PDA

View Full Version : Have Your Re-Build Expectations & Ambition Been Met by Hibs This Summer?

Speedway
04-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Mine haven't...yet.

Off the field, I've seen lots of statements of intent such as:

The hiring of LD

The firing of TB

The appointment of a hungry young manager

The number of events LD has held an open forum on.

The free training session

The free match

But on the field, despite time constraints and no doubt budgetary constraints, I'm not impressed....yet.

Last time, we bought ourselves out of the division and I must admit I secretly thought we were going to do it again and work out how to recover the losses in the future. That seemed a less risky approach than hoping we do enough to get out of this division based on what we've got and work out how to recover the ongoing losses later if we haven't.

We've shed 18 players. We've registered 5 (Combe is wearing #21, that makes him a signing)

The signings are decent enough without being exciting.

Stubbs is either very picky or he's struggled. I think it might be a combo of the two.

We go into the season without a number 3, showing, as the friendlies did; that we don't have a preferred option there.

We've got nothing upfront except Al Alagui who clearly needs service. We've got a guy with big potential to supply him...possibly.

Last time, there was no p*****g about. Sauzee, Latapy, Mixu et al. True, there was no window back then but we bought quality (and Stranraer still gave us a wake up call) even with that approach.

This time I'm more hopeful than confident. I'd love to check out Hibs finances in detail one day. We clearly have enough for a new first team coach and nutritionist whilst paying the previous imposters but not enough to bring in quality (and we know quality players go where the money is in Scotland, regardless of the league)

Have Hibs met your expectations and do you think that pleasant surprises still await us before the window slams shut?

Ozyhibby
04-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Mine haven't...yet.

The hiring of LD

The firing of TB

The free match

But on the field, despite time constraints and no doubt budgetary constraints, I'm not impressed....yet.

Last time, we bought ourselves out of the division and I must admit I secretly thought we were going to do it again and work out how to recover the losses in the future. That seemed a less risky approach than hoping we do enough to get out of this division based on what we've got and work out how to recover the ongoing losses later if we haven't.

We've shed 18 players. We've registered 5 (Combe is wearing #21, that makes him a signing)

Stubbs is either very picky or he's struggled. I think it might be a combo of the two.

We go into the season without a number 3, showing, as the friendlies did; that we don't have a preferred option there.

We've got nothing upfront except Al Alagui who clearly needs service. We've got a guy with big potential to supply him...possibly.

Last time, there was no p*****g about. Sauzee, Latapy, Mixu et al. True, there was no window back then but we bought quality (and Stranraer still gave us a wake up call) even with that approach.

This time I'm more hopeful than confident. I'd love to check out Hibs finances in detail one day. We clearly have enough for a new first team coach and nutritionist whilst paying the previous imposters but not enough to bring in quality (and we know quality players go where the money is in Scotland, regardless of the league)

Have Hibs met your expectations and do you think that pleasant surprises still await us before the window slams shut?

I've nothing to add to that. A fair assessment of my thinking right now.

blackpoolhibs
04-08-2014, 01:09 PM
Everything thats happened so far just about meets what i expected.

lord bunberry
04-08-2014, 01:14 PM
Lets just wait and see how we get on with a new manager playing proper football. Behind the scenes everything looks good it's up to the players on the pitch and the manager in the dugout to produce the goods.

Stevie Reid
04-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Mine haven't...yet.

The hiring of LD

The firing of TB

The free match

To be fair, Mixu was signed in September 1998 after 5 games of the season had passed with McLeish underestimating how physical the league was, Russell was an opportunistic signing in late October, same goes for Franck in late February 1999 (when the league was already practically won) - so although they show that we spent money to get ourselves back up, those signings don't fit in with the assessment of the close season that your post is all about (though I note that you do acknowledge that there was no window back then).

Also worth noting that we spent a shed load of money getting out the last time as we had just managed to get ourselves relegated ahead of the first ever SPL season, with all the crazy Sky money that went with it. There are no such riches to chase this time - and even then, it almost ended us when we did it before.

Other than that, I think your assessment is a reasonable summation of where my feelings are at just now - I am optimistic though. Actually, we differ a bit - I'd have been happy with the signings we've made if we were still in the SPL.

smurf
04-08-2014, 01:16 PM
I'm amazed at how few of quality we have signed thus far...

NAE NOOKIE
04-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Mine haven't...yet.

The hiring of LD

The firing of TB

The free match

Very decent summing up for me. I am also a wee bit confused at the amount apparently being spent on the back room staff. The work done getting a squad together up till now has been OK but no better than that ...... For me the club still needs to get in a player who can give us a spark on the park and as a side affect encourage ST sales off it.

PeterboroHibee
04-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Im happy with the changes at the club in terms of LD, Stubbs and the change in set up of the backroom staff, so there has been progress in that respect.

