02:01 PM
I'll tell you one thing though, he had to bend at the waist to try and hide his stiffy as he pulled the red out, tv replays will clarify this I am sure

NAE NOOKIE
06-08-2014, 03:04 PM

Danny gave him an opportunity to send him off. Whilst imo it was never a red card it was a clumsy, silly tackle from behind at a critical point in the match. He gave him an opportunity to send him off and he did. The ref was way too quick to send him off, went straight for the card when he should have whistled, bought himself a bit of time then made his decision but if Danny hadn't made the challenge then he wouldn't have had the chance to send him off.

I don't think we play Craig Thomson as well as we should either. In "that" game, I think that Ian Black set the tone for the game with the elbow on Griffiths. He was the first to ask the question of the referee, and in a game that size the referee was always going to be lenient early. It settled them and had our backs up and we know what happened from there. I want to see Hibs be the team that asks the questions of the referees in these games a la Murray on Black at Tynecastle that time. How often has Thomson booked Craig? Just about every time, late in the game, for dissent. Our captain spends way too much time running after referees moaning.

Football isn't a sporting game. You seek every advantage you can. You dive, you shout for everything, you put the referee on the spot. It's not nice but it's the way it is. I can tell you I felt much better after the "Matty Jack" game than any of the games we have been done by the referee in recent years and there have been many. I don't for a second believe there is a "vendetta" against us or that refs favour other teams. I just think we could play referees better.

Not a big deal last night imo as there is so much we can take from the game. But I'd love to see us learn from our weaknesses from last night and none more so than Danny's silly tackle.

A player cant 'not' tackle in case the ref is looking to send someone off. Templeton had already beaten 2 or 3 players and looked like he might create something, Handling made his tackle from a poor position leading to him getting it wrong, in that sense it was a silly tackle, his mindset that he needed to make it certainly wasn't. Whatever the situation the tackle was neither deliberately dangerous, nor was it reckless. A booking? probably ..... a straight red sending off? never in a million years.

The ref chose to let go a The Rangers player kicking a dead ball into the stand to prevent Hibs taking a quick throw in .... a no brainer booking in any match. Even in the World Cup just finished where the common sense applied by most refs was refreshing that would have earned a yellow card. Is it any wonder then that there are accusations of bias.

There are situations in games where a ref who has hastily or erroneously sent a player off will indeed take any opportunity to even up his mistake ... we have all seen it happen and players know they need to be careful in these situations. But what we are talking about here is players having to avoid tackles because of the club they are playing against. I don't want the club I follow failing to fully participate in a match because the ref is a coward or a cheat, no matter how pragmatic it might be ............... screw that !!!

Better to lose playing properly than to pander to cheats and cowards.

GreenLake
06-08-2014, 03:20 PM

I'm not quite sure how delivering an elbow to a head is a tactical masterstroke whereas attempting to poke the ball away from a player's feet is a critical blunder.

Smartie
06-08-2014, 03:20 PM
A player cant 'not' tackle in case the ref is looking to send someone off. Templeton had already beaten 2 or 3 players and looked like he might create something, Handling made his tackle from a poor position leading to him getting it wrong, in that sense it was a silly tackle, his mindset that he needed to make it certainly wasn't. Whatever the situation the tackle was neither deliberately dangerous, nor was it reckless. A booking? probably ..... a straight red sending off? never in a million years.

The ref chose to let go a The Rangers player kicking a dead ball into the stand to prevent Hibs taking a quick throw in .... a no brainer booking in any match. Even in the World Cup just finished where the common sense applied by most refs was refreshing that would have earned a yellow card. Is it any wonder then that there are accusations of bias.

There are situations in games where a ref who has hastily or erroneously sent a player off will indeed take any opportunity to even up his mistake ... we have all seen it happen and players know they need to be careful in these situations. But what we are talking about here is players having to avoid tackles because of the club they are playing against. I don't want the club I follow failing to fully participate in a match because the ref is a coward or a cheat, no matter how pragmatic it might be ............... screw that !!!

Better to lose playing properly than to pander to cheats and cowards.

I think there's a time to attempt that tackle and a time not to attempt that tackle.

A tackle from behind, just inside your own half with plenty people back behind you, at Ibrox - where refs have been known to be more symapthetic to the home team, at 1-1 about 10 minutes fom the end of a cup tie that your team has played well in and you have individually played well in - this is not that time.

