PDA

View Full Version : What makes a 'real' or 'proper' football fan

crieffhibee
01-08-2014, 11:12 PM
What makes you a real or proper fan? Is it staying till the I al whistle in a cup final when your team is 5-1 down? Is it only the guys who go week in week out thru hard times and good? Or can be as simple as wearing the top on the high street??

The_Exile
01-08-2014, 11:27 PM
It's a myth all this "proper" fan stuff. Whether you stay til the final whistle, leave 10 minutes early or watch the match from an armchair, we're all fitba fans and want our respective teams to do well. All this uber fan stuff is a loada pish.

Time For Heroes
01-08-2014, 11:42 PM
It's a myth all this "proper" fan stuff. Whether you stay til the final whistle, leave 10 minutes early or watch the match from an armchair, we're all fitba fans and want our respective teams to do well. All this uber fan stuff is a loada pish.

Well said

NAE NOOKIE
01-08-2014, 11:43 PM

If you like to watch football and enjoy it you are a football fan ..... simple.

If you go along to watch your team a few times a season or more you are a football supporter I.E. you are 'supporting' your club. That's not an uber fan argument, its simple logic.

The_Exile
02-08-2014, 12:13 AM

If you go along to watch your team a few times a season or more you are a football supporter I.E. you are 'supporting' your club. That's not an uber fan argument, its simple logic.

Overcomplication of one of the simplest pleasures someone can have, supporting their team. Therefore, respectively, I disagree.

lord bunberry
02-08-2014, 01:07 AM
Real or proper fan isn't how i would describe it but there's definitely some fans who are more dedicated to the cause than others. I would say that the guys who go home and away and go and watch the under 20s are more dedicated supporters than someone like me who only goes to home games and the occasional away game.

HoboHarry
02-08-2014, 01:57 AM
Real or proper fan isn't how i would describe it but there's definitely some fans who are more dedicated to the cause than others. I would say that the guys who go home and away and go and watch the under 20s are more dedicated supporters than someone like me who only goes to home games and the occasional away game.
What about the fans who cannot afford to go all games? Your statement is flawed in that the fan who goes to as many games as he can afford to is as dedicated as anyone could hope to be.

Hibeesmad
02-08-2014, 02:44 AM
I agree that there is no such thing as a real or proper fan in such a way but what really pisses me off for example is when a fan talks about a club as if they are the best thing ever even though they have been to about 2 games in a year. Some Hearts fan I know talks about Hearts as if they are the greatest team on earth and all they do is slag hibs, even though they only saw hearts play about 5 times at the most last season.

Sorry for the rant but it's just those kind of supporters which annoy me

Pete
02-08-2014, 03:49 AM
A "real" football fan or supporter is a guy who either supports his local team or the one that runs in his family. I'm struggling to include those who's dad supported one of the old firm because that's such an easy option.

I know plenty people who go to games involving either one of the Glasgow clubs and even English teams. They tick all the boxes regarding what a real supporter should be...they buy shirts, attend games and invest their emotions...but it counts for nothing as far as I'm concerned.

They have almost certainly chosen that team because there is either glory, the potential for glory or some sort of bragging right attached to that choice.

If you support Hibs, Hearts or any team in Scotland and you have good reason then you are "real" in my opinion. It doesn't really matter if you attend games as that isn't always possible.
Invest anything in a "glory" team and you then become part of the reason why football is so skewed and top-heavy.

lucky
02-08-2014, 06:58 AM
A "real" football fan or supporter is a guy who either supports his local team or the one that runs in his family. I'm struggling to include those who's dad supported one of the old firm because that's such an easy option.

I know plenty people who go to games involving either one of the Glasgow clubs and even English teams. They tick all the boxes regarding what a real supporter should be...they buy shirts, attend games and invest their emotions...but it counts for nothing as far as I'm concerned.

They have almost certainly chosen that team because there is either glory, the potential for glory or some sort of bragging right attached to that choice.

If you support Hibs, Hearts or any team in Scotland and you have good reason then you are "real" in my opinion. It doesn't really matter if you attend games as that isn't always possible.
Invest anything in a "glory" team and you then become part of the reason why football is so skewed and top-heavy.

Geography does not come into it. Many real or proper fans stay 1000s of miles away from their club but still support them. Tonight Real V Man Utd will be played in front of 109k fans in the US. We all support different teams for different reasons, without bigger clubs, rivals and minnows then football would die. Our game needs us all.

tartanhibee
02-08-2014, 07:46 AM
I'm just a football fan cause I love the game and its not for anyone else to decide whether I'm a proper fan or not.