Recruitment of players hasnt been great through. I think the three permanent signings are good, but we are still way off in terms of having a squad competitive enough to win the league in my opinion. I also find it worrying that it seems like if we get a few players on loan from Everton that will be us done for the summer. We are definitely playing better football, but theres still a bluntness to our game and I think we could find ourselves struggling to score against any half decent opposition. Coupled with there still being no real pace in the team, Id suggest our main problems from last season are still unresolved.

Theres obviously still plenty of time, but the squad still needs a lot of work. The next couple of competitive games may give us more of an indication of where we are, but at the moment Id say we havent really achieved the 'quality over quantity' objective (weve just reduced the quantity...).

silverhibee
04-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Very decent summing up for me. I am also a wee bit confused at the amount apparently being spent on the back room staff. The work done getting a squad together up till now has been OK but no better than that ...... For me the club still needs to get in a player who can give us a spark on the park and as a side affect ST sales off it.

I take it wages for back room staff come out of ST money or is that simply for the player budget, :confused:

Steve20
04-08-2014, 01:30 PM
I thought we would have done more to address the problem that we don't score enough goals or create enough chances.

Lago
04-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Agree, we were told it would be quality over quantity, it's turned out to be neither.

Keith_M
04-08-2014, 01:34 PM
None of the above.

Smartie
04-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Mine haven't...yet.

The hiring of LD

The firing of TB

The free match

Pretty much sums it up for me.

A bit off topic but I thought I'd mention how important a signing Mixu was at that time - imo possibly the most important signing we may ever have made. I also remember being "underwhelmed" when a thirtysomething was signed from England's lower leagues when all I really remembered about him was that he was a bit chunky and that the Dons fans hated him.

We'd started that season with a whimper and were getting found out. Mixu's spirit, scoring ability and most importantly his ability to hold the ball up and bring the midfield into play turned us from an average team into a decent one. Latapy made us a good team and Sauzee was the icing on the cake but proved his worth to us later.

I still think we need to unearth this year's Mixu.

GreenCastle
04-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Good post Speedway.

Still more needed to convince me - I want results and wins = players who can produce the goods under pressure.

I have liked the positive noises coming out from players etc but like many it's 3 points we want each week.

On the playing side I had hoped we would have brought in a few more - also surprised Nelson is still around as judging on last season he struggles to pass the ball under pressure - if we are to keep the ball and pass it - that will be a weak spot. Though his experience and heading quality may be an asset.

We are lacking leadership - creativity and goals - 3 key areas to be successful.

marinello59
04-08-2014, 01:39 PM

I'm disappointed at how few we have signed. I know we are not that attractive a proposition just now but I hope we have several more permanent signings in place before we play Livi.

Pretty Boy
04-08-2014, 01:52 PM
I'm not too worried about the quality of our signings. Farid has scored goals in this division before, Allan has undoubted quality if we can get his head right, I've only seen Gray once but he looked steady and keen to get forward and Oxley improved as last season went on if Oldham forums are to be believed. A few of the young lads also look lively and Harris and Craig look like different players.

I am disappointed with the quantity we have signed. Put simply we need more. A creative type and/or a pacy winger and another striker at least.

I think we have a manager who will get the best out of what he has and I think we will be half decent to watch which will keep fans onside more than last seasons torturous hoofball. Do we have enough as it stands to challenge for the title? Not for me. For the play offs? Definitely.

JimBHibees
04-08-2014, 02:01 PM
I'm not too worried about the quality of our signings. Farid has scored goals in this division before, Allan has undoubted quality if we can get his head tight, I've only seen Gray once but he looked steady and keen to get forward and Oxley improved as last season went on if Oldham forums are to be believed. A few of the young lads also look lively and Harris and Craig look like different players.

I am disappointed with the quantity we have signed. Put simply we need more. A creative type and/or a pacy winger and another striker at least.

I think we have a manager who will get the best out of what he has and I think we will be half decent to watch which will keep fans onside more than last seasons torturous hoofball. Do we have enough as it stands to challenge for the title? Not for me. For the play offs? Definitely.

Agree with that I did expect more players than have currently been signed however to be fair the new manager's primary knowledge base will be the English leagues and there will IMO still be a fair bit of business done in that market in the next 27 days. Personally would much rather wait and get the players the manager most thinks will do best and if that is 2 or 3 loan signings topped with say 1 or 2 experienced players before the end of the month, then fine. I do wish we didnt have both Rangers and Hearts in the next couple of weeks however hope to be pleasantly surprised when the real games start.

SanFranHibs
04-08-2014, 02:13 PM
Allowing that LD was a hiring prior to relegation, I think the moves made since then have been made with dual intent, that being 1) to reduce the team wage bill and 2) to package it as a long term vision.

Quality over quantity - This of course would be perfect for any team except we are in danger of having neither. And this year due to severe budgetary constraints the signing of quality players will be far more difficult. We all know, there are no 'qualitiy' players hanging around the dole offices waiting to be signed for a few hundred a week.

