PDA

View Full Version : Pat Fenlon (possibly) back in football

Carheenlea
04-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Pat Fenlon is to be offered the Shamrock Rovers managerial job at the end of this week. If he takes up the offer I wish him nothing but the best of luck. Maybe the experience on a bigger platform will stand him in good stead to improve as a manager and bring success to Shamrock Rovers, like he has done in the past in Ireland.

Billy Whizz
04-08-2014, 04:31 PM
Pat Fenlon is to be offered the Shamrock Rovers managerial job at the end of this week. If he takes up the offer I wish him nothing but the best of luck. Maybe the experience on a bigger platform will stand him in good stead to improve as a manager and bring success to Shamrock Rovers, like he has done in the past in Ireland.

I thought he'd taken over as Manager of Glentoran?

Elephant Stone
04-08-2014, 04:36 PM
I'm very confident he'll be a good manager wherever he goes and wish him all the best.

cam2644
04-08-2014, 04:38 PM
I wish him well.

TheFamous1875
04-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Wish him he best, he seemed a genuine guy who took our club to his heart and did all he could. It was too big a step from Irish football to one of Scotland's biggest clubs and in regards to his trajectory he did well.

A club with Hibernian's expectation, pressure and demand it was too big a step up from Irish football and it showed.

I would imagine he'd have learned a lot of lessons from his time here and he seems the time of guy who will take them on board and improve.

I hope he does well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PeeJay
04-08-2014, 05:00 PM

Thought he was completely out of his depth at ER, but I see no reason not to wish him well with Shamrock Rovers ...

Pretty Boy
04-08-2014, 05:06 PM
He'll do very well there back at his level. I don't mean that as an insult but Hibs was a huge step up for him and I don't think he was capable of taking it.

micka_weer
04-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Good luck Pat

Carheenlea
04-08-2014, 05:21 PM
I thought he'd taken over as Manager of Glentoran?

There was no mention of Glentoran in the news article I read this morning. Have found the piece online -http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/rovers-to-offer-fenlon-the-hot-seat-as-croly-hits-back-30481144.html

GlenrothesHibee
04-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Wish him he best, he seemed a genuine guy who took our club to his heart and did all he could. It was too big a step from Irish football to one of Scotland's biggest clubs and in regards to his trajectory he did well.

A club with Hibernian's expectation, pressure and demand it was too big a step up from Irish football and it showed.

I would imagine he'd have learned a lot of lessons from his time here and he seems the time of guy who will take them on board and improve.

I hope he does well.

Respect your post but this is exactly what is wrong. We are now a joke of a club. Have been for years. We were lucky to get a manager of Fenlons calibre tbh. We are far from Billy big times and if we started to accept it we might start to progress as a club

Eyrie
04-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Good luck to him. Fenlon did his best for us, and that was better than what we got from either his predecessor or his replacement.

iwasthere1972
04-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Did his best for us which obviously wasn't good enough but was a decent guy and I hope he does well in his next job.

Zazu62
04-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Respect your post but this is exactly what is wrong. We are now a joke of a club. Have been for years. We were lucky to get a manager of Fenlons calibre tbh. We are far from Billy big times and if we started to accept it we might start to progress as a club

We were lucky to get a manager of fenlons calibre ? What a strange statement .

Hibby Bairn
04-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Hibs are not a huge step up from Irish football.

MWHIBBIES
04-08-2014, 08:18 PM
We'd still be in the top division if he had stayed until the end of the season, best of luck to him.

Albion Hibs
04-08-2014, 08:19 PM
It does not surprise me that it has taken fenlon so long to even get close to a job, he is a hopeless manager.

R'Albin
04-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Hibs are not a huge step up from Irish football.