DH1875
02-08-2014, 07:50 AM
Geography does not come into it. Many real or proper fans stay 1000s of miles away from their club but still support them. Tonight Real V Man Utd will be played in front of 109k fans in the US. We all support different teams for different reasons, without bigger clubs, rivals and minnows then football would die. Our game needs us all.

Have to agree with this. We might not have the same as the ugly sisters but we do have a large section of support that dont come from our home town i.e. Edinburgh.

#FromTheCapital
02-08-2014, 07:51 AM

And if you don't enjoy it then you're a hibs fan ;-)

Keith_M
02-08-2014, 07:53 AM
I only started going to matches when I was 13 but had always considered myself a Hibs Supporter (nobody ever used the term 'fan').

I would have loved to have gone to games long before then but lived too far from ER to travel on my own... and had no money anyway. I was still a Hibby.

Ronniekirk
02-08-2014, 07:53 AM
What makes you a real or proper fan? Is it staying till the I al whistle in a cup final when your team is 5-1 down? Is it only the guys who go week in week out thru hard times and good? Or can be as simple as wearing the top on the high street??

Nae idea ,but Hibs are indelibly imprinted in my heart and soul .Even if not at a game I still listen out for score and derive pleasure when we score and win and am gutted when we lose . They have been a big part of my life and always will be .I would never turn my back on them and not go and watch them ,but equally I don't go week in week out .

HibsNutter
02-08-2014, 08:44 AM
If you want anything to do with hibs after the crap we've had to put up with for years, then you're a real fan.

LancashireHibby
02-08-2014, 08:50 AM
I only started going to matches when I was 13 but had always considered myself a Hibs Supporter (nobody ever used the term 'fan').

I would have loved to have gone to games long before then but lived too far from ER to travel on my own... and had no money anyway. I was still a Hibby.
Same here. My first game wasn't until I was 16, and even then it was only at Preston under Williamson. Had watched the games on TV, bought the shirts etc long before then though.

Personally I'd say a proper fan is simply somebody who is emotionally invested in their team and goes to watch them whenever circumstances allow. I'm basically discounting the types who don't go "because it's too expensive"...and then watch their team's games in the pub and spend £40 behind the bar rather than getting off their backside and going to the game instead.

lord bunberry
02-08-2014, 08:56 AM
What about the fans who cannot afford to go all games? Your statement is flawed in that the fan who goes to as many games as he can afford to is as dedicated as anyone could hope to be.

I was talking about people who could go but don't

happiehibbie
02-08-2014, 09:05 AM
Ok here goes ! From 2009 Up until October 2013 I went to ER one week tynecastle the next towards the 2012 I was helping behind the scene at Tynie I even ended up commentator on there TV Chanel I am a Hibs fan but I love watching football October last year I got a snidey remark from one of the commentary team I have not went back to Tynie since. I offered Hibs my labours but they choose someone else fair enough. Since October last year I got my passion back for Hibs and I am really looking forward to this year. Days that Hibs are not at home I now watch Spartans EOS. I am a Hibs Supporter but a football fan.

Weir7
02-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Ok here goes ! From 2009 Up until October 2013 I went to ER one week tynecastle the next towards the 2012 I was helping behind the scene at Tynie I even ended up commentator on there TV Chanel I am a Hibs fan but I love watching football October last year I got a snidey remark from one of the commentary team I have not went back to Tynie since. I offered Hibs my labours but they choose someone else fair enough. Since October last year I got my passion back for Hibs and I am really looking forward to this year. Days that Hibs are not at home I now watch Spartans EOS. I am a Hibs Supporter but a football fan.
Can't believe any hibby would go or work for that vermin

snooky
02-08-2014, 09:19 AM
"Fan" is short for "fanatic".
That being the case, I suppose I'm no longer a bona fide 'fan'.
Seen the day though. :partyhibb

happiehibbie
02-08-2014, 09:41 AM
Weir7 That's the difference between you and me then !

NAE NOOKIE
02-08-2014, 10:11 AM

This for me too. In spite of my previous post, which I stand by, there is no doubt that there are fans out there who would love to go to games but just cant for economic or geographical reasons .... I wouldn't dream of questioning their dedication to the cause. Theres nothing worse than wanting to go but not being able to .... been there, done that.

bandylegs_jLeighton
02-08-2014, 10:33 AM
If I were asked for a definition I would give the following:

Fan - someone that has an interest in a certain club. This interest can vary from having a small soft spot to be completely obsessed.