Facilitate the path from the junior levels to the first team - Hiring some guy from the SFA is I think just a job for someones friend or a tacit agreement that will facilitate Petrie's eventual move to the SFA. I still find it hard to believe that in the midst of relegation, fan protests, team management being fired, players getting thrown overboard from a sinking ship, cutting wage bills etc that the first siging in LD's tenure is an SFA employee to do what? Facilitate young players through the ranks or from Spartans via the 'Transition Academy'? Just sounds like an extra middle man to me. But then maybe I am just a little paranoid. I do like conspiracies. :wink:

Untested manager - Certainly not saying this will turn out to be a bad move as you sign a manager and you can never be sure exactly how it will work out. That said, I think his appointment is linked with point 1, in that I would not be surprised if LD and Petrie had assessed his likeliehood of getting one or two decent loans from Everton as a point in his favour. Yes, conspiracy again.

I think the firing of TB, the subsequent hiring of Stubbs and the so called facilitator and nutritionist (does anyone really care if our players are getting enough fibre?) are just attempts at stabilizing a team that was in free fall last season. There is nothing in the team acquisitions THUS FAR that makes me believe that winning the league is a goal.

If fans really believe that this team will go to Falkirk, Dunfermline, QoS, Morton, Hearts and Rangers and have it their own way they are being overly optimistic and some might say delusional.

Something had to be done and I must repeat I am not saying Stubbs will be a bad appointment, just that it seems to me to be an approach looking 2 or 3 years down the road and not a get out of jail fast card. That said, if all in a flurry we see several new players singing for us who look like quality I will gladly applaud the club for trying but I just don't see where they are coming from. Even if available, quality costs money and we do not look like a spending club.

There are a few well organized teams in the Championship and though it would not take much to compete for this division I just don't think we have progressed enough.

:flag:

P.S. Oswald did not shoot Kennedy.

MrRobot
04-08-2014, 02:38 PM
To sum it up for me:

Changes to backroom staff - Exceded expectations
Changing mentality - Good signs, still to be seen though
Changing squad - Underwhelmed so far purely going by lack of new players
Changing communication - Met expectations

Understand it's harder with a lower league and possibly lowered budget from last year, but there's still time for that to change. 2 permanent signings are needed I feel; a striker and a CB.

Just_Jimmy
04-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Just a case of same old Hibs.

Football is played on the park, for too long we have ignored that fact. This summer has been no different.

Get quality players, build a quality team, fans will come back.

NOTHING ELSE WORKS.

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-08-2014, 03:17 PM
As usual all things quiet out of ER but I have an inkling there will be changes of ownership soon then perhaps for once Hibs fans can have some transparency.

Don't really fancy us with what we have at the moment but there is still time to surprise us.

Until then.....:yawn:

offshorehibby
04-08-2014, 03:19 PM
I started with very low expectations for this season anyway. After seeing a couple of the pre season games i still worry about scoring goals also worry about our CH's hopefully Foster and Hanlon will prove me wrong. El Alagui will be a great player for us and hopefully him and Cummings will gel. Hefferman i'm not so sure on. We still need to bring at least 3 off these 'quality' players.

It might sound daft to some but when AS was appointed i said to a mate that this is going to be a long slog but if AS was to get us back playing some decent football, bring through and improve our youth then i'd give 2 seasons to get back and if he got us back sooner then fine.

SanFranHibs reckons George Craig was only brought in 'cause he was one of the SFA, nonsense, he was part of the new structure hinted about the time LD was announced. Long long before we got into a play off.

I heard George Craig speak at the Hibs club a couple of weeks back and i liked all of what he said. We've been crying out for years that there is something rotten at the club and the whole structure needs changed. This new structure/philosophy is being put in place. I know people are impatient and have been waiting for years but i think this direction we are going will be great for the club but it will take time.

Craig talked about fitnesses, diet, scouting and the way we recruit players in the future.

Excuse my ramblings

Kato
04-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Find it difficult to make an assessment without seeing a ball kicked in anger.

Also finding it hard to take anyones assessment seriously as a lot of people on here said (in their opinion) that Butcher was a "proper" manager and actively wanted him before Fenlon left.

If that's the level of judgement I don't understand why more people don't just hold onto their opinion until we see what's on offer on the park.

SanFranHibs
04-08-2014, 03:56 PM
I started with very low expectations for this season anyway. After seeing a couple of the pre season games i still worry about scoring goals also worry about our CH's hopefully Foster and Hanlon will prove me wrong. El Alagui will be a great player for us and hopefully him and Cummings will gel. Hefferman i'm not so sure on. We still need to bring at least 3 off these 'quality' players.

It might sound daft to some but when AS was appointed i said to a mate that this is going to be a long slog but if AS was to get us back playing some decent football, bring through and improve our youth then i'd give 2 seasons to get back and if he got us back sooner then fine.

SanFranHibs reckons George Craig was only brought in 'cause he was one of the SFA, nonsense, he was part of the new structure hinted about the time LD was announced. Long long before we got into a play off.