Our fanbase is absolutely huge compared to Shamrock's and it's the biggest team in Irish football. While we probably haven't been a massive step up in quality in the last year in terms of performances their average attendance is less than half of ours (probably be nearer a third but I can't be arsed checking). In addition to that I imagine dealing with the Scottish media is a hell of a lot harder than dealing with the Irish. Hibs was a massive step up and it put him under a lot more pressure than he will receive over there.

I honestly think Fenlon will turn out to be a good manager and one day he may come back up to this level. He seems like one of these guys who will learn and be willing to re-evaluate his philosophy and improve it. It was never going to work for him at Hibs, especially towards the end where he just seemed to panic and go ridiculously defensive every game, but now he's had time to relax for a while IMO he'll come back and be an improved coach.

TheFamous1875
04-08-2014, 08:28 PM
I think his undoubted success in Irish football and his undoubted failure in Scottish football proved there was a huge difference between the demands and pressures of both domestic games.

Hibby Bairn
04-08-2014, 08:29 PM
I meant in terms of overall team and player quality. Hibs v Shamrock would be a close game. And I bet they wouldn't lose 0-7 at home to Malmo :(

In short it had nothing to do with "huge step up" and everything to do with Pat Fenlon as a football manager.

My worst period in 35 years of following Hibs and the man that stopped me going regularly to Easter Road.

Golden Bear
04-08-2014, 08:32 PM
I meant in terms of overall team and player quality. Hibs v Shamrock would be a close game. And I bet they wouldn't lose 0-7 at home to Malmo :(

In short it had nothing to do with "huge step up" and everything to do with Pat Fenlon as a football manager.

My worst period in 35 years of following Hibs and the man that stopped me going regularly to Easter Road.

I wish PF all the best but at the same time you're post is absolutely spot on.

erin go bragh
04-08-2014, 08:34 PM
We'd still be in the top division if he had stayed until the end of the season, best of luck to him.

Agree with your point but our lack of pace and creativity was down to him .
Wish him all the best .

Ggtth

Lee
04-08-2014, 08:38 PM
I wish PF all the best but at the same time you're post is absolutely spot on.

All the best to him and good luck - gave it his all at ER, just didn't work out. At least he was honest enough to admit it, unlike some of the managers we've had in the past

Thecat23
04-08-2014, 08:57 PM
I'm very confident he'll be a good manager wherever he goes and wish him all the best.

Good luck to him but what makes you think he would be good wherever he went when he didn't do well here?

And please don't mention those cup finals, it makes me sick some folk accept failure in such a manner. Finals are there to be won and the way we rolled over in both was nothing short of embarrassing! He got it all wrong and the dressing room was a shambles.

Jonnyboy
04-08-2014, 09:01 PM
At the end of the day, Pat failed at Hibs but I wish him no ill. Colin Calderwood on the other hand ................

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-08-2014, 09:04 PM
All the best Pat.

Looked like Jose Mourinho in comparison to that buffoon that replaced him. A buffoon with far more experience. We would undoubtedly still be in the top division if Pat had stayed until the summer but can't be helped now. Was probably correct for him to leave when he did, just a shame that he was replaced with an absolute wrecking ball!!

In fact, here's Butcher leaving East Mains for the final time. Utter wrecking ball

SteveHFC
04-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Good luck to him but what makes you think he would be good wherever he went when he didn't do well here?

And please don't mention those cup finals, it makes me sick some folk accept failure in such a manner. Finals are there to be won and the way we rolled over in both was nothing short of embarrassing! He got it all wrong and the dressing room was a shambles.

Don't forget the worst home defeat in Europe :rolleyes:.

Fenlon should have been sacked after that cup final.

Thecat23
04-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Don't forget the worst home defeat in Europe :rolleyes:.

Fenlon should have been sacked after that cup final.