Supporter - someone who actively aids the club. The could be by buying tickets and merchandise, or voluntary work, or publicising, or simply shouting encouragement at games. Obviously the level of support offered depends on how big a fan they are, i.e. how interested they are in the club, but also depends on each persons personal circumstances. Do they have means to offer support in terms of money, time, location etc.

I would therefore say that a real fan is somebody that holds enough interest in their team to offer a level of support relative to their circumstances over a long period of time.

wookie70
02-08-2014, 10:37 AM
I don't think there will ever be a definitive definition. I like football but over the years my interest in the sport has died off due to diving players, cheating and the way the big clubs have been given every advantage possible through seeding and TV deals etc. I hardly ever watch a game now unless it involves Hibs.

Watching Hibs though is the same as it has always been. The best way I can describe it is Hibs are a close family member. I have always loved them and always will. They are in the blood and have been passed down like genes through the family. If they are hurting so am I and if the club is happy so am I.

I have always wondered how fans who weren't born with a predetermined team through family or location got the bug and does it feel the same. I will never know as I was born a Hibby, thankfully, and had no choice in the matter.

It would be interesting to hear about Fans who have a second team, usually a local Juniors team or an English one. Does it feel the same when your second teams gets beat. Does it hurt as much. Are you a Fan of Hibs and a Supporter of your other team.

Pretty Boy
02-08-2014, 10:49 AM
I don't think there's anything controversial in saying there are different level of supporters.

Is anyone really going to claim someone who has the time and money to go to games but never bothers unless it's a final or a derby is as good a supporter as the guys who run buses to every away game includong freezing January nights in Aberdeen, Inverness etc?

Or is the guy who 'still likes Hibs but I'm more a United fan now because Scottish football is a bit pish' the same as the guys on here to travel to games every week from Lancashire, Yorkshire, Aberdeen, Dundee...? Not in my book.

For me a 'proper' football fan is one who supports their team in the best way they can. That applies acrosd the board from Man City to East Stirling. I'm sure all of us know a guy in the pub who hasn't been near a football stadium since 1954 but pontificates on everything and anything to do with ehat's wrong with 'their team' or the game. They are the guys I really can't stand.

emerald green
02-08-2014, 10:54 AM
It's hard to define a "real" or "proper" football fan.

One thing I'm in no doubt about though is that I simply detest glory hunters. Just think of the larger attendances Hibs, and other clubs throughout Scotland, could enjoy if the glory hunters supported their local clubs. It's very easy to "support" a team that is expected to win most weeks, and collect trophies every season.

hail1875hail
02-08-2014, 10:55 AM

My grandpa always tells me stories of how he used to go to hibs games one week and hearts games the next with a group of his friends who were mixed supporters of the two teams as it wasnt that uncommon back then due to travel being more difficult, the rivalries not being as big with no segregation also and not having as much money to do so. Just so they could see a game every Saturday close by. He was a jobs supporter then and it didn't make him any less of one by going to tynie with his mates every fortnight rather than just staying at home or going to the pub instead of watching a game between two teams he didn't really care about.

theonlywayisup
02-08-2014, 10:59 AM
vermin

Hate the use of that word when describing a fellow football supporter. Just because they support a different team!

cleanyman
02-08-2014, 11:02 AM

I'm a Hibs fan but a born and bred West coaster:greengrin

Only Hibs fan in my family as well, actually the only football fan in my family.

Natural selection and all :greengrin

Keith_M
02-08-2014, 11:09 AM
My grandpa always tells me stories of how he used to go to hibs games one week and hearts games the next with a group of his friends who were mixed supporters of the two teams as it wasnt that uncommon back then due to travel being more difficult, the rivalries not being as big with no segregation also and not having as much money to do so. Just so they could see a game every Saturday close by. He was a jobs supporter then and it didn't make him any less of one by going to tynie with his mates every fortnight rather than just staying at home or going to the pub instead of watching a game between two teams he didn't really care about.

My Grandad did the same thing.

He was a Hearts supporter but would try to go and see whoever was playing at home. He was an East Lothian Miner and worked Mon-Fri plus Sat Morning so it was actually easier for him to attend Easter Road than across the city to Tynecastle. He used to attend the matches with workmates, irrespective of who they supported. He was still a Hearts Supporter, even when he was at Easter Road.