I heard George Craig speak at the Hibs club a couple of weeks back and i liked all of what he said. We've been crying out for years that there is something rotten at the club and the whole structure needs changed. This new structure/philosophy is being put in place. I know people are impatient and have been waiting for years but i think this direction we are going will be great for the club but it will take time.

Craig talked about fitnesses, diet, scouting and the way we recruit players in the future.

Excuse my ramblings

Long long before? Was LD not appointed end of April (29th)? and the playoffs were May. Hardly a long, long time. Also, you liked what Craig said? I have to confess I liked most of what TB said in his interviews. And I don't recall 'hints' of changes from LD. She either said changes will occur or she did not and if she did I would be surprised if many Hibs fans immediately thought, 'a Transitioner from youth to first team' or 'A nutritionist.....that's got to be our top priority'.

I think most fans were thinking, Petrie out, TB out, players out and get some better players in.

I think Just_Jimmy summed it up on this thread and is how most fans feel.

Football is played on the park, for too long we have ignored that fact. This summer has been no different.

We all know it is not easy in todays market but good players giving 100%, good coaching staff and a decent product on the pitch is what it is about. Were were the facilitator and nutritionist during Turnbull's time, McCleish's time or Mowbrays time?

Good players, good coaching = good football.

Lot's of dietary fibre, avoiding George Street, hearing inspirational speeches, BAD players = bad football.

And I am only saying what I said in my first post on this thread, we seem to be looking at a longer term view, which may for some be the only approach we should take, but I fear we might become a Championship club for several seasons.

George Craig can make as many nice speeches as he wants and might facilitate players coming through but it is not going to be this season !!!

We need better players. Period.

Remember, showing concern or doubt about what we are doing is not being pessimistic or negative. I feel any money we now have should be spent on the first team.

It is not being hypocritical if I change my tune in a few weeks if I feel we have secured several more 'quality' players but the question was about our expectations at this point of time and perhaps I have been guilty of answering it in the context of this season but as yet, I do not think we have progressed enough in our squad.

Tomorrow night is certainly going to be interesting !!!

Dashing Bob S
04-08-2014, 04:03 PM
GOOD

Marginalisation of RP (for now)
Intro of LD
Sacking of TB
Intro of AS (purely on the basis that he ain't PF or TB.)

BAD

Continuing involvement with RP at the club.

INDIFFERENT

Squad changes - not hugely exciting but probably okay at Championship level. We'll see.

SetonClapper
04-08-2014, 04:08 PM
Despite my name, have huge concerns for the season ahead. It's virtually the same team that got us relegated. We may no longer be adopting the playground kick and rush tactics, but (admittedly in the only pre season game I have seen) we still have little pace and no goal threat. Its hardly the "sweeping changes" I was hoping for. I was expecting a much greater turnaround in personnel.

SanFranHibs
04-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Find it difficult to make an assessment without seeing a ball kicked in anger.

Also finding it hard to take anyones assessment seriously as a lot of people on here said (in their opinion) that Butcher was a "proper" manager and actively wanted him before Fenlon left.

If that's the level of judgement I don't understand why more people don't just hold onto their opinion until we see what's on offer on the park.

It is because in life some people are not afraid to be proved wrong!

So when will you make your judgment? At half time tomorrow night? Full time? End of August? The January window transfer?

As an example, what is wrong with judging Boyd and Miller a better forward line than ours? Now I am not saying it will definitely prove to be so but I think as fans we are entitled to make such 'judgements'. Some might judge that it is not a better forward line and they are perfectly entitled to do so.

I am not scared to be proved wrong. I think we need to do more if we want to compete for the title. If I am wrong....wonderful!

Keith_M
04-08-2014, 04:14 PM

P.S. Oswald did not shoot Kennedy.

Any fan of Red Dwarf KNOWS who shot JFK

:wink:

SanFranHibs
04-08-2014, 04:18 PM
Any fan of Red Dwarf KNOWS who shot JFK

:wink:

Exactly....does it qualify as a suicide? Was quite a good idea, that episode. (Even Kryten's 'You bet your ass' moments).

:greengrin

SanFranHibs
04-08-2014, 04:34 PM
GOOD

Marginalisation of RP (for now)
Intro of LD
Sacking of TB
Intro of AS (purely on the basis that he ain't PF or TB.)

BAD

INDIFFERENT

Squad changes - not hugely exciting but probably okay at Championship level. We'll see.

Come on DBS....stop falling asleep on your keyboard!

But I do find RP's involvement interesting. Does LD defer to him? Run everything by him? Is he still being paid? What now is his remit? Indeed, I was speaking to my friend here in Paris and we got onto Hibs of course and he asked 'Is Petrie still there?' Easy one to answer but he then asked 'What is he now doing?'. Not so easy. Apart from improving your copying and pasting!