Yep worst result for a Scottish team in Europe.. Cheers Pat 👍

Billy McKirdy
04-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Putting aside his tactical failings, he got us to two Scottish Cup Final's in a row and ignoring the result's of both these games that was no mean feat, I wish him nothing but the very best in whatever job he secures, he came, tried and failed to conquer, but nobody can ever accuse him of not trying his very best to succeed.
Best of luck Pat :thumbsup:

Elephant Stone
04-08-2014, 09:23 PM

I think he did well here, so do lots of people. I've said my piece on Pat loads on here and don't wanna sound like a broken record, just want to wish him all the best. I hope he does well and I think he will.

Thecat23
04-08-2014, 09:27 PM
I think he did well here, so do lots of people. I've said my piece on Pat loads on here and don't wanna sound like a broken record, just want to wish him all the best. I hope he does well and I think he will.

I hope he does well myself I was just wondering what makes you think he'd do well wherever he went. Maybe in Ireland as it's not as big as here.

Fair dos if you think he done well. I think he was poor and we started excepting rank rotten standards as it was so bad under CC.

At least he got us Griffiths so have to give him credit for that!

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-08-2014, 09:35 PM
I hope he does well myself I was just wondering what makes you think he'd do well wherever he went. Maybe in Ireland as it's not as big as here.

Fair dos if you think he done well. I think he was poor and we started excepting rank rotten standards as it was so bad under CC.

At least he got us Griffiths so have to give him credit for that!

Sadly it was Clown Calderwood who first brought in Sparky. Not giving him credit though as I don't think it was entirely his decision. I also struggle to give him credit for anything as I loathe him so much haha

Thecat23
04-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Sadly it was Clown Calderwood who first brought in Sparky. Not giving him credit though as I don't think it was entirely his decision. I also struggle to give him credit for anything as I loathe him so much haha

Was it? I've blanked so much of his bad crap out I forgot that!! 😄

Pretty Boy
04-08-2014, 09:39 PM

Tbf Calderwood tried to play Leigh as a right midfielder.

Fenlon had many faulta but he got the best out of LG. I doubt he would have scored 20+ goals if Calderclown had hung around.

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Tbf Calderwood tried to play Leigh as a right midfielder.

Fenlon had many faulta but he got the best out of LG. I doubt he would have scored 20+ goals if Calderclown had hung around.

Exactly! Hence why I won't give Calderwood any credit. I believe that Leigh, his agent and Petrie had more to do with the loan signing than Calderwood. As you say, he played him out of position and he looked pretty rotten most weeks.
Fenlon did indeed turn things around with Griffiths. He deserves credit for that. You only need to listen to how highly Leigh speaks of him to see how good a job he done of managing a difficult player

Boyle89
04-08-2014, 10:17 PM
At the end of the day, Pat failed at Hibs but I wish him no ill. Colin Calderwood on the other hand ................

This!! As bad as it was towards the end with PF and as much as I wanted him out I don't wish him any ill will. Calderwood and Butcher were much worse than PF.

SMAXXA
05-08-2014, 12:19 AM
I wish pat the very best if luck in everything he does in the future and any hibs fan that has ill to say about that is a fanny as the guy gave everything and failed simple. He left with dignity in my mind as he knew he could do the job, that I respect more than people who come here and **** us up and show no interest or compassion to the way they treat us fans, fans are the club and pat done the right thing off his own back.

yes I know some will say so I'm a fanny cause I don't wish him well, well if that's the case more poor you.

like the Bevie I'm no bitter. Any mind it's name lol

Heisenberg
05-08-2014, 07:50 AM
I wish him well. He left with dignity. Not going to congratulate him for giving it a right good go though, he took us to some woeful and embarrassing results which can't be forgotten.

MWHIBBIES
05-08-2014, 08:02 AM
I wish him well. He left with dignity. Not going to congratulate him for giving it a right good go though, he took us to some woeful and embarrassing results which can't be forgotten.Why not? All the good things he did quickly were.

AK86
05-08-2014, 01:04 PM
I just wish I had never heard the mans name.
an absoloute disaster of a man who though Kuqi was worthy of a contract, yet didn't rate Spoony.