Incidentally, my Grandad stopped attending matches regularly in the early/mid 70s, partly because of the rise of hooliganism but mostly because he no longer identified with his fellow Hearts Fans because of the number of, in his words, 'party songs' (i.e. sectarianism).

snooky
02-08-2014, 11:22 AM
My Grandad did the same thing.

He was a Hearts supporter but would try to go and see whoever was playing at home. He was an East Lothian Miner and worked Mon-Fri plus Sat Morning so it was actually easier for him to attend Easter Road than across the city to Tynecastle. He used to attend the matches with workmates, irrespective of who they supported. He was still a Hearts Supporter, even when he was at Easter Road.

Incidentally, my Grandad stopped attending matches regularly in the early/mid 70s, partly because of the rise of hooliganism but mostly because he no longer identified with his fellow Hearts Fans because of the number of, in his words, 'party songs' (i.e. sectarianism).

My two mates (one Hibs, one Hearts) went to ER & Tynie alternately on a regular basis in the late 60's.
A few of my (Hibs & Hearts) rellies did the same in the 50's

SanFranHibs
02-08-2014, 11:32 AM

And as a fan in foreign lands who obviously cannot attend all games but still feels passionately about their team and can moan and whine as much as any 'real' fan. :wink:

Russ
02-08-2014, 05:09 PM

I'm far from being an uber fan as you like to call them, but I consider myself more of a fan than a lot of the posters on here and elsewhere who don't go to games, whatever their reason. And the uber fans are bigger fans than me, I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Sauzee67
02-08-2014, 05:55 PM
What makes you a real or proper fan? Is it staying till the I al whistle in a cup final when your team is 5-1 down? Is it only the guys who go week in week out thru hard times and good? Or can be as simple as wearing the tope on the high street??
I was never into football until I was taken to my first game by my brother in law when I was 14 , we were playing against St mirren at Paisley,34 years later and I am still just as excited now as I was then about seeing hibs play. I can't get to as many games now due to work commitments as I'd like but still buy merchandise from the shop for myself and my little boy. I stay in dunfermline now but I would and could never support another club, Hibs are in my blood and I've watched them through the good and bad times which in my opinion makes a good supporter.

CallumLaidlaw
02-08-2014, 06:01 PM
I don't think there's anything controversial in saying there are different level of supporters.

Is anyone really going to claim someone who has the time and money to go to games but never bothers unless it's a final or a derby is as good a supporter as the guys who run buses to every away game includong freezing January nights in Aberdeen, Inverness etc?

Or is the guy who 'still likes Hibs but I'm more a United fan now because Scottish football is a bit pish' the same as the guys on here to travel to games every week from Lancashire, Yorkshire, Aberdeen, Dundee...? Not in my book.

For me a 'proper' football fan is one who supports their team in the best way they can. That applies acrosd the board from Man City to East Stirling. I'm sure all of us know a guy in the pub who hasn't been near a football stadium since 1954 but pontificates on everything and anything to do with ehat's wrong with 'their team' or the game. They are the guys I really can't stand.

I would say this is the best description for me.
I know a fair few hibs fans that have plenty more money and free time than myself, but only attend games they're given freebies for or cup semis and finals.
I know a hearts "fan" that constantly gives me grief on facebook, yet hasn't been to Tynecastle for over 5 years. Travels down to Old Trafford a couple of times a season tho, and spends plenty time on the golf course.

heretoday
02-08-2014, 06:05 PM

Correct. I started out obsessing about Hibs in the early 60s but my dad made sure we went to other matches too in order to see great players and great teams. We would nip up in his car to Dundee, across to Glasgow or whatever and we saw some crackers notably Falkirk 6 Celtic 2 with a Johnny Graham hat trick!

Holidays were often spent in London watching all the local clubs. My childhood was a feast of football, not just a pilgrimage to Easter Road.

MSK
02-08-2014, 06:09 PM
I will tell ye what makes a fan ...standing on a massive open terrace under the scaffold tv gantry with ice cold rain & hail battering your face for 90 minutes watching pish football week in week out makes you a die hard ...none of this uber namby pamby hibbie pish !!!

Im sure a few on here can relate to those days ...:agree:

Leith Green
02-08-2014, 06:17 PM
My two mates (one Hibs, one Hearts) went to ER & Tynie alternately on a regular basis in the late 60's.
A few of my (Hibs & Hearts) rellies did the same in the 50's

Its funny, thought about that before myself.. Sure my grandad did the same, it just highlights how intense the hatred is these days, and how the rivalry has evolved... I for one wouldn't piss on tynecastle apart from supporting Hibs, every Hibby I know is the same.. Same with all the jambos I know, it is genuinely one of the most bitter sporting rivalries in Britain, not as large in numbers as some , but just as bitter..