CRAZYHIBBY
04-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Im not convinced. ...personally I feel stubbs was the wrong choice and to say im underwhelmed at our recent signings is an understatement....we were told he wanted quality over quantity. ..ive not seen any quality signings yet...

wills
04-08-2014, 06:21 PM
What's happened to the loanees from Everton mentioned on other threads

rcarter1
04-08-2014, 06:32 PM

NOTHING ELSE WORKS.

Hear Hear. Hibs remind me of Brazil, all pash and chat about this or that flowing football, ya da ya da. Then they take the park.

The bit in bold is our only way forward. I've very little sympathy left for the club.
We don't have the galvanising effect that comes from being able to blame our situation on agents outwith the club.

The window isn't closed, so who knows what might happen. But for me in terms of signings, the big eye sore is a lack of pace/guile upfront. Usain was dancing to 500 miles the other night, wants to play football, get him signed! Seriously however, if we can't address our attacking options then our opponents just have keep it tight and pick us off.

We do however have some good players, Im hoping they show no fear, give everything they've got, and go for the jugular in every game they play.

Eyrie
04-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Being positive - the structural changes behind the scenes (although Petrie should have done the honourable thing and gone).

Being negative - we're two or three players short of having a good squad. Need a striker, winger and CH/LB.

Being on the fence - the usual positive platitudes. Let's see the play on the pitch first.

emerald green
04-08-2014, 07:16 PM
I don't really know what my re-build expectations this summer were to be honest, because I have no real in depth knowledge of the financial strength or weakness of Hibernian Football Club. I have to say, at the moment' it's not looking too good with season ticket sales fairly poor from what I've read on these forums. Maybe that will change and the club will announce say three good signings soon, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting.

As far as my ambition having been met, the answer is a resounding no, unfortunately. There has been no real ambition and leadership at this club for years, and that's why the club finds itself where it is. I'm excluding the current CEO and coaching staff from that criticism. They seem to have done a good job, so far, under the most difficult circumstances, i.e. a disastrous relegation and completely disillusioned support.

My ambition for Hibs is to be in the top three of the SPL, being serious challengers for the two main cup competitions, winning the Scottish Cup in my lifetime, and competing well in European competitions. Right now, my club is light years away from that.

truehibernian
04-08-2014, 07:21 PM
No goals scored v Pars and East Fife - sadly it'll be a season of same old same old. Goals win games, pace creates chances - we have not signed any 'quality' players but that does not surprise me as it's down to what division we are in. The team has no genuine width either, other than Harris and a very raw, untried Todd.

Like Stubbs though, like his outlook and he is fresh and positive. Like the fact the youth academy is restructured too.

Just a real shame Sir Tom and Co didn't invest in a marquee signing or two......now that the season ticket payment deadline has passed I'm afraid we are down to a squad that looks very bare and if we get injuries, which again, seems to blight Hibs, we will struggle again this season. Sorry but that's how I feel at this stage of pre-season.

c31
04-08-2014, 07:32 PM
We have just fallen deeper I'm afraid, good players win games and we don't seem to have very many maybe they will surprise us before the window shuts and sign a few but I wouldn't hold me breath waiting for that.

There's a wee bit hope but I think we will be lucky to finish fifth or sixth with this squad but I'm hopping I'm proved wrong.

Stonewall
04-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Oh good! Another pointless thread aimed at slagging off Hibs. For goodness sake give it a rest.

DH1875
04-08-2014, 07:51 PM
My expectations haven't been met and to be honest, it's got naff all to do with wither Rod is still here or not so I haven't voted.

HFC 0-7
04-08-2014, 08:04 PM
So far there has been a lot of talk about changes, yes back room staff have come in, but we have been in these situations before. Petrie has taken a back seat before but it never panned out and he returned, not saying that will happen again, but I won't accept these changes as everything now being rosey. It always seems to be off field achievements with hibs, it's time for onfield, but with the lack of signings and quality in the team, I can't see too much to shout about.

Last season was my sons first season ticket and he was so bored at the games (as was I a lot of the time!) that I struggled to talk him into going this season. He was asking me if it was going to be more exciting and to be honest I felt like I was lying when I told him it would be. Hibs have a real chance of bringing a big feel good factor back to the club, gaining promotion at the first time would be brilliant but I can't help but feel we have dragged our heels and other clubs are better prepared.

bingo70
04-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Lot if people complaining that we've got much the same squad as last year but most seem to agree we should never have gone down with the players we did. That should mean that the same players with better management should be pretty competitive at this level and certainly more than a match for hearts.

I would like us to add more pace to the attack but I don't think keeping the nucleus to last season's squad is necessarily a bad thing.

I just hope Stubbs doesn't bottle it and go for a few last minute panic buys to beef up the squad.

Lee
04-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Mine haven't...yet.

The hiring of LD

The firing of TB

The free match

I think this pretty much sums it up in a nutshell for me...

Swedish hibee
04-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Oh good! Another pointless thread aimed at slagging off Hibs. For goodness sake give it a rest.