There will be times over the course of this season where it will be worth making the same tackle.

Smartie
06-08-2014, 03:30 PM
I'm not quite sure how delivering an elbow to a head is a tactical masterstroke whereas attempting to poke the ball away from a player's feet is a critical blunder.

I'm just trying to make a point that sometimes you should change the way you play/behave to suit a particular situation or stage in a game. I think we need to ask more questions of referees early in games and stop giving them opportunities to make calls like he did last night late in games.

I'm sick of us always being the victims of these decisions and wonder if we could do more to influence things our way rather than let it happen again and again then just moan about it.

GreenLake
06-08-2014, 04:21 PM
I'm just trying to make a point that sometimes you should change the way you play/behave to suit a particular situation or stage in a game. I think we need to ask more questions of referees early in games and stop giving them opportunities to make calls like he did last night late in games.

I'm sick of us always being the victims of these decisions and wonder if we could do more to influence things our way rather than let it happen again and again then just moan about it.

I see your point but if Griffiths had elbowed Black he would have been sent off and if Templeton had of tackled Handling like that he would have had a finger wag. Our ability to influence things our way with referees is limited to being superior at football and walking on eggshells with our challenges for the ball. Apart from Handling's one mistake we made an admirable attempt considering the odds stacked against us in default mode. Hopefully we can sign a couple more players and put a cutting edge to the excellent possession.

lucky
06-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Never a red card, but is there any need for the sectarian comments about the ref? Can't we leave that sort of comments to our opponents?

emerald green
06-08-2014, 04:54 PM
These game changing decisions have been going against Hibs, especially when they play the Ibrox club for as far back as anyone can remember. Even more especially when the Ibrox club are needing a goal or a penalty, and/or look like they may be about to lose the match.

It has been going on for decades, and although I wasn't at the match (stopped going to Ibrox years ago) when I heard about it my heart sank with that same old familiar feeling of having been cheated again. Mind you, I got the impression the game should have been won before the ordering off.

I don't see it ever changing in this country. There is an undoubted institutional bias in favour of The Rangers, or whatever they call themselves these days.

Northernhibee
06-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Same ref that allowed Moshmi's assault on the Albion Rovers keeper last season.

06-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Referee helping out the huns at Ibrox - same old same old i'm afraid!

snooky
06-08-2014, 06:17 PM

So, we thought refs were bias before? Sit back and enjoy the 2014/15 show.
Put your money on the Huns winning the league. Their roots have a strong grip in all areas of the Scottish football officialdom.
The Andy Davies affair showed just how far the match officials are allowed to go to ensure a Rangers win.
I've always felt that this sort of consistent official skullduggery would stop me going to football for good.
Mr Beaton has made a good start in confirming my suspicions that nothing has changed, (or ever will).
Alas, this season could well be my swan song.

Carheenlea
06-08-2014, 09:12 PM
It wouldn't be quite so bad if referee's decision making was consistent.

brog
06-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Great post & great pics. You know the thing is in this social media age we have far more chance of changing things than we ever did before. I remember Oldco scoring against us in semi final in 1958, "goal " was disallowed because Ralph Brand clearly punched ball in net. Story was that Lino who flagged never officiated again. Let's do everything in our power to identify & highlight these abuses.

JimBHibees
07-08-2014, 07:52 AM

Just looking at the Handling picture in what way does that merit a red card. He clearly won the ball though did make contact in his follow through which probably was a foul and harshly could have been seen as a yellow. In the way the game was previously reffed though when similar fouls not a yellow and McCulloch being let off with the most obvious yellow of the game the decision was totally out of context with the rest of the game.

madsen5
07-08-2014, 08:15 AM
Is that the same masons the Famous Five were all members of ? :thumbsup::wink:

Lucius Apuleius
07-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Is that the same masons the Famous Five were all members of ? :thumbsup::wink:

And not just the Famous Five.

CropleyisGod
07-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Just looking at the Handling picture in what way does that merit a red card. He clearly won the ball though did make contact in his follow through which probably was a foul and harshly could have been seen as a yellow. In the way the game was previously reffed though when similar fouls not a yellow and McCulloch being let off with the most obvious yellow of the game the decision was totally out of context with the rest of the game.