NAE NOOKIE
03-08-2014, 11:37 AM
I will tell ye what makes a fan ...standing on a massive open terrace under the scaffold tv gantry with ice cold rain & hail battering your face for 90 minutes watching pish football week in week out makes you a die hard ...none of this uber namby pamby hibbie pish !!!

:agree:

over the line
03-08-2014, 11:44 AM
I think a thick skin and a high tolerance for disappointment are essential qualities for any real/proper footy supporter! Without these characteristics you wouldn't last long would you?;)

Nutmegged
03-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Passion for the game

no more no less

silverhibee
03-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Proper fans will be at the game on Tuesday night. :cb

jdships
03-08-2014, 11:59 AM
For me I do not think there is such an animal as a "REAL FOOTBALL FAN" :rolleyes:
You/we are simply fans of football or not fans of football :aok:

The argument as to who is and who isn't a real fan has been done to death on this forum and elsewhere with such terms as "Uber Fan" " Glory Hunters" etc etc being bandied about :confused:

I am pleased/proud to say I have been a " FAN" of Hibernian FC since December 1940 - END OF !!!!!!!!!
:flag:

Onion
03-08-2014, 12:10 PM

Only those with 50+ years service. Everyone else is just an apprentice :wink:

Eyrie
03-08-2014, 12:22 PM
For me I do not think there is such an animal as a "REAL FOOTBALL FAN" :rolleyes:
You/we are simply fans of football or not fans of football :aok:

The argument as to who is and who isn't a real fan has been done to death on this forum and elsewhere with such terms as "Uber Fan" " Glory Hunters" etc etc being bandied about :confused:

I am pleased/proud to say I have been a " FAN" of Hibernian FC since December 1940 - END OF !!!!!!!!!

74 years (and counting) is impressive. It also means that there is no evidence of a cure for those of us with decades still to go to catch you!

Ringothedog
03-08-2014, 12:25 PM

Wimp, a real fan would never have huddled under the tv gantry. He would be standing half way down the terracing with a tee shirt on..none of your namby pamby pish.

MSK
03-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Wimp, a real fan would never have huddled under the tv gantry. He would be standing half way down the terracing with a tee shirt on..none of your namby pamby pish.The tv gantry was a roofless scaffold tower exposed to the elements ..and sod the t-shirt ..snorkel jacket was required ..

Hibrandenburg
03-08-2014, 12:41 PM

Simple :agree:

If you root for the club without financially investing then you're a fan.

If you financially support the team then you're a supporter.

biggineurope
03-08-2014, 12:49 PM
Fan or Supporter?? I make at most 3-5 games a season (mostly work reasons). I still without hesitation buy my Season Ticket every year. I've had " what a waste" blah blah blah thrown at me for years. Here's my reasoning... I love Hibs, if I can help Support them in my own wee way of a ST purchase them I'm happy. Basically I think whether a person is a Supporter or a Fan should be how they themselves feel and not an opinion of others. We all love hibs.

The_Exile
03-08-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm far from being an uber fan as you like to call them, but I consider myself more of a fan than a lot of the posters on here and elsewhere who don't go to games, whatever their reason. And the uber fans are bigger fans than me, I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Yep, there's almost tears :boo hoo:

Perhaps I didn't say it very well, the folk who go to games consistently and who run supporters buses and travel up to the Highlands on a cold school night are obviously more dedicated than most. But, to label someone who perhaps hasn't been to a game in 20 years but who will sit at home and watch the game or the scores come in at 5pm on Saturday not a 'real' or 'proper' football fan is, well, I'm not sure, I just don't see the logic or the basis for it, it just doesn't make any sense. It's like knocking on a random door and finding that the person is watching Top Gear and then telling them they're not a petrol head as they don't have a car out front.

Lewis77
03-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Anyone has the right to support whom every they want and that's it! I am a Hibs man rain or shine but that doesn't stop me admiring the likes of Man Utd or Barca. furthermore, geography/family may result in you supporting a certain team but by no means is that set in stone. There is nothing wrong with a working class kid (or any kid) having dreams and aspirations and like it or not, in the footballing world the likes of Man Utd and Barca hold the most star dust.