Well said.

rcarter1
04-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Lot if people complaining that we've got much the same squad as last year but most seem to agree we should never have gone down with the players we did. That should mean that the same players with better management should be pretty competitive at this level and certainly more than a match for hearts.

I would like us to add more pace to the attack but I don't think keeping the nucleus to last season's squad is necessarily a bad thing.

I just hope Stubbs doesn't bottle it and go for a few last minute panic buys to beef up the squad.

I want to go with this logic, but I suspect Hearts are significantly improved from last year. Should be a belting atmosphere on the 17th. One pacy chap upfront would make so much difference…. :pray:

Lee
04-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Pretty much sums it up for me.

A bit off topic but I thought I'd mention how important a signing Mixu was at that time - imo possibly the most important signing we may ever have made. I also remember being "underwhelmed" when a thirtysomething was signed from England's lower leagues when all I really remembered about him was that he was a bit chunky and that the Dons fans hated him.

We'd started that season with a whimper and were getting found out. Mixu's spirit, scoring ability and most importantly his ability to hold the ball up and bring the midfield into play turned us from an average team into a decent one. Latapy made us a good team and Sauzee was the icing on the cake but proved his worth to us later.

I still think we need to unearth this year's Mixu.

I think we could have a new Mixu in El Alagui.....but we're crying out for a new Russell.

Midfield got a lot of goals for us when we came up last time, if I recall (likes of Lovell, McGinlay, Latapy....even bloody Hartley chipped in now and then!)

Midfield are gonna have to step up to the plate this season, we need at least 2 to push for 10 goals + ideally

bingo70
04-08-2014, 09:10 PM
I think we could have a new Mixu in El Alagui.....but we're crying out for a new Russell.

Midfield got a lot of goals for us when we came up last time, if I recall (likes of Lovell, McGinlay, Latapy....even bloody Hartley chipped in now and then!)

Midfield are gonna have to step up to the plate this season, we need at least 2 to push for 10 goals + ideally

I think with Craig, Stanton, Robertson and Allan there is potential fir goals in midfield, especially if we have a frontman that holds the ball up.

We're not going to get another latapy but I'm guessing Allan has been brought in to be that creative spark in the middle.

Silver Fox
04-08-2014, 10:09 PM
we've not bought enough players to replace the exodus :confused:

stu in nottingham
04-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Everything thats happened so far just about meets what i expected.

Similar for me too. Low expectations.

Alfred E Newman
04-08-2014, 10:51 PM

:agree:
Given that we have little or no spare cash and season ticket sales are down just what quality players are some on here expecting us to sign. The club is at one of its lowest ever points in its history and the last thing we need is " supporters" slagging off their own club before the season has even started.

Speedway
05-08-2014, 12:24 AM
Given that we have little or no spare cash and season ticket sales are down just what quality players are some on here expecting us to sign. The club is at one of its lowest ever points in its history and the last thing we need is " supporters" slagging off their own club before the season has even started.

As opposed to doing it throughout the season?

And where is the 'slagging' by the way?

basehibby
05-08-2014, 01:26 AM
To answer the original question - Ambitions met? Definately not - we will need a good few more than decent players added to the squad to have any realistic chance of lifting the Championship which is our stated aim.

Expectations? I'd have loved to have seen a few more new faces in place in time for the start of the season, but realistically given the ground he's had to make up Stubbs has made a decent start and is not far off my expectations of him at this stage. He's been taking his time alright, but the players he's brought in seem to be of good promise and ability.

Hopefully he makes his deliberations count and lives up to the quality over quantity maxim to deliver a few more pieces of the jigsaw which will raise the standards higher and see us mount a serious challenge.

Iain G
05-08-2014, 06:01 AM
I had no real ambitions, new manager, new structure being put in place, players looking like they have a smile on their face, clear out of most of the deadwood, all seems pretty positive so far. Yeah would like another 3 or 4 players to strengthen the squad though.

Big steep learning curve ahead, lets just see how it all goes, actually strangely optimistic and quite excited for the new season...when will I ever learn :greengrin

heretoday
05-08-2014, 06:11 AM
I wanted more new blood. I fear they will get caught short if there are injuries to key men.

flash
05-08-2014, 06:12 AM

I agree it's not slagging. Starting a thread where you know it will end with the club getting it tight from all angles is surely trolling not slagging.

Turkish Green
05-08-2014, 06:17 AM
The Turkish jury is still out. Happy with the changes made but just not enough of them.