From his SFA profile:

"Who is the best player you have been on the pitch with?
I was fourth official when Manchester City played Rangers at Ibrox just after they started to splash out on the big signings. Robinho and Adebayor played up front. The two players that really stand out for me domestically are David Templeton and Gary Mackay-Steven. Their pace and ball control are a joy to watch and you really get an appreciation of how quick and skilful they are when you are on the pitch with them"

Apologies if already posted.

Scottie
13-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Now can anyone tell me this week if the man is incompetent or just a plain cheat.

Last week a helping hand for the rangers and a Hibs sending off and this week a helping hand for the smeltic and a St J sending off

Stonewall pen for St J denied and surprise surprise a shocking decision to award a Celtic penalty.

Hidden agenda or the same old same old ? Oh and he's getting £840 for his performance tonight btw.

Hero76
13-08-2014, 08:27 PM
He's a ******g shambles should be ashamed of himself.

The_Exile
13-08-2014, 08:41 PM
I think he's just incompetent, Celtic don't actually need any help winning the league. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the pen as the St J player might have been blocking his vision, but the linesman should've spotted that dive. It was actually comical how ridiculous it was.

Smiggy 7-0
13-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Blatant dive, should have been booked.

Callum_62
14-08-2014, 12:28 AM
Just seen the highlights at my work here in NZ

The wonders of working in a TV station

Incredible decisions really

http://www.3news.co.nz/All-goals-3-0-Celtic-beat-St-Johnstone/tabid/415/articleID/356816/Default.aspx

easty
14-08-2014, 06:44 AM
Blatant dive, should have been booked.

That was a disgrace.

Not so sure he got the St Johnstone pen wrong though. McKay is definitely clipped but it's not enough to put him down. He knew it too, that's why there was the wee delay before he collapsed himself.

Thecat23
14-08-2014, 08:04 AM
Just watched it, possibly one of the worst dives I've seen and even worse decision. Surely they will appeal that red and also he should be done for diving?

Billy Whizz
14-08-2014, 08:12 AM
Just watched it, possibly one of the worst dives I've seen and even worse decision. Surely they will appeal that red and also he should be done for diving?

I agree, one for the new compliance officer

Weststandwanab
14-08-2014, 08:14 AM
An appalling excuse for a dive !

Arch Stanton
14-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Tackle from behind for the first goal:confused:

Kato
14-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Tackle from behind for the first goal:confused:

Is there any difference between Handling's tackle last week and that one? All I can think off is that Handling's was more side-on when he got the ball.

emerald green
14-08-2014, 09:14 AM
Same old usual I'm afraid. There will now be a queue of pundits, and others, clamouring to defend the indefensible with all sorts of excuses.

The favourite one being to accuse anyone who questions these appalling decisions as being paranoid.

The_Exile
14-08-2014, 09:41 AM
Andy Walkers commentary on it was hilarious, me and the missus kept rewinding it to listen to it again and again, how you could jusity that dive is just beyond madness :faf:

--------
14-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Now can anyone tell me this week if the man is incompetent or just a plain cheat.

Last week a helping hand for the rangers and a Hibs sending off and this week a helping hand for the smeltic and a St J sending off

Stonewall pen for St J denied and surprise surprise a shocking decision to award a Celtic penalty.

Hidden agenda or the same old same old ? Oh and he's getting £840 for his performance tonight btw.

Surely he got more than £840? No bonus from the bosses?

John Beaton - the Old Firm's Darling, the Best Referee Money Can Buy. :agree:

cleanyman
14-08-2014, 09:59 AM
This guy is a FIFA referee.

Not good enough so far this season.

Bill Milne
14-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Is there any difference between Handling's tackle last week and that one? All I can think off is that Handling's was more side-on when he got the ball.

The tackle from Commons was, virtually, identical to Handling's at Ibrox. The only difference was the strips either player was wearing. In addition, the penalty was a disgraceful dive as the Sellik player didn't even begin to go down until a couple of seconds after a very soft challenge had been made. Seems like Beaton is desperate to land a final this season, frankly, by giving the Old Firm any decision it takes to help them win.

GreenLake
14-08-2014, 11:58 AM
This guy is a FIFA referee.

Not good enough so far this season.

F...... Idiot and F...... Assh...

The first goal was a tackle from behind worse than Handling's. A clear penalty denied to STJ. A clear dive gets a penalty for Celtic.