Anyone who looks down upon an 8 year old from Leith or Dundee running round in a Man Utd top dreaming of being Rooney or Van Persie needs to get a grip. In my experience that support your local team nonsense has really only come about in the past 10/20 years in conjunction with the rise of popularity of the sport with the middle-class. The only time I hear it being spouted on TV is by that posh english lad off sky's soccer am.

There is no such thing as a real or proper football fan. Some fans may be more devoted than others in their fanaticism, but a fan is a fan.

A wee caveat, my kids could support whom ever they want (I would obviously lead them toward Hibs) unless it was Hearts or Rangers. Then I would have to sit them down and give them numerous reasons why that choice would be wrong!

jdships
03-08-2014, 01:26 PM
74 years (and counting) is impressive. It also means that there is no evidence of a cure for those of us with decades still to go to catch you!

Thank you for you kind rematks and yes supporting Hibs is an incurable illness which even whiskey/beer can't cure !! :confused:
It has been a wonderful roller coaster ride but must admit the last few years have pushed me to the limits and I do not attend as often as I would like these days as I find my enjoyment has lessened somewhat .
At my age I am being greedy and hoping to be " entertained ala " The Famous Five " era knowing there isn't a " snowballs chance in hell " of that ever happening :greengrin

Have been lucky in as much that during my very short football career I got to play on the " hallowed turf" against what was on the day " The Famous Four" ( Johnston was injured)
Had an uncle and two cousins play for the club and have one distant relative still on the books !!
Most of the Hibbees I have known and know are just supporter's ' : there will always be those few who want to be attention seekers etc
and be part of the " Real/Uber Fans Club"

HibbyKeith
03-08-2014, 01:38 PM
If I were asked for a definition I would give the following:

Fan - someone that has an interest in a certain club. This interest can vary from having a small soft spot to be completely obsessed.

Supporter - someone who actively aids the club. The could be by buying tickets and merchandise, or voluntary work, or publicising, or simply shouting encouragement at games. Obviously the level of support offered depends on how big a fan they are, i.e. how interested they are in the club, but also depends on each persons personal circumstances. Do they have means to offer support in terms of money, time, location etc.

I would therefore say that a real fan is somebody that holds enough interest in their team to offer a level of support relative to their circumstances over a long period of time.

This!
Nailed it.

matty_f
03-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Well my in-laws picked up a wee plaque abroad that said "Matty #1 Hibs fan", so I'm guessing that's fairly official so if you don't have one of them you're not a real fan. Or something.

Danderhall Hibs
03-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Well my in-laws picked up a wee plaque abroad that said "Matty #1 Hibs fan", so I'm guessing that's fairly official so if you don't have one of them you're not a real fan. Or something.

I don't have one but then why would I have a plaque thingy saying you're number 1 fan? :dunno:

HappyAsHellas
03-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Back in the day you "just" supported your team and that was it. Nowadays people want to be called uber fans and all the rest. Me, I'm just a Hibs fan and don't look up to, or down at anyone who follows Hibs - we're all the same in my eyes. Having said that, some of the displays by certain fans are much more impressive nowadays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcTVXoPa75M

These scenes are from a local Greek derby in Thessaloniki, two teams about the size of us and them, with Aris (home team) also getting relegated last season. Any chance of section 43 emulating this?

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-08-2014, 03:39 PM
The uber fan thing has coincided with the popularity of social media/fans forums as far as I can see. When I cast my mind back to the time I used to go to pretty much every game it was something you just did without feeling the need to broadcast the fact to all and sundry.

easty
03-08-2014, 03:44 PM
I don't have one but then why would I have a plaque thingy saying you're number 1 fan? :dunno:

why wouldn't you?

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Cos his name isn't Matty?

SunshineOnLeith
03-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Is there anyone who actually thinks being a 'better' fan than someone else matters?

HappyAsHellas
03-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Is there anyone who actually thinks being a 'better' fan than someone else matters?

Yams?:greengrin

matty_f
03-08-2014, 05:20 PM

You can be number two.

Mibbes Aye
03-08-2014, 05:30 PM

:agree: This is a concerning turn of events.

I notice that Matty doesn't reveal whereabouts 'abroad' this plaque was sourced.

That makes it near-impossible for anyone else to prove they are a real fan.

Bad form IMO :bitchy:

Pete
03-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Anyone has the right to support whom every they want and that's it! I am a Hibs man rain or shine but that doesn't stop me admiring the likes of Man Utd or Barca. furthermore, geography/family may result in you supporting a certain team but by no means is that set in stone. There is nothing wrong with a working class kid (or any kid) having dreams and aspirations and like it or not, in the footballing world the likes of Man Utd and Barca hold the most star dust.