Alfred E Newman
05-08-2014, 06:38 AM

It's on here, and the rest of social media . I gave up on the Facebook Rumours site for that reason. I am all for constructive criticism but all summer there has been a constant slagging from certain quarters of anything Hibs try to do.
I am no happy clapper and at my age I despair at times at the way the club has been allowed to decline but I still live in hope that better times will come again. Stubbs may not have been everyone's choice of manager and I have to admit he was not mine but since he has come in I like the way he talks, and I like the way he is determined to change the dreadful style of football we have been subjected to in recent times. Of course he is a rookie manager which makes his task of turning the club round even harder but I am prepared to give him a chance.

blackpoolhibs
05-08-2014, 06:53 AM
It's on here, and the rest of social media . I gave up on the Facebook Rumours site for that reason. I am all for constructive criticism but all summer there has been a constant slagging from certain quarters of anything Hibs try to do.
I am no happy clapper and at my age I despair at times at the way the club has been allowed to decline but I still live in hope that better times will come again. Stubbs may not have been everyone's choice of manager and I have to admit he was not mine but since he has come in I like the way he talks, and I like the way he is determined to change the dreadful style of football we have been subjected to in recent times. Of course he is a rookie manager which makes his task of turning the club round even harder but I am prepared to give him a chance.

The club has put itself right in the front line to be absolutely slaughtered by fans media and anyone connected with football.

Of course the new management deserve a chance, but where i feel they are on a hiding is because a lot of the support have had enough, and seen this scenario so many times before, they just dont believe Hibs can improve anymore?

Now thats wrong, but understandable dont you think? I personally think we have a long way to go before we are ready enough to be able to win a play off place, as thats as good as we can manage this season. Denying this is ridiculous, and predicting a team that will win this league is as much trolling as saying we will struggle.

Anyone who thinks we will win this league this season is in for a very disappointing time. This season is all about getting us into a position where we can challenge for a play off place, and then try and win it.

As it stands, i don't believe we can with what we have available, but we still have the rest of this window and another in January.

This is when we need to be able to judge how the rebuild has really gone, and when it matters.

Hibs7
05-08-2014, 07:00 AM

I am sorry but this is a perfect example where the club should stretch its budget to give the team a much better chance of promotion at the first attempt ... There has been no signs that is what they are aiming for .

Don Giovanni
05-08-2014, 07:06 AM
So far there has been a lot of talk about changes, yes back room staff have come in, but we have been in these situations before. Petrie has taken a back seat before but it never panned out and he returned, not saying that will happen again, but I won't accept these changes as everything now being rosey. It always seems to be off field achievements with hibs, it's time for onfield, but with the lack of signings and quality in the team, I can't see too much to shout about.

Last season was my sons first season ticket and he was so bored at the games (as was I a lot of the time!) that I struggled to talk him into going this season. He was asking me if it was going to be more exciting and to be honest I felt like I was lying when I told him it would be. Hibs have a real chance of bringing a big feel good factor back to the club, gaining promotion at the first time would be brilliant but I can't help but feel we have dragged our heels and other clubs are better prepared.

Good post.

Hope your laddie can stick it out during these tough times - it's been really difficult viewing these last few seasons.

SanFranHibs
05-08-2014, 07:20 AM

I have just gone through all the posts up to yours and see very little 'slagging'.

The OP asked a fair question. Have Hibs done enough or met your expectations? What is the problem with that?

And if you read most of the replies people who have been disappointed are only giving their opinion that we could do with several good additions to the squad. Is that slagging?

So, no-one is supopsed to give their opinion on anything that Hibs do? Or you can only give your opinion if it is a 'life is wonderful at ER, no problems, league title is in the bag, LD walks on water...et al. Maybe we should stop praising things too. In fact I am going to hold off on giving my opinion on the 'new' East Stand, just in case it falls down in the next 10 years.

Maybe you are trying to redefine slagging as anything said without a :greengrin on ones face and a chorus of 'The sun has got his hat on'.

Indeed, if anyone done some 'slagging' on this thread it would have been me, regarding our acquiring a 'facilitator' and nutritionist. But as far as the team goes all I have said and most others is that we have done enough to challenge for the title. That is not slagging Hibs, just an assessment of the moves thus far made. I have never even 'slagged' the appointment of Stubbs. Could turn out to be a great move. Managers are a lot harder to prejudge. Most players come with a playing c.v. but Stubbs is an unknown quantity as a head coach.

But if your contribution is to merely to slag off valid threads....feel free. That is what these forums are all about. Peoples views, opinions, judgements, humour (Sorry Dashing Bob) and hopefully, in our case rare :wink:, some celebrations!

Alfred E Newman
05-08-2014, 07:44 AM
I am sorry but this is a perfect example where the club should stretch its budget to give the team a much better chance of promotion at the first attempt ... There has been no signs that is what they are aiming for .

What if we stretch the budget and don't go up?

Ronniekirk
05-08-2014, 08:05 AM
I have just gone through all the posts up to yours and see very little 'slagging'.

The OP asked a fair question. Have Hibs done enough or met your expectations? What is the problem with that?

And if you read most of the replies people who have been disappointed are only giving their opinion that we could do with several good additions to the squad. Is that slagging?

So, no-one is supopsed to give their opinion on anything that Hibs do? Or you can only give your opinion if it is a 'life is wonderful at ER, no problems, league title is in the bag, LD walks on water...et al. Maybe we should stop praising things too. In fact I am going to hold off on giving my opinion on the 'new' East Stand, just in case it falls down in the next 10 years.