He should resign after watching the replays.

Carheenlea
14-08-2014, 04:12 PM
This referee is obviously a poor one, but the Celtic player who dived is a bigger culprit than an incompetent referee. To be fair to him he was right not to award St Johnstone a penalty for their lame claim.
The only way we are going to start to stamp out cheats in the game like that Celtic boy is to start issuing bans in terms of months rather than games. Automatic two month ban for diving would be a good start.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-08-2014, 04:38 PM

I was in The Diggers last night and there was a palpable chuckle when the penalty was given, it was even louder after the incident was replayed.

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm convinced there is a corrupt few who are officials in the Scottish game, there's not a cat in hells chance they could get that far in the game by being so poor.

Slim Shady
14-08-2014, 05:22 PM
This referee is obviously a poor one, but the Celtic player who dived is a bigger culprit than an incompetent referee. To be fair to him he was right not to award St Johnstone a penalty for their lame claim.
The only way we are going to start to stamp out cheats in the game like that Celtic boy is to start issuing bans in terms of months rather than games. Automatic two month ban for diving would be a good start.

Really!!!

Shows how people view things differently as I thought it was a pen.

JimBHibees
14-08-2014, 07:41 PM
I'm convinced there is a corrupt few who are officials in the Scottish game, there's not a cat in hells chance they could get that far in the game by being so poor.

Tend to agree really strange also that decent IMO refs like Calum Murray seems to have been sidelined while other much poorer refs get the big games. Seems like a preferred clique who are able to make any number of poor decisions with impunity while others get hammered.

Also think if Beaton had made the same 2 decisions he had given the last week the other way round he would be getting prepared for the Elgin Berwick game at the weekend.

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Tend to agree really strange also that decent IMO refs like Calum Murray seems to have been sidelined while other much poorer refs get the big games. Seems like a preferred clique who are able to make any number of poor decisions with impunity while others get hammered.

Also think if Beaton had made the same 2 decisions he had given the last week the other way round he would be getting prepared for the Elgin Berwick game at the weekend.

:agree: I'm sick to the back teeth of these referee's blatantly favouring the old firm and the gimps, its got to the stage where they don't even try and hide it now.

LeithBoozy
15-08-2014, 12:06 PM
:agree: I'm sick to the back teeth of these referee's blatantly favouring the old firm and the gimps, its got to the stage where they don't even try and hide it now.

TV coverage is their worst nightmare Blackpoolhibs, they were even more biased back in the day mate. :rolleyes:

Radium
15-08-2014, 02:52 PM
http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2566&newsCategoryID=1&newsID=13600

Two match ban offered

Radium
15-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Notice of Complaint issued - Derk Boerrigter

Friday, 15 August 2014

The Compliance Officer has issued the following notice of complaint:

Alleged Party in Breach: Derk Boerrigter (Celtic FC)
Match: St Johnstone v Celtic, SPFL Premiership, 13th August 2014.
Disciplinary Rule(s) allegedly breached:
Rule 201: Causing a match official to make an incorrect decision by committing an act of simulation.
Fixed suspension offer: Two matches
Principle Hearing Date: Thursday 21st August 2014. Mr Boerrigter has until Monday at 3pm to respond to the fixed suspension offer.

The following Fast Track Player Reference has also been received and will be dealt with by a Tribunal on Thursday, 21st August 2014.

Alleged Party in Breach: Dave Mackay (St Johnstone)
Match: St Johnstone v Celtic, SPFL Premiership, 13th August 2014.
Case: Claim of wrongful dismissal for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity

JimBHibees
15-08-2014, 02:57 PM
http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2566&newsCategoryID=1&newsID=13600

Two match ban offered

Interesting wording 'caused the referee to make an incorrect decision'. So the ref wasnt in any way responsible for making the incorrect decision which was blatantly obvious.

TRC
15-08-2014, 03:06 PM
Why can't clubs ask for refs to be banned, if they get the big decisions wrong they too should be banned for gross misconduct

Argylehibby
15-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Interesting wording 'caused the referee to make an incorrect decision'. So the ref wasnt in any way responsible for making the incorrect decision which was blatantly obvious.

That's one of the problems with this rule. If the referee doesn't make an incorrect decision the diver gets a booking and that's it. The offence is the fact that the ref was conned not that the player dived. Crazy!