Anyone who looks down upon an 8 year old from Leith or Dundee running round in a Man Utd top dreaming of being Rooney or Van Persie needs to get a grip. In my experience that support your local team nonsense has really only come about in the past 10/20 years in conjunction with the rise of popularity of the sport with the middle-class. The only time I hear it being spouted on TV is by that posh english lad off sky's soccer am.

There is no such thing as a real or proper football fan. Some fans may be more devoted than others in their fanaticism, but a fan is a fan.

A wee caveat, my kids could support whom ever they want (I would obviously led them toward Hibs) unless it was Hearts or Rangers. Then I would have to sit them down and give them numerous reasons why that choice would be wrong!

That's a load of tripe in my opinion. It has nothing to do with class and everything to do with people recognising the problem...people exercising their "right" to support who they like regardless of geography. You're right about it only surfacing in the last twenty years or so but thats because TV saturation has been around for twenty years or so.

Manchester clubs are for the people and Manchester and Liverpool clubs are for the people of Liverpool. If you live in somewhere like S****horpe then thats just tough...you shouldn't just "choose" another team because they are better. You should just man up, support S****horpe and maybe the collective efforts of your comrades will improve their fortunes.

"I can support who I like because I'm entitled to some glory": good for you. You are partially responsible for the smaller clubs being forever cut off from the big boys. Someone before actually said that without these glory hunters the game would die. Jeez, they are the ones responsible for it's slide into uncompetitive boredom.

All this "it's my right.." crap should be replaced with the reinforced idea that it's weird to abandon your local team for a better one.

Nothing personal Lewis :greengrin:

matty_f
03-08-2014, 06:10 PM
:agree: This is a concerning turn of events.

I notice that Matty doesn't reveal whereabouts 'abroad' this plaque was sourced.

That makes it near-impossible for anyone else to prove they are a real fan.

Bad form IMO :bitchy:

Look, all I'm saying is that I've got a plaque which definitively says I'm the number one fan. Rather than greeting about it, why not put your credentials on the line?

I also have a mug with a similar (but as it uses my full forename, more formal) confirming statement. Just putting that out there.

DaveF
03-08-2014, 06:16 PM
Look, all I'm saying is that I've got a plaque which definitively says I'm the number one fan. Rather than greeting about it, why not put your credentials on the line?

I also have a mug with a similar (but as it uses my full forename, more formal) confirming statement. Just putting that out there.

I have a birthday card from 19 oatcake (sent by the grandparents of today's sunshine on leith) which clearly states I am the No1 Hibs fan, so you can ram yer plaque right roond ye.

matty_f
03-08-2014, 06:19 PM
I have a birthday card from 19 oatcake (sent by the grandparents of today's sunshine on leith) which clearly states I am the No1 Hibs fan, so you can ram yer plaque right roond ye.

Clearly as my plaque is newer you've been surpassed! :greengrin:

You're definitely ahead of Mibbes and Danderhall though! :agree:

HibbyAndy
03-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Pffftttt.

Behave eh. I travel fae Penicuik home and away so we kin put this uber fan myth tae bed.

Im a bigger fan than anyone on here FACT.

I dont do Kidology, I back it up with hard facts.

cleanyman
03-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Pffftttt.

Behave eh. I travel fae Penicuik home and away so we kin put this uber fan myth tae bed.

Im a bigger fan than anyone on here FACT.

I dont do Kidology, I back it up with hard facts.

That's only a Jambo thing:agree:

HibbyAndy
03-08-2014, 06:25 PM
That's only a Jambo thing:agree:

:greengrin

Mibbes Aye
03-08-2014, 06:30 PM

I've got darts flights with the old 'crown' badge and that.

They don't specifically go into 'who's number one' territory but let's face it, it's not the kind of thing you would have unless you were at the top of the tree.

......."Advantage Mibbes"....... :agree:

matty_f
03-08-2014, 06:32 PM
I've got darts flights with the old 'crown' badge and that.

They don't specifically go into 'who's number one' territory but let's face it, it's not the kind of thing you would have unless you were at the top of the tree.

......."Advantage Mibbes"....... :agree:

Touché!

Eyrie
03-08-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm wearing my replica Famous Five shirt as I read this thread. That's not enough to get me to the top of the tree, but I assume I'm at least on the branches?