Maybe you are trying to redefine slagging as anything said without a :greengrin on ones face and a chorus of 'The sun has got his hat on'.

Indeed, if anyone done some 'slagging' on this thread it would have been me, regarding our acquiring a 'facilitator' and nutritionist. But as far as the team goes all I have said and most others is that we have done enough to challenge for the title. That is not slagging Hibs, just an assessment of the moves thus far made. I have never even 'slagged' the appointment of Stubbs. Could turn out to be a great move. Managers are a lot harder to prejudge. Most players come with a playing c.v. but Stubbs is an unknown quantity as a head coach.

But if your contribution is to merely to slag off valid threads....feel free. That is what these forums are all about. Peoples views, opinions, judgements, humour (Sorry Dashing Bob) and hopefully, in our case rare :wink:, some celebrations!

I think everyone knew that relegation was going to come with a price tag and that without a Scottish cup final to inflate season ticket sales for this season the only way to shift decent amounts would be bring the price down or bring in quality players.i understand why L D after the briefest of consultations with fans she was meeting with opted for the status qup and am sure she hoped the Backroom changes would encourage folk to continue to back the club .
However it's clear the last number of years have seen a decline of the product on the park and that combined with no cup final and relegation and the manner that occurred have indeed impacted on our core support willing to just put money up front
While no one would argue with the Philosophy of brining in Quality over quantity the number of signings to date have been a few short of what the majority of fans expected I would think You would have to assume a few players may haveturned down offers as they can get better elsewhere which would have been expected .However we don't yet have the squad in depth that is needed to sustain a challenge for the title A couple of injuries in the first three competitive games would isee us struggle and with Cummings out and Heff clearly not match fit we could be in a precarious position in a couple of games time .But equally we could come through unscathed have added more quality to the squad and the players who under performed last season may have made amends and be playing with confidence and to thier full potential .
We just don't know .i will be there tonight cheering the team on and looking for indicators of how things are shaping up Scoring is an imperative as we don't want to go ino first league game on back of four games without scoring given that was an issue for us last season .but equally we need to go to Ibrox and show we can play and express ourselves on the field .This is the first real test of Stubbs new style of play and the positive impact training has had on the players

Am quietly looking forward to it and not entirely sure how it will pan out but whatever the result I will be there on Saturday against Livi

SanFranHibs
05-08-2014, 08:12 AM
I think everyone knew that relegation was going to come with a price tag and that without a Scottish cup final to inflate season ticket sales for this season the only way to shift decent amounts would be bring the price down or bring in quality players.i understand why L D after the briefest of consultations with fans she was meeting with opted for the status qup and am sure she hoped the Backroom changes would encourage folk to continue to back the club .
However it's clear the last number of years have seen a decline of the product on the park and that combined with no cup final and relegation and the manner that occurred have indeed impacted on our core support willing to just put money up front
While no one would argue with the Philosophy of brining in Quality over quantity the number of signings to date have been a few short of what the majority of fans expected I would think You would have to assume a few players may haveturned down offers as they can get better elsewhere which would have been expected .However we don't yet have the squad in depth that is needed to sustain a challenge for the title A couple of injuries in the first three competitive games would isee us struggle and with Cummings out and Heff clearly not match fit we could be in a precarious position in a couple of games time .But equally we could come through unscathed have added more quality to the squad and the players who under performed last season may have made amends and be playing with confidence and to thier full potential .
We just don't know .i will be there tonight cheering the team on and looking for indicators of how things are shaping up Scoring is an imperative as we don't want to go ino first league game on back of four games without scoring given that was an issue for us last season .but equally we need to go to Ibrox and show we can play and express ourselves on the field .This is the first real test of Stubbs new style of play and the positive impact training has had on the players

Am quietly looking forward to it and not entirely sure how it will pan out but whatever the result I will be there on Saturday against Livi

A fair and balanced assessment.

Turkish Green
05-08-2014, 08:46 AM

Good thought out post.

What worries me is the number of posts on .net where fans 'believe' Hibs will get promoted / win the league with the current squad. This is just an illusion. As much as we want to believe it, Butcher was not the sole reason for relegation, the players must take some of the blame. Which is why I cannot see the nucleus of last year's relegated squad being capable of winning promotion just with a few new players, an untried head coach and a new game plan.

AS soon as Hibs have a run of losses (and they will when injuries set in) I can see the negative posters appearing out out the woodwork. Unless El Alagui starts scoring goals quickly (and he is not an overly prolific goal scorer) he'll get the James Collins treatment.

emerald green
05-08-2014, 05:09 PM

:agree: Good post. What's the point of these forums if supporters can't express their honest and deeply held opinions/views.

I will criticise the club where and when it's due, and happily and much prefer to give it praise where and when it's due too.

Constructive criticism is not "slagging". Just my opinion though.