It was his team that got us where we are now.
Should have walked after 5-1 , should have been hunted after 7-0.

MWHIBBIES
05-08-2014, 02:08 PM
I just wish I had never heard the mans name.
an absoloute disaster of a man who though Kuqi was worthy of a contract, yet didn't rate Spoony.

It was his team that got us where we are now.
Should have walked after 5-1 , should have been hunted after 7-0.It was his team that were 5th when he left. Half the Hibs fans didn't rate Spoony.

Shouldn't have walked after 5-1, it was nothing to do with him, we shouldn't have even been in that final.

Turkish Green
05-08-2014, 02:25 PM
It was his team that were 5th when he left. Half the Hibs fans didn't rate Spoony.

Shouldn't have walked after 5-1, it was nothing to do with him, we shouldn't have even been in that final.

Correct. The team that went to the 2012 Cup Final was the remnants of Calderwood's. However, the team that was embarrassed by Malmo was his and his alone. He should have walked in August and not waited until November.

SaulGoodman
05-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Correct. The team that went to the 2012 Cup Final was the remnants of Calderwood's. However, the team that was embarrassed by Malmo was his and his alone. He should have walked in August and not waited until November.

I'm glad he did wait until November because the thought of having Butcher for a whole season is making me ill!

Springbank
05-08-2014, 04:45 PM

Lewis Stevenson at right back

Fenlon 0 Malmo 9

He was lucky to stay with us as long as he did

AK86
05-08-2014, 11:46 PM
all Fenlon apologists should be hung up and stoned
anyone who can't see how much he dragged us down and shamed us are blind morons.

the truth hurts

dar
06-08-2014, 09:10 AM
Just been confirmed as Shamrock Rovers manager.

Winston Ingram
06-08-2014, 09:29 AM
http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/35-news/3705-welcome-pat

bigwheel
06-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Good luck to Pat - I'm sure he will do well there

Django
06-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Despite all that happened during his tenure at Hibs, I would like to wish Pat all the best at Shamrock!

Marty-Hibee
06-08-2014, 01:15 PM
No one ever intentionally performs poorly in a role, so providing they leave the club amicably they've all got my best wishes in their future endeavours. Good luck Patrick :agree:

Turkish Green
06-08-2014, 01:25 PM
He ended up like a fish out of water but I wish him well. Butcher on the other hand, I hope he never gets to leave his Suffolk garden.

Stevie Reid
06-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Would shake Pat's hand if I met him in the street tomorrow. Wish him every success.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
06-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Good luck Pat :aok:

Canongatehibs
06-08-2014, 03:25 PM
All the best PF.
Shamrock are a good club.

Liberal Hibby
06-08-2014, 06:10 PM
anyone who can't see how much he dragged us down and shamed us are blind morons.

the truth hurts

Aye right.

Good trolling tho.

NadeAteMyLunch!
06-08-2014, 06:14 PM

the truth hurts

He took us over in 11th, finished 7th the next season and then left us in 5th. Hardly 'dragged us down'. He was an improvement on Calderwood and left us off his own back.

All the best Pat

Eyrie
06-08-2014, 06:43 PM
He ended up like a fish out of water but I wish him well. Butcher on the other hand, I hope he never gets to leave his Suffolk garden.

I hope Butcher gets another job ASAP so that Hibs can stop paying him.

Sir David Gray
06-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Good luck to him.

Hope he does well.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2014, 08:28 PM
I hope Butcher gets another job ASAP so that Hibs can stop paying him.

Me too, Pats number 2 would be funny.

AK86
06-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Aye right.

Good trolling tho.

He took us over in 11th, finished 7th the next season and then left us in 5th. Hardly 'dragged us down'. He was an improvement on Calderwood and left us off his own back.

All the best Pat
I'm not trolling at all.
Was he an improvement on Calderwood? I'm really not so sure. It's a terrible yard stick anyway.

My memories of watching Fenlons Hibs are horrible. He signed absolute dross, he had no authority, the players ran rings around him.he got off very lightly from the Hibs fans. The rest of scottish football could tell he wasn't up the job but for some strange reason a section of Hibs fans kept spouting on about progress while the humiliating results just kept coming.
Honestly, take your Fenlon glasses off and have a look at who he signed. Some absolute donkeys.
the,team were poorly drilled and badly trained. They are facts, not trolls.

GoldenEagle
06-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Interesting timing I'd say as he has been getting paid from Hibs until the end of his contract or until he got a new job.. Contract ends and he gets a new job.. Mmmmm

Northernhibee
06-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Good man, decent manager, wish him all the best.

Beefster
07-08-2014, 05:45 AM
Interesting timing I'd say as he has been getting paid from Hibs until the end of his contract or until he got a new job.. Contract ends and he gets a new job.. Mmmmm

Fenlon would never wait until Hibs stopped paying him to accept a job. He's a good guy who only has Hibs' interests at heart.

Forza Fred
07-08-2014, 05:53 AM
He was appointed to the position and as far as I can see did his best.

For most it was not enough, but As I say he did his best.

I don't think we can expect any more of anyone.

I wish him well

Stevie Reid
07-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Fenlon would never wait until Hibs stopped paying him to accept a job. He's a good guy who only has Hibs' interests at heart.

Why would he still be getting paid if he resigned?

Keith_M
07-08-2014, 09:27 AM

All the best Pat

The season he took over, we finished 11th, which is lower than when he joined. He then benefited the following season from Leigh Griffiths best ever season but we still finished in the bottom half of the table and were humiliated in THAT Cup Final.

However, I do get your point that it wasn't him that dragged us down, but a succession of poor managers (including him) leading up to Butcher.

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-08-2014, 09:43 AM
The season he took over, we finished 11th, which is lower than when he joined. He then benefited the following season from Leigh Griffiths best ever season but we still finished in the bottom half of the table and were humiliated in THAT Cup Final.

However, I do get your point that it wasn't him that dragged us down, but a succession of poor managers (including him) leading up to Butcher.

I agre with all of that. Griffiths covered up a lot. However, I was responding to a claim that he dragged us down considerably. That's simply not true. He left us in a better position than he found us in. Sadly Butcher then came in and butchered us

Hibrandenburg
07-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Wish he'd seen his contract out. We'd not be in the Championship if he had.

Good luck Pat!

Keith_M
07-08-2014, 09:53 AM
I agre with all of that. Griffiths covered up a lot. However, I was responding to a claim that he dragged us down considerably. That's simply not true. He left us in a better position than he found us in. Sadly Butcher then came in and butchered us

Totally agree with that, it really is an unfair comment.

I actually wish the guy well because, despite his limitations, he tried his best and had the good grace to leave when he felt he could do no more. He could teach people like Levein a thing or two.

The Modfather
07-08-2014, 10:08 AM
He was appointed to the position and as far as I can see did his best.

For most it was not enough, but As I say he did his best.

I don't think we can expect any more of anyone.

I wish him well

All is true of the likes of Simon Brown and Zibby, yet they never got the same well wishes by and large.

As far as I can see Fenlons greatest achievement was being slightly less crap than Calderwood. Not really much of an endorsement. I don't have a bad word to say about him, but similarly non plussed as to what he now does post Hibs.

Stevie Reid
07-08-2014, 10:33 AM
All is true of the likes of Simon Brown and Zibby, yet they never got the same well wishes by and large.

As far as I can see Fenlons greatest achievement was being slightly less crap than Calderwood. Not really much of an endorsement. I don't have a bad word to say about him, but similarly non plussed as to what he now does post Hibs.

Simon Brown came out with some of the most ridiculous pish I've ever heard from a footballer - and I therefore despise him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/6729753.stm

Hibby Gav
07-08-2014, 10:45 AM
good luck to a nice man...

ggtth