HibsMax
03-08-2014, 06:56 PM
In my opinion, a fan is someone who likes the team. They may not go to any games. They may go to every game. Doesn't make a difference.

To me the ambiguity comes in when people talk about supporters. I think a supporter is a fan who supports the team in any number of ways - financially, morally, etc. In other words, your actions support the club / players in some way or another.

All supporters are fans but not all fans are supporters.

That's just the way I interpret the terminology.

Danderhall Hibs
03-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Touché!

Should it not be "deuce"?

Danderhall Hibs
03-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Cos his name isn't Matty?

Doing the Lionel Blair touching my nose and pointing at you thing.

Mibbes Aye
03-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Doing the Lionel Blair touching my nose and pointing at you thing.

Can't believe they got rid of that smilie, times like this you remember its worth.

Danderhall Hibs
03-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Can't believe they got rid of that smilie, times like this you remember its worth.

Isn't it brilliant how when there's nonsense on a thread the same old boys always come out to play?

HibbyAndy
03-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Real fans will be there tuesday .

None of this' Ill wait and see who Stubbs will bring in' crap

If your not their Tuesday then piss off your not a true fan :wink:

Too many fan dans on here.

matty_f
03-08-2014, 08:07 PM

Isn't it brilliant how when there's nonsense on a thread the same old boys always come out to play?

And not a fish pun or ****ty gif in sight. :thumbsup:

Has anyone else thought "Cod almighty!" while laughing at a picture of Stewie Griffin with a caption on it?

Mibbes Aye
03-08-2014, 08:18 PM

:greengrin

Recidivists, hardened (:tee hee:)criminals, call us what you like.

At times like this I get sentimental and wonder what the ginger one from Girls Aloud is up to.......

jdships
03-08-2014, 08:23 PM
In my opinion, a fan is someone who likes the team. They may not go to any games. They may go to every game. Doesn't make a difference.

To me the ambiguity comes in when people talk about supporters. I think a supporter is a fan who supports the team in any number of ways - financially, morally, etc. In other words, your actions support the club / players in some way or another.

All supporters are fans but not all fans are supporters.

That's just the way I interpret the terminology.

:top marks :agree:

Septimus
04-08-2014, 03:19 AM
Me? I remember the Famous Five before they became a stand. I have stood on the terracing before TV towers were invented. It is a rare and pleasant thing for me to be at Easter Road these days but I still consider myself a supporter. It was easy to support Hibs when I was a boy and I have nothing but admiration for those who embrace the cause in these tough times.

Lewis77
04-08-2014, 03:28 AM
That's a load of tripe in my opinion. It has nothing to do with class and everything to do with people recognising the problem...people exercising their "right" to support who they like regardless of geography. You're right about it only surfacing in the last twenty years or so but thats because TV saturation has been around for twenty years or so.

Manchester clubs are for the people and Manchester and Liverpool clubs are for the people of Liverpool. If you live in somewhere like S****horpe then thats just tough...you shouldn't just "choose" another team because they are better. You should just man up, support S****horpe and maybe the collective efforts of your comrades will improve their fortunes.

"I can support who I like because I'm entitled to some glory": good for you. You are partially responsible for the smaller clubs being forever cut off from the big boys. Someone before actually said that without these glory hunters the game would die. Jeez, they are the ones responsible for it's slide into uncompetitive boredom.

All this "it's my right.." crap should be replaced with the reinforced idea that it's weird to abandon your local team for a better one.

Nothing personal Lewis :greengrin:

That's a dark opinion man and comes over as being slightly scary, especially this bit.

"Manchester clubs are for the people and Manchester and Liverpool clubs are for the people of Liverpool. If you live in somewhere like S****horpe then thats just tough...you shouldn't just "choose" another team because they are better. You should just man up, support S****horpe and maybe the collective efforts of your comrades will improve their fortunes."

You're not Voldemort are you?

Anyways, It's an early start for me. I better remember to stick to my own kind today!

When you first start to support a team it's a process of falling in love and this usually happens when you are a child. This is something you cannae stop! You can try and lead them towards the light (Hibs) but at the end of the day they are human beings with free will and like it or not football is aspirational especially to working class kids and certain clubs (your Man Utd's & Barca's) hold the most star dust! What kind of person begrudges a bairn dreams?

NB. Unless those dreams are Hearts or Rangers which is more a sign of mental illness in a child!

Keith_M
04-08-2014, 07:14 AM
I have a flag in the cupboard somewhere that says 'Hibees - 81 - Champions'.

That's really gotta count in